PDA

View Full Version : Disney's Pride Mountain --- Astounding

Chris L
01-30-2006, 06:23 AM
Tim Whiting is one talented fellow. Even though the concept has no regard to building costs, high capacity requirements for an attraction of this magnitute, his creative skills and talent will amaze you. :eek:

I had to share this with the TN community. Sick at home and bored for a week, Whiting put together a ride concept based on Disney's animated film THE LION KING --- and the "___ Mountain" ride setup.

Pride Mountain (http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22010&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0)

Ryan F
01-30-2006, 07:58 AM
That was freakin awesome, if only that was a real ride:(

Carowinds 73-03
01-30-2006, 08:07 AM
WOW! Thats was just wonderfull. Very up to par with Disney. Maybe the guy should try and sell that to Disney. I would love if they had that exact ride.

dukeandPCfan
01-30-2006, 03:20 PM
that was absolutely amazing and had awesome attention to detail.. it would be a very cool ride, and if disney did accept outside submissions.. then im sure they might look into such a ride.. animal kingdom wouldn't mind having another ride!

Chris L
01-30-2006, 08:26 PM
Here's another one, but it's a spoof. http://www.srcphotography.com/images/ncn/handimover/handimover.html

It's hilarious.

The Handi-Mover logo is really clever though. It incorporates the universal symbol of handicapped and ties it in with the "I,"V," and "O" of the name.

Carowinds 73-03
01-30-2006, 08:28 PM
LOL. Ok now thats funny.

Montu Man
01-30-2006, 08:41 PM
TPR forums are down, so I can't see whatever this is. They seem to be really unreliable.

Carowinds 73-03
01-30-2006, 08:51 PM
It's still working for me. However the first link is no longer working. What happen to the concept?

Montu Man
01-30-2006, 09:00 PM
Now it's working. Interesting concept. It would probably make for a good ride, but it would probably cost well over 100 million dollars.

Carowinds 73-03
01-30-2006, 09:26 PM
100 million dollars sound like a Disney project. I really can't get over just how amazing that is, Why is he not working for Disney. Yes it has some flaws but nothing Disney can't work out i'm sure.

Truely (in the worlds of Disney) Fantasmic work.

apsterling
01-30-2006, 11:03 PM
wow. one word. wow. And Gut Rocket rods. Get Vekoma to "Bang" it. I MISS ROCKET RODS!!!

Coaster Nana
01-30-2006, 11:11 PM
I want to ride this! Somebody please build it soon.

rlrcstrfreak
01-30-2006, 11:19 PM
I was looking at thsi! its cool!. amazing , a lot of thought went into it.

How do you make pictures like the ones he made? is there a program on the comp he used? or what? becuase I think those look cool.

RidePhoto101
01-30-2006, 11:58 PM
He should talk to Mike Collins from CoasterRadio.com. Mike has contact info for Joe Rohde, the head imagineer behind Animal Kingdom, and most recently Expedition Everest. EE is a good fix for AK for a few years, but this attraction for 2010 or 2011 wouldn't be a bad idea to renew the park and give it a second mountain.

If Mike (or Clint) could put him in contact with Joe Rohde or get Rohde to look at the idea, it might just be good enough to get some attention. I honestly think this attraction looks even better than EE and could potentially be the best attraction Disney has built since Tower of Terror, Splash Mountain, or Test Track.

April_fool_79
01-31-2006, 01:10 AM
Yeah, this ride would rock, but I can't see it being built at AK. Not with the Festival of the Lion King show there. I just can't see them doing 2 attractions on one movie. At least not in the same park. Maybe they could put it in MGM?

Sir Willow
01-31-2006, 09:27 AM
It's a fantastic idea, and would make an awesome ride. And if he can get some notice, hopefully it can help get him a career designing rides like this.

However, realistically (and this is the part that sucks), it'll never be built. Disney is adamant about not accepting things like this from outside. They just simply will not do it for multiple, multiple reasons (rights to the idea, property ownership, and many other issues they've had problems with in the past).

Then there is the extreme cost to think about. The ride could very easily end up costing a lot more than Expedition Everest, with the advanced design of the ride vehicles having to be improved upon so they can run outdoors. Plus the drop ride part of it (including locking the car onto the drop carrier for it). And everything else. It's an incredible ride to think of and dream about. But that's going to likely be as far as it ever goes.

But I really do hope that he can get some notice from those that design rides- not to build this, but to have a future helping use this kind of creativity in what they come up with in the future.

April_fool_79
01-31-2006, 12:52 PM
Actually, the drop part could be more feasable than you think. They already have something similar to it being used with TOT. The elevator car moves forward into the drop shaft and locks into a cage. And if Universal can make a hydraulic system that can be completely underwater (Jaws and JP), I'm sure that Disney can come up with a hydraulic system that could run the jeeps while they are outside in rain. At least they wouldn't have to deal with snow and ice!! :)

Of course, this is an entirely theoretical conversation, but interesting nonetheless.

Sir Willow
01-31-2006, 01:06 PM
^ The difference is that he's essentially wanting to use a ride vehicle that's already being used on Indy. To further design that vehicle so that it can lock onto a lift system and then manage rapid ascent and drop without damaging the vehicle- and the passengers- is no easy feat. It's a radically different design than the elevator. With all the things they have to do to make Rhino Rally, for example, just slide down the water portion of the ride is a lot of mechanical differences, and they're things that would likely not work easily on a rise and drop like this.

The problem with the vehicles outside is, as he mentioned, also problematic. There are a lot of computers and electronics on those cars, as well as the involving the track they run on. The track itself might not be as much of a problem as there are similar ones that can operate outside. But mixing all those computers with Florida humidity and rain is not a good thing.

Essentially what would end up happening is just because of those two things, they would likely have to practically design an entirely new ride vehicle. While it might be similar to what is used on Indy, it would still have to have a lot of changes.

I agree too- entirely hypothetical, but certainly fascinating.

bk2004
01-31-2006, 02:06 PM
This is encredible! The detail he put into it is amazing. He really should be putting his talent to work...