PDA

View Full Version : Ride Op RANT

DontLookDown
01-30-2005, 02:58 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen, I just have to say that until you work in the theme park industry, you really have no idea just how stupid people can be. You may think that your job involves high customer interaction, but guess what, you're wrong! Waiting on people in a restaurant or a check-out line is 1 million times easier than the painstaking duties of a ride operator. This is the tip of the iceberg of **i* we have to deal with on a daily basis.

First off, when you come up to the entrance of a ride, don't ask "Is this the entrance?" What the *u** does it look like to you? There's a line of people and a big enter sign, what else could it possibly be? And the point of the height requirement is to be TALLER than the posted height, not smaller. So stop ducking under it asking, "Am I tall enough" "No, you dumba**... Oh....wait...boy, you sure fooled me...now get the *u** out of here." And YES, I work here! The uniform and nametag doesn't always seem to convey that.
Then the other half of their **ss* 25 year old friends who are too scared to go on ask, "Where do they come out from?" They come out from my a**, how bout that? Maybe if you weren't so busy making up a lame excuse for chickening out, you would have noticed the exit sign.

Speaking of chicken **i*, I hate when nervous people ask me stupid questions like...
Q-"Is it safe?" A-"Yea, just don't sit in THAT seat."
Q-"How fast does it go? A-"Top speed: 70 mph; When it hits the ground: 0mph"
Q-"How many times does it go upside down?" A-"Depends on where you derail and how you land"
Q-"Is it scary?" A-"It's 200ft tall, goes over 65mph, and you are strapped into a 13 ton train that has no respect for you or you body and can maim or kill you in the blink of an eye...but it's smooth, you'll like it."

I am annoyed by people who are afraid of death. Honestly, you have a better chance of getting stuck by lightning, after winning the lottery, with Deja Vu open for more than 10 consecutive minutes, than you do dying on a roller coaster. So no, you will not die, no, no one has ever died on this coaster, and NO NO NO you can not sue us if you die! You're dead...think about it...

I hate guests who enter through the exit because they are disabled or handicapped. That is your problem, not ours, nor the regular able-bodied people who do have to wait in line. Crawl if you have to.

I hate guests who get mad because they cannot bring certain items into the ride. No you can not take your purse because it is considered a loose article. No, you may not tie your purse around your neck, because it is a choking hazard. No you may not intertwine the strap with your bra, and tuck in under your shirt, and pull the harness down tight, and WILL YOU JUST BUY A *U***** LOCKER ALREADY!!!! D***** LADY!!!!!
And then they just sneak stuff buy ops at the entrance and they are dumb enough to whip out the cell phone they hid down their pants to call their friends because they are so cool and important and need to pretend to talk to someone just to tell them they are about to get on a roller coaster! NEWSFLASH! You're a *o**** bag! So pull your cheap a** nokia tracfone back out your drawers, and either leave it on the exit or put it in a locker! And I love the people who will not ride because they REFUSE to leave their phone and get off the ride because of it. Well Jesus Christ, the phone WOULD be safer in a locker to protect your $400 investment. And that better have a killer version of Snake for a $400 phone! And for those who think it's cool to bring a camera on, it's even cooler when your stupid a** lets go of it and it is beamed at 60 mph into a support column and after you throw a hissy fit for us to close the ride and look for it because its a $2,000 camera, and I bring back the shattered pieces and slit your wrists with them! How's THAT for an on-ride video!?!??!

I am annoyed by guests who ask to stay on and ride again and again and again and again, and I dispise people who wait on the exit like a vulture jumping into an available seat. Get out of my train, take your lazy a** back around to the entrance, and stop throwing off my turnstyle!! Time is money!!!

I also dislike people who throw up on the ride. If you've eaten hot dogs, pizza, or any red juice-type drink, DO NOT RIDE!

But what I really hate the most is people who take 5 minutes trying to lock their seatbelt in, as I stand there watching them show off their stupidity to all in the station until I have to literally grab the belt from thier hands, slap them, click the belt in, shove the harness down as hard as I can, and then spit in thier face.

NO, YOU MAY NOT SIT ON YOUR SHOES!!!!

I also hate people who run up through the line to the gates after we close them and lock the harnesses down, and proceed to FORCE thier way through the CLOSED gates and are like "Duh...can I sit here?" "No, you *u***** a******, now go back in the line and wait for the next train you impatient p****."

I'm sorry, but guest service is a load of *******. It's one thing to go out of your way to help a guest, but it's different when one whiney b**** keeps stomping their feet like a child until we give them what they want. An example is something as the height requirement. Yes, 'stapling' your kid in the seat may seem like they are not going anywhere (and nothing would please me more than to crush your kids nuts so he can't breed any more of you), HOWEVER if the harness were to fail, the length of the safety seatbelt is too long and your twig-like 53" kid can fall out. THAT IS THE POINT OF THE SEATBELT PEOPLE!!!!! THAT IS THE ONLY THING THAT WILL SAVE YOU IF YOUR HARNESS FAILS! AND I HOPE IT DOES!

I will end with a rant towards a different type of guest. A smaller group of people who call themselves 'enthuuuuuuuuusiasts'. Now you all may be wondering why I am ranting on the people who I am supposed to love? Which is why, before I continue, I must point out that this is not directed to all enthusiasts. There are two kinds, the ACE, American Coaster Enthusiasts, and the ACE, the A****** Coaster Enthusiasts. I prefer saying A****** Coaster Enthusiasts instead of abbreviating it. What's the difference between the two? American Coaster Enthusiasts are people who ride coasters simply for the thrill of it. They don't mind waiting in line, they don't care what seat they get, they ride for the adrenaline pumping, eye watering speeds, g's, twists and turns. They don't act like they know everything about a ride, or coasters in general, and they welcome conversation with people who also enjoy what these big machines can do.
On the flip side, we have the A****** Coaster Enthusiasts. A****** Coaster Enthusiasts are the people who think they know evvvvvvvvvverything about roller coasters. Common traits of the A****** Coaster Enthusiast is they are impatient, give ops dirty looks like "what are you doing touching my baby?!!?", look like they have never gotten l**d and are all decked out in their Millennium Force t-shirt, Knott's hat covered in pins, and thier lanyard with all their 200 season passes, past and present. They are ignorant, abbreviate everything possible, and think that they are the most important person in the world because they were just made the moderator of a coaster forum.
Wake up, *o**** bag!!!!!! You're ugly, I don't see your name on that seat that you MUST HAVE or else you'll go fill out a complaint at guest relations, don't give me a dirty look if I don't open the gates right away because I'm waiting for my attendant to get to the front of the platform, and NOBODY ABBREVIATES SINGLE WORD COASTER NAMES! Shut up and let us do our job and stop scoffing at the enthusiast who doesn't live on message boards. You really don't know as much as you think you do.

This concludes my rant.

Should this post be deleted for some reason like flaming or censored foul language (if a kid can figure out what the word is, even with everything *'ed, then he/she's old enough to hear it), I label the deleter an A****** Coaster Enthusiast.

My opinions do not reflect the opinions of any particular park, organization, or the industry as a whole. It's simply my disgruntled opinion based on first hand experience.

Thank You.

coasterz44
01-30-2005, 03:25 AM
Wow, I'm glad I had a chance to read this, I'm sure It'll be deleted soon. :(

I laughed quite a few times, and I feel sorry for all the sh!t you have to put up with, but thats life, and you're paied to be there to answer questions, dumb as they may be.

But answering stupid questions like some of the stuff in your rant would get VERY old, VERY fast, so I see where you're coming from.

I hope this post helped you vent some of your anger, and thank you for giving me something to read, was very entertaining. :)

DontLookDown
01-30-2005, 03:27 AM
Wow, I'm glad I had a chance to read this, I'm sure It'll be deleted soon. :(

I laughed quite a few times, and I feel sorry for all the sh!t you have to put up with, but thats life, and you're paied to be there to answer questions, dumb as they may be.

But answering stupid questions like some of the stuff in your rant would get VERY old, VERY fast, so I see where you're coming from.

I hope this post helped you vent some of your anger, and thank you for giving me something to read, was very entertaining. :)

Glad you liked it...and I'll take this time to say NO, I DO NOT WORK FOR SIX FLAGS, as suprising as it may sound...

Carowinds 73-03
01-30-2005, 07:45 AM
NO, I DO NOT WORK FOR SIX FLAGS, as suprising as it may sound...

LOL, that would have been my first guess.

That was pretty intresting comments and i feel where your coming from 100% after working a coaster for 3-4 years. I have delt with the same people and wanted to just come home and rant about it, Although i don't not agree with some thing i do agree with 90% of what you wrote.

Glad i got to read this before it gets deleted. Thanks.

Wes
01-30-2005, 08:05 AM
Well I have one piece of advice for you. If you hate the job so much, find another job.

You said "I hate guests..." more than 2 times, maybe 3.

Sounds to me like you are not a customer service person.

Most rideops just ignore people and do their job.

If you're going to get up set at everything people do in your job, you're never going to be happy at any job unless you're self employed.

You have to deal with stupid people everywhere you go. It's just a fact of life.

But at the same time, I know that ride ops have to deal with stupid people. But you have to remember that most of them are teenagers that are running around acting "cool" (like an idiot) and they don't give a rip about what the ride ops say or do.

Carowinds 73-03
01-30-2005, 08:10 AM
Haw many years have you worked as a ride op?

hulkrider04
01-30-2005, 08:12 AM
I think a ride operator is not for you. Try fast food.

Jerry S
01-30-2005, 09:49 AM
^That's probably worse. "Where are the bathroooms?" Says someone who is standing under a large, glowing, bathrooms sign.

It was funny, I enjoyed reading it. The a****** coaster enthusiasts, well, I've never seen them anywehere in a park, but you work there so I guess you have. Something that you forgot to mentione, but is repeated often on these boards, is people who aren't coaster enthusiasts, but act like they are, and give all of the wrong stats on the ride. It's so freaking bad. If I ever freak out and start killing people at an amusement park, it's because of someone who says (about Robin the Chiller) "O yea, it uses air pressure to launch to 90 MPH in 2 seconds" And his girlfriend is like "Wow, that's cool, how do you know this stuff." "Oh, i can just see it by looking at it for a few minutes."

Montu Man
01-30-2005, 10:13 AM
This article made me laugh a lot. I also see where you coming from, and how guests act like morons. But where do you work, because you said guests can't sit on their shoes? Were you being sarcastic, or is that the real rule? Ops tell then to do that here in Orlando.

medieval
01-30-2005, 11:06 AM
haha I loved reading this. Alot of it is actually true. I actually have to deal with people like that a few times, but I dont work rides.

Cid
01-30-2005, 12:15 PM
Definately sounds like you take your job too seriously. Think about the people that your making happy. I'm sure there some kid who past through your turnstile who was scared to death of the ride, and left with a life long memory of one of the most exciting experiences of his life.

Not every guest enters the front gates of the amusement park just to annoy park attendants.

Chip
01-30-2005, 01:52 PM
Wow. You are one angry person. You take your job way too seriously. You need to calm down and realize that people are not all-knowing. They haven't worked at the park like you have. They don't know everything. You're the one who needs to do some re-evaluating. You need to calm down. It's just a job, and you sound like you hate it. May I suggest something more mellow, like roadwork?

First off, when you come up to the entrance of a ride, don't ask "Is this the entrance?"I don't know what park you work for -- though I am going to guess Alton Towers because of your name -- but sometimes ride entrances don't always have gawdy signs over the entrance that say "ENTRANCE." And some people could think it's just the entrance to another land in the park. Some people want to be positive it's the entrance so they don't waste their time walking into something that's not the entrance. It's a perfectly valid question. You're just too angry.

And the point of the height requirement is to be TALLER than the posted height, not smaller. So stop ducking under it asking, "Am I tall enough" "No, you dumba**... Oh....wait...boy, you sure fooled me...now get the *u** out of here."I know you guys see that a thousand times a year, but I hope you don't tell them what you're saying here.

Then the other half of their **ss* 25 year old friends who are too scared to go on ask, "Where do they come out from?" They come out from my a**, how bout that? Maybe if you weren't so busy making up a lame excuse for chickening out, you would have noticed the exit sign.Yeah, you're brilliant. Sometimes the exit isn't right next to the entrance. And they don't have bright, flashing signs saying "EXIT HERE." They're usually set back from the entrance of the ride, so it's a bit of a challenge to find them, especially if you've never been to the park before. I don't get your reasoning here, except that you're a stuck-up know-it-all.

Speaking of chicken **i*, I hate when nervous people ask me stupid questions like...
Q-"How many times does it go upside down?" A-"Depends on where you derail and how you land"
Q-"Is it scary?" A-"It's 200ft tall, goes over 65mph, and you are strapped into a 13 ton train that has no respect for you or you body and can maim or kill you in the blink of an eye...but it's smooth, you'll like it."I hope you never gave them those answers. I know of people at Cedar Point who were fired for lying to guests about things like this. You know what's easier? Just answering the questions. It's not hard to tell them how fast it goes or how many inversions it has. Why do those questions bother you?

I am annoyed by people who are afraid of death. Honestly, you have a better chance of getting stuck by lightning, after winning the lottery, with Deja Vu open for more than 10 consecutive minutes, than you do dying on a roller coaster. So no, you will not die, no, no one has ever died on this coaster, and NO NO NO you can not sue us if you die! You're dead...think about it...99.9 % of people who visit amusement parks are not coaster enthusiasts. They don't know every safety feature. They don't know coasters are extremely safe. They see them as tall, fast hunks of steel with no mercy. And they remember the news and rumors they hear from friends every time a drop ride fails to stop in the brakes.

I hate guests who enter through the exit because they are disabled or handicapped. That is your problem, not ours, nor the regular able-bodied people who do have to wait in line. Crawl if you have to.What? You've got problems, man. You hate them because they're disabled? It's not their fault. They're just trying to have fun. You're a freaking jerk.

I also dislike people who throw up on the ride. If you've eaten hot dogs, pizza, or any red juice-type drink, DO NOT RIDE!A lot of times it's not food that does it. The ride just gets to them. Ever think of that?

But what I really hate the most is people who take 5 minutes trying to lock their seatbelt in, as I stand there watching them show off their stupidity to all in the station until I have to literally grab the belt from thier hands, slap them, click the belt in, shove the harness down as hard as I can, and then spit in thier face.I hope you got fired from your job, jerk.

I also hate people who run up through the line to the gates after we close them and lock the harnesses down, and proceed to FORCE thier way through the CLOSED gates and are like "Duh...can I sit here?" "No, you *u***** a******, now go back in the line and wait for the next train you impatient p****."I have never once seen this happen. You must come from some strange moon park.

I'm sorry, but guest service is a load of *******. It's one thing to go out of your way to help a guest, but it's different when one whiney b**** keeps stomping their feet like a child until we give them what they want. An example is something as the height requirement. Yes, 'stapling' your kid in the seat may seem like they are not going anywhere (and nothing would please me more than to crush your kids nuts so he can't breed any more of you), HOWEVER if the harness were to fail, the length of the safety seatbelt is too long and your twig-like 53" kid can fall out. THAT IS THE POINT OF THE SEATBELT PEOPLE!!!!! THAT IS THE ONLY THING THAT WILL SAVE YOU IF YOUR HARNESS FAILS! AND I HOPE IT DOES!YELLING ON THE INTERNET: SERIOUS BUSINESS! Calm down. As I read more and more of your rant, I'm really just getting a worse opinion of you. You're stuck up, you don't care about the guest, and you certainly can't handle problems that come up in any job. I think you should go home to Mommy so you can have her care for you because you're not going to make it in a real job.

Yes people are stupid. Deal with it and move on. Your outbursts are totally uncalled for. What's guest service? Well, you answered it above. It doesn't pertain to you. You speak of money, and the way you treat people will make them not want to come back. There's some money gone, buddy. I hope you're happy.

Should this post be deleted for some reason like flaming or censored foul language (if a kid can figure out what the word is, even with everything *'ed, then he/she's old enough to hear it), I label the deleter an A****** Coaster Enthusiast.Yeah, OK. That's a great label, and you certainly are an intelligent guy. Swearing is still swearing, and people have been warned for going around our censor or even typing it too much. It doesn't take an idiot to know what you're saying. Just because it's censored doesn't mean the word isn't there. And if this turns into a flame war because of your nonsense, we will delete it. Will it make us an "A****** Coaster Enthusiast?" No. I think someone's already filled those shoes.

I think you need to back off and calm down. I'm restraining myself, but you're really coming off as an idiot and a jerk. You don't deserve to work at an amusement park.

Thank You.Shut up.

Carowinds 73-03
01-30-2005, 02:43 PM
I can understand why people walk up asking is this the entrance. Some people just are not to bright.

While working on Vortex (B&M Stand-up)i had dozens & dozens of people get the Vortex entrance confused with the Goldrusher since the rides are right on top of eachother. Yes is sound crazy even with a big Vortex sign posted at the entrance but it's true.

I'd say about half the people who thought it was goldrusher (mine train coaster) turned around cause they though it was goldrusher so i can relate to that part of your rant.

Jimmy B
01-30-2005, 03:24 PM
Many times, I've seen visitors enter a queue for a ride unaware that it's for a different nearby ride than they intended to go on.

For instance, at SFoT, I've seen some people enter the queue for the Texas Giant, but they were trying to head to the nearby car ride; the Texas Giant queue takes you deceptively near the Antique Chaparral car ride that I've seen people not realize where it takes them, only to seconds later realize the queue take a different turn and you're headed to the Texas Giant.

I'm not saying this happens all the time (mix-up at the lines), because I don't know how often this happens. But surely there are some places at other parks where a pair or more of queue for different rides intertwine and/or pass deceptively by another ride that might cause some confusion for visitors. I'm just making a point, and it is a valid question at times as Chip alluded to.

Martin
01-30-2005, 04:38 PM
At Six Flags Great Adventure, as I was waiting in line for Nitro, when two couples that were together were unaware of which ride they were waiting for, Nitro or Batman:The Ride. Enven with the chain-link fence and the gravel between the rides. Every Ride has something that says it's name in BIG letters. Either some people don't care, or they are just delirious. Nice comebacks Chip.

Jerry S
01-30-2005, 04:50 PM
Yea, also in Gadv people can't find the Medusa entrance because there's the big sign under the cobraroll, but that's for the midway of the ride.

medieval
01-30-2005, 05:02 PM
Yea they dont know they actually have to walk all the way back to get to the enterence. I have had someone ask me which is Nitro and which is Batman. I can understand because SFGadv has them painted the same color. Which in my opinion is totally stupid.

CP Maverick
01-30-2005, 05:08 PM
As much as I laughed at the 1st post, I think Chip really set things straight. As a connoisseur of these steel beasts, I am entertained by peoples stupidity, not annoyed. I work in the guest service/entertainment industry as well. You're going to get stupid obnixous behavior no matter where you go. I think that being at a park will just show you how millions of people trying to act "unique" are all acting the same. I'd be thuroughly entertained by such a situation, relax.

Ta2KX
01-30-2005, 05:45 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, I just have to say that until you work in the theme park industry, you really have no idea just how stupid people can be.

Amen brother, but I think you're going a little over the top with it. Of course the majority of guests are total idiots or just don't think it's important to listen to what you tell them, but how long were you working a ride, just a day? Didn't you become accustomed to it all? After the first week you should realize your job description largely encompasses putting up with a ton of crap, and every day after work just find a constructive way to blow off steam.

medieval
01-30-2005, 06:53 PM
After over 50 times or more over the '04 season, about 4/5 times I have ignorant people, I just laugh about it. Really its not as hard to put up with stuff like that. You get used to it and just ignore it. But as said before, no matter where you go, their will be people who have no clue what their doing. Hench the name tourists.

DontLookDown
01-30-2005, 07:12 PM
To all the positive comments...thank you for understanding...

To all the negative comments...this is venting. Allow me to yell. I've spent 1/3 of my life working for amusement parks and don't intend to stop now, but sometimes it gets rediculous. BTW, I'm not even a ride op. I'm a PARK MANAGER...

Carowinds 73-03
01-30-2005, 07:15 PM
May i ask what park?

DontLookDown
01-30-2005, 07:17 PM
May i ask what park?
No, simply because the park monitors these boards.

In addition, I've never actually yelled or sworn at a guest. You have to find the humor in the rant, not the anger. If you don't work at a park, or have never touched the controls of a coaster, you won't understand...

Cid
01-30-2005, 07:21 PM
I've spent 5 years working in customer service and two years working in an amusement park. I've held 2 leadership positions, 1 supervisor postion, and 2 management postisions. Do I feel the need to vent on this level?

Venting is one thing. Go out with some friends and talk about this annoying guest that ruined your day. To say you want to slap someone cause they can't get a seatbelt on is another. I'm sorry but I'm suprised your a park manager.

DontLookDown
01-30-2005, 07:24 PM
I've spent 5 years working in customer service and two years working in an amusement park. I've held 2 leadership positions, 1 supervisor postion, and 2 management postisions. Do I feel the need to vent on this level?

Venting is one thing. Go out with some friends and talk about this annoying guest that ruined your day. To say you want to slap someone cause they can't get a seatbelt on is another. I'm sorry but I'm suprised your a park manager.

OMG don't take this SO seriously! No guest has ever ruined my day, nor have I ever ruined a guest's.

Carowinds 73-03
01-30-2005, 07:31 PM
I have operated coasters for 4 years so i understand. I was just wondering if it was a six flags park.

Skeeber
01-30-2005, 07:43 PM
I'm tempted to delete this just so you can label me.

I also find it funny that you say this kind of thing like you are the only one ever to experience any of it. Beleive it or not, you're not the only ride op ever to deal with stupid things. Many of the board members and staff, including myself, have put many years into the industry ourselves. But we do not get all angsty about it. Why? Because it's just not worth it. If something dumb happens, complain to your co-workers, go out to the bar after work, and get over it. You have a few valid points, but even then it's not something to go off on a tirade about. If you're going to harbour so much hatred towards the people putting money towards your paycheque, maybe you need to re-evaluate your job choice.

Remember, breathe deep... calm blue ocean... calm blue ocean...

DontLookDown
01-30-2005, 07:52 PM
it's not something to go off on a tirade about. ...

But that's what a rant is!

Coasterholic
01-30-2005, 08:14 PM
THAT wasn't a rant though. That was borderline death threat. I'm a ride op myself, but we're happy people. I do my share of complaining about encounters with guests. Most of the time it's funny, but even when I'm peeved, it's not at a point where I want to put a bullet through someone's head. You sound like an angry person who hates their job. If you don't like it, get a new one. 90% of your job is dealing with guests in all sorts of situations, the good and the bad, and you seem to hate it.

DontLookDown
01-30-2005, 08:17 PM
THAT wasn't a rant though. That was borderline death threat. I'm a ride op myself, but we're happy people. I do my share of complaining about encounters with guests. Most of the time it's funny, but even when I'm peeved, it's not at a point where I want to put a bullet through someone's head. You sound like an angry person who hates their job. If you don't like it, get a new one. 90% of your job is dealing with guests in all sorts of situations, the good and the bad, and you seem to hate it.

Death threat...LOL. When did I ever say I hate my job?

Hector
01-30-2005, 08:30 PM
I thought it was hilarious, I've been doing this for three years, and I've encountered most of those thoughts at more then one time each adn every year, I don't doubt I'll think them again this upcoming season.

What I got out of of it was it's not supposed to be completely serious. I keep reading over and over that he takes his job to seriously, but maybe it's YOU who is taking the post too seriously. Lighten up and read the humor in it.

Then again, I've always been a little queer.

Carowinds 73-03
01-30-2005, 08:34 PM
LOL ^ Nice one Hector.

Death Threat? lol thats funny. I did not take that as a death threat.

Sandy W
01-30-2005, 08:41 PM
You leaft out two of my all time fav peeves. Just as I am about to unload. A parents opens the entrance gate letting the kiddies in to blend togther. My all time fav stupid question from PKI is where's the tower? answer look up. We all have rants but take a chill pill Most just makes me laugh. its all good for story time later. Try to realise that those having fun can't read signs in their state of uphoria. Smile and you will meet guests you like.

Pcw
01-30-2005, 08:42 PM
OMG don't take this SO seriously! No guest has ever ruined my day, nor have I ever ruined a guest's.

Then how come you swear like crazy at the people at least in your thoughts.

Take a chill pill. I mean making fun of people is one thing but being mean to people that are disabled is really cruel! You should be ashamed *waves finger* :rolleyes:

Cuddy
01-31-2005, 12:30 AM
Don't-look-down...have you considered taking some anger management or seeing someone? With that attitude you have, it will only be a matter of time before you do snap...

leeloo1953
01-31-2005, 10:44 AM
Well, DontLookDown, I guess I owe you an apology for being such a "stupid" guest. Some of what you said actually does apply to me!! You don't me very well... I'm scared to death on "every" lift hill, I do ask if this ride is safe! And sometimes I am so nervous about a ride I do have problems with the seatbelt or such! So I'm sorry I'm such a Stupid Guest that's ruins your day!! One thing I do have that you'll never experience it actually riding coasters that basically had no safety what-so-ever! You're safety was the adult riding with you. These rides today are scary and not everybody is going to be the "perfect" guest. Oh, and the handicapped people, I won't even comment on that one...that one made me sick, there was nothing funny about that one at all. How dare you!!

Anyway I apologize for being one of those stupid guests...I hope you don't work at a park I go to!!!

Ok, I see you haven't replied to this post. Why not??? Why not?? Oh, maybe it's because you're a "wimp" also. Maybe not when it comes to riding rides, maybe it's just it's just you are "afraid" to answer post?" Wow, I could call you a "wimp", but I won't. I'm not lie that.

I'm also amazed this thread hasn't been deleted. I feel it's flaming towards me as some of the things he said is toward a "guest" like me. Seriously, I do! Not to mention all the hidden swear words. Some of you might take his rant as being funny, but to me it's not, he really described me as a guest in some of his rantings. Yes, I rant around here, but I never used so many hidden swear words. And don't think I ever put certain types of people down (those who have an honest fear and those who are handicapped). Well, there's my rant!!

DontLookDown, you certainly have not made a good impression on me as a newer member. But, then again, members here have problems with me also. Oh well. But, seriously, you shouldn't be working with the "public". You don't seem to be a very "understanding" person.

Bye!

Chip
01-31-2005, 03:24 PM
To all the negative comments...this is venting. Allow me to yell. I've spent 1/3 of my life working for amusement parks and don't intend to stop now, but sometimes it gets rediculous. BTW, I'm not even a ride op. I'm a PARK MANAGER...
Let's see. Funny stuff, huh? It's just so hard to tell over the Internet, and the way you were cussing and TYPING IN ALL CAPS, you don't seem amused. You seem angry with people being people. Not everyone's perfect, DontLookDown. You should know that. And as a manager, you should be ashamed of yourself for posting this here. You, if anyone, should know how to deal with guests and understand that people get confused in new and strange places.
I think some of you people should be ashamed, mostly for the quote following these quotes.
haha I loved reading this.
This article made me laugh a lot.
It was funny, I enjoyed reading it.
What I got out of of it was it's not supposed to be completely serious. I keep reading over and over that he takes his job to seriously, but maybe it's YOU who is taking the post too seriously. Lighten up and read the humor in it.

I hate guests who enter through the exit because they are disabled or handicapped. That is your problem, not ours, nor the regular able-bodied people who do have to wait in line. Crawl if you have to.Brilliant! I think you're a total jerk. With this type of attitude, how did you become a manager? You're a monster. Can you even explain this attitude? You're wrong. Completely wrong with this comment. Explain it, buddy.

I'm really tempted to lock this thread. You came into it intending to rant, but you don't really form a good argument. Instead you come across as an angry teenager. Then we find out you're a manager. Are you one of those 15-year-old managers or something? You're taking this ride op job too seriously. People make mistakes, people are different. It's not that big a deal. You're getting mad at things that aren't even their fault. Entrances and exits can be confusing. Ride entrances can be confusing when rides overlap. Don't tell me you've never gone to a new amusement park and not known where you were going. Arg, you're ridiculous and you infuriate me.

Thrill Rider
01-31-2005, 03:42 PM
Chip...well said. In all of your posts. I'm not sure I could have said it better.

DontLookDown, if you meant for that to be joking and not taken seriously, then you probably presented it in the worst possible way. Not to mention, there is just no way some of those things can be taken as jokes. Some were just sick. You can't just come on here an write a huge rant where you yell (caps) and cuss like a wannabe-gangsta in the 8th grade. If I want to sink down to that intelligence level, I'll go back to high school.
If you wanted to present this in a more humorous fashion, there would have been quite a few better ways. However, that still wouldn't have made some of those arguments valid. Some of those comments were just awful.

Wes
01-31-2005, 03:43 PM
I hate guests who enter through the exit because they are disabled or handicapped. That is your problem, not ours, nor the regular able-bodied people who do have to wait in line. Crawl if you have to.

That has to go down as one of the dumbest things I've ever seen on these boards.

Because someone was born handicapped, they shouldn't be allowed to us an elevator or not have to stand in line when they physically can't?

A manager is supposed to be looking out for others, you're just looking out for yourself with comments like that.

I have a very good friend that is an enthusiast that was born with Cerebul Palsy, so you're saying that because he can't stand for long periods of time, that he should crawl through the que line? :rolleyes:

Steven
01-31-2005, 05:13 PM
I'm sorry, but as a former ride op myself (at two parks), not once did I have issues with disabled guests. In fact, unless I could tell some guests were somehow trying to abuse the system (which was a rarity), I had no problem dealing with them at all. I treated them like I would any other guest, and all were aware of how the whole system worked.

Also, while you may rant, those are all part of the job description. The puke, the guests (I've been asked a lot of stupid questions or stupid comments, including one time where a kid told me that Magnum used to be at Six Flags), and everything else... it is all part of it. The most you can do is suck it up and deal with it. Yeah, no one likes to clean up guest illness, it at least provides a break in an otherwise monotonous job.

I would also love to know what park you work for. I was rides at Michigan's Adventure in '02 (several different rides), and rides (Magnum XL-200 crew) at Cedar Point for 2002-2003.

dilbert
01-31-2005, 06:03 PM
Speaking of those handicapped people. I have seen a couple guests who were in wheelchairs wait in the queue line just like everybody else. I mentioned to them that they could go to guest services and get a disabled persons booklet and go up the exit of rides, they just said "I don't mind".

However, there are times when it is abused. A group of guests visit the park with a disabled person, but the person does not ride and waits at the exit for their group to finish riding. Most of the time though, they do follow the rules where the disabled person does go on the ride too.

But what I do find unfair is that (at least at PCW), when the line is over 30min, they get a boarding time, but then go on other rides until the boarding time.

incitehawaii
01-31-2005, 06:11 PM
I don't find that abusing the system. They just may not be able to stand for longer periods of time (like my aunt). What should stop them from waiting in shorter lines while they wait for a longer wait time? Not exactly something that should be considered "abuse". It's different for every situation.

Cid
01-31-2005, 06:25 PM
I got to agree with Dilbert on this one. The special access is fair in the regards that if the queue is an hour then the special access wait is an hour. Getting to run around and eat, ride rides and see shows though is only for special access. Those actually waiting in the queue do not have this priveledge. Leaving the line for anything forfeits your spot.

Theres no real way to prevent it though.

Steven
01-31-2005, 07:29 PM
That's why when you go to Cedar Point, they have vending machines in the queue.

DontLookDown
01-31-2005, 07:51 PM
Somehow my ignorant comment made a meaningful discussion...See it was good for something...

To *disgusted voice* Unit 64:
You waste more time and energy in your posts more than I waste in mine. If you don't like what I have to say, I'm sorry. All I can say is: Don't read it.

To those who support her comments:
Way to kiss a**. Learn to lie and cheat and you may make it in the world ;-)

Tbakmtown2006
02-01-2005, 06:12 PM
I had a lady in 2003 ask me where the Rodeo was as I was coming back from break? Usually I dont mind telling a guest where something is if there not right by it. But, she was standing directly infront of the large entrance sign that said "RODEO" and she couldnt find. That just goes to show how stupid some and most of the guests are. They ask some really stupid questions and act like to total idiots. The people I work with @ HersheyPark have come to a conclusion that as soon as guest steps foot on HersheyPark property they lose all of their IQ and just plain common sense.

Coasterholic
02-01-2005, 11:22 PM
I didn't really mean death threat. That was more of an exageration. Nonetheless, you sounded pissed. And if you don't like what you do then don't do it, was my point. Anyhoo, I only took you so seriously because we're on the internet and you typed in all caps and had an assortment of vulgar expressions in your post. So uhm, I guess I'm sorry if there was some miscommunication? But... whatev.

PGH_Steeler
02-03-2005, 11:24 AM
OMG THAT WAS TOOOOOO FUNNY. Very long but funny. i hate most of those things too. but at kennywood the guests can take purses and phones on the ride. the only rule there is for roller coasters is if you have a jacket tied around you, you have to eaither wear it the correct way or put it in the box. no big bags or nothin like that either or no big hats. but thats mainly it. and i hate stupid people in kiddieland. they see the hight requirement and their kind is smaller than it and they be like "oh billy, you can't ride this you're too small" I'm like "Lady, this is kiddieland, your suppose to be small to ride. DUH!!!!!! people are so dumb lol. And the handicaped people who get to go through the exit isn't fair either. i mean the fact that they are handicaped doen not bother me, its the fact that their whole family get's to cut everyone in line and go through the exit. i think the person that is hurt and 1 other person should be able to ride. not the whole freakin family. there is nothin wrong with the 10 people they came with so they should be able to stand in line with the rest of the people. Thats all i gotta say. HOLLA!!!!!

DontLookDown
02-03-2005, 02:36 PM
OMG THAT WAS TOOOOOO FUNNY. Very long but funny. i hate most of those things too. but at kennywood we the guests can take purses and phones on the ride. the only rule there is for roller coasters is if you have a jacket tied around you, you have to eaither wear it the correct way or put it in the box. no big bags or nothin like that either or no big hats. but thats mainly it. and i hate stupid people in kiddieland. they see the hight requirement and their kind is smaller than it and they be like "oh billy, you can't ride this you're too small" I'm like "Lady, this is kiddieland, your suppose to be small to ride. DUH!!!!!! people are so dumb lol. And the handicaped people who get to go through the exit isn't fair either. i mean the fact they they are handicaped doen not bother me, its the fact that their whole family get's to cut everyone in line and go through the exit. i think the person that is hurt and 1 other person should be able to ride. not the whole freakin family. there is nothin wrong with the 10 people they came with so they should be able to stand in line with the rest of the people. Thats all i gotta say. HOLLA!!!!!

Thank you...THEY should be able to wait there while the rest of their family orparty goes through the line.

incitehawaii
02-03-2005, 02:44 PM
^^^ That's exactly what I think. I personally don't like how you get a group of people with a big 8 or 10 circled on their SAP, and all 10 of them come waltzing up the exit. Not only is it rude, it throws off not only how we load, but our interval, and almost ALWAYS causes complete havoc and chaos with the ride ops on platform. Especially when you work a ride where you have a 20 second or less interval, it becomes a major pain in the butt.

If I had my way, the person with the disability and maybe ONE other could wait at the exit, while the rest of the party waits in line. THEN when the party gets to the loading chutes the disabled person can come up the exit and join them. Oh wait, that's how it works on rides at Cedar Point that aren't listen on the SAP! It SHOULD be the policy on all rides however. It would make loading and hitting interval (NOT hitting interval is cause for getting disciplined) a lot smoother and faster.

But don't get me wrong, I love ARC day for that reason, because there's nothing in the world that compares to (this applies to anyone) getting a hug or just a smile from a kid or adult that otherwise wouldn't have been able to enjoy the ride. I may not like the policies, but hell if I don't enjoy doing my job and making other people have the vacation of a lifetime.

PGH_Steeler
02-03-2005, 03:14 PM
and i hate seeing people with exit passes come up the exit and it looks like there is nothing physically wrong with them. i just want to ask them whats wrong and why they got the pass. someone told me that people with ADD can get exit passes because they might flip out if they have to wait in line. i told my friend we should go to the exit pass place and say we got ADD and see if they believe us. that is not fair.

I also hated when people would unhook this chain in the q line at the RACER so they would't have to walk through the like 2 q lines. and when they did that, the line would go all the way out into the walkin path and block it. I had to hook it back up like 10 times in 5 minutes because people are toooooo lazy to walk a few steps. i hated that so much. the chain was up for a reason don't touch it. i just wanted to put a sign on the chain saying please do not touch. people are so lazy. i didn't even work at that ride, i was an extra because someone called off.

Tbakmtown2006
02-03-2005, 04:15 PM
At Hershey on the coasters you are not allowed to take anything on with you. But occasionally they sneak things on. But at Lighting Racer we have to be strict and make sure they dont have anything on them. Because if they lose something it could hit and other train or land on the other track (the two trains run at the same time) it could cause very bad problems for the other train.
Guests have a very hard problem understanding that it is for "There Own Safety."

coasterdude28
02-03-2005, 09:32 PM
[QUOTE=PGH_Steeler]and i hate seeing people with exit passes come up the exit and it looks like there is nothing physically wrong with them. i just want to ask them whats wrong and why they got the pass. someone told me that people with ADD can get exit passes because they might flip out if they have to wait in line. i told my friend we should go to the exit pass place and say we got ADD and see if they believe us. that is not fair.[QUOTE]

i sometimes get a medical pass because i cannot be exposed to the sun or heat for an extended period of time due to a stomach disease. although there is nothing noticeably wrong with me, i still need the pass. i could very easily pass out or get extremely sick from standing in line on a sunny day. i was once at GAdv and was in line for Superman. it was rather hot out but not that bad. 5 minutes into the line i was outcold on the ground. just from being out there for a few minutes made me pass out. when i came to i was on my dads shoulders and he was carrying me into a bathroom(AC) while waiting for first aid. also with the medicine i am on, sunburns are magnified several times. i get alot of weird looks from people and occasional threats because i "have nothing wrong with me". i try to just ignore them but some opps have even given me a hard time, but they are usually very understanding. so just because a peerson isn't in a wheelchair or something like that doesn't mean that they don't warrant a medical or 'exit pass'.

i am not just picking on you PGH cause you are not the only one. i am surprised this thread is still here. it can be very offensive to somepeople what has been said here. i understand it is your opinion and may be the truth but some of you need to be a bit more understaning. you take a job like that and you need to be prepared to deal with crap like that. if you can't.... quit!

PGH_Steeler
02-04-2005, 09:25 AM
not to be rude coasterdude but wouldn't that mean everytime you go outside you would get sick. i mean there is no way to hide from the sun all the time. i still don't think that is a good reason to get an exit pass. just don't go on a sunny day. i mean when your walking around the park your not passing out, or if your standing in line at a food place your not passsing out.i think the only people who should get an exit pass are people in wheelchairs and people who are mentally ill. other than that everyone should have to wait. i mean yall might think what about people with crutches, well i think if they can hop all around the park with crutches then they can hop on through the line too.

DontLookDown
02-04-2005, 12:51 PM
I like the idea that some parks give people with exit passes a time to return, and would be the equivalent to waiting in line.

coasterdude28
02-04-2005, 03:19 PM
thats what has happened at every park i have been to. you dont just walk up and ride, you have to wait the time that the line is. so technically people witht the passes just have a Q-Bot, they still wait for the ride. and alot of parks have some of your party stay in line and you go on when they get there. also, by law, i am able to get a medical pass, it is in the ADA(American Dissability Act).

and it's not the same walking around the park. i do have to stop often and go inside a building. but if someone was in a densly packed line and needed imediate help, it would be a problem. i also dont use the pass every day that i go to a park. days that it is very sunny/hot or days just after i had a treatment of medication. also, why should somebody not go to the park just because it is sunny? it is the parks responsibility to accomidate the paying guests. but i guess in the future i will stop going to parks and enjoying the life i have. i am going to stop now though cause i dont want to cause an argument.

PGH_Steeler
02-04-2005, 06:44 PM
well see at kennywood, they can just walk up and get on the ride, but i think they can't ride the same ride over and over, they gotta wait two hours or something before they can ride it again. but we wouldn't know if they wait two hours because we don't mark the passes with anything. we just look at them.

Tbakmtown2006
02-05-2005, 12:02 AM
Yeah, we have a serious problem at Hershey with people that we dont believe have any problems with them and they just come up the exit. The one thing I hate is the handicap person with come up the exit then decide that they dont want to ride but there familly still can. Well at Hershey, if the handicap doesnt ride, NOBODY rides and it takes like 5min to explain that to them even though it's inside there little booklet they get.

coasterlove
02-05-2005, 02:17 AM
Dontlookdown, you need to get over yourself. First off, a lot of jobs have to deal with customers and some people aren't always the brightest. You must think you're the only person who has a tough job, lets all feel sorry for you.

As for critisizing people who ask "stupid" questions like how fast is the coaster or does it go upside down, why is that stupid? If they've never been on it, how would they necessarily know then? Many coasters, you can't see the whole track. And did you ever think that maybe you know a lot about the park....because you work there? These are guests who may never been there or any park at all. It's new to them,how are they supposed to know everything about the park without experiencing or asking question. Also, parks are for having fun, what do expect some teenagers are going to do when they're there? Of course some might act silly or even stupid, so what?

You sound basically like someone who's very unhappy in life. I feel bad for you.

PGH_Steeler
02-05-2005, 11:33 AM
Yeah, we have a serious problem at Hershey with people that we dont believe have any problems with them and they just come up the exit. The one thing I hate is the handicap person with come up the exit then decide that they dont want to ride but there familly still can. Well at Hershey, if the handicap doesnt ride, NOBODY rides and it takes like 5min to explain that to them even though it's inside there little booklet they get.

yeah at kennywood i remember someone had an exit pass because he was in a wheel chair and he ws real fat, i guess he couldn't walk cause he ws big i don't know. N-E-ways, he couldn't fit on the ride so he got off and the people who he was with was all happy cause they didn't have to wait in line, but then we told them they had to get off becuase the person with the exit pass wasn't riding. lol i loved seeing their face when we told them that. it was priceless.

coasterlove
02-05-2005, 02:17 PM
Did it ever occur to you that he might have been "real fat" because he was in a wheelchair and not the other way around? I didn't see him of course so I can't say for sure. I have seen plenty of people who were probably in those electric carts or whatever those things are called because they were simply too heavy and it is disgusting when that's the case. But it isn't always the case and if he had a pass to skip the line, I'd guess it was actually due to a medical condition and not simply because he was a fat ass in a wheelchair.

I do agree with you though that people who are with someone who has a pass shouldn't be allowed to ride if the person with the pass for some reason doesn't ride. Another thing that pisses me off is that some parks allow up to 3 other riders to accompany them. At my homepark SFGAm on Superman: Ultimate Flight, a girl had a cast over her ankle and three other friends that all skipped the line. One I'm already kinda iffy about them getting to skip the line like that since it's just an ankle and not a permanent disability. Also to allow that many riders to go on with them I don't think was right. And then when the leg harness wasn't able to go down far enough to lock because of the cast, she wasn't allowed to ride of course but since her friends were already in and fastened and it would've actually taken longer to let them all off, open the gates and bring in a new set of riders for that row, they just let them ride anyway. Didn't matter much to me since I wasn't in that row anyway but I just didn't like how the policy in my opinion was being abused.

Another time at SFGAm that did piss me off was while waiting for Viper. Anybody that has waited for it there knows how much of a mess the line can be onnce you're in the station. When my friend and I got closer to riding, 3 straight trains, they let in people in our row with disabilities get on. I had no problem with the people themselves for their disabilities but I thought it was incredibly stupid for the workers not to alternate the rows to try and keep the lines moving evenly. See, that's why some people would get upset at people with disabilities when it was really the fault of the workers for not using their brains.

PGH_Steeler
02-05-2005, 03:37 PM
man i don't know if there is a limit at kw but i remember there was 6 people with the "disabled" person. i just don't think its fair. then you get people in the line gettin mad asking questions like "why do they get to go on, or why do they get to ride 2wice?" Kw gives them the option to ride twice in a row but after that they gotta wait a certain time limit before they can get back on.

PGH_Steeler
02-15-2005, 05:02 PM
Then the other half of their **ss* 25 year old friends who are too scared to go on ask, "Where do they come out from?" They come out from my a**, how bout that? Maybe if you weren't so busy making up a lame excuse for chickening out, you would have noticed the exit sign.

lol that is funny but at kennywood the Phantoms revenge line starts by the music express and the exit is all the way in lost kennywood. they aren't right next to each other like most rides. thats all i had to say. but it is dumb if someone asked where it is and its right in front of their face.

BuschBoys
02-19-2005, 01:09 AM
for your handicap coments. in a customer service indusrty. compnay cant determine who is disble or not wheter it be physical or mental so as long as they say they are then they are according to BGW. i agree and who cares if it messes up your capacity. and for the guests who get upset bout it. they should have thought about it soon. some exit passes are given to those as compensation for complaints or shutdowns at other rides also

for an answer to the stupid questions, ya'll have work ther for 1+ years some of these people its there first time do you blame them, i'm sure people talk about ya'll before too

Thunderhawk
02-19-2005, 01:37 AM
DontLookDown, absolutely hilarious. Don't listen to anyone else. This is good stuff.

Except the thing about the disabled people. A bit harsh.

dzmatt
02-19-2005, 02:28 AM
This is not good stuff. I'm ashamed to post on a board with such hate-filled, spiteful little people. I'm even more ashamed to say that I had worked in any industry involving some of the people who have posted on this board. Get over yourselves! You are not God, no matter how long you've been in the industry, or on a particular ride.

Don't Look Down...I hope I never, EVER go to your park. If I ever find out where you work, I will guarantee you that I will go out of my way to avoid that park. You have some serious issues, and you need to figure out some way to deal with your anger. If the guests anger you so much, then you need to find another job.

Anyone who has posted negative comments about people with disabilities, you need to familiarize yourself with the Americans with Disabilities Act (or whatever the legislation is in your jurisdiction). A lot of the comments in this thread are intolerant at best, and possibly illegal.

Moderators: You guys are doing a great job. Chip and Dave, you have said everything that I could have wanted to say. Keep up the good work, and keep calling people on their stupid comments.

DLD and everyone who agrees with him and encourages him...you're lucky I'm not a mod, or you would find yourselves with 2 week bans. You guys disgust me.

Oh...and by the way...for those of you who don't think I have any experience in this...I spent four summers working in Rides at a major Amusement park. I rose as high as Supervisor, trained over 500 people in ride operations and guest service, and when I left there were no rides in the park that I did not know how to operate. So guess what...been there, done that!

coasterlove
02-19-2005, 02:58 AM
for an answer to the stupid questions, ya'll have work ther for 1+ years some of these people its there first time do you blame them, i'm sure people talk about ya'll before too

Who the hell are you talking to!? You better get your head checked before coming on to here and calling other people's questions stupid. At the very least, if you're going to call others stupid, you might oh, I don't know....try to remember to use capitals, punctuation and of course spelling. Because I can't even pretend to understand the foreign alien langauge you were speaking.

Sandy W
02-19-2005, 09:16 AM
I can see this is headed for a flame war. Don't go there. Don'tLookDown's comments are not the way I would express myself. I do think it was intended as a spoof. Maybe he should have leaft out the disabled part. I can tell the fact that because he is even on here that he probably likes his job alot. Name me one operator who has not felt one or all of these feelings in any given week let alone day and that person had no guests that day or week. I have been there and done that. Its why he chose the title Ride Op Rant. Of course I don't know him but this is what I read into it. Freedom of speech. Where else can you blow off steam if not in here.

Cid
02-19-2005, 11:00 AM
Trying to see the "humor" in this I sense that it was a shameless attempt to a Foamy style rant. Throw as many cuss words and mean one liners in there for a cheap laugh. I think it was poorly executed in that respect.

I still think that DLD has no buisness in the industry. Is he even still here though I havn't seen him post in awhile.

Skeeber
02-19-2005, 11:32 AM
I don't want to close this thread.
However, unless the inappropriate comments and personal attacks stop, I will.

Consider yourselves warned.

Thunderhawk
02-19-2005, 11:51 AM
To those who were offended by DontLookDown's comments (and why I think they're hilarious): WORDS ARE HARMLESS. He meant it as a spirited rant, but it was at its core a JOKE based off of real life experiences. If he did any of those things he joked about, I'd say he's a horrible person. I garauntee he hasn't. People shouldn't be getting offended over this kind of stuff.

PGH_Steeler
02-19-2005, 01:00 PM
To those who were offended by DontLookDown's comments (and why I think they're hilarious): WORDS ARE HARMLESS. He meant it as a spirited rant, but it was at its core a JOKE based off of real life experiences. If he did any of those things he joked about, I'd say he's a horrible person. I garauntee he hasn't. People shouldn't be getting offended over this kind of stuff.

Thank You, these people get mad over the dumbest things. i mean a lot of the things he is saying does happen, you know he doesn't cuss them out like he's saying or he would have been got fired. It's just something you think of saying to guests but never say them. I think it was a funny topic because most of what he said is true. DLD keep the Rants coming because this is hilarious. And for the people who get mad, don't read it.

coasterdude28
02-20-2005, 10:52 PM
DZMATT: Thank you! you are 100% right

[QUOTE=Thunderhawk] WORDS ARE HARMLESS. umm.. no. if some kid gets teased all of the time and he goes home and hurts himself, then the words werent harmless. if somebody says "i am going to blow up tis building" with no intentions of doing it, they still will go to jail. words are not always harmless.

this thread disgusts me. i see absolutly no humor in making fun of people and expressing hatred towards dissabled people and poeple you don't know at all. as DZMATT said, you guys obviously don't know about the American's with Dissabilities Act. do your research before you say that sombody is ignorant for having a dissability. DLD, PGH, and the others in this thread anger me. you are calling them rude but you are the rude ones. i know somebody is going top blow my post out of proportion but i really dont care because if any of you dont agree with me and matt then i dont need to care about you. if this is a joke, it is a stupid one.

trainguy83
02-21-2005, 01:11 AM
im not a ride op but ive been in parks alot over my life time and ive seen the stupid people and how dum people can be and it just makes me laugh hard

Alpengurl
02-21-2005, 02:53 AM
doesn't want to think i'm stupid just because i can't easily direct myself to an entrance or exit.. i went through 16 years of being a guest at a park (or less.. if you want to discount being an infant) before getting a job at a park, and i can put myself into a guest's shoes because i continue to go to parks now (when i'm not working) .. true there will always be guests that cheat the systems.. but be on the lookout for them.. and if you can identify them.. just tell your supervisor.. it may be awhile until the procedure can be updated.. but guests have all the power when it comes to our job as ride ops.. it's our job to satisfy them.. not the other way around.. if you're that pissed.. you can either quit or smoke... both take away the stress most of the time for me at least.. and i'm not taking the thread seriously.. but i doubt that if you get upset enough to share it with the thread.. you should be able to take the backlash going with it..

Sir Willow
02-23-2005, 09:39 AM

Words are harmless? Heh, how naive. Ever hear of slander? It's illegal, and, oh, by the way, it's "just words" No, words are not harmless. Ask people what it's like to be called by a racial slur and see if it's harmless. And some of his ignorant comments sure show some major underlying issues there.

As for DLD being a manager, I highly doubt that he is at any sort of a major park. I just have a hard time imagining someone with such a poor attitude about their job and the people they're there to serve ever moving up that high.

Sure park employees get a lot of dumb questions, and get the same ones over and over and over again. Sure it seems like that as people walk in the gate they check their brains out. Guess what? It's part of the job and, *news flash*- IT HAPPENS EVERYWHERE!! Not just at parks. But that's part of life. If you can't learn to deal with it far more constructively, then you have no business working in a job dealing with people. period.

Chip and some of the others have a far better grip on reality than DLD does. That's for sure. For those that think this is funny, imagine it this way- would you really want this guy to be the one helping you at a park when you need some assistance or want to ask a question? I don't think so.

And coasterdude28, thank you for reminding people that not every disability is a visible one or that the ops and recognize or diagnose. And to be so self-righteous just because they can't spot the disability is horrible. One things for sure, there are a lot of people who posted on this thread who need to grow up and start walking in other people's shoes instead of their own "elevated" ones for a change.

BuschBoys
02-23-2005, 04:08 PM
I agree Sir willow.

FlimflamShwansn
02-23-2005, 08:32 PM
I agree Sir willow.

And I disagree. I don't think that rant was supposed to be taken seriously. Maybe it all depends on how sick your sense of humor is ;-). I found the mental images quite amusing.

Thunderhawk
02-24-2005, 08:32 PM
Words are harmless? Heh, how naive. Ever hear of slander? It's illegal, and, oh, by the way, it's "just words" No, words are not harmless. Ask people what it's like to be called by a racial slur and see if it's harmless. And some of his ignorant comments sure show some major underlying issues there.

Another case of people assuming more than they should. He didn't use racial slurs. What is your point? If he had used racial slurs, I would have attacked him too. His words were harmless - it was a joke, after all. Regardless, he didn't really slander anyone, which is the issue at hand. And I did disagree, in my first post, with his stuff about disabled people.

Plus, in a world where we have to worry about terrorists and parents killing their children, are any words really as horrible as the alternative? Just a thought.

dzmatt
02-26-2005, 01:54 AM
Thunderhawk...check your own logic before slamming someone else's. Sir Willow was using racial slurs as an example of what is "just words". In no way did he say that Racial Slurs were used.

I also have a really hard time with the second part of your post. You are obviously one of the lucky people who has managed to grow up without ever feeling how badly words can actually hurt.
Ask a 12-year-old girl whose mom calls her a worthless slut if words hurt.
Ask a 30-year-old gay man who has been called a worthless sinner, condemned to burn in hell if words hurt.
Ask a 10-year-old boy whose classmates consistently whittle away at his self-esteem if words hurt.
Ask a an african-american who is called a ****** if words hurt.
Ask a person of asian descent who gets called a chink if words hurt.
I could go on, and on, and on...

Until you have walked a mile in one of those people's shoes. Don't you dare tell anyone that words don't hurt.

Flimflam...don't even get me started on you. Your ignorance is showing. The fact that you found the "mental images" enjoyable tells me that you should never work in customer service.

Listen up everyone...if you think that what Don't Look Down said is funny, or right, or anything like that...even if intended as a joke, you definitely need to reconsider your priorities and what type of job you should be in. If you treat people like that, or even think those things, then you will never succeed in any job that involves people.

Having said that...there is a place for these types of rants. I myself have vented like this, but only in private settings amongst people who know me well. DLD, I can understand some of your frustration with people...I experienced it too. If you need to rant like that, this is not the place for it. Get together with some of your co-workers, go out and blow some steam off. Don't post comments like this one in a public forum where everyone can read them, because you only make yourself and your park look bad.

Thunderhawk
02-26-2005, 02:21 AM
You know nothing about me or my friends. For all you know I could be a 500 pound schizophrenic black man. You don't know, so don't assume that you do. I'll say it again: he created scenarios that I found were funny, and could only be reinterpreted as offensive if someone managed to look past the glaring sarcasm of the whole post. I did not mean to upset anyone with my posts, as I doubt he did.
As you said, it's a public forum. But you assume people have to read these posts. They don't.

We can all pull examples out of nowhere to justify comments. I am dealing with the matter at hand: a cynical, sarcastic post that included no racial slurs. It's an invalid point in context to this discussion.

As for your comment about those who found DLD's comments funny never being able to succeed in life - why is it that people always say that when they disagree with others?

PGH_Steeler
02-26-2005, 12:22 PM
Ok can we all stop fighting!!!. Some of us think it was funny and some don't have a sense of humor. It's ok. But it is pointless to argue about something that can't be changed. As you guys have noticed if they thought this post was that bad, it would have been got deleted. but it still remains here. That should tell you something. For the people who don't think it is funny don't post anything about it. We don't care what you say, we still think it's funny. You can yell at us and say we're immature or what not but we'll still think it's funny. So give it up you FART KNOCKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sir Willow
02-26-2005, 01:24 PM
^ No, you obviously miss the point. There is a big difference between not having a sense of humor, and something being inappropriate, rude, classless, and not funny. People that think the latter is funny aren't having a sense of humor, they're showing a lack of respect and decency. Quite a difference.

It's remained, I'm sure, because it provided a good source of discussion and, generally speaking, the discussion has been civilized. It's also provided a good opportunity for people to say some things that apparently needed to be said. ;) But nice way to end your response with the insult there. That's sure to win you respectability. :P

And Thunderhawk, you obviously don't get it. DZMatt summed up my points perfectly. You also make a few statements that are a bit on the absurd side:

As you said, it's a public forum. But you assume people have to read these posts. They don't.

We can all pull examples out of nowhere to justify comments. I am dealing with the matter at hand: a cynical, sarcastic post that included no racial slurs. It's an invalid point in context to this discussion.

If it's posted to a public forum, then it's meant to be read by the public. As such expect it to be responded to by the public. To say that they shouldn't read it or respond to it when it's made public is ridiculous. If he didn't want that kind of response, he shouldn't have posted it here. Of course there are a multitude of other reasons he shouldn't have also, but they've already been spelled out.

As for the lack of racial slurs, so what? I was giving one example of how words hurt. He pretty much did slander the disabled and those with infirmities. That qualifies. He also presented himself as an immature, unsympathetic, and callous jerk with no appreciation for those people who happen to be paying his salary and allowing him to keep his job. In most lines of work, those mere words are more than enough to get you fired.

Heck, want another example of "just words" getting you in trouble? Go yell "Fire!" in a movie theater sometime, then try to tell them that it was just words and that people should have ignored you if they didn't think it was funny. See how far that gets you...

*rolls eyes*

Thunderhawk
02-26-2005, 01:49 PM
I do get it. I disagree with you. Disagreeing and not getting it are two separate things.

I'll make an admission: words can hurt people. But only if they have been sheltered their whole lives and have never developed a skin against it. I've found that words don't hurt when you've been exposed to real violence.

And right, when I post something in a public forum, I expect everyone in the entire world to read it. why? Because posting in a public forum forces everyone to read it, doesn't it? I bet you're one of those people who believes in literature censorship.

If you didn't notice, I now have said twice I disagreed with his comments about the disabled. Please re-read my other two posts.

Words never killed anyone. Ever. I'd much rather have someone vent sarcastically than take matters in a different direction. If you don't like it, don't read it. And frankly, here's something else you didn't get. I don't mind that people disagree with what he said, nor do I mind that people posted disagreement with what he said. I am discussing why I found what he said funny. I could care less whether you think what he said is awful. It is a discussion board. I am discussing it.

FlimflamShwansn
02-26-2005, 04:14 PM
dzmatt's rant

Why did you * out the 'n-word', but not 'chink'? Is one slur worse than the other?

Hey DLD, make a cartoony flash video of your rant!

leeloo1953
02-27-2005, 02:14 AM
Q-"Is it safe?" A-"Yea, just don't sit in THAT seat.

I ask that. And you know why I ask it?? Because sometimes I'm nervous and maybe little scared about that "certain" ride, and I just like to hear from someone "in the know" to tell me it is safe! I have asked that damn question you think is to stupid, numerous times!!

So do words hurt? Yes those words hurt me, becasue that is "exactly" what I ask on certain rides!!! I just never thought that was "stupid" question.

PGH_Steeler
02-27-2005, 10:16 AM
I ask that. And you know why I ask it?? Because sometimes I'm nervous and maybe little scared about that "certain" ride, and I just like to hear from someone "in the know" to tell me it is safe! I have asked that damn question you think is to stupid, numerous times!!

So do words hurt? Yes those words hurt me, becasue that is "exactly" what I ask on certain rides!!! I just never thought that was "stupid" question.

Asking if the ride is safe is the Dumbest Question in the whole world. Do you actually think the ride would be there if it wasn't safe. NO! If the park and the ride operators know off hand that the ride is not safe, they would not be running it. So who ever asks that question is STUPID for asking it. I don't care what you say. Thats a dumb question. Half the fun is being scared so that is no excuse to ask that question. Just think about it. Q:"Is the ride safe?" A: If the ride wasn't safe you wouldn't be in line right now.

Cid
02-27-2005, 12:10 PM
I think its a legimate questions because there's plenty of coaster accidents out there to prove that accidents can and will happen. If I was at Nagashima the day they reopen Steel Dragon, you better believe I'll be askin if its safe.

Not everyone knows the extreme care dedicated to safety in the world of amusement parks. I remember when I lived in Houston watching Texas Torndao run its course some of the supports would violently shake while it would go through the loops and such. Wicked Twister has a good 2-3 foot sway that is very obvious. I know now that it has to sway but the general public doesn't know that.

As I said before though nothing is 100% safe. Accidents will happen, in every thing we do.

Calvin
02-27-2005, 08:08 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, I just have to say that until you work in the theme park industry, you really have no idea just how stupid people can be. You may think that your job involves high customer interaction, but guess what, you're wrong! Waiting on people in a restaurant or a check-out line is 1 million times easier than the painstaking duties of a ride operator. This is the tip of the iceberg of **i* we have to deal with on a daily basis.

First off, when you come up to the entrance of a ride, don't ask "Is this the entrance?" What the *u** does it look like to you? There's a line of people and a big enter sign, what else could it possibly be? And the point of the height requirement is to be TALLER than the posted height, not smaller. So stop ducking under it asking, "Am I tall enough" "No, you dumba**... Oh....wait...boy, you sure fooled me...now get the *u** out of here." And YES, I work here! The uniform and nametag doesn't always seem to convey that.

Q-"Is it scary?" A-"It's 200ft tall, goes over 65mph, and you are strapped into a 13 ton train that has no respect for you or you body and can maim or kill you in the blink of an eye...but it's smooth, you'll like it."

I am annoyed by people who are afraid of death. Honestly, you have a better chance of getting stuck by lightning, after winning the lottery, with Deja Vu open for more than 10 consecutive minutes, than you do dying on a roller coaster. So no, you will not die, no, no one has ever died on this coaster, and NO NO NO you can not sue us if you die! You're dead...think about it...

I hate guests who get mad because they cannot bring certain items into the ride. No you can not take your purse because it is considered a loose article. No, you may not tie your purse around your neck, because it is a choking hazard. No you may not intertwine the strap with your bra, and tuck in under your shirt, and pull the harness down tight, and WILL YOU JUST BUY A *U***** LOCKER ALREADY!!!! D***** LADY!!!!!
And then they just sneak stuff buy ops at the entrance and they are dumb enough to whip out the cell phone they hid down their pants to call their friends because they are so cool and important and need to pretend to talk to someone just to tell them they are about to get on a roller coaster! NEWSFLASH! You're a *o**** bag! So pull your cheap a** nokia tracfone back out your drawers, and either leave it on the exit or put it in a locker! And I love the people who will not ride because they REFUSE to leave their phone and get off the ride because of it. Well Jesus Christ, the phone WOULD be safer in a locker to protect your $400 investment. And that better have a killer version of Snake for a $400 phone! And for those who think it's cool to bring a camera on, it's even cooler when your stupid a** lets go of it and it is beamed at 60 mph into a support column and after you throw a hissy fit for us to close the ride and look for it because its a $2,000 camera, and I bring back the shattered pieces and slit your wrists with them! How's THAT for an on-ride video!?!??!

I am annoyed by guests who ask to stay on and ride again and again and again and again, and I dispise people who wait on the exit like a vulture jumping into an available seat. Get out of my train, take your lazy a** back around to the entrance, and stop throwing off my turnstyle!! Time is money!!!

I also dislike people who throw up on the ride. If you've eaten hot dogs, pizza, or any red juice-type drink, DO NOT RIDE!

But what I really hate the most is people who take 5 minutes trying to lock their seatbelt in, as I stand there watching them show off their stupidity to all in the station until I have to literally grab the belt from thier hands, slap them, click the belt in, shove the harness down as hard as I can, and then spit in thier face.

NO, YOU MAY NOT SIT ON YOUR SHOES!!!!

I also hate people who run up through the line to the gates after we close them and lock the harnesses down, and proceed to FORCE thier way through the CLOSED gates and are like "Duh...can I sit here?" "No, you *u***** a******, now go back in the line and wait for the next train you impatient p****."

I'm sorry, but guest service is a load of *******. It's one thing to go out of your way to help a guest, but it's different when one whiney b**** keeps stomping their feet like a child until we give them what they want. An example is something as the height requirement. Yes, 'stapling' your kid in the seat may seem like they are not going anywhere (and nothing would please me more than to crush your kids nuts so he can't breed any more of you), HOWEVER if the harness were to fail, the length of the safety seatbelt is too long and your twig-like 53" kid can fall out. THAT IS THE POINT OF THE SEATBELT PEOPLE!!!!! THAT IS THE ONLY THING THAT WILL SAVE YOU IF YOUR HARNESS FAILS! AND I HOPE IT DOES!

I will end with a rant towards a different type of guest. A smaller group of people who call themselves 'enthuuuuuuuuusiasts'. Now you all may be wondering why I am ranting on the people who I am supposed to love? Which is why, before I continue, I must point out that this is not directed to all enthusiasts. There are two kinds, the ACE, American Coaster Enthusiasts, and the ACE, the A****** Coaster Enthusiasts. I prefer saying A****** Coaster Enthusiasts instead of abbreviating it. What's the difference between the two? American Coaster Enthusiasts are people who ride coasters simply for the thrill of it. They don't mind waiting in line, they don't care what seat they get, they ride for the adrenaline pumping, eye watering speeds, g's, twists and turns. They don't act like they know everything about a ride, or coasters in general, and they welcome conversation with people who also enjoy what these big machines can do.
On the flip side, we have the A****** Coaster Enthusiasts. A****** Coaster Enthusiasts are the people who think they know evvvvvvvvvverything about roller coasters. Common traits of the A****** Coaster Enthusiast is they are impatient, give ops dirty looks like "what are you doing touching my baby?!!?", look like they have never gotten l**d and are all decked out in their Millennium Force t-shirt, Knott's hat covered in pins, and thier lanyard with all their 200 season passes, past and present. They are ignorant, abbreviate everything possible, and think that they are the most important person in the world because they were just made the moderator of a coaster forum.
Wake up, *o**** bag!!!!!! You're ugly, I don't see your name on that seat that you MUST HAVE or else you'll go fill out a complaint at guest relations, don't give me a dirty look if I don't open the gates right away because I'm waiting for my attendant to get to the front of the platform, and NOBODY ABBREVIATES SINGLE WORD COASTER NAMES! Shut up and let us do our job and stop scoffing at the enthusiast who doesn't live on message boards. You really don't know as much as you think you do.

Eww, that popped my zit.

Ahh...that was good. I laughed a lot.

-"It's 200ft tall, goes over 65mph, and you are strapped into a 13 ton train that has no respect for you or you body and can maim or kill you in the blink of an eye...but it's smooth, you'll like it."
Hehe.
-"NOBODY ABBREVIATES SINGLE WORD COASTER NAMES!"
And the topper of the whole thing. I cried when I read that becuase I used to live next to a moronic dork A****** Coaster Enthuisast who abb. ev. to the Xtr., esp. th. lk. "RRV" [is it that hard to say?]. And then he actually would "abb." some little short thing like "Batman:The Ride" to "B-Man:TR". PGA was one of his favourite words.

[insert sick-looking emoticon]

And then there are the people who are just total dorks, and actually employ things like "w00t" and "u r0x0rz my s0x0rz" into their normal conversation.

[insert even sicker-looking emoticon]

And then there are the people who will quote a whole three-page rant just so they can make a zit joke, and not even a funny one.

[insert dead emoticon]

coasterlove
02-28-2005, 12:36 AM
Asking if the ride is safe is the Dumbest Question in the whole world. Do you actually think the ride would be there if it wasn't safe. NO!

Why is it so dumb? Maybe it might seem strange for an adult to ask but as leeloo said, maybe they just want that assurance. But most times, the people who ask that question are little kids. These are the same kids who might think that monsters are in their closet or under their bed. Yeah, lets call them stupid because they're worried or nervous about something they've never done before. :rolleyes:

dzmatt
02-28-2005, 12:45 AM
FlimFlam...I had nothing to do with the *'s. Presumably, it is an automatic function of the boards.

I noticed that everyone jumped on certain parts of my post...did nobody read far enough to where I mentioned a possibly appropriate place for this rant?

Calvin, ye god of lurking. I enjoy thy humour. A Zit joke is perhaps the only thing that the post you quoted is good for!

Sandy W
02-28-2005, 08:03 AM
The bleep words I would leave out. I however I have heard each and everyone of these questions many many times. I could rant on the height thing alone.
Can I ride as he squats down a foot but is 6'2" limit 54 inches.
I'm tall enough standing on tippy toes and jumping.
My son can ride he is not too big. Height stick bangs forehead at nose level.
Jr is big enough height stick swings over with two inch clearence.

Can I stay on its not busy 50 people sneer at him or her. Then kids throws pity tantrum right there in the seat.

I do love rides but this is just a sample. I will not even go into the stupid factor lol. Most of us who operate can see the humor because we all have heard it 1 zillion times.

Calvin
03-01-2005, 12:11 AM
Calvin, ye god of lurking. I enjoy thy humour. A Zit joke is perhaps the only thing that the post you quoted is good for!

Thank you!

However, I think that everyone is taking this post far too seriously. It's just a silly post. 's not worth anything. Well, maybe a zit joke...

BuschBoys
03-03-2005, 02:55 PM
I agree that this is a rant and that some of ya'll are just venting from your jobs, but if these things bother you than are you really happy. PGH steeler, I'm the hugest steeler fan in VA and it pains me to say that your comment about the ride being safe is a stupid question and you replied if the ride aint safe it wouldn't be here. Then why do we here about all these accidents.

I think some of ya'll need to reconsider your life plans cuz to me it seems some of ya'll need to stay away from customer interaction positions and where saftey is relied upon you from your comments about others whether slurs were involved or not you can still insult others without that type of language.

PGH_Steeler
03-03-2005, 05:10 PM
I agree that this is a rant and that some of ya'll are just venting from your jobs, but if these things bother you than are you really happy. PGH steeler, I'm the hugest steeler fan in VA and it pains me to say that your comment about the ride being safe is a stupid question and you replied if the ride aint safe it wouldn't be here. Then why do we here about all these accidents.

I think some of ya'll need to reconsider your life plans cuz to me it seems some of ya'll need to stay away from customer interaction positions and where saftey is relied upon you from your comments about others whether slurs were involved or not you can still insult others without that type of language.

like you said, they are "accidents" you don't know it's going to happen. So here's what i'm going to say. EVERY RIDE YOU GET ON AT ANY AMUSEMTENT PARK IS NOT SAFE! Since no one knows if an accident is going to happen, ALL RIDES are unsafe. So do us all a favor and don't ride anything ok. Stay out of our Q lines and keep that dumb question to yourself since i just answered it for ya. Q: "Is this ride safe?" A: "No it's not."

And what does being a Steeler fan have anything to do with this topic. I don't care how big of a fan you are.

Sandy W
03-03-2005, 05:48 PM
Even the most devoted customer service person be it rides, food, merchandise. Will comment on a bad day. This does not make them a non people person. In fact if you went to the work site you would find they most likely really enjoy what they do and the guests. Everyone has a complaint sometime everyone. No matter who he or she is. No mattter what ride.

PGH_Steeler
03-03-2005, 11:05 PM
that is true Sande, i love working in Rides, it's a lot of fun and most customers are really nice. It's not like we dislike everyone who comes to the park. Sometimes people just do and say stuff that we think is stupid and annoying. It's not that we are not people persons because if we wasn't then we would not be working there. I mean we are only human we are allowd to have bad days and we have the right to say what we feel about certain situations. So why are people getting mad at this thread?

dzmatt
03-03-2005, 11:09 PM
like you said, they are "accidents" you don't know it's going to happen. So here's what i'm going to say. EVERY RIDE YOU GET ON AT ANY AMUSEMTENT PARK IS NOT SAFE! Since no one knows if an accident is going to happen, ALL RIDES are unsafe. So do us all a favor and don't ride anything ok. Stay out of our Q lines and keep that dumb question to yourself since i just answered it for ya. Q: "Is this ride safe?" A: "No it's not."

I hope that was sarcastic...

Kennywooddude
03-03-2005, 11:51 PM

And what does being a Steeler fan have anything to do with this topic. I don't care how big of a fan you are.

So....the GP is stupid becsue they anr't into rollercoasters an know about how safe they are? Not everyone knows about rollercoasters/rides. You can't expect them to think: "Oh...theres a Vekoma SLC...."

PGH_Steeler
03-04-2005, 09:17 AM
So....the GP is stupid becsue they anr't into rollercoasters an know about how safe they are? Not everyone knows about rollercoasters/rides. You can't expect them to think: "Oh...theres a Vekoma SLC...."

what r u talkin about? GP? and Vekoma SLC? I don't know anything about roller coasters and i never asked if one was safe, and look! i'm still alive. i mean why ask the question if you know what the answer is? No ride op will tell you a ride is not safe so yes that is a stupid question. We can go on about this for days and my answer is still "That's a dumb question."

dilbert
03-06-2005, 01:07 PM
Generally I've found when a person is worried or nervous, they do not think rationally or logically.

PGH_Steeler
03-06-2005, 06:59 PM
Generally I've found when a person is worried or nervous, they do not think rationally or logically.

i know, i mean can you really see a ride op saying " no, this ride isn't safe, i don't think you should be riding it." and actually be serious? Nope you can't thats why i think it's a dumb question. The answer is always going to be yes, the ride is safe, unless the ride is broke down or something happened to make it not be safe.

dzmatt
03-06-2005, 07:13 PM
No, the answer is always that the ride is SAFE. Rule #1 about coaster accidents...ALL OF THEM ARE PREVENTABLE and their causes can be traced back to employee inattention. If a ride is unsafe, it is the people who make it that way. I challenge any of you to pm me with a coaster accident, and I will give you the human cause. If any of you can pm me with a coaster accident that is not caused by human error, I will publically admit it on this board.

Hector
03-06-2005, 07:20 PM
^Steel Dragon 2000...

EDIT: Would also like to add the Top Thrill Dragster incident of July 2004.

Sandy W
03-06-2005, 07:57 PM
Mind Bender Mall of America. The wheels seperated from the train carriage not human error I can't remember date of it.

Thunderhawk
03-06-2005, 08:32 PM
Uh Sandy, its become pretty clear from studying the Mindbender maintenance logs that the ride hadn't been maintained according to designer specifications leading up to the accident. Though, I am sure other incidents exist that were not caused by humans.

Cid
03-06-2005, 08:35 PM
Do you mean the the mall in Canada?

Also add Texas Tornado to the list. Didn't that send like 6 people to the hospital opening season because of the restraints? I can't back that up with documentation, but it did cramp my back for like 2 weeks after riding too.

I still love it though.

dzmatt
03-07-2005, 05:31 AM
Can you confirm that you're talking about the TTD lift cable shattering?

GiantWheel_SFKK
03-07-2005, 01:05 PM
Glad you liked it...and I'll take this time to say NO, I DO NOT WORK FOR SIX FLAGS, as suprising as it may sound...

And many six flags management teams are thankful for that...

Hector
03-07-2005, 05:11 PM

It didn't shatter, but yes, and in the PM I sent, I was referring to the Steel Dragon 2000 accident.

TopGun2004
03-07-2005, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by dzmatt
I wouldnt consider it a lift cable lol more like a launch cable

FlimflamShwansn
03-08-2005, 07:10 PM
No, the answer is always that the ride is SAFE. Rule #1 about coaster accidents...ALL OF THEM ARE PREVENTABLE and their causes can be traced back to employee inattention. If a ride is unsafe, it is the people who make it that way. I challenge any of you to pm me with a coaster accident, and I will give you the human cause. If any of you can pm me with a coaster accident that is not caused by human error, I will publically admit it on this board.

"ALL OF THEM ARE PREVENTABLE and their causes can be traced back to employee inattention." I gather that you are insinuating that ALL coaster incidents are caused by park employees: maintenance or operators. What about the accidents when the guests unlock their belts or 'stand up'? Not much that any employee can do about that. Yes, that's human error, but you clearly were targeting the parks.

leeloo1953
03-11-2005, 02:17 PM
Actually happened...took my nephew on his first "upside-down" coaster. He was scared, really scared, but wanted to be "brave". I told him over and over again while in line it's safe, and Aunt Linda will be with you and will not let anything happen to you.
I then told him, when we get in the seats, I'll ask the people who work on this ride, the people who know it better than even me, if it's safe".

So, when we got on the ride I did ask the op if this ride is safe, and she was very nice and said "yes, it is safe, and it's fun also!!"

So there are times when a gp might ask if a ride is safe, maybe to help a young person to become a coaster lover.

But to you who think that question is stupid, then you need think about the way "parents" think!!

I want so bad to say something else, but if I do, I'll get banned sure as hell. So I will be nice, but in post #87 he actually said I was stupid for asking a question like that. Thanks Mods for noticing that!! So at this point I will return the favor...Saying a that a person who asked if a ride is safe, maybe there could be a very good reason for asking that question. Maybe to get another young coaster person!

You know something PGA_Steeler, sometimes people ask questions for a very serious reason and not just because they are "stupid". You're a ride operator, a new young kid, new to coasters, just might like to hear from a "ride operator" that the ride is safe!! The operator who thinks that question is stupid without thinking "why" that question was asked, is a "stupid" ride operator!!!!

dzmatt
03-12-2005, 01:17 AM
"ALL OF THEM ARE PREVENTABLE and their causes can be traced back to employee inattention." I gather that you are insinuating that ALL coaster incidents are caused by park employees: maintenance or operators. What about the accidents when the guests unlock their belts or 'stand up'? Not much that any employee can do about that. Yes, that's human error, but you clearly were targeting the parks.

For your information, I worked at a park for most of four summers. I have the utmost respect for parks who train their people properly and take care of their rides. In retrospect, I made a generalization, and so I retract my comment of earlier. I change it to the following..."All of them are preventable, and most causes can be traced back to employee inattention."

You've obviously never worked a ride, or you would know that an employee should always notice when someone unbuckles their seatbelt, stands up, or does anything else unsafe. I cannot count the number of times that I, or employees I worked with or worked for me, have lift stopped, or ride stopped, or even e-stopped a ride because we saw something unsafe.

The highest priority for ANY perwon who works on a ride is to be 100% observant AT ALL TIMES! It is acceptable for someone to stop a ride because they think they saw something that didn't happen...It is NOT acceptable for someone to get injured because the employee was distracted.

Please note that I didn't single out park employees, I simply said employees. There are hundreds, sometimes thousands of people involved in assembling any ride. To give you an example of the groups of people involved, lets take a generic coaster. Here's a list of the groups involved in the creation and operation of a coaster.

1) Operators
2) Park Maintenance
3) Park Construction
4) Track Manufacturer
5) Steel Manufacturer
6) Connection (nuts and bolts) Manufacturer
7) Coaster Car assembler
8) Coaster Car Fibreglass Manufacturer
9) Coaster car Chassis Assembler
10) Coaster Car Chassis Subcontractors
11) Coaster Car Proprietary inspector
12) Track Manufacturer Proprietary inspector
13) Coaster Design Company
14) Coaster Design Company Proprietary Inspector
15) Transportation (Road, Rail, Sea, Sky)
16) Public Safety Inspector
17) Fire Inspector

And this list doesn't even touch on theming...

Just for the sake of argument, lets assume that on average, the number of people involved with each of those groups averages out at around 10 people per group. Already, that's 170 people who have been involved with the design, manufacturing, and construction of that coaster. If one of them doesn't do their job, or lets a shoddy piece of metal slip by, or lets a bad batch of bolts go out...that coaster can fail catastrophically. And guess what...THEY'RE ALL EMPLOYEES!!!

However, having said that...there are extremely rare occasions where an injury is unpreventable.

Hector: As to Steel Dragon...I'm not convinced that that accident could not have been avoided. From the limited research I've done, it looks like something failed...and it shouldn't have failed if it had been properly inspected and tested.

Cid
03-12-2005, 01:30 PM
Going back to the orginal point of this arguement though. "Is it safe" is still a legimate question. If the ride fails to human error or not, there's still a chance the ride is not safe. Of course all coaster accidents could be attributed to human error, coasters aren't living things that breed on their own. Humans build them and are 100% accountable for their reliability.

FlimflamShwansn
03-12-2005, 04:38 PM
You've obviously never worked a ride, or you would know that an employee should always notice when someone unbuckles their seatbelt, stands up, or does anything else unsafe. I cannot count the number of times that I, or employees I worked with or worked for me, have lift stopped, or ride stopped, or even e-stopped a ride because we saw something unsafe.

For your information, I have worked rides and coasters, and held many positions, for 7 years. Even with cameras, how do you expect the operator to see wayyyyyyyyyyy out on the circuit, which may even be behind him or her, or not visible if they are in a station? For example, on Montu, we only had 7 cameras. After the two cameras on the lift hill, that's it. The other cameras are useless because you cant see the people on the train because it's moving too fast.

My point is that it's not always the design or operation of the ride that injures someone. Sometimes the rider contributes to their injury or the injury of others. (That's why I love NJ and their rider responsibility law)

dzmatt
03-13-2005, 12:54 AM
There's no need to monitor places where you don't have the ability to stop the coaster anyways. My point is that potential risks should be dealt with as soon as they are seen. If someone is going to do something stupid, most likely it will be done on the lift of a coaster...once that ride leaves the lift, most people aren't likely to unbuckle their seatbelt or stand up because of the g-forces.

I'm not saying that the rider doesn't contribute to their own risks, that is often the case, and I have thrown riders off of rides (and even had a couple thrown out of the park) because of their stupidity in performing some unsafe actions.

PGH_Steeler
03-13-2005, 03:10 AM
You know something PGA_Steeler, sometimes people ask questions for a very serious reason and not just because they are "stupid". You're a ride operator, a new young kid, new to coasters, just might like to hear from a "ride operator" that the ride is safe!! The operator who thinks that question is stupid without thinking "why" that question was asked, is a "stupid" ride operator!!!!

First of all it's PGH_Steeler, Second of all even though i think it's a dumb question, i'm still nice about it when someone asks. For instance, i was at the Phantom's Revenge and a kid asked me if it was safe. I told them yes. I didn't say "Oh thats a dumb question, i'm not answering it!" I still answered his question really nice. But in my mind i still thought that it was a dumb question. I just hate it when an adult/teen asks. I can see a little kid asking but not an adult.

Kennywooddude
03-13-2005, 10:15 AM
Whats the difference between an adult asking and a kid asking?

PGH_Steeler
03-13-2005, 08:18 PM
Whats the difference between an adult asking and a kid asking?

i'm not going to go all into this again. No matter what yall say i'm still going to say it's a dumb question so just drop the subject. I'm tired of talking about the same thing over and over again. It's not that big of a deal. Get over it.

FlimflamShwansn
03-14-2005, 11:21 PM
There's no need to monitor places where you don't have the ability to stop the coaster anyways.

It's to make sure no one 'wandered' in.

dzmatt
03-15-2005, 05:08 PM
Ummm...I don't know about you...but the park where I worked, we had these things called "fences" that did the exact same thing.

FlimflamShwansn
03-15-2005, 11:17 PM
Ummm...I don't know about you...but the park where I worked, we had these things called "fences" that did the exact same thing.

You'd be surprised. People will jump them to get their sunglasses, cell phones, weaves...

PGH_Steeler
03-16-2005, 10:43 AM
You'd be surprised. People will jump them to get their sunglasses, cell phones, weaves...

lol weaves thats funny. they should put them in tighter so they won't fly out lol.

dzmatt
03-18-2005, 01:20 AM
There's very little that surprises me anymore...Can't say I've ever had someone lose a weave though!

MilhouseTheKing
03-20-2005, 11:32 AM
What about the guy that lost his prostetic leg on Wicked Twister?

dzmatt
03-22-2005, 01:03 AM
Interesting that they allowed him to take it on the ride...Haven't heard of that before...but it doesn't surprise me...there's gotta be a tonne of g-forces on that thing as it spins...

Here's one for you...a large sum of cash (can't say how much...but it was significant)

FlimflamShwansn
03-23-2005, 11:33 PM
Interesting that they allowed him to take it on the ride...Haven't heard of that before...but it doesn't surprise me...there's gotta be a tonne of g-forces on that thing as it spins...

Here's one for you...a large sum of cash (can't say how much...but it was significant)

...or a kid's car keys...or rather his DAD'S car keys (who didn't know his son took his car in the first place)

dzmatt
03-24-2005, 11:58 PM
That is a perfect definition of poetic Justice!

This amount was significant enough that we shut the coaster down and there were only three people allowed in the search area. A Security Officer, My Area Manager, and the ride Supervisor (myself).

btw...just so you know...if you're answering a post and no one has posted between your post and the post that you're answering (Like just happened here with FlimFlam and myself), please don't quote. It just takes up extra space.

Sandy W
03-26-2005, 08:39 AM
Here is one that is funny. I read it some place. I think it was in a newspaper. At Blackpool Pleasure Beach They had to drain a pond I believe was underneith the Grand National Coaster. When they did so they found several sets of choppers, false teeth.

dzmatt
03-27-2005, 12:58 AM
How exactly do you lose false teeth...I can understnad how you lose glasses, wallets, weaves, even a prosthetic limb...but teeth? Couldn't they just close their mouth?

Sandy W
03-27-2005, 07:04 AM
They are easy to slip if they scream and for instance they don't have a good fit or whatever. That lady on AFV Skydiving lost her choppers if you saw that tape. They just flew out.

Calvin
03-27-2005, 02:51 PM
Every once in a while Blackpool drains the lake beneath the Log Flume/Big One, and they usually find on the upside of, what, 100 pounds [monetary units] in coins? [you have to remember we have the pound coin as well] I think they found a tuxedo down there once.

m-force 4 ever
06-21-2006, 06:47 PM
I must say that as a ride operator my self some people are so incredably stupid...like on one of my rides the restraint is worn like a back pack, one arm through each strap and I say that twice before I check restraints and I tell people to look at the picture of how to wear the restraints then the automated speil says it again and still like 75% of people still get it wrong! don't get me wrong I love my job but some people really need to learn how to read/listen...

steel
06-22-2006, 04:12 PM
...Pants...
True story.

michael_coaster
06-22-2006, 10:26 PM
Wow... I really dont like what you said about handicap people thats a really awful thing... I hope your handicap someday and you wanna get on coaster and someone treats you just like you treated them....

AlpenOp06
06-22-2006, 10:41 PM

Not to mention money that isn't theirs...hats...FLIP FLOPS!!!!...basketballs, you name it - they lose it

Cuddy
06-22-2006, 10:58 PM
Michael, as bad as Don'tlookdown's post was (I assume that's who you were referring to), your's isn't much better. Perhaps a rewording is in order, though I do get your drift.

AlpenOP, I think the parks should start handing out heavier prizes that people can't bounce around and annoy the other park guests with. Medicine balls anyone? Undrilled Bowling Balls perhaps?

michael_coaster
06-22-2006, 11:08 PM
Yes I was referring to him... I went with my grandpa to disneyland a few years back and the operaters and hotel staff didn't treat him well so I have no sympothy who dont treat people with disabilties like they should be treated.

steel
06-23-2006, 09:49 AM
I agree, michael_coaster. That was an absolutely cruel thing to say. It's not like it's their fault they're disabled. But I also agree with Andrew Polcyn, that your post was a little harsh.

AlpenOp06
06-23-2006, 08:28 PM
I agree and disagree w/ the "medicine ball" idea - it would be good b/c they would be less likely to try to take them on the ride. However, from a merchandising perspective, it would be bad, b/c I know I for one would NOT want to carry around a medicine ball or anyting of it's kind, so I would be less likely to play games. Less people playin' games - less money - less money for RIDES!!! :-D

April_fool_79
06-23-2006, 08:46 PM
Simple solution to the baskteball / football problem ... Give them out deflated. That way they wouldn't be bounced or thrown during the day.

coastrfreak2000
06-23-2006, 09:06 PM
Giving them out deflated would be a good solution to this problem. But, some people only play the games in parks to show off their prizes and they think they're "cool".Imagine this for a second:

You: "Hey, I won this prize at the park today!"
Other person: "Cool, what did ya' win"
You: "A deflated basketball!"
Other person:"...uhh..."

Giving them deflated could mean a loss of business because they don't look "appealing". I know alot of people who have only played games because the prize looked cool and they just wanted to have it with them in the park, but once they got home, they just put it somewhere and never used it again.

TimberWolfe
06-23-2006, 10:31 PM
Yeah, that does seem kind of bad for business.

DmnAdam14113
06-23-2006, 10:47 PM
In solution to the false teeth, PoliGrip usually solves that problem :p

My grandparents used to show me taking their teeth out when I was a little kid. Freaked me the heck out!!

April_fool_79
06-24-2006, 12:24 AM
I don't mean completely deflated, just enough that they don't bounce. That's the absolute most annoying thing to me in the parks. Plus the kids toss them against the wall when they get on the ride, and they bounce and roll all over the platform. If they were missing some air, they'd just kinda go "thud" and stay, and not roll around.

While we're on a wish list ... IQ tests at the front gate. If you don't have an IQ of at least 90, you can't get in. Of course, only half the people that showed up at the gate would be allowed in the park, but they'd pay a lot more to ride without the MORONS that clog up the park all day. :)

Oh yeah, and no kids under 14 without parents. And kids under 18 would have to have a parental permission form signed, that said if they misbehaved, they would be put in the security office until their parents came to get them, and would be banned from the park until they turned 18.

m-force 4 ever
06-24-2006, 01:56 AM
^they wouldnt make my job that easy though...the very worse is people bouncing basketballs aganist MOVING RIDES!!!!! how stupid are some people. at SFGAm once a dumb kid boucned a basketball off of a moving Demon train, WTF?!?!?!

Alpengurl
03-23-2007, 11:59 PM
i know busch hands out all the basketballs deflated to the point that you have to slam them to get them to bounce three feet. and i agree about the moving rides. one time at roman rapids i had to tell this kid to stop bouncing his ball because if it fell into the water he probably wouldn't get a refund

PGH_Steeler
03-24-2007, 09:37 PM
HAHA someone brought this thread back...i was crackin up when i first read this lol