PDA

View Full Version : Borg Assimilator Makes the Top Ten!1!?!1!

Wes
06-30-2005, 08:09 AM
The List strikes again!

This comes from the Paramount's Carowinds newsletter sent yesterday.

They had an article stating the following:

BORG Assimilator was recently recognized by America Online’s Digital CityGuide as one of the top ten theme park thrills in the U.S.

BORG was given the title as the South’s Loopiest Coaster. The review said BORG has “more inversions than any in the South, including a 68-foot vertical loop and a 115-foot horseshoe inversion.”

In all, you go through eight stomach-dropping inversions as you fly below the track at 51 mph. The ride includes more than half a mile of track, but lasts just 2 minutes, 47 seconds. BORG is the tallest coaster at Carowinds, the only flying coaster in the Carolinas, and it’s the first in the world to carry a Star Trek theme.

Read the full AOL CityGuide article here or type in the AOL Keyword: Theme Park Thrills.
Here's the direct link to the AOL list.

http://aolsvc.digitalcity.com/newyork/cityattractions/?page=toptenthemeparkthrills&photo=9

I'm sorry, but this is the 2nd time in recent history that Carowinds has been called "best in the country" for something (there's a list that was done by msnbc.com I believe that said Carowinds was one of the Top 10 parks in the country). I'm not here to berate (sp?) the park and put it down, but I would hardly call Borg a top 10 attraction in the country.

Unfortuantley like the ads for the coaster last year, it's a little deceptive saying that the coaster has 8 inversions when it really only has about 5 if you count each flipover as a half inversion like you should.

Oh well, I'm glad that the park is getting recognized, it just seems like it's always something for the CP fanboys to make fun of when it does happen. lol

And don't take this the wrong way, I love Borg and I'm glad it went to my home park and not another Paramount park. I just wouldn't rank it up there with Kingda Ka and TTD.

Carowinds 73-03
06-30-2005, 08:17 AM
Man this list just keeps poping up. I also noticed it in the newsletter. You can only hear something a few times before you start believeing it.

Leo C
06-30-2005, 09:17 AM
Borg in the Top 10? HA Here we go again with the 8 inversion testimonials. We coaster folk mostly know it's about 3 traditional inversions.

Emann
06-30-2005, 09:21 AM
Wheres Millenium Force!?!?

Pcw
06-30-2005, 10:10 AM
It's 'cause Millenium Force doesn't currently have a record...at least one that I don't know of...

willski2002
06-30-2005, 10:34 AM
Wow, that is stupid. How can Carowinds get away with saying that Borg has 8 inversions when PGA said it had 5?

Is this the inversion order (the way Carowinds sees it)?

Lie to Fly
Horseshoe (only 110 degrees of banking, so it's not inverted)
Fly to Lie
Loop
Lie to Fly
Fly to Lie
Corkscrew
Corkscrew

Wes
06-30-2005, 11:02 AM
^^ Yes. That's how they list it, so they consider each half-turn an inversion.

And they consider the horseshoe an inversion too. I'd call it an element, not an inversion because you don't go upside down. It's kind of like an overbanked turn.

coasterlove
06-30-2005, 01:56 PM
That's funny. I don't consider half of that stuff inversions at all. It's even the same with the Superman:Ultimate Flights at the SF parks. They consider the twist at the end an inversion. The only thing I consider an inversion is when you are actually upside down with your head going under your feet. I'd almost consider the drop more of an inversion that a twist but that's just me. Is that actually true about Borg being their tallest coaster? That's kind of sad that a 115 foot coaster would be a major park's tallest coaster.

At Cedar Point, it would rank 9th I believe and at my homepark SFGAm, it would rank 5th. It's just funny.

Pcw
06-30-2005, 01:58 PM
Good thing PCW isn't a major park 'cause then you'd be laughing at the highest coaster in the park....

Wes
06-30-2005, 01:58 PM
^^ Yep. It's the tallest in the park.

Although Top Gun looks much taller because it sits on a hill (the lift).

So I guess in some ways TG is taller, but track wise Borg is taller.

Yeah you can see why we've been wanting a hyper forever :rolleyes::sadface:

Kyle L
06-30-2005, 02:07 PM
I like how BORG slips into some rather rediculous list, while Stealth at PGA got mediocre public reply.......

Anyway, AOL, MSN, CNN etc. always produce rediculous lists. They basically produce list of favorites proabobly based on some stupid poll they generate, and gets bogus results. If Carrowinds quotes this list, they're just as bad....

Blink182
06-30-2005, 04:38 PM
I dont like this list at all. They would rather list Scream (SFMM) rather then Medusa (Sfgadv) When Scream is an exact clone of Medusa and when Medusa was the FIRST floorless coaster. I dont know update the list. Take out TTD for Kingda Ka the current tallest and fastest and also take Scream out for Medusa.

But everyone in there seems to have a record BUT Scream. If they want it to be all records take Scream out and put Medusa.

EDIT: About the KK and TTD topic if you click on TTD it is no longer TTD it has been changed to KK.

bk2004
06-30-2005, 05:32 PM
Well, that list isn't really anything official from like NAPPA or anything like that. So it just kinda names random coasters.

But hey, its good press for the park.

coasterdave
06-30-2005, 08:33 PM
Seems like every year this lists gets people in an uproar. It is just the park trying to MARKET the ride and the park to the GP, not us coaster nerds. Let's recall that the average parkgoing going to Carowinds will not know anything about some coaster in Ohio or Cali.

ragan
06-30-2005, 08:54 PM
what website is that 'offical' list on, isnt it like on ACE or something like that?

slnewbus
06-30-2005, 09:01 PM
They ranked CP #8 and Magic Mountain #1. That thing is not reliable at all. Don't take those top 10 things on there seriously.

Carowinds 73-03
06-30-2005, 09:08 PM
No, It was a MSNBC or some AOL list.

coasterlove
06-30-2005, 10:14 PM
Something else I think is stupid. It bothers me that Stealth was the first flying coaster ever and Paramount just decided to take it out and ship it over to another Paramount park. At least Six Flags had the decency ;) to get clones of Batman rather than get rid of a historical ride.

Carowinds 73-03
06-30-2005, 10:19 PM
I'm just a little upset that carowinds does not reconize the coaster as the world first flyer. They could atleast put some type of sign.

WildMouse
06-30-2005, 10:44 PM
So I guess in some ways TG is taller, but track wise Borg is taller.

Actually, Top Gun is the "highest" coaster and Borg is the "tallest".
;)

Top Gun also has the deepest drop of 125'. Like one of the posters said, it's all marketing hype for the clueless.

We enthusiasts know better.

Leo C
06-30-2005, 11:10 PM
Does it take an ACE sign to say it's the first flyer? I wonder what Aol were smoking when they came up with this list. Whoever listed BORG at 8 inversions; did they do Six Flags' marketing when they opened Batwing and X-Flight? I thought I remember 8 inversions being thrown around those rides as well. They can't fool me.

Aaron
07-01-2005, 02:56 AM
I think this is yet more proof of how seriously messed up AOL is.
Like all these mainstream media lists, this one's got problems. They recognized Kingda Ka, which I suppose was something, but what's so great about Scream being "the first floorless in So-Cal"? Not that Scream isn't a very good ride, but the fact that it's the first of it's type in the southern half of the state shouldn't really matter much.

Wes
07-01-2005, 07:34 AM
I'm just a little upset that carowinds does not reconize the coaster as the world first flyer. They could atleast put some type of sign.

That's a good idea! I think since ACE just recognized the first B:TR, Borg should be recoginzed as the first flyer.

Although flyers have not been as successful as all the inverts were.

And have something about it being called Stealth originally (I liked that name a lot too). But I like the whole Borg theme too.

Something else I think is stupid. It bothers me that Stealth was the first flying coaster ever and Paramount just decided to take it out and ship it over to another Paramount park. At least Six Flags had the decency ;) to get clones of Batman rather than get rid of a historical ride.

But they removed it to make way for a water park!!!1!!!11!!! How can you argue with that logic? :rolleyes:

ride6
07-01-2005, 11:45 AM
It's 'cause Millenium Force doesn't currently have a record...at least one that I don't know of...

What nonsense. Steel Dragon 2000 is down, TTD is often down and KK is almost always down. Millennium Force remains the tallest and fastest reliable ride on the planet. :D

I looked over the rest of the list too, most of the stuff on there is rather stupid to call a "top ten thrill". The country's largests ferris wheel, now there's a rush. :rolleyes:

please...

ride6