PDA

View Full Version : Cedar Point FreeWay Cancelled

Marcus
08-14-2005, 07:37 PM
Just as a little update of information from within the park, CP Management has decided to suspend the use of the FreeWay system for the rest of the season, or possibly longer. Reason for the sudden change can only be speculated. All FreeWay booths have been removed and employees have been instructed to inform guest of the change.

The only possiblility I can see is an overwhelming number of guest complaints may have influenced management's decision. I know about 5 days ago, I encountered a guest at my location, extremely upset about the system. The guest was irrate and didn't find it fair that he had wait 2 hours in line for Millennium Force, while others got to stay dry and cut in front of the man. At the end of the night, he sure cussed out one of the Ride Managers, since she said he had not been inconvienced more than anyone else in the park. But honestly I think they might just remodel the system a better way rather than completely trash the idea.

MilhouseTheKing
08-14-2005, 07:43 PM
Good, I have always hated the freeway system and all other systems like it in other theme parks. I hope others follow suit.

Mr. Six
08-14-2005, 07:44 PM
I've never been to Cedar Point so I was wondering is this like the system they have at Disney Land or is it the one where you have to pay for it? This is too bad though.

Cuddy
08-14-2005, 07:51 PM
Nope, you don't pay, it is totally free. I used it once for Millennium Force, probably the first year they used it.

I don't care either way...what's wrong with waiting in line for a ride? So you might not hit everything in your first visit...

dcs221
08-14-2005, 07:54 PM
Everyone can get it. It's free. They open the freeway booths (each of the major coasters have one) at 11:00 so you wait in line for a handstamp for the corresponding ride. You can get one hand stamp per hand. I really liked it when I was there. It's completely fair, since everyone can get two. That shortened two long waits during the day, which was great. I'm sorry to hear that they discontinued it for this year or longer, though I won't be going back anytime soon because I live 8 hours away.

Mr. Six
08-14-2005, 07:57 PM
I like the free ones. I dont see why people would complain, if they can do it to. I dont care for the ones where people have to pay.

beltzies64
08-14-2005, 08:38 PM
The stopped using it at this point last season too. I am guessing it is just due to staffing, and it will be back next year...

cplover34
08-14-2005, 09:07 PM
I think they should make a FreeWay stamps a thing where there is a small fee, maybe $5-$10, and that gets you to the front of the line, not just about 3/4 of the way there.

Pcw
08-14-2005, 09:15 PM
I've never used dohickeys at any park (seeing as I've only been to PCW and some carnis). I don't see what the problem is to just wait in line. At least if they do it that way, they should add TVs and junk to entertain guests in the line ups.

coasterlove
08-14-2005, 09:23 PM
I've never had a problem with it since it was free and anyone could use it. I (or really my friends) would be too lazy or thoughtless to do it. I liked the idea of it since it was available to anyone. I never really liked the idea of Six Flag's fastlane or whatever since it's costs money. I don't mind them trying to make some more money but rather they fact that it essentially mean those with more money are more important. It isn't enough that some people have to pay $40+, they have to wait longer for those who paid an extra $10-15 for the fastlane pass.

obi1sgirl
08-14-2005, 11:39 PM
As of August 10th, when I was last there, Freeways are available and still... Free. I myself got one for Raptor.

And yes, I registered pretty much just to say that. ;)

(edited to change date. I was at CP the 10th, Michigan's Adventure the 13th. Oops.)

Mustang23
08-15-2005, 08:11 AM
every time I have been to CP, I made sure everyone got a freeway stamp, it is just the way to go. I really like the program.

It is a shame that it was suspended.

robvia
08-15-2005, 09:20 AM
Most kids are back in school, they probably don't need to staff the booths anymore. School starts earlier and earlier, which is a bummer because the weather is great.

I like Freeway. But you have to be standing at the MF booth at 11am, because the line can streatch to Frontier land, and by the time you get your stamp, it will be for 6pm. So I can see how someone could get mad, when they see people skipping most of the line, and then being told the stamps are gone for the day.

Johnny Upsidedown
08-15-2005, 10:56 AM
Sounds like a normal operation when park gets slower.
But
Maybe it has to do with the new $1500 no wait prevledge. As reported in the Sandusky Registry yesterday.

For $1,500, guests are eligible for admission for up to six people, VIP
parking, a tour guide, no waiting in line at rides, special seating at
the park's shows, call-ahead reservations at Cedar Point restaurants
and complimentary ride photos. Security detail is extra.

Kingdakasurivor
08-15-2005, 10:01 PM
i read on CP.com that the hand stamp was in effect

Zombo
08-15-2005, 10:43 PM
It would be a shame for it to go away completely. I thought it was one of the most fair systems, and one of the most fun. For a little bit of extra forethought and planning, you are rewarded with a 20-minute wait for Millennium Force. What could be better?

The complainers seem to just not "get it":

- Is it fair for someone to go ahead of you in line? Sure. Because you are also eligible to do it, FOR FREE.

- Is it a pain to have to go wait for a stamp? Maybe. But if you find a 15-minute wait for a stamp to be too annoying, why they heck are you in a 2-HOUR LINE for a roller coaster anyway? Getting the stamp is a small sacrifice.

- Does it suck that you didn't realize you could get a stamp like that? Sure. Here's a hint for next time: READ THE LITTLE BROCHURE they give you when you walk in. Life will be much easier. Especially when you need to find a place to pee.

Heh, rant over. I feel much better now.

intamin101
08-15-2005, 11:28 PM
I can say that the Freeway system was in effect on August 13th, and was discontinued on August 14th. I happened to be there on both of those days, and was pretty confused until I found out it had been discontinued... ("I swear there was a booth right there...")

coasterlove
08-16-2005, 06:21 PM
Sounds like a normal operation when park gets slower.
But
Maybe it has to do with the new $1500 no wait prevledge. As reported in the Sandusky Registry yesterday.

For $1,500, guests are eligible for admission for up to six people, VIP
parking, a tour guide, no waiting in line at rides, special seating at
the park's shows, call-ahead reservations at Cedar Point restaurants
and complimentary ride photos. Security detail is extra.

If someone has the money...why not, I guess. If it were $1,000, it wouldn't actually be too bad since it would come out to $166.67 a person. That wouldn't be asking too much for getting to ride everything multiple times without waiting, included on ride photos, etc. But for the $250 a person, that's a bit steep. Also, I'd actually rather not have a guide, I'd rather they just give me a bracelet and a paper saying I was a VIP. If they did that and thus the price was lower, I'd consider it for myself if they had a deal for about $150-175. If they could get rid of the guide and photos, it could work out. ;)

kjm3388
08-21-2005, 03:02 PM
Think quickly about Six Flags VIP pass. I know at GAdv its $106 for only four hours. So the whole day cost $318 per person (unless there is some speical offer). All that includes is a sticker that lets you go up the exit on some rides and the fastlane line on others.

And like coasterlove said, I'm sure the guide will get annoying.

80s_hair
08-22-2005, 12:12 AM
I can say that the Freeway system was in effect on August 13th, and was discontinued on August 14th. I happened to be there on both of those days, and was pretty confused until I found out it had been discontinued... ("I swear there was a booth right there...")I was just there also I arrived the 15th last day was the 20th. <<<Back to reality for me>>> Anyway I saw no signs of freeway stamps I looked too. I finally asked and ws told it was discontinued because it was Off-season. Now you could have fooled me because the place was packed. Mon and Tues was the busiest it seemed. Wow and the Milenium was down from Mon late afternoon and all day Tues. Wed the line was insane. But, it was fun.

I think someone was right the collage folks are going back to school and they are getting short handed for that stuff.

Later, 80's Hair

Hammy2003
08-22-2005, 12:40 AM

It's not new. Only more marketed now than before. The program has never been exclusively for celebrities (though that's common); anybody with the $$$ can get it.

As for the reasons for the abandoning of FreeWay . . . having been employed in close relation with that department, I really think it has more to do with staffing. Y'all really wouldn't believe me if I told you how understaffed several departments were at CP this year.

Also, I really don't think it's that big of a deal. The GP was truly un-informed about it, even though it's in the park map. I got more questions about that than anything probably (in Guest Services at the main gate). All they gotta do is READ! Lol.

raser
03-23-2006, 01:20 AM
^^ now the vip package is $350 per person. OUch, that makes me feel like a UIP Un-important person. As I could never spend that much on a park...

Chris L
03-23-2006, 02:46 AM
Ugh. That $1,500.00 "No-wait" privelage package is ridiculous. I mean, sure the people that can actually call the park up and arrange one of these won't think twice about the amount because they can afford it, but just think about how much you're being ripped off for that!

- 6 people x general admission: Approximately $210-$240

- Complimentary on-ride photos (at $1,500, you're technically paying for all of these! Complimentary my ass)/(16 coasters x $15): Approximately $240 and that's if you get a photo from EVERY coaster.

- VIP parking (can't be THAT much more expensive than a regular parking spot): Approximated value at $50

- Immediate ride/attraction boarding privelages (Using FastLane as a control --- Four Six Flags FastLane tickets is $15 -- averaged out to around $3.50 per FastLane ticket, but since you're boarding immediately, let's make raise it to $5 for this particular package): Estimated attractions and repeat rides one may visit at Cedar Point in one day, about 100 individual boarding opportunities JUST TO BE SAFE (and even that's almost exaggerated), multiplied by $5. Approximated value: $500

Tour guide. Hmm. Probably being payed no more than $15.00 per hour (even that seems a litle too much) for the job. And let's say the park is open from 10 AM to 12 PM in the summertime and that the tour guide is with them ALL 14 hours, which is highly unlikely. That's $15.00 x 14 hours= Approximately $200.

TOTAL APPROXIMATED MAXIMUM VALUE= $1,230. Meaning about $270 (or more, if some services are left unused, or some goods not collected) goes right into the park's pocket. I suppose that's a fat tip for organizing the private party tour? ;)

Was I looking way too deep into this? ;) :D :lol:

Hector
03-24-2006, 04:37 AM
Reason for the sudden change can only be speculated.

*cough*Falfas**cough*