PDA

View Full Version : Winter Closings

Montu Man
01-08-2006, 04:23 PM
Why do a vast majority of American parks close over the winter when the Japanese can keep their parks open? Is it the laziness of Americans? Is it not enough staff? I can understand CP being closed, as it would be pretty hard to keep scraping snow off of everything and keeping everything running, but some parks can probably be kept open and running well. So why close?

Thunderhawk
01-08-2006, 04:52 PM
Probably because it's not worth it to be open. Alot of coasters valley when it's cold, but more importantly, people don't visit parks when it's not summer. Most parks are dead in september. Now people are thinking "what about October" which is usually busy. Why? Halloween. People want to do things for halloween, and most theme parks have a halloween celebration.

If it was profitable for these parks to be open during the winter, they would be.

RidePhoto101
01-08-2006, 04:52 PM
Poor attendance and lack of employees. Unlike the Disney parks, most chain parks rely heavily on high school and college students as their base-rate employees. When these students are in school full time it is very hard for most parks to find 3,000 employees willing to work for $6.00/hr. Combine that with the fact that most Americans would not venture out into the 30 degree weather to ride the same rides that they could ride when its 80 degrees in the summer and you have the reason why it isn't feasible to operate parks during the winter.

The off-season is also a great time for parks to do reqired maintenance on the park as a whole. Disney has to shut attractions down for months at a time for rehab because they are open year round. Seasonal parks can get everything done during the off-season and have all of their popular attractions running full time when the park is open.

Pcw
01-08-2006, 06:26 PM
Weather and climate is unpredictable. Parks won't have to worry about temporary fences for construction of new rides and attractions. They also have time to fix up the park without people destroying it again.

siestakey
01-08-2006, 07:11 PM
PLUS - Rollr coaster hurt when it's freezing cold out. Nitro hurt my hands when the wind hit them and imagine on Kingda Ka?

Cid
01-08-2006, 09:30 PM
I'd say the big factor is staffing. Staffing is bad enough in the beginning and ends of the season.

w00dland
01-08-2006, 10:57 PM
It wouldn't make them any money. Even SFMM is only open on the weekends during the winter and they have nice weather year-round. Fact is that people have other things to be doing during the non-summer months, the major one being school. Families are the major money spender at parks and when the kids are at school they can't be at the parks. Staffing wouldn't even be that much of a problem if they were to be open just during the weekends.

Bottom line, if it's not gonna make the parks any money, they aren't gonna do it.

Coaster Nana
01-08-2006, 11:01 PM
One of the best things about living Florida--parks open year round! I'm sure going to miss being able to go upside down at least once a week when I move to Charlotte.

Martin
01-09-2006, 06:54 AM
PLUS - Rollr coaster hurt when it's freezing cold out. Nitro hurt my hands when the wind hit them and imagine on Kingda Ka?
Kingda Ka would not be able to run in the winter regardless of how much it would hurt.