PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have any idea what they're going to do to flashback?

xtreme
06-11-2005, 01:18 AM
well i work at magic and go there often i always walk by flashback and just see it there i asked guest relations and they told me they were going knock it down is there any truth behind this if u know tell me im a rare person who loves flashback.

bk2004
06-11-2005, 02:25 AM
Well they need to do something to it, because it's a perfectly good coaster, and very unique. It's just sitting there because it's "too loud" for the water park. :rolleyes:

I hope they don't scrap it. Maybe move it agian? Haha I know that won't happen.

Martin
06-11-2005, 06:36 AM
But doesn't it get boring after riding for many seasons. Just back and forth and back and forth.

Mr. Johanson
06-11-2005, 07:24 AM
I say they tear it down and replace it with something better.

Flashback is nothing but a torcher device. It simply delivers more pain then it does thrills. I've ridden it dozens of times and not once have I had a good ride on it.

RLLrCoastrLover
06-11-2005, 11:14 AM
I agree. Does SFMM count flashback in there coaster count? If they do I cant see them tearing it down.

Alan J
06-11-2005, 02:23 PM
I think they do so if they tear it down thats 1 less coaster and then cedar point gets the title but if they do tear it down they might and i say might put in a smal coaster inb its place to keep the count.

Matt M
06-11-2005, 02:50 PM
Well they need to do something to it, because it's a perfectly good coaster, and very unique. It's just sitting there because it's "too loud" for the water park. :rolleyes:

I hope they don't scrap it. Maybe move it agian? Haha I know that won't happen.

I'd rather have undistracted lifeguards than a roller coaster sorry.

I bet it'll end up at another park should they decide to do anything to it.

Jerry S
06-11-2005, 02:57 PM
Flashback will probably end up with it's east coast counterpart: Viper at GAdv. They'll be melted down together.

Leo C
06-11-2005, 09:06 PM
The New Jersey crew knows what it's doing with tearing down VIPER. Maybe we have to get them to tango with Mr. Six over to SFMM for another job. Melt together my pretties.

Montu Man
06-11-2005, 09:15 PM
SF likes having a record number of coasters at the park, they won't tear it down. They're stupid like that.

Emann
06-11-2005, 09:19 PM
Is there any way for it to be quite? Does anyone know when it actually DOES operate?

m-force 4 ever
06-12-2005, 04:26 AM
^yes, it doesnt operate anymore. there is wood out side the entrance that says "pardon out dust" sadly =(

Aaron
06-12-2005, 11:36 PM
Rather then having it just sit there and collect dust, I wish they would do something with it. I think what they ought to do is send it to one of the SF parks that never gets much attention (so at least the park can say it got something), and replace Flashback with something better. Since Six Flags doesn't want its number of coasters to drop, they ought to build another coaster there. It may not be that big a site, but I'm sure they can find something to fit it.

Montu Man
06-12-2005, 11:50 PM
Is there any way for it to be quite? Does anyone know when it actually DOES operate?

They could partially take it apart and fill the track and supports with sand. But that wouldn't help the smoothness.

Dan G
06-12-2005, 11:57 PM
To be honest, their coaster count is the least of their worries right now...In my opinion the park is no longer the Xtreme Park as it likes to call itself and it's just a mess. Half of their rides are closed for most of the season which is sad, and I wish they'd do something to the ones that don't operate like Flashback. Flashback will eventually get torn down, why would the park keep a coaster that hasn't ran in over a year when they could take it out and put in a flat like a Huss Giant Frisbeee? Just because it's one coaster to their NOT EVEN RECORD BREAKING coaster count. The park in my opinion is a disgrace now, I mean no wonder why SFGAdv is getting all the attention now. Within the next 10 years though, I do see both Flashback and Superman getting torn down and melted like they should along side their good friend Viper.

Chris L
06-13-2005, 03:55 AM
If it could be done (but I really doubt it), Magic Mountain should relocated Flashback to another site in the park - knowing it doesn't operate when Hurricane Harbor is open for the season. Splash on some new paint and its ready to stay open year round like the others, damnit. It's a decent ride that's fun, but not bad enough to get rid of. It's small size and footprint gives the park to the option to relocate it, if they decide not to trash it. A very tall modern drop ride at the park (well overdue don't you think) ala PKD's Drop Zone would fit in perfectly in Flashback's old spot. It doesn't have a B&M roar, its distance wouldn't be too close to the Sky Tower or Superman The Escape, and it'll be the first time in awhile that the park put something new right by the front entrance to freshen things up.

Coaster Freak
06-13-2005, 08:48 AM
I've never heard Flashback in operation since the one and only time I've been to MM it was closed....but when I comes to the noise theory, I have to question it. At PCW, the entire waterpark was built around the Mine Buster...a large out and back wooden coaster. So SFMM is not the only park to have a coaster near a waterpark....and anyway, waterparks are very loud in general and the guards should be more concerned with visually scanning the water and not just listening for sounds.

Johnny Upsidedown
06-13-2005, 12:23 PM
My thinking is they will move it to another park as it was moved from SFOG. I had heard they were rebuilding the trians but have not heard anything about that for a while now.. As for why they dont operate the ride who knows, I sure dont. I am thinking they dont operate it because it just beats the crap out of you or as sick as it is SFMM just doesnt want to loose another coaster count. I also agree with the above general thinking that SFMM has so many other problems that they should concern themselves with (rides not working, dirty park, etc....). Just like this supposed new coaster, why couldnt they take the 10 million or so and fix the park up nad fix all the rides. That way SFMM could actually make some money and try to be a more respected and better money making park for the parent chain SF. Guess it is simply bad buisness practice get more new stuff because the other stuff dont work anymore??? :sick: . Lucky for SFOT AND SFOG as they are part owned by an outside group making those parks a little nicer and a little better operated but still it is a SF. Just my 2 cents.

Maxamillious
06-13-2005, 12:42 PM
Ok,
Six Flags has major debt problems, i dont even think they can afford to repaint it let alone fix it a make it run again. So there for a relocation or even tearing it down is out of the qustion because they cant afford to pay for it. Maby when Six Flags sells off there really older parks (Six Flags Over Texas, ect) then maby they can afford to deal Flash Back, but as i said they just dont have the money.

And another thing, Six Flags doesent know how to remove rides from parks. When they pulled the coaster out of Six Flags Fiesta Texas, they left the whole station there and every footer, and the place is a mess. (It pays to have a good camra zoon, i have seen inside the station).

Over all, they cant afford to do anything with Flash Back.

- Max

ClicheCoaster
06-13-2005, 02:41 PM
Eventually it will be relocated to another park or torn down. It might run for a bit again before then, but ultimately that's what's going to happen and we all know it. It would be nice if the coaster could stick around but anything that's SBNO that much of the time isn't likely to return.

Maxamillious
06-13-2005, 02:46 PM
But . . . . .
Theres allways the first.

- Max

sfft_2108
06-13-2005, 03:59 PM
Maby when Six Flags sells off there really older parks (Six Flags Over Texas, ect) then maby they can afford to deal Flash Back, but as i said they just dont have the money.
- Max

I can't see SF selling SFOT. That is just insane.

Riddler156
06-13-2005, 04:28 PM
SFOT was the start of SF. That would probably be the last park they sell. I can only see them selling their smaller parks.

Dan G
06-13-2005, 10:30 PM
Ok,
Six Flags has major debt problems, i dont even think they can afford to repaint it let alone fix it a make it run again. So there for a relocation or even tearing it down is out of the qustion because they cant afford to pay for it. Maby when Six Flags sells off there really older parks (Six Flags Over Texas, ect) then maby they can afford to deal Flash Back, but as i said they just dont have the money.

And another thing, Six Flags doesent know how to remove rides from parks. When they pulled the coaster out of Six Flags Fiesta Texas, they left the whole station there and every footer, and the place is a mess. (It pays to have a good camra zoon, i have seen inside the station).

- Max

They had enough money to spend 30 million on Kingda Ka and the Golden Kingdom. Not to mention the dozens of Tornados they bought this year and the destruction of another horrible coaster, Viper. They have plenty of money to tear a coaster down, I mean look they've already torn two down in the last 2-3 years.

AWilson96
06-20-2005, 04:36 AM
To be honest, their coaster count is the least of their worries right now...In my opinion the park is no longer the Xtreme Park as it likes to call itself and it's just a mess. Half of their rides are closed for most of the season which is sad, and I wish they'd do something to the ones that don't operate like Flashback. Flashback will eventually get torn down, why would the park keep a coaster that hasn't ran in over a year when they could take it out and put in a flat like a Huss Giant Frisbeee? Just because it's one coaster to their NOT EVEN RECORD BREAKING coaster count. The park in my opinion is a disgrace now, I mean no wonder why SFGAdv is getting all the attention now. Within the next 10 years though, I do see both Flashback and Superman getting torn down and melted like they should along side their good friend Viper.

That isn't true. When was the last time you were there? I was at MM for 2 days just a month ago and every coaster was operating except Ninja (not counting Flashback since it is SBNO).

The park isn't a disgrace at all. I had a great couple of days there and got multiple rides on everything even with 1 train op (which is understandable since it wasn't that busy). X opened with the park both days and Deja Vu ran consistently without problems. So to say SFMM is a disgrace is completely uncalled for.

willski2002
06-20-2005, 11:25 AM
^It's in shambles. The flagship park of Six Flags Inc. is a dump. Look, I went there in December, and they had a B&M train sitting in the parking lot, fading in the sun. Instead of just putting the damn thing in the storage shed, they let it deteriorate in the sun. Actually, they did this on two rides, Scream and Riddler. Idiots. Take Scream's train and shorten it to 5 or 6 cars and put it on Flashback. Or just buy 3 B&M sitdown trains (the Wildfire ones) that are the proper length, repaint Flashback, fill it with sand, and rename it. Whamo, you have a "new" coaster for 2006.

Riddler156
06-20-2005, 03:05 PM
^Your "solution" for Flashback isn't as simple as it seems. And I'm not sure about the B&M train sitting there, but they might have put it there because there was something seriously wrong with it and they needed to throw it away or something. Or it could have been a new train that just got there.

coaterdude420
06-21-2005, 09:42 AM
I visited SFMM recently, and though the park is a mess (like half the rides were closed and it was obviously very poor managment) the rides were pretty awesome, especially X. I think that making visiting a park more quality depends mostly on how good the rides our. I agree withy Eastcoastn07 totally about how its a mess, but you shouldn't slam it so much- the rides are pretty good.

Kyle L
06-21-2005, 11:58 AM
Ok,

- Max

So, Six Flags has major debt problems, and can't afford to paint it or relocate it because of money issues?

Yet they invest $25 million or more into one park? Hm. Irony is far too apparent.

Dan G
06-21-2005, 12:33 PM
I visited SFMM recently, and though the park is a mess (like half the rides were closed and it was obviously very poor managment) the rides were pretty awesome, especially X. I think that making visiting a park more quality depends mostly on how good the rides our. I agree withy Eastcoastn07 totally about how its a mess, but you shouldn't slam it so much- the rides are pretty good..

If it wasn't for the parks terrible environment and all the closed rides (Atom Smasher, Monorail, Deja Vu (On occassion)) SFMM would probably be my favorite park. I love going to the park to ride X, Riddler and Goliath because it's my only chance to ride coasters like that. But I am tired of how trashy the park is, how rude employees are, and above all the lack of benches. I'm just a little disappointed that this is Six Flags "flagship" park and this is the best they can do with it. Kyle, you said it just like me, if they can spend 30 million on Golden Kingdom I'm sure the company can dish out 5-10 million dollars to have Flashback disassembled and shipped to another park or just melted like Viper. Then, they could use that land on a ride like a Frisbee that will be operation everyday for the season unlike Flashback. But, if they get a new coaster this year, I'm going to be very ashamed. Because I just wish the park would take a few years off from the record reaching and clean up the park a little. But I guess that's definetly too much to ask for at this park. :rolleyes:

Kyle L
06-21-2005, 12:37 PM

If it wasn't for the parks terrible environment and all the closed rides (Atom Smasher, Monorail, Deja Vu (On occassion)) SFMM would probably be my favorite park. I love going to the park to ride X, Riddler and Goliath because it's my only chance to ride coasters like that. But I am tired of how trashy the park is, how rude employees are, and above all the lack of benches. I'm just a little disappointed that this is Six Flags "flagship" park and this is the best they can do with it. Kyle, you said it just like me, if they can spend 30 million on Golden Kingdom I'm sure the company can dish out 5-10 million dollars to have Flashback disassembled and shipped to another park or just melted like Viper. Then, they could use that land on a ride like a Frisbee that will be operation everyday for the season unlike Flashback. But, if they get a new coaster this year, I'm going to be very ashamed. Because I just wish the park would take a few years off from the record reaching and clean up the park a little. But I guess that's definetly too much to ask for at this park. :rolleyes:

Well that also goes with my other point. I was upset that 30 million dollars was invested into one park. Money can buy a lot of things, and 30 million can help repair how crappy Six Flags parks have been for a very long time. I feel that if they invested it to improve parks, get all the coasters fixed up, and maybe raise staff wages, they would be able to provide a much better park experience. People will do good work for lots of money, Six Flags just needs to provide more for them, and when HALF of Six Flag's Magic Mountain's coasters are down in a given day, that make me upset. And realizing that they spent 30 million dollars on ONE park when the others have these problems......there are way too many issues.

Dan G
06-21-2005, 12:47 PM
I agree, over the past few years I've started to be less fond of the whole Six Flags corporation. The only park I go to now is the only one I really have a good experience at. SFMW doesn't have the greatest coasters in the world, but you can go there and not have to worry about trash all over the ground and rides closed all the time. It's kinda funny too, because this is one of the parks that Six Flags doesn't even own. Although they are trying to buy it, I wish Busch would try to get it. But when it comes to money, I agree that that 30 million could have been separated out and given to the parks that REALLY needed it. But of course, when it comes to the record, Six Flags isn't going to pass that up.

Blink182
06-21-2005, 12:56 PM
About everyone saying SFMM is Sixflags's "flagship park" I think they are wrong. Why?
1)They pour money into SFGadv for a Record Breaker.
2)They build a whole new area in Sfgadv.
3)They dismantle Viper.
4)They are adding another woodie.
So to think on what the flagship park is now. It is not SFMM it is becoming SfGadv. They are doing so much to this park. If you visit it just once and explore the GK and look at the suroundings it doesn't look like a Sixflags piece of work. Online for KK I even said it didn't feel like we were at Great Adventure anymore. There work is now so much better. But the fact is this is about SFMM and Flashback. I dont know why they cant get rid of it. Maybe its the coaster count fact but I really think Sfgadv will come snaching it sooner or later. They have an extremely large amount of land. Maybe they are trying to sell the park but they would want to clean it out. I really dont know. I dont think they are paying as much attention to SFMM as they should but everything now is going to Sfgadv and when everything was going to SFMM no one complained about closed rides or anything at SFgadv. This is a first for the park yes. Just live it out and maybe something along a 25mill investment will head towards you.

Emann
06-27-2005, 06:42 PM
The parks earn the money the company doesnt give it out. That is why the less popular parks dont get coasters like the other ones do. If the parks earn the money they can spend it.

geoking66
07-09-2005, 11:49 PM
Six Flags Magic Mountain will build one or two more coasters, then get rid of Flashback, so they will always have equal or more rides than Cedar Point.

slnewbus
07-10-2005, 10:44 PM
It will be melted.

Jerry S
07-10-2005, 10:48 PM
The yshould go ahead and just test run Flashback 5 times in a row during peek hours at the park, so people think that they're trying to bring it back up and running.

coasterlove
07-11-2005, 11:09 AM
I... ....got multiple rides on everything even with 1 train op (which is understandable since it wasn't that busy)

Running only one train is never understandable...never.

What's the point of it and then letting ride ops stand there with nothing to do when they could be busy loading another train to keep lines as short as possible. Simply put, you never know when there could be a rush or a busier than expected day. Why not be ready for it and jst run two trains. It's not like running two trains is going to hurt something, is it? Wht not just run two then?

Now onto Flashback. I find it ridiculous that they try to consider it one of their 16 coaster considering it doesn't run a majority of the year. And people wonder why others like to critisize this park and sometimes Six Flags in general. How can anyone say with a straight face that they don't think it's pathetic that they do that?

If they were smart, they would either move it or get rid of it and put something that wouldn't be a problem by the waterpark. Of course, SFMM cares more about having a coaster that doesn't work so they can claim a record they don't have rather than give customers somthing they actually can ride and enjoy. That's great customer service there. :rolleyes: As long as SFMM does that, I won't be able to respect the park.

I've never been to SFMM (or SFGAm at the time it was there and known as Z Force) so I've never seen or more importantly heard it. How loud is it actually when compared to other coasters? And are there actually no other coasters or other rides that are especially loud in that area of the park?

Alan J
07-11-2005, 12:22 PM
I Think they will just get rid of Flashback. I dont think it can last much longer. If they get rid of it they would haveroom for a new compact coaster. Im not saying they will put a new coaster in im saying they will have room for one.

YoungStud
07-11-2005, 11:26 PM
coaster love, they could not sell fast lane passes if they were running 2 trains, there would be no wait.

coasterlove
07-12-2005, 01:39 AM
Sadly, so true.

I love their business sense; try and milk some customers out of as much money as you can and who cares about those who won't buy a fast lane pass. While I'm guessing you were joking (but maybe you weren't), I wouldn't be surprised if that was partly their reason for doing it.

I'd imagine they sell at least a few hundred of those a day if not considerably more. At $15 each or whatever they charge, that thousands a day they would lose. Now, is that good or bad, I don't know.

coasterfreak14
07-12-2005, 02:19 AM
I think they should fix Flashback up and put new trains on it (like maybe get some from B&M). It looks like it would be a great coaster if it had comfortable trains (I'd like to ride it someday).

Chris L
07-12-2005, 05:21 AM
^It's in shambles. The flagship park of Six Flags Inc. is a dump. Look, I went there in December, and they had a B&M train sitting in the parking lot, fading in the sun. Instead of just putting the damn thing in the storage shed, they let it deteriorate in the sun. Actually, they did this on two rides, Scream and Riddler. Idiots. Take Scream's train and shorten it to 5 or 6 cars and put it on Flashback. Or just buy 3 B&M sitdown trains (the Wildfire ones) that are the proper length, repaint Flashback, fill it with sand, and rename it. Whamo, you have a "new" coaster for 2006.

Uh, you saw a Scream! train in the parking lot 'cause a dumb worker was inside the restricted area of the ride when she was hit by it and killed during a test cycle early in the morning before park opening. That was all over the news. That particular train was removed from the ride circuit and laid out not assembled for its "out of order" state for a VERY good reason.

And for Riddler, maintenance calls for completely removing train parts and putting them together again. And because Magic Mountain doesn't have an "off season" so-to-speak, they have to do this on days where guests visit the park. You can't do that kind of careful extensive maintenance in a transfer shed and not within a few days.

Running only one train is never understandable...never.

Sure, it is. Knott's Berry Farm and a lot of other parks do it. But it's understandable becomes some days are slow - and there is a method parks use to determine which days will be slower - thus requiring less employees meaning less to pay.

I've never been to SFMM (or SFGAm at the time it was there and known as Z Force) so I've never seen or more importantly heard it. How loud is it actually when compared to other coasters? And are there actually no other coasters or other rides that are especially loud in that area of the park?

Think Mantis at Cedar Point loud. Except instead of long dragged-out roars like the large looping B&M coasters, think of brief bursts of that roar over and over. And no, there are no other coasters in that area that are especially loud. The closest coasters to Hurricane Harbor border/Flashback is Revolution (a good quarter city block's walk away from Revolution) and it is not very loud in comparison to Flashback.

coasterlove
07-12-2005, 03:07 PM
Sure, it is. Knott's Berry Farm and a lot of other parks do it. But it's understandable becomes some days are slow - and there is a method parks use to determine which days will be slower - thus requiring less employees meaning less to pay.

I'm not saying that absolutely no other parks do it also, I just think it doesn't make sense to do it on most coasters. Even on slower days, why not keep the lines from possibly even getting long.

I've experience it a couple times. So because they wanted to run only one train, we had to wait 45 minutes in what could've been a walk-on possibly. While 45 minutes isn't a horribly long time, wouldn't walk-ons be more enjoyable allowing for plenty of re-rides? The park I'm speaking of is SFKK which only has a few great coasters.

Now since it wasn't a great park by any means, wouldn't it be in their best interest to make people happy in other ways. There was no way with their coaster selection, would I be going on and on about the park saying good things. But at least if lines had been incredibly short and allowed me to get plenty of rides, I could've at least had that to say positive about it.

As far as workers, how many extra workers would it take for a coaster to run two trains instead of one? When one train is running the course, that should allow reasonable time for the same staff of ride-ops to load another train. Even if for some reason, a couple of other ride-ops are needed, that comes out to what, mayne a couple extra hundred dollars for each of a few of the more popular coasters. So for a whole day, that would maybe come out to a thousand dollars for a whole day.

People pay $40-50 to enter a park for the day, shouldn't they get the best possible experience they can get? I find it sad that any big park owned by a major company like Six Flags is trying so hard to save a thousand dollars a day.