PDA

View Full Version : Ps3 And Xbox360

skydiver123
02-12-2006, 01:20 PM
I was just wondering. . . how many people are going to buy the PS3, cause i am, and how many people bought the XBOX360???

slipknot8527
02-12-2006, 06:42 PM
I am hearing rumors of PS3 being upwards of 500 dollars. The sick thing is, people will buy it. Like I've said all along, SOny needs to put up or shut up. We have not seen any screenshots of ANYTHING, which leads me to believe that the stuff will just not look THAT much better than the 360. IF, and I don't think they will, but IF the PS3 pumps out graphics that look as good as the Killzone and MGS4 trailers, I will shut up forever about SOny...but I'm not holding my breath.

coolstarwasim
02-12-2006, 07:18 PM
i want an xbox 360, only because of Halo 3

Dan G
02-12-2006, 07:44 PM
slipknot, Sony already stated that the console will be sold cheaper than how much it takes to make them. Although they are going to lose money at first, they want people to have Blu Ray players in their homes and that is why they are taking the risk. I'll definitely be buying my PS3 when it first comes out just in case the price does happen to go up lol.

Fantom
02-12-2006, 08:30 PM
I reserved an xbox 360 and CANCELLED my reservation because they said I wouldn't get til march or april, but now it was May or june. And by then, I might be getting the REVOLUTION (depending on release).
But I can't wait to throw the ps3 controller to see if it will come back to me.

magnum_man1989
02-12-2006, 08:38 PM
I'vs played an Xbox 360. Those are soem sick graphics. The gameplay is just so much better. The xbox is superior to the PS2 to begin with. I think that the xbox 360 is beter than PS3 not only for the awesome graphics, but there are so many other features. Xbox live is amazing if oyu have halo2 and not to mention the approaching Halo3.

slipknot8527
02-12-2006, 09:49 PM
slipknot, Sony already stated that the console will be sold cheaper than how much it takes to make them. Although they are going to lose money at first, they want people to have Blu Ray players in their homes and that is why they are taking the risk. I'll definitely be buying my PS3 when it first comes out just in case the price does happen to go up lol.

Incorrect. The PS3 cost has jumped up substantially since the first rumored price of 400.

The problem seems to be the same thing as the PS2. They are trying to go for one machine that will do everything...play music, surf the web, play movies...etc.

Well, they promised all this with the PS2, and on top of none of them ever materializing, people just don't seem to want a "does all system."

I'm telling you, sony and Microsoft are letting technical "wow" factors get in the way of just great games. The revolution is going to look twice as good as the Gamecube....that's really all I need. If the games are going to take 2 years to develop the graphics, but with gameplay just kind of tacked on...count me out.

Marc
02-12-2006, 11:14 PM
I'm still pissed off at Sony for their Digital Rights Management (DRM) rootkit.

I don't care if they deliver a very good system (which I doubt), I'm not buying Sony products ever again.

coasterlove
02-12-2006, 11:15 PM
I'll take a wait and see attitude with it. I certainly will not reserve a system since I'm not willing to commit to a system without having seen what it can do first hand. They systems are just too expensive to dive in without really looking at it. One of the main reasons I'm interested in the PS3 is because of the Blu-Ray discs.

As for the Xbox360, I don't see any reason to get it. It won't have as many great games as the PS3 and the 360 won't be powerful. Also it won't have the innovation of the Revolution.

The Xbox360 completely dropped the ball on their launch. They could've sold a few million by now most likely if they could've met demand around Christmas time. They're are incredibly lucky that Sony's PS3 isn't coming out sooner because it would've really capitalized on that failure.

Problem for MicroSoft is that they missed their first and only exclusive holiday season as the only next gen system out. This year, all three will be out and consumers will have a choice unlike this previous holiday season where if MicrSoft had been ready, they could've taken advantage. They lost that oppertunity.

coolstarwasim
02-13-2006, 12:07 AM
i agree, they should have met demand, made more of them.

Coasterman 20
02-13-2006, 12:14 AM
I have the xbox 360 and the graphic are great and has awesome game play and what I seen form the pictures of PS3 games they look almost the same ,but xbox 360 comes with xbox live which lets you chat and play against other players online and you can download demos,music,and trailers and so far the xbox 360 is worth every dime.

slipknot8527
02-13-2006, 01:41 AM
The only screenshots I have seen from a PS3 game are from the new Medal of Honor: Airborne game...and they look identical to the 360's.

Coaster Freak
02-13-2006, 02:36 PM
I have a 360 and very much impressed by it.....but must admit that I was a little apprehensive since I really didn't like the original Xbox.

As for PS3, I am very very concerned about how much this unit will cost. At the last CES, Pioneer unveiled their first commercial Blu-Ray unit and they estimated that it will retail for $1800 US......so how does Sony plan to make the PS3 a Blu Ray unit and keep the price at less than a 1/3 the price the Pioneer has announced PLUS it also has to play games???

The numbers just don't add up to me!

slipknot8527
02-13-2006, 03:07 PM
All the games will be blu-ray technology as well.

Tanks4me05
02-13-2006, 03:11 PM
I reserved an xbox 360 and CANCELLED my reservation because they said I wouldn't get til march or april, but now it was May or june. And by then, I might be getting the REVOLUTION (depending on release).
But I can't wait to throw the ps3 controller to see if it will come back to me. Haha, I got my Xbox 360 three days before xmas. (Almost no glitches) As for PS3 vs 360, I'm a hard core Microsoft fanboy till the end.

Dan G
02-13-2006, 03:32 PM
And you guys think that Microsoft aren't selling the 360 at a fraction of the cost it actually costs to manufacture the systems? Wake up guys, a lot of companies do it. Microsoft isn't even expecting to make a profit on the 360 until next year or sometime or another from what I've been reading so how is it any different from the PS3?

I read that the cost for the PS3 system itself is around 600 and Sony was selling it in the 400-500 price range. Until I see otherwise, I can't agree with you slipknot because I've read articles stating this.

The reason why these Blu Ray players are so expensive is because it's something new. Did you happen to notice how exceptionally large the Blu Ray players are? Sony's whole marketing scheme is selling the PS3 at a fraction of the cost so they can get Blu Ray players in peoples homes and so they can make money on things revolving around the actual Blu Ray player as well. While they'll be making mad dough on the games, think about all the other things they will be selling to compliment the Blu Ray player.

Believe me, I highly doubt Sony would raise the price to $600, not only is that not smart because parents won't be willing to buy the systems for their kids, but nobody will be willing to spend that much money on a system. If Sony wants to have even the slightest chance of competing with the 360 and Revolution next holiday season, the price will have to be in the same price range of the 360 so parents can actually compare the systems themselves and not the price.

coasterlove
02-13-2006, 04:00 PM
I wouldn't worry about the high price stated for a Blu-Ray DVD player. It's no different with any new technology. At first, it's ridiculously high and the price comes down fairly quickly. Look at those big boxes that played those rectangular things with the black tape in them...I think they were called cassettes and the box was called a VCR??? I'm not sure if that's what they were called but they costs hundreds of dollars and then the price droped and the quality went up. Now you can find these fossils still being made and selling for $20-40.

Even DVD players were very expensive just a couple years ago and now you find most quality ones for under $100 unless it really has some nifty features. Same with the still relatively new DVD recorders, those were near a thousand dollars not long ago and you can find them now between $100 and $200. Technology prices drop fast on most stuff. Blue-Ray will be the same thing.

And there is no way that Sony will price the PS3 for over $500. The only exception to that would be some kind of bundles or something. Even Sony won't be able to sell a system that expensive in enough quantities to be popular. Just look at the PSP. It's doing very good and is a more powerful handheld than the DS but price does matter. Not everyone is willing to spend almost twice as much as the competitor even if it's a more powerful system. People do care about games that are fun and also still within their financial reaches. I'm sure Sony must have notived this and isn't going to price themself out of the market.

Coaster Freak
02-13-2006, 04:24 PM
I read an article that Microsoft was losing $126 US per 360 at the launch....so that means that the system should really retail at a minimum of $526 per unit....and I think that the $126 loss per system is somewhat acceptable. Take the numbers as you want but I still see Sony taking a bigger hit per unit with the PS3.

slipknot8527
02-13-2006, 07:49 PM
Which doesn't matter. As of now, the way I see it, with all the fanoby hype and what not....The PS3 could go for $999 and you could see NO screenshots of any kind, and the controller could not be changed at all, and there would still be lines at midnight for it. And that just makes me sad.

Fantom
02-13-2006, 09:42 PM
^Of course there would be lines around the block. It was like that for almost every system, handheld, etc. before. People don't care how much it costs. Most of the people in line for them are just parents trying to make their spoiled children happy. Most gamers (that I know of anyway) wouldn't pay 500+ dollars for a ps3. It sure as hell wasn't a Halo fan that bought an Xbox 360 on ebay for $2000.

slipknot8527
02-13-2006, 10:19 PM
The point I'm trying to get across is people are paying for the name, and Sony knows it. If I was Sony, I would make the PS3 so insanely expensive, and watch the money roll in.

coolstarwasim
02-13-2006, 10:28 PM
people would actually buy it, if it was $600 or more...!!!

coasterlove
02-14-2006, 12:28 AM
Yes, some people would in fact buy the system for some very high crazy prices. Although not enough people to make the system a huge success. Since it's the number of systems in gamer's hand and the ability to sell a lot of games that makes a system successful, in the long run, their plan would backfire.

Look at the PSP as I described in my previous post, it's a powerful handheld but they haven't sold more than the DS and it's still outselling the PSP because of the much higher price. The same would hold true for the PS3 if it was considerably higher.

slipknot8527
02-14-2006, 04:19 AM
I still maintain that the reason that the DS is outselling the PSP is because Nintendo fans are gamers. They want their gaming anywhere they go. Sony fans are consumers....why would they buy another system to play a smaller version of a game they have at home?

coasterlove
02-14-2006, 11:28 AM
True and also because the DS has some great games that are just simply fun to play. Every month now, the DS gets games that are great and get high scores. Unlike the Gamecube unfortunately, every month in the gaming magazines, the DS has a game or two get outstanding scores and competes for the game of the month if not actually takes the honor.

As for the PS3, no matter the price, some people will buy it regardless. Just as people bought Xbox 360's online for outrageous prices, people would pay extremely high for the PS3. The question is how many? Maybe a few hundred thousand, but that's not enough to have a successful launch.

Maybe a smart move would be to come out at $1,000 for the first week or two because some people would be stupid enough to buy it even though it would be considerably cheaper in just a few weeks. The reason being is that some people just have to be the first to have it. So if they're dumb enough, Sony should take advantage of idiots.

Ultimately though, they need to be competeively priced if they want to dominate. For every hundred dollars more their system costs, the much bigger difference in sales they will see.

I'd say it like this-
If it comes out at $300 (not likely) or so, they have a huge launch selling millions in the first month or basically whatever they're able to manufacture and see them dominate just as much as they did in this last generation.

For $400, it sells very well at launch during the first few weeks still selling millions in the launch window of 90 days, including the holiday season. At the end of this year, they would still trail Xbox 360 in total systems sales simply due to Xbox being out longer, it would only be a matter of time until Sony once again passed MicroSoft. They wouldn't dominate agains them or Nintendo by as big a margin but they would clearly be #1.

At $500, those with money to burn will buy one. Others will think long and hard about it. It will sell reasonably well but far below what the PS2 did at launch. MicroSoft will be able to maintain their lead and even Nintendo releasing around the same time if priced around the $250 mark will be able to compete and possibly outsell the PS3 head to head. Sony would be forced to lower the price at least $100 in the first six month if not three months.

At $600, they sell very low quantities, possibly only a few hundred thousand units for as long as the price is that high. If they did release it this high, they would have to lower it down after the initial fanatics and posers bought it. Give just a few weeks until they would lower after disappointing system and game sales.

Anything higher than that and units move incredibly slow. Remember they have to sell units and a lot of them to keep 3rd party company happy. Nobody wants to make a game and put all that work into it if not that many people have the system and thus, they can't sell a lot of copies. That's why currently the PS2 gets almost every game and Gamecube only gets some select releases for it.

magnumxl2005
02-14-2006, 12:17 PM
Its very hard to rule out which is better when the PS3 is missing a lot of things we need to rule out which system is better. Designers have said PS3 is more powerful and will have slighgtly better graphics than the 360 but not by a great amount. We realy need to wait and see the FINAL specs out for the PS3 to say realy which one is better and im looking forward to the Taipai (sp)? Game show later this week to see if sony reveals anything.

Dan G
02-14-2006, 02:56 PM
I really don't see how people can say this thing is going to cost more than the 360...It's just a dumb marketing idea that I don't see Sony making. I guarantee when it comes out, it will be around the same price as X-Box, and they will be advertising the Blu Ray capabilities like crazy because that is one of the MAIN features PS3 has that the X-Box doesn't and obviously people just like to buy things that are new just to say they have it.

Not only that but where has Microsoft been the last few months...Since Christmas time I haven't seen any major things released for the system, heck I don't think I've seen a commercial for the X-Box since Christmas time. Now is the time that Sony jumps on the 360s slump and take advantage before Halo comes out.

Like I said, Sony wouldn't be stupid enough to sell the new system more than 50 dollars more than the 360. Regardless if they are losing money or not, it's still a bad idea that no company would do especially if your trying to regain your image as the best console maker out there.

slipknot8527
02-14-2006, 03:00 PM
Dan, it's not a slump. First off, the first few months of the year are ALWAYS the slowest for games. Nothing for any system has come out. Secondly, every single launch for every system, including the PS2, has a slow period. Companies work hard to get those launch titles out, then they spend half a year dishing the quality ones out. How soon we forget how dismal the PS2 launch titles were, with the olny redeeming games being maybe The Bouncer.

Nitro1118
02-14-2006, 03:38 PM
Well, I hated the first X-Box, mainly because of the lack of quality games (IMO) and the controller. If I want amazing graphics I'll just play computer games, which have much better graphics than 360 or PS3 will have.

I am positive the most and best games will still go to PS, so I'll be getting the PS3 over 360.

Tanks4me05
02-14-2006, 04:24 PM
What's so special about Blu Ray players? Are they like HD DVD players or something? I have no idea given as aformentioned, I'm a 360 fan till the end.

slipknot8527
02-14-2006, 04:39 PM
Nitro, PS3 and XBOX360 will BOTH have better than PC graphics soon.

Dan G
02-14-2006, 06:30 PM
What's so special about Blu Ray players? Are they like HD DVD players or something? I have no idea given as aformentioned, I'm a 360 fan till the end.

Yeah, that's exactly what it is...It's Sony's version of HD DVDs...There is also another format of HD DVDs that X-Box 360 was initially supposed to have but they didn't put it in. Supposedly they are going to come out with an exterior HD DVD player you can use with your 360, which I think is kinda pointless.

PS3 obviously has the upper hand when it comes to their game and movie formats, I think Blu Ray will be pretty popular once it hits the mainstream.

slipknot8527
02-14-2006, 06:37 PM
I'm just curious...where does your fanboyness for Sony come from? How can yuo say Sony has the upper hand? With what? Sequels to crappy franchises that Nintendo has perfected? But then again...you are only 16....so your first system probaly was a PS1.

I will say though, that the one interestign aspect of the whole Blu-Ray thing is, SOny is talking about packaging different versions of movies together. For instance, lets say you buy Saw 2 on Blu-Ray. Well, in the box, they will also give you a standard DVD and UMD (for your PSP) version of the film.

Dan G
02-14-2006, 07:15 PM
I said Sony has the upper hand in one aspect with the Blu Ray player...I'd easily take an HD DVD player on PS3 than a standard DVD player on Xbox 360, that's all I meant.

BTW, my first system was the original Nintendo hard to believe and Sega. I also played a lot of Sega Saturn and SNES before I got my first PS1. Don't make assumptions that are probably false just because I'm 16.

Nitro1118
02-14-2006, 09:59 PM
slipknot- It is all opinion on what people like. I personally preferred most of the games on PS2 to X-Box. I also thought the PS2 was a lot more simple, straightfoward, and didn't feel like a computer compared to X-Box. Nintendo 64 was fantastic, but Gamecube was ehhhhh. I am holding out for another year until I see what each system can do before I make that $400 or so decision, but right now, I am leaning towards the product that I trust and have preferred in the past (and that product is Sony's PS).

DemonHunter4337
02-18-2006, 10:38 PM
Instead of rushing out to buy each and every system just because it is new and "hot". I am going to wait and see which systems have the games that I want to play. To me that just makes more sense but this is all just what I would do.

coasterlove
02-19-2006, 12:56 AM
That's the smart thing to do. In my opinion, the worst time to buy a system is at launch. No matter how great the launch lineup is, it will be the time with the least games as well as little great games worth owning. On top of that, the system is at it's most expensive. The way I see it, let others run out and buy it and play with what few great games are out, I'll wait a few months until demand has died down and the better games start to come out. If you look at any system that has ever come out, very few of their 10 best games are from that first six months after launch.

Coaster Freak
02-20-2006, 09:58 AM
Here is something to read and think about....

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/060219/electronics_sony.html?.v=1

Definitely doesn't sound good on Sony's part.

coasterlove
02-21-2006, 03:33 AM
Here's another link about that with a little bit more info-
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6144600.html

If it's true that it will cost Sony $800-900 to manufacture PS3's, that means one thing for their next gen console...death. Even with their name and power, could they get people in enough numbers to buy a system for the $600 or 700 they would have to sell it for at the least. Even then, the amount of money they would lose either way would unimaginable. Also, if their launch slips to 2007 and the Xbox360 picks up steam as well the Revolution having a successful launch, we could very well see Sony slip to #3 in the console wars.

Martin
02-21-2006, 08:50 AM
$900? Now that is ridiculous. I thought the 360 had high prices, but people will be putting down practically a grand for a gaming console. There is no way I can con my mom into buying that, because I won't have that kind of money. I think I am better off sticking with my PS2 for a good while.

slipknot8527
02-21-2006, 10:25 AM
Guys, once again, we are jumping to conclusions. For every XBOX and PS2 that was sold, Microsoft and SOny both lost money.....but they can afford it. They are Microsoft and SOny..I mean, it's pocket change for them.

Coaster Freak
02-21-2006, 12:26 PM
I think this situation can be viewed in two very different ways. From the gamers side who wants the most bang for their buck and then there is the business person who sees the numbers and shakes their head...this is the focal point of my argument.

While true that both Sony and Microsoft initially sell consoles at a loss, what has to be questioned is how much of a per unit loss is acceptable. For both the Xbox and the Xbox360 analysts pegged the initial per unit loss at $126 US with Mircrosoft predicting that the systems will eventually turn a profit after 4-5 years....which was true for the Xbox and the 360 we'll just have to wait and see.

In Sony's case, I highly doubt many shareholders will be happy about a $300 - 400 initial loss per unit just to make the system 'affordable'. Once again the numbers just don't make sense. It just seems to me that economic feasability has completely been forgotten about.

coasterlove
02-21-2006, 01:17 PM
I wouldn't consider it jumping to conclusion ...if the possibility of it costing $800 or $900 to manufacture is true. My whole arguement stands on that possibility, if it turns out to be false, than my opinion is irrelevant.

See, even if Sony does take a loss on each system, it's still a matter of how much. I still don't think any system, even one by the almighty Sony can be really successful with an initial price tag of over $500. I'd say that for 90% of gamers, that's just too much money. Sure, Xbox, PS2 and now Xbox360 sold systems for a loss but a marginal one to sell for a reasonable price of $300 or $400.

If Sony sells for a comparable loss, it would still have a price tag of $700 or $800! And if they want to sell for $500 or less, they could be taking a $300 or $400 loss on each system sold. Imagine that in the first year, they could sell easily 10 million consoles before they're able to lower manufacturer costs and you're talking about as much as a $3 or $4 billion dollar loss in sales of consoles. Let's look at that in numbers... $3,000,000,000 or $4,000,000,000. That's tremendous loss no matter how you look at it.

And we haven't hit on the possibility that they might miss this holiday season as well. This would further hurt Sony. They're still talking about a spring release, at least in Japan. I hate to break it to them but spring starts next month and is approximately three months long extending in to June. Does anyone see it being likely they're releasing in the next four months?

If PS3 does in fact come out next year as opposed to releasing in time for this holiday, they're in trouble. You'll have Xbox 360 with a fairly strong library of games by that point, including a possible Halo 3. Also, they might drop the price by then for the top version (hard drive, etc) to $350 or even $300. And the core version might be $250 or even as low as $200 then, who knows? While at Nintendo, theyce stated that do not intend on missing this holiday season and want to be out by Thanksgiving. They will likely be under $300 and I've heard $250 as a possible figure. They would hope to have a decent library of games as well as some unique and innovative titles. So both Microsoft and Nintendo would have the advantage of this holiday season with no Sony PS3 to steal their thunder. Then if the PS3 does come out after the holidays at a very high price tag, it doesn't look good for them.

Again, everything I've said is based on if the report ends up holding true. I think there is certainly at least some truth to it but we'll see. Based on this story, Sony's stock has dropped a substantial amount in Japan over the last couple days. And I'll fairly admit, the Nintendo fanboy in me wants very much for it to be true but I have to keep an open mind and have some integrity and be honest.

Oh hell with that....KICK ASS NINTENDO!

nick88
02-21-2006, 01:32 PM
Ive seen a movie clip of the new metal gear solid 4 Sons of the Patriots and it looks up to par against Xbox360's graphics. As for price, ive read anything from $500 to $800 but not any higher.

Dan G
02-21-2006, 02:51 PM
WHOA WHOA WHOA!!! Just because it's costing $900 to make doesn't mean that's how much it's going to cost on the market...By all means the 360 was nowhere near being only 400 dollars, that's just what they sell it on the market as so they actually get customers. They aren't going to make money at first of course, but as the price goes down they will. Like someone else said, even if it takes 4-5 years they'll still end up making a profit. With the addition of the Blu Ray player as well, theres another market that the PS3 is opening up for customers as well as Sony. I really don't think we should have to worry about the price being over $500.

Komatz70
02-21-2006, 03:31 PM
As long as people are willing to pay for they, they will charge whatever they can as long as sales are there.. I doubt the XBox 360 will go down anytime soon in price as they still have a back orders out the ying yang for them...Heck, Wal-mart cant even keep them in stock.

coasterlove
02-21-2006, 04:03 PM
WHOA WHOA WHOA!!! Just because it's costing $900 to make doesn't mean that's how much it's going to cost on the market...By all means the 360 was nowhere near being only 400 dollars

Correct, but the Xbox 360 is only losing about $126 a console if information is correct. Also, for the PS3 to sell for the $500 you mentioned, they would be losing about $400 a system if the numbers are correct for that as well. So look at the figure I gave of a loss of $4 billion dollars. That's a lot of money. And that doesn't even take into consideration if the system launch slips into 2007.

Coaster Freak
02-21-2006, 04:24 PM
The following excerpt is from a Business Week article (http://businessweek.com/technology/content/nov2005/tc20051122_410710.htm) which provides an estimate for the loss per unit of a 360:

BREAKING IT DOWN. An up-close look at the components and other materials used in the high-end version of the Xbox 360, which contains a hard drive, found that the materials inside the unit cost Microsoft $470 before assembly. The console sells at retail for $399, meaning a loss of $71 per unit -- and that is just the start.

Other items packaged with the console -- including the power supply, cables, and controllers -- add another $55 to Microsoft's cost, pushing the loss per unit to $126. These estimates include assumptions that Microsoft is getting a discount on many components.

That was the case with the first Xbox console, which contained about $323 worth of parts and materials when released, but sold at retail for $299. It's certainly not going to help Microsoft reverse the trend of losses in its home-entertainment segment. In the fiscal year ended June 30, that unit lost $391 million on sales just shy of $3.25 billion. That's a little more than 8% of Microsoft's total sales of $39.8 billion.

A Microsoft spokeswoman said that the company's plan calls for a "gross margin neutral" strategy through 2006, meaning that between the sales of consoles, game software, and accessories, it expects to essentially break even. Profits should follow in 2007.

Dan G
02-21-2006, 06:10 PM
The system's retail price is not known. Sony Computer Entertainment president and "father of the PlayStation" Ken Kutaragi points out "It'll be expensive" and "I'm aware that with all these technologies, the PS3 can't be offered at a price that's targeted towards households. I think everyone can still buy it if they wanted to," said Kutaragi to a mostly Japanese crowd. "But we're aiming for consumers throughout the world. So we're going to have to do our best [in containing the price]". In contrast Kazuo Hirai, president of Sony Computer Entertainment America, says the PS3 will not be expensive and that it will be competitively priced against the Xbox 360.

Even if the cost 900 dollars to make it, and they lost $500 dollars on every system sold, I think it would virtually pay itself off if enough systems were sold. You have to keep in mind that Sony gets a cut out of the games being sold and with the Blu Ray player, it expands the possibilities as well. Besides, the cost of materials is supposed to go down 300 dollars within the next few years so even if they do lose a significiant amount of money on this product, it's going to end up paying off. Just look, PS2 has been on the market for 7 years now, give PS3 7 years and I'm sure Sony will bringing in the dough on the systems. Heck, I'd give them 3-5 years and I still think they'd have their debt from the systems paid off. It's a business and you have to be willing to sacrifice certain things to make a profit and if it takes 7 years to do so then so be it. In the end, millions of people will have this system in a matter of a few years and Sony will STILL be loaded, so what's it matter if they lose some money the first year the console is sold?

Coaster Freak
02-24-2006, 10:15 AM
Here is a recent article that details the estiamted cost breakdown of the PS3. Of significance is the impact that the BluRay drive will have on the cost....that is $200-300 in materials per console.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6144790.html

DemonHunter4337
02-26-2006, 05:30 PM
To be honest the PS3 has yet to really show me anything to impress me (except for the stills from MGS4 and KZ2). I am thinking about getting an XBOX 360 because I have played some demos of games that really got me hooked (Full Auto, Call of Duty 2). Plus I am impressed with how Elder Scrolls 4 is shapping up.

Dan G
02-27-2006, 07:23 PM
*Sigh of Relieft* - Looks like Sony is still aiming to launch PS3 in Spring 2006.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/690/690176p1.html

slipknot8527
02-27-2006, 10:54 PM
*phew*

Now all those screenshots, mock ups, videos, and boatloads of info we have seen on the system will be put to the test.

Dan G
02-27-2006, 11:21 PM
Im hoping the system makes it to stores by the end of May, but if not I'll be happy if it came out in October...If so, it'll release around my bday and I'll have more time to save money for my computer before I put any money towards the system. Although I hope it does come out in May so I won't have to go another year or so playing Madden 07 on my PS2 that freezes everytime I play the game. Either way, I'll be happy in some aspect, I'd rather them take the time and get everything perfected instead of rushing it, since we all know what happens when a company rushes a system to the shelves. *cough*360*cough*

Fantom
02-28-2006, 12:01 AM
Im hoping the system makes it to stores by the end of May, but if not I'll be happy if it came out in October...If so, it'll release around my bday and I'll have more time to save money for my computer before I put any money towards the system. Although I hope it does come out in May so I won't have to go another year or so playing Madden 07 on my PS2 that freezes everytime I play the game. Either way, I'll be happy in some aspect, I'd rather them take the time and get everything perfected instead of rushing it, since we all know what happens when a company rushes a system to the shelves. *cough*360*cough*

I really wanna know how your madden 07 keeps freezing on ps2. Can you buy games that haven't come out yet? I really want the new LoZ. I'll pay you back.;)

Also, with the *cough* around the 360, are you forgetting what happened in late 99 early 00 with the earlier mentioned ps2, sony's own system? You think they all would have learned from that.

I hope ps3 comes out in spring even though I won't get it. I liked how the psp came out in spring. It made everything so much easier for everybody.

Dan G
02-28-2006, 12:09 AM
I really wanna know how your madden 07 keeps freezing on ps2. Can you buy games that haven't come out yet? I really want the new LoZ. I'll pay you back.;)

Haha, I'm saying I don't want to have to worry about 07 freezing on my PS2 if it comes down to it...06 freezes on it as it is, with all the ad-ons, I don't know if my PS2 will be able to survivie another upgrade. That's why I'm hoping for PS3. :D

Coaster Freak
02-28-2006, 09:54 AM
*Sigh of Relieft* - Looks like Sony is still aiming to launch PS3 in Spring 2006.

The key word is 'aiming'. According to this article, a launch delay is probable.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6144963.html

There are too many contradictory reports out there to really talk about the PS3 release date.

Coaster Freak
03-15-2006, 04:34 PM
Sony has announced today that the PS3 will launch this fall simultaneously , just as Microsoft did , although they say that they won't have the lack of stock that plagued the 360s launch. Only key details missing now is the price and the hard drive!

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6145972.html

slipknot8527
03-15-2006, 05:19 PM
But of course they will. Whatever numbers the promise to ship is never met, thus the shortage for the PS2, XBOX, Gamecube, and 360 at launch.

Martin
03-20-2006, 10:09 AM
When is the PS3 coming out? There have been many fan sites saying Spring, while other fan sites say Fall. Some even predict next year I believe.

slipknot8527
03-20-2006, 12:41 PM
there is a worldwide launch for it in November.

Martin
03-20-2006, 03:34 PM
Okay, thanks for that information slipknot. If there is a shortage of consoles, hopefully it isn't as bad as it was for the 360. Where there was a few moths span when no stores had the system.

slipknot8527
03-20-2006, 03:44 PM
I'm still looking for one. I have the money, but everyone is sold out.

Martin
03-20-2006, 03:57 PM
EB Games and Game Stop seem to have them in stock:
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/systems/xbox360/#bundle4
http://gamestop.com/productmerch.asp?groupid=419

siestakey
03-20-2006, 04:07 PM
I heard it got delayed from a fall release of PS3 because Halo 3 was coming out on the same date.
My Xbox 360 scratches my games. I can't play certain levels of G.R.A.W. because of scratches, COD2 gets messed up because of scratches (those are my two fav games).

slipknot8527
03-20-2006, 04:19 PM
Are you playing with your 360 standing upright? I know that with the PS2, thats what scratched all my games up.

I tried EB games and Gamestop for miles around, no one has them. My best bet is a wal mart in alpharetta that says they will have them between 6 am and 8 am tomorrow.

Martin
03-20-2006, 05:01 PM
Have you considered buying it online from EB Games or Gamestop slipknot? They probably have more in stock than the retail stores do.

slipknot8527
03-20-2006, 05:05 PM
Well, all they have is the bundles, which run for $600 and upwards. But like I said, I should have mine tomorrow morning. All this is a distraction until the Revolution comes out anyways. :)

Martin
03-20-2006, 05:42 PM
Good luck with getting one tomorrow morning, hopefully you can finall get your hands on the 360.

siestakey
03-20-2006, 07:49 PM
Thanks slipknot, I realized that that must be what's doing it, the same thing happened when I stood up my PS2, I remember. What if PS3 can only stand verticallly? And it scratches games?

Martin
03-20-2006, 08:59 PM
^ No, it can site on its side horizantally:
http://www.ps3-hacks.com/images/real-ps3-front.jpg

slipknot8527
03-21-2006, 09:02 AM
HIYO! Got my XBOX this morning after waiting around at wal-mart for an hour. I got the premium package, as well as Fight Night Round 3. I should be picking up Elders Scrolls: Oblivion today as well.

slipknot8527
03-21-2006, 09:04 AM
HIYO! Got my XBOX this morning after waiting around at wal-mart for an hour. I got the premium package, as well as Fight Night Round 3. I should be picking up Elders Scrolls: Oblivion today as well.

Siestakey, is G.R.A.W. that good? I think it's the highest rated 360 game on IGN, but I never could get into the other Ghost Recons.

Martin
03-21-2006, 04:04 PM
Having fun with the new 360 slipknot? Yeah, I think IGN rated it something like a 9.4. The graphics look pretty sweet from the screenshots.

Tanks4me05
03-21-2006, 04:36 PM
^ I got an Xbox 360 3 days before Christmas, and when I got Call of Duty 2, PGR3, and NFS: MW within the following 72 hours, I saw the graphics, and they were AMAZING. The gameplay is just unbelievable, and the added features are also unbelievable. It is just so awesome! Although I do lag when playing Live on Call of Duty 2 on more than 1 occasion, it is still amazing. Everything about it is just so amazing. It's perfect.

slipknot8527
03-21-2006, 07:55 PM
Man, I picked up Oblivion today. The graphics are absolutely breathtaking. I was a little concerned that the game would be overwhelming, seeing as how you can pick up ANYTHING, lots of inventory screens, mixing potions and all that. But it's suprisingly intuitive with a great tutorial to help you out. Anyone out there with an XBOX 360 needs to get this game. It also marks the first time my jaw has dropped due to the gorgeous graphics.

Tanks4me05
03-21-2006, 08:06 PM
^You make me want to download the demo when it comes out. Speaking of demos, I downloaded Burnout: Revenge demo, and the graphics are unbelievable. When they said the cars can 3 times more deformed, apparently they meant it. The crashes RULED! I am saying this only on the demo and I do not have an HDTV, so for you HDTV owners, you will have a better time than me, and I love this console.