PDA

View Full Version : Best In Park Train Ride.

slnewbus
04-04-2005, 08:57 AM
What in park train do you think is best?

James
04-04-2005, 09:15 AM
CPs is nice... and has some theme to it...

bk2004
04-04-2005, 09:58 AM
In order.

1. Dollywood
2. Cedar Point
3. Stone Mountain
4. Lake Winnie
5. Busch Gardens Williamsburg

Dollywood beats them with Cedar Point in second. CP's is pretty long, but I like DW's where you go into the woods and can't see any of the park once you get out of the main area. It's neat, and it has some theming too. They used to have a show on it too.

Stone Mountain's is cool, but very loud and isn't the older kind like CP & DW. It does have a neat little show and a cool station, but the train makes the ride not as memorable as the other too.

Lake Winnies is a smaller type and is just a plain fun ride. It's a pretty decent ride for the small park. It has some wooded sections and then some where you can see the park (and an area that goes under Cannon Ball) and then it loops around the lake.

BGW's was just an average. Nothing special

slnewbus
04-04-2005, 10:03 AM
I love CP's, cause you get those awesome views of mf and many other coasters, and it makes it a lot easier to get to the back of the park.

RamblinWreck
04-04-2005, 11:54 AM
BGW's was just an average. Nothing special

Nothing special my ass, you obviously don't know much about locomotives.

Disney World, Dollywood, BG Williamsburg, Astroworld's old trains and any pf the old Huntington trains are all great... any classic steam locomotive is good to me, and the ones that are well-maintained are delux. I also like the Zephyr at Dorney for some God forsaken reason, it's just "different".

Cedar Point's was ok, but it wasn't the prettiest of trains.

slnewbus
04-04-2005, 12:47 PM
The zephyr is pretty neat. That ride made much of the money for dorney back in the day, and if it weren't for that ride, Dorney wouldn't be around today.

bk2004
04-04-2005, 02:06 PM
Nothing special my butt, you obviously don't know much about locomotives.

When I rated my list, the rankings had nothing to do with the locomotives as I know nothing and that doesn't matter to me. So I guess you can say my rankings are what a GP would say if they didn't know a thing about locomotives.

RamblinWreck
04-04-2005, 03:26 PM
You said its nothing special, I told you it was. But, you probably dont care about the loco, so how about the ride through the woods and over the river? Isn't is very much so just like the Dollywood voyage?

Dukeis#1
04-04-2005, 04:23 PM
Dollywood wins with me. The park has full size, 110-ton steam locomotives (http://www.whitepassfan.net/whitepass/home/pub/images/steam/190-200/gaf-sl-011_steam_192_dollywood_1998-10-19_medium.jpg) - no dinky little plantation or replica engines there. Whenever the train pulls out of the depot and begins it's climb up the mountain, the ground starts shaking around the track and you can here the sharp puffing all across the valley. It's great that a theme park is willing to maintain such wonderful pieces of American history.

Dollywood also has a nice, long track course...2 1/2 miles up the mountain, 2 1/2 miles back down, making the ride a nice five mile trip. You actually leave the perimeters of the park and head out into the Smoky Mountain wilderness. Those locomotives work hard, with a maximum grade slope of over 5% near the upper turn-around loop. They don't just gently roll around like the trains at some parks do.

This is my list:

1. Dollywood- The Dollywood Express
2. Magic Kingdom- Walt Disney World Railroad
3. Busch Gardens Williamsburg- Old Country Railway (I love the huge trestles over the Rhine River, plus the locomotives are nice too!)
4. Opryland- Opryland Railroad [RIP] (It had an unusual winding course throughout the park)

I don't like the Six Flags Railroad at SFOG anymore, since they converted the beautiful steam locomotives they had into diesels. Now it's nothing more than another push-button ride.

phantompenguin
04-04-2005, 05:09 PM
Cedar Point and Busch Gardens Williamsburg are my favorites.

Haven't been to Dollywood.

HPStormRunner22
04-04-2005, 05:11 PM
I lovd BGW's train. The locomotive was nice, and it was a great ride. It provivded some nice views of the park. It was neatr to see Drachen Fire's old station. Plus the truss bridge has to be one of the nicest bridges at any park. Maybe surpassed by BGW's footbridge near the truss.

coaster_kid89
04-04-2005, 06:27 PM
And Dollywood's train also kills people, lol. I do enjoy CP's train the best though. It has that nice run by MF and also the little themed part is a nice touch.

Montu Man
04-04-2005, 06:32 PM
BGT's old one was cool, but they split the track in half and made it go half the speed once SheiKra construction started. I loved how you used to be able to go really close to Kumba and Python. Now you don't go anywhere near those. At least you still plow straight through the Serengheti Plane thingy, seeing the animals up close is cool. I havn't been on that many in park train rides, but I guess Magic Kingdom's would be my favorite. It's long, has lots of theming, and you see a lot. And if you go on it when the park opens, it takes you to the back of the park before that section even opens, so you can get multiple rides on Big Thunder and Splash Mountain before the crowd gets there.

Carowinds 73-03
04-04-2005, 07:49 PM
Well i have only been on 2. SFOG & CP.

Of those 2 CP is clearly the best.

RamblinWreck
04-04-2005, 08:37 PM
BGT, ooh, I forgot that steam blower! :)

When did you ride the train at SFOG? They used to have some great steam engines but two years ago they dumped them, and recently emasculated one of them to return to service.

Carowinds 73-03
04-04-2005, 08:41 PM
The last time i rode the train at SFOG was in 2000.

RamblinWreck
04-04-2005, 08:57 PM
Oh... then why didn't you like it?

Carowinds 73-03
04-04-2005, 10:07 PM
I didn't hate it, Just thought the train at CP was a bit better.

tntornadox
04-04-2005, 10:47 PM
Please Note: Noone has ever been killed on the Dollywood Express, Goldrush Express, Silver Dollar Line, in any of its incarnations. One woman fell off after spilling her drink on her lap, which was strictly her fault- she wasn't hurt.

Carowinds 73-03
04-04-2005, 10:50 PM
What Trains have people been killed on?

Ta2KX
04-04-2005, 11:04 PM
I'm completely biased toward Cedar Point, so who really cares what I have to say. My favorite engine is George R, especially before they changed his whistle. I remember during last season when they first put in the new one, somehow George sounded like he was going through puberty, whistle sounded like a voice cracking. Judy K is alright, she didn't run too often though. I liked Myron H because he most often pulled the train with padded seats.

Carowinds 73-03
04-04-2005, 11:07 PM
Huh????? Is that the names of the CP trains???

I had no idea they had names. I just rode alot.

Does any other parks name their trains and if so what are they?

Gemini78
04-04-2005, 11:41 PM
Its not uncommon at all for parks to name their engines. Disney has traded locomotives with CP a few times, each time the locomotive had to be repainted to get rid of the Disney name and to have the name CP wanted on there. I'm not sure of the names of other engines, but I do know for sure that at least the Disney parks name their trains.

Carowinds 73-03
04-04-2005, 11:51 PM
What are the Disney names? I didn't notice names on theirs either but i would like to know if anyone knows.

Leo C
04-05-2005, 12:07 AM
The Zephyr is a fun, classic metropolitan looking train @ Dorney. I do truly appreciate the important part it has had in Dorney Park's history and survival.

The BGW train was awesome to ride in 1999 to get a view of the SBNO Drachen Fire that BGW didn't put on the map and wanted the GP to forget. I asked the train attendants about the coaster as we rode by, suggesting that there was still some interest for the ride.

It's too bad Great Adventure can't be considered in this category. To my surprise I thought I saw in a 70's map that there was a train that surrounded what now is the Looney Tunes Seaport. I think the Fright Fest hayride even travels on a portion of the train's former trail.

The Clementon Park train was great to ride to see and go through the SBNO Jack Rabbit and by the new Tsunami. I guess the ride now has a new meaning as you can now go by the original Jack Rabbit while it still stands and the renamed Jack Rabbit II. I still wish it was called Tsunami. :(

WoozyRacer
04-05-2005, 12:54 AM
I've only ever been to Hershey, Dorney, Kennywood and Knoebels. Out of those parks I'd have to say Knoebels Pioneer Train is my favorite.

I like how it goes out under Twister and into the woods and if you're lucky you'll get to see some deer and sometimes some other animals. It's a nice long ride too.

RllrCoasterFan
04-05-2005, 11:04 AM
I like Cedar Point's train and Silver Dollar City. I also have been on the one in SFoT and thought it was okay. It was felt more of a means of tranportation through the park than anything like a themed train ride.

cannonballer
04-05-2005, 12:53 PM
of course the Dollywood Train is great!

BUT

I also agree with the first poster on LW becuase its not generaly known as a great ride but it is. Its not a huge engine and not any spectacular as far as what it is BUT the ride itself is a great experience. Relaxing.

dkmaddog
04-05-2005, 04:19 PM
I have only been on two trains, Cedar Point and PKI. Both were ok, but neither of the two were anything special. I prefer in-park boat rides. Paddlewheel Excursions at CP may just be my favorite ride in the entire world.

Macyismydog5
04-05-2005, 05:15 PM
The one in Dollywood looks awesome. I like the one in Schnepf Farms in Queen creek, AZ. How sad is that???......

jman8934
04-13-2005, 12:30 AM
I know old people who have enjoyed the BGW's railroad all day, mainly my frineds grandparents...
Anyways, someone asked the names i believe at BGW they are the
-Alepen Express(used to be Alpengeist Express and had snow on roof for a few years after alpengeist opened) the green one with the caboose for handicap people
-Der Heidelbefg (something like that, German train Replica) the red one with all the flags on the front
-Bilmoral Castle (almost positive, English train Replica) the blue one

Hank
04-13-2005, 12:40 AM
This will be a stretch, but the train at the Milwaukee Zoo is really something.

Martin
04-13-2005, 06:41 AM
The one at BGW is very good. The one at Dorney is ridiculous or atleast the operators are. The opererator was an old man and it is barely drizzling outside and he even has to go out maybe 20 feet from the station and touch the track to see how wet it is.

RLLrCoastrLover
04-13-2005, 09:55 AM
My favorite was the on at Silver Dollar City. You go through a train robbery 1/2 way through the ride.

slnewbus
04-13-2005, 09:23 PM
^sweet. I wanna go to silver dollar city. They have that theming on CP's which is pretty neat. I like theming on these trains.

Macyismydog5
04-13-2005, 09:43 PM
Well, about SDC... I've noticed alot of peoples attitudes on it are "Oh, it used to be great but I'm starting to hate that place now". WHy excatly?

coasterlove
04-13-2005, 10:05 PM
I've only been on two, Cedar Point and SFGAm. I think we know who wins that battle. SFGAm's is decent, you get some different views of the park and some nice alternate angles of some rides and coasters. You also got some great looks of the Shockwave track when it was sitting there (although, that made me sad). CP's is a great ride. You get some nice theming on one half of the ride and great views of Millennium Force on the other half. It also is a convienent way to get to one part of the park to the other. The only thing that bugs me is I've been on the train quite a few times and not once have I ever been next to the drop as a MF train went down the drop. That would be awesome.

tntornadox
04-13-2005, 10:08 PM
Dollywood's engines are named "Cinderella" and "Klondike Katie".

Carowinds 73-03
04-14-2005, 07:04 AM
Klondike Katie! lol. I wonder where Dolly came up eith that name.

RLLrCoastrLover
04-14-2005, 09:36 AM
Well, about SDC... I've noticed alot of peoples attitudes on it are "Oh, it used to be great but I'm starting to hate that place now". WHy excatly?

I really don't know exactly what you mean. I love SDC, I don't see how it is getting any worse by adding Wildfire and PowderKEG. I don't know what it was like before Wildfire though. :confused:

michael_coaster
04-17-2005, 10:46 AM
DISNEY LANDS IS NUMBER 1!!!!!!!!!! dont even argue

Sir Willow
04-17-2005, 02:49 PM
^ And how many have you been on? :P

Disneyland has a very good one. So does Knott's, BGW, CP, and BGT. But my favorite that I've been on so far has been Silver Dollar City's. Just fun all the way around.

But then I haven't been on a train ride yet that I didn't enjoy. I think I've been on them at 20+ parks so far (I really haven't counted) and they're always nice for a restful look around the park at the least.

I love DW
09-03-2006, 10:22 PM
Klondike Katie! lol. I wonder where Dolly came up eith that name.

It was named Klondike Katie by Rebal Railroad. That's the park that brought the train to the property in 1961.

I would have to say my favorite train ride at a park would have to be Dollywood, with Silver Dollar City in second.

Leo C
09-03-2006, 11:20 PM
This is a new ride genre for me that I'm growing in credits. The least restrictive train I've been on in that it's right on the grass in the park and there are no crossing lights was the train @ William Grove in Pennsylvania. The Dutch Wonderland train is pretty cool but probably my all time favorite is the Zephyr @ Dorney Park. It's the sole reason Dorney Park survived during the Depression. Despite the park changes Zephyr hardly changed. It's so memorable because the train has a bullet train design. Long Live Zephyr. It's even the name of a local sports team in the nearby Allentown, PA area.

The Clementon Park train may be my least favorite. I love that it runs through and by Jack Rabbit but I don't like that it uses a three track setup and basically returns sharing that same rail.

I was pissed that PGA no longer had a train. Thanks Stealth!

I think I was on the Alpengeist themed train or at least saw it in 1999 @ BGW. To see the wiped off the map but not forgotten SBNO Drachen Fire I took the train that year.

I've did a partial circuit on the trains @ Disneyland and Fiesta Texas. I will do Hersheypark's next when I get the chance.

Dukeis#1
09-03-2006, 11:28 PM
It was named Klondike Katie by Rebal Railroad. That's the park that brought the train to the property in 1961.
The name "Klondike Katie" came with the locomotive (#192) from the White Pass and Yukon RR in Alaska. The engine was named after a well-known woman in those parts, though I'm not sure who this was.

During the Silver Dollar City years, #192 was briefly renamed "Daddy Bryson" after an engineer on the defunct Little River Railroad that use to run through Townsend. They apparently went back to Klondike Katie when the park became Dollywood.

Sorry to stray off there a little bit...I love the Dollywood train! :)

I love DW
09-03-2006, 11:33 PM
^Wow I didn't know all of that about the train. And you avatar Blazing Fury at Dollywood or a different Blazing Fury at another park?

James R
09-04-2006, 12:25 AM
I've only been on four: a) Fiesta Texas has a very nice one that takes you within the Limestone Quarry wall. The two stations are always kept up very well, and the conductors usually are very kind. b) AstroWorld's 610 Limited train, which is now in California I believe, had a very fun speil played over the intercom. It took you very close to Texas Cyclone's structure and right by Ultra Twister also. c & d) Disneyland and WDW's... most should know what those are like!

Michael C
09-04-2006, 04:52 PM
Top Train rides.
Best to worst

Magic Kingdom Railroad – Walk Disney world*
White Mountain Central Railroad – Clark’s Trading Past Lincoln, NH*
Stone Mountain Railroad – Stone Mountain, GA*
European Steam Locomotive – BGW*
Huff Puff and Whistle Railroad – Story Land Glen, NH**
Canobie Express - Canobie lake Park Salem, NH*
The Lake Railroad – Lake Compounce**
Santa Express – Santa’s Village Jefferson, NH**
SFOG railroad – SFOG***
Wildlife Express Train – Disney’s Animal Kingdome***
Fairy tail Express – The Great Escape**

* Indicates Full, narrow, or 2ft gage steam train
** Indicates Chance CP Huntington 24” gage model (story land uses a rare 20” gage)
*** Indicates a Diesel Engines