PDA

View Full Version : parking at theme parks

Dalee4lifefan
08-07-2005, 02:00 AM
what would you do to make parking at theme parks better.

James
08-07-2005, 02:07 AM
Make it free... I mean.. If your going to drop $100+ for a family to spend the day at a park.. do you really need to make me pay $10! to park my car?

arrow_forever
08-07-2005, 02:15 AM
I would either make it cheaper or free. They should also hand out parking discounts for future trips.

Brian F
08-07-2005, 03:31 AM
Run a shuttle bus from local hotels/motels to the park. Obviously, it can't go TOO far, and it need not be free. To have a pickup at your lodgings, and get dropped at the front gate would be cool.

But really, it depends on the park- different parks have different layouts, and what worked well at one might not work at another.

Chris L
08-07-2005, 04:11 AM
I think season/annual passholders should get parking for free for the entire season until the pass expires. But I understand that the parks charge for parking because it's an easy profit so that's why they do it.

Carowinds 73-03
08-07-2005, 07:47 AM
I don't think it should be free but it should not be any more than $5.

Some parks like Carowinds need to re-pave badly but anyway i would also ad trams to pick guest up.

Carowinds offers free parking for pass holders if you get your passes early enough.

Leo C
08-07-2005, 08:35 AM
Parking fees are the only real money other Six Flags parks make off me. I have the season parking pass for SFGADV. I don't spend much money at the homepark or in the other parks. I did spend some souvenir money for a plus this year.

James
08-07-2005, 11:08 AM
Oh! thats one more thing... The SF parking pass should work at any SF park.. Like a seasonpass does... I have a SFNE parking pass... Yet I still had to pay GAdv $10 a day for 3 days... (or I could have just got the $30 parking pass............)

coasterlove
08-07-2005, 12:10 PM
A couple points brought up about parking.

I don't mind a park charging for parking as long it doesn't get too bad. If you have a season pass for a park, it's essentially free everytime you want to go there, so it might be the only money a park makes off of you going there. And if it becomes that much of an issue, buy a parking pass.

The other thing is the fact that all the chains let you visit other parks for free with a season pass. So the only price you're paying to get in is the parking. Just the fact that you can get into other parks without having to pay admission is a great deal so let's not make a big deal about having to pay $5-$10 for entering the park.

One last thing, I find it a shame that so many people complain about it. Considering that you get into the parks for free once you have bought a season pass, it's a way for the park to make money. You guys will complain that your park should get another coaster. Well I think you know those big things made of wood and steel cost money and a lot of it. So don't complain if your park doesn't get a new ride if you're going to be a cheapskate and not drop any money at the park other than a season pass.

If everyone that visited parks were like some of the cheap bastards I see on this site, parks wouldn't last very long. I understand not buying pop since it's espensive, I don't either. But when people won't buy one thing to eat at the park ever or even one souvenier once in a while, I guess I find it weird. It wouldn't really hurt that much to buy a cheeseburger or a slice of pizza. So what it might cost you an extra dollar or two. All you tightwads might be the difference in whether your park gets that new coaster in a year or two.

Dukeis#1
08-07-2005, 12:16 PM
I like parking lots with trams. Always nice after you've been walking around all day, and you can just ride a tram back to your car.

At some parks, if you buy a gold pass (or whatever that park refers to it as) you get free parking as well.

You can also buy those parking pass things at some Six Flags parks.

Cuddy
08-07-2005, 03:18 PM
^Cedar Point used to use the tram system in their parking lots. I don't know when it ended, but I do recall them using it.

steel
08-07-2005, 03:22 PM
Run a shuttle bus from local hotels/motels to the park. Obviously, it can't go TOO far, and it need not be free. To have a pickup at your lodgings, and get dropped at the front gate would be cool.

Adventureland does that with Adventureland Inn. It's really handy - just park at the inn and wait for a shuttle to the park.

Montu Man
08-07-2005, 03:41 PM
I think season/annual passholders should get parking for free for the entire season until the pass expires. But I understand that the parks charge for parking because it's an easy profit so that's why they do it.

They have that in Orlando, at all the major parks. It's nice. Too improve parking, WDW should get ride of that enormous lot and build a big garage, then use the land they saved for the park. That would be a bit nicer.

bigbadwolf501
08-07-2005, 04:01 PM
you automatically get free parking w/ a BGW season pass. their parking lots are very well laid out. they have 7 parking lots each named after the different countries in the park, with the exception of the bavaria parking lot. two of the parking lots are right at the main entrance, one of them being the preferred/handicapped parking. all the other parking lots requires you to ride a tram to the main entrance which they run continuously throughout the day one after the other. everything is well organized and they get you in and out fast. their parking lots are also somewhat nicely landscaped and also very clean.

Dukeis#1
08-07-2005, 05:59 PM
I remember when you had to ride a tram to get from BGWs parking lot to the park, because of the way the parking areas were designed. This was before they massively remodeled the lots a few years back. (Prior to when they built the new toll booths and interstate ramp)

Cephas
08-07-2005, 06:29 PM
At carowinds, you can just park at the mall across the street for free.

Carowinds 73-03
08-07-2005, 10:46 PM
Yeah and alot of people do. I always see about 200 cars there but only 10 people in the mall.

Hopefully Carowinds can do something about that cause 200 cars is alot of money their missing out on.

coasterlove
08-07-2005, 11:04 PM
If it's a big enough issue for Paramount Carowinds, they could come to agreement with the mall and have the cars towed if they're not actual mall customers. Depending on the size of the mall and their parking lot, I'm sure they're not happy with people using and taking up spaces that potential mall customers could be using.

Because if there are actually a couple hundred cars taking advantage of that every day, that's hundred of thousands of dollars every year they could be making that they're not.

But fess up Carowinds 73-03....you're doing it too, aren't you? ;)

cannonballer
08-11-2005, 11:35 AM
This is a complaint I have had for years! If they need more money they could hide the extra money in other prices. I mean Lake winnie is free parking so why not everywhere else? I think paying to park somwhere where there is no bus line or trolly line is a rip off!

coasterlove
08-11-2005, 04:13 PM
This is a complaint I have had for years! If they need more money they could hide the extra money in other prices. I mean Lake winnie is free parking so why not everywhere else?

Yeah, well when's the last time that Lake Winnie got a new coaster or major expensive new attractions that cost a lot of money? Also since they're a small park, how many employees could they possibly have? Big parks, the type of parks that charge for parking often have over a thousand seasonal employees! Cedar Point has about 5,000! And I'm sure many of the other big parks like SFMM, SFGAd, SFGAm, PKI, etc also have thousands as well.

You know....coasters and ride cost a lot of money. And it's not just rides and coasters either. Parks get these things called waterparks. They're expensive. SFGAm just spent $35 million last year to get one. On top of all the staff required to run all the attractions, shows, rides and everything else, it also uses electricity. So it's pretty hard to make a comparison between Lake Winnie and all three of their coasters to mega parks that have ten or more coasters as well as dozens more rides and attractions and also the thousands of workers needed.

I honestly don't understand how some people can be so dense and not understand that. Stuff costs money and if you want to be able to play with that stuff, you have to pay. It's a simple concept. If you don't like it don't go. But don't complain about the parking but yet take all that stuff that the bigger parks get for granted.

xDevilDoll
08-13-2005, 12:56 AM
I think season/annual passholders should pay for parking due to the fact that they are allowed to visit other parks for free. So basically all they'll really be paying for is parking and whatever else they decide to get in the park. I do think that parking should be at least free for those that enter the park without season/annual pass because they are all ready paying a high fee for tickets, food, and merchandise. Then again coasterlove ^^^ proves a big point parks do cost a lot to maintain everything just costs a lot. I wouldn't blame the parks if the prices got higher.

Carowinds 73-03
08-13-2005, 04:17 AM
But fess up Carowinds 73-03....you're doing it too, aren't you? ;)

I did park there a few times but that was years ago. I now park in the Employee Lot.

Griswold
08-13-2005, 09:46 AM
Kennywood is free too, unless you wanna park closer. I never have to pay when I drive our church van on our youth group trips. PKI and Wyandot Lake let churches park for free. I haven't been anywhere else with our kids but I'm sure it's the same at other parks.

Bratman
08-13-2005, 09:17 PM
I have a season's pass for my local Paramount Park (PCW) . I paid the extra $ to get a parking pass on top of that. While I do see the argument that I should have to pay to park at other Paramount parks, it still burns me that while other Paramount parks accept my season's pass, they don't accept my parking pass. I know, it is a small price to pay......

As for the other comments:

- I was at Carowinds a few weeks ago. Yes, I agree, the parking lot needs repaving. Also, I can see the need for a tram there, if on busy days they use the whole lot, as it does wrap itself under the bottom half of the park. The unlucky people who get there late face a long walk.

-talking about trams, I got to experience them this year at Hersheypark and Dollywood. Both places are good examples of parks that needed trams and use them properly. Was very impressed.

Dukeis#1
08-13-2005, 09:24 PM
Carowinds had some trams many years ago, but they didn't last too long. You can see how some sections of the parking lot look to have been part of a tram road.

Since the south entrance to the park is closed to the general public now, I think it would be nice if the park had some trams, if only on busy days.

whipster56
08-13-2005, 10:30 PM
I think season/annual passholders should pay for parking due to the fact that they are allowed to visit other parks for free. So basically all they'll really be paying for is parking and whatever else they decide to get in the park. I do think that parking should be at least free for those that enter the park without season/annual pass because they are all ready paying a high fee for tickets, food, and merchandise. Then again coasterlove ^^^ proves a big point parks do cost a lot to maintain everything just costs a lot. I wouldn't blame the parks if the prices got higher.

I pay almost $600 for 2 Platinum Passports for Busch Gardens/SeaWorld. I think I deserve to park for free

Carowinds 73-03
08-14-2005, 12:15 AM
Carowinds still lets non pass holders in the south gate on really busy days, They would get thousands of complaints if they didn't.

But yes we need some trams and hopefully next year we'll get some or soon after.

If indeed the park want to make the south gate for pass holders only then they will have to add a tram once they do that.

Cephas
08-14-2005, 03:00 PM
I don't think I have been at carowinds yet this season when the south gate was closed to the general public. Along the same lines, I haven't had my fingers scanned yet this season either. I've been about 10 times too...

Carowinds 73-03
08-14-2005, 09:43 PM
You don't need your finger scanned because you got the earlier pass with the picture.

Next year all passes will require finger scanning.

Cephas
08-14-2005, 10:51 PM
Awesome, more ways for paramount to waste time and money.

Carowinds 73-03
08-15-2005, 02:53 AM
Thats what i said when i first found out. Why waste the time, effort & money on something i personally think is dumb.

The park spend all this money when all they have to do is make the employees look at the passes, If not fire them and hire one's who will. If that dosen't work then i guess get park management to control the gates.

Hopefully the finger scan thing won't last very long.

TimberWolfe
08-15-2005, 03:08 AM
i think you have to ride a tran at silver dollar city but iam not sure

kcar713
08-15-2005, 11:14 AM
Make it free... I mean.. If your going to drop $100+ for a family to spend the day at a park.. do you really need to make me pay $10! to park my car?
Yep, welcome to Holiday World (free parking, soft drinks, and inner tubes) - http://www.holidayworld.com/

SFGadvKing
08-15-2005, 12:44 PM
If everyone that visited parks were like some of the cheap bastards I see on this site, parks wouldn't last very long. I understand not buying pop since it's espensive, I don't either. But when people won't buy one thing to eat at the park ever or even one souvenier once in a while, I guess I find it weird. It wouldn't really hurt that much to buy a cheeseburger or a slice of pizza. So what it might cost you an extra dollar or two. All you tightwads might be the difference in whether your park gets that new coaster in a year or two.

lay off a little. some people here dont have hundreds of dollars comming out of their wallets. we dont buy food at the parks thinking that "nice, this will get us a new rollercoaster" we buy it because we're hungry and most of us teenagers dont have much money so yes, even saving 1 or 2 dollars could be a differance. i've been to sfgadv 6 times this year and have never bought a single thing inside the park. i paid $90 for my season pass, $30 for my parking pass, and then a half a tank of gas every time i go there. im 17 and im not going to dish out $10 on a slice of pizza, fries, and a drink when i could leave the park and get it for $5. when i go to gadv, my point isnt for them to make more money, its for me to have a good time.

Jimmy B
08-15-2005, 01:10 PM
As a Frontier City employee, parking is hardly an issue at Six Flags over Texas since they invite me to park in their employee parking lot, when I visit their park.

The theme parks in Texas used to have tram support for public transportation from the parking lot to the park gate, but for some reason I haven't seen them at work lately. For Astroworld particularly, trams were essential in transporting visitors due to the location of the parking lot across the I-610 freeway from the park itself.

I don't have any problems with parks charging for parking, the parking prices would generate profit and probably help maintain the lot. As for a parking pass, I like that it is separate from a season pass, because not all season pass holders are able to bring their own automobiles to park, some people arrive in some alternative form of transportation and get dropped off at the park.

To make the parking experience great, trams obviously are a must -- especially at a major park on busy days, security at parking lots, service stations on premises to assist guests in need.

Martin
08-15-2005, 09:30 PM
I would make the prices cheaper if I could, and although I have a SF Season Pass, people who come to the park with 4 people let's say only one time a year, don't want to have to pay $10 to $15 on top of $200+ for admission not including money for food, and all of the gift shop items they want if they only come once a year. It already is an expense without getting inside park. Who wants to pay $10 to $15 for their car to just be parked in the hot sun not doing anything. That's my opinion on parking at theme parks.

coasterlove
09-06-2005, 02:46 AM
lay off a little. some people here dont have hundreds of dollars comming out of their wallets. we dont buy food at the parks thinking that "nice, this will get us a new rollercoaster" we buy it because we're hungry and most of us teenagers dont have much money so yes, even saving 1 or 2 dollars could be a differance. i've been to sfgadv 6 times this year and have never bought a single thing inside the park. i paid $90 for my season pass, $30 for my parking pass, and then a half a tank of gas every time i go there. im 17 and im not going to dish out $10 on a slice of pizza, fries, and a drink when i could leave the park and get it for $5. when i go to gadv, my point isnt for them to make more money, its for me to have a good time.

I just noticed this now, that's why I'm replying so late to this.

First, it's pretty much a fact that many teenagers have more spendable income than many adults. Teenagers maybe have to pay for their car and that's it. When you're an adult and a parent for that matter and you have to pay for things like rent or a mortgage, all your food, heat, electricity stuff for your kids, etc, you'll look back and see how easy you had it.

Second off, let's not exaggerate the price of a slice of pizza. $10???

Last, your park has gotten a lot of new stuff the last few years and it looks like it will for the forseeable future. That stuff costs money. So if people don't want to spend a lot of money, then don't go. But to me, it's being a hypocrite to want and enjoy new rides but them turn around and complain about the prices. I'm not saying you are but that some people are.

I talked to a friend of a friend about this. We were at my homepark SFGAm a couple years ago. I never really liked him much and he's the type that will try to start a debate with me just to argue. He'll then get pissy with me when I start to make a point. But anyways... He asked me about the pricing there and complained to me about how expensive it is to get in and all that. He'll pay outlandish prices to clothing, food, etc because it's trendy or fancy but he was complaining about this. I explained to him much like I have in this thread. The rides are expensive, they have to maintenance, there is a lot of landscaping, etc and also all the workers. I told him that's a lot of expenses on their part. He tried to tell me that he couldn't see it but had no problem defending his fancy stores he shops at saying they have stuff to pay for as well like electricty. Funny, none of those store's electric bills would be higher than a lower priced store.

I'm starting to drift off the subject slightly but the point I'm making is this, if you really think about it, you'll see why they have to charge what they do. Operating these bigger parks cost millions of dollars every year. And it's not just a matter of getting new rides, but keeping the park itself operating. Look over the years and see how many parks have closed. I'd hate to seee anymore parks closed. I'll gladly spend a little bit of money at my park and those that I visit.

I love DW
09-04-2006, 12:45 AM
Ideas for every park. Have either free or cheap parking 5 or 6 dollars at the most. Definetly have trams. Have a upgraded pass such as a Gold Pass (or what ever they chose to call it) that allows you free parking and discounts off inside the park. And if you are going to have free parking like Holiday World have a better paved lot than they do.