PDA

View Full Version : Batman & Robin The Chiller ???? (Batman)

coolstarwasim
09-04-2005, 12:25 AM
I have noticed that the Batman side hasn't been opened. Whats wrong????? Will they tear it down. It looks like an awesome ride, but how come they havent fixed it yet... (I did sit on Robin, IT IS SWEET)

SFGadvKing
09-04-2005, 12:27 AM
it wont be torn down. i would guess it will be worked on in the off season. as long as robin is open, im happy.

Leo C
09-04-2005, 12:35 AM
The Batman side of the tower is a critical part of the supports for the Robin side. The two could not be divorced.

Jerry S
09-04-2005, 12:36 AM
I wish that, even if both couldn't be open at the same time, they would do bi-hourly rotation, meaning every two hours, they would close the line to one, and pen it to the other side.

LiveNDieNDixie
09-04-2005, 01:46 AM
Why is one side closed exactly?

James
09-04-2005, 02:28 AM
My guess is...
1. Missing lims?
2. NO TRAIN! (thats fact... as of my vist ((and yes I did look in back and not see it on the parking track..)
3. under staffing?

tommyistommy
09-04-2005, 07:09 AM
The batman side looks so much better. It really should open. Have they ever taken off at the same time? That would be really cool. When I go I always see a long line for robin...So I only rode it once, but it was good. An inverted tophat looks like it would be so awesome.

iNTeNSeBLue98
09-04-2005, 07:49 AM
We were very disappointed that the Robin side of this coaster was not open yesterday.

GAcoasterguy
09-04-2005, 08:06 AM
Yesterday Robin saddled, but they had it testing again before the end of the day, so it should be up and running today: http://amusementpics.com/Summer%2005%20Notes.htm

The Batman side is still missing its LIMS and train, which were out for rehab at Premier Rides over the Winter, which of course had a fire. My guess is that the fire either destroyed or damaged the Batman parts, or the work on them was pushed back since Premier had to scramble to replace the trains destroyed for the Italian Job coasters.

Initially both sides of Chiller did launch simultaneously, but the power draw is just too much on the park's electric system. Now, when both sides run they launch one, then the other can can launch once the first clears the booster LIMS on the spike, so they still pass one another but don't launch at the same time.

coolstarwasim
09-04-2005, 11:41 AM
did batman the chiller run last year????

dcs221
09-04-2005, 01:01 PM
Robin isn't working as well as it should be either. It's been up on the two days I was at GADV this year, but it only has around half of the lims as it normally does on the spike. Therefore, it doesn't get anywhere near the top of the spike (I'd estimate that it used to get 20 feet from the end... not it gets between 40 and 50 feet from the end) meaning the return trip is much slower than usual. That's why I haven't been on it this year. Robin's one of my top 15 or so favorite rides, but it's not worth the 1.5 hour wait if it's not going near the top of the spike. I'd rather wait under 1.5 hours for Kingda Ka, than wait 1.5 hours for Robin the Chiller.

James
09-04-2005, 01:04 PM
did batman the chiller run last year????
Yes it did. Last year at fright fest both sides of chiller were open.

DPCMAN
09-05-2005, 10:43 PM
I think they don't run both sides because of the enormous amount of electricity it takes to run two sets of LIMs. The sad thing is, I'm pretty sure they actually built a power generator to run both sides of The Chiller so they wouldn't have to suck power from all of the other attractions in the area.

coolstarwasim
09-05-2005, 10:59 PM
I havent gone to SF until this year, was Batman blue intstead of Black??????

PANTSFREE
09-06-2005, 07:35 AM
Both times I've been to SFGAdv (2 years ago, and this year) Robin was open but Batman was not. This year the line was huge and the loading times were awful, so I wasn't about to wait 2-3 hours... worst day at a park in a long while, other then getting on KK of course.

Leo C
09-06-2005, 08:24 AM
I haven't waited more than 20 minutes for this ride since the year 2000. I just don't ride if the line is downstairs and out the station. I go to the ride first thing in the morning or whenever the line is basically just out the loading station and slightly down the ramp. I'm impressed that the Robin side is running on a minimal amount of LIMs on the spike. I think that's as high as it usually goes anyway.

Martin
09-06-2005, 08:53 AM
I think they don't run both sides because of the enormous amount of electricity it takes to run two sets of LIMs. The sad thing is, I'm pretty sure they actually built a power generator to run both sides of The Chiller so they wouldn't have to suck power from all of the other attractions in the area.
They can run them both at the same time, they just can't launch at the same time. They have to alternate launches.

coasterchick80
09-07-2005, 07:35 PM
When I was there the ride op said that the other side was being used for parts and would not open at all.

Then again this is coming from a ride op. Not the best source.

-Jill

medieval
09-07-2005, 07:56 PM
It might open again in Oct. like it did last year.

Thrillboy
09-08-2005, 04:41 PM
I hope so. in all the times I was ever there, I never saw it run once. only saw ride ops enter the robin through Batman's gates. WHY are all of SF Duelers only using one side!! that completely eliminates their purpose.

dcs221
09-08-2005, 05:03 PM
ChillerLC1- Robin definately doesn't run nearly as high as it went last year and the previous years. I'd say it used to get maybe 20 feet from the end, now it's about 40 feet from the end (observed from an offride perspective as onride perspective distorts perceived distances). The LIMS seem like they barely do anything. It's one of my favorite rides, but definately not worth the 1.5 hour wait it gets now, especially when Kingda Ka has been at 1.5 hours or less both days I've been at GAdv this year.

Leo C
09-08-2005, 05:07 PM
Just had a personal age perspective moment there. I guess it's been 7 years since the dueling launches have been mainstream occurrences. I remember the ride dueling back n forth in 1998. Goes to show how TN has a large youth following. :usa: I think the ride could still truthfully duel but just a few times a day. It can not be mainstream. It will probably still be launched so the train meets midway as one goes forward and one goes in reverse.

My perspective of Robin launching up the spike must be distorted of the flashback views of both Batman and Robin on that tower at the same time. Batman would always be launched ahead of Robin up there. When there was a full set of LIMs up there the Robin trains' first and/or second car completely cleared all LIMS. Robin seemed to always have plenty of distance left to go up the tower.

tommyistommy
09-10-2005, 05:32 PM
I did not know it didn't get as high as it should, but I did notice when I was on it and watching it, I thaught it could go higher and go faster. I didn't know there was lims on the return hill. I didn't feel them at all.

medieval
09-10-2005, 07:10 PM
For anyone who wants to know, robin is back open.

Martin
09-10-2005, 07:31 PM
I went on it today. It was testing in the morning and opened in the early afternoon. It seemed that when they were testing it they tested it at a higher speed than it does with passengers. Maybe I was just imagining it.

xtreme
09-10-2005, 07:36 PM
when matenence is working on it they have a key for the panel.it makes the ride go 5 to 10 mph faster.

Martin
09-10-2005, 08:36 PM
Yeah, I knew I wasn't just imagining it it was definatley going pretty fast through the corba loop.

Leo C
09-10-2005, 09:15 PM
I wonder if they tested it faster when the employees test rode it. When I worked a rare morning shift in '98 we test rode Batman & Robin in a dueling launch. Blown me way. Hoped the maintenance mode was kicking.

Kingdakasurivor
11-11-2005, 03:54 PM
Didn't the power surge KO the batman sides LIMS and they needed to be replaced?

I remember deeing some of batmans LIMS Removed or had orange spry paint dots on them when I went to the park a few weeks ago

tommyistommy
11-14-2005, 03:07 PM
I really hope they can get it fixed during the off season. The inverted top hat looks like the coolest element on a rollercoaster I've ever seen in person. When I was there I noticed missing LIMS aswell

nitrolover123
11-14-2005, 06:59 PM
they are using batman parts for robin because robin was missing something

tommyistommy
11-19-2005, 11:01 AM
I say if it doesn't open for the 06 season, we arn't going to see it open again. It really never has worked...

coolstarwasim
11-20-2005, 02:57 AM
Ya prolly, It looks great though, they might just tear it down and call it "Robin The Chiller" :) you never know

tommyistommy
11-20-2005, 08:29 AM
The thing is, they can't. Robin uses batmans supports and vice versa. So if they ever take it out, they are both coming out. And I don't see why they would take it out. It doesn't have a big footprint at all.

Thunderhawk
11-20-2005, 11:06 AM
I think if they get ride of Batman, the Robin side goes too. I also agree that if it's not open this year, it probably won't open again. Maybe they'll replace it with a nice realiable intamin ;)

Chiller1472
11-20-2005, 12:38 PM
^
I don't believe any of that will happen. The reason the Batman side has been down is just a matter of LIM's. Over the years more and more have needed to be replaced, at the beginning of this season when there was a shortage of LIM's it was decided that they would begin the season running only the Robin side since it takes less LIM's to operate. All the while the Batman train has sat quietly in the maintenance shed all year, waiting for some more LIM's to arrive at the park.. well once those LIM's arrived, Robin was losing some more, so pretty much they were taken straight to Robin.

I suspect if the right money is left in the budget, Batman will finally get its share of LIM's and the ride will operate at some point next season. If not, there's always the next year lol.

After all the money that has been invested into this ride since 97, there are many who would be very hesitant to tear it down. Besides, in their minds so long as one side is running then technically that ride is open, and it is STILL a very popular ride.

Leo C
11-20-2005, 10:27 PM
Man, I haven't seen you in ages.

Despite the wait, the GP knows what the ride is. I don't expect the ride to go, Batman will most likely return! The pad space with Water Effect behind it is somewhat weird. I could only see limited things that would fill that space. I can't wait to get a night ride on the Batman side again; a full moon shining off the newly repainted smoky blue.

Chiller1472
11-20-2005, 11:02 PM
^
Smoky blue? lol looks more like purple to me! Nevertheless I can't wait either, one day soon enough it will come.

Kingdakasurivor
11-20-2005, 11:29 PM
I never got the chance to ride it because I was afraid of coaster then to short to ride when it was open Curse being 12

Edit: I hope to see it in 06 for ride #1

coasterfreak14
11-25-2005, 08:07 PM
I really think they should reopen it. It looks like a really fun ride. I wish I could ride it but living in Texas kinda rules that out for me :(. Oh well.

Martin
11-25-2005, 08:43 PM
It's not a matter of if they want to or not, coasterfreak, it is a matter of getting the necessary LIMs, replacing what needs to be replaced, and getting the ride to run properly. They would love to have Batman: Chiller open.

Dragon Mountain
11-25-2005, 11:36 PM
I just keep forgetting, what colour is batman and what colour is robin?

Ryan F
11-25-2005, 11:47 PM
batman = blue
robin = red

coasterfreak14
11-26-2005, 05:53 PM
It's not a matter of if they want to or not, coasterfreak, it is a matter of getting the necessary LIMs, replacing what needs to be replaced, and getting the ride to run properly. They would love to have Batman: Chiller open.

I know that. I never said that. I just hope they are able to get all the parts necessary to reopen it.

Kingdakasurivor
12-01-2005, 09:04 PM
Is there a part shortage or are they just realy slow because TTD took about 20 days to get its new parts

medieval
12-01-2005, 09:23 PM
Actually, Batman is a very dark purple and robin is a blood red :)

As long as everything goes to plan, Batman should be open for spring '06.

Leo C
12-01-2005, 10:56 PM
It's a smoky very dark purple that I bet would fade to a blue. Robin's magenta/blood red is a really nice blend.

coolstarwasim
12-13-2005, 05:50 PM
I don't think Batman will open for 06'

jswiga
12-13-2005, 06:05 PM
I beg to differ.

Kingdakasurivor
12-13-2005, 11:17 PM
Me Want Batman

Kingdakasurivor
01-28-2006, 11:45 PM
Wow no ones postesed here for a while. is it positive if it will open or not

Leo C
01-29-2006, 03:56 PM
On the Phil's aerial update for El Toro construction, I thought I saw white lines on the Batman side of the tower. Those may be the returned lims. They sit higher than the one mounted on the Robin side. Confirmation is shoddy; it's only an aerial pic. Don't get the hopes too high yet. I can't wait for its return so the enthusiast savy will enjoy it in the only park with both types of top hats in the world. I don't remember too well. Were the top lims mounted last season with the bottom ones missing and wires spreading out of its mounts on the Batman tower or were all lims on the Batman tower missing?

Kingdakasurivor
01-29-2006, 07:38 PM
Batman had LIMs on the tower? I never noticed them so I don't think they were there

medieval
01-29-2006, 07:42 PM
The 1st 3 set of LIMs were missing off of Batman last year to keep Robin open.

Batman as its train on the track.

Kingdakasurivor
01-29-2006, 07:55 PM
If the train is one the track it probably means "Yes i'm is open agian Come ride me"

Jerry S
01-29-2006, 08:03 PM
Why would missing 3 LIMs keep Robin open?

Kingdakasurivor
01-29-2006, 08:19 PM
^^^
I did quite grab that

medieval
01-29-2006, 10:39 PM
It was missing 6 LIMs. Its also cheeper to use 6 extra LIMs then go buy them.

Leo C
01-30-2006, 12:39 AM
Batman better be back soon. Time's flying. Before we know it it'll be the 10th anniversary of Batman & Robin: The CHILLER in the park. Who knows how much longer this ride will run given its maintenance history.

Kingdakasurivor
01-30-2006, 03:15 PM
It was missing 6 LIMs. Its also cheeper to use 6 extra LIMs then go buy them.

Got it so they just took 6 lims instead of buying them

I feel this is my fault. around 2 years ago I said " I want to go on robin not batman , Robin looks so much cooler." ever scince then I've never seen it open.