PDA

View Full Version : Slack in X seats?

Erik Leppen
05-04-2005, 09:43 AM
I recently saw a television program called Ultimate Thrill Rides in which they talked about all those special coasters like Air, Oblivion, and also X. It looked like there was a lot of slack in the "fourth dimension" of the movement. I mean the rotation of the seats. It looked like that was not at all smooth. Has anyone who has ridden X experienced this?

FLCC Josh
05-04-2005, 10:34 AM
I have talked to a few people who have "X-perienced the X-treme" (sorry, had to)

Yes there is some slack in the movement, it is very "jerky" from what I have heard.

RamblinWreck
05-04-2005, 10:53 AM
To me, the actual rotation of the seat wasn't too bad, but the way the train moves through that Arrow track sucked.

Brian P
05-04-2005, 11:07 AM
It did jerk around a bit, but it wasn't violently rough or anything. It's not something I could marathon, but I would certainly ride it multiple times in a day. There's just something about that "4-th dimension" that makes it really fun (not really knowing how to expect the seat to turn)

Hammy2003
05-04-2005, 11:13 AM
X is a little rough, but you don't think about it that much. You're too busy thinkin' about seat rotation. Actually, to me, it adds to the fun. If it was B&M-smooth, it wouldn't be as fun to me!

Like the above post said, it's not the actual rotation of the seats; I think it's the way the seats are mounted on the outside of the track. They make me a little nervous, the amount of "bounce" that goes on throughout the high-force sections of the track. But I know if it didn't flex, it would just snap off.

Jhcbiinoc
05-04-2005, 12:11 PM
I have never thought that X was "rough" when riding in the first four rows. There were a few bumpy moments towards the end of the ride riding further back in the train, but in the front row it is always as smooth as glass to me. A lot of people have said the outside seats are a little more turbulent, but my friend prefers the outside seat and says that aside from the one ride we took towards the back of the train they have always been smooth. When on the ride, I am always too blown away to think "is this rough?" :p Front seat rides on X are easily the best ride on any coaster I think I have ever had; I just wish they would figure out how to get the third train running to decrease the wait times!

mpyfrom
05-04-2005, 02:19 PM
i would not know but fro what i here it sounds kindof rough and jerky

Dan G
05-04-2005, 02:45 PM
The first transition and the final raven turn is what shook me around a bit...But hey, it's an arrow, what do you expect?

coasterdude28
05-04-2005, 03:00 PM
The ride was a bit jerky but nothing that was not bareable. It is not the fact the the cars rotate, more of when and how they rotate. It does not rotate that much but the rotations are strategiacally put for maximum experience. For example the car does a rotation while the track is inverting which produces an insande feeling of dissorientation. The only part that was a little rough was coming out of the first drop but it was masked but the intensity of the ride.

rjholla2003
05-04-2005, 03:15 PM
The only thought I had coming off of X was "Wow!" I have no memory of jerky movements or roughness. I was fortunate enough to get a good seat (front row, inside), but my friend that I met out there said that the outside wasn't much worse. It had some bounce due to the bowing, but nothing crazy or headache inducing. It's just a load of fun!

RamblinWreck
05-04-2005, 05:56 PM
X was fun but no smooth ride, not even by Arrow standards.

Macyismydog5
05-04-2005, 07:34 PM
Yeah, it was rough, and the biggest dissapointment ever. Wow what a waste of steel. They should have just gotten a much better and more reliable intamin hyper. Sure, it's unique, but it's also a one trick pony, and not worth the 4 hour line of hell that I sat through.

Sir Willow
05-04-2005, 09:08 PM
Personally I never had a bad ride on X, and certainly nothing that was ever painful or uncomfortable. The only place I noticed any jerkiness or bouncing in the rotations was exiting the station and then going up the lift hill, where really it didn't matter a bit. The rest of the ride is just incredible and I didn't notice any problems with it on any of my rides.

And while I lived in the area I had quite a few rides on it at all hours of the day, and in all seasons.

Matt M
05-04-2005, 09:24 PM
I have never thought that X was "rough" when riding in the first four rows. There were a few bumpy moments towards the end of the ride riding further back in the train, but in the front row it is always as smooth as glass to me. A lot of people have said the outside seats are a little more turbulent, but my friend prefers the outside seat and says that aside from the one ride we took towards the back of the train they have always been smooth. When on the ride, I am always too blown away to think "is this rough?" :p Front seat rides on X are easily the best ride on any coaster I think I have ever had; I just wish they would figure out how to get the third train running to decrease the wait times!

Can it run 3 trains? I see no MCBR.

Sir Willow
05-04-2005, 09:50 PM
It can run 3 trains, but it never does. No there's not a midcourse, but it does have 4 blocks:

1. Lift Hill
2. Loading Station
3. Unloading Station
4. End brakes before the stations

coasterlove
05-04-2005, 11:28 PM
When people say the front rows are less rough, I'm curious what the front row is on this ride. Is it the first cars that go over the lifthill or the other end since it flips over shortly after the first drop.

Erik Leppen
05-05-2005, 07:47 AM
Front row is where the train moves to...

coasterdude28
05-05-2005, 03:33 PM
The front of the train is the part that crsts the hill first. Just like any other coaster, unless they are going backwards.

RamblinWreck
05-05-2005, 03:41 PM
Yeah, it was rough, and the biggest dissapointment ever. Wow what a waste of steel. They should have just gotten a much better and more reliable intamin hyper. Sure, it's unique, but it's also a one trick pony, and not worth the 4 hour line of hell that I sat through.

And Intamin hypers are more reliable? :rolleyes:

X is the first of its kind, its bound to have bugs.

I think running 3 trains costs far too much, so they don't do so.

coasterlove
05-05-2005, 04:11 PM
The front of the train is the part that crsts the hill first. Just like any other coaster, unless they are going backwards.

That's why I was asking. Because it does goes backwards including up the lift and at the start of the drop. ;) I figured as much that would be the front but I thought I'd just ask to make sure.

Sir Willow
05-05-2005, 05:57 PM
I think running 3 trains costs far too much, so they don't do so.

It's not costs. There are 2 things that would prevent it.

One is the time intervals. Their unloading/ loading cycle takes so long that if they attempted to run 3 trains they would be stacking them horribly. That would mean the third train would be sitting on that last brake run for a good bit of time every single time. It's just not possible to run it efficiently with 3. They are actually just as efficient, if not more so, with 2 than they would be with 3.

The other problem is that there is usually only 2 trains available to run at any given point anyways, with the third usually being rehabbed as part of a rotation.

w00dland
05-07-2005, 03:27 PM
From what I remember there was no roughness on that ride. I was in the second row outside seat and was just stunned when I came off. Twords the end I felt a little out of control since my legs were all over the place but that just added to the ride. I thought the rolling of the cars was actually the smoothest part of the ride.