PDA

View Full Version : the worst flatride of all time!

zongaboy626
12-02-2005, 12:25 PM
i just went to a carnival at which i rode a sizzler
This ride is horrible!
Its just so...so... Painful!
Oh my thigh hurts just talking about it!
I mean i can take a scrambler but not a sizzler oh hell no not again!

what do you guys think?

Sir Willow
12-02-2005, 12:47 PM
I think that if you've just experienced a sizzler for the first time (which really isn't any different than a scrambler), then you need to get out and experience a heck of a lot more rides. :)

Worst flat? Maybe the kangaroo style ride made by ARM (Cypress Gardens has one) With it's rapid changes, it rides like a chiropractic device. Didn't like it at all. Otherwise it's rare for me not to like a flat ride.

Hank
12-02-2005, 01:17 PM
CP's Cedar Downs USED to be a great ride, but now that it goes SO SLOW, it's nothing more than a merry-go-round without vertical poles through the horses. Yup, it sucks like a Hoover!

Leo C
12-02-2005, 01:47 PM
There was an older scrambler ride from another generation at Williams Grove Park that was just killing my neck. If I was a shorter person I'd be able to use the neck support but the ride was ripping my neck!

Wes
12-02-2005, 01:57 PM
If this http://www.flatrides.com/Ride%20Index/WisdomSizzler.jpg is what you are talking about, it doesn't look like more than a knock off of a scrambler.

zongaboy626
12-02-2005, 02:27 PM
it hurts like a b***h!

Zingoman
12-02-2005, 02:33 PM
The Sizzler rides are SO SO SO SO much faster than a Scrambler. Here is what I don't understand. Scramblers have a pad on the inside of the car for the help of the person on the end not to be mushed against the side. The Sizzlers, which produce about 5 times as much force, do not have padding ANYWHERE in the cars! I can handle them only if I am the only person in the car, but if the ride cycle is long enough, my neck gets very tired from trying to hold my head upright. I found it best to ride alone, and to lean very far to the inside. It helps take the strain off of your neck, and it puts a butt cheek against the side of the car, rather than a hip-bone. The only time I ride them now, is if I am with an unsuspecting friend who thinks it is just a traditional Scrambler. Tee hee. The reactions to the higher speed are sometimes quite funny.

Dukeis#1
12-03-2005, 02:56 AM
In my experience, I've found that Sizzlers are actually less intense than Eli Scramblers.

Sizzlers use hydraulic driven tires to propel themselves, whereas Scramblers use cog drives. Because of this, Sizzlers don't accelerate near as fast as Scramblers do. (Particularly if the tires on a Sizzler have too much wear on them)

cannonballer
12-03-2005, 03:13 AM
The Sizzler rides are SO SO SO SO much faster than a Scrambler. Here is what I don't understand. Scramblers have a pad on the inside of the car for the help of the person on the end not to be mushed against the side. The Sizzlers, which produce about 5 times as much force, do not have padding ANYWHERE in the cars! I can handle them only if I am the only person in the car, but if the ride cycle is long enough, my neck gets very tired from trying to hold my head upright. I found it best to ride alone, and to lean very far to the inside. It helps take the strain off of your neck, and it puts a butt cheek against the side of the car, rather than a hip-bone. The only time I ride them now, is if I am with an unsuspecting friend who thinks it is just a traditional Scrambler. Tee hee. The reactions to the higher speed are sometimes quite funny.

Yes they are faster. at least the one at the strawberry festival here in tennessee is. BUT it has padding though, I cant imagine riding it without padding. It was like that glittery plastic padding, you know like on old bass boats. But yeah they are faster, alot faster.

Zingoman
12-03-2005, 03:17 AM
^ That glittery plastic was not padding in Oklahoma. It was just as hard as the body of the car. Ouch ouch!

Tanks4me05
12-03-2005, 08:03 AM
In my experience, I've found that Sizzlers are actually less intense than Eli Scramblers.

Sizzlers use hydraulic driven tires to propel themselves, whereas Scramblers use cog drives. Because of this, Sizzlers don't accelerate near as fast as Scramblers do. (Particularly if the tires on a Sizzler have too much wear on them)

I never rode a Sizzler before, but yeah those Eli's are intense (referring to Sylvan Beach's model) Anyway, probably the worst flat ride (pain wise) is Sylvan Beach's Bomber. The first time I rode it back in 2003, I made the mistake of riding with someone, and my thigh was pushed so hard againt the metal inside of the doors, blood vessels broke. But in one of the seats it has a good view of Galaxi when it reaches the top. Anyway, I now have learned to ride alone and Ihave to hold on as hard as I can to keep myself from ramming into the sides and bruising my thighs. (Apparently, Eyerly Aircraft Company didn't know that comfort and intense rides could mix back in 1939) yet I still ride it once every visit to the park.

RCTfan
12-03-2005, 02:09 PM
Sir Willow, when I saw this topic title, that is the ride I immediately thought of. The Kanagroo thing at Cypress Gardens was god awful. Worst of all, it just wouldn't end! UGH. Worse thing ever.

slnewbus
12-03-2005, 04:00 PM
Theres about 3 I can think of. Magic Carpets, monsters, and revolutions. All are really bad.

nickolas_adam69
12-03-2005, 04:19 PM
by far the worst flat ride ive ever been on was a gravitron. i used to love them, but the carnie who opperated it made my ride last for at least six minutes. i for one think it was very unsafe as the ride can pull over 4gs. hell i almost blacked out.

Bencerisback
12-03-2005, 07:30 PM
by far the worst flat ride ive ever been on was a gravitron. i used to love them, but the carnie who opperated it made my ride last for at least six minutes. i for one think it was very unsafe as the ride can pull over 4gs. hell i almost blacked out.

What up im from omaha too!

I love that thunderhawk, so i gotta disagree with your choice of gravitron/top spin. I think that the worst kind is probably bumper cars, i hate them. They are sooo boring and i hate hitting people and then when they smile at you it makes you feel pretty gay. However, last time i went to Adventureland we went for this one lady who lookeed really funny...that was the best time ive ever had on bumper cars.

Zingoman
12-03-2005, 09:31 PM
^I think is not talking about top spins. I believe he meant a Gravitron, Starship 2000, Space Ship to Mars type of ride. What Topspin have you ever ridden that can pull four G's? Yikes! ;)

James R
12-04-2005, 03:19 AM
Actually, I have agree with y'all and say that those Sizzlers do go faster then those Scramblers. The fair nearby me has a Scrambler (but didn't have it out last year) and I rode it, and I enjoyed the speed. It's a huge contrast between the Runaway Rickshaws that were at AW (and now will be at oT) which were a meager gliding speed. I remember having to pull myself and hold on, for the sake of not getting crushed by my riding partner.

Worst Flat? Bumper cars give me whiplash, but if that Kangaroo ride is the ride we have at our fair (Jet something or other) and you hear sharp air tanks everytime the machine shifts its arms, then I can agree that that ride is one bad mother. It hurt.

pipesdrums
12-04-2005, 11:41 AM
Any spinning teacup ride, they are just boring.

I also think the old looping starships are pretty bad as well. The ride itself isn't bad, or shouldn't be, but the restraints make it bad. The HARD horsecollars curve down into your rib cage and are very heavy, so they just keep digging down into your further and further. It really hurts when you are hanging upside down and leaning into them. The lap bars are also bad as they squish everything below the waist.

divster
12-04-2005, 04:14 PM
They are not that painful

VekomahangNbang
12-04-2005, 04:41 PM
Any spinning teacup ride, they are just boring.

I have to agree with you there.

Bencerisback
12-04-2005, 06:35 PM
I am not a fan of Himalayas.

Zombo
12-04-2005, 11:21 PM
I also think the old looping starships are pretty bad as well. The ride itself isn't bad, or shouldn't be, but the restraints make it bad. The HARD horsecollars curve down into your rib cage and are very heavy, so they just keep digging down into your further and further. It really hurts when you are hanging upside down and leaning into them. The lap bars are also bad as they squish everything below the waist.

Ugh, and those things seem to take half an hour to load. I usually avoid the traditional looping starships. Zamperla Hawks, on the other hand, are one of my most favorite flats. :D

My least favorite flats are probably Roundups. Those are the only rides that really bother my stomach.

Tanks4me05
12-05-2005, 03:21 PM
Ugh, and those things seem to take half an hour to load. I usually avoid the traditional looping starships. Zamperla Hawks, on the other hand, are one of my most favorite flats. :D

My least favorite flats are probably Roundups. Those are the only rides that really bother my stomach.

Those don't bother me at all. The only ride that made me sick to my stomach was Sylvan Beach's Tip Top, but that's only when the extreme heat aggravates it (90+ degrees)

coasterqueen
12-06-2005, 10:37 AM
Fly-O-Plane. Ugh. I had bruises.... horrible bruises from the one at Lake Winnie.

I am also not a huge bumper car fan, but I DO love bumper boats.

Let's see....the Kamikazes and Round-Ups are pretty evil.

Other than that I can tolerate any flat ride.

Zingoman
12-06-2005, 11:53 AM
I like all the old vintage rides, including the ones that leave you some minor bruising. I guess I'm a freak because I kind of like rides that toss you around alittle bit. I just don't like it when rides have metal stabbing you with no padding.

Roll-O-Planes are a good example. I LOVE them, but I hate that the metal piece where they adjust the seatbelt digs into the top of your leg.

The Kangaroo ride referred to above I'm pretty sure is called Hurricane where I am from, and yes, the laterals on there are killer annoying, the lap bar kills your leg, and it's hard to hold up your head. The newer versions called Downdraft are better because they have OTSRs that you can rest your head against. Although they are not padded, they are the lesser of two evils.

Sir Willow
12-06-2005, 06:19 PM
Finally looked it up. It's called the Mega Bounce, and it's made by ARM. Yes, it uses the air tanks to propel the arms up and down.

Got a couple of so-so pictuers of it here:
http://sirwillow.smugmug.com/photos/40002661-M.jpg
http://sirwillow.smugmug.com/photos/40002748-M.jpg

Alon
12-10-2005, 03:39 PM
You should go ride a Breakdance ride ... this will change your mind.

Sir Willow
12-10-2005, 04:05 PM
Been on them, and love them. Nothing wrong with a Breakdance or a Rodeo.

Brian F
12-11-2005, 11:53 PM
I'm no big fan of Himalayas, either. I also thought that Flight Commander (I think that was the name) at PKI was fairly wretched, even before it killed someone.

SFOT Source
12-12-2005, 12:06 AM
I'm anxious about the Rodeo attraction Six Flags Over Texas is getting next year. Nearly all of the comments I've gotten from people are positive things about the ride.

Top_Gunslinger
12-13-2005, 01:07 AM
I hate sky divers at fairs........Last time i rode it i got beat up from it. I hate Round-ups and bumper cars also, but i can stand Orbiters (known as the sizzler on steriods) Kimakaze's, Breakdances and my all time favorite Evolutions, and Fireballs

CoasterGuy210
04-02-2006, 04:34 AM
I like all flats but my least enjoyable experiences are when the ride cycle is TOO long...other than that I would have to say the High Roller but i havne't seen it anywhere in a LONG time

SFKK GUY
04-02-2006, 08:56 PM
Scat 2. Beech Bend. In the sun. Spinning so fan, the sun glaring down, my eyelids became ingraved into my cheeks, heck there were even tears when it was over. It was horrible...

But I'd ride it again at night? Anyone have any pleasent rides on the scat 2? And where is the original SCAT?

BGWfanatic
04-02-2006, 09:18 PM
I dislike wipeouts, Its one of the few flats that make me feel sick and it hurts after awhile.

Fastdawg07
04-02-2006, 09:25 PM
I don't like Chaos at Cedar Point (i don't know what type of flat it is). Its really uncomfortable and not very fun at all. There are sometimes when you're upside down for 10 to 15 seconds and all the blood rushes to your head and you have a headache afterwards. Its not very fun.

We're all naming small flats though. What about the big ones like the Frisbees or Drop Towers? Anybody not care for those, or is it unanimous that they are all awesome? IMO, they're all awesome, but that's just me.

James
04-03-2006, 01:30 AM
I don't like Chaos at Cedar Point (i don't know what type of flat it is).
Chaos at CP... Is a Chance "chaos".

bk2004
04-03-2006, 01:42 AM
Oh I remember this type of ride. About two years ago I rode this at a small fair up from my town, BY MYSELF! It went so much faster than an ordinary scrambler and it seemed like they ran it twice as long! I couldn't wait to get off this thing!