PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Revolution and controller

Gemini78
11-28-2005, 08:47 PM
I know there is a lot of controversy out about the Revolution, and specifically about the controller. I personally think the Revolution will be an amazing console, and that the controller will be the real revolution. Just to lay down some ground facts about Nintendo and their controllers before anyone starts going on about how not too many developers are going to like the controller, and how it is stupid, and you can't control a game with a TV remote. Lets review some history, shall we?

-Nintendo introduced the D-Pad way back when it all began, and many thought that would be a bad feature. Now you don't see a controller without one.
-Nintendo introduced the analog stick to gamers with the release of the N64. That was also not received well by gamers. And once again, you don't see a single controller without one, until now.

Just consider those pieces of info, because that is all that really needs to be said about the Revolution's controller. And just for the record, EA has said it is very excited about the controller, as well as Square Enix, Capcom, Hideo Kojima, and Yuji Naka (two of the greatest game designers, behind Miyamoto of course).

Coaster Freak
11-28-2005, 09:06 PM
I'm looking forward to this Nintendo offering and I hope that they can follow through with what they are intending for this system.

On a side note, it was announced today that Nintendo will officially present the revolution to the world at a pre-E3 show next May. Read more here: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6140464.html

Montu Man
11-28-2005, 09:39 PM
I like the Revolution so far. Hopefully they won't turn on us and present a crappy final design in May.

slipknot8527
11-28-2005, 10:24 PM
My view on it is quite simple. Everything in my life is a mere distraction until I get the Revolution in my hands.

trainguy83
11-28-2005, 10:28 PM
im a nintendo fanboy so i will be on the list to get one the day its out yahooo.

Montu Man
11-28-2005, 10:58 PM
I wonder if they will try and do a worldwide launch like Microsoft. I hope not. It doesn't matter too me if Japan gets it first, because if a worldwide llaunch is done, then you have to wait half a year before demand is releived.

w00dland
11-28-2005, 11:38 PM
The controller will take some getting used to, but so far it sounds like a really neat idea. I also heard of another controller you could purchase (basically like a gamecube controller) and that you could actually slide the remote into the other controller to use the analog stick.

I'm mostly excited about old school games available for download.

Bruns
11-29-2005, 12:10 AM
I'm all for it. So very original. Of course, I've always been a hard Nintendo fanboy and I sure as heck aint afraid to admit it.

coasterlove
11-29-2005, 01:39 AM
I'm definitely looking forward to the Revolution. I've had every Nintendo console since their first and a few of their handhelds as well. Sadly, I don't see them regaining the #1 spot and most likely not even #2 but I do hope they're successful and move enough units to still make a big profit and stick around past this next generation.

I like the controller but would like to see not too much emphasis put on it. I'd like to see some new games and ideas utilize it but overall I want most games to be more traditional.

For example, I think the Nintendo DS is great and I love the possibilties of it. But ask me what my favorite game for it is and I'd tell you easily it's Mario Kart which uses very little of the extra features of the DS like the touch screen for example other than map. I think that they do have to stick with what gamers know but at the same time offer a new experience to draw in those who aren't usually gaming on a regular basis.

The only thing that upsets me is that it won't be shown until just before the E3 event. So who knows how long it will be before it's released. I'm sure that most people will know almost all there is to know about the PS3 and of course the Xbox 360 will have been out a solid six months by the time the Revolution is just being shown. I think Nintendo is going to have to put out a very impressive system if they want gamers to consider it with the Xbox 360 out and the PS possibly also launching before it.

Hammy2003
11-29-2005, 02:03 AM
Nintendo may be playing this thing smart. Here's why:

The people who praise the Xbox (360) and PS 2/3 for their mature titles mostly are in their 20's and some 30's. These people remember the feeling of the old school Nintendo products, and will be drawn to the downloadable titles of old.

Having said that, the Xbox 360's "new" will have worn off by the time Nintendo releases the Revolution. Even all the Xbox people are talkin' about the "revolutionary" controller. Everbody, including anti-Nintendo-ans knows that the Big N created all these great ideas for gaming.

As for those who say, "The new controller will either make or break Nintendo," they forget that the GameCube controller can be used, as well as being sold as new, to add on to the newfangled one. The GC's controller is the best one out there now-a-days anyways, IMO. Xbox 360's controller is good ... definitely some subtle improvements over the old one(s).

If Nintendo keeps up the good ideas, as well as embracing the old ones, they'll always be around. The online dealy they'll have going will do really well, I think.

coasterlove
11-29-2005, 04:33 PM
The GC's controller's is the best one out there now-a-days anyways, IMO.

See, that's where most gamers would disagree. Unless someone is borderline fanboy for Nintendo, they might say it's the worst. Now I don't think it's a bad controller by any means but it's certainly not for all types of games. Resident Evil 4 made great use of it and it's also good for other games that don't require a lot of different buttons or more than a couple buttons being used often.

I've heard it's horrible for most fighting games and I could see why. Also people say it's not good for first person shooter games (I wouldn't know or care since I've never been a big FPS fan). Now while neither of these games are common on the 'Cube, they can't be ignored since they're two very popular genres of games.

Personally I like the shape of the controller itself and the button layout can be used effectively for some types of games but not others. It's a good idea for any system to have a controller that can be used for the majority of games. Some people like having all different types of controllers and accessories. Many gamers don't.

Gemini78
11-29-2005, 04:40 PM
Here is the thing with Xbox and the 360: the majority of the buyers of the two systems are Americans, and mainly the ones who play mostly FPSs. Nintendo and Sony on the other hand, both have a strong base in both the US and Japan, as well as with the rest of the world. China was actually causing Nintendo and Sony problems with the scammed versions that were popping up all over the place, as well as being one of the first places that Nintedo tested some new things with the GC. Nintendo will be the company to watch during this generation of consoles, because I believe it will provide its customers with things that Sony, and especially Microsoft, can't or won't.

coolstarwasim
11-29-2005, 04:57 PM
I really liked the original N64 controller. Gamcube one is ok

89magnumxl200
11-29-2005, 06:56 PM
I'm excited about the Revolution. The thing I'm most excited about is the downloadable games. I could get all the old games I love, and ones from systems I don't have (SNES, N64, GBC). The controller is great too, and if they actually make the shotgun add-on, it'll be a must buy for me.

Bencerisback
11-29-2005, 09:54 PM
I think Nintendo needs to get back with Rare. This new controller could help them do that, if Rare sees possibilities. Nintendo needs back games like Perfect Dark and Goldeneye (FPS wise). I don't play video games much, but Goldeneye will always hold a special spot in my heart.

Kingdakasurivor
11-29-2005, 10:01 PM
^^^
especialy Banjo Kazooie that was a game to remember

Gemini78
11-29-2005, 10:07 PM
Goldeneye is still one of the best games ever created in my book. I wish they would make a James Bond game with that great of a multiplayer mode for Revolution.

I've also heard rumors that Bungie may abandon Microsoft and move to the Nintendo Revolution with their FPS experience thanks to the Revolution's controller.

coasterlove
11-30-2005, 01:36 AM
If that rumor (Bungie) were true, that would be huge for Nintendo. Having Halo or even another much heralded FPS from them would drive sales. But....I can't emphasize enough how much I doubt that will happen. Doesn't Microsoft own them or in some way have a contract with them?

rlrcstrfreak
11-30-2005, 03:09 AM
I think that the controler is pretty cool. I like how they go for different, out of the ordinary. When I first saw it a while back I didn't like it, but now I think it will be nice. I mean they arent going to make a controller that isnt comfortable, or hard to use. You wait, I'm sure this will be quite good....

Coaster Freak
11-30-2005, 02:53 PM
JUst a note to some of you, both Rare and Bungie are Microsoft companies under the Microsoft Game Studios umbrella so the odds of them developing games for Sony and Nintendo consoles in the future is pretty slim.