PDA

View Full Version : Adding Spellcheck to your favorite browser

Steven
10-03-2005, 02:23 PM
Since it's been a major sticking point on these forums, and there are people who have said that they don't know how to spell, I am doing this as a service to all members who have this problem. Plus, this can serve you well elsewhere.

This also does not excuse you from writing in Internet Shorthand or not using proper grammar.

As a note, some options (like ieSpell) may not have the language options if you are from another country.

Lastly, these instructions are provided AS-IS, with no warranty, expressed or implied. If you need support, please go to the makers of the spell checkers.

Internet Explorer (IE5/higher, Windows only)

Get: ieSpell (http://www.iespell.com/)

Download ieSpell from the above website and install the EXE
Close and restart all of your IE windows
(Suggested), add ieSpell to your IE toolbar

Right click on your toolbar, select "Customize"
http://www.thrillnetwork.com/imgs/addspell/ie/ie1.jpg
On the left, select the ieSpell icon, click "Add", or alternately, drag it to where you want it on your toolbar
http://www.thrillnetwork.com/imgs/addspell/ie/ie2.jpg
Once it is where you want it, click Close.

To use, type your message in any quick reply, new thread, or reply box. When done, before you submit, click the spell button. Alternately, right click in the text area and select "Check Spelling"
It will go through all words... some can be ignored (our usual acronyms, names of parks/rides/members/names/places/etc.). Others, like if you use "da" instead of "the", you should fix on your own because no spell checker will be able to compensate for that.

Firefox

Get: Firefox 2.0 or higher, which has built-in spell checking. If you right-click in a text field, you can select "Spell check this field" "or "Check spelling". It will highlight all the errors. We do not recommend using older versions of Firefox due to them no longer being updated for security issues and such.

Opera

Follow all instructions in this URL:
http://www.opera.com/support/tutorials/opera/spellcheck/
There are at least 2 files that need to be installed for Aspell: the program (Binaries, or if UNIX, Source files) and at least one language pack (precompiled language pack). Install the program, followed by the language pack(s).
Close and restart all Opera windows.
To use, type your message in any quick reply, new thread, or reply box. When done, before you submit, right click in the text area and select "Check Spelling"

Steven
10-03-2005, 03:11 PM
These instructions have been tested to work by me in the latest versions of IE (IE6), Firefox (Firefox 1.0.7 Windows), and Opera (8.5).

If anyone is willing to provide UNIX or Mac Instructions (for other browsers, including screenshots), please let me know.

bk2004
10-08-2005, 02:21 AM
I have Mozilla and I know it is Firefox basically but the directions for setting it up are different on Mozilla, or at least for me. I downloaded Spellbound and the English language for it and they both installed successfully, but when I go to tools it doesn't have entitled "extensions." I eventually found Spellbound in Edit>Preferences>Advanced. But there is basically just showed the programs and information about it and nothing about how to set it up, so do you know what to do in this situation because I am extremely interested in this.

Steven
10-08-2005, 02:55 AM
The similarities between Firefox and Mozilla are in the core engine (Gecko) that they use, plus they can use some of the same extensions.

I hardly use Mozilla Suite anymore because I don't need to test in both Firefox and Mozilla Suite (since the pages are rendered the same way). Plus, with Netscape moving on to NS8 (using IE and Gecko), I can see Mozilla eventually dropping its suite in favor of Firefox/Thunderbird.

Anyway I'll see what I can come up with, but depending on time, I wouldn't expect it soon.

Steven
10-25-2006, 10:54 PM
Just as a note... Firefox 2.0 comes with built-in spell checking. Anyone with Firefox 1.0.x or 1.5.0.x should upgrade to 2.0. If you are using spellbound, go ahead and uninstall it.

Just right-click in the text area you're writing in and select "Spell check this field", and voila!

If you're an IE7 user, you're still stuck with IESpell.

sfft_2108
10-26-2006, 06:56 PM
I just switched to version 2. I like how the spell checker is built in. Also, you don't have to right click on the work and go to spell check to see how to spell it. Just right and then the spellings are at the top. Good Job.

Hector
10-27-2006, 06:57 PM
But you also have to remember the correct word your using, such as "right" in your last sentence should be "write."

I love spell check since I suck at typing so my words come out all weird.

I use Opera's Aspell.

Steven
10-27-2006, 07:34 PM
As I noted in post #1... it's meant to get the spelling errors and isn't an excuse to write in Internet shorthand or to use bad grammar.

sfft_2108
10-28-2006, 12:07 AM
Actually I used the correct word. I just i should of added "click" at the end of right. All you have to do is right click and then the spellings are at the top.

Hector
10-28-2006, 02:58 AM
oops. well then don't leave out words next time ;pumpkin;

bk2004
11-14-2006, 08:17 PM
An easy way, too, is to get the Google toolbar. That has a spellcheck feature also.