PDA

View Full Version : speed vs. height

Nightmare500
06-16-2005, 10:15 PM
what trips your tigger more, speed or height?

geoking66
06-16-2005, 10:17 PM
I love both. A good roller coaster has a good combination of speed and height.

jimths08
06-16-2005, 10:18 PM
Well, IMO, speed. If its height I wanted, I'd ride the observation tower. Usually you see speed and height go hand in hand but If I had to choose a coaster that went 100mph but didn't go over 150', I'd take it. Better pacing for me!

coasterdude28
06-16-2005, 10:20 PM
I like speed better. Theres nothing like the felling of going 100 plus MPH.

SFSTLboi
06-16-2005, 10:50 PM
Speed!!! A nice fast breeze helps on very hot summer days.

DisGardeVersal
06-16-2005, 11:01 PM
I'll take one of each please.

Maxamillious
06-16-2005, 11:26 PM
But, Speed is only a true thrill when your vishion become blury.:sick:

- Max

coasterlove
06-17-2005, 12:27 AM
It's hard to totally think of them seperately since with great height comes high speeds and vice versa. The only coaster I know of that is extrememly fast but not exceptionally tall is Dodonpa and I'll probably never ride that anyway. I like both aspects of height and speed. If I had to choose though, I would probably pick speed over height. It's ultimately the speed through the ride that I love more. Although a huge drop, which can only come from being up high, I love a lot also.

coolstarwasim
06-17-2005, 12:46 AM
well being on a ride that is 400 ft. high but not going fast would be kinda stupid. So I would take speed.

hulkrider04
06-17-2005, 09:10 AM
Speed because Rita would be sweet if it went 100 mph!!!

Dayglower
06-17-2005, 10:34 AM
what trips your tigger more, speed or height?

Not meaning to be annoying, HOWEVER I think that a mixture of both speed and height make a good rollercoaster. Also loops and corkscrews add to the excitement!!

geoking66
06-17-2005, 10:41 AM
Dayglower, what if it's a hyper, giga, stratacoaster where there aren't any loops, corkscrews or other inversions?

AdrenalinexX
06-17-2005, 11:32 AM
I love both. A good roller coaster has a good combination of speed and height.

He's right.But for me I say speed.Words can't describe 128 mph in 3.3 secs.

Kyle L
06-17-2005, 11:57 AM
14 posts and no one brought up the apparent epidemic? What?

People, speed typically=height. And Height typically=speed. Some apparent examples is S:TE. 100 MPH, a coaster only designed to set the records, yet is also 415 ft. tall. Kingda Ka, Top Thrill Dragster, and the like all go extremeley fast, and go pretty high as well. And for traditional coasters, Millennium Force and Steel Dragon 2000 all pull a hefty 90 plus.

For me, height does it all. Speed is a great feeling, but essentially its something you CAN do everyday, but there are certainly risks. I could easily take my dads car out today, go on Highway 37 (Deserted highway) and go 120 MPH, and stick my head out the window. There's my speed. Illegal? Yep. But you still can do it. Some people say you can just ride up a observation tower to get the height feeling, its not the same. Theres glass to protect you, and if you're in a open air tall building, there will always be a protection barrier.

Height is the clear winner. Being on top of the top hat on Top Thrill Dragster is something I will remember for the rest of my life. You can go up high buildings, but being in a seat, strapped in with a LAP BAR (Kingda Ka with OSTR's is garbage) is truley thrilling. Both are exeptionally thrlling, but height is something you will remember on your rides. (Cresting Millennium Force, Top Hat on Dragster and Kinga Ka, and for the lucky...drifting slowly on top of Steel Dragon 2000)

coasterlove
06-19-2005, 12:46 PM
14 posts and no one brought up the apparent epidemic? What?

People, speed typically=height. And Height typically=speed.

I did.

It's hard to totally think of them seperately since with great height comes high speeds and vice versa.

And Kyle, I agree with what you're saying.

Coastr Crazy 72
06-19-2005, 05:39 PM
I agree completely with Kyle. I was actually going to bring up that exact point, the one where you can go those speeds everyday if you want. Well actually for the most part I do. I drive on the highway a lot and I have a radar detector so my average speed is usually 80mph, sometimes I'll go over 100.

Height is definitly the winner for me. I love heights. I love knowing that i'm so far off the ground and the only thing holding me up is a chair attached to a train and bunch of metal supports. Its a great feeling. But it is hard to imagine height without speed. I think the only roller coaster I can think of that has tremendous height with almost no speed is the stratashpere coaster.

RLLrCoastrLover
06-20-2005, 10:39 AM
I love being 420 feet off the ground, but going 120 mph is more exciting for me.

moore
06-20-2005, 03:42 PM
Give me heighth please!

Bencerisback
06-20-2005, 03:53 PM
height makes a ride scarier to me than speed, and scary makes it more fun, so ill take height - but height plus speed is better

Wes
06-20-2005, 04:38 PM
If I had to pick, I'd say height.

Speed isn't something that really does much for me. I generally don't like anything much over 70mph, because then you've got the wind in the eyes factor and bugs and stuff become projectiles. lol