PDA

View Full Version : Database Question- portable coasters/ rides?

Sir Willow
09-29-2005, 01:15 PM
I know that this one comes up every time you update or have a change on the database (often by me. hehe) Any ideas yet on if there's a way to incorporate portable and/ or traveling coasters and rides into the database? I've got a few coasters on my list that I've put in as "placeholders" for those that I've actually been on at fairs and things like that, and would like to make it more accurate.

Not sure if you can make it where you could create a carnival or traveling category and list the various kinds there. Then maybe (and this would possibly be the hard part) make just those coasters be able to be counted more than once to accomodate the ones owned by different companies? Or possibly have some "fill in the blank" entries where we could input them ourselves for our lists?

Just a couple of thoughts about how to maybe do it. Would just love to see somehow to have an accurate accounting that would include those.

BryanWood
09-29-2005, 06:45 PM
If anyone else has more ideas on how to implement this category, I'd be all ears. I have a few myself.

Sir Willow
10-04-2005, 05:25 PM
Other possibilities:

List the coasters by fair site (potentially a humongously long list, and ever changing)

list them by carnival company (e.g. Ray Cammack Shows, Butler, etc.) Again, could be a huge list and hard to track down all the companies.

Make a list by ride type (e.g. spinning Mack mouse), and then have multiple listings of each to allow users to accomodate each one (possibly easiest to do, but still a bit messy)

Personally I'd love to hear other options myself.

Sir Willow
01-18-2006, 01:44 PM
Bringing back a bit of a blast from the past, so I'm not really replying to myself here.

I did see a possible solution to this on another site that has a counting feature. Possibly using an addition to a coaster's status can be a way to add a new category. We've already got operating, closed, and SBNO. What about adding in a "traveling" category to that list. That would be a way to make them easier to look up.

Then list them by either ownership, fair site, or perhaps an "unknown/ misc" heading in the database.

Would that be one possibility to making it work? Just keep hoping at some point to be able to at least add in the traveling coasters that I've been on.

Chip
01-20-2006, 03:21 PM
I'll at least reply to this so you know someone's read it. I'll see if one of the database editors can get on this.