PDA

View Full Version : Building a coaster in my backyard

Pages : [1] 2 3

coasterking11
06-11-2005, 02:48 PM
Im building a coaster in my back yard past the grass and the fence and into my woods the land slopes 30 feet pretty steap down then is flat and then drops anotehr 30 feet. But in onyl working with the first 30 feet Ill Post some pics. All i need is some more elaborite plans.

A need to ask a few Questions

Has anyone on this forum ever tried building a coaster. If so why did it fail?

Does anyone have any good designs for the car or track?

Anyone know of a way to get wood with ouot going to Home Depot?

And how do you Bend wood?

Jerry S
06-11-2005, 02:58 PM
For bending wood, I think it's just the type of wood you have. Very not dense would would be good.

Anyway, this will probably be good. I'm a fan of this coaster. What state are you from that you can build a backyard coaster?

Pcw
06-11-2005, 03:25 PM
For designing, just use all of the basic things you already know you will need(like upstop,road and guide wheels).

pearlsea
06-11-2005, 03:39 PM
^If you realy wana be cheap you can use an upstop bar or plate insted of a wheel (i think some wooden coasters have it and i know magnum had it for the first yearish)

Cephas
06-11-2005, 08:20 PM

Well, you just nail it down if the radius of the bend/curve of the track is big enough. If the wood is soaked in water/warm water it bend easier.

Who needs an upstop? lol

There should be a lumberyard somewhere in your city/town. Check the yellow pages.

This sounds like it would be an awesome project if I had the money/time/land, BUT...

You do realize that this project will take months at the minimum...right?

Bencerisback
06-12-2005, 12:31 AM
instead of going to home depot to get wood i bet that you could go to lowes or a plastic surgeon

reon
06-12-2005, 10:49 AM
good idea. im thinking of builing a small out and back behind my house (ang ofcoarse it would go past my room in the basement^^) right now im in need of supplies, and i wonder how make the supports right.ill upload a pic of the site once i get some more disposable cameras...as for wood bending: use plywood and layer it. plywood is VERY good for bending but its not too thick. just make the first layer, then another over it, and so on....

coasterking11
06-12-2005, 11:02 AM
For bending wood, I think it's just the type of wood you have. Very not dense would would be good.

Anyway, this will probably be good. I'm a fan of this coaster. What state are you from that you can build a backyard coaster?

Im from nj but the coaster i am building is on a hill in my woods. The coaster will only reach only like 5 feet off the ground on its main lift.

Ill post pics but my dads recharginging his camera so when its finished I can take pictures.

And what i mean by not going to home depot is like going and getting wood from someone whos getting there decks taken down or somthing like that, but of corse i wouldnt use that wood on the main track.

Martin
06-12-2005, 11:04 AM
Wow, a backyard coaster. Sounds good. I' ve heard of these things done before but are they safe? Reon that sounds cool inside your basement. Why do I have to live in a darn city?

reon
06-12-2005, 11:41 AM
yeah my so called yard was built on a hill...then we built a house there, and my new bedroom resides in the basement, with my computer. the site of the proposed coaster runs along the back of my house, which is still on a hill (so i can make the return run in the ditch) and the turnarounds go around the corners of my house. when im at work today ill get a disposable camera, so i can take some pictures of the site....

coasterdude28
06-12-2005, 01:09 PM
Sounds good. I really want to make my own coaster one day but most likely won't. Pleases keep us updated if you make any advancements.

Alan J
06-12-2005, 02:13 PM
i know how you bemd wood but its not realy bending you know the layers of the wood on wood coasters well all you have to do is stagger the bords to make the turn like on hades everyonther board turns and that makes the turn i hope that helps cuz it is hard to explaine it.

MilhouseTheKing
06-12-2005, 09:17 PM
For tracking, i've found that garage door track works quite will with added support. Then just put the garage door axels on whatever you are using as a car.

Montu Man
06-12-2005, 09:41 PM
Good lcuk with all these backyard coaster projects. You guys do realize that these things cost thousands of dollars, right?

Alan J
06-12-2005, 09:45 PM
yea they do. This guy has a coaster in his backyard look at the pics and spects of it he spent $5,500 on his coaster. http://www.jeremyreid.com/

RLLrCoastrLover
06-12-2005, 10:23 PM
That is awesome that you are attempting to build a coaster in your backyard. Good Luck. I wonder if that guy in Oklahoma lets people ride his coaster.. I would think you could make a lot of money charging people per ride.

coasterdude28
06-12-2005, 10:50 PM
John Ivers(Blue Flash) lets people ride for free. He probably makes them sign a waiver though. I think it might be illegal for them to charge money. You would need an amusement license.

Tanks4me05
06-13-2005, 04:58 PM
I'll make what I want for a backyard coaster on NL and show it to you guys when I finish my woodie, Blizzard. (I hope I'm not spamming)

coasterking11
06-13-2005, 09:01 PM
I cant figure out how to post pics so if anyone wants to see them email me at Blizzardofozz81@aol.com . There from a few days ago so its not the latest. More work has been done, also thats not all the wood we have (in the pics). the coasters awasome becasue its a turaine out an back woodie.

coasterdude28
06-13-2005, 11:09 PM
To post pics - hit post reply, not quick reply. Scroll down to attach file. Find the picture and hit upload.

geoking66
06-16-2005, 10:03 PM
Hope your coaster does well!

michael_coaster
06-17-2005, 11:50 PM
Somebody please show some pics i cannot belive you all are really trying to build these.

cannonballer
06-18-2005, 04:08 AM
Im building a coaster in my back yard past the grass and the fence and into my woods the land slopes 30 feet pretty steap down then is flat and then drops anotehr 30 feet. But in onyl working with the first 30 feet Ill Post some pics. All i need is some more elaborite plans.

A need to ask a few Questions

Has anyone on this forum ever tried building a coaster. If so why did it fail?

Does anyone have any good designs for the car or track?

OK,
so you need wood huh? well the cheapest way is to be a vulture!!!!! Seriously, now its harder and may take some time but... go to construction sites and ask to have there scraps. youd be amazed how much wood they throw away an dbeleave it or not you may find long enough peices you need. alot of construction sites are working under contract and dont care how much material they waste as they are being reimubursed anyway. Somtimes you can find a full 2 x 4 with like an inch or two cut off or a whole sheet of plywood with some screww holes in it.
Like I said his is a harder alternitive but youll get free wood! could take weeks to get what you need but if your diligent you can do it.

coasterking11
06-18-2005, 11:07 PM
Latly ive been going around asking people I know if they have any wood. I have also been going around on garbage day, youll be suprised at what you can find. I dont have all of my wood yet but ill need to but the acaul track wood from home depot.

Martin
06-19-2005, 01:22 PM
Is it possible that you can take some pictures of the area in which you plan to construct you coaster?

coasterking11
06-19-2005, 03:30 PM
Im too stupid to figure out how to post pictures. But if you email me ill give them to you. Also the pics I have so far are old from the the 9th and 10th and ALOT of work has been done so far. Ill post pics later probobly tomorow or the next day. Also for the main wheels on the car do I use stationary wheels or the swirvy kind.

Martin
06-19-2005, 04:10 PM
You just go to manage attachments, click browse find the fild on your pc, and click upload.

reon
06-19-2005, 11:50 PM
just checking in cuz i havent reported in a while. i have photos of the job site, aswell as some ijst shots, but im afraid i still have 15 exposures on my camera. im trying to find some stuff to fill it up with so i can post them...

willski2002
06-20-2005, 11:11 AM
Ummm..........pretty sure I'm the god of backyard roller coaster design and construction. Coasterz made a flash animation of my coaster, and that makes me special (lol). Check it out in the archives, the thread title is "Announcing a new coaster for the summer of 2003" or something stupid like that. Wow, I was a n00b.

coasterdude28
06-20-2005, 11:44 AM
Ok, I'll check it out.

EDIT: Here is the thread, but I couldn't get the video to work. The video is on page 12. http://www.thrillnetwork.com/boards/showthread.php?t=24644&page=1&pp=15&highlight=announcing+coaster+summer+2003.

reon
06-20-2005, 01:38 PM
well hardy har har. too bad you never finished it man..

Alan J
06-20-2005, 01:45 PM
yea i thought it would bee cool to have a coaster in ur back yard well now just start saving money till you got 50 million then build TTD. lol

reon
06-20-2005, 03:12 PM
hmm...i guess i can make some crappy paint drawings to show the layout while i wait for more photos, or i could make a knex model. then again, i suck at those, so crappy paint pix it is!

edit: added the crappy paint pic. as you can see, it can either start down the bigger slope, or down a smaller one that provides more room for a turn around.im thinking on one of the hills it will twist over to the hill for some trick-trackage then go back down into the canyon. youll understand more once i get the film developed...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/Reon_Skyridge/Rollercoasters/housecoaster.gif

coasterdude28
06-20-2005, 03:22 PM
If you have NL you can make it in there.

89magnumxl200
06-20-2005, 07:39 PM
^ I tried that but couldn't do too much in what I thought to be about the size of my yard, with all trees as well. I got a swooping first hill, a bunny hop, and two tight turns in before the brakes. I think it would work in my real yard; too bad I don't have the supplies or funds to build it.:(

coasterking11
06-20-2005, 08:10 PM
If i email pics to someone can they post them?

89magnumxl200
06-20-2005, 08:30 PM
Send them to me at shpidoinkle_7@msn.com I'll post them for you.

coolstarwasim
06-20-2005, 09:00 PM
Wow, a coaster in your own yard!

reon
06-22-2005, 08:21 PM
update: i just went out and did all the measurements, and constructed a new layout. ill make a paint drawing to send in in a few minutes

length: 140'9''
height of heighest drop: 16'6''
height of 2nd drop: 7'8'' (after going uphill 4'7'')
height of dip at the end: 4'
height of lift (end of ride): 15'10'', posibbly plus a few feet to get some momentum going down the straightaway to the beggining of the ride....

edit: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/Reon_Skyridge/Rollercoasters/coaster.gif
dark red=change in incline (hills, drops, etc)
green=trees or other folliage

note that when it goes through the green, its a group of trees where theres enough room to go through like a tunnel. once i get through the curve, it goes into a dip and into the lift hill...the whole coaster is built on the side of a hill as a terrain coaster, to save money on supports...

slipknot8527
06-24-2005, 09:38 PM
So if you suck at building K'nex models, how do you propose to build a life size rollercoaster in your backyard?

Maxamillious
06-24-2005, 09:57 PM
Who do you think should cover his media day?

America's Funnyest Home Videos
Canted Camera
Real Tv
Jack Ass
Blue Collar Tv

Vote and let him what you think.;)

- Max

P.S. - Dude i just dont see this happeneing. Good luck with it tho.

reon
06-24-2005, 11:59 PM
...i never meant i sucked THAT bad. im just saying i havent tried yet. and you skepticks should just shut up. i KNOW how hard its gonna be...in other news, i have added an extention to the lift and then a 270* helix off of it to the propossed layout. this way, ill have more momentum going into the beginning of the ride....

and ps, my dad's an architecht (and once worked with Curtis D Summer) so i think i know how to build stuff like that...

coasterdude28
06-25-2005, 12:21 AM
It looks really good. I really want to see this work out for you.

PANTSFREE
06-25-2005, 09:30 AM
ill just say good luck. I know I couldn't do something like build an actual working life size rideable copaster in my back yard... I have a hard enough time making a model wooden coaster.

and finances are always a problem.

reon
06-25-2005, 09:38 AM
yes finances are a problem, but think of it this way: MY PARENTS OWE ME! first of all they built a house in the backyard of my old house, which was utterly huge enough to fit in the coaster and still have ample room (big financing problem for the coaster) then they decided to sell our family heirloom car (which was going to be mine next) because they couldnt pay it's bills (the new house just might have effected that) add that to the fact that as i said, architecture runs in the family, and that i have a paying job that pays me about $200 a week, and it shouldnt be THAT bad.....well you know what i mean...

slipknot8527
06-25-2005, 10:34 AM
Yes.....you really know what you are doing....sorry. I guess that one crude MS Paint drawing should have shut me up.

coasterking11
06-25-2005, 06:28 PM
Can anyone else post the pics for me the guy who originaly said he could couldnt. Send me your email adress, and post them.

sfft_2108
06-25-2005, 07:44 PM
I will. I will pm you my email address.

sfft_2108
06-26-2005, 09:50 PM
...and we have pictures. :) I am not involved with this project in any form besides uploading pictures. lol.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/ccr_2108/Coasterking11%20backyard%20coaster/chilio20129.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/ccr_2108/Coasterking11%20backyard%20coaster/chilio20132.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/ccr_2108/Coasterking11%20backyard%20coaster/chilio20134.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/ccr_2108/Coasterking11%20backyard%20coaster/chilio20135.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/ccr_2108/Coasterking11%20backyard%20coaster/chilio20136.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/ccr_2108/Coasterking11%20backyard%20coaster/chilio20137.jpg

89magnumxl200
06-26-2005, 10:19 PM
Coasterking11, it looks good so far, and being in the woods makes it even better.
Are you the only one building this or do you have help?

M1hockeydude
06-26-2005, 11:10 PM
Right now, my dad is building a deck for our yard (which has been 3 years now, but hey! its almost done all he has to do is finish the stairs) and when he putting in the footers he forgot to cement one post in and the next day (we had a storm overnight) the like 200 pound post was right out of the hole and 2 feet away due to the storm. YOU MUST CEMENT IN THE FOOTERS OR IT WILL LEAD TO BAD THINGS!!.

While were on the homemade coaster subject, I have a savings account for a homemade roller coaster that has about 3,000 dollars in it and my dad wants me to build one for my senior project! I cant waIt.

coasterdude28
06-27-2005, 12:02 AM
Looks good. It seems like you are already hard at work.

pipesdrums
06-27-2005, 02:00 AM
No offense, but I can see hundreds of things you are doing wrong in those pictures. It looks like you are just building off the seat of your pants and don't really have any plan (structure and track wise, not layout).
Is that wood laying on the side of the path the wood you are going to be using for the structure? If it is, I am willing to bet it will collapse under the weight of a passing rider in a single car. Half of that lumber looks like twigs and toothpicks.
You should find someone who has autocad or Archetecual Desktop and get them to help you design a rough cross section of how the track is going to fasten to the structure below it.
And if you are going to use cement blocks as the footings you will need to dig them into the ground a little deeper if you don't want the structure to shift around and then having to constantly rebuild the track and structure so that it doesn't collapse.

I've taken a bunch of carpentry, archecture and other similar courses that deal with construction and construction techniques, so if you need any help with the structure feel free to contact me on msn.

Whatever you do, don't rush it and build something that will wobble and collaspe. Better safe than sorry.
Anyways, good luck on your coaster venture.

coasterking11
06-27-2005, 12:31 PM
Im filling the cement with more cement and also the suports up there arnt nailed in or anything so Ill prorobly be doing more work on it. Another thing is there will still me cross beams and all that and things conecting each suport to disribute the wiegh of the car. Ill make sure I take more pics as the project progresses.

MachChunk
06-27-2005, 03:27 PM
For all you jerks out there just ready to rip on coasterking, just back off and let him go on with what he's doing. It already looks like he's gone through enough ridicule here.

coasetrphil
06-27-2005, 03:33 PM
We are just trying to help him before he wastes huge amounts of time and money on something that will fall apart as soon as any weight is added to it.

LadyBug89
06-27-2005, 04:18 PM
uhhh, good luck, and be carefull. Dont you need some kind of permission by your city to do this?

Emann
06-27-2005, 05:42 PM
Not if they dont see it.

Maxamillious
06-27-2005, 06:05 PM
I mastered Auto CAD in my Freshmen year of High School (last year.) I am taking an advanced corse on it next year. To bad i dont have it on my home computer yet, but if i could go to a bussiness in San Antoino some where that i could use it then i could help you out, but i dont have $6000.00 to spare for the progam right now, sorry.

Why would you use Auto CAD. The only thing you could make is OHV, RV, LV, BV, & FV. Really you should use inventor. Its the same thing as Auto CAD nearly (and there compatibal) expect you can make a 3D model of it, this would help when building it on the side of a bumpy hill like you are doing. The 3D model would be more affective and give you a better idea of things. And you can also genrate a MV from the 3D model so that helps big time. ( School is so helpfull these days. :D )

- Max

P.S. - Good catch pipes. Your lumber does actually look really thin. Is it going to be elvated off the ground anymore then a foot? Maby you should keep it at around level.

P.S.S. - I think he only needs a Citys aprovel if he lets the genral public ride it, or if he makes a profit. And if you profit from it with out a theme park attraction licence then the cops/court/city bord?/someone important? will have a few choice words for you.

coasterdude28
06-27-2005, 06:54 PM
You are right and wrong. In some places you need permission from the township to build things in your yard. Like you might need to get a permit to put up a fence or plant a tree. But that is not in all places.

You do need a permit if you are going to profit from the ride, just like food. You can cook the food but you need a permit to let people buy it. You can build the coaster, but you need a permit to let people ride it or pay to ride it.

Byron
06-27-2005, 09:32 PM
I think you should keep building it. Don't let these people discourage you.

Just make sure you video tape the first ride...I want to see that...

Jerry S
06-28-2005, 09:11 AM
^You're sick. Sick, I tell ya.

JK (as long as I don't get banned).

Other people may be right with their criticism, like about how you don't know if the wood will hold up under the weight exerted on it. One thing to do, assome mentioned, would be to add a bit more of a truss, such as X connectors in the structure. But when taking the coaster through it's first few rides, either pad up like a football player, or get several sand bags and stick them in the car.

coasterlove
07-01-2005, 03:55 PM
Good luck with this coaster. I hope it turns out good for you. It's a really ambitious thing to do. I'm sure you're having as much fun building it as you will riding it once it's done. One question and maybe I missed it in here, what are you going to use for a train/seat?

I think you should keep building it. Don't let these people discourage you.

Who's discouraging him? I've only seen two people make jokes out of it. And that was already a couple weeks ago. Anyone else that said anything about it was giving constuctive critism. Why is it that if someone offers a suggestion, they're trying to put him down. Just about everyone in this thread has had nice things to say for him.

coasterking11
07-05-2005, 09:09 PM
Ive done some more work on it ill make sure I put up some more pics this week.

Cephas
07-05-2005, 10:15 PM
hey, for the track, you could just have plywood bent into position and nail guardrails on each side and create a small slide type thingey. You could then put casters on the bottom of a plank of wood, and ride. You couldn't have any negative g's, but thats the simplest track plan I can think of. You could also put a tarp down and ride the thing like a waterslide if you felt like it!

Make sure your using treated wood so that it dosn't fall apart and rot away in 3 months.

I could see your supports working w/ my plywood idea, just your going to need more of them closer together.

Look on the bright side, think about all the carpentry you'll learn from this project! even if you fail!

sfft_2108
07-06-2005, 01:35 AM
You can send me the pictures again and I will host them and show TN. :)

coasterfreak14
07-06-2005, 09:28 PM
I think this looks good so far. You need to keep it up. Don't quit like the other dude on TN did.

coasterking11
07-09-2005, 03:42 PM
Well i send the pics to sfft_2108 and he will post them the pics are from the 7th and ill send more proboly in about 4 or 5 days from now. Ive measured some of the stuff but some arnt persise. The hill to the bottom is about 35 feet tall but the acuall drop will be a little less than 30 feet all together. The first bunny hill is about 9 feet tall but it wont look that way because theres elevation between that part of the ride the rest of the ride. It is kind of an optical illusion becuase when I stand next to it im about a foot taller them it. The send bunny hill is 5 feet tall (keep in mind these are suposed to be floater hills. The top of the turn around is about 5 feet as well.

slipknot8527
07-09-2005, 05:18 PM
I hope your carpentry skills are better than your grammar skills.

willski2002
07-09-2005, 05:28 PM
uhhh.......so let me get this straight, you have a 30 ft. drop into a 9 ft. hill into a 5 ft. hill into a 5 ft. turnaround into......what?

I think the progression of those elements is too quick. Maybe that's just my opinion, but you don't want another Mantis. The "floater" air on those hills could be some excellent prolonged ejextor air if you do it right though.

coasterking11
07-09-2005, 08:56 PM
Willski2002 what do u mean by "the progression of those elements is too quick"? Theres only 3 main elements after the drop.

willski2002
07-09-2005, 09:51 PM
The progression of the height of those elements is too quick. Look at Mantis:

145' Lift
119' Loop

Ok so far.

103' Dive Loop
High turn
83' Inclined loop

These elements become too small too quickly. You don't want that to happen. It's okay to a certain point, but beyond that, it's just too many Gs. Even with the trims on the first drop, Mantis still has no hangtime at the apex of the dive loop, unlike most B&Ms.

Cephas
07-09-2005, 10:11 PM
How are you constructing the track and cars?

sfft_2108
07-10-2005, 04:28 PM
2nd Set Of Pictures

http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/5449/chilio201417op.th.jpg (http://img122.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chilio201417op.jpg)

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/2206/chilio201449hs.th.jpg (http://img20.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chilio201449hs.jpg)

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/1801/chilio201454tw.th.jpg (http://img20.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chilio201454tw.jpg)

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/4082/chilio201479nm.th.jpg (http://img20.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chilio201479nm.jpg)

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/4278/chilio201483xy.th.jpg (http://img20.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chilio201483xy.jpg)

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/9254/chilio201495he.th.jpg (http://img20.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chilio201495he.jpg)

sfft_2108
07-10-2005, 04:44 PM
Third Set Of Pictures

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/9726/chilio201447ym.th.jpg (http://img20.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chilio201447ym.jpg)

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/3464/chilio201479nw.th.jpg (http://img20.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chilio201479nw.jpg)

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/1369/chilio201481nb.th.jpg (http://img20.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chilio201481nb.jpg)

http://img20.echo.cx/img20/3878/chilio201499pj.th.jpg (http://img20.echo.cx/my.php?image=chilio201499pj.jpg)

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/8606/chilio201507ia.th.jpg (http://img20.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chilio201507ia.jpg)

Cephas
07-10-2005, 10:28 PM
That wood dosen't look treated, the ride will last less than 6 months if it dosn't break on the first ride. You have nowhere near enough supports and I can't really see you attaching much of a track to those supports. Your supports are also kinda wimpy and you don't have enough bracing on them anyways. At this point I just suggest starting over, or trying to lay down plywood on top of the supports and creating a bobsled type coaster.

Tried to be nice up to this point, but thats the cold hard truth. Hope you'll at least learn from your mistakes, a phase II would probably be much better.

coasterking11
07-11-2005, 11:54 AM
I wouldnt say that cephas. The supports there are just up there im not putting on the cross beams, conectors, and all that stuff untill after i pour the cement in, some of the suports will be atached to a cable (top of the 2 bunny hills, turn around) which will be atached to the ground and in one case a tree. And by the way the suports are bigger in real life, they look really small for some reason in the pics, ill show some picsof a differnt angle of the them and maybe you will change your mind. I love to prove people wrong and I guess ill have to do it.

P.S. I have A.D.H.D and some people who have that cant let some things go so I guess thats me.

reon
07-11-2005, 12:18 PM
Wow, I havent posted here in a while ^^; Ive made some progress and layed out the whole layout with sticks. Heres some photos I took of the site, with descriptions of whats gonna happen when. Im gonna use the same methods that Jeremy Reid did for construction...

http://photobucket.com/albums/v467/Reon_Skyridge/Rollercoasters/backyard%20coaster/

any questions/comments?

sfft_2108
07-11-2005, 12:43 PM
Reon, I suggest that you make your own backyard coaster thread. Its not good to have 2 people posting about their seperate coasters in one thread. Other people might get confused. I got confused in the first place. I thought yall where working on it together. So start your own.

Coasters24
07-13-2005, 05:12 PM
I'm working on the coaster with coasterking, it's fun going garbage picking and working on the coaster but all i get to do is hard labor like cutting the wood and moving cinderblocks n rocks. Dave aka Coasterking ill post more pics.

sfft_2108
07-13-2005, 05:30 PM
Finally some one who is working on the coaster that knows how to post pictures. lol. Show us some more.

Cephas
07-13-2005, 08:45 PM
Can somebody say whether the wood is treated or not?

You could use something like trex and not have to worry about rotting/ wood deterioration.

500th Post!

coasterking11
07-13-2005, 10:59 PM
Coasters24 doesnt no how to post pics either he just worded it wrong. Sadly neither of us have to brain power to figure it out. Anyways latly ive been working on the station and the little sceinic part before the drop. Ill make sure to take some pics either tomorow or the next day. Ill email them to you sfft_2108.

sfft_2108
07-13-2005, 11:03 PM
No biggie. Its cool to post pictures and all. I get to be the first one to see em. :)

geoking66
07-13-2005, 11:56 PM
I think that it's great that people are willing to build coasters in their backyard. I don't have enough space, but I would love to put one on my roof.

jimths08
07-14-2005, 12:02 AM
I've got the space and room (hehe, woods=headchoppers) but its a matter of money and experience. Someday... Hey, maybe I'll become a millonare and be able to invite CCI/GG over for lunch someday!

sfft_2108
07-14-2005, 05:14 PM
Fourth Set Of Pictures

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/177/chilio201512bk.th.jpg (http://img193.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chilio201512bk.jpg)

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/5925/chilio201523ud.th.jpg (http://img193.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chilio201523ud.jpg)

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/8907/chilio201537fc.th.jpg (http://img193.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chilio201537fc.jpg)

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/9919/chilio201544qy.th.jpg (http://img193.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chilio201544qy.jpg)

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/6163/chilio201552ae.th.jpg (http://img193.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chilio201552ae.jpg)

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/9946/chilio201577ck.th.jpg (http://img193.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chilio201577ck.jpg)

jimths08
07-14-2005, 05:21 PM
Sweet, in the back of the pic is what looks like a drop-off from the track area; did you guys level it like that or was that the natural terrain? I think that will add a sense of height to the ride in the end, depending on how much you bank it.

coasterking11
07-14-2005, 09:04 PM
Which pic???

jimths08
07-14-2005, 09:05 PM
The first two.

coasterking11
07-14-2005, 09:11 PM
Its not really a drop off, its a turn around but it will hang a bit over the edge.

Coasters24
07-14-2005, 09:18 PM
If we really wanted too we could have made 2nd big drop down that hill and built down the hill but that would be a lot more work and supplises and the land belongs to the town anyway

jimths08
07-14-2005, 09:20 PM
Yea, I saw it wouldn't go down the hill but the hill is there and seems like it would add a sense of height in the turn.

coasterking11
07-15-2005, 11:39 AM
I still never took pics of the station and the sceinic part before the drop ill make sure I do it.

Coasters24
07-17-2005, 01:00 PM
there's not a whole lot to see there except for some stubs

Coasters24
07-17-2005, 01:19 PM
and some holes

coasterdude28
07-17-2005, 02:00 PM
Next time use the edit feature at the bottom of your post instead of double posting.

Progress seems to be going well.

coasterfreak14
07-17-2005, 04:03 PM
This seems to be going pretty good. I think the layout is pretty cool too. Keep up the good work!

coasterking11
07-19-2005, 11:41 AM
I made some nice paint pics, expect to see them soon.

coasterking11
07-21-2005, 09:12 PM
Does anyone know were sfft_2108 has been I emailed him pics on the 16th but he hasnt been on since.

Tanks4me05
07-21-2005, 09:27 PM
coasterking11, would it be possible for you to make your coaster on NL and upload it? I really would like to see somewhat what it might look like when it's finished.

coasterking11
07-24-2005, 08:53 PM
sfft_2108 hasnt been on in a while can anyone else hoast the pics for me.

jimths08
07-24-2005, 08:54 PM
I'll put em up if you want.

coastercraverjim@msn.com

forfun
07-25-2005, 12:17 AM
looks brilliant, Finish it quick so we can see!

forfun
07-25-2005, 02:20 AM
How much is this costing you by the way??

jimths08
07-25-2005, 01:02 PM
http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/4358/chilio201585xl.th.jpg (http://img324.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chilio201585xl.jpg)

http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/2779/chilio201595re.th.jpg (http://img324.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chilio201595re.jpg)

http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/1998/chilio201605nr.th.jpg (http://img324.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chilio201605nr.jpg)

http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/6756/chilio201614tf.th.jpg (http://img324.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chilio201614tf.jpg)

http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/9273/chilio201620vf.th.jpg (http://img324.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chilio201620vf.jpg)

http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/1833/chilio201637pm.th.jpg (http://img324.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chilio201637pm.jpg)

http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/1923/chilio201643rp.th.jpg (http://img324.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chilio201643rp.jpg)

http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/8688/chilio201650os.th.jpg (http://img324.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chilio201650os.jpg)

http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/1464/chilio201667tt.th.jpg (http://img324.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chilio201667tt.jpg)

jimths08
07-25-2005, 01:03 PM
http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/1923/chilio201671mb.th.jpg (http://img324.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chilio201671mb.jpg)

http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/6857/chilio201688fl.th.jpg (http://img324.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chilio201688fl.jpg)

http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/9823/chilio201698as.th.jpg (http://img324.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chilio201698as.jpg)

jimths08
07-25-2005, 01:08 PM
Pretty neat little layout images. Really shows the layout good!

http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/688/paint20pic17ex.th.jpg (http://img324.imageshack.us/my.php?image=paint20pic17ex.jpg)

http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/50/paint20pic2026hl.th.jpg (http://img324.imageshack.us/my.php?image=paint20pic2026hl.jpg)

http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/6331/paint20pic2031xf.th.jpg (http://img324.imageshack.us/my.php?image=paint20pic2031xf.jpg)

http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/8645/paint20pic2046pl.th.jpg (http://img324.imageshack.us/my.php?image=paint20pic2046pl.jpg)

http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/2285/paint20pic2056py.th.jpg (http://img324.imageshack.us/my.php?image=paint20pic2056py.jpg)

http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/981/paint20pic2060aw.th.jpg (http://img324.imageshack.us/my.php?image=paint20pic2060aw.jpg)

http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/8144/paint20pic2092wa.th.jpg (http://img324.imageshack.us/my.php?image=paint20pic2092wa.jpg)

http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/236/paint20pic20105iz.th.jpg (http://img324.imageshack.us/my.php?image=paint20pic20105iz.jpg)

tommyistommy
07-25-2005, 01:50 PM
Anyone who takes the time to do this and money is down with me. Can't wait to see it done!

chchaisson
07-27-2005, 02:12 PM
Have you thought about what the cars will look like? Looks great, can't wait to see more. Someone built an extremely simple coaster (just a track) in their yard: http://home.austin.rr.com/nordyke/

forfun
07-27-2005, 08:41 PM
Have you thought about what the cars will look like?

You mean car?. Why would he have more than one?

By the way, how did you come up with the layout of the track?, like how do you know it wont go too fast in some areas?

TimberWolfe
07-27-2005, 08:53 PM
Looks Awsome Keep it up

chchaisson
07-27-2005, 09:53 PM
Car, of course.

cannonballer
07-28-2005, 05:34 AM
I hope you guys test it with a dummy before you ride it yourselves or even a sand bag or somthing. Just dont want you guys to end up killing yourselves.

siestakey
07-28-2005, 01:45 PM
Looks like it will come out pretty good, yo've got the right land there.

coasterking11
07-30-2005, 03:53 PM
Someone tell me what they like or dont like or anything like that.

forfun
07-30-2005, 08:46 PM
How high is the drop? in metres?

Someone tell me what they like or dont like or anything like that.

It's looks pretty perfect actually

jimths08
07-30-2005, 08:50 PM
I think the support structure looks pretty lame, but being its a backyard coaster by normal people who don't have exploding pocketbooks thats figurable. It seems like it would vibrate and shake alot.

EDIT: By the way coasterking, did you ever get my email?

DSB
07-31-2005, 08:20 AM
Looks really cool. Nice graphics. Keep us posted. Just be sure to test it a bit.

coasterking11
07-31-2005, 08:05 PM
I got your email and I'll probobly be taking pics tomorow or the next day.

magic108
07-31-2005, 08:59 PM
what thats a waste of money

siestakey
07-31-2005, 11:03 PM
not at all man, i would pay to put a coaster iny my yard, even if i built it.

TimberWolfe
08-01-2005, 01:05 AM
dont be mean its no waste:devil:

DSB
08-01-2005, 07:56 AM
it's definetly not a waste if you know what you're doing. If you are just winging it and you have no idea what you're doing it's a huge waste.

rawbert_thrillz
08-01-2005, 05:43 PM
i would put a coaster in my back yard but a launch coaster;)

coasterking11
08-01-2005, 05:58 PM

Lets see if magic can guess how much ive spent already!

P.S. Rawbert how would you posibly make a launching coaster? tieing a cart to a john dear?

jimths08
08-01-2005, 07:45 PM
Pretty nice pics. Nice one showing the banking on the turn.

http://img173.imageshack.us/img173/1156/chilio201720he.th.jpg (http://img173.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chilio201720he.jpg)

http://img173.imageshack.us/img173/733/chilio201738to.th.jpg (http://img173.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chilio201738to.jpg)

http://img173.imageshack.us/img173/9844/chilio201746en.th.jpg (http://img173.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chilio201746en.jpg)

http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/9618/chilio201751xv.th.jpg (http://img77.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chilio201751xv.jpg)

http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/5641/chilio201767ja.th.jpg (http://img77.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chilio201767ja.jpg)

http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/481/chilio201771nv.th.jpg (http://img77.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chilio201771nv.jpg)

http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/4016/chilio201786fd.th.jpg (http://img77.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chilio201786fd.jpg)

DSB
08-01-2005, 08:18 PM
Looks like it's actually gonna happen- next project is a coaster train that would latch on to a car underneath the track and someone driving would launch you. Just make sure they're trustable - lol. "OOOOOPS! 50 mph to fast! Sorry!"

rawbert_thrillz
08-01-2005, 08:30 PM
Lets see if magic can guess how much ive spent already!

P.S. Rawbert how would you posibly make a launching coaster? tieing a cart to a john dear?

uh no my aunt owns sooo much land and a launching coaster can fit in there a mini one...DEAR...

rich12_16
08-01-2005, 08:54 PM
Who is helping you with this massive project?

coasterdude28
08-01-2005, 09:02 PM
uh no my aunt owns sooo much land and a launching coaster can fit in there a mini one...DEAR...

He was not referring to how much room you would have, he was saying how are you going to launch it.

coasterking11
08-01-2005, 10:33 PM
Who is helping you with this massive project?

Some friends and coasters24 (the one with the stupid look on his face in the first pic)

Also some of the beams are not perfectly striaght like in pics 4 and 6. I still need to pour the concret which I am planing to do next week.

Common guys keep telling me what you like or dont like im intrested in knowing what you think.

P.S what ever happend to that other guy trying to build his coaster.

RaptorXLC
08-01-2005, 11:12 PM
I'm actually suprised you haven't given up already. Congrats on that. The one thing I do have to say is that it doesn't look like the supports will be strong enough. I mean are you just gonna have the two pieces of wood beneath each cross beam. I would think you'd need some diagonal supporst between the supports.

like this
|X| or |\|

not like you have it
| |

ya know what I mean?

DSB
08-02-2005, 07:47 AM
Yeah two bars is a bit flimsy, let's hope it has good foundations.

jimths08
08-02-2005, 10:29 AM
Especially on the turns you need the crossbeams, the laterals will want to throw the structure to the right/left and if a crossbeam is there, its not as likely to shift.

coasterking11
08-02-2005, 02:42 PM
I'm actually suprised you haven't given up already. Congrats on that. The one thing I do have to say is that it doesn't look like the supports will be strong enough. I mean are you just gonna have the two pieces of wood beneath each cross beam. I would think you'd need some diagonal supporst between the supports.

like this
|X| or |\|

not like you have it
| |

ya know what I mean?

Dont worry, My plan is to have the l l then once I concret everything and nail and bolt everything and before I put the track on I will lXl l/l everything. Just to save me incase I need to take somthing out or switch somthing around.

siestakey
08-03-2005, 06:26 PM
You're getting a lot done, congrats. Good luck ocmpleting it, I hope it runs safe. I'm sure you already know this, just in case though:
If you do l/l you should do:
l\l/l
l/l\l }On Top like that.
l\l/l
l/l\l

Cephas
08-03-2005, 08:09 PM
I don't think all that bracing is needed for their roller coaster because if is so small.

coasterdude28
08-03-2005, 08:30 PM
On the same lines as a backyard coaster, I have found something else. Last night I was watching Ripley's and saw this backyard monorail. It is very cool. The guy built his lifelong dream. It goes all of the way around his yard and inbetween trees. Check out the pictures and history here http://www.monorails.org/tMspages/Niles.html. Personally, I think he is a peeping tom trying to get a better view of his neighbors.

cannonballer
08-04-2005, 11:29 PM
That kinda sucks, wheres the thrill?

RaptorXLC
08-05-2005, 11:41 AM
maybe he's a monorail enthusiast.

FLCC Josh
08-05-2005, 12:37 PM
That is pretty sweet!

Cephas
08-05-2005, 06:54 PM
^^^I think it would be thrilling enough to be that high up in just that little car.

coasterdude28
08-05-2005, 09:49 PM
It's a monorail, not a coaster. Monorails usually are not that thrilling but I'd like just the same.

DSB
08-07-2005, 10:28 AM
It look awesome even though it isn't thrilling.

coasterking11
08-08-2005, 09:31 AM
Ill be taking more pics either today or on the 10th.

siestakey
08-08-2005, 05:34 PM
Well, good luck finishing, keep up the good work.

M1hockeydude
08-08-2005, 06:53 PM
whats this costing you?

jimths08
08-10-2005, 12:09 PM
http://img298.imageshack.us/img298/9638/chilio201795su.th.jpg (http://img298.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chilio201795su.jpg)

http://img298.imageshack.us/img298/9092/chilio201807zo.th.jpg (http://img298.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chilio201807zo.jpg)

http://img298.imageshack.us/img298/5266/chilio201816yw.th.jpg (http://img298.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chilio201816yw.jpg)

http://img298.imageshack.us/img298/8708/chilio201821xu.th.jpg (http://img298.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chilio201821xu.jpg)

http://img298.imageshack.us/img298/4193/chilio201830pa.th.jpg (http://img298.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chilio201830pa.jpg)

http://img298.imageshack.us/img298/2807/chilio201844yh.th.jpg (http://img298.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chilio201844yh.jpg)

http://img298.imageshack.us/img298/3798/chilio201878hk.th.jpg (http://img298.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chilio201878hk.jpg)

http://img298.imageshack.us/img298/7413/chilio201891nv.th.jpg (http://img298.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chilio201891nv.jpg)

http://img298.imageshack.us/img298/3098/chilio201906gu.th.jpg (http://img298.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chilio201906gu.jpg)

Sorry for taking so long to post them, I was at SFGAm all weekend.

TrevorSROS
08-10-2005, 12:19 PM
I would kill to have a coaster in my backyard. Good luck on finishing!

coasterking11
08-10-2005, 03:41 PM
Theres Xs's

DSB
08-10-2005, 07:07 PM
A roller coaster in a backyard is a totally awesome idea... especially if it works!! Imagine waking up, looking out your window, and seeing millenium force right there in your back yard! Then imagine waking up and realizing it was a dream. :( !!!

coasterking11
08-15-2005, 07:54 PM
Im saving alot of money I got hundreds of free peices of wood, 7 free bags of cement mix, about 20 free cinder blocks, and more free wood, and some more free little stuff like paint and paint brushes and little stuff.

Kingdakasurivor
08-15-2005, 10:48 PM
a think a train would be better because it could keep the speed longer.

and what color are you painting it and what are you using for track ????????????????

Kingdakasurivor
08-15-2005, 10:53 PM
mabby you culd ask home depot or lowes for donations like dunkin doununt donated 1000 free munchins for our school dance and shoprite donated 30 huge bottles of soda .
just go to a few shops and ask if they will donate any thing.
luberyard might give you wood they cant sell

Kingdakasurivor
08-15-2005, 11:25 PM
maby you can make a scetion of track out of munchkins. LOL

coasterdude28
08-15-2005, 11:52 PM
Try not to triple post. Just use the edit button at the bottom of your posts.

Any more pictures for us?

Cephas
08-16-2005, 12:30 AM
Don't try a train/track. A bobsled coaster would be much easier/less complicated.

Kingdakasurivor
08-16-2005, 05:18 PM
how would you make it slick enough to make it slide

coasterking11
08-16-2005, 06:06 PM
Its been a bit slow latly all I need to do is get over to home depot and then I can start picking up the pace. Ill try to take some pics before the 20th.

Cephas
08-16-2005, 07:21 PM
how would you make it slick enough to make it slide

Have you actually been on a bobsled coaster? Do any of them actually slide?

Just put 3 of these on the bottom of a board...

http://www.alibaba.com/photo/50047311/Caster_Wheel.jpg

...sit on the board and ride 'er down!

And yes, you will need to use casters since the minimum curve diameter on your track is so small. Also, make sure you install guard rails on the side of the bobsled track...

msd83
08-16-2005, 08:20 PM
Make two rails on your track, each consisting of a few layers of wood, with the top layer(or layers?) a bit wider, so that there is a lip on the inside.

Also, this might be a bit helpful:
http://www.coasterquest.com/coasterconstruction.htm

Cephas
08-16-2005, 09:14 PM
That's WAY too complicated for a few teenagers...imo...

msd83
08-16-2005, 09:48 PM
Yeah, you're probably right, it's only a backyard coaster after all. Also, I only gave the webpage as a basis for ideas and the such, I don't expect them to do anything like that.

Overall, though, keep up the good work. It would be great to see this project completed!
Good luck!

Martin
08-16-2005, 09:59 PM
Yeah that seems a bit complicated. A bobsled coaster like Cephas suggested seems like a better idea for a teenager building a coaster.

Martin
08-16-2005, 10:04 PM
Yeah that seems a bit complicated. A bobsled coaster like Cephas suggested seems like a better idea for a teenager building a coaster.

Cephas
08-16-2005, 10:37 PM
how about building the bobsled with big guard rails. The little carts that people would sit in could be circular (get back to it) and have 3 wheels. With 3 wheels, the cars couldn't wobble when the track is turning in more than 1 dimension. If the car is circular, it will 'roll' along the guard rails, creating a sort of spinning wild mouse. Riders would just need somewhere to hold on...TIGHT.

Kingdakasurivor
08-17-2005, 01:28 PM
Have you actually been on a bobsled coaster? Do any of them actually slide?

Just put 3 of these on the bottom of a board...

http://www.alibaba.com/photo/50047311/Caster_Wheel.jpg

...sit on the board and ride 'er down!

And yes, you will need to use casters since the minimum curve diameter on your track is so small. Also, make sure you install guard rails on the side of the bobsled track...

I thought it silded form what i saw oon RCT2

coasterdude28
08-17-2005, 02:11 PM
And in RCT2 everyone is wearing the same outfit.

The real ones use wheels. Check on RCDB.com.

][ntamin22
08-19-2005, 02:11 AM
lmao, thats great.

Kingdakasurivor
08-19-2005, 09:04 PM
when are we going to see new Pics

jman8934
08-20-2005, 11:31 AM
I wish my parents would let me build a coaster...we are getting a sun room built and the wood is sitting in my yard...this ends the lumber problem...hehe.

Good luck

Johnny Upsidedown
08-20-2005, 06:39 PM
Speaking of coasters in your back yard. Did you see this article. http://www.n-tv.de/568074.html Translated below is what it says but you got to see the photos of the ride this 14 yr old was building. Its pretty amazing looking work.

Roller coaster in garden
Student must tear down construction

For months, 14-year-old David Mossmann constructed a roller coaster in
the garden of his parents' house in Offenburg, now he must tear it
down. According to the City of Offenburg, the wood construction does
not comply with safety and landscaping regulations. The roller coaster
must be demolished by the 11th of September, or the student is subject
to a fine.

Because the roller coaster was only intended for personal use, the
young man did not inform the building authorities about the ride,
which he planned to complete in the Spring. The roller coaster stands
about 100m long and 5m high, and could reach a speed of 47 km/h. But
the City authorities put a stop to the 14-year-old's progress. They
claim that the ride is too dangerous, and it makes no difference
whether it is intended for private or public use.

medieval
08-20-2005, 08:26 PM
Wow. It looks like Intiman!
Thats amazing, it sucks that he has to tear it down. It looks like he spent alot of time on it.

coasterking11
08-20-2005, 09:04 PM
Lets hope that wont happen to me. Its close to the ground at all time only about 4 feet above the ground and it completly hidden in the woods, especialy when its black.

coasterking11
08-23-2005, 08:50 AM
Ill be taking pics this afternoon, anyone wanna post them.

jimths08
08-23-2005, 08:42 PM
More neat pics showing the structure. One nice turn of banking.

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/6539/getmsg8ac.th.jpg (http://img376.imageshack.us/my.php?image=getmsg8ac.jpg)

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/9822/getmsg11ub.th.jpg (http://img376.imageshack.us/my.php?image=getmsg11ub.jpg)

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/2851/getmsg20db.th.jpg (http://img376.imageshack.us/my.php?image=getmsg20db.jpg)

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/8762/getmsg36ou.th.jpg (http://img376.imageshack.us/my.php?image=getmsg36ou.jpg)

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/1472/getmsg47fj.th.jpg (http://img376.imageshack.us/my.php?image=getmsg47fj.jpg)

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/9494/getmsg58le.th.jpg (http://img376.imageshack.us/my.php?image=getmsg58le.jpg)

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/3327/getmsg61ip.th.jpg (http://img376.imageshack.us/my.php?image=getmsg61ip.jpg)

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/9194/getmsg70hl.th.jpg (http://img376.imageshack.us/my.php?image=getmsg70hl.jpg)

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/7201/getmsg86pv.th.jpg (http://img376.imageshack.us/my.php?image=getmsg86pv.jpg)

msd83
08-24-2005, 09:20 AM
Wow, looks great! Nice banking on that turn. I really like how the coaster dodges between the trees in the second and third picture.

UKCOASTERSDUDE
08-24-2005, 09:47 AM
Thats brilliant! When do you excpect to finish you're project?

coasterdude28
08-24-2005, 09:54 AM
Looks great. I was just about to ask if you had an estimated opening date.

Martin
08-24-2005, 03:15 PM
That's really cool coasterking. Keep up the good work. Sorry if this has already asked, but do you have people helping you make this or is it just you making this by yourself?

msd83
08-24-2005, 03:41 PM
^^^ Here you go. :)

Who is helping you with this massive project

Some friends and coasters24 (the one with the stupid look on his face in the first pic)

siestakey
08-25-2005, 04:06 PM
Lets hope that wont happen to me. Its close to the ground at all time only about 4 feet above the ground and it completly hidden in the woods, especialy when its black.

oh man...u dont have a permit? i hope that doesnt happen to you.

coasterking11
08-29-2005, 08:54 PM
Ive done a lot of work latly ill post some pics in 2 or 3 days.

jimths08
09-02-2005, 10:43 PM
More pics. Nice shots of the banking. If only he could hold the camera a little stiller. Haha!

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1416/chjkljljkljl201735zr.th.jpg (http://img242.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chjkljljkljl201735zr.jpg)

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/3720/chjkljljkljl201742qk.th.jpg (http://img242.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chjkljljkljl201742qk.jpg)

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/3885/chjkljljkljl201759gg.th.jpg (http://img242.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chjkljljkljl201759gg.jpg)

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/7803/chjkljljkljl201773op.th.jpg (http://img242.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chjkljljkljl201773op.jpg)

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/1685/chjkljljkljl201781cf.th.jpg (http://img91.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chjkljljkljl201781cf.jpg)

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/2528/chjkljljkljl201798ko.th.jpg (http://img91.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chjkljljkljl201798ko.jpg)

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/2032/chjkljljkljl201810bz.th.jpg (http://img91.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chjkljljkljl201810bz.jpg)

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/3429/chjkljljkljl201834ya.th.jpg (http://img91.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chjkljljkljl201834ya.jpg)

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/4020/chjkljljkljl201831eq.th.jpg (http://img91.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chjkljljkljl201831eq.jpg)

jimths08
09-02-2005, 10:45 PM
Couple of leftovers that didn't fit.

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/3689/chjkljljkljl201858bk.th.jpg (http://img91.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chjkljljkljl201858bk.jpg)

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/851/chjkljljkljl201861ls.th.jpg (http://img91.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chjkljljkljl201861ls.jpg)

coasterdude28
09-02-2005, 11:04 PM
Looks good. I love the banking. Keep up the good work.

msd83
09-02-2005, 11:23 PM
Looks great. Nice banking. I see some cross supports are getting put in as well. Nice job!

Marc
09-03-2005, 06:32 PM
I see two problems. Lack of good protection/bracing for lateral force and viberation. Secondly, the foundations are as is inadaquate to support and hold the beams.

Both are currently good enough to make it work, but will cause longevity issues very quickly. I understand that you are trying to get the largest ride with a minimal budget. Cross brackets reduce stress more than you'd think. Also if the ledgers begin to break, the cross brackets could be the difference between a half hour fix or days to fix a section of the ride.

I would make sure the sections with the hard cornering are rock solid. They have the most amount of stress. Then I would reinforce the taller sections. Before laying track I would do a wiggle test on all of the ledgers. With a few colors of spray paint, put a small dot on the ledger. Say green for rock solid, yellow for slight movement and red for sloppy. I would also find some cheap metal brackets of various sizes to reinforce the connections adding more wood if needed. I can also say that the ledgers would need to be much larger to keep the gauge tight.

As for the footers, I'd see how they hold up. If you have any problems with just a few of them, you might have some luck with quickcrete. I would brace the beam up with a jig, dig out the block, extend the beam down, nail a bunch of longer nails halfway into the end of the beam where the concrete will be, mix up the concrete (try for a dryer mix where you get all the powder moist but not real wet), pour and wait untill it sets before running the ride again. Since it takes a long time to do, you might want to just to a temp fix to get you by and build a list of things you want to get done during maintenance periods of extended downtime. Also other spray paint colors for maintenance issues may come in handy such as blue for rough spots.

The most important thing you can ensure is that the gauge of the track doesn't open up in time. This is very important as I see it as the most likely cause of catastrophic failure. The second that I can see is the ledger breaking away from the supports from lateral forces and viberations.

To be as blunt as possible, do everything to avoid a trip to the hospital. I would be much less upset reading about weights getting into an accident than a human.

Good luck with this project, I'd have a ball with it if I lived close enough to help.

iluvcoasters
09-04-2005, 10:36 AM
What are you using for the actual track? How do you plan on bending it?

coasterking11
09-10-2005, 08:59 AM
Ive done more on the drop and reinforced and put some cross beams in and some other good stuff ill take pics either today or tommorow.

coasterking11
09-19-2005, 07:36 PM
dont know whats going on with jimths08, sent him pics about a week ago but hes never posted them.

siestakey
09-19-2005, 08:27 PM
Where are you building this, like what state? j.w

coasterking11
09-19-2005, 10:13 PM
new jersey

coasterking11
09-21-2005, 03:38 PM
Anyone else wanna host the pics jimth08 hasnt posted them and its been adleast a week.

siestakey
09-21-2005, 06:29 PM
I will for you. Just they will go as attachments, which isn't much different if that's ok with you.

DSB
09-22-2005, 07:13 AM
Very nice terrain use on those turns and drops.

Ryan F
09-22-2005, 02:41 PM
Great work, I love the turn around the tree in the 2nd and last pic. I can't wait to see when it's done.
I don't know if it's been asked before, but is there a chain lift anywhere on the ride?

siestakey
09-22-2005, 09:20 PM
Here you go, some pics: (its coming along great)

Martin
09-22-2005, 09:23 PM
Yeah, I don't read codes like that. I think you had a minor error while uploading. ;)

EDIT: Nevermind you edited them at the same minute that I posted this. Good work coasterking. It is coming along nicely.

siestakey
09-22-2005, 09:24 PM
Yeah, I don't read codes like that. I think you had a minor error while uploading. ;)
yeah, sorry, I fixed it though

magnumxl2005
09-22-2005, 09:57 PM
Are you getting any media attention from this?

coasterdude28
09-22-2005, 10:30 PM
Probably not yet, but possibly in the future. Looks good.

Marcus
09-23-2005, 01:38 AM
Im building a coaster in my back yard past the grass and the fence and into my woods the land slopes 30 feet pretty steap down . . .

True story, this has already happened before and Ta2KX is lucky to still have his right arm. Just back out before you start making angular drops.

coasterking11
09-23-2005, 03:34 PM
whos ta2kx? And also about media attention, do you get paid like if they interview you?

Also what ever happend to the other guy trying to build a coaster on this thread?

DSB
09-23-2005, 05:26 PM
Nice pics, but the supports farther from the camera in pic 3 look a little weak.

Ta2KX
09-25-2005, 04:58 PM
Who is Ta2KX?? Who the *#&$ are you, kid? Look, now take it from someone who has ridden a variety of homemade conTRAPtions, someone who can genuinely say that the Blue Flash is about the best/safest you can find and actually ride -- building a rideable coaster of your own is just about impossible if you're just an ambitious 13 yr old with no real world engineering experience. We wait around on these boards for the next Willski to arise and proclaim the divine resurrection of the homemade rollercoaster. And many times, we just laugh and roll our eyes in dismay, but for the love of Larry Bill, I ask you just let this sleeping dog lay. Heed my word, quit while your ahead, just go back to playing HALO. I tested out a coaster of sort in Ashland, VA, a product of a member on these boards. its basically a ravine with varying widths of plywood layed out like a sick one-way race track. The coaster car is a friggin' chopped Radio Flyer that you gotta steer. Oh, and for safety concerns, there are 2x4's fixed to the center of the plywood that "keep the wheels from sliding off". Yeah, I ate a whole load of tree trunk that day.

So, to spare the world from THIS (http://www.thrillnetwork.com/boards/attachment.php?attachmentid=10527), again, just put down the roller skates and extension ladders, and go to a certified Amusement Park.

Tanks4me05
09-25-2005, 06:08 PM
Hey, just out of curiosity siestakey, do you have a name for this yet?

Emann
09-25-2005, 06:45 PM
I think you should ask Coasterking11 for the name because hes making it.

coasterking11
09-25-2005, 09:46 PM
Who is Ta2KX?? Who the *#&$ are you, kid? Look, now take it from someone who has ridden a variety of homemade conTRAPtions, someone who can genuinely say that the Blue Flash is about the best/safest you can find and actually ride -- building a rideable coaster of your own is just about impossible if you're just an ambitious 13 yr old with no real world engineering experience. We wait around on these boards for the next Willski to arise and proclaim the divine resurrection of the homemade rollercoaster. And many times, we just laugh and roll our eyes in dismay, but for the love of Larry Bill, I ask you just let this sleeping dog lay. Heed my word, quit while your ahead, just go back to playing HALO. I tested out a coaster of sort in Ashland, VA, a product of a member on these boards. its basically a ravine with varying widths of plywood layed out like a sick one-way race track. The coaster car is a friggin' chopped Radio Flyer that you gotta steer. Oh, and for safety concerns, there are 2x4's fixed to the center of the plywood that "keep the wheels from sliding off". Yeah, I ate a whole load of tree trunk that day.

So, to spare the world from THIS (http://www.thrillnetwork.com/boards/attachment.php?attachmentid=10527), again, just put down the roller skates (http:///#) and extension ladders, and go to a certified Amusement Park (http:///#).

Since your such a sceasoned rider of homade contraptions why dont you try to tell me what not to do insted of just tell me I cant do it. And also I also want to see some more pics of all these contraptions you ride. And also im 14, my cousin is an engineer, and im pretty skilled with working with wood which is basicly in my blood, and ive been taking woodshop in school. Another thing i barly ever play Halo, I dont know were you pulled that from. And lastly why would you go out of your way to test these homade contraptions when the person could test them with sand bags insted. You dont know me, or anything about me, so stop pretending like you do. and you obviously dont know how to put me down.

So keep telling me about the homade contraptions you've been on and how mine will fail. It will bost my topics number of views. :rolleyes:

P.S. the coasters name is Friskys Revenge for my cat whos name was Frisky, he is buried near the station which is the theme of the ride (which will be painted black for that what color Frisky was, and probobly still is). So I really didnt have think to much about the name or the theme.

DSB
09-26-2005, 05:39 PM
If you draw attention to your coaster, won't someone realize you don't have a permit? Also sandbags can't steer, but I stil wouldn't have gone on that if I was supposed to steer it... Soon someone is gonna make raised planks of wood instead of tracks that you ride a bike on.

Chip
09-26-2005, 05:53 PM
P.S. the coasters name is Friskys Revenge for my cat whos name was Frisky, he is buried near the station which is the theme of the ride (which will be painted black for that what color Frisky was, and probobly still is). So I really didnt have think to much about the name or the theme.That's kind of creepy.

coasterking11
09-26-2005, 07:07 PM
That's kind of creepy.

True but he'll be the only cat in the world with him own roller coaster.
And that also gives me a lot to work with in the theme department.
And Halloweens with be the coooolest.

siestakey
09-29-2005, 06:58 PM
Here ya go. First 5 pics for this update (3 more in a couple seconds)

siestakey
09-29-2005, 07:00 PM
Well, I think this is comin' great.
More pics:

willski2002
09-29-2005, 09:39 PM
OMGz, this isn't heartlined! It can't be an Intamin or GCII!!1!~1!!!

Actually, I see some hints of heartlining, so this can be a CCI.

Ta2KX, man, why the hatin ;)? The Oconee Cyclone still has the world's steepest wooden coaster drop at 80+ degrees, El Toro only has a pathetic 76 degrees.

siestakey
09-29-2005, 09:52 PM
Where do you see heartline? (not saying that there isn't I just thought heartlines were barrel rolls.)

rlrcstrfreak
09-29-2005, 10:19 PM
I wish that i could build a coaster in my backyard! thats hecka wicked.

willski2002
09-30-2005, 08:13 PM
Where do you see heartline? (not saying that there isn't I just thought heartlines were barrel rolls.)

Heartlining does not mean a barrel roll, though every barrel roll (except maybe Vekoma) is heartlined.

Heartlining involves rotating the track around the train to minimize lateral forces on the rider. Take a piece of paper and a sharp pencil. The paper is the track and the pencil is the heartline. Now, stick the pencil in the center of the paper and rotate the paper around the pencil. See how the track (paper) moves, while the heartline (pencil) does not?

Now, take the pencil and stick it in one of the corners of the paper. Now rotate the paper around the center of the paper. Notice how much the heartline (pencil) moves around while the track (paper) stays stationary? This is bad, it is not heartlined. So, a heartlined coaster has minimal lateral g-forces.

Heartlined coasters:

All Intamins
All B&Ms
All GCIIs
New Arrows
New Vekomas
Some Schwartzkopfs

Non-heartlined coasters:

Most woodies
Some Scwartzkopfs
Old Vekomas and Arrows

coasterking11
09-30-2005, 08:24 PM
Someone tell me what they like or dont like.

Emann
09-30-2005, 11:28 PM
I think it looks great in the pictures. When do you expect on putting the track down?

coasterking11
10-03-2005, 03:13 PM
Any questions or sugestions or anything, for over 9,000 views no one seems to say much.

coasterdude28
10-03-2005, 03:29 PM
I think the pictures look great. I like the drop down the hill. Keep up the good work and keep us updated.

leatherface9525
10-05-2005, 02:52 AM
oh my god! it looks great. I cannot wait to see how this looks when its finished!!!

Worm
10-05-2005, 11:30 AM
COOL!!! Thats gonna be so cool! What are you going to call it? Homerun...

( as in your home )

leatherface9525
10-05-2005, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by coasterking11
P.S. the coasters name is Friskys Revenge for my cat whos name was Frisky, he is buried near the station which is the theme of the ride (which will be painted black for that what color Frisky was, and probobly still is). So I really didnt have think to much about the name or the theme.

I believe your answer lies there.

Worm
10-05-2005, 02:13 PM
^ thanx, i was too lazy to read through ALL the replies to find that!

leatherface9525
10-05-2005, 05:07 PM
No problem. I had alot of free time to read all 16 pages.

siestakey
10-05-2005, 06:28 PM
Here you go:

siestakey
10-05-2005, 06:30 PM
There will be more after this too.

siestakey
10-05-2005, 06:31 PM
Here they are:

coasterdude28
10-05-2005, 06:33 PM
Are those rails I see? Looks like you are making great progress. Keep us updated.

coasterking11
10-05-2005, 07:33 PM
those arnt the rails if the were the car would snap them as soon as they went over them Those are so I can see the incline of the bunny hills and make sure they like i want them (first one floater, second one ejector with a slight double drop).

leatherface9525
10-06-2005, 03:01 AM
wow I cant believe how cool this thing looks! Very Very nice job!

One questiong though... Do you know what your going to make the car out of?

RllrCoasterFan
10-06-2005, 02:44 PM
Wow! Aren't you building the coaster at your school too and now also at your home? And not just a K'Nex one but an actually scale coaster that is awesome dude. I wish I had the room and time and ambition (lol) to do that. So you are actually going to be able to ride this one...thats cool. Update with more pics when you can.

Edit: Never mind, I think you were just uploading the pics, siestakey, right? Man but if you were that would be a huge two projects to take on.

siestakey
10-06-2005, 06:06 PM
Yeah, I just upload pics lol. Time for an announcement, because RllrCoasterFan, your not the only who thought that.
-----!!!!!!ATTENTION!!!!!-----
This is coasterking11's project, not mine. I just upload pics and help him out. This is NOT my project. But yes, the K'Nex one IS.

coasterfreak14
10-06-2005, 10:15 PM
Costerking you are doing some incredible progress. I commend you for continuing in this even though there were so many sceptics in the bigining! Kudos to you! And it looks awesome! Keep up the good work!

HAJiME
10-07-2005, 07:01 AM
Must be amazing to have the money to even consdier a project like this. To have the space, time and funding to keep it going.......

coasterking11
10-07-2005, 03:24 PM
Ive only spent about 150 dollars so far.

Emann
10-07-2005, 03:32 PM
I had a question before but I dont think you noticed it. When do you expect to finish this coaster?

coasterking11
10-07-2005, 06:14 PM
Im planing to open it some time in either june or early july.

leatherface9525
10-08-2005, 08:37 PM
sounds like a good date to me

siestakey
10-08-2005, 10:28 PM
Yeah, you've been coming along good so, keep it up and that should happen!

coasterking11
10-09-2005, 04:02 PM
It has poured the last two days and it will take time to dry and get all the dirt out of the cinderblocks (i have to do that everytime it rains) I also still have to make my second drainage canal, Water can get up to a foot deep in some spots when it pours.

siestakey
10-09-2005, 07:58 PM
Yeah, its been pretty cr*ppy the last two days here.

coasterking11
10-14-2005, 04:51 PM
sorry about the lack of updates it has rained 7 days striaght, yes 7 days of pouring rain. Plus my dads camera broke so there goes updates for about another week untill it is repaired. But aldeast you can look forward to a big update. Also in the winter i might have like a Friskeys Revenge Logo contest or somthing cool like that.

coasterfreak14
10-20-2005, 10:31 PM
I think it's awesome that someone my own age is doing this. You asked for some suggestions, so here I am to give some. Like that one dude who I forget what his username is said, your supports in some areas look kinda weak. I'd suggest that in the areas that will have the most posotive Gs to make the supports more adequate. But otherwise this is looking totally awesome! Keep up the great work!

leatherface9525
10-21-2005, 09:58 AM
Any new updates? its been a few days now...

go_me
10-22-2005, 11:07 PM
Next time use the edit feature at the bottom of your post instead of double posting.

Progress seems to be going well.

What's so bad about double posting?

coasterdude28
10-22-2005, 11:17 PM
It clutters up the page and whatnot. It is also againt the TOS of the site. It is ok if the two posts are far apart, like a day or two.