PDA

View Full Version : What is your worst fear while on a roller coaster?

siestakey
03-19-2006, 06:06 PM
Well, the topic is the point of the thread, state what scares you most while your on a coaster, or what you are afraid of that might, but very unlikely happen?

coasterdude28
03-19-2006, 06:10 PM
Nothing really scare me on coaster. There are a few things that I occasionally think about but not always. One would be getting hit by a bird during the launch on KK or any other rocket in the front row. I can't imagine the pain, and possible death. Another would be the restraints failing. I know this is so very unlikely of happening but I occasionally think about that. Nothing that really scares me though.

Carowinds 73-03
03-19-2006, 06:57 PM
I guess my worst fear (most like the same for everyone) is that the train will de-rail about 100-200ft ft up. Not a big deal, atleast i'll die doing something i love.

Ryan F
03-19-2006, 07:30 PM
My worst fear is the jackas* coaster enthusiast a few rows in front of me showing off his 1 click skills and falling out or flying back and hitting me. Or the jackas* enthusiast in the front row filming and taking pictures loses his camera and hits me.

So, I guess you can say my biggest fear is jackas* coaster entusiasts.

CP Maverick
03-19-2006, 07:36 PM
My worst fear is the jackas* coaster enthusiast a few rows in front of me showing off his 1 click skills and falling out or flying back and hitting me. Or the jackas* enthusiast in the front row filming and taking pictures loses his camera and hits me.

So, I guess you can say my biggest fear is jackas* coaster entusiasts.
+1

Even talking to some of them scares me. I can't imagine sitting behind myself when I lose my camera or fall out.

apsterling
03-19-2006, 07:44 PM
I have to say for me, It randomly start pouring rain, in a rocket/air launch. It happened on Hypersonic, and it Hurt. Really bad.

nickolas_adam69
03-19-2006, 07:53 PM
My biggest fear would probably being stuck somewhere on a ride with OTSR's. I'm clausterphobic and get freeked out whenever I cant move around freelly, and I've had some bad experiences with OTSR's at carnivals where I was the lucky guy whose restraint got stuck on a KAMIKAZI and was left on for 3 addition cycles to see if that would unlock the OTSR's. Finnally two guys that smelled like beer and weed managed to break the hinge and get me out, but it's not something I'd like to experience again. I'll still go on rides that have them, but I still have a fear of something similar happening.

The Gent
03-19-2006, 08:02 PM
Once, @ Disneyworld, I had some idiots throwing cookies over their shoulder. A couple hit me in the face. So I fear stupidity.

Seen Final Destination 3?

slipknot8527
03-19-2006, 08:24 PM
My only fear is for some reason, I get freaked out that we are going to start rolling back on the chain lift....I know its not realistic, but man would that suck.

siestakey
03-19-2006, 08:31 PM
My biggest fear would probably being stuck somewhere on a ride with OTSR's. I'm clausterphobic and get freeked out whenever I cant move around freelly, and I've had some bad experiences with OTSR's at carnivals where I was the lucky guy whose restraint got stuck on a KAMIKAZI and was left on for 3 addition cycles to see if that would unlock the OTSR's. Finnally two guys that smelled like beer and weed managed to break the hinge and get me out, but it's not something I'd like to experience again. I'll still go on rides that have them, but I still have a fear of something similar happening.
lol, on Kingda Ka, that ride always breaks down, like every 10 minutes, and towards the end of the season, they would leave the train out on the launch track, and those riders would kind of be the test dummies. One time, I was on it with 3 of my friends when it broke down, and this one kid started saying over and over, for MORE than 10 seconds, "In 10 seconds I'm gonna start freakin' out" because he get caustrophobic.

BGWfanatic
03-19-2006, 08:45 PM
My biggest fear would have to be that the train is going to get stuck upside down during an inversion. I Would Freak Out!

Leo C
03-19-2006, 08:46 PM
I would think fear is not much of a topic for enthusiasts. If we were surrounded in fear we probably wouldn't be enthusiasts. After working at a park I have faith mechanics examine and walk the ride, test runs and safety checks go through. I like the visibility of a state inspection sticker as well. If I worried about anything it would have been a camera I had in my hand yet had tethered to my hand/pants before. Though I've sucessfully done it time and time again in the past I now have a paranoia about my wallet and keys in my pocket. During my last few rides I've held my hands not on the restraint but on my pockets.

NITROS AIRTIME
03-19-2006, 08:46 PM
I always have had a nervous habit of checking and rechecking my restraints either going up the lift hill or right before a launch, in fear of it not working, which would result in me falling to my death.

Also, I've always imagined a scene where I get stuck at a top of the lift hill, and they can't bring down the coaster at all. So the only way to get out is to un-buckle your restraints, stand up, and carefully climb into a cherry picker 200 feet up.

i should also mention I have a fear of Dropzone, at PKD, where somehow the breaks wouldn't work, and you just fall about 300 feet and just hit the ground with that force.

I've never been scared of getting hit by something though

Leo C
03-19-2006, 09:09 PM
I don't know which park it was at but once or twice I've come to realization they didn't check my restraints. Of course though I went through the responsibility of bucking and racheting down the devices. I'm here so it was all good.

Martin
03-19-2006, 09:13 PM
My biggest fear on rockets is the cable snapping and sending shards at me, a la TTD. Other than that and the fear of falling out I feel pretty secure and stable on coasters.

VekomahangNbang
03-19-2006, 09:52 PM
My worst fear is getting slammed into the side of the car by the occiacial huge 300 pound guy next to me.

Thunderhawk
03-19-2006, 10:14 PM
I do the constantly checking and rechecking restraints thing on lift hills, too. I guess I'm not 100% over my fear of "hey what if this thing fails", probably because I am a bigger guy to begin with.

sfft_2108
03-19-2006, 11:14 PM
Dang, I didn't know that all yall have fears. Geez. I don't belive I have one.

DmnAdam14113
03-19-2006, 11:34 PM
My fear like some others would have to be the restraints failing. Especially on those coasters with no back-up (ie. no seatbelt as well as restraint.)

Cephas
03-20-2006, 03:02 PM
When I'm waiting in a long line, I'm always afraid the ride will break down.

This fear stems out of an experience I had at SFDL. I waited an hour and a half for superman, but the thing broke down right as I was getting on. It closed for the rest of the day. Good thing I had gotten the credit that morning.

Martin
03-20-2006, 03:05 PM
I love when the ride breaks down because everyone leaves the line and the breakdown is very brief. I was waiting in line for Nitro and there was something wrong with the lift, as it wasn't engaging when the train swooped over to it. Tons of people came out of line saying, "I don't want to be on the six o'clock news." and such. The breakdown ended up being very brief and I was on in minutes.

Let me rephrase that. I like it when B&M's breakdown.

Tanks4me05
03-20-2006, 03:10 PM
It's not on coasters, but more on different rides. For pretty much any Log Flume, I have a death grip on the handles as they have no restraints. For Shoot The Chutes, I never rode them as in 2003, when HP's model crashed (I saw the last people being evacuated) I got pretty intimidated, never riding one, although I know the chances of that happening to me are extremely rare. Also, one of my friends went on Silver Star at SFDL, and it was E Stopped, and his head was banged against the sides somehow, which kept me away from any Enterprise style ride until the 2005 season when I finally rode NY State Fair's model. For coasters, nothing really.

Martin
03-20-2006, 03:28 PM
^ Yeah me too, I always have the feeling that I am going to completely fly out of the flume on the drops. They are nothing short of fun though.

tommyistommy
03-20-2006, 04:25 PM
Restraint popping out. Only on rides like nitro do I think about that. Nothing else scares me about coasters, but I pretty much hate all flat rides.

Roller8652
03-20-2006, 06:00 PM
My biggest fear is getting hit in the head by a goose because when i was at SFDL on superman i was the next one to get on and a guy came of hada seizer and said he was hit by a goose on the way down the hill. THat ride freak me and my friend out we were ducking our heads.

siestakey
03-20-2006, 07:28 PM
Hehe, on Big Bad Wolf (BGW) I had a thought of the train breaking off and falling into the water and me being stuck in my seat because of the restraint, if the coaster comes off the track, will the restraints be open-able?

Zingoman
03-20-2006, 07:49 PM
Ok, most of these fears have gone by now, but some still linger for me.

On any suspended coaster, but mostly on PKI's Top Gun, I'm afraid that the train will swing too far and hit a support column, or that the beam hooking the track to the support pole will break off and send the track crashing to the ground. It only scares me if I'm thinking about it. It doesn't pop into my head anymore though on it's own.

I really only psyc myself out on rides anymore, and mostly on flats. MaXair if the bearing broke and the entire gondola fell from the arm, Enterprise car flying off, Zipper bearing brakes and the entire ride falls from the structure, Rainbow/Flying Carpet/Falling Star ride leveling mechanism fails and the car swings down upside down and crushes riders underneith, swinging ship ride in high wind causes it to swing into a support pole, sky ride the cable breaks. If I invent any of those scenarios while I'm on a ride I can get very wrestless. I'm quite comfortable on coasters though, unless I invent a freak event in my head.

That's the fun or "fear" factor of rides though, and escaping those "possible" accidents are supposed to be the lure. I think it's fun to scare myself, but I have no real fears.

siestakey
03-20-2006, 07:55 PM
I get nervous on Ka sometimes, right before I launch, I think everyone does, occasionally I have the thought of the train falling off, lol, or launching to fast, oooor the launch suddenly haulting and getting the worst whiplash in the world and probably die, that happened to my K'Nex coaster a few times...poor little K'Nex people.

Brian F
03-24-2006, 05:43 AM
My biggest fear is getting hit in the head by a goose because when i was at SFDL on superman i was the next one to get on and a guy came of hada seizer and said he was hit by a goose on the way down the hill. THat ride freak me and my friend out we were ducking our heads.

WHAT? Maybe my biggest fear is posts by semi-literate coaster enthusiasts.

Actually, I do have one fear when on coasters. I'm not too worried about crashes, accidents or any other form of death, since coasters are well checked and maintained. The one thing that truly does scare me- Barf. Actually, I'm only afraid of someone in front of me puking.If it happens behind me, I'd probably find it rather funny.

psonio7
03-24-2006, 06:48 AM
I don't have the fear of the restraints failing. I figure gravity will keep me in the ride for the most part.

Except I do have "problems" riding B&M flyers. I hate the fact that a restraint with the ability to open (no matter how safe) and just fall out. If your restraint fails on lets say a regular sit down coaster, you still will be sitting it, just have to really hold on. But if Superman Ultimate Flight fails on the lift, then straight down you go. Its not a fear, but mortality factor, I can't ride B&M flyers even remotely enjoyable anymore.

I don't have that problem with Vekoma Flyers though, they have that double strap set up that buckles in place, makes me feel all better.

Worm
03-24-2006, 07:53 AM
my biggest fears are someone puking and sometimes heights. (see, we don't have THAT high coasters in SA, ya know) but i lost my fear of heights when i bungee jumped of a 500 foot bridge. IT WAS AWESOME!

Matt M
03-24-2006, 07:55 AM
My biggest fear is that I'll sit next to someone from the New York/New Jersey area.

Marc
03-24-2006, 08:22 AM
I get nervous on Ka sometimes, right before I launch, I think everyone does, occasionally I have the thought of the train falling off, lol, or launching to fast, oooor the launch suddenly haulting and getting the worst whiplash in the world and probably die, that happened to my K'Nex coaster a few times...poor little K'Nex people.

Mid launch estop. It's happened many times on TTD. In fact, I was standing right next to the launch track when it happened once. The hydraulics caused an estop. The motors shut off and the brakes popped up simultaneously. The riders didn't get whiplash. Some of them were even laughing about what happened.

Your much more likely to get hit by someones cell phone or other loose items than get hit by anything from the ride. My favorite is when someone throws a rock at a moving train.

April_fool_79
03-24-2006, 12:23 PM
My only fear is someone puking and me getting hit with it. YUCK. I'm not concerned with the ride crashing and killing me, because we see how few times that's actually happened. The majority of the accidents at major theme parks (I'm not talking about carnivals) are due to rider stupidity. Having worked at theme parks for so long, even if nobody bothers to check my restraint (which has never happened, but still ... ), I'm sure I'd know if it wasn't fastened properly, and I'd raise all kinds of heck if they tried to dispatch the train.

But I've seen numerous people puke on rides and it hit someone else. I even had a nice chain of 8 people get sick on a Spider I was running one time.

magnumxl2005
03-24-2006, 12:37 PM
I to have seen TTD Estop one summer night in 2004, it was dark and they brough the train back very slowly. They could only hold the magnets down for about 4 secs. im guesing that the computer doesn't allow it to be held down for more time for safety. Ok now..my biggest fear while on a ride is the restraint coming loose.

PKIDelirium
03-24-2006, 03:34 PM
Hehe, on Big Bad Wolf (BGW) I had a thought of the train breaking off and falling into the water and me being stuck in my seat because of the restraint, if the coaster comes off the track, will the restraints be open-able?

......WTF?

Chris L
03-24-2006, 04:48 PM
I don't have any fears about safety restraints failing on roller coasters, but everytime I get on a Wave Swinger type ride, a particular fear never ceases to come up. The fear that the chains that attach my hanging seat to the top of the spinning top will snap loose and due to the centrifugal force of the ride' swinging motion, I'd be flung (while still in my swing) some 50-feet off into the midway at a speed of 40 mph to the ground below.

And occasionally, when I board a huge roller coaster that has a lot of dynamic turns but has trains in which there is an individual lapbar without a seat-belt attachment [i.e. Goliath at Magic Mountain] (or a seatbelt around the waist), I sometimes think about what could happen if something were to go wrong.

nickolas_adam69
03-24-2006, 04:52 PM
I've seen numerous people puke on rides and it hit someone else. I even had a nice chain of 8 people get sick on a Spider I was running (http://www.thrillnetwork.com/boards/showthread.php?t=38195&page=3#) one time. Thats the grossest thing I've ever heard! I'm never worried about people barfing on rollercoasters, because it would normally go on themselves, or just fly off the train. But on a flat ride vomit gets tossed around all over. Thats why I usually don't ride them.

siestakey
03-24-2006, 05:19 PM
^^^^what do you mean Estop. Where? on the launch? (ouch...)

Fantom
03-24-2006, 05:29 PM
Your much more likely to get hit by someones cell phone or other loose items than get hit by anything from the ride. My favorite is when someone throws a rock at a moving train.

That happened to me on Medusa at GAdv. I came off with this gash running down the side of my face and the kid next to me was gushing blood from his nose. Not fun.

Chris L
03-24-2006, 05:32 PM
People that throw rocks at riders on a moving coaster train should be charged with assault and battery, but what's so messed up is that nearly all of the time, they get away with it because there are no immediate witnesses, or no one narks them out. :mad:

siestakey
03-24-2006, 05:43 PM
Ouch...imagine that kind of thing on Ka? Oh man..not fun. That could happen so easily, too, like right before the C-roll on Medusa, in the valley between it and the 0G roll. People could throw rocks easily, someone could die from that, they should have cameras set up or something.

steel
03-24-2006, 06:09 PM
When I went to Parc Asterix, we were standing in line for Vol D'Icare and we heard the people behind us talking about Tonnere de Zeus being unsafe, mostly because you fly out of your seat so much. Hah.

siestakey
04-08-2006, 01:28 PM
If a coaster train was off the track, which wouldn't happen, I'm just wondering about his, would the restraints open or just stay closed?

Pcw
04-08-2006, 02:27 PM
The restraints would stay closed, unless something hits and breaks the restraint mechanism or manual release (ie. pedal on Arrow+Vekoma trains)

Worm
04-08-2006, 03:19 PM
Just imagine how Fabio must have felt...

Cuddy
04-08-2006, 09:49 PM
I'm still afraid of heights. Yet I can ride airplanes and coasters just fine. The height problem is this, I'm scared of the actual height itself, as if I was made to walk down Magnum's lift hill (with/out) the wind howling. But then again, the fall doesn't scare me as much as the *splat* landing.

-24-
04-08-2006, 10:01 PM
Being stuck on a coaster is a fear of mine. I don't care where it happens, I just don't want to sit there for hours. The first 15 min would be fine.

Jimmy B
04-08-2006, 10:39 PM
Naturally, the physical shaking and rattling of roller coasters does look unsettling, because you would think they are almost going to break/collapse. That was the fear I once had about roller coasters.

Brian P
04-08-2006, 11:27 PM
I don't really have much of any fear while riding a coaster....freefall towers, however, are a different story haha My biggest fear is that my seat is going to become unattached from the car. I know it won't happen (and being an engineering major I should know even moreso just how strong that connection is), but that thought still freaks me out haha

BGWfanatic
04-09-2006, 12:12 AM
Im always afraid Id get stuck on the top of a Free Fall tower. AH! That would scare the crap out of me. Speaking of that, how do they evacute those things!?

Dan G
04-09-2006, 01:14 AM
To be honest, I really don't have a fear of coasters...Sure, occasionally I think of what could happen if the train came off the track or the restraints came lose (especially on X-Flight), but I don't worry about that or get freaked out as I'm going up the lift hill of roller coasters. I have a much much bigger of airplanes, yet I get on one about 4 times a year which is unsettling in my opinion. It's on airplanes that I get really really scared when we are taking off, I don't get this feeling when I'm riding a coaster.

pipesdrums
04-09-2006, 01:45 AM
I once saw a girl piss herself while sitting in the front seat of Dragon Fire at Pcw, waiting for the train to be dispatched. Ever since then I've had a fear of someone pissing thereself during the ride. Same with barfing.

inLINEhkystAr
04-09-2006, 01:46 AM
Well, of course as Carowinds said, de-railing would be it but that death wouldn' be as bad as you may think, because it's just a short felling of falling then lights out hardly any pain at all it would be a instant death (Most likely depending on the height of your fall)

coasterlove
04-09-2006, 02:48 AM
The only one that really freaks me out is the restraint on the flying coaster like S:UF. I go on it often but everytime going up the lift, I can't help it but it goes through my mind at least a little bit. It's just something about knowing that your body is completely resting on those restraints.

Hank
04-09-2006, 06:17 AM
I fear riding SOB, getting stuck on the lift hill, my knees are in my chest doing Heimlick maneuvers, I am sweating up a storm in the sun, and then my leg gets a cramp. Prayer is the ONLY option!

siestakey
04-09-2006, 12:19 PM
The restraints would stay closed, unless something hits and breaks the restraint mechanism or manual release (ie. pedal on Arrow+Vekoma trains)
On Nitro at GAdv, there is a little thing on the back left side of each row, is that what you mean by pedal? Isn't Nitro a B&M?

Bowserjoe
04-09-2006, 03:41 PM
My worst fear would be falling asleep on the ride and then missing it! Lol. No seriously, I feel safe on coasters 100% because it's such a small chance anything would happen. I guess one of my concerns is losing stuff like my cell phone even though it's zipped up in my pocket.

Ryan F
04-09-2006, 03:50 PM
On Nitro at GAdv, there is a little thing on the back left side of each row, is that what you mean by pedal? Isn't Nitro a B&M?
Every car on a coaster train has it's own manual release for restraints. Usually coaster companies use the same thing throughout all their rides. Guests can usually see them, since most of the time they're not really hidden from view.

Some parks even use them instead of automatic locking devices. Example of this is Iron Dragon and Corkscrew at CP. Both these rides dont have automatic locks, so you have to wait for the attendant to come and manually lock and release your restraints. So, if they forget one, then your car is going out with open restraints.

And yes, Nitro is a B&M. I'm not sure what the manual release looks like on a B&M though.

Bowserjoe
04-09-2006, 06:14 PM
I don't really have much of any fear while riding a coaster....freefall towers, however, are a different story haha My biggest fear is that my seat is going to become unattached from the car. I know it won't happen (and being an engineering major I should know even moreso just how strong that connection is), but that thought still freaks me out haha

Never thought of it, but that is pretty freaky! Especially on an S&S turbo drop!

epijlh
04-09-2006, 09:29 PM
The only thing that I fear on a coaster is-well nothing. after all, aren't coaster supposed to "safely scare us?"

giraffe326
04-10-2006, 12:33 AM
I never really think about mechanical problems. I have convinced myself that they do not happen (or I would never get on a coaster)! So, my BIGGEST fear is the lift getting stuck and having to walk down the stairs (I am terrified of heights)! My next biggest fear is throwing up! It's embarrassing and makes you feel like crap the rest of the day!

siestakey
04-10-2006, 10:43 AM
On a freefall tower I'd be more afraid of crashing into the ground on the drop then my seat coming out. lol.

Erik Leppen
04-10-2006, 01:38 PM
Only thing I am afraid of is the risk of forgetting to take off my glasses... I mean it's not a feeling of afraidness you get on ride, it's the feeling of adrenaline, which is kinda a "positive afraidness" feeling.

Hank
04-10-2006, 04:01 PM
I forgot one thing...

Getting a face full of puke from someone in the front of the train. I like pitchers in baseball games and I like Oreos, but I don't like people tossing their cookies - especially at me!

Wes
04-10-2006, 04:43 PM
The only thing that concerns me is the older arrow coasters and wondering if the restraints are somehow going to come unlocked mid-corkscrew.

Most coasters now have seatbelts as backup safety restraints and I like that a lot more.

I still ride the arrow coasters, I just wish they'd add seatbelts to them.

SFKK GUY
04-10-2006, 04:45 PM
On Chang sitting on the left side from the chain left in any seat, I imagine slipping through the restraints and then falling down upon the golf karts and getting my carcass run over by a screaming little kid strapped in with his step dad who constantly abuses him...

but that's why I like sitting on that side. That's part of the thrill of coaster, the possibilty (physically slim, mentally guarenteed) of riding a coaster...or at least in my book. Otherwise the adrenaline would be pumped right out of it.

BimmerZ3
04-11-2006, 02:01 AM
I haven't been scared by a coaster in a long time. I guess the two scariest rides I've been on were TTD my first time and Deja Vu on the back row, outside seat. It's a bit unsettling knowing that there's nothing holding you in except the knowledge of the engineers at Vekoma.

Wes
04-11-2006, 07:40 AM
^ I agree (on the Deja Vu comment).

I was the same way... hmmm.. the only thing keeping me from death is a Vekoma restraint! :eek:

giggity424
04-11-2006, 10:57 AM
Mine is going to have to be, "boomerang" type rides like sidewinder @ HP as they pull you up the lift backwards in the begining you have all you'rre wheigt leaning on the front restraints. i can never help but wonder, what if.........

Coaster Nana
04-11-2006, 07:04 PM
I almost wish I hadn't read this thread. I didn't realize there were so many things y'all could think of that could go wrong. :eek:

I've never really thought about it, I just ride and enjoy!

giggity424
04-11-2006, 07:36 PM
I'm assuming most of it isn't actual fears but what is closest to what people fear.

medusa548
04-11-2006, 09:00 PM
I don't really have many fears (I concur with Coaster Nana) but I am scared of going on rides with too much force (when I was not 54" tall and went on a trip with my family to Texas for a reunion, I had first heard of Six Flags Over Texas, Fiesta Texas, and Astroworld. I was like "geeze there are a lot of Six Flags in Texas!". Anyways, we stayed with a cousin in Fort Worth (near arlington) and I saw Titan! I wasn't scared, but wanted to ride badly, and I never knew that SFOT existed even though I had been to Fort Worth before . . . So my brother and I thought we wouldn't be tall enough, but sure enough, it was only 48" to ride. I held my hands up but they kept on being crushed and then my spine was popping . . . weird. I wondered if I really liked hypercoasters afterwards. I hope to go on a "real" hypercoaster some day (not a hyper twister, like Titan and Goliath were)

coastercory06
04-11-2006, 09:08 PM
My biggest fear would be someone flipping a coin or something out as a boomerang goes back through the station.

Othre than that, the thing that isn't really scary, but would really bother me would be getting stuck on a ride. Not necessarily stuck, but being stapled in tightly and the restraints being unable to open. I have this thought everytime I get on a top spin, and think of how uncomfortable that would be.

mrcoaster
04-11-2006, 09:33 PM
I'm not fearful of any coaster, but I'm not real big on heights. I love the big drop on Millennium Force, for example, but I don't like looking straight down the left side of the lift hill at all. Though I don't really worry about it, derailment and flying off the tracks a la The Rocket in the movie "Rollercoaster" would be something I would fear.

Griswold
04-11-2006, 10:32 PM
Getting stuck on Face Off at PKI on the lift, leaning into the restraint would freak me out big time. Wondering what would happen if these failed? A breakdown actually did occur on one of those..I think it was Two Face at one of the SF parks. Made the news and everything. Pretty scary.

Know what else scares me? CARNIES. Little people, nomads, circus folk, small hands, smell like cabbage.

Emann
04-11-2006, 10:46 PM
My only fear on a coaster is really hitting my feet or hands on somthing. Like on Alpengeist when you pass through the house thing or on Apollo's Chariot when you, also, go through a house thing. I used to be scared about the restraints failing but now I know there really is a slim chance of that happening.

coasterfreak14
04-11-2006, 10:54 PM
My biggest and only fear when riding a ride is that I won't like it. :)

JamMasterJ
04-11-2006, 11:08 PM
i should also mention I have a fear of Dropzone, at PKD, where somehow the breaks wouldn't work, and you just fall about 300 feet and just hit the ground with that force.

At least your death would be quick....
I really don't have any fears with coasters. I trust the restraints to work, if it gets stuck on the lift, I love heights, and if it gets stuck in an inversion, I would find it interestingly fun.

addict2sobe728
02-01-2007, 10:05 PM
I had a horrible dream that I was on a coaster with so many negative G's that it pulled me right out my seat. So airtime is my favorite but it's also what I'm most scared of!

Woodie4-07
02-01-2007, 10:33 PM
Haha, when I was riding a roller coaster at the state fair, and I was sitting there looking at the track, and making sure everything was in place.

go_me
02-01-2007, 10:35 PM
Nothing really scare me on coaster. There are a few things that I occasionally think about but not always. One would be getting hit by a bird during the launch on KK or any other rocket in the front row. I can't imagine the pain, and possible death. Another would be the restraints failing. I know this is so very unlikely of happening but I occasionally think about that. Nothing that really scares me though.
You better be scared of getting hit with a bird! That actually happened to somebody on Mantis and it broke their nose. It almost happened to me on Gemini...on the same day I heard about the lady with the broken nose. I'm still scared of the TTD launch. I know I've been on it 10 times or something, but I'm still startled when that thing shoots you off!

coasterdude28
02-01-2007, 10:47 PM
People have hit birds on coasters a few times. Fabio, or whatever his name is, is one example. I think those are survivable hits though. On KK or TTD though, it wouldn't be pretty.

Another thing that I occasionally think about is a brake failure. I know that that is near impossible on most coasters, but it it every happened, it would be bad. Imagine KK's brakes failing and you go around the turn at 100mph. Ouch. Again, I know it is not possible on KK, so don't beat me up.

Coaster_holic24
02-01-2007, 10:50 PM
I dont really have a big fear on roller coasters, but this past season when Volcano @ PKD crashed, every time I rode it thereafter, I feared of it crashing again or the train not making it over thru the actual volcano.

Michael C
02-01-2007, 10:51 PM
Any rider getting sick in front of me and me getting hit. I can deal with everything else. even getting stuck.

jimhamblin
02-02-2007, 08:50 AM
My biggest rollercoaster fear is that the ride will come to an end and I'll have to get off. Its a pitty that that one always comes true.

epijlh
02-02-2007, 09:15 AM
^yeah. I don't really have a lot of fears on rollercoasters, execpt for flying out on the Jackrabbit at KW. You get insane airtime with nothing but a stationary hadbar and a flimsy belt holding you in.

coasterman1234
02-02-2007, 09:34 AM
My biggest rollercoaster fear is that the ride will come to an end and I'll have to get off. Its a pitty that that one always comes true.

That's my biggest fear! lol.

Anyway, I used to have a ton of fear on roller coasters, of everything, but that's all but diminished now after I've learned more about them (over the past years) and found out that they are incredibly safe. The last fear I have, well it's not really a fear, but a worry, is my hands (which are always up in the air) getting hit by something. Given, its only happened once, Dominator, at Geauga Lake (a tree after the cobra roll on the left side).

stevetothekizzo
02-02-2007, 10:55 AM
My worst fear is getting sick and puking all over myself and others before I can get off the coaster.

imakecoasters
02-02-2007, 11:12 AM
My worst fear is the lap bars. For sure. Like what happened to the superman: ROS's. I'm always afraid i'll fall out. But I'd love to die that way! Just kidding (although it would be the best accidental way).

-IMC-

Worm
02-02-2007, 11:33 AM
my worst fear is also the restraints in general. i don't think there is any explanation needed

SFGAFan4
02-02-2007, 12:00 PM
My only fear is launches. Cuz on Kingda Ka I'm never able to breath on the launch so I'm gasping for air.

Worm
02-02-2007, 12:36 PM
^try and hold your breath when the counter begins. or lights, watever

Pcw
02-02-2007, 02:57 PM
Once, @ Disneyworld, I had some idiots throwing cookies over their shoulder. A couple hit me in the face. So I fear stupidity.
That happened to me once on Dragon Fire @ PCW. A couple of guys start throwing biscuits and water into the air as we went through the inversions. Made for a very uncomfortable ride.

I'm just scared of people puking all over me. I still have nightmares about the guy that puked on Jet Scream (Intamin looping starship) while I was on it. lol

rckrazy06
02-02-2007, 03:13 PM
Biggest Fear-

ByeBye Cell Phone

Wes
02-02-2007, 03:15 PM
Biggest fear is the coasters without seatbelts, that the restraint will unlock.

I know that the likelihood of this very remote because of the way they are built, but anything man-made has it's limits, especially in some of the ratty little parks I've visited that look like they inspect their rides once a decade.

Timbersman
02-02-2007, 03:35 PM
The only ride im scared on is Top Thrill Dragster, only becuase thats a lot of pressure on your chest during the launch.

rckrazy06
02-02-2007, 03:43 PM
I don't think there is anything to worry about there, that is probably one of the big things they worked on a lot while designing it.

apsterling
02-02-2007, 04:18 PM
When a train pulls back for a catapult, that it won't fire.

Wes
02-02-2007, 04:21 PM
^ Uh...what?

SFGAFan4
02-02-2007, 04:29 PM
He means when a train pulls back to launch it will just stop.

Jerry S
02-02-2007, 04:49 PM
My worst fear is if anything will fall out of my pockets. I check them after every inversion and overbank.

SFGAFan4
02-02-2007, 04:52 PM
I'm assuming that means you don't put your hands up much which makes the ride much better, for me atleast.

jimhamblin
02-02-2007, 05:50 PM
I'm assuming that means you don't put your hands up much which makes the ride much better, for me atleast.

You know, I've never realy understood the appeal to the "hands up" thing. I do it from time to time, but I find rides to be just as exciting if I dont.

Zingoman
02-02-2007, 05:53 PM
My fear on a coaster is only when I start thinking about what little pieces of metal could give way to cause bad news, such as an axle breaking, or the train seperating (although on an untrailored train that could be amusing as long as there are no injuries). When I start thinking about how much force is really being placed on some of these coasters, it can become overwhelming to think that they can hadle it thousands of times a year, and then spend a winter covered in ice just to warm up and do it again the next summer. As long as I keep my mind of things like that, I am fearless. And what is up with these wood coasters? How the heck do some of those boards not split apart, and send the train flying free? Some of the laterals on the woodies today are disturbingly awesome. MAN I feel like riding the Boss, or Legend right now!

Jerry S
02-03-2007, 12:44 PM
I put my hands up on rides, if for example, I have nothing in my pocket because someone on the ground is holding it all.

^Have you ever thought about the stress your car engine is under all year through different weather? Probably not, because you get tune ups, oil changes, pressure checks, etc. Well, the parks take even more care of their roller coasters. And think about airplanes? Shooting a pressurized metal tube through the sky? Come on, roller coasters are nothing compared to other mechanisms.

rckrazy06
02-03-2007, 12:49 PM
One thing that would suck is if a bake system or block brake system failed and two trains wrecked inoto eack other. Also it would suck to Valley on a coaster in between two hills and be stuck there.

Jimmy B
02-03-2007, 01:15 PM
When I was a kid (and before I studied physics) I was always worried that when I see a track shaking/wobbling, that it was on the verge of breaking/collapsing -- it's a natural concern among many.

I had a truly false sense of fear of falling off the train while upside-down in a loop or inversion -- another natural fear. Of course I later realized that would be theoretically and virtually impossible.

rckrazy06
02-03-2007, 01:24 PM
^Haha, WT is a perfect Example.

I love DW
02-03-2007, 02:32 PM
My worst fear while on a roller coaster I guess would be when it swoops very low to the ground and makes you think that you are going to hit the ground. Although it is a good kind of fear.

What is freaky though is when you ride a ride like Tennessee Tornado and it has recently rained when you come close to the ground and see it that East Tennessee red clay looks a lot like blood all over the ground which is odd looking when your traveling 70 m.p.h over it.

Another fearful experience on a coaster is on Mr. Freeze when you go upside down backwards it feels like you are going to stop and fall out it is going so slow.

But both times it really in the end makes the ride better because it sends a little fear through your body that gives you an extra thrill.

coastrfreak2000
02-03-2007, 03:27 PM
My worst fear is sitting next to your mom and getting crushed to death.

screaminkid2005
02-03-2007, 04:06 PM
^ OMG!!! My mom did that 2 me on Rolling Thunder at SFGAdv when i was like 8 lmao.

apsterling
02-03-2007, 05:06 PM
Heh, I tried to have my hands up on Goliath, that was painful....

Oh, another one, that a brake will somehow malfunction.

vedved82491
02-03-2007, 06:51 PM
Hey my first ever ride on Goliath was, I believe, with the trims off, because it was running one train...so in that case...I remember towards the helixes...everything going black...lol, just for like a second...haha its crazy, but its not killer.

I don't have fears really, I'm too busy enjoying my ride.

EDIT: although i have been clinged onto by my mom a few years ago at Sea World San Diego when we were on Atlantis...AND I had a sunburn!!! owwww

siestakey
02-04-2007, 03:49 PM
I don't know what I feared before I started liking coasters. I guess falling out or something, but I can't even think of what I was scared of.

apsterling
02-04-2007, 04:42 PM
^^ Same. It hurt my friend's "Private" spot. He came off wincing. Then we rode Tatsu.

Another fear, that a ride like Tatsu will stop on the lift, and there is no catwalk. And then, trying to get out into a cherrypicker, I'll fall to my death.

CoasterGuy210
02-04-2007, 04:55 PM
People throwing up on me.

coasterdude28
02-05-2007, 04:02 PM
^^ on Flyers, they have a movable platform at the bottom of the lift for evacuations. They don't use a cherry picker. http://rcdb.com/ig3305.htm?picture=65 You can see they silver thing under the lift.

DisGardeVersal
02-05-2007, 05:11 PM
I now have a paranoia about my wallet and keys in my pocket. During my last few rides I've held my hands not on the restraint but on my pockets.

I feel the exact same way, I have this horrible fear that my wallet or cell phone is going to fall out of my pant pockets, one time on AC I actually thought I had lost my wallet, and spent a few horrid moments until I found it, inside my pocket, wedged behind the harness. Now I bring a jacket with zip-up pockets to a park, regardless of the weather. It could be 100 degrees out, and I'll still be there with a jacket with all my stuff in it tied around my waist.

apsterling
02-05-2007, 05:12 PM
^ I wear pants with zipper pockets
Or spend the 3 dollars and rent a locker.

mikey53
02-05-2007, 05:23 PM
I generally feel pretty safe since I'm a medium build guy, but when I rode Tatsu for the 3rd time, we stop on the lift hill at the very top and all I could think of was the harness releasing........... :eek: OMG that was a horrible feeling. During the summer I went to Atlanta and I got to ride Goliath there and that was a scary feeling as well - the feeling of being ejected out of the seat was at the top of my mind during my first ride due to me expecting it to be another Typical - Tame B&M ride, but I was quite shocked. I must say those seats are the most comfortable and secure things I've been in but the ejector is so strong that it still feels like you can fly out at any moment.

DisGardeVersal
02-05-2007, 05:26 PM

For some reason I thought of the exact same thing one day, and I now have an escape plan to save me and all the people on the ride, so long as they know how to swim.

coasterdude28
02-05-2007, 06:39 PM
To prevent me from losing anything, I always wear pants with ziper pocket or a jacket with zipper pockets to the park. One day, I was holding my friends car keys in my jacket pocket. They were are only way to get home. I though the pocket was securely zipped as I got onto Nitro. I double ckecked, and I'm pretty sure it was zipped. Anyway, on the hill after the heammerhead I saw something flying in front of me. It was about arm lengths away and a bit higher than eye level. I happened to be able to grab it. It was the keys. That was the closest I have come to losing something on a ride. I now triple ckeck my pockets.

dkc_2112
02-05-2007, 06:45 PM
its falling off of BORG at Carowinds. They feel like they're just gonna give way and your gonna fall.

siestakey
02-05-2007, 08:18 PM
I guess my biggest fear overall is the restraint opening.

razor12
02-07-2007, 11:08 PM
I fear a couple things. But I love roller coasters and don't think about fears when I ride them or before just after.

1) On inverted impulse coasters the train would be launched too fast and the train exceeds the first spike as the train is launched into the air and I plummit to my death.

2) Only thought on one wooden ride...on SON OF BEAST it derailing on any sort of track and me wrecking to my death.

3) On launch coasters (Top thrill dragster); the launch cable instantly stopping as it is dragging the train so the train instanty stopping causing me to thrust forward, but all motion has stopped except my body and I break my neck and die.

4) Train dividing in two because the joint bar breaks and I thrust backwards causing the wheels to become loose so I plummit to my death.

I never think about these things before or during a roller coaster just after. Thinking as a "what if" this happened.

FSUNolez06
02-08-2007, 02:35 AM
its falling off of BORG at Carowinds. They feel like they're just gonna give way and your gonna fall.so true...

BrandonK
02-08-2007, 03:02 PM
My biggest fear comes from my favorite steel coaster, Wicked Twister. Just the thought of the launch being too powerful and over shooting the spike makes me not want to ride. But you have to remember these things are built plenty safe.

rckrazy06
02-08-2007, 04:35 PM
^Won't happen, plus, they have little stopper thingies at the top of it, I think.

Top Thrill Mav
02-08-2007, 07:27 PM
mine is the ride ending.

SFGAFan4
02-08-2007, 07:35 PM
*Makes sure I don't look at these the day I go to a park*

siestakey
02-08-2007, 08:21 PM
Ha, that's true, I guess that wouldn't be the smartest thing to do.

jimhamblin
02-08-2007, 08:56 PM
^Won't happen, plus, they have little stopper thingies at the top of it, I think.

You are correct. If you look at the top of the spires the last thing you will see is a mechanical stoping device. It has one or two shock absorber cylinders on it.

razor12
02-08-2007, 11:04 PM
I guess to have a fear of that is the Launched Inverted Impluse coaster (Wicked Twister) gets struck by lightning during your ride as you were launched too fast so the shock absorbers don't function so you fly off the first spike and plummit to your death...But that is a very unfortunate thing to happen, something that would happen in "Final Destination" though...

Sir Willow
02-09-2007, 07:17 AM
Hehe, pretty entertaining reading some of the worries though, especially from people that should know better when it comes to how coasters work and the safety devices built into them. Guess that some of the irrational emotions that some of us get never goes away.

Johnny Upsidedown
02-09-2007, 02:02 PM
You said it Sir.
It would amaze people to know that I am afraid of heights or at least nervous at heights.
Worst fear is the bolts coming undone and you go flying off the train.

Before I understod coasters I would look at the steel beems as they would sway and would think to myshelf they were about to break.

Marcus
02-09-2007, 03:04 PM
I fear a couple things. But I love roller coasters and don't think about fears when I ride them or before just after.

1) On inverted impulse coasters the train would be launched too fast and the train exceeds the first spike as the train is launched into the air and I plummit to my death.

I was working V2 when this happened. It's rare, but yes it does happen and no the train doesn't shoot off the end. There is an extremely high pressure bumber on the end of the spike which just absorbs the shock. I hear you just feel a slight jerk forward in your seat when it happens.

As for myself, there really isn't much left that scares me when I ride roller coasters. I was pretty scared when I rode TTD for the first time and chose the front row. Now, only the chance of the cable snapping puts fear in me when I ride TTD. Doing liftwalks on Batman was really sick, but the adrenaline rush was beyond anything. My lead would say, "We don't secure you guys so don't pass out or you'll wake up dead." How the hell do you try not to pass out anyways?

rckrazy06
02-09-2007, 04:15 PM
Everyone has to admit that in the back of your head you always have that slight thought that something could go seriosly wrong even if its
like a one in a million chance.

KW fan
02-09-2007, 05:39 PM
my fear is when I ride the Phantoms Revenge at Kennywood and when I sit on the right side in the first row it seems like you are gonna slide out of your seat just going over the first drop...freaky

rckrazy06
02-09-2007, 06:10 PM
Hmmm, I gotta try that this Summer.

Brian F
02-09-2007, 06:36 PM
This thread is great- it's worth going back and reading through it for a laugh now and again.

This one is the best, though:

Know what else scares me? CARNIES. Little people, nomads, circus folk, small hands, smell like cabbage.

Kingda Toro
03-12-2007, 02:53 PM
3) On launch coasters (Top thrill dragster); the launch cable instantly stopping as it is dragging the train so the train instanty stopping causing me to thrust forward, but all motion has stopped except my body and I break my neck and die.

Even if the cable did instantly stop, the train would just come off the launch car and keep going. In fact something very close to this (not an instant stop but a rapid deceleration) happens on every launch as the launch car enters its brakes.

Vallean
03-13-2007, 03:31 AM
No fear. Only a very remote thought about a possible collision with a bird (remember the Fabio incident) as it's beyond the control of ride designers and operators. Maybe also falling objects (forgotten tools or so) but although it happened a very few times in the past the probability of occurrence is lower than becoming a lotto millionnaire or being struck by a lightning bolt.

I love DW
03-13-2007, 05:50 PM
Only a very remote thought about a possible collision with a bird (remember the Fabio incident) as it's beyond the control of ride designers and operators.

The closest thing that I have ever come to that is while riding a coaster when it hit the brake run a bug flew right into my high and stuck to my contact. Not the funniest experience trying to get a bug out of your eye while the coaster is getting close to the station a bird however would have actually hurt especially if it was at full speed.

vedved82491
03-13-2007, 06:08 PM
I've never had a fear of any coaster. There were only two times I ever felt "anxious" slightly. The first time was right before riding X. I have no fear of rides at all, but just knowing that this coaster was a unique never before done experience, it produced a tiny bit of anxiousness in my stomach, and it was great! The second time, and sort of the third fourth and fifth time, was on Xcelerator. The launch at the beginning provided the biggest adrenaline rush I had ever felt. I went on it 3 more times in my visit.

SkierGirl77
03-14-2007, 10:36 PM
The worst thing I can think of would be being on a roller coaster like Top Thrill Dragster and it getting stuck at the very top. I'm not afraid of heights or anything but I wouldn't like to be stuck up there that far of the ground for a long time.

Vallean
03-15-2007, 04:32 PM
Post #22 of this thread: http://www.thrillnetwork.com/boards/showthread.php?t=39127&page=2
I'm surprised that they didn't install a retractable kicker drive (friction wheel drive) at the top.

coasterman1234
03-15-2007, 10:11 PM
^That's a good point, I never thought about that. They should install one, just in case.

Dalee4lifefan
03-15-2007, 10:14 PM
I would say the worst for me is being stuck upside down on a loop. Cause your head and body is upside down and making the blood go to your head and brain and makes you blackout if your like that for a longtime.

SkierGirl77
03-15-2007, 10:35 PM
^ That would be pretty bad. I agree with you! Just think what you would feel like when they finally got you off too. The effects for being stuck a long amount of time COULD be pretty serious. Hope that never happens to me!

go_me
03-15-2007, 10:42 PM
I've never had a fear of any coaster. There were only two times I ever felt "anxious" slightly. The first time was right before riding X. I have no fear of rides at all, but just knowing that this coaster was a unique never before done experience, it produced a tiny bit of anxiousness in my stomach, and it was great! The second time, and sort of the third fourth and fifth time, was on Xcelerator. The launch at the beginning provided the biggest adrenaline rush I had ever felt. I went on it 3 more times in my visit.
If you want a bigger adrenaline rush, try skiing and then jumping 10-15 feet in the air! I tried that this winter, and It was better than TTD's launch! I know...high off life. It's addicting you know.

My biggest fear has to be having a seagull hit my face while on a ride like TTD or MF. Apparently it happened to someone on Mantis, so It's not as ridiculous as it sounds.

Marc
03-16-2007, 01:35 AM
I've seen it happen on MF. Not Pretty might I add...

CoasterRockStar
03-26-2007, 03:46 PM
My biggest fear: getting stuck in a the dark misty tunnel on Top Gun. I shiver and my heart skips a beat just thinking about it.

SkierGirl77
03-26-2007, 06:12 PM
^ That wouldn't be too bad but that tunnel's mist was pretty cold on Saturday. Wouldn't like to be in there long if it was a cool day. Brrr. We broke down on Top Gun: The Jet Coaster on the lift hill at almost the very top last weekend though. We were counting parking spaces lol!

CoasterRockStar
03-26-2007, 07:42 PM
All I know is while I was in there I would be saying this over and over:

"It's cold,I'm wet, it's dark, I can't breathe. It's cold, I'm wet, it's dark, I can't breathe."

and at some point it might turn into screaming.

SFOG_4_Lyfe
03-27-2007, 10:04 PM
i must say my worse fear is riding superman ultimate flight and the restraints just giving out in the middle of the ride. Although i know that this is impossible due to all the security features of this ride. Basically failproof. GO B&M!!!

cannonballer
03-28-2007, 05:58 AM
Theres an old saying my grandfather used to say. "Failsafe is a myth"

SFOG_4_Lyfe
03-28-2007, 07:58 PM
^LMAO! ROFL. Well I dont kno if u have ever ridden Superman Ultimate flight The operators panel has a touch screen which allows the operator to see the status of each seat as its being noticed. The computer security system is set so that the trains can not be dispatched from the station unless each seat is locked and secure. Thats why (if you've ridden the ride before) They call out numbers like "2-3, 4-2, 6-1, 7-1" on the mic. They are letting the attendants know which seats are not locked. For Example...2-3 means row 2 seat 3. Its actually a cool safety feature. It lets me know that I aint gon fall out and fall into the rocks below. And its kinda funny when the guests be in line and one of them hollers "BINGO"

Vallean
03-29-2007, 10:37 AM
Theres an old saying my grandfather used to say. "Failsafe is a myth"
Failsafe is not a myth, it's a design feature but nothing is 100% reliable. Fortunately the probability of restraint failure is extremely low. If we consider all ride accidents only extremely few have ever been caused by restraint failures. Which over-the-shoulder restraints did REPORTEDLY (according to official accident investigation reports) fail? I don't mention lap bars as in many cases as long as the bar doesn't get detached a patron will not get ejected from the ride if holding the bar. Birds are among the very few risks which can't be mitigated but experience shows that collisions are rare and most of them are without noticeable consequences (excepted maybe for the bird).

kickyoface
03-29-2007, 11:55 AM
My biggest fear is getting hit by an untrimmed tree or bird or something like that. I went on Revolution once and Im really tall, so the one tree branch that everyone barely went under hit me in the face. Luckily it happend at the beginning of the drop when it wasnt moving fast and just beginning to accelerate. My fear is that happening on a fast moving ride which would really fjork me up.

miamidolphins
03-29-2007, 08:26 PM
i have some fears with wooden coasters. i know its odd, but im afraid of heights unless im strapped into a coaster car, then i love them. but on the beast and SOB, its kinda scary. SOB was soooooo bumpy going around the first two helixes and i was always afraid something bad would happen (luckely i wasnt on it when something bad DID happen). On the beast though, my fear is like the back of the car de-railing on the curve right before the second chain. me and my friend rode in the back one time, and it was the worst, i had a headache for a really long time. and on that curve, i could swear my heart skipped a beat or two, so i now call it heart attack curve. i wouldnt be surprised if someone had a heart attack going around that turn, that was scary.

SFOG_4_Lyfe
03-29-2007, 11:49 PM
My biggest fear is getting hit by an untrimmed tree or bird or something like that.

I remember when they closed the Mind Bender @ SFOG because of a hanging tree branch when a guest claimed it hit him in the face. It wasnt going fast either because the only trees around the coaster that are low enough to hit a guest are right after u clear the lift and you're going around the C-curve before the drop.

slipknot8527
03-30-2007, 02:39 AM
Well, on the mindbender, I can easily grab leaves off of the trees on the last swooping turn before the brakes. Maybe thats where he got hit.

SFOG_4_Lyfe
03-30-2007, 02:01 PM
^perhaps....I just hope your train didnt get stuck in the reduction brake.