PDA

View Full Version : The Future of Dollywood Entertainment

tntornadox
01-02-2006, 12:09 AM
Hello Friends! Long time, no see, nor hear.

I am wondering what you all believe the direction of Dollywood will be?

It is no secret that Dollywood and its Splash Country are the most attended theme parks in the Herschend Family chain. It has become more apparent with its most recent additions and its continued success. Dollywood is finally getting the attention it deserves from HFEC, who is no longer focused entirely on SDC & CCity it seems.

I believe that Dollywood will continue to expand for years to come. The park has at its possession a good number of acres that were bought on the cheap looooooooong before Dolly's name was stamped onto the place. I believe the park will surge forward with brand new ideas, rides, themes, "lands", and new experiences.

I also think the park will at the same time go back to its roots, if you will and expand its entertainment department to 90's glory; and also update some of its customer service flaws (Yes, they DO exist, just hard to find ;)).

Middle Creek Rd. (Long known as the "back way" into Dollywood) is currently being expanded from a 2 lane to a 6 lane highway by the state, in an effort to help ease traffic on the parkway. I believe Dollywood will take advantage of this increased traffic and the expansion that is sure to follow by adding several new venues on this new "strip".

I can see a "Dollywood Hotel" themed around the classic SDC-ish theme of mountain life in the 1800's. This hotel would rival and perhaps surpass Disney in terms of design, comfort, theme, and service. Perhaps even an indoor waterpark to go with this hotel, themed to the ol' swimmin' hole; since those are all the rage these days and offer hotels something to offer in the cold winter months.

A Dollywood sponsored shopping plaza is not too far stretched. Providing all members of the family with something to do, from shopping, to movies, to clubs, theaters, and several different entertainment options.

And finally, am I the only one who thinks a second gated theme park is on its way? (THEME Park, DSC is a WATER park, and as thus isnt the 2nd gate im speaking of) If you agree, what theme should this radical new park have? What should it offer in ways of entertainment and rides?

With all this expansion, maybe some form of transport system (buses) that would transport guests from all over the complex to the hotel(s) and vice versa. Also provide a link to Knoxville's McGhee Tyson Airport.

There is enough public there to support all of these expansion plans, as you should all know if you have been to DW in the past 2-3 years (Crowds can get AWFUL).

Let's hear your opinions on the future of Dollywood or the ideas discussed here.

Wes
01-02-2006, 09:44 AM
Well Dolly said she's going to invest $30MM in the next 10 years, so yeah they are going to keep investing a lot.

Komatz70
01-02-2006, 10:21 AM
I dont think they will be adding all that...Dollywood is a small family theme park, not Disney...things I would like to see...A hotel with indoor waterpark ( get Great Wolf Lodge to do it), add some flats and build a coaster. Maybe even put something with the Dolly on it located at Stone Mountain( same company)

Dukeis#1
01-02-2006, 07:53 PM
With all the new development in Pigeon Forge like Belle Island and the Pigeon Falls resort, Dollywood will really have to step up to the plate over the next several years if it wants to stay on top of tourism in the area.

I feel that Dollywood will grow in the fashion that Hersheypark has. I think that there will eventually be some sort of Dollywood Hotel, since Dolly has talked about building one for years, and Jack Herschend brought it up last Spring at the 20th Anniversary celebration. Maybe something like The Wilderness at Silver Dollar City as well.

I think it would be great if the live entertainment was brought back up to old standards.

No doubt that there are many new attractions planned, since like bgwfreak pointed out, a lot of money is going to be put into the park's growth over the next several years.

Plus, back in the Spring the Knoxville Sentinel said that Dollywood hopes to get its attendance up to 4 million over the next decade, so obviously HFEC and Dolly have many ideas for the future.

RidePhoto101
01-02-2006, 08:06 PM
I don't know if I see Dollywood ever hitting the 4 million mark, but with a lot of work I could see it in the 3-3.3 million as a feasible goal if they added more attractions to the park, at least one quality 400-500 room "resort" hotel outside of the park, and the rest of the area grows with it. The biggest problem with being located in the mountains is that travel is h*ll in the winter and getting to a major indoor waterpark resort in the winter would be very difficult any time it snowed.

HPStormRunner22
01-02-2006, 10:27 PM
Havn't talked to you in a while, Curt. I can see Dollywood expanding very closely to how you think it might. The park is already in a huge tourist area with the Great Smokey Mountain NP being right next door. Travel rates are rising so the Smokeys will be getting more visits which means more people will also make a stop at Dollywood. The park has evolved past being based around shows I beleive and is now making efforts to become a great park for the whole family. The 2006 expansion is a prime example of that. Topple tower for thrills and the play area for kids.

I love DW
09-03-2006, 04:17 PM
Wow alot of speculation nice. By the way to clear some numbers up hear Dolly said in 2005: Over the next three years they will spend $30 million so that's by 2008. Over the next 20 years $160 million. And as for attendance she said they hope to reach double of what they had at the time which was 2.25 million so that would mean they want to have 4.5 million visitors a year. And of course Dolly wants to add a hotel. And all of this is supposed to be done by 2025.

SheikraTTD
09-03-2006, 05:14 PM
WOW, Cedar Point only gets 3 million a year! 4.5 is alot of people! How can they possibly say the budget for the next 20 years?

I love DW
09-03-2006, 05:25 PM
It's just projection of what they want to happen. But since 2004 Dollywood has gotten 50,000 more people a year. And the difference between Dollywood and Cedar Point is Dollywood is open from April to Dec. where as Cedar point is only open May thru Oct. And Dollywood's open more days in Sept. and Oct. than Cedar Point. And when you calculate it if they keep increasin 50,000 every year for 20 years that right there is one million. So really I don't think it will be hard because when Mystery Mine comes in 2007 they will probably see more than the normal 50,000 increase. So big attraction years will see even more. Plus Dollywood is within a days drive of 2/3 of the country's population so with gas prices like the are it actually drives more people to Dollywood. So I can definetly see them reaching these goals if not even passing there goals.

MAVERICK 2007
09-03-2006, 05:59 PM
YEAH i agree Dollywood should reach there goals. Its a great park and it reminds me a lot like Holiday Word because they add a wooden coaster and then the attendance booms. they always add rides every year and they add water slides all the time too!

I love DW
09-03-2006, 07:16 PM
Plus the have something for everyone in the family which makes people return. Coasters for big kids, small rides for little kids, family rides, tons of shops for the women, shows for people not into the rides or for a rainy day and then you have the crafts which appeal to most 35 and up. So really that's what makes people return is everyone in the family can be stasified. The big coasters bring them in the first time but I think most of the time the family keeps them returning. Which you definetly have to have the returning crowd to survive.

Michael C
09-04-2006, 02:16 PM
i like the idea of a Hotel I think they will help theme reach there goal. if they can make it easier to come and stay. that will increase the number of malty day visitors.

I though am a camper and would like to see a campground on site as well. also To make staying at the location better. they should go the Disney rout and offer an early entrance with specific rides open. Also have a custom entrance. to increase that VIP feeling.

The Downtown/city walk idea is a good idea. that way older visitors can continue to have fun after the park closes.

as for a second park. Don't see it happening but I wouldn't mind an American theme. have the themed areas different locations in the US. California Surfer theme, New England Colonial (grate place for a dark ride), Vegas (major thrill rides), White sands NM (new age rides area 51/military theme), things of that nature.

I love DW
09-04-2006, 09:51 PM
^The camping idea I don't think would be too bad because Silver Dollar City has a camp ground so they would alreay know how to run one.

As for the Downtown/city walk idea that could possibly happen. But I don't think they would add all the night clubs and things. Because they are all about family and alchoal and dance clubs are not very family oreinted, because the whole Herschend company is all about family nothing they own singles out the adults. So the Downtown/city walk is probably the hardest thing for me too see them adding.

Dukeis#1
09-05-2006, 07:19 PM
The park had a campground back in the Silver Dollar City Tennessee days - It was located where the employee parking lot is now. The swimming pool was where Red's Diner currently is.

The campground was closed after the 1985 season in order to make room for the new parking lot as the park became Dollywood. There is a blurp about it in the 1985 brochure (http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y31/holtskee/sdc85b.jpg).

cannonballer
09-05-2006, 10:43 PM
i like the idea of a Hotel I think they will help theme reach there goal. if they can make it easier to come and stay. that will increase the number of malty day visitors.

I though am a camper and would like to see a campground on site as well. also To make staying at the location better. they should go the Disney rout and offer an early entrance with specific rides open. Also have a custom entrance. to increase that VIP feeling.

The Downtown/city walk idea is a good idea. that way older visitors can continue to have fun after the park closes.

as for a second park. Don't see it happening but I wouldn't mind an American theme. have the themed areas different locations in the US. California Surfer theme, New England Colonial (grate place for a dark ride), Vegas (major thrill rides), White sands NM (new age rides area 51/military theme), things of that nature.

I am a camper too and a campground would be great!!! Especially in that area where it is close to the natiuonal park and a lot of people camp!

Sandy W
09-06-2006, 07:35 AM
Yes you can add me to the list for a great big thumbs up on the campground idea. I camp at least once a month April-Nov It saves tons of money when you travel plus some campgrounds are in lovely settings. The Smokies would be one ideal area although I know there are tons of camprounds around there. Maybe they could go for both a hotel and a campground.

Michael C
09-06-2006, 04:02 PM
The Hotel and Campground was my goal. Like I mentioned before if you offer a VIP early entrance it would encourage people to stay with you over other Hotels and campgrounds in the area.

I love DW
09-06-2006, 08:26 PM
The park had a campground back in the Silver Dollar City Tennessee days - It was located where the employee parking lot is now. The swimming pool was where Red's Diner currently is.

The campground was closed after the 1985 season in order to make room for the new parking lot as the park became Dollywood. There is a blurp about it in the 1985 brochure (http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y31/holtskee/sdc85b.jpg).
That's kind of funny the did "arrive after three next day free" even in 1985. So that's a pretty old discount. I knew it had been there since I have been going to Dollywood (1991). But I didn't know it was that old.

^And yes early hours is good to offer people that stay at the hotels. But don't forget that is more host that you have to pay and that means the more it will cost to stay there. Plus at 8 a.m. it is still pretty chilly and alot of stuff is still being done to get ready for the day. So I'm not to sure it would be too good in the long run for them. But it would be nice if they had a full resort hotel. That included a indoor/outdoor pool, spa, hot tub, sauna, gym, lazy river, and one or two water slides.

cannonballer
09-07-2006, 04:41 AM
Yes you can add me to the list for a great big thumbs up on the campground idea. I camp at least once a month April-Nov It saves tons of money when you travel plus some campgrounds are in lovely settings. The Smokies would be one ideal area although I know there are tons of camprounds around there. Maybe they could go for both a hotel and a campground.

Exactly , 5 nights in destin - 100 bucks camping plus price of cook your own food. - 750 for decent hotel plus eating out!

Dollwood NEEDS a campground, a themed campground! With activities and such! maybe enterpritive programs about envroment and nature conservation! They could even move the eagle sanctuary there!!!

CoasterGuy210
09-07-2006, 11:46 AM
I wouldn't say they NEED one...plenty of people go camping around Dollywood in smaller areas than PF and then just take a day trip. It would be cool if they had one, but needing one is overexagerating.

bk2004
09-07-2006, 04:25 PM
Whatever they decide, an official Dollywood "sleeping corders" will be built...whether it be a big fancy hotel with indoor waterpark or a campground...or both. You know they will, the park is getting too big and successful not for one. Even all the hotels they have in Pigeon Forge sell it nowdays....its just crazy

I love DW
09-07-2006, 06:14 PM
I think what would be a great idea is for Dollywood to build a entertainment type district. A place where you can go after Dollywood and Dollywood's Splash Country. A place that would have a big hotel, about 75 shops, maybe two miniature golf courses, and maybe even build a new Dixie Stampede to anchore the whole thing. Because really as more tourist come Dixie Stampede really needs more than 1,000 seats because during peak season they can have up to five shows daily. The most I have ever seen in one day was four but they can have five. This would be a good idea because it could get Dixie Stampede away from the rundown looking Family Inn next door, and really make it look nice. They could even build another theater and house a new show like James Rogers and Company or rent the theater out.

Michael C
09-07-2006, 06:44 PM
That's kind of funny the did "arrive after three next day free" even in 1985. So that's a pretty old discount. I knew it had been there since I have been going to Dollywood (1991). But I didn't know it was that old.

^And yes early hours is good to offer people that stay at the hotels. But don't forget that is more host that you have to pay and that means the more it will cost to stay there. Plus at 8 a.m. it is still pretty chilly and alot of stuff is still being done to get ready for the day. So I'm not to sure it would be too good in the long run for them. But it would be nice if they had a full resort hotel. That included a indoor/outdoor pool, spa, hot tub, sauna, gym, lazy river, and one or two water slides.

Dollywood opens at 9 am? for some reason i was thinking they opened at 10. anyways I'm not talking the entire park. a few key rides. that way they can hit the major attractions early opening up the rest of the day for other attractions and shows. Say Timber tower, Thunderhead, The kids area in that area, Tennessee twister, and maybe one other attraction.

Disney dose it and they don't open ever ride it's only like a half dozen attractions. and being connected and if the experience is good enough they can charge a little more and it would be worth it. I normally pay 50 a night to stay at Disney's Fort wilderness. If I wanted to I could pay upwards a hundred and have cable hookups, close access to all the entertainment area, and slightly larger sites. and those area fill up. so you always have people willing to pay it.

The after 3 deal doesn't sound as great to me. a number of local parks near me. the after 3 price is a ticket good for the rest of the season not just the next day. and if you go late in the season it the rest of that season and the next year.

I love DW
09-07-2006, 06:54 PM
^Starting at the opening of KidsFest till the end and on alot of Saturdays Dollywood is open from 9 - 8.

About the attractions in the morning there is vehicles still at Dollywood unloading things and golf carts and such so they would have to start even earlier. And opening the Tennessee Tornado isn't too good of an idea because it is all the way at the top end of the park about 1 mile from the front entrance and on your way up the walk way splits and only one side could be open because half of it would be closed because you walk through a leather shop and there tarps would be down. And really that's about all that up there except Daredevil Falls and Blazing Fury. But yes the Thunderhead area idea would be good if that opened up extra hours for guest and I would love getting to go in an hour or so before every one else. But the park opens thrity minutes early to guest already so the can eat breakfest while the rides and shows start.

Do you mean at local parks when you buy a one day ticket after 3p.m. you get the entire season for free? Wow that's huge discount that's a season pass for the price of a one day ticket. What theme parks do you live close to? Dollywood's clossest deal to that is a season pass which is less than the price of two one day tickets. So you pay for about one and a half days and get 9 months to enjoy it. Plus if you purchase a season pass in Nov. or Dec. you get the next year for free.

Michael C
09-07-2006, 07:35 PM
^Starting at the opening of KidsFest till the end and on alot of Saturdays Dollywood is open from 9 - 8.

About the attractions in the morning there is vehicles still at Dollywood unloading things and golf carts and such so they would have to start even earlier. And opening the Tennessee Tornado isn't too good of an idea because it is all the way at the top end of the park about 1 mile from the front entrance and on your way up the walk way splits and only one side could be open because half of it would be closed because you walk through a leather shop and there tarps would be down. And really that's about all that up there except Daredevil Falls and Blazing Fury. But yes the Thunderhead area idea would be good if that opened up extra hours for guest and I would love getting to go in an hour or so before every one else. But the park opens thrity minutes early to guest already so the can eat breakfest while the rides and shows start.

I was just trying to put out some of the larger rides. but even a half hour 45 minutes would be enough times to get on a few attractions. othe rposiblititys coudl be some VIP extras perhaps some prefered seatign at shows. Being able to researve a seat before the park opens for s certaind time.

Do you mean at local parks when you buy a one day ticket after 3p.m. you get the entire season for free? Wow that's huge discount that's a season pass for the price of a one day ticket. What theme parks do you live close to? Dollywood's clossest deal to that is a season pass which is less than the price of two one day tickets. So you pay for about one and a half days and get 9 months to enjoy it. Plus if you purchase a season pass in Nov. or Dec. you get the next year for free.

not a season pass a one day pass. i have heard of a few Florida and CA parks doing that. but if you go in after 3 they offer a one day pass that can be redeemed any time during the season for one day. If you go late in the season and can't return it's still good for the next year. now is you want a season pass and have this they will subtract the $22 admission prise from the $62 season pass.

as for my area I live in the New England area. New Hampshire to be more exact. as for NH We have Canobie Lake park(family owned, most Dry rides in NE, a few well thumbed areas) Up north in the White Mountains we have 3 family parks. Six gun city (small but has a nice Miler coaster and a few unique shows), Santa's village(name give out the theme a number of solid rides and good shows), and Story land which has not outgrown it's name to include many other themed areas. check out the photo TR.(http://www.thrillnetwork.com/boards/showthread.php?t=39900)

There no Dollywood but Solid attractions.

Dukeis#1
09-07-2006, 08:11 PM
I'd rather Dollywood stay open until 9pm and 10pm like it use to instead of opening even earlier in the morning. Summer night rides would be welcomed back.

:)

I love DW
09-07-2006, 09:08 PM
^That would be awesome if they stayed open until 10. It would also help with the flow at the tram pick-up area. Because starting about 7 or 8 some would be leaving because they have been there all day, more than likely older people and families with small children but that alone is quite a few people. Because really as Dollywood gets more popular they will have bigger crowds and I don't think the situation now with the tram pick-up will work when they have a million more people a year or so. So really it would satisfy all the people wanting to ride more and it would also help others leaving it's a win win situation. As for the "arrive after 3 next day free" promotion when they stay open until 10 it would probably have to go to arrive after probably 4 or 5.

CoasterKid_2006
09-07-2006, 09:39 PM
Well, there've posted some ideas on Screamscape.com (my third home, this being the second) which include.....well....here...

2008 & Beyond - Future Concepts for Dollywood - (8/15/06) Dollywood is currently taking a survey pitching several different ideas under consideration for future attractions. The six ideas include: Henhouse Scramble (an comical interactive dark ride on the back of a tractor pulled cart through a henhouse), Smoky Mountain Wilderness Adventure: The Ride (kind of an aerial tramway over the rooftops and through the trees where you have to pedal to reach top speed), A unique highly themed Master Blaster style watercoaster slide up and down hills through a scenic mountain setting, an addition to Dolly’s Imagination Library where stories come to life in front of you, Dollywood’s Starmaker Studios (where kids are brought on stage to perform in front of a real TV studio full of cameras and production equipment), World Puppy Stadium (home to the Purina Puppy Challenge where dogs can show off their talents).

I love DW
09-07-2006, 10:14 PM
^I would like to see all of those come to Dollywood. A master blaster at Dollywood is it the kind that I have heard about where you don't get wet or is it the traditional water park kind where you do get wet? Either way I hope that is the first one to come in then next I would have to say I would like to see Smoky Mountain Wilderness Adventure: The Ride. They all so cool though I can't wait till they get them.

Michael C
09-09-2006, 05:51 PM
While an extra hour would be a good thing as a general admission thing it wouldn't work as a VIP bonus. the kids fest time could be run differently say special kids prize bags with t-shirts and toys.

as for the ride list I had seen that a long time ago. I really see some of the smaller one coming in the near future. That way they can recoup a bit of the money invested in the last couple of years. as for the master blaster addition. that's much better suited for the water park. capacity isn't great on those things and they get your soaked. If they get the pro slides versions and don't have the extra sprayers they might be able to get a slightly less wet versions but still. not a great addition for the main park.

I love DW
09-09-2006, 06:45 PM
^That's a good point. So in that case I would see either the Purina Puppy Challenge or the Starmaker Studios because those wouldn' cost too much.

Michael C
09-09-2006, 10:26 PM
not to mention a cheaper year at Dollywood could mean larger additions to Celebration City and SDC. maybe even a small addition to Stone Mountain.

Dukeis#1
09-09-2006, 10:48 PM
(8/15/06) Dollywood is currently taking a survey pitching several different ideas under consideration for future attractions. The six ideas include: Henhouse Scramble (a comical interactive dark ride on the back of a tractor pulled cart through a henhouse), Smoky Mountain Wilderness Adventure: The Ride (kind of an aerial tramway over the rooftops and through the trees where you have to pedal to reach top speed), A unique highly themed Master Blaster style watercoaster slide up and down hills through a scenic mountain setting, an addition to Dolly’s Imagination Library where stories come to life in front of you, Dollywood’s Starmaker Studios (where kids are brought on stage to perform in front of a real TV studio full of cameras and production equipment), World Puppy Stadium (home to the Purina Puppy Challenge where dogs can show off their talents).

I'm not fond of any of these concepts to be honest. The last two actually seem like a step backwards to when the park's theme kind of broke up in the mid-90s.

The Henhouse Scramble seems too cartoonish for Dollywood.

I think the Master Blaster would work great at the waterpark, but not at Dollywood itself. The theme park already has the Mountain Slidewinder, and while its not a Master Blaster, it is somewhat similar.

I'd rather they just stick to the 1800s theme like they've been doing lately.

bk2004
09-09-2006, 10:56 PM
/\ I agree with you...I hope future expansions don't become too far off to what they are doing now. Timber Canyon looks just fine...now lets keep it that way.

I'd like the park to stop with water rides. They have enough. And a Master Blaster for Dollywood? Why not Dolly's Splash Country?

I love DW
09-10-2006, 05:32 PM
^I believe it's a less wet version of the Master Blaster ride that they are talking about. And your right it's too much like Mountain Slidewinder for the park.

But I don't know the Henhouse could work in a way it may not be in the Timber Canyon area but maybe up in Dreamland forest for the little kids. Because that area isn't the 1800's theme it's theme is Imgination so maybe it would work up there.

Michael C
09-10-2006, 06:11 PM
The description of the hen house attraction sounds a bit like the Eggstraordinary tractor ride at Story Land.
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/8647/tractor4kt5.th.jpg (http://img178.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tractor4kt5.jpg)

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/7225/tractor2vl2.th.jpg (http://img178.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tractor2vl2.jpg)

it's basically a Antique car style ride around a farm. If this version there is an on-ride photo in the barn. You could switch the inside out to whatever you want.
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/5439/tractor3tr9.th.jpg (http://img178.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tractor3tr9.jpg)

not this is the SBF version which is a bit more cartoonish. they apparently have a more traditional looking tractor and there are a few to there with really natural looking tractors.

I love DW
09-10-2006, 07:01 PM
[/quote] Henhouse Scramble (an comical interactive dark ride on the back of a tractor pulled cart through a henhouse)[/quote]

What it sounds like to me is something more like Holiday World's Gobbler Getaway. Because it says an interactive dark ride so I think it would be something you shout at.

Does anyone know a link to where you can take this survey at?

BGWfanatic
09-10-2006, 07:31 PM
Personally, I like the Henhouse Scramble Idea. I agree it sounds like a ride like gobbler getaway, which I think are really fun! And there great family rides, something that obviously fits Dollywood perfectly! And I also like the smoky mountain wilderness adventure one, once again, a fun ride that everyone could do. And with the beauty of Dollywood as the background, would be a great addition to the park. Im not to fond of the other ideas though.

I love DW
09-10-2006, 10:33 PM
The purina one wouldn't be too bad because it would add another show to there long line up and it is something that has no height requirment and the Smoky Mountain Wildreness Adventure: The Ride probably wouldn't either. Maybe those two would come in the same year. Because a transportation system isn't a big addition but if the added a new show with it, it wouldn't be that bad of year for additions. And they know that the Purina people really bring the crowds because when they had them for KidFest in 03 and 04 they did three shows a day with about 300 seats available at each show and they filled up every single show the entire festival with people waiting 45 min. for each show. So hopefully if they did add the Purina one they would hold it in a bigger place or do about five shows a day so you don't have to stand in line as long.

bk2004
09-10-2006, 11:24 PM
/\ Yeah...so they liked the show so they want to bring it back permatly. It just seems so random to me.

I think an indoor ride could work if done properly, and they don't really have one now...so yeah.

I love DW
09-10-2006, 11:31 PM
Well they have Smoky Mountain Adventure Tours and Blazing Fury but really indoor rides are awesome because in the Summer they get you out of the boiling sun and into a cool building and in the winter you go inside and it keeps you from freezing. So you can't have too many. And you know during the winter they will have the heat really turned up because when you go into Smoky Mountain Adventure tours you warm up in a matter of seconds.

Michael C
09-11-2006, 05:19 PM
The AC and heat are a great aspect of Indoor rides. Interactive dark rides are fun. they can be ridden by anyone in the family. and the Scored Shooting system makes it a fun family competition or between friends. Dolly wood would need better cars because more cars hold 4-6 and they are normally low capacity.

as for the water ride. I've seen this in water parks with 36-42" Height requirements. I think i read a could with 36". not exactly everyone. but not terrible.

I love DW
09-11-2006, 05:46 PM
Are they normally low capacity? Because when I went on it at Holiday World I didn't wait at all for it but it was a weekday though. But they could have enough cars to where they never stop and the track may be long enough to where they can hold more cars than normal rides do. But they need to get the timing right if they build one because the second time I rode Gobbler Getaway at Holiday World it keep stopping every 10 feet, evidentally the timing was off or there was to many cars on the track.

Dukeis#1
09-17-2006, 06:13 PM
After visiting the park on Saturday (9/16) I was impressed with the Bluegrass & BBQ Festival - hopefully it will be back next season. The line for the Ricky Scaggs concerts stretched from the Celebrity Theatre all the way to the Grist Mill!

As a whole, the event reminds me of the summer music festivals the park use to have years ago.

I also noticed that all the christmas lights being put up on the Showstreet buildings are blue...that area will have a very funky new look during this year's Smoky Mountain Christmas.

Michael C
09-18-2006, 06:15 PM
Are they normally low capacity? Because when I went on it at Holiday World I didn't wait at all for it but it was a weekday though. But they could have enough cars to where they never stop and the track may be long enough to where they can hold more cars than normal rides do. But they need to get the timing right if they build one because the second time I rode Gobbler Getaway at Holiday World it keep stopping every 10 feet, evidentally the timing was off or there was to many cars on the track.

The interactive dark rides can be really low capacity. especially the sally interactive ones. they have started to go with 4 passenger models. many parks have opted to use another companies ride mechanism and install 4-8 passenger cars. capacity for a dark rides starts at around 600pph. a 4 passenger might move a bit slower and get 100pph good but not great if the park is getting 3 million + annual attendance.

I love DW
09-18-2006, 11:17 PM
I also noticed that all the christmas lights being put up on the Showstreet buildings are blue...that area will have a very funky new look during this year's Smoky Mountain Christmas.

You must of not being looking very hard because when I was there Friday the 15th and Saturday the 16th the sweet shop is pink the gazebo gifts is orange and the pin post is green and those are just some I noticed so it's not going to be all blue. They will be solid colored buildings like Rivertown junction with some buildings having different colored trim. And there is still some other decorations to go up in the flower beds and on some more buildings. But yes Showstreet willl have a different look this year than it has in previous years.

I love DW
09-23-2006, 02:34 PM
Hey here's a new information from www.screamscape.com (http://www.screamscape.com). : 2008 & Beyond - Future Concepts for Dollywood - (9/15/06) One month after the last guest survey about possible new attractions Dollywood launches a new one it seems that focuses more on three different thrill rides this time. Choice 1 sounds like the same highly themed Master Blaster style water-coaster ride/slide up and down hills through a scenic mountain setting that was in the last survey. Choice 2 was described as an "Alpine Mountain Coaster", but Choice 3 is the one that may get people talking... a new Rock'n Roll themed wooden coaster in the 50's area of the park (see my earlier 2009/2010 rumor below) that may use the wooden coaster Elvis made famous: The Zippin Pippin which is currently for sale and seeking a new owner ASAP. If Dollywood is going to save the Pippin, there going to have to move quickly on this one, but I'm sure this will be a steal of a deal if they go through with it.

I can see Dollywood getting a Rock 'n Roll themed coaster but I don't think that they will get the Zippin Pippin. I think they like to be first at things (Timber Tower, Mystery Mine) and like to have origanal concepts (Fly through on Thunderhead) so I personally think if they get a coster that it will not be a bought one I think that it will be an origanel design that no one has ever seen before.

cannonballer
09-25-2006, 11:22 PM
TRUE BUT I think they would get it becuase of its elvis's fav coaster and truly IS part of tennessee history.

I love DW
09-26-2006, 11:23 PM
^That is true. And Dollywood is all about preserving Tennessee's history, and by saving this coaster and buying it would be like saving a piece of Tennessee history in a way.

Michael C
09-27-2006, 12:06 AM
Well the move would be practically nothing. One of the biggest costs would be getting new trains.

I love DW
09-28-2006, 06:06 PM
Yeah getting new trains would cost quite a bit, but if it is going to go where the Rockin' Roadway is then that would cost alot to take that ride out.

Michael C
10-02-2006, 05:45 PM
Dollywood has allot of land. it doesn't seem to make much sense to remove a ride for another one. So if they did this you'll likely see a new car ride built.

I love DW
10-03-2006, 10:41 PM
So if they did this you'll likely see a new car ride built.

Not really:

Flooded mine: gone forever. Log flume: gone forever. Thunder Road: gone forever. Thunder Express: gone forever. And some other flats: gone forever.

Really though the place that it makes the most since for the cars to be at Dollywood is in Jukebox Junction. Because it is the greatest theme for a car ride; cars.

Maybe your right but I don't want to see another classic like Rockin' Roadway become another gone forever ride.

cannonballer
10-04-2006, 06:29 AM
^ Not even for another coaster? I wouldnt care at all!

I love DW
10-04-2006, 09:34 PM
Actually no not even for another coaster. I am want someone on here (I don't remember who) would call a park enthusiast. I'm not a roller coaster enthusiast and I think taking away the Rockin' Roadway is taking away a important part of what Dollywood is. It is a family park not a thrill park. I don't think that they need to take a kid's ride away to add something that the littler kids can't or won't ride. I think that they should build a coaster some where else not take the Rockin' Roadway away to build one. Because it adds to Dollywood's Family charm because as long as you are of walking age you can ride, which is pretty much the whole family.

Beside's they have plenty of land they don't need to take the Rockin' Roadway away for land they have plenty in reserve.

cannonballer
10-06-2006, 05:51 AM
I agree about dollywood and preserving the family appeal but The ride is ols, not as popular as other rides int eh park and frankly its the only ride there i have not ridden due to just not having the desire to.

Car rides are just kinda outdated now.

CoasterKid_2006
10-06-2006, 07:16 AM
yeah, but the kid's don't care if it's out dated or old, they just wanna have fun...

cannonballer
10-09-2006, 03:44 AM
jess like there not gonna have fun on teh gazillion other attractions there. I dont think it would really be missed. Thats just my opinion though.

I love DW
10-09-2006, 10:19 PM
I think if they get rid of the Rockin' Roadway they shouldn't put in a coaster. The reason I think that is if you are going to take a ride away from the little kids replace it with a much better ride for the little kids not something just for the older kids.

But what they could do is take it apart and put two kiddie rides in it's place along with a thrill/flat ride.

But I will definetly start riding it more just to make it's count of people go up. It may not help a whole lot but I don't want to see it go.

Michael C
10-09-2006, 10:57 PM
I have to agree. I'm sure Dolywood could find another location for a coaster. You want 5 million a year attendance you need a ride count to support that attendance.

I love DW
10-09-2006, 11:01 PM
^Yes you do and getting rid of something to add something else will not help.

Unless you get rid of that ride to add multple other ones (see my last post).

But I think that if Dollywood is trying to get 5 million people a year by 2025 the Rockin' Roadway will start to get very, very busy.

Michael C
10-10-2006, 11:25 AM
I personally am still trying to get out to Dollywood. So I don't know how the section of the park are laid out. only what I've seen on TV. The park may want to add another midway to fix that problem. around the back of that are. weather another themed area or simply a nice walkway with a city park feel to it.

Dollywood Pete
10-10-2006, 12:18 PM
This is a very interesting discussion. In addition to the items you all have discussed, what ride plaform do you think Dollywood needs - remembering that it is a family park and not a thrill park.

I love DW
10-10-2006, 02:22 PM
I think Dollywood could use more thrill rides. I know it is a family park but I think that it could still use some flat/thrill rides. But at the same time not stray to far from the family atmosphere.

Maybe a drop tower (at least a small one, but not like Holiday World's there's I think is horrible).

But when you add a thrill/flat ride at the same time you could add a small kiddie ride or something to off set the thrill ride.

Dollywood could also get an interactive dark ride. Something that the whole family could ride that would be nice.

But definetly not getting rid of the Rockin' Roadway would be a good start to keeping it a family park!;)

Michael C
10-10-2006, 07:51 PM
Again I don't know the park all that well. High capacity family related ride. a Dark ride is the first thing that comes to mind. add 2-3 major Disney style dark rides. Huge capacity and family driven. if done well enough the ride will appeal to teens and adults also.

I love DW
10-10-2006, 10:19 PM
^I agree that is a great idea. And I think that Dollywood could do a ride that appealed to both. Because there good. lol.

Michael C
10-10-2006, 11:17 PM
^I agree that is a great idea. And I think that Dollywood could do a ride that appealed to both. Because there good. lol.

You figure a Haunted mansion style, and then 2 with unique themes.

Hey is your aviator from Dollywood?

I love DW
10-10-2006, 11:21 PM
Yes. It is part of there decorations for National Gospel and Harvest Celebration (Sept. 29 - Oct. 28).

I don't think though that they would add a Haunted Mansion type themed one because I don't see it going with there theme.

DarthCowboy
10-11-2006, 01:25 AM
Not the theme? A Haunted Attraction would be perfect to go alongside of Mystery Mine.

ghost007jas
10-11-2006, 01:29 AM
Then it should be like a Haunted mine shaft or something of the nature :D

I love DW
10-11-2006, 08:11 AM
^True and some of the things that could be in it could be all the miners that didn't make it out of Mystery Mine:)

This is a very interesting discussion. In addition to the items you all have discussed, what ride plaform do you think Dollywood needs - remembering that it is a family park and not a thrill park.

I think another thing that would help is when you build a thrill ride or coaster add the little kids rides with it. So basically continue what you did with Timber Canyon. Put the kids attraction around coasters and bigger rides that way the little kids have something to do that's close by when the bigger kids/adults of the family go ride other rides.

Dukeis#1
10-11-2006, 06:40 PM
Maybe a drop tower (at least a small one, but not like Holiday World's there's I think is horrible).

I'd rather the park not build anything that would stick up from the mountains. Roller Coasters can be built into the terrain, but something tall and vertical like a drop tower would stand out too much.

I'd like for Dollywood to add some "classic" thrill rides, like an Enterprise or a themed Swinging Ship (like Busch Gardens has), but overall I'd rather the park not become too ride oriented.

I love DW
10-11-2006, 06:42 PM
^That is very true I didn't think about that it. So the drop tower may not fit in very well.

Michael C
10-11-2006, 11:07 PM
Disney has there Haunted Mansion in a different themed area at each park. NO Square, Liberty Square, Fronterland, and Fantasy land. So I'm sure they could work a Haunted Mansion Style Attraction some were in the park.

I love DW
10-11-2006, 11:10 PM
You know I saw a idea for an Americana themed land a while back in a survey they could some how possibly think of a way to theme a dark ride around that I'm not sure what the exact theme could be but I think they could do it.

Michael C
10-11-2006, 11:49 PM
They could work a couple dark rides in on that theme.

I love DW
10-12-2006, 08:18 AM
I think these are some things that could work as themes:

1. Mining (for the Timber Canyon/Mystery Mine area)
2. Henhouse (A theme that has appeared before in a survey) (Which could go in the Dreamland Forest area or Timber Canyon)
3. Imagination type theme (not sure what it would be about but it could go into the Dreamland Forest area)

Dukeis#1
10-12-2006, 05:23 PM
Not the theme? A Haunted Attraction would be perfect to go alongside of Mystery Mine.

I've always wanted Dollywood to do something with a haunted theme, since the Smoky Mountains have many ghost stories and legends.

Like said, that's kind of what the park seems to be doing with Mystery Mine.

I love DW
10-12-2006, 09:07 PM
Like said, that's kind of what the park seems to be doing with Mystery Mine.

...and they never saw the miners again. dun dun dun.:)

I think if they added on some how to the Dreamland forest area it would be neat. A interactive dark ride, or maybe a theater that features a kid's show. Dolly has always talked about doing a kid's show at the park called "At Aunt Granny's Farm" So that would be cool to build a theater and have that show in that area for that show.

Dollywood1986
01-07-2007, 05:40 PM
Sorry to bring back a dead thread, but all of these are great ideas. Dollywood should consider some of these. I have an idea for the shopping/entertainment complex. Dollywood could theme a shopping/entertainment complex, into an old Mountain marketplace. There could be entertainment like there was in the Marketplace, and people could do square dancing, and other forms of entertainment that relates to the mountain flavor.

I love DW
01-14-2007, 01:36 AM
^That would be nice. And with Dollywood's recent detail to great theming they would do an awesome job on it. And it would be great to build a Market Place next to a possible Dollywood hotel. Which could both be on the new middle creek road (I believe that's what it is called) going to Dollywood. Plus even when Dollywood is closed both a market place and hotel would still get guest because the Sevier Country area is really becoming a year round destination lately.

BGWfanatic
01-14-2007, 02:29 PM
^ Sooo kind of like a Downtown Dollywood type of thing? With most parks I would say that it wouldnt work to well, but with the type of crowds that Dollywood attracts (Not numbers, but the fact that alot are older, and alot come just to shop and see shows) I think they could pull something like this off.

Now this would be pretty costly, but if Dollywood stampede sells out often enough now, they could build a bigger, newer, nicer version in the middle of the complex to be the Major Draw, much like Disney has A Cirque show for there complex.

Coasterlover71
01-14-2007, 02:37 PM
Don't forget Randy has Carolina Crossroads... he could definitely do something too..and i'm sure he will.

I love DW
01-14-2007, 06:51 PM
^Ok this topic is about the Dollywood Company Randy's venture is not connected to Dolly Parton in any way.

Now this would be pretty costly, but if Dollywood stampede sells out often enough now, they could build a bigger, newer, nicer version in the middle of the complex to be the Major Draw, much like Disney has A Cirque show for there complex.

Yes Dixie Stampede does sell out often enough that they could relocate. Dixie Stampede:
-Normally lists only two shows on there brochure schedule than the day of or a few days before the date they will add extra shows if needed. But for there Christmas shows in 2006 they didn't do this they listed the added shows months in advance already expecting a crowd.
**Christmas 06**
27 days with just one show total =27
12 days with two shows total = 24
10 days with three shows total = 30
10 days with four shows total = 40-Out of a possible 61 days in November and December Dixie Stampede did 121 shows which is an average of 1.98 shows every day.
-Then with a possibility of there being 1,000 people at each show that means that possibly 121,000 people saw the Christmas show this year alone just at the Pigeon Forge location.
-Plus many of those people bought things from the carriage room pre-show and the gift shop that they exit through when they leave meaning even more money.

Could you imagine how well Dixie Stampede could do if they had a 1,500 seat theater or more. Plus is the Dollywood company built a marketplace like this it would provide better surroundings for Dixie Stampede than what they have now which is an old looking Family Inn.

Dollywood1986
01-14-2007, 07:44 PM
That is a good idea for Dixie to be relocated. Maybe there could be two arenas built, meaning more shows, and money. If the marketplace was to be built, maybe Dollywood could build another Music Mansion Theater, and move James Rogers back into Music Mansion, and have another show at Dollywood in the Showstreet Palace.

I love DW
01-14-2007, 08:28 PM
^Yeah but don't forget two arenas would be twice as many host, riders and horses which would cost more money. It would be cheaper just to build a bigger theater that way all you would have to do is add a few more servers and maybe a cook.

And adding another theater would be a good idea to because I really liked the James Rogers and Company show that they used to have at Music Mansion. And with Pigeon Forge getting even more visitors I think that it could support both a larger Dixie Stampede and new theater.

Dukeis#1
01-14-2007, 10:10 PM
I doubt Dollywood will build another Music Mansion type attraction. The reason they got rid of it (I think it was '99 or 2000) was because it didn't meet their expectations, and the company wanted to move in a different direction. This was around the time they dropped the "Show Park"/Opryland ideology.

Music Mansion was the anchor of the failed Music Road area of Pigeon Forge. Music Road was meant to be a Branson-inspired entertainment district, with several theaters, shopping, etc. Dollywood spearheaded the project along with the town of Pigeon Forge by building Music Mansion in 1994, with hopes to attract several more large theaters to the area - Louise Mandrell, along with a few others came, but it was no where near as successful as they had hoped.

I love DW
01-14-2007, 10:48 PM
Yeah but I think now they could have more success because of all the tourist coming in. Because Pigeon Forge and Dollywood are both much bigger than they were 7 and 8 years ago. And since Music Mansion has closed other successful people have come in including the Miracle, Black Bear Jamboree and Fiddler's Feast and they all have seem to do well. Plus with the addition of Mystery Mine this year Pigeon Forge is going to see a lot more people especially since word has it that in 2006 Dollywood increased attendance by 375,000 people to make a attendance record of 2.75 million visitors. So you know Mystery Mine is really going to draw them in.

Michael C
01-14-2007, 10:49 PM
A downtown shopping distract would be a good idea for allot of parks. Dollywood being one of them.

As for the Dark ride subject. I also recall a hen house themed dark ride being mentioned.

DarthCowboy
01-16-2007, 06:39 PM
I like the idea of a downtown area....with a new and improved Dixie! They are always sold out!

cannonballer
01-16-2007, 10:59 PM
down in pigeon forge there is this gift shop called hillbilly village. They used to have an actuall village in the back but now its 90 percent destroyed! :(

I think a hillbilly village in dollywood would work WELL!!!!
pretty much the same theme along the train they have now but an actual area!!! with interactive thing such as animatroic lady in a well, an animatronic mooonshine still etc.!!!

I love DW
01-17-2007, 07:01 PM
^Yeah were talking about things outside of Dollywood. A mountain market place type attraction built by the Dollywood Company but outside of the parks gates. Because the whole Dixie Stampede idea and theater idea wouldn't work in the park. Plus the shops wouldn't have to be as themed if they were outside of the park like they are at Dollywood. Outside of Dollywood all you would need is the outsides to be themed. With the insides having a bigger variety and if they really wanted to make good money instead of leasing the shops in the market place idea they could own and run them themselves so the would make 100% of the profit.

Dukeis#1
01-17-2007, 07:30 PM
I think a hillbilly village in dollywood would work WELL!!!!pretty much the same theme along the train they have now but an actual area!!! with interactive thing such as animatroic lady in a well, an animatronic mooonshine still etc.!!!

There actually use to be a lot quirky stuff like that in Dollywood. Seems like they've tried to shed the "hillbilly" image over the years though, so most of it has been removed.

Especially on the steam train ride...it's almost like a museum tour these days since they stopped doing the robbery skit. The spiels the conductors give have been fleshed out in that they no longer have any sort of humor or storyline to fit with the overall presentation of the park. Also noticed they went through the trouble of tearing down most of the cabins that were along the track a few seasons ago.

I think a mountain marketplace would be a great idea for the park to consider. Especially since it appears the Belle Island Village thing that was to be built in Pigeon Forge is never going to get off the ground.

Dollywood Pete
01-28-2007, 03:14 PM
These are all very interesting ideas. Keep them coming!

Dollywood1986
01-28-2007, 04:28 PM
I think Dollywood should also build another runaway mine train like Thunder Express. The story could be that you are boarding an old mine train, in search of a lost mine in the smokies. The train would run through a sawmill, and have a near miss with the saw blade, go over a collapsing bridge that lies over a raging river, have an encounter with a black bear, and at the end, the guests would find the old mine. In the old mine, the guests would be in complete darkness, and it would be like a mild roller coaster, wilder than it was before the mine scene. At the end the guests would be congradulated on their efforts, and would see their photos that were taken during the ride, on the front cover of a mountain newspaper. I think this would be a great addition to Dollywood, and would be a really great ride for families, but still be exciting for teenagers, and the younger set of people.

BGWfanatic
01-28-2007, 04:54 PM
^ so blazing fury meets mystery mine, in other words.

Dollywood1986
01-28-2007, 05:02 PM
Yes that does basically sum the ride up. Except that it would be outdoors, and would have newer special effects, and have a wilder ride.

I love DW
01-28-2007, 05:07 PM
^Sounds good.

I think that something that Dollywood could use is more attractions in the Timber Canyon area, because when it hits 40 degrees and Thunderhead, Timber Tower and Mystery Mine shut down that area died down to nothing. Things like shops, theaters (especially during Christmas), flat rides, restaurants, and other items that don't shut down at 40 degrees would be great to keep people up there longer. Same with the the upper portion of Craftsman's Valley the backside between Mystery Mine and Tennessee Tornado needs to have attractions open under 40 degrees because all of Craftsmans Valley slows drastically when Tennessee Tornado shuts down.

cannonballer
01-29-2007, 01:23 AM
another Idea of mine is this...

They have the eagle refuge so why not expand on it. I think it would be cool to have an area called smokey mtn wilderness and it would be a small (indoor or outdoor or both) area that housed animals that live in the smokies. It would be either guided or not and teach conservation and wildlife interests in the area. Examples of animals could be, Black bear, raccoon, skunk, fox etc. etc. Doesnt have to be anything HUGE just nice habitats and an educational experience that could somhow go beyond an everyday visit to a zoo.

Coaster_holic24
01-29-2007, 11:17 AM
A nice hyper coaster would do Dollywood good, definatly would bring the crowds in.

BGWfanatic
01-29-2007, 11:44 AM
^ contrary to popular belief, Hypers arent the answer the answer for every park. I really think a Hyper is the last thing Dollywood needs. The direction they're moving in, with the highly themed attractions, is the best route for them IMO.

Coaster_holic24
01-29-2007, 03:44 PM
^ contrary to popular belief, Hypers arent the answer the answer for every park. I really think a Hyper is the last thing Dollywood needs. The direction they're moving in, with the highly themed attractions, is the best route for them IMO.

I know Dollywood is a family park and all, but they do need a more high thrill ride. I mean Thunderhead is cool and all, but a hyper, launch, or rocket coaster would be awesome. Mystery Mine will be neat, no doubt, but no more thrilling than the other 2 coasters they have. I think the theming will be what makes Mystery Mine so different.

Andrew W
01-29-2007, 04:21 PM
Possibly a nice launched terrain coaster like SDC's Powder Keg is just what Dollywood needs...

Dukeis#1
01-29-2007, 05:44 PM

I agree.

A lot of people don't seem to grasp what Dollywood is, what it is all about. There is more to it than rides - the same could be said about Silver Dollar City.

BGWfanatic
01-29-2007, 06:12 PM
Possibly a nice launched terrain coaster like SDC's Powder Keg is just what Dollywood needs...

I think that would be a much better option than a hyper.

I love DW
01-29-2007, 06:42 PM
I agree with several above comments a Powder Keg type of ride would be very nice for Dollywood. Because with the theming that there doing with Mystery Mine they could put that magnitude of theming into a coaster like Powder Keg and make it great. Plus with Dollywood's terrain there is no telling what they could come up with in designs.

I also agree with BGWfanatic in the fact that Dollywood seems to be heading in the direction of highly themed attractions. Which is what they should be headed for. Because when people I think come to Dollywood a lot of them have an idea in there head that Dollywood is down home but on a grand scale since Dolly is so over the top in everything she does (in a good way).

A Hyper however I don't think would do very good in Dollywood. Because most all of Dollywood's fan base the ones that return over and over and over and spend the money have been there and like the down home feel and they get upset when they stray from it just a little bit. A hyper would be straying from the Dollywood atmosphere in my opinion.

Although I think that in the coming years we are going to see Dollywood really return to its roots (not that the have really strayed away from them though) and go for very highly themed additions and get back to the entertainment type park by adding shows, festivals, shops, crafts and such. I would kind of like to see them put some type of craft up in the Timber Canyon area.

CoasterKid_2006
01-29-2007, 07:59 PM
Well, they've got the rain maker up there, which isn't much, but didn't it used to be a popular show whenever it was SDC? I agree with all the above comments, and I do wish that they'd add flat rides to the timber canyon area. Possibly something themed some sort of mill/mine. I personally love that sort of theming and think that dollywood can work wonders with it....now, if any of that made sence, feel free to add a comment... :)

cannonballer
01-29-2007, 10:55 PM
Nobody Like the wilderness idea?

I love DW
01-29-2007, 11:00 PM
^I'm sorry I didn't comment on that. But I think that you have a great idea there. But they could even kind of elaborate on it and make it a little bit interactive too. With things like Chasing Rainbows has. Items like Q & A and interviews with people from the American Eagle Foundation, maybe Dolly and some park officials even. I agree with you in the fact that they do not need to make it like a zoo, because then everyone will think that there trying to compete with the Knoxville Zoo and others.

^^Actually it made since to me.

Yes they have a rainmaker but he isn't there in the winter since that is an outdoor attraction/show. What I think they need is a nice big theater to hold the increase in visitors and so they can have more regular season shows. Plus during KidsFest the theater could share the space with both a KidsFest show and a regular show to make both the kids and older patrons happy. And during Smoky Mountain Christmas if it held 1,000 - 1,800 people that could be a lot of possible people to stop and eat, play the game up there, shop, and play in Lil' Loggers Landing and ride Lumberjack lifts since they don't close below 40 degrees and that way it would keep the area a live below 40 and keep the people interested and spread them out more in the park and keep them in the park longer once the temperature drops. Because as you may have noticed if you have ever visited during Smoky Mountain Christmas once the temp drops mass numbers of people leave. With the added show even once it drops people are going to stop and eat, shop and play a game if they are forced to pass it. Because no matter what the reason you go up there you would have to pass a them.

Plus I know that it has been mentioned before but I think the idea of a story telling mining would be great for theming near the Mystery Mine building. Not necessarily a show just someone there all the time (minus there lunch and other breaks of course) that could tell stories about the mine and all of it's tragedies because I would say that probably 50-60% of the riders next year will have never been to www.mysterymine.com (http://www.mysterymine.com) and 10% of them probably don't have the internet even at there house.

Wes
01-30-2007, 10:14 AM
^ I agree.

As much as I love hyper coasters, I just can't see how they'd fit one into the whole scheme of Dollywood.

Unless they had a massive amount of tunnels on the thing so that it was kind of diving in and out of the hills so you don't see massive amounts of track everywhere.

The only way I'd say do a hyper is if they did it in the back of the park somewhere around TT.

When the park builds another coaster though, I think something like Powderkeg would be a better option. That looks like a seriously fun ride.

On future rides: I would like to see Dollywood buy a Sally shooting ride like Holiday World got or the various former Paramount parks have.

I think they could easily come up with a mountain themed dark ride something kind of like Holiday World did with the turkey call theme.

Hey, Pete call up B&C and see if the one at the Myrtle Beach Pavilion is up for sale. lol

coasterman1234
01-30-2007, 02:45 PM
A hyper coaster would not fit at Dollywood unless it could be well hidden with tunnels and scenery. Although, I think something like a floorless or inverted coaster would work well at Dollywood, with well hidden track like Nemesis or Black Mamba.

Coaster_holic24
01-30-2007, 05:08 PM
Hiding a coaster is silly talk. lol but whatever works for DW I guess.

coasterman1234
01-30-2007, 10:14 PM
Yeah, it does seem kinda strange to talk about hiding a coaster. lol. But at some parks a massive coaster structure rising out of the treetops doesn't fit the theme.

Coaster_holic24
01-31-2007, 09:54 AM
I understand, DW is a great family park, I am actually taking my daughter there in May before it gets terribly hot, and going to hit up Tenessee tornado, thunderhead, & Mystery mine while I'm there. My mom & stepfather will be going as well, so they can watch over my 4 year old while I ride these. By the way anyone know how the crowds and lines are on a Friday in the beginng of May? I love DW, you seem to know the park like the back of your hand, what do you think?

cannonballer
01-31-2007, 11:29 PM
^ dont forget to ride Blazing fury, daredevil fals and mountain slidewinder as well! those are fun too ya know! If you skip timber tower dont worry its not that great anyways.

Coaster_holic24
02-01-2007, 08:50 AM
^ dont forget to ride Blazing fury, daredevil fals and mountain slidewinder as well! those are fun too ya know! If you skip timber tower dont worry its not that great anyways.

Oh yes no doubt!!!

I love DW
02-25-2007, 01:07 AM
Yeah, it does seem kinda strange to talk about hiding a coaster. lol. But at some parks a massive coaster structure rising out of the treetops doesn't fit the theme.

And Dollywood is definitely one of those parks that a massive coaster rising out of the treetops would look really out of place and ruin the whole theme that they have been going for, for years. Really I think the largest coaster we are going to see from Dollywood is something similar to Tennessee Tornado for at least the next ten to fifteen years. Because even if you look at Mystery Mine half of the thrill will be the theme, the drop is not very big and the speed is not very much either but it will be one of the largest themed rides at a regional park which is what will make it different just like the rest of Dollywood.

Dollywood Pete
02-27-2007, 12:42 PM
I understand, DW is a great family park, I am actually taking my daughter there in May before it gets terribly hot, and going to hit up Tenessee tornado, thunderhead, & Mystery mine while I'm there. My mom & stepfather will be going as well, so they can watch over my 4 year old while I ride these. By the way anyone know how the crowds and lines are on a Friday in the beginng of May? I love DW, you seem to know the park like the back of your hand, what do you think?

The first weekend in May is the last weekend of Festival of Nations and the park will be very busy. Many folks will be catching the last performances of the many international groups on the park so some ride lines may be short. You might want to get a QBot to see it all.

BryanWood
02-27-2007, 01:08 PM
The first weekend in May is the last weekend of Festival of Nations and the park will be very busy. Many folks will be catching the last performances of the many international groups on the park so some ride lines may be short. You might want to get a QBot to see it all.

I did that last year, because of the majority of the people watching the shows, I never waited for any ride more than 5 minutes. It was great. The added bonus of catching a few performances made it an enjoyable time to visit.

Coaster_holic24
02-27-2007, 04:41 PM

My actual set date to go is May 11th, thats a Friday, I'm thinking it wont be very crowded, from what you guys say, the lines shouldnt be long either.

Dollywood1986
03-27-2007, 12:56 PM
With everybody talking about a hyper coaster being installed at Dollywood, and how to hide it, I had an idea about how to make it work. Install the ride in the undeveloped valley behind Mystery Mine, but not too close to it, and have a new area back there themed to a little town, and in the back of the town, would be a laboratory, and the ride would have a similar story to Wildfire at SDC, except this is a B&M hyper coaster that is only about 150 feet. The cars would be themed like Wildfire's. The coaster would soar above the little town ,and roar through some of the town's shops, and buildings. The coaster could easily be well-themed, and be well-concealed if it wasn't over 150 or 160 feet. A gunsmith, basket-weaver, and apple butter craft demonstrations would be held up in the area, as well as another sawmill, and a restraunt named Mrs. Harrison's Mountain Inn would serve items like Lumbercamp does, but also have steak, mashed potatoes, and ham. The residents of the town would come out, and have some fun with the guests, and there would be a little theater with a new version of Elwood Smooch's Revue. This area would be a great addition, but it would also cost a lot of money.

DarthCowboy
03-27-2007, 01:14 PM
That was really thought out! Great idea!

Dollywood1986
03-27-2007, 01:34 PM
Thanks, I have another idea for another ride that could be located in that area. A Giant Top Spin. It would be themed as another one of Doc Harris' inventions, and the stroy would be that Doc Harris invented this contraption for thrilling sky adventures above the Smokies, but evertime he would try to use the machine, it would flip, spin, and dive in every direction. So, Doc Harris, finally realized that he could offer thrilling rides to vistors that came from miles around East Tennessee, to experience The Amazing Flight Contraption. The ride would have many spins, and would hang riders upside down over some beavers, or just water jets, spitting water at the guests. The riders would also be suspended over a sharp object that comes really close to the riders, before they are whipped to an upright position, and then the ride would be over. It is a little bit of a corny title, and has a little bit of Timber Tower incorporated in it.

Wes
03-27-2007, 02:12 PM
How about putting it in the 50's section of the park and called it Twist and Shout...oh wait..they already had a ride called that. lol

I love top spins, especially the one that was at Pavilion and would love to see one there.

I don't really like the new floorless version as much, it spins a whole lot faster and makes me dizzy. But it's still fun.

Whatever the future holds, I know the park will pick great attractions.

Dollywood1986
03-27-2007, 02:45 PM
That would be a great place to put a Top Spin too! I hadn't thought about that area. With Dollywood Lane not in use anymore, it could be a good possibility. That would be a more fitting name though. lol

I love DW
03-28-2007, 07:37 PM
^^Actually Twist & Shout is no longer a name used in the park. It is now just called The Scrambler (http://www.dollywood.com/rides-attractions/ride-detail.aspx?AttractionID=108) it changed when they renovated the Country Fair area in 2005.

With everybody talking about a hyper coaster being installed at Dollywood, and how to hide it, I had an idea about how to make it work. Install the ride in the undeveloped valley behind Mystery Mine, but not too close to it, and have a new area back there themed to a little town, and in the back of the town, would be a laboratory, and the ride would have a similar story to Wildfire at SDC, except this is a B&M hyper coaster that is only about 150 feet. The cars would be themed like Wildfire's. The coaster would soar above the little town ,and roar through some of the town's shops, and buildings. The coaster could easily be well-themed, and be well-concealed if it wasn't over 150 or 160 feet. A gunsmith, basket-weaver, and apple butter craft demonstrations would be held up in the area, as well as another sawmill, and a restraunt named Mrs. Harrison's Mountain Inn would serve items like Lumbercamp does, but also have steak, mashed potatoes, and ham. The residents of the town would come out, and have some fun with the guests, and there would be a little theater with a new version of Elwood Smooch's Revue. This area would be a great addition, but it would also cost a lot of money.

This is a great idea very well thought out. But I don't really think that money would be to big of a problem. Because what they could do is work on building from the Tennessee Tornado towards Timber Canyon. That way it would bring visitors up there more then after building rides, shows, attractions, shops, etc. from that direction over several years leaving enough room and money for the addition they could make this the final addition that connects the two areas. As a big finale of the loop of the park.

And on there being more room with the Dollywood Lane entrance not being used there actually won't be more room because the last I heard that entrance will still remain open to accommodate emergency vehicles a entrance to the park it just won't be used for guest.

tntornadox
04-05-2007, 07:48 PM
I really hate to drag up this old thread, but it has been dug up several times and I started it- some year ago. ;)

I actually had a ride idea of my own, I have many ideas for Dollywood, but I try to be as conservative as possible, because, having been a guest and season passholder for the past 13 years now (before it became BIG), I have seen alot and hope I have a grasp on what Dollywood is wanting to do, seeing where they have been.

---Project: "Grizzly"
Seeing as Dollywood is enterting the HIGHLY themed ride categories, I hope this isn't too far fetched, I don't think it is. This Project will be split up into three (3) categories: Theme/Storyline, Ride System, and Guest Satisfaction/Breakdown.

- Theme/Storyline: It is the 1800's. (I love this theme, the park uses it to great success, IMO) Welcome to Silver Nickel City, a booming mining town in the Great Smoky Mountains. Once nothing more than a rail depot (Dollywood Express tie-in here), the town has become a boom town since gold was discovered, not long ago.

Then, one day, the town is terrorized by a pack of Grizzly Bears, who come down from the mountains every so often. Several citizens are injured, several others just simply....disappear. Old timers have always told town citizens that the land is cursed, once used as a sacred burial ground of some sort.

The ride comes in like this: You, the Guest, board the train, and make your way out of the station. You slowly go through scenes of homesteads scattered around the area- you notice something strange- noone is around! As a matter of fact, the homes have been ransacked by someone, or something.

At this point, the train enters a tunnel (building, possibly) and starts ascending a lift hill. It is pitch black inside. All of a sudden, you hear old timers telling of the curse and how the mean spirits send out evil Grizzlies to do their bidding. All of a sudden, you hear a massive GROWL behind you (possibly from in-seat audio system), the train accelerates quickly up the lift (think Hulk at IOA) in response (fear) of the Grizzly, which you assume is behind you. This sets the pace for the fast ride to come.

You whizz through abandoned buildings and through a smaller version of the "town" of Silver Nickel City. You escape just in time, as you leave the city limits of the town, the bears stop their chase, and the brakes engage.

(Huge storyline, I know)

--Ride System: I think a B&M stand-up would work well, with this story. It would be like you are "running" from the bears. Although, anything could really work.

I chose B&M because they have done the lift-hill launch before.

--Guest Satisfaction: Dollywood has dipped its toes in a "fear" theme with Mystery Mine, and I applaud them for it. Like fellow fanboy, Dukeis#1 has always said- the Smokies are full of legend and folktale, such as this. I wouldn't go as far as blood everywhere or anything, but something that gets you worked up and scared would be awesome.

What are your thoughts? This ride could be added in Timber Canyon, or could house a new area, focused on Gold Mining: Silver Nickel City (or a throw back to Silver Dollar City, whichever ;)).

-

Dollywood1986
04-05-2007, 08:30 PM
That's a great idea for Dollywood! I think a B&M stand-up is just what the park needs. The launch for the Incredible Hulk was made by Universal, or some other outside company, not B&M. B&M won't put launches on their coasters by themselves in fear of low reliability. I think it would fit really well behind Mystery Mine, a little ways behind it, instead of having a coaster right on top of another. Something like the way Thunderhead and Mystery Mine are spaced apart. I think another ride that would really work good at Dollywood is a Giant Frisbee, like Delirium at Kings Island. I am still thinking up the story, so I will post it later. Also, I think Mystery Mine is a great ride, but I was wondering if anybody else thought that Dollywood could have done something like Tower of Terror, with an abandoned mine theme. You could have been riding one of the abandoned mine lifts, in a mine elevator, and you would have seen a lot of the same special effects in the Mystery Mine now, but, you would have a free fall at the end, and you were at the mercy of the ghosts of the Mystery Mine as to how many times you were dropped. Also at the top you could look out and see all of Timber Canyon through doors on a mine shaft opening, opening up and closing as you drop. It seems a little bit of a copy of TOT, but it would be a great addition to Dollywood.

CoasterKid_2006
04-05-2007, 08:37 PM
This and the idea of the old town in valley behind MM could be combined. I like this idea, and i think that some of the old things from the old SDC such as the old saloon, of the rain maker show could be moved up there....just think about it...

tntornadox
04-05-2007, 10:03 PM
I have been very bored tonight (off work, spring break). So, I decided to do a background drawing for "Project: Grizzly", which I described earlier.

Please pardon my drawing, its not the best, but it gets my point across. I may do a drawing of my idea of a Dollywood hotel and entertainment district at a later time...

http://www.thrillnetwork.com/boards/attachment.php?attachmentid=15615&stc=1&d=1175824973

I love DW
04-05-2007, 10:16 PM
I like the idea of "Grizzly" but I don't honestly see any type of coaster coming anytime soon unless it's a kiddie coaster. I think that the next coaster will be farther apart than Thunderhead and Mystery Mine are, because some people that have been going there since before/and during Silver Dollar City will not like the coaster trend and don't like coasters on top of each other with out shops, shows, attractions, etc. in between. But I could really see something very similar coming into Dollywood just not within the next 7 years or so though.

tntornadox
04-05-2007, 10:21 PM
Of course, I don't expect this in the next few years, at all. This is a long term project, in my mind.

Dollywood1986
04-05-2007, 10:35 PM
I don't see any of these happening in the next 5 years or so, but I would love to see them come to life! The Huss Giant Frisbee's storyline I was thinking of could be our version of the Giant Swing. Dollywood should get a barnyard theme, but with different rides than SDC. We could have the Huss Giant Frisbee as our Giant Swing, and an Intamin Giant Drop ride, called the Amazing Silo Lift where the Wilson family has invented an easier way of storing grain by taking it to the top of the Silo. During the ride, you would be seated on one of the lifts, and it would be as if you are taking grain to the top, but the grain is too heavy, and the cable snaps, and you fall to the bottom. Henhouse Scramble could be like the one mentioned in the Dollywood Surveys.

Dollywood Pete
04-10-2007, 10:20 PM
^ I agree.

As much as I love hyper coasters, I just can't see how they'd fit one into the whole scheme of Dollywood.

Unless they had a massive amount of tunnels on the thing so that it was kind of diving in and out of the hills so you don't see massive amounts of track everywhere.

The only way I'd say do a hyper is if they did it in the back of the park somewhere around TT.

When the park builds another coaster though, I think something like Powderkeg would be a better option. That looks like a seriously fun ride.

On future rides: I would like to see Dollywood buy a Sally shooting ride like Holiday World got or the various former Paramount parks have.

I think they could easily come up with a mountain themed dark ride something kind of like Holiday World did with the turkey call theme.

Hey, Pete call up B&C and see if the one at the Myrtle Beach Pavilion is up for sale. lol

B&C kept all their really cool stuff for their new Broadway at the Beach park. I went to look at the Caliope they have for Country Fair. Not for sale!

DollyRules
04-24-2007, 09:30 AM
Like many of the others here, I have been visiting Dollywood for years (since 1993) and they have grown considerably since then. I would love to see a new area to the park, maybe between Timber Canyon and the Tennesse Torado. The area could be set up as an old mountain town. They could call the area Locust Ridge, after where Dolly was raised. In the area could be several shops, a stage show in a new theatre featuring characters from Dolly's songs (ie. Applejack, Preacher Tom, Jolene, Joshua, Old Bones, and the girl from Mountain Angel. I'm sure there are more!), and a ride or two. They have been doing so well in the ride department lately, I'm happy to leave that up to them. This would provide a mixture for the whole family. A new theatre, new area, new shops and, possibly, new rides. Everyone wins and that section would be tied into the history of Dolly herself!

I would also love to see Dolly update "Heartsongs" as well.

CoasterKid_2006
03-23-2008, 12:12 AM
So It's been almost a year since anyone's posted here, but seeing how the 2008 season is up and rolling now, I think it's time for the 2009 rumors to start flooding in.
What do you all see coming in in 2009 and where would it go?
Also, I was looking at the map last night and I realized how close all the coasters were to one another. So my guess is that if we do get a new coaster soon, I'd like to see it somewhere else in the park. Like on the other end. idk, maybe they should develop the hill behind the train depot...

tntornadox
03-23-2008, 01:31 AM
Dollywood has some land just beyond the rail tracks in Country Fair (behind Dizzy Disk)- there is an unused field that stretches all the way back to Dollywood Lane...

I would like to see them expand The Village into this area and bring the whole "Americana" themed area (from the surveys, long ago) to life... pretty much, it was alot of colonial style bricked buildings scattered around a lake that had fountains and such... new theaters, shops, indoor attractions.. since Dollywood tells the story of Tennessee History in its areas, this new area could be a jump from the time of The Village to the Colonial Era.

I'd like to see Dollywood develop a new indoor attraction to go along the lines of 'Heartsong' in this area that tells the story of how Tennessee became known as the 'Volunteer State', something very patriotic and uplifting (they are experts at this).

For those of you who don't know why Tennessee is the Volunteer State- During the War of 1812, when Tennessee General Andrew Jackson was fighting off the British in New Orleans, the Secretary of War asked Tennessee to provide 2,800 fit men for militia service in that theater... over 30,000 volunteered. Tennessee and its people have played a role in every war before and since the founding of the United States, so I think this attraction would be an absolute hit.

I would call it: "Volunteer Heart: From Mountain Man to Soldier" or something..

Dollywood1986
03-23-2008, 09:09 AM
I think that Dollywood is building the Americana themed area next year. I believe that its going to go in the train loop, that way there can be a train stop up there. It would make the Americana area feel more American with a train running around it. I dont see another coaster for maybe 2 or 3 years. I see a Screamin Swing coming and maybe a dark ride similar in technology to Spiderman and DarKastle.

CoasterKid_2006
03-23-2008, 10:07 AM
I don't know about the train loop. You'd think that they'll do something with it since they've did all the ground work. As for a new train station. Doubt it. Sorry, but they've said in the past that they don't think it'd work. I do not, repeat do not want a screamin swing! They are to boring, It's like a hyper coaster, up and down, up and down, betcha can't guess what's next ;). I also DO NOT want a screaming squirrel. I mean come on. We already have an awesome, small coaster with MM. So that just leaves a B&M!!!

tntornadox
03-23-2008, 07:24 PM
Their next major coaster will be a B&M, i'm quite confident of that...

CoasterKid_2006
03-23-2008, 07:27 PM
Idk, I'd like either a B&M or an Intiman. Maybe something unique like that winged coaster in spain

BGWfanatic
03-23-2008, 07:34 PM
That winged coaster doesn't look all that appealing. Although if done right, flying over the tree's and hills through the mountains could be quite entertaining. Plus, It would also be the parks first launch coaster, which would be a nice selling point. And it would also be pretty easy to theme. So although it wouldn't be my favorite choice, I think that type of ride would work really well for Dollywood.

raser
03-23-2008, 08:08 PM
I think whatever coaster they build should be themed to moonshine runners. A wild and crazy coaster "terrain" that has a lot of twists and interacts with the surroundings, like trees, shacks, and so on...

CoasterKid_2006
03-23-2008, 08:33 PM
I think that the winged coaster would be awesome! I mean think of it. Build it in Wilderness Pass and build man made caves and such, a have it flying through there! It'd be awesome!

James
03-23-2008, 08:56 PM
God damn..

See.. You say you want the "wing coaster" but have you even been on one? Baco was such a crappy ride. I would HATE for a good park like Dollywood to add such a bad bad bad ride. I've been on almost 500 coasters.. and I cant think of ANY I hated more than I hated Baco.

Anyways.. I've only been to Dollywood once and it was in the winter when a lot of it was closed off.. It was also in the rain so more rides were closed just because they were wet... I didnt really get a good feel for the park. But I did ride the train.. And I could see a new ride area going up where the train turn around is.. Its kinda odd to have that big treeless area for nothing... isnt it?

I love DW
03-23-2008, 09:52 PM
I'm not even going to try to guess what exactly Dollywood will add in the near or far future because did anyone three or four years ago really see a $17.5 million coaster like Mystery Mine in the future of the park?........I didn't think so. What ever Dollywood will add though I feel will more than likely be something to continue there running three year additions of having something that was the first and only ride of it's kind in North America, or possibly add more attractions that there are very few of in North America.

CoasterKid_2006
03-23-2008, 09:57 PM
Yeah, I'll agree, They've got big things planned for the train loop!

TNBoy1041
03-23-2008, 10:13 PM
Most of the train loop was just filling it in with all that dirt they had hauled out from the new path. Even the guy on the train told that along with some HUGE number of dump truck loads of dirt hauled out of that hill, and a lot of it filled into the hole. In fact, earlier in the year I thought they were digging the loop out (it was a deep hole), but as the year progressed I saw they were filling it in. Who knows? Maybe they are filling it in for a purpose.

But I do agree that a new coaster does not need to go back there. If it were put there, it would be RIGHT beside TT. Also, last year a ride op on TT told me that Dollywood had initially planned two identical steel coasters of some sort but did not have the money to do it (she gave a large figure), but decided on MM instead...I don't know how much merit to give that one though.

Whatever they do, I agree with the person who said to go to the side of the Village to do it, especially with a new coaster.

CoasterKid_2006
03-23-2008, 10:18 PM
I was the one who suggested that! I realized how close the current RC's were to one another! I mean DW needs to venture out and build RC's other places than back there....

CoasterKid_2006
03-23-2008, 11:25 PM
I wouldn't say several years. I mean MM was built not to long after TH. And come to think of it, it was just 5 years after TT that they built TH. And then from 2004 to 2007 is only 3 years. So, who knows. I'm thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of 2010-2015.

tntornadox
03-24-2008, 12:09 AM
What happens next year will lay the groundwork for the new coaster, I think..

BGWfanatic
03-24-2008, 01:04 AM
I'm thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of 2010-2015.

That reminded me of the bread my mother baked today that was supposed to be baked 6 - 15 mins.

Nice & precise, just the way I like it. ;)

CoasterKid_2006
03-24-2008, 10:26 AM
^...What? Lol

BGWfanatic
03-24-2008, 11:49 AM
woops. baked* not back.

CoasterKid_2006
03-24-2008, 01:35 PM
lol. But I really hope that whatever we get next is going to be something for my age group. I'm 16. so something like a Drop tower themed as a Falling Mine Shaft, something like TOT at WDW

Pinslashers
10-13-2008, 09:10 PM
Dollywood may not be getting Adventure Mountain in 2009, but they are getting an easier way to enter the park and 2 amazing shows. It's not a big, huge, thrill ride but it is also something that the whole family can do together and isnt that what dollywood is about? Doing things together as a family?

CoasterKid_2006
10-13-2008, 09:22 PM
What are you talking about? I love riding the trams... And now that they're adding a tunnel to the ride!!!! I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

Dollywoodlover1
10-13-2008, 10:03 PM
lol yea.
I just wish we didnt have to wait this long for something big.
I mean alot of teens come to Dollywood....including me and you philip. So what are they going to do when some of that group dont come in 2009?

CoasterKid_2006
10-13-2008, 10:18 PM
Ok... Just for the record on this new thing, this is how I feel...

Ok, no, I'm not happy with it, but I understand. However, I don't think the economy is all that is to blame.

Secondly, all the people on here who think that DW not building a tree house will greatly impact DW's attendance are just wrong. I mean, it's a freakin' tree house... Honestly, it's no big deal.

Thirdly, As far as 2011 and beyond, I'm not sure anything was in place to be disturbed anyways, and even if it were, at least they weren't announced projects..

Lastly, 2009 being referred to as the "The year of the shows" doesn't bother me at all. I love DW shows, I've even tossed around the idea of trying to get into the entertainment up there.

In closing, yeah, no new ride will be there when I go in next April, but that's not going to stop me from going to the park I love, and I think that'll end up being the mind set of most people next year.

williard2194
10-13-2008, 10:56 PM
^You don't gotta post the same thing on both threads lol.

I somewhat agree with you though. I mean just looking at Adventure Mountain on paper doesn't make me wanna go to Dollywood next Spring more than I wanna go next week. A tree house really isn't going to change DW's attendance at all. I mean just go rock climbing for Pete's sake. (Haha I made a joke Pete's sake-Pete Owens hahahaha......I know not that funny)

Michael C
10-14-2008, 07:45 PM
Dollywood looks to be an amazing park. I don't think holing off a year will hurt them at all. There is still a huge selection for any group.

DarthCowboy
10-14-2008, 08:02 PM
Teens will still come to the park. It's okay. This isn't the end of the park as we know it. Relax, Dollywoodlover1. Patience.

Pinslashers
10-14-2008, 08:56 PM
Oh no... no new attraction at dollywood for 2009 call the press the worlds coming to an end. Relax. Dollywood will be ok!

It has 2 great new shows.

CoasterKid_2006
10-14-2008, 09:13 PM
It appears I've started a movement.
And yeah, I know I didn't need to post twice, but I wanted this on the 2009 thread but I accidentally posted here first...

theswanz
10-14-2008, 09:16 PM
I really hope we see a coaster in 11 since it will be 4 years since their last by then. I really am looking forward to the shows in 09 though.

neil_n_ky
10-15-2008, 11:01 AM
I have to say I have the utmost respect for folks who run a theme park. It is a hard job to cater to everyone. Places like Cedar Point and Six Flags that have a multitude of coasters appeal to thrill seekers I'm sure. For instance, I was in the Chicago area with my mom, sister, and my sister's bf for my nephew's navy bt graduation. I told them I was going to SFGA while we were there. None of them like coasters or rides period. I told them not to come but they insisted they wanted to come. Well, they were there for a few hours just sitting looking at the coasters waiting for me to get thru the line. Finally they agreed they would go back to the hotel. Now if they were at Dollywood, they could have done a multitude of things with all the crafts, shows, and the eagle mountain sanctuary. My dental hygenist loves going to Dollywood and she doesn't ride anything! Her husband and son rides the rides and she shops and eats! Therefore, I will say I do believe Dollywood needs more coasters but I know they have so many other things so everyone finds something to do. I love all the parks I've been to so far but Dollywood will always hold a special place. I can make it with no new ride for next year. I still hope we'll get lucky and they can fork out a few million for a tornado slide at Splash Country though.

Michael C
10-15-2008, 06:22 PM
With all the efforts of trying to have Unique slides in Splash Kingdom I would hate to see them ruin it with a Tornado slide. they aren't even that good. They can do better.

CoasterKid_2006
01-24-2009, 08:42 PM
Me and a friend were talking about the future of dollywood tonight, and a great idea popped into my head!

As you may know, DW's trying to develop the area around Tennessee Tornado... Well, they are, or, I think they are... Anyways, my idea was that since Tennessee Tornado is kinda randomly placed up there, i mean, it's in craftsman valley, I'd like to see the Craftsman behind this. So what I was thinking was develop the area, which is basically a big valley, add some twister themed rides, and call it something like Tornado valley, or Twister Cove or something.

Any comments?

GAmFanboy
01-24-2009, 09:23 PM
They could theme the Tennessee Tornado area to The Indians that were the first Settlers in Tennessee. Maybe They could call it:

Tribal Grounds OR
Cherokee Creek

Just a Thought.

CoasterKid_2006
01-24-2009, 09:35 PM
It'd still be kinda random... I mean, the whole thing seems really Ironic to begin with... i mean, a tornado ride, and in the back ground are all these mountains.... Think about that...

Racer
01-24-2009, 09:37 PM
Tornado Valley sounds better. I see a B&M or two in the future, maybe another GCI woodie(probably not likely with Thunderhead in the same park.)

Pinslashers
01-25-2009, 03:47 AM
Many Possiblilitys... only time will tell!

DarthCowboy
06-11-2009, 01:54 AM
Digging up an old thread... I was inspired to think of new Dollywood concepts.

Re-reading the thread, the area beyond Dizzy Disk/Heartsong was mentioned. I think it would be great to theme it to Dolly's stardom...or just stardom in general. It would be called Music City, and would feature a dark ride, restaurant, entertainment complex, shops, and a coaster.

Here's my idea for a lay-out...
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o300/DollyFanJoie/MusicCItyOverview_small.jpg

CoasterKid_2006
06-11-2009, 09:22 AM
...whoa...

But isn't chasing raindbow area, the old dollywood blvd kinda the same thing?

neil_n_ky
06-11-2009, 09:36 AM
Wow, cool layout. I am all for Dark Rides and Coasters. I had never even thought of an expansion in that direction.

CoasterKid_2006
06-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Me either. It may work. And then have the resort over in that area as well.

DarthCowboy
06-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Dollywood Boulevard was themed to movies of the silver screen. I think a modern-esque layout/theme would be cool. I got the idea originally when GAC had their bus in front of the Pines.

THe Rhinestone entertainment area would have like a Nashville star show...where park guests compete like they do at AMerican Idol Experience.

CoasterKid_2006
07-08-2009, 05:06 PM
Can i bring this back? It'll mean we have 3 DW threads up, but, oh well.

As I stated in one of the other threads, I think Dreamland Drive in will see it's last season next year. What do you think, or would you like to see as the replacement?
I'd like to see something set in the time period of WWII. Despite it being in the 50's area, they've done enough 50's shows, let's get them a break. Have it where an East tenneessee boy leaves for the war leaving his wife and family behind. Sing songs from the era, like Sinatra and the Anderson sisters. Maybe close with a USO show. Just some ideas to get conversation going.

dfrag
07-13-2009, 10:13 PM
I have been going to Dollywood since before it even existed, literally. In the early 80s, my family first went when it was Silver Dollar City. Its only gotten better and better over the years. The only complaints I even have are 1. the fact that they demolished the Flooded Mine and 2. they stopped doing their daily park-closing show, The Dollywood Jamboree. Ahh, the memories. I can't wait to do the zipline. In any case, Dollywood, Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, the Great Smoky Mountains are like a second home to me. We used to drive up in our motorhome every summer and stay for two weeks. It was a blast. Seeing how I have vast amounts of experience in that area, I decided to start a blog dedicated to it. Come let me know what you think on my site. I have tons of pictures and video of Dollywood and everything else that we (my family and I) do when we are up there. I am writing several articles on Dollywood right now. My Dining At Dollywood article should be up today or tomorrow. My Rides of Dollywood goes into all the cool rides. Drop me a line and tell me what you think! I can't wait to go back next summer! http://somewhereinthemountains.blogspot.com (http://somewhereinthemountains.blogspot.com/)

CoasterKid_2006
07-13-2009, 10:39 PM
Cool Blog! Some of those pictures are from a few years back, yes? The one of the upper train loop with Trees!!! lol

dfrag
07-14-2009, 07:51 PM
Yup, some are from July 2006 and others from October 2008.