PDA

View Full Version : Sudoku

Cuddy
12-11-2005, 01:22 PM
http://www.sudoku.org.uk/
http://www.sudoku.com

It's something I have started seeing in newspapers in the comics sections. Generally you have the Jumble puzzle, crossword and wonderword. Solving a puzzle, they say, takes anywhere from 10-30 minutes, depending on your skill level. I'm still working on Friday's puzzle.

Bencerisback
12-11-2005, 01:55 PM
They've added the Sudoku to my hometown's newspaper. I try and do it every day, I almost got a 5 star but found out it was wrong with one number left. I think they are fun and challenging.

Ryan F
12-11-2005, 02:08 PM
The free newspaper I read to work had them all the time. I used to do them on the way to work, usually solving them in under the 13 minute time limit.

coasterdude28
12-11-2005, 02:12 PM
They are fun but can get annoying. I always get to the last few boxes and realize it doesn't work.

Diesel
12-11-2005, 03:19 PM
I don't understand what the challenge is.

It's a 3x3 box, must fill each with numbers 1-9, three are already filled.

If you know your numbers up to nine, what's the challenge?

bk2004
12-11-2005, 03:26 PM
/\ Not only do you have to fill in the 3x3 boxes with 1-9, the rows and collums have to contain 1-9. That's the challenge.

I do these at work often when I get bored or when it's slow. The bartender makes me do them. He'll do it first in 15 minutes as an answer key and then I'll do it and he keeps checking over me. It's pretty fun.

Worm
12-11-2005, 04:09 PM
They've added this game to almost everthing book, newspaper and magazines in South Africa!

steel
12-11-2005, 05:09 PM
I'm obsessed with these. I did one online and I couldn't stop.
The trick is to pencil in any numbers that one box could be in the corner. That way it's nearly impossible to get it wrong.

www.websudoku.com

SFGadvKing
12-11-2005, 05:23 PM
i do them pretty often. sometimes i print them out and do them during some boring classes.

Diesel
12-11-2005, 05:46 PM
So I followed the rules on this thing...why is it telling me I've made mistakes.

coasterdude28
12-11-2005, 05:51 PM
Well the first thing I saw wrong with it was in the second column.(up and down) There are two fours. I did not look for any other mistakes.

The rules are:
Every 3x3 box must contain 1-9.
Every column must contain 1-9.
Every Row much contain 1-9.

None of them can have the same number twice.

SFGadvKing
12-11-2005, 07:24 PM
not only does the second column have two 4's but the second row also has two 4's

edit: now that i look at it longer, there are multiple 4's in many rows and columns

CP Maverick
12-11-2005, 07:53 PM
Some of the people at work have gone so far as to buying the hand held digital version. *rolleyes* I started getting bored once I could solve them in the 10-20 minute timeframe... then went back to my NL formulas :)

Diesel
12-11-2005, 09:07 PM
I see.

For some reason when you said every row and column, I was thinking the perimeter only.

James R
12-12-2005, 12:15 AM
We do these at school when we get really bored. All of us get angry when we can't finish them and we throw them in the air... I find these fun...

Martin
12-12-2005, 06:59 AM
My chemistry teacher gave these to us on Friday for a little friendly competition.

CP Maverick
12-12-2005, 08:51 PM
It's really quite simple. It's just a logic puzzle, you can replace the #s with any assortment of 9 different figures. If you're going to use the "write in the corner of each square" technique, use the row, column, or box that has the most numbers in place already. That way you don't end up with like 6 possible numbers in each place and have to erase everything to see.

Examples:

1. You have 6 numbers placed across a row. Use those 6 numbers to figure what belongs in the other 3 squares in that row. Those numbers will be the ONLY possible numbers for those squares even if the column or box says others can go there (yes, that is possible)

2. You have 5 numbers in a single box. Use those 5 to determine the placement of the other 4 in that box disregarding the possibilities coming from a corresponding row or column.

3. Column, same procedure.

Also, what I like to do is count how many of each number I have to start with, and work my way down that list looking for "must be" placement before I do the other techniques. If that doesn't work, you can help me write my force-derived NL Elementary equations. :)