PDA

View Full Version : IAAPA 2005 Wednesday

Cahoots99
11-16-2005, 04:49 PM
IAAPA 2005
I just got back from an afternoon at the GWCC. I was a little disappointed in the show this year just because I was expecting that a return to Atlanta would mean the return of Magical Midway in the Georgia Dome. There were no rides in the dome. The rides that were offered outside the building were a sad display and a reminder that the amusement industry is still suffering from 9/11.

There were so few rides offered to test this year they didnít even name the area ďMagical Midway.Ē S&S did offer a chance to ride the four person version of Screaming Swing, which I must say kicks a big punch for such a little ride. It made me very excited about the HUGE versions opening in 2006. There were only 4 other attractions offered outside; a blow up haunted house, a 3-story carousel, a paintball trailer game, and childrenís drop ride.

Inside the rides were limited to ones we got to experience in Orlando. I am not complaining because I always love a chance to ride Disk-o. Just as I expected there was no return of the giant Robo-coaster model and I believe they were not represented at all. Next to tell you about is NOTHING. There wasn't a really exciting new design concept, it was the first year I walked around and didnít go ďOMG that is going to be so cool.Ē Maybe it is because amusement information can be found all over the internet now and nothing is kept secret anymore. It really saddens me that I didnít have a jaw dropping experience like I did when I saw Setpoints booth or rode Fly Away in 1999.

Coaster designers such as B&M gave us no glimpse into 2006 at their booth's. I guess when some designers become a house hold name they donít need to do more then have a car from a coaster they opened in 2005. I give this years show a 2/5 just because it took no imagination when I was looking at displays. The new concepts were few and far between and the only thing that made the outside ride area tolerable was the Screaming Swing. I hope that one day IAAPA will return to the days where there were so many designs you just knew not all of them could be built.

I will try it again on Friday and see if I can see anything I might have skipped over. Good luck to all the venders this weekend especially Black Inc. who is at IAAPA for their first year.

-Bobby

Montu Man
11-16-2005, 06:07 PM
This is the first time in several years I am not going. That sucks that this year's was a dissapointment to you and that there are so few rides offered. I am a bit jealous that they had a Screamin' Swing available over there to ride. Ah, well, there's always next year.

James
11-16-2005, 06:13 PM
Next year it will still be in GA.. You will have to wait till 07 for it to be back in Fl ;)

FLCC Josh
11-16-2005, 06:41 PM
I have gone the last two years here in Fla., and have been fairly impressed both years. Sorry to hear you didn't have a good time. One thing I have to add though and Im sure you know this....IAAPA is not about going to ride stuff, its about everything in the industry. Did you see anything else of interest aside from big name ride designers (games / effects / food / etc...)

Josh

Sir Willow
11-17-2005, 07:27 AM
^ To follow up on Josh's comment- it's not set up for the enthusiasts, or to see what's coming up, or to make announcements or show off necessarily what companies are doing right now. It's all about making sales- showing off a product and getting a company to buy it. That would include everything that Josh mentioned above.

Even the rides, while they offer the free rides, they aren't there for that but rather to show a sample of what that company can offer as a ride experience. They'll use them to show safety features, operation, computer systems, etc. If they have something brand new, they might bring it, but that's not the overall point.

Silly question maybe, but why would a company like B&M be there talking about what they're building in 2006. Isn't that best left up to their clients, the parks, so the parks get the publicity, attention, and benefits from it? Anyone who cares will already know that it's a B&M coaster, but part of the deal with them building is that they're not going to want to steal any of the parks' thunder and attention on those.

I'm sorry you didn't have as good a time as in the past. But remember, IAAPA isn't meant for people like you and me. It's meant for those running and purchasing for the parks.

Johnny Upsidedown
11-17-2005, 09:15 AM
I have to agree that IAAPA is not for the enthusiasts. It is a place for people to do buisness. I have gone the last 4 years and every year I do the same. I dont usually talk to the vendors or I always tell them that I am just here to see the show and generally try not to take up much of there time. I noticed this year that there were less enthusiasts or at least on wednesday it seemed there were less. Anyway this years show was as they allways are. Lots of great stuff to look at but as SIRWILLOW stated its not like the compainies are going to say anything to you about future products. It was kind of cool to see the Voyage car and one of SheiKras trains. Anyway I do have some photos up on my site if you want to take a look.
www.johnnyupsidedown.com
Enjoy

Joseph
11-17-2005, 07:49 PM
I have enjoyed the show thus far. Since I know I won't be buying anything (other than a neat little 'Coasters of PTC' book), generally, I follow the 'don't speak unless spoken to' rule. Most of the people are very nice (the guys from the Gravity Group as well as the gentleman from Maurer Sohne were very cool). Otherwise, I'm just there to take it all in, take a couple of rides, get some FOOD and see some neat little things. I like the special effects booths as much as anything, and its something I've always wanted to do. It's a good diversion for a couple of hours a day.

I had some "rip-off" Dippin' Dots today that were better than the real deal!

I liked the Mondial Rally Cars concept ride, looks promising!

Congrats to the guy from Zamperla who won an award today.

I do agree that this years show doesn't seem to be as ride-abundant as past years, but that's no big deal to me. At least we had a Screamin' Swing to entertain us :)

That's all from me, off to Dollywood for Coasterfest!!

coasterdude28
11-17-2005, 09:32 PM
Are there any pictures of the layouts for the Gerstlauer launched coaster? I am dying to see that.

Great pics Johnny.

Montu Man
11-17-2005, 09:42 PM
I understand how this is definitely not for enthusiasts, as my father has worked for both Intamin and Mack. It's a convention for people in the industry. It's more then just rides and stuff, it is also about food vendors, special effects, shows, theming, etc. But, you guys have to admit, the rides still are awesome to visit while you're there, especially when you can stay on and have no wait.

Joseph
11-17-2005, 09:50 PM
Are there any pictures of the layouts for the Gerstlauer launched coaster? I am dying to see that.

Best I could do:

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/9654/img01825vd.jpg

50 mph top speed, about 2000' of track, kinda reminded me of Italian Job or Powder Keg