PDA

View Full Version : Best Satellite Radio Service

RidePhoto101
12-18-2005, 12:52 AM
So what is everyone's favorite satellite radio service?

I tried both services online for about a month before deciding on XM, mainly because of Opie & Anthony and MLB. I also found their music stations to have a deeper playlist so there is less repetition. At the time XM was also $3 cheaper than Sirius, although I subscribed to Opie & Anthony at $1.99/mo. so it was only really $1 cheaper.

XM has since gone to $12.95/mo., but Opie & Anthony became free instead of a premium channel. I prepaid a year at $9.99 before the price increase, so the price increase really saved me $1.99/mo. because O&A became free.

These are what I see as the advantages to each service:

XM Satellite Radio:
Major League Baseball
Opie & Anthony / Ron & Fez on High Voltage
NASCAR (not for me but for others)
College Football & Basketball including BCS bowl games
Tony Kornheiser
Bob Edwards
National Hockey League
Less DJ chatter on music stations

Sirius Satellite Radio:
National Football League
Howard Stern (1 free station, 2 premium stations)
National Basketball Association
Select College Basketball Games with complete March Madness coverage

April_fool_79
12-18-2005, 02:33 AM
NASCAR is moving to Sirius in 2007. Radio Margaritaville is on Sirius, too. When I finally get off my tush and get one, I'm getting Sirius.

Cuddy
12-18-2005, 02:42 AM
Nah, no thanks. I like my free radio. I get all my sports coverage I need from one station in Cleveland. I get my college sports from another in Akron. And I rarely listen to music on the radio, so satellite would be nothing but a burden.

TopSpinJay
12-18-2005, 02:42 AM
I listened to both much like RidePhoto... I went for XM because it has more listenership in members seems more stable and has a good indepth playlist on stations that fit me. i for one don't realy listen to talk radio regardless. as for Sirius, it has alot more catchen up to do to become stable like XM and get a programming profit. Stern is a good start, but they will need to do more then that. i was reading reports that Sirius is atleast 2 years out from being outta the hole.

regular radio is just too much playin the same stuff over and over and over and then your subject to commercials for 10 minutes... i've been playin internet radio at home and playin cd's in the car. now i just turn on XM online (which you get for free when you subscribe) in the house and have the reciver in the car.

Ryan F
12-18-2005, 02:47 AM
I don't believe in paying for things that come free. I am very happy listening to Edge 102.1 (great music, great give aways, so what if there's commericals) or my launch station (I actually have a pretty good playlist after about a year of rating).

Diesel
12-18-2005, 11:40 AM
Stern has two free stations on Sirius, I've never heard of this premium station of his. I've never even heard of premium stations on Sirius for anything.

I chose Sirius. Mostly for Howard Stern and Hair Nation.

Brian P
12-18-2005, 11:54 AM
I don't believe in paying for things that come free.

Its said over and over again, but I guess you don't have cable television then? If you can get it free over the air, why pay for cable?

I do a lot of driving for work and have loved my XM. Having no commercials (like Sirius) on music stations is awesome. Also having the talk stations available when I want that is great too. And not having to find new stations when I drive from here to school (or even to work or across the country for that matter) makes it worth it. And now that they both have the option of listening online for no extra cost, I can listen in from my dorm room.

Hopefully this debate won't get too heated....but personally I'm an XM fan.

Martin
12-18-2005, 11:56 AM
My dad recently upgraded his 2004 VW Passat to the 2006 model. They gave us an XM offer for 3 free months, so we took the deal and are enjoy the commercial-free stations. If we decide that we don't want to pay the amount per month we can cancel the subscription and have still had 3 months for free.

Ryan F
12-18-2005, 02:42 PM
Its said over and over again, but I guess you don't have cable television then? If you can get it free over the air, why pay for cable?
I dont pay the cable bill;)
Plus, we get digital cable for free because my step-dad works for the Fan 590 (sports radio station) so they pay for our digital cable so we can watch all the sport channels.

Cid
12-18-2005, 03:12 PM
I don't pay for cable and I wouldn't pay for any sat radio service. I don't see the need when I can burn a MP3 cd for my car and listen to 10 hours of music I know I like.

Diesel
12-18-2005, 04:44 PM

Or these other items that have free alternatives, yet people pay for their own, or a slightly different version, or one of higher quality:

Water
Coffee
Food
Movie Rentals
DVDs
CDs
Computers
Butter/Jelly/Ketchup/Mustard/Mayonnaise/Salt/Pepper
Sex
Napkins
Silverware
Soap
Furniture
Or one of a million items for free here - http://freecycle.org/

RidePhoto101
12-18-2005, 11:54 PM
I got a promo code the other day from the XM store, they are giving away a free Roady XT or Audiovox XCS9 if you prepay 3 months of service at the time of purchase. This came from this week's Opie & Anthony (FoundryMusic.com) newsletter.

The deal is good through December 31, and you can get free shipping guaranteed to arrive by December 24 if you order by Monday night. The deal is good at the XM Radio Online Store (http://partners.xmradio.com) by using promo code OPIANTXM6.

Just thought I'd pass it along for anyone that's looking for a last minute gift idea and doesn't care about Stern:rolleyes:.

Coaster Freak
12-19-2005, 07:54 AM
I can't necessarily choose one over the other since my Mazda only supports Sirius and I have had it now for a couple of months and wouldn't switch back. I'm pretty sure that the services are fairly similar but I really don't know much about XM.

Carowinds 73-03
12-19-2005, 08:18 AM
I like Sirius. I had XM for a few months then switched over to sirius when the entire family did and have enjoyed it much better than XM.

Brian P
12-19-2005, 08:34 AM
They both have their plusses and weaknesses, but I feel like everyone who has switched to either service doesn't look back. I'm not a picky person, so I'd probably like both services, but I have XM right now and love it...so I see no reason to change.