PDA

View Full Version : SFA or PKD?

joedonuts1011
08-13-2005, 06:02 PM
Hey everyone...here's the deal.

I am on my extended honeymoon with my wife. We were in Italy, and then we decided to spend the last 3 days of hour honeymoon in London. I figured...OK...we would hit Alton Towers. Didn't happen...what with the second terrorist attempt on the 21st. We were there from the 25th through the 28th. Also...was VERY COLD...barely 60 degrees and rain every day.

Anyway...I am in Miami now, and am heading back home to New York on August 24th. I am taking the Auto Train to Virginia. I arrive in Lorton, VA on Thursday morning, August 25th, at 8:30 A.M.

I am debating between PKD and SFA. PKD seems better, but it is an hour south, whereas SFA is 1/2 hour north, which would not take me out of my way to go home.

Any suggestions?? Thanks!

Carowinds 73-03
08-13-2005, 06:09 PM
I would personall hit SFA then since it on the way home. Backtracking an hour would not be too bad and worth it for PKD but if i were in your shoes io would wan to get home asap so i would tend to take the park on the way home although i would persoanlly choose PKD but like i said SFA would be the easiest.

Both parks are good with a nice collection of coasters.

Leo C
08-13-2005, 06:55 PM
I would stick with SFA though I'd prefer to go to PKD. After that unfortunate trip overseas with the bad weather and terrorism, I'd do the positive thing and cover the park on the way home, not go back south just to cover that ground again. I wonder if the Mrs. is fond of our hobby as well. It would be the safe bet to just go North to SFA.

momo1tx
08-13-2005, 06:56 PM
Yes, like what was said above, PKD is worth the backtrack, but SFA is more convenient. They both have good rides, so it comes down to convenience and personal appeal. I think SFA isn't as bad as some people make it out to be, so it would be my personal choice for this.

NITROS AIRTIME
08-13-2005, 07:53 PM
It's not that I don't like PKD, because I love it, but if your just looking at coasters, I think I would go with SFA. They just have more variety. THey have a hyper, flying, launching,inverted, wood, vekoma invertigo, and other's. They both have ther advantages, and they both have there disadvantages. I just wouldn't want to backtrack and out of the way if I were trying to go. If you really wanted a more complete park ( or a park with more coasters) then PKD is the way to go.

joedonuts1011
08-14-2005, 12:00 AM
Sorry to say, ChillerC1...the Mrs. does not like our hobby. However, she does come to the parks with me because she knows it is something I truly love. She is also thankful that she married someone with the addiction that we all have (adrenaline), and that it is indeed a healthy addiction.

I have to be honest...I was kind of psyched to finally hit Volcano at PKD. I am a big Intamin launched coaster fan...Wicked Twister is one of my faves. S:ROS looks good....I do want to ride it...but, I have never ridden an Intamin hyper...first Intamin I ever rode was MF.

Thanks for the tips. I think SFA is the way to go. BTW...is Batwing actually running? I thought that it had tremendous downtime. Only flyer I have ridden has been a B&M...haven't conqurered the Vekoma flyer yet.

PANTSFREE
08-17-2005, 06:03 PM
I'd go to SFA, even though overall its a far worse park (the coasters are great when they're open but the employees are simply put the worst ever). The traffic going down to PKD is horrible and noone wants that. I-95 south in Northern Virginia is the worst place to be in a car ever. Just because of the traffic getting there and going back I'd go to SFA.

edit: Batwing runs very sporadically with lots of breakdowns and maintenance stuff. My suggestion is keep an eye on the ride and if you see it running head over there. The line shouldn't be too bad (maybe 45 minutes tops depending on # of trains and how bad the employees are doing) so its best to wait til its open then just wait...

Leo C
08-17-2005, 11:23 PM
I hope that one Batwing train does not still have that annoying rattle I felt two years ago.

clone1219
08-17-2005, 11:38 PM
IMO I think it would be better for you to go to PKD over SFA for a few reasons. The overall feel of SFA after my trip there earlier this summer was that I stepped into the "Ghetto Zone". As my girlfriend and I were making our way back to S:ROS and BAtwing (Which btw were ok rides but nothing stellar since I live an hour either direction from CP and GL {MF<better> and X-Flight<exact same coaster>}) we found ourselves being surrounded by wannabe rappers at every game booth rapping along to none other than Ludacris being pumped over the loud speakers in the park! As much as I hate to be bothered by game barkers saying "hey come over here and play my game" I find it much more professional than polishing up on one's freestyling skills at work before the next Rap Battle comes to town. After finishing the back portion of the park we heeaded to the front and stood in line for Two-Face:the flip side. The Lead ride-op of this particular ride deamed it necesary to make comments to oncoming riders such as "I hopes you all have life insurance since you're riding this ride!" and "Please take off your new air jordans cause I don't want to have to hear you yell if they fall off of your feet" ( seriously I couldn't make this **** up if I tried). As if the employees were'nt bad enough, the guests were worse. Ihad the esteemed pleasure not once or twice but THREE times of kids ages 10-15? standing in line behind me asking " Let me get a dollar so I can get something to drink". Luckily it was a very slow morning there that day (early in the season) because after getting in all the coasters there (roughly six hours) my girlfriend had that look of PLEASE Let's just get the hell outta here all over her face, and she happens to be a very big fan of our hobby here. I could only imagine what your new bride would think of SFA if she is only into going because you enjoy it. I'd be willing to bet that she'd hate SFA with a passion. PKD on the other hand was a very delightful portion of our trip. The employees were very professional and the park was very clean and well themed. I personally liked the coaster collection at PKD much better. My only disappointment was waiting 45 minutes for XLC but still had a much more enjoyable time. hopes this info proves to be helpful.

PANTSFREE
09-27-2005, 02:21 PM
^ PKD has worst guests imo. Atleast at SFA you don't have to wait for much of anything or atleast for more then a few minutes on weekdays and 20-30 minutes on weekends so you don't notice obnoxious guests as much. PKD you're stuck with the most obnoxious mix of "gangsters" "teeny boppers" and "good ol' boys" ever in lines anywhere from 5 minutes to the unbearable 2 hours.