PDA

View Full Version : Kennywoods New RIDE!

Kennywooddude
03-09-2005, 08:29 PM
Kennywood is getting a Screaming Eagle. Just like the one at Knotts. heres the link: http://www.kpconnection.com/

bk2004
03-09-2005, 09:01 PM
For 2006? Why announce it now then? Seems kinda early to me.

They definatly could build this ride for 2005. Look how fast they got the one up at Knott's!

At least they are getting something. Where is it going to go?

Kennywooddude
03-09-2005, 09:03 PM
Its going in Lost Kennywood. There announced it so early becasuse they have a alot of work to do to get the ground and are ready

bk2004
03-09-2005, 09:06 PM
To get the ground? What does that mean?

Where exactly in here? Are they taking a ride out on the side of this by the Whip or what?

HPStormRunner22
03-09-2005, 09:09 PM
You mean the Screaming Swing, right. That is pretty cool that they are getting a high capacity one. That probably means no upcharge!

slnewbus
03-09-2005, 09:22 PM
Shouldn't this thread be in construction?

bk2004
03-09-2005, 09:25 PM
Yes, but it's for 2006 and there isn't a 2006 construction area yet because it's a little early. They should open one soon.

Kennywooddude
03-09-2005, 09:26 PM
Kennywoods isnt going to be a charge ride, but its included in the admission. It seats 32. Its going where the whipeout was going. Its also the largest of its kind in North America. Lake Compounce is also getting one.

Cuddy
03-09-2005, 09:54 PM
Ahh, brighter orange means a move to construction, even if the ride is slated for next year.

Montu Man
03-09-2005, 10:03 PM
32? Wow, that's huge! I havn't yet rode the one Swing here in Orlando, but I heard their great. And this one will be even better with no charge. Unless it gets a low capactiy...

James
03-09-2005, 11:00 PM
Yeah... Its a Screamin' Swing.. but isnt it a 36 seater?
and yeah.. this is a fact...

Dan G
03-09-2005, 11:32 PM
Wow, this is great news for everyone in the Pittsburgh area...We're getting the very first larger version of the ride, that is really cool. I'm glad Kennywood is trying to add some more new and more extreme rides in the park...I just wished there would have been a coaster in the deal as well. ;)

BTW, why would Kennywood get this when they have a ride kinda similar to it (Aero)? I mean both swing but one inverts. I would have preferred if they had gotta say, a fly swatter. Anything is good right now, but just a thought. BTW, I will have my license around this time next year so expect some pictures as construction takes place.

James
03-10-2005, 12:30 AM
at Kwood the ride will go where Wipeout is now. We were told this at Lake Compounce over the weekend.

Kennywooddude
03-10-2005, 03:08 PM
Wow, this is great news for everyone in the Pittsburgh area...We're getting the very first larger version of the ride, that is really cool. I'm glad Kennywood is trying to add some more new and more extreme rides in the park...I just wished there would have been a coaster in the deal as well. ;)

BTW, why would Kennywood get this when they have a ride kinda similar to it (Aero)? I mean both swing but one inverts. I would have preferred if they had gotta say, a fly swatter. Anything is good right now, but just a thought. BTW, I will have my license around this time next year so expect some pictures as construction takes place.

Screamin Swing has a lot of negative g's and only has a lapbar...so...it might be scarier than Areo

FutureImagineer
03-12-2005, 10:38 PM
are they going ot move wipeout or get rid of it.. i'll be sad if they get rid of it cause i think it's so cool.. esp when the picture behind the name is of kennywood when it first opened

Dan G
03-13-2005, 12:22 AM
Well, you probably didn't know that they always change that picture...I've probably seen a new image on it every season. If they move it, I don't know where they could possibly put it. It'll probably be sent to Idlewild for them to put in somewhere or just put into storage or sold if nobody in the chain can find room for it. It will be sad if they send it somewhere far because I actually like the ride even if it sometimes gives me a massive headache.

As for the Screamin Swing, how in the world are they going to fit that huge ride into that small spot next to the Wave Swinger. It's going to be cool watching this thing because it might actually swing over the fence. The rides going to be a nice view going down that road leading to the park.

James
03-13-2005, 11:09 AM
If Kennywood does as LC.. It will swing out over the midway.

As for what would happene to the Wipeout.
SFNE has one.. And Canobie Lake... And Funtown.. so 3 of the 4 "big" New England parks have them.... Lake Compounce doesnt.. So maybe KW will send it to LC?
LC might have one of the best coasters ever made.. But they really lack in the flatrides area... and something like a wipeout would be really nice for the park.

FutureImagineer
03-13-2005, 11:28 AM
but i love the wipeout :(

BuschGardensfan
03-13-2005, 03:08 PM
there not getting rid of wipeout there moving it where the baren curve is by the grand prix the baren curve is getting refurbrished.

FutureImagineer
03-13-2005, 04:13 PM
hmm.. what are they gonna do to the barren curve?

Dan G
03-13-2005, 04:32 PM
Screamscape said it's getting taken out...Maybe it'll get sent to Idlewild or some other park. I hope they don't just put it in storage because it is a pretty good ride. That was my favorite ride in the park as a kid.

phantompenguin
03-18-2005, 07:06 PM
Well...can't say I'm thrilled personally. I want a new coaster damnit, these rumors are killing me...but this is the first ride of any note to be put in since the Phantom was redone(King Kahuna was a used ride so I don't like to count it), so at least it's something, but still. Considering how little the park has improved since the Phantom was re-done...I'm hungry for more than this.

On the other hand...anything that gets the damned Wipeout out of there is good to me. I absolutely loathe that ride. Only one in the park that I legitimately don't like.

Dan G
03-18-2005, 07:18 PM
They aren't taking WipeOut out...lol They are taking a better ride, Bayern Curve out and putting Wipeout where that is. Personally, I think they are beginning to take the some of the traditional out of America's favorite traditional theme park. Sooner or later we're going to see a lot changing and hopefully they put a nice steel looper down into the ravine sometime in the near future. Obviously they haven't given up on the park and still want there to be some new attractions in the park. But yeah I definetly want a coaster like you but we're going to have to wait.

phantompenguin
03-18-2005, 09:38 PM
Ugh...I liked the Kurve...though it's lost alot of it's mystique since they removed the bullhorn.

Nothing better than hearing the Edmonton Oilers goal horn being sounded off every couple minutes(the Oilers use the same horn that the Kurve used to use) :p

Dan G
04-29-2005, 08:32 AM
If anyone wants to see what the new 32-seat screamin swing looks like that Kennywood is getting, look at the pictures below. It is massive!

http://www.screamscape.com/assets/images/db_images/db_Rush011.jpg
http://www.screamscape.com/assets/images/db_images/db_Rush021.jpg
http://www.screamscape.com/assets/images/db_images/db_Rush031.jpg
http://www.screamscape.com/assets/images/db_images/db_Rush041.jpg

James R
04-29-2005, 07:47 PM
That looks really neat. They have the same restraints that Swat does minus the OTSRs. I like that a lot, hope i make it out there one day.

http://www.visithoustontexas.com/national-gallery/images/astroworld_swat2.jpg

:)

Zingoman
04-30-2005, 02:58 AM
I love the Bayern ride. The only one I have ridden in the Sierra Twist at SFMM, but that is SO FUN!! I hate that they are dissapearing. GIVE IT TO ME! I'll put it in my backyard!

Dan G
05-19-2005, 08:03 PM
Well, I went to the park yesturday for a school picnic and theres not much progress on any construction. No sign of any footers taking place, just a big large fence surrounding the whole area. I have some pics, I'll be sure to put them up as soon as I can.

Dan G
06-20-2005, 03:20 AM
I talked to a friend who works at the park, and he told me nothing has been going on...In fact he doesn't think anything will happen until late July-August so they don't finish too early. No track pieces are on site either yet.

Dan G
07-23-2005, 03:51 AM
http://kennywood.com/funzone/funzone.php

Anyone notice Kennywood posted a edited promo video of the ride minus the one lady that said very cleary "HOLY ******!". Lol, I was just stumbling on their website and just noticed it. Pretty funny how it was so obvious, I'm glad Kennywood came around to changing it, seeing how it was so obvious. :p

Kennywooddude
07-23-2005, 03:21 PM
haha lol. It seems that both Kennywood and Lake Compounce is getting one. I like the fact that Kennywood Entertainment spreads their funds on all three parks, though I think Sandcastle is getting a little neglected

Dan G
08-01-2005, 12:53 AM
http://www.kennywoodinsider.com/newin06.html

Trees are starting to be cleared and I wouldn't be surprised if excavation for footers begins pretty soon. Hopefully within the next month, the rides structures will be in the parking lot so I'm hoping to make it out to the park to get some pics.

As for your comment Kennywooddude, Kennywood got a deal from S&S during the offseason last winter to purchase two Screamin Swings, they probably got a good price. I just don't understand why they decided to trash the Inverted coaster plans and go with these instead.

PittfallFan
08-05-2005, 11:49 AM
I actually happened to speak with some upper management from Kennywood, and to most people's surprise, it actually wasn't an Inverted Coaster. It was a Suspended Looping Coaster (SLC) from Vekoma. As most people know, the SLC's are very cookie cutter and very rough, usually. I for one am ecstatic that they did not purchase the SLC. I have rode the 4-seater Screamin' Swing at Skull Kingdom in Orlando, and it was an excellent ride. Our 32-seater will be another 50 feet or so taller. The 4-seater at full swing was exhilarating, so I am excited and can't imagine how fun our 32-seater is going to be...

Dan G
08-06-2005, 04:49 AM
As PittfallFan mentioned, the park was indeed planning on installing a Vekoma SLC coaster such as Thunderhawk, Kong and Mind Eraser for 2006. And they did happen to change their mind and get a ride completely different from the SLC.

We had several things to consider on a ride of that caliber. The ride is a pre-engineered ride that was designed to fit on a relatively flat plane. This would require for us (Kennywood) utilizing a rather large piece of our flat property to install this ride. As everyone knows, flat, open property at Kennywood is at a premium. We felt that this ride was asking for too much of our property.

That is a statement made my Jerome Gibas, Kennywood's GM regarding the suspended looping coaster that was planned for the park before the announcement of the Screamin Swing was made. One of the other reasons they didn't go through with the plans with the SLC is that it indeed has OTSRs and they believe that is limiting some of the parks larger guests from riding. He also mentioned the fact that the park wasn't very enthusiastic about getting the coaster so they did indeed change their mind. He did mention that the park does want something a little more exciting and dynamic for their next coaster installation.

Dan G
08-16-2005, 05:01 PM
http://www.kennywood.com/funzone/name_ride_vote_form.php

If anyones interested, Kennywood has put up a page for anyone to vote for the new rides name. Whichever three get the most votes will be sent to Kennywood executives where they will vote for the winner. IMO, from 8000 names, I think they could have picked some better parks for the Top 8. A few of them are really lame and sound like a 5 year old came up with them. IMO, I think Xtreme Scream is the best one, but that's just me but I just saw the results and I've come to the conclusion that the GP really pick stupid names. Surprisingly, Pittsburgh Pendulum has the most votes and that was probably one of the ones I thought sounded really lame. Thank god they are taking the top three to pick the final, and hopefully KWP picks one of the other ones that make the cut. I just hope Pittsburgh Pendulum doesn't get picked. lol

bigboy_1234567
08-16-2005, 05:34 PM
None of those really appeal to me. Cross Fire is ok I guess.

Johnny Upsidedown
08-16-2005, 07:11 PM
Read the fine print. It says

NOTE: If the winning entry was submitted by more than one person, the first person to submit the entry will be designated the winner.

Well since the name has already been submitted other wise they would not be able to pick one out of 8 from the 11000 names sent in already. So that means that there is no way you can win the name contest. Because the winning name has already been submitted just not chosen yet.
Seems silly to me. :sick:

Dan G
08-16-2005, 10:51 PM
The winning name has not been picked yet...The three top voted names out of those 8 will go to Kennywood Park Executive and they will vote on which one they think appeals to the ride most. That fine print means if two people sent in the same name like Xtreme Scream for example, the first pereson who sent it would win if that name was chose.

Dan G
08-18-2005, 01:15 AM
Just so everyone is aware, I was at the park earlier and I happened to take some photos of whats been going on at the park recently with the construction. Right now there are two very large holes in the ground as well as a large pile of dirt which probably came from those holes. There is a dump truck and a excavator on site as well as a lot of piping. I think the park is going to start working on the footers because in one of the holes I could clearly see what looks like the bottom of footers. Plus there is some kind of pipe already sticking out of the hole. I'll have some pics up as soon as I can.

Dan G
09-12-2005, 04:02 PM
http://www.xtremecoastin.com/gallery/kwp/construction/8-18-05/

Sorry it's been so long, I hadn't been able to upload the pictures due to my site under major renovation, but I did happen to finally get them online. They are kinda old and I've heard that both footers are already poured, so hopefully I can get over to the park this weekend to take some pictures. I'll definitely have those ones up on time.

Dan G
10-15-2005, 11:40 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v304/Steelrevenge/1newrideconstuc.jpg

Here's a recent picture of the construction site that I found on another site, as you can see compared to the pictures I uploaded, the footers are complete and they finished the building that will be housing the large airtanks these rides use. You can see those airtanks in the background to the right of the building. I'm guessing the park is waiting till after Phantom Fright Nights to be over before they bring a crain into the park and start putting the acutal structure together...of course that can only happen until the pieces of this structure are actually sitting on site waiting to be constructed, which isn't the case right now. I'll probably try to get to the park once I learn of any news regarding any structure sitting on site, I won't expect that to happen until the end of the month though, we'll see.

Dan G
12-11-2005, 10:15 PM
http://www.wm2k7.com/blog/mobile_images/Image006-794802.jpg

Guess the person who told me they wouldn't be starting construction till next year was wrong. *cough*Katie*cough* lol I'm really not too fond with the colors of the ride, it looks just like Lake Compounce's minus the lightning. The logo that is red and yellow doesn't even match the ride, I think KWP made a big mistake when picking the paint job of the ride.

The construciton does look pretty nice though, I should be heading down to the park next week to get some pics, hopefully construction will be near completion.

Chris L
12-11-2005, 10:28 PM
You do realize that the past 5 posts in a row were by you over a period of a whole month and still nobody has shown any interest.

But thanks for your consideration and attempt to keep TN on top of what's happening with Swing Shot. :)

Dan G
12-11-2005, 10:36 PM
It's my pleasure. :)

PGH_Steeler
12-26-2005, 07:11 PM
well i'm interested lol i just didn't see this thread. I haven't seen it in person yet. Maybe one day i will drive past.....maybe not i have no reason to go over that way lol. Too bad its not as big as i pictured it would be.

bk2004
12-26-2005, 09:28 PM
Where about is the ride located in the park? It'll look huge surrounded by so many rides near by. :D

Dan G
12-27-2005, 03:52 AM
It's near Phantom's first drop up against the part of the park that sits on the highway...You can see it coming into the park and believe me it looks massive compared to some of the other rides in the park. It's a nice additon the park I must say, I just hope this leads to better installations for the park in the future.