PDA

View Full Version : Best woodie

magnum_man1989
08-02-2005, 02:58 AM
I would have to go with the Beast. The trims really take from the ride but It's still my fav woodie.

Riddler156
08-02-2005, 03:10 AM
Beast: Simply because it is one of the wildest coasters I have ever been on.

coasterfreak14
08-02-2005, 04:26 AM
Texas Giant all the way. I've seen a video of Beast and it just doesn't seem as great as everyone says it is. Especially all the parts where you're going straight and that's about it. Texas Giant is full of airtime, especially the finale. That is the most awesome coaster finale ever. It just totally finishes the ride to near perfection.

Carowinds 73-03
08-02-2005, 05:28 AM
One word: Beast. I might change that once i visit Holiday World for Reven & Legend or ride Hades. Well see what next year brings but since 1999 it's been The Beast.

Chris L
08-02-2005, 05:35 AM
For me, its GhostRider - a ride that proves that immense size on a wood coaster doesn't mean anything, although it is considered one of the larger wood coasters in the world. So incredible the way it provides seemingly endless airtime, powerful lateral G's, the illusion of constant acceleration (never letting up), numerous incredible headchopper effects, and finished off with lavish queue theming and a unique theme and story to back it up.

cannonballer
08-02-2005, 05:47 AM
Best modern woodie? Thunderhead and Rampage is a close second
Best Classic Woodie? Cannonball of course, DUH!

redunzelizer
08-02-2005, 06:40 AM
For a reasonable choice you should have included Balder and Colossos as well as Thundercoaster also. You might actually not believe it, but i've heard of curious rumors saying there was also a world outside the US...
;)

redunzelizer

Thunderhawk
08-02-2005, 08:00 AM
I'll go with The Beast, for having the most mind boggling night rides.

steel
08-02-2005, 08:44 AM
Avalanche. Loads of air and insane speed all the way.

ThunderDan
08-02-2005, 09:18 AM
Hades. Villain, Jack Rabbit, Viper, Phoenix, Roar and Great White are also top coasters.

dcs221
08-02-2005, 09:30 AM
I think Hades, Avalanche, Balder, Colossos, and Thunderhead are the top wooden coasters. Ofcourse, I haven't ridden any of those. Best woodie I've ridden was Villain, though I'm sure that'll change once I ride SFGAdv's new woodie for next year.

coasterlove
08-02-2005, 09:47 AM
Right now it's Hades. It lived up to the hype and was just awesome. The only things I'd complain about is the one train operation and I wouldn't have minded if it was just a few more seconds longer. Maybe 8-10 seconds more and just a couple of wild bunny hills to finish it off.

Viper at SFGAm was my favorite until Hades. It has some great ejector air that is also comfortable. It's just perfect as far as being a little out of control but not at all rough.

Some others I know will be up there when I ride them. Shivering Timbers, Ghostrider and Thunderhead. I think The Voyage will steal the top spot when it's finished and I get to ride it.

PANTSFREE
08-02-2005, 12:48 PM
Right now im torn between 3 not listed, Wild One @ SFA (this season its really been giving fantastic rides and theres no line so you can enjoy the ejector air over and over and over...

Grizzly @ PKD, just a funtastic ride. Although the seat belts added a couple season back still piss me off, the airtime in the back/front is great. Gotta love the tunnel.

And Hurricane Category 5 @ MBP: I haven't been on this ride in a few years, but from the two rides I had I came away feeling exceptionally satisifed. Although the gerslaughter trains hurt, the ride was a blast.

Roar @ SFA gets an honorable mention.

RaptorXLC
08-02-2005, 02:52 PM
I've gotta go with Beast. It gives the most amazing night rides I've ever exerienced. A very close second is Ghostrider. When I first rode it, I knew it was gonna be good, and I was afraid that I had hyped it up in my head too much, and I'd be dissapointed. As it turns out, it was even better then I thought it'd be. Hopefully next summer I'll get out to HW and Beech Bend, so possibly the new BB coaster, Legend, Raven, or Voyage, might creep up to my top spot.

sfft_2108
08-02-2005, 03:18 PM
I think Hades, Avalanche, Balder, Colossos, and Thunderhead are the top wooden coasters.
I like all the same coasters as you do. Hades is the best out of all of them.

DejaVu4Life
08-02-2005, 08:29 PM
I don;t rwally like woodies....but probably Roar

rawbert_thrillz
08-02-2005, 08:31 PM
ghost rider mind you that i abseloutly HATE! woodies but ghostrider is in my top 5 of steel/woody.

BSBMX
08-02-2005, 09:25 PM
What about Thunder Run at SFKK? I voted for Legend, but Thunder Run is pretty good as well.

magicpowers
08-02-2005, 09:49 PM
I absolutely love The Phoenix. It's a classic. It's just the right speed and the air time at the end is great. It isn't the fastest and most exhilerating, but it is one of the most enjoyable for me.

NITROS AIRTIME
08-02-2005, 10:03 PM
Hades all the way. No wooden beats it. Its amazing.

B_And_M_Boy
08-02-2005, 10:11 PM
Gwazi Tiger, Lion Sucks

Cephas
08-02-2005, 10:56 PM
^True Dat!

I vote Ghostrider. Best I've been on.

harlock_jds
08-04-2005, 11:06 AM
Thunderhead mainly because it's more comfortable to ride than the beast.

I'm not a woodie fan but thunderhead ranks as my #2 coaster while beast ranks as my #10

tntornadox
08-04-2005, 11:21 AM
My vote is for Thunderhead at Dollywood. Has everything you could possibly want in a woody, and then some.

Coaster Mike
08-04-2005, 11:26 AM
Out of all the Woodies I have been on(which isn't much), I would say the Boss.

willski2002
08-04-2005, 11:40 AM
How can you not like wooden roller coasters? It puzzles me, but then again, I love wooden coasters.

My number 1 is Shivering Timbers, with Gwazi (overall) in a distant second.

slnewbus
08-04-2005, 12:06 PM
Phoenix is my number one, with Wildcat (Hershey) as number 2.

harlock_jds
08-04-2005, 01:24 PM
How can you not like wooden roller coasters?

most give me a splitting headace after i ride them, that's just about the only reasion for me.

p.s Gwazi would rank as my 3'rd fav woodie but it's not in my overall top 10

siestakey
08-04-2005, 01:37 PM
What about Rolling Thunder, SFGA, Thunderhawk, Dorney Park, etc. etc.

magnum_man1989
08-04-2005, 01:49 PM
You acutally like Thunderhawk? I was going to put it on the list but I though nobody other than me liked it.

Jimmy B
08-04-2005, 01:52 PM
My vote belongs to the Texas Giant at Six Flags over Texas; a wooden coaster complete with size, speed, airtime, and laterals. It has some breathtaking drops, a great double-helix, but most of all, that spectacular "magic carpet" ending.

I also like the Great American Scream Machine in Georgia, a classic coaster with great floater air and very smooth.

I generally like out-and-backs more, which is why I am looking forward to Ghostrider, Shivering Timbers, and now the Voyage if I get the chance to ride them in the future.

harryman
08-06-2005, 03:13 AM
Son of beast is huge, it has a loop, and it reaches blazin speeds i dont know why its not up there

Chris L
08-06-2005, 05:19 AM
/\ That's the reason it's not up there, you just gave it away. Wooden coasters were not meant to go higher than 200 feet or faster than 70 miles per hour, or do inversions. And I say that because that ride has gotten horrible reviews over and over and I don't think it's a mistake to say that Kings Island opened a bomb of a ride that was expected to blow people away.

Thunderhawk
08-07-2005, 12:09 PM
The reason Son of Beast is not up there is that it's one of the worst wooden coasters ever. If they fix the jackhammering, then it would have a shot for "best".

willski2002
08-07-2005, 12:25 PM
Everyone is forgetting the king of airtime, Shivering Timbers. It blows every other coaster, including Thunderhead and Beast, out of the water with it's awesome air and massive laterals in the ending helix. The only coaster that could be better is Hades, so I won't judge that, but ST rocks.

James
08-08-2005, 12:47 AM
Raven - Ewww... Raven
Legend - I love Legend...
Shivering Timbers - :-\ I didnt really like timbers...
Wildcat - What one?
Cyclone(Astroland) - EWWWWWWWW Cyclone sucks....
Boulder Dash - Best woodie ever!
Lightning Racer - I didnt really like it that much...
Thunderbolt 0 What one.......
Phoenix - I would say #4
Viper - I would say #3 of this list...
Giant Dipper - What one?!
Beast - WTF! Beast sucks sooooooooooo much I cant see why ANYONE would like it.. YAY FLAT TRACK WITH 15,000 TRIMS!!!!!
BlueStreak - what one?
Mean Streak - I bet not one person votes for this........
Hades - I would rate this as #2
Roar - Only been on SFAs.. It was ok I guess..
Jack Rabbit - What one?
Villain - Was an Ok ride but not the best...

JamminJ
08-08-2005, 01:23 AM
I haven't ridden Texas Giant, Colossus, Ghost Rider, Giant Dipper, "Megaphobia", Great White so I won't judge those until I ride them..

I will start with Beast.

1. THE BEAST SUCKS! You shouldn't base a ride on it's 'nostalga' factor.. you should base it on what it is today. I'm sure in it's hey day it was one crazy ride, and heck up untill about 2003 it was my favorite woodie. But the rediculous amounts of trims and unesscessary flat track, make it nothing more than a glorified mine train, and hell, I'm sure Adventure Express would take offense to that.

2. CI Cyclone - CYCLONE SUCKS! See #1. The airtime is insane, but it's not worth the bruising your body takes.. I want my 5 bucks back..

3. Thunderbolt and Jack Rabbit (presumablely at Kennywood?) - While both are really 'fun' rides, neither are overly fantastic, and certainly not worthy of 'best in the world' honors. Again, shouldn't base a ride purely on nostalgia.

4. Blue Streak - See #3.
5. Mean Streak - Are you kidding me?
6. Roar - SFA's version used to be nice.. could use some retracking and M. Flyers.. Wild One pwns that park now

7. Wildcat - Lake Compounces wasn't too good, Hershey's was good but not great, Wolverine Wildcat could use some work, and Ozark Wildcat is awesome..

8. Viper - The best of the "Cy-clones" but thats not saying much when you base a ride off a ****ty design like Cyclone.. why couldn't people have copied Comet or Phoenix..

9. Lightning Racer - A really really FUN ride, but doesn't produce any type of forces.. kind of reminded me of a B&M..

10. Shivering Timbers - I really wanted to like it. Hell, I really wanted to love it, I wanted it to be my favorite coaster on the the planet it and ride it 4 billion times. But this puppy just did not produce the day I was there and it was as tame as Zach's Zoomer across the park. A victim of Cedar Fair..

11. Raven - Everything I expected.. the new train wasn't quite broken in yet and it was the middle of the day so it obviously wasn't 'the best ever.' I thought it was a bit on the short side as well..

12. Villain - I loved it in 2003, G-trains and all.. I heard it has become another victim of Cedar Fair though..

13. Boulder Dash - Absolutely rediculous ride, has it all. Airtime, terrain, speed, length.. might of been my favorite had I the chance to ride it at night.

14. Legend - man this ride was kicking ass and taking names.. in the middle of the day no less..

15. Hades - Other than the drop and tunnel, there isn't much to it, but man that tunnel.. oh my.. that tunnel...

16. Phoenix - The most airtime this side of Europe, awesome ride.

17. Thunderhead - My favorite coaster, thats all you got to know. Until next year at least..

Question... Where are Cornball Express, Avalanche, J2, Comet, Tremors, Wild One, Cyclops...

magnum_man1989
08-08-2005, 02:08 AM
I picked most of these from the top 25 wooden list. If these were on the list, prehaps I forgot them.

Coasterman 20
03-15-2006, 01:51 AM
lightning racer I think is the best wooden coaster.

Wes
03-15-2006, 11:02 AM
Thunderhead is the best I've been on.

Let the thunder roll!

Legend is a close 2nd.

Tanks4me05
03-15-2006, 03:12 PM
Predator: a very fun ride when I first rode it back in 2002. A lot of airtime on the bunny hops, but then it's airtime lessened and got more painful, but nowhere near unbearable.

Comet - Hersheypark: Rough, but not unbearable. Probably one of the best old woodies I've been on. (I count old as in made in 1950 or earlier) A lot of good airtime, some nice laterals, and although the line fills up rather quickly, it is a great ride every time.

Wildcat: A good layout, and it would have been so great if it didn't hurt like crazy.

Cyclone - Astroland: Although it is a fun ride, it ties with HP Wildcat as the most painful coasters I went on so far. No airtime.

Jack Rabbit - Seabreeze: One of the most classic old woodies i went on. A relatively smooth ride, and a... well... it just retains Seabreeze's small park feel. It's amazing how smooth that thing is despite it's the fourth oldest coaster in the world.

Mean Streak: Like Wildcat and Cyclone. A fun ride, but it hurts like crazy.

Blue Streak - CP: I don't know why, but it never really left an impression on me.

Hercules - I loved it, as it was my first real taste of speed. I loved it for it's raw speed and size, however I didn't experience any pain. (I rode it 3 times in 2003, that's it)

Thunderhawk: Slightly painful, and it had good airtime, but for those STUPID trims at the end, it took away the personal best airtime on a woodie award.

Lightning Racer: Hands down the best woodie I went on so far. Woodies usually have great airtime or a freat layout, but LR has both, and is the only racing and dueling woodie in the world so far. This has been holding my number 1 woodie spot since 2003, the longest #1 holding without being bumped down to #2, wood or steel.

chuck nungester
03-15-2006, 07:30 PM
Funny thing is, AVALANCHE isn't on there!

Chuck

Catch Timbers at Timbersfest. Thats all I have to say about that. WOW! Nothing comes close to Total and Forcefull airtime except a much smaller coaster. Avalanche

Chuck, SFNE S:ROS who?

giraffe326
03-15-2006, 09:10 PM
hmm... which Wildcat? Since it was below Shivering Timers, I assumed Wolverine Wildcat at MiAdv (which would not sway my vote~it made me throw up, and I have always referred to it as the Wolverine, not the Wildcat). I would have still picked "other". I don't like wooden coasters, for the reason above and because of the massive headache I have when leaving them (same reason I don't ride Arrow loopers). I have only ridden 4 from the list (due to avoidance). So, I pick other- that being Zach's Zoomer at MiAdv!! A Jr. coaster, I know, but I can tolerate it! And, in my opinion, it is the best coaster in the park!! (which shows that we DESPERATELY need one)...

VekomahangNbang
03-16-2006, 12:33 AM
Best I've been on is Thunderhead.

Coasterman sure does love bumpin threads, doesn't he.

apsterling
03-16-2006, 01:02 AM
I liked Ghostrider. It was fast, rough, but not excessively rough, and well laid out.

CP Maverick
03-16-2006, 03:36 AM
Which Wildcat is that on your list? Hersheypark?

#1 for me is The Beast .... although, quite a few of those are in my "top" section of rides. :)

ShannonS
03-16-2006, 04:39 PM
I voted for Thunderhead just because its smooth and the MF Trains don't hurt my rear end. But for sentimental reasons,I also love The Grizzly and The Rebel Yell,and also The Wild One. SES

Fantom
03-16-2006, 08:21 PM
I gotta say Cyclone is the best woodie I've been on. Especially in the rain. Its one of those rides I could go on all day without getting bored, and its the only ride my stomach still drops on.

JamMasterJ
03-17-2006, 12:16 PM
Beast is definitely my favorite, even with the trims. I also hold a special place in my heart for PKD's Grizzly, Rebel Yell, and Hurler.

B&M Junkie
03-17-2006, 08:25 PM
Hershey's Lightning Racer gets my vote.

I love DW
10-16-2006, 09:54 PM
Dollywood's Thunderhead get's my vote in the poll. I havn't rode many on the list but it is still my favorite.

steel
10-17-2006, 08:13 AM
I still think Avalanche is the best and should be up there, but I'm going to hold off on my "official" second opinion until I ride Voyage.

Worm
10-17-2006, 11:00 AM
I'm gonna say Hades because i just love the fact that it drops underground and then just opos up in the middle of the parkinglot!

Plus seeing that the voyage wasn't there, hades came second best!

ghost007jas
10-17-2006, 11:14 AM
I had to say GR.
This ride is amazing and I havent got ou there to ride the beast and Voyage and such.

Martin
10-17-2006, 11:23 AM
Of course El Toro wasn't completed at the time of this thread's creation, but it would get my vote of it was an option.

slipknot8527
10-17-2006, 11:33 AM
The Voyage. My number 1 moment on any coaster is now riding Voyage at night, in the very back, on the last train of the day.

Wes
10-17-2006, 11:46 AM
Voyage is #1 for me. ^ My first ride was in the dark. It was a bit scurry!!!

Thunderhead is #2.

I have not been able to ride El Toro (or at least stand in line so it can break down on me). lol

ravenrider
10-17-2006, 12:40 PM
One word Voyage!

Katie
10-17-2006, 01:02 PM
Voyage is my number 1.

Followed closely by Phoenix (ERT conditions), Villain (yes I am nuts), and then Thunderbolt.

Joseph
10-17-2006, 01:38 PM
Mitch's poll is coming up in a few weeks, and I still am not sure what I will place as my #1. I think El Toro may be the best ride I have been on, but at the same time I'd prefer to take a ride on several other woodies (Thunderhead, Cornball, Boulder Dash).

kennywood_racer
10-17-2006, 01:39 PM
Thunderbolt, Boulder Dash, than Lightning Racer.

BTW no Racer on the pole, Whats Up with That?

Bowserjoe
10-17-2006, 02:32 PM
Umm....El Toro? Hmm....not there. Other than Intamin woodies though my favorites are Cyclone (SFNE) and Boulderdash.

Tanks4me05
10-17-2006, 03:25 PM
I am to revise my favorite wooden coaster list... it is now Comet at The Great Escape. There was floater on only about 2 hills, and the rest was complete ejector, and there are very intense lateral G's almost wherever the ride turned. The two main highlights of the ride are:

1: Two hills before the on ride camera. Although there is only one hill at that spot, the trackwork bumps 3 times, but not painfully, it is as if there were 3 hills in that spot while you were traveling over one. I will now call that hill "The Magician's Hill".

2: The second to last bunny hop. When riding in the back, since it also goes to the right at the same time, you get thrown out of your seat and slammed to the side of the car, probably one of the most out of control elements I have ever been on on any coaster, wood or steel.

Also, coupled with the history of this ride, as some of its pieces are directly from the Crystal Beach Cyclone, makes it a truly amazing ride.

PANTSFREE
10-17-2006, 03:44 PM
since this thread was created a little ride called El Toro was built that deffinitely takes the cake for me now.

helix123
10-17-2006, 06:33 PM
Voyage, so much floater air! MMM... Air time!

Martin
10-17-2006, 06:59 PM
I have not been able to ride El Toro (or at least stand in line so it can break down on me). lol
It doesn't break down that often...

What takes so long is the operators having to staple 36 riders, as well as recheck restraints for larger guests.

Umm....El Toro? Hmm....not there.
This poll was created in August of 2005 when El Toro's construction hadn't even started...

Nitro1118
10-17-2006, 09:08 PM
From that list: Boulder Dash, followed by Legend.

My actual top 5 wooden list: El Toro, Voyage, Cornball Express/Boulder Dash, Legend

KY_THRILLBILLY
10-17-2006, 09:37 PM
No other wood coaster can even compare to El Toro, and for that reason, El Toro is the best and my all time favorite.

Leo C
10-17-2006, 10:15 PM
This is a last year thread. No wonder El Toro wasn't mentioned. I pick El Toro of course and I'm sure there's quite a few of us that know the Toro song; "Toro, Toro, Toro, Toro, Toro, Toro"

Joseph
10-17-2006, 10:36 PM
It doesn't break down that often...
that's funny. You know darn well that it has probably the crappiest reliability of a woodie on earth!

Thunderhawk
10-17-2006, 10:55 PM
EL TORO!
Then it would be Beast, Wildcat at Hershey, Lightning Racer, and J2.

Fastdawg07
10-18-2006, 12:19 AM
I haven't ridden ET or Voyage, but Shivering Timbers is the best. Its got tons and tons of nice floater airtime on the first 3 or 4 hills, and then ejector on the last 7 or 8. The speed going into the helix is amazing, and I really don't think CF has anything to do with this coaster. I really think its a great ride. Definitely better than Beast (for shear airtime), although that's a very very very close second.

Martin
10-18-2006, 09:03 AM
that's funny. You know darn well that it has probably the crappiest reliability of a woodie on earth!
Obviously, since it is the only wooden coaster with a cable lift.

From my experiences waiting in line the only problems are stoppages on the lift, which are fixed within 5 - 10 minutes. They don't seem to happen that often, but of course I see what you mean.

Bowserjoe
10-18-2006, 11:30 AM
Oh didn't realize this thread was from 2005, which is why Toro isn't there. My bad!:o