PDA

View Full Version : 2 New Screamin Squirrels

Jerry S
02-19-2006, 01:35 PM
Nope, not in the U.S., but they did seem to gain popularity in Italy, so China recently opened one, and one is being built in St. Petersburg, Russia. I guess they are pretty fun rides, I hope they build one nearby soon, even though it's more like a flat ride then a coaster.

http://www.rcdb.com/installationresult.htm?column=1,10,3,4,5&order=1,2&model=280

Worm
02-20-2006, 02:28 PM
those ride looks actually REALLY intense

just imagine the airtime going from upright to upside down?

sfft_2108
02-20-2006, 02:38 PM
For some reason, I really don't like these. They don't amuse me.

Zingoman
02-20-2006, 02:59 PM
^How numb can you be? Do you enjoy anything in life at all? I don't see how that is even possible to ride a thing like that and not be amused in some way or another! They look painful to me, but that would not stop me from trying one. Has anyone here ridden one yet?

(sfft_2108, I did not mean any insult in that)

Carowinds 73-03
02-20-2006, 06:11 PM
I presonally think they look great and i would love to ride one. Just hope someone builds one in the US sometime.

SFKK GUY
02-20-2006, 06:13 PM
So what happened to that rumored Hershey Park screaming squirrel? Wasn't it suppose to be the first S&S SS made

^lol S&S SS..that's funny...or is that just me.

Carowinds 73-03
02-20-2006, 06:19 PM
I think Hershey was haveing problems with S&S and backed out of the deal.

BryanWood
02-20-2006, 06:31 PM
even though it's more like a flat ride then a coaster.

Really? I didn't know that flat rides had lift hills or run on a complete track circuit!

That was Interactive Rides and their Frequent Faller. The FF is a different ride system than Screamin' Squirrel...the only similarity is the way the track looks to an untrained eye.

Katie
02-20-2006, 06:33 PM
Hershey's FF went to court, because of Interactive rides raising the price of the coaster. AFTER they had signed the contract. Big No-No! There will probably never be a FF in Hershey ever.

Carowinds 73-03
02-20-2006, 06:44 PM
Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Steven
02-20-2006, 06:48 PM
...even though it's more like a flat ride then a coaster.
Jerry... what are you smoking? I want some.

Seriously, having ridden the prototype, I can say for sure that it IS NOT a flat ride.

It has the basics... trains (one car trains), track, lift hill, hills, drops, valleys, and brakes. It even has inversions (odd ones, but you are inverted).

It also has more complex features, such as an Allen-Bradley PLC, blocking, proxy sensors, etc. found in other coasters.

Oh, and most importantly, it rides like one.

If I were to put it in any category, it would be like a wild mouse/mad mouse-type operation, since I have also ridden and operated an Arrow Mad Mouse.

As far as the 2 new installations... I just wish they had them in the US because it was a fun ride.

rlrcstrfreak
02-20-2006, 07:26 PM
I have seen thos on RCDB a while back.. And I hope they get some in the US. I dont understand why they dont already have them, we have the most coasters.. why not this?!?!

cannonballer
02-20-2006, 07:46 PM
If the whole ride spun around on a turntable then MAYBE and only MAYBE could even be CONFUSED as a flatride!

sfft_2108
02-20-2006, 08:18 PM
^How numb can you be? Do you enjoy anything in life at all? I don't see how that is even possible to ride a thing like that and not be amused in some way or another! They look painful to me, but that would not stop me from trying one. Has anyone here ridden one yet?

(sfft_2108, I did not mean any insult in that)
I guess I just have to ride it first. That's all. I didn't say I hated the design and all.

Hank
02-20-2006, 08:35 PM
Does anyone know what type of lift mechanism there is on a Screaming Squirrel?

JamMasterJ
02-20-2006, 08:54 PM
That thing looks awesome, it'd be really cool if BGW got one:)-wishful thinking.

Jerry S
02-20-2006, 09:07 PM
Jerry... what are you smoking? I want some.

I'll need your address and a fake name.

I do know it's a coaster, and a "rodent" one as you said, but it, as well as a Wild Mouse, has one typical design, and cannot be expanded into much, unless they threw some dips and hilsl in there, than it would be more exciting durning the straight parts (the right side up sections). Another good way to customize the ride would be like what Dollywood did with Timber Tower; it has effects when the ride topples, and people "fall" into spikes, water or fire. They could add these effect right up to the part where the ride flips upside down, because there isn't anything under those parts, the track goes further and further back each time:

http://www.rcdb.com/ig2942.htm

Also you can see there the ride uses a chain for a lift.

SFKK GUY
03-04-2006, 09:06 PM
That was Interactive Rides and their Frequent Faller. The FF is a different ride system than Screamin' Squirrel...the only similarity is the way the track looks to an untrained eye.

My bad. Either one of them still looks insane. I was just wondering if they would be more comfortable with a restraint system like Premier has (FOF, Joker's Jinx). But then again I haven't ridden one so it could be just fine.

bk2004
03-04-2006, 11:50 PM
Sequoia Adventure seems to fit in well. Still looks like the coaster is about to fall over with its slanting supports. Kind of funny.

Chris L
03-04-2006, 11:57 PM

You're confusing Hersheypark's Turbulence* (Interactive Rides Frequent Faller coaster) with this S&S Screaming Squirrel coaster. The ride structures look similar, but are completely different experiences.

* Announced in a press release, but was never built. Read stories below. :)

http://www.amusementbusiness.com/amusementbusiness/industrynews/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000735086

http://www.dailyitem.com/archive/2004/1210/biz/stories/05biz.htm

D3athCab
03-07-2006, 07:54 PM
Yeah, yesterday I was on RCDB and Sequoia Adventure came up as the Random Roller Coaster on the front page. I was amazed by it and I have never heard of a "Saxophone" inversion until then. It looks like a lot of fun, but are they really safe?

And Hersheypark's coaster that they were going to make was going to be called "Turbulence". I read an article about it in the newspaper, and I think I cut out the article, so it might be in one of my stashes of junk. The article had a picture of what it would look like, and I thought it looked like fun. I live less than a half an hour away from Hersheypark. But Hershey just made their Storm Runner in '04. I mean, I read in a magazine that Herseypark tries to make a new ride every year, but 2 huge expensive coasters in 2 years?
But darn Hersheypark for taking out their Giant Wheel for the Turbulence that never even happened.

Will I ever have a chance to ride a Sky Wheel???

BGWfanatic
03-07-2006, 08:07 PM
you can find a great detailed description of what exactly the Screamin' Squirrel is and what its like to ride it (by some one who has) here...
http://www.screamscape.com/html/s_s_screaming_squirrel.htm

Jerry S
06-14-2006, 09:48 AM
Found some new stuff. The one theu built in China is known to be operationg, as is identical to the one in Gardaland.

http://www.rcdb.com/id3465.htm

The one that is in Russia, on the other hand, will have only 2 saxophones, and will have lateral turns, which I assume are different from those at the beginning and end of the ride.

http://www.rcdb.com/id3408.htm