PDA

View Full Version : New Staff

Drewbie
02-07-2006, 10:19 AM
I've seen a few new names as staff on here lately and was wondering if we could get an update on who these folks are/old user names and what their new functions are. I looked under the About Us (http://www.thrillnetwork.com/about.php) section, but the profiles weren't updated.

Now to make it very clear, this is just out of my own curiousity, not out of any malice or anything. I just thought it'd be nice for everybody to know who the new staff are and what their duties are. Just basically a "Hi, I'm the new blah blah blah. I used to be _insert old name here_, but now I'm in charge of doing such and such."

Thanks in advance!

Sir Willow
02-07-2006, 10:32 AM
Would be a good idea. I know that many of the staff put at least a "formerly known as..." in their siggies. But a nice intro is always a nice touch too- especially if they're someone that hasn't been around a long time, like some of us old foggies. :P

Steven
02-07-2006, 10:38 AM
Some of the people have been there for a while, and the only real new staffers are Katie and Dan.

Since I just updated the about us page over the weekend, and that they haven't had the chance to even fill out the staff profiles yet, and i'd just give them time because they still have to pick up on the new duties.

Also, we have user profile features we are testing that allows them to do the same (redesigned profile, blog, etc.), so check those out often.

slnewbus
02-07-2006, 03:23 PM
Why is such a relatively new member as Katie suddenly become top staff? There are so many other staffers that have been on this site for years that deserve that spot.

Steven
02-07-2006, 03:25 PM
That is for me to decide and for you to not worry about.

It's not the first time i've appointed someone so high (look at Graham). Unlike some people, I appoint people based on qualifications and a demonstration that they can do the job given the requirements (which, when you boil it down to one sentence, was to find a version of me to oversee content since I no longer had time to). She happened to fit the bill, where no one else currently on the staff currently fits the qualifications necessary, simple as that. She doesn't moderate, and all she oversees is content and the staff necessary to run the content.

Sir Willow
02-07-2006, 03:27 PM
Part of the problem isn't who "deserves" it because of how long they've been here and other things like that. It's who has the time to contribute, as well as the ability and desire. When you've got someone with the skills, time, desire, ability, and who has shown they can do it, then you take them up on that.

It's not meant as a slam on many of the people here, but many that are willing are lacking in other areas- some of which they might not be aware of. :)

Steven
02-07-2006, 03:42 PM
Thank you Sir :).

VekomahangNbang
02-07-2006, 03:45 PM
What happened to Chip? He hasn't been around much lately.

And I know it's Steven's desision, but I really don't agree with the whole Katie thing. But, then again, it's not my decision.

Chip
02-07-2006, 04:07 PM
Chip's around. He does a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff. He posts stories, hires editors (check out the announcement on the top of every forum) and edits stories. He recently posted six trip reports from a California coaster tour, too.

Katie
02-07-2006, 05:26 PM
Thank you Sir Willow! That was so kind of you. :-)

Martin
02-07-2006, 05:32 PM
I don't understand why you don't agree with the whole "Katie thing" Vekoma. What's the problem with it?

Jimmy B
02-07-2006, 05:43 PM
Why is such a relatively new member as Katie suddenly become top staff? There are so many other staffers that have been on this site for years that deserve that spot.

There's really no "top staff" in that no one person has more power than the other. Just like in politics, no one branch has more power than the other. Katie just works with one aspect of Thrillnetwork; she is a fabulous addition to our staff and I know she is going to do a great job helping us out.

To address Drew's question, the staffers appointed within the last year are....

Wes is bgwfreak
Bob is snafu
Chris L. is KraxleRIDAH
Brian P. is FlyInBack
Dan G. is Eastcoastn07
Jerry S. is meowcoaster1
Clint Novak is coasterclint
and of course I was Hurricane.

I might have missed a couple that I don't remember off the bat.

Steven
02-07-2006, 06:04 PM
I'm also going to point something out (since two people who have responded in this thread can back me up on this having been around at the time).

I myself was a member when we were part of the original Thrillride, which then became CoasterForum (and later ThrillNetwork). During the CF days, they started a chat, and with no one experienced enough to understand how it worked, I came on staff as the first chat moderator, having demonstrated (and documented) past ability to be an IRCop and channel operator. It was a lot of responsibility to manage chat, and I was able to live up to what I had already demonstrated elsewhere.

Eventually, I was also able to demonstrate (with documentation) my ability to run web servers and manage people. Alex took the chance when Roman could no longer fill that field, and I became an admin, and was entrusted with a lot of things. Now, I call a good deal of the shots on here. But, unlike some people on other sites, I do delegate responsibilities for various aspects of this site to others.

If I relied entirely on bringing people up from within (say I take Chip), it would pose several issues. First, I would have to replace Chip in the Senior Ed position, then I would have to replace that editor (which is time consuming). Also, knowing what Chip's commitments are (present and future), he may not be able to handle the requirements we need fully, so taking him on as my EIC would have a greater chance of backfiring.

Most everyone from within knows that I look out for the best interests of this site, and with that, I don't like to always rely from within, so that we get some fresh ideas. That's exactly what I am doing here. Along with all the other requirements, that is how I arrived at Katie for the EIC position, since she had proven herself in other capacities elsewhere.

So, keep that in mind if you ever want to do anything on TN with us.

coasterqueen
02-07-2006, 07:09 PM
Just chill out guys. It's all good. :)

Katie is going to do fine. She's one of my best friends and I have no doubt she will kick ass. She has my support and I have no doubts about her ability to do her job.

It's JUST a hobby, guys. Remember that. ;)

-Tina

Martin
02-07-2006, 08:00 PM
I see Sir Willow is the newest staff member. Just recently too, I think.

Cuddy
02-07-2006, 08:16 PM
He was a moderator back in the day when Coasterforum was starting off, then stepped down. He's back on as an editor.

BryanWood
02-07-2006, 09:36 PM
And I know it's Steven's desision, but I really don't agree with the whole Katie thing. But, then again, it's not my decision.

You know, if you're going to go an make a ridiculous and ignorant statement like that, you better explain yourself (preferably with fatcs). You risk looking like a moron when you don't.

BTW, Katie has done more in the past few days than any of us lazy editors have done in a few months. Also, she's brought in some great fresh ideas which we desperately need. That makes her well qualified in my book.

VekomahangNbang
02-07-2006, 10:17 PM
Taking nothing away from Katie, but I think Andrew would be well qualified. He puts a lot of effort into this site, plus he's been around since the beginning.

Steven
02-07-2006, 10:24 PM
Andrew who? Andrew Polcyn? Tell me the reasons why he'd be good in the spot?

slipknot8527
02-07-2006, 11:02 PM
Intros would be nice. I saw "Dan" going on and on about the Steelers, and I thought "God, this guy is worse than that Great adventure fanboy"....until this very second where I just realized they were the same person. :)

April_fool_79
02-07-2006, 11:53 PM
Ha ha ha ha, that's hilarious! From what I can see, I'm guessing that intros are on the way? Maybe we can have a pinned or announcement topic telling who they are and what they do?

Steven
02-08-2006, 12:23 AM
Staff intros appear on the about us page (linking to their name). We're trying to get the newer staff to fill them out as we speak (some have).

Sir Willow
02-08-2006, 06:34 AM
I see Sir Willow is the newest staff member. Just recently too, I think.

Sshhhhhhh, don't tell anyone. I'm hoping that no one notices this time around. :) But yeah, I'll be working on posting and editing news stories and some work on the database as time allows. Not a big deal really.

But I did get some on my profile filled out for you on the "About Us" page.

Oh, yeah, and I also saved a bunch on my car insurance at Geico. :P

Katie
02-08-2006, 07:25 AM
My profile was put up yesterday, but that won't matter to some people. :rolleyes:

Thanks to all the staff guys for sticking up for me. I appreciate it.

coasterqueen
02-08-2006, 11:26 AM
^Anytime, girlfriend. :)

Is it freakin' Memorial Day yet? ;party;

-Tina

Jimmy B
02-08-2006, 01:59 PM
Taking nothing away from Katie, but I think Andrew would be well qualified. He puts a lot of effort into this site, plus he's been around since the beginning.

If you are referring to Andrew Polcyn, he deals with a completely different aspect of the site. He is on our moderating branch, while Katie is on the editing branch.

I think a lot of you can't seem to discern the difference between editors and moderators. They are two completely different types of jobs -- like doctors and lawyers. They have different job descriptions that reqiuire different qualifications and personalities.

slnewbus
02-08-2006, 03:02 PM
It's not meant as a slam on many of the people here, but many that are willing are lacking in other areas- some of which they might not be aware of. :)

You've got a point there. There are one or maybe 2 staffers that have been around for a long time, or maybe even from the beginning, that are lacking in many areas and being a major detriment to the well being of the site.

BryanWood
02-08-2006, 04:14 PM
You've got a point there. There are one or maybe 2 staffers that have been around for a long time, or maybe even from the beginning, that are lacking in many areas and being a major detriment to the well being of the site.

If someone is a "detriment" to the site, they are removed quickly. Please think before you post.

Detriment defined is causing harm or loss. No staffer is doing that at this time.

-Bryan "what is it with ignorant comments lately" Wood

slnewbus
02-08-2006, 04:20 PM
If the person is one of the people running the site, the person won't be removed.

Cuddy
02-08-2006, 05:06 PM
I see my name was tossed into the Editor-In-Chief ring. Let it be known that I have never once done any editing, other than members' posts which has nothing to do with being an editor.

Second, I simply do not have the time to be an Editor-In-Chief.

Third, I lack the proper skills to be an EIC.

Fourth, I have NOT been around since the site started. This site started back in May 2001 (or perhaps earlier), I came on the site as a member in July 2001 and didn't become staff until December 2003.

So while I like the nomination, I will have to reject it. Besides, Katie is more qualified than I am, plus its nice to have a female staff member. I would not be able to handle the stress of such a job. Hell, my stress level at work is getting pretty darn high. That ties into why I don't have time to be an EIC. I work anywhere from the normal 40 hours upwards to 70 hours. That would allow me little to no time to devote any work here.

I'm done.

Graham
02-08-2006, 05:27 PM
slnewbus, if you have a complaint about a staff member feel free to use the contact us form and report the problem. If you’re so concerned that "one or maybe 2 staffers" are a detriment to the site please provide us with detailed descriptions as to why. You should document examples to back up your claim since no one is going to listen if all you have is your opinion.

Also, you should keep in mind that you don’t see everything that goes on to make ThrillNetwork what it is today... there are many staff members who handle behind the scenes stuff that’s vital to keeping a site of this size running smoothly.

Chip
02-08-2006, 06:10 PM
slnewbus, why are you even arguing this? You have no idea what goes on behind the scenes. Name one thing she's done to help this site since she was added on as editor in chief.

Nothing? Yeah. That's because you don't know. She's done a lot already. Wait until you see what we've got in store.

Steven
02-08-2006, 07:43 PM
This thread is starting to go nowhere...

Also, slnewbus, if you don't like the staffers on the site (myself included), I have made it well known that you can either direct the complaints directly to the staffer to see if it can be resolved, you can leave the site, or you can just shut it. No one else is forcing you to one single option but you. Whining gets nowhere on this site. Though, I really do want to know why you disapprove of the decision... and I hope that it can be backed up with supporting evidence. If it's a personal vendetta over something... then it should stay between you and Katie and none of us on staff are going to touch it.

Lastly... it's the offseason... I know a lot of you can't get your coaster fix... I can't myself, and I know how it feels. I'm sure that it's part of the reason everyone is on edge. We've got at least 1-3 months (depending on where you are) before the parks open again... unless you live in Florida or Cali. Right now, this is where we make a lot of our changes, and we may not all agree with them. But, I've been running this for 4 years, and I'd rather have people like that than people who agree with me all the time. It gets boring.