PDA

View Full Version : Holiday World 2006: The Voyage

Pages : [1] 2

RavenTTD
06-22-2005, 04:12 PM
Many of you know that Holiday World is building a new theme land next year themed to a new holiday. Here are some construction pics to get this thread started:

http://www.negative-g.com/HolidayWorld/HW2006/Construction/6-18-2005/2005-Construction-6-18-2005-1.htm (http://www.negative-g.com/HolidayWorld/HW2006/Construction/6-18-2005/2005-Construction-6-18-2005-1.htm)

And here is a link to the holiblog to get new information as it becomes available:

http://www.holidayworld.com/holiblog/holiblog.html

Bruns
06-22-2005, 06:53 PM
Rob Coker over at www.thrillride.com (http://www.thrillride.com/) has been speculating for a bit on what the next section might be. His best guess is Thanksgiving and he gives a few convincing reasons why. I think Thanksgiving would be sort of dull, but there really aren't many secular holidays left. Easter? No. Too religious. (Obviously Christmas is a religious holiday, but you gotta give em a break, its SANTA CLAUS, IN). What else? Valentines Day? Ew. I don't want to ride Cupids Magical Arrow: The Ride. Too mushy for my (and most) taste(s). Rob Coker thought Mardi Gras would be a good one, but it seems more like a regional holiday than a national or worldwide holiday. Memorial Day? Maybe. Possibly some war themed rides. This just hit me. Though not a conventional holiday, what about Spring Break? Nah, Holiday World is a family park. Parents wouldn't want there kids to ride The Drunk Sorority Sister. Too many sexual conotations in that one (You must be this handsome to ride The Drunk Sorority Sister). I'll stop. So really, I guess that pretty much leaves Thanksgiving. What sort of adult rides could they have, though? The Wild Turkey? Stupid, but possible. The Indian? Probably not. Not good PR, especially with the Native American population getting upset with sports teams named after them.

My choice? Lincoln's Birthday. Rockin'.

On a side note, Holiday World needs to stay all wooden. Ha ha, I know I'll probably ruffle a few feathers, what with the heated debate we had in the rumors section. Besides, they got The Howler.

coasterfreakk
06-22-2005, 07:38 PM
What about presidents day or st. patricks day .You may be on to something with lincoln's b-day cause there is a national park for him just down the road from HW.

Mitchman49
06-22-2005, 08:12 PM
I don't know. I thought Mardi Gras was a really good one, but most of the other ones were good to. (except Valentines Day lol)

Bruns
06-22-2005, 08:51 PM
St. Patricks Day. Yeah, hadn't thought of that one. It has some potential. President's day I think would be pretty boring. The other holidays have legends, folklore, or grand celebrations surrounding it. What's President's Day got? Cold hard facts. No fun in that. Who wants to ride a textbook? And, of course, I was kidding about Link's B-Day but even with a national park named after him nearby (there is?), the boredom level would be too high. Another strike against Mardi Gras I've heard is that it is too "adult orientated" which I find stupid because its really not. Yeah, it has become drunken fest with puke and exposed breasts in our modern day, but their is MORE to Mardi Gras than that. They could do some of the historical aspects of Mardi Gras and shy away from what it has become. And wasn't Jazzland themed after Lousiana traditions, involving Mardi Gras? They didn't get any flak, did they? Anyway, Christmas has become a symbol of gross consumerism yet they still have a Christmas section because there is more to Christmas than what it has become. A thought occured to me. It can also go the other way. Halloween, which started out as a pagan ritual involving demons and malevolent spirits and all kinds of scary stuff has evolved into a kid friendly holiday the whole family can enjoy. Hmm. But I still think Mardi Gras wouldn't be a good choice because its more regional than national.

Nascarlvr987
06-22-2005, 10:14 PM
Hey check this out just posted in the Holiblog:

You've got a one in ten (OK, a one in eight, who would want Mother's Day or "Arbour Day" lol) chance of picking the right holiday. Good luck.

Wes
06-22-2005, 10:18 PM
^^ Thanks for the update. My money is on St Patricks Day or Valentines.

They could do an old fashioned tunnel of love in a Valentines Day section.

Nascarlvr987
06-22-2005, 10:32 PM
Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking, that would kind of fit them.

Matt M
06-22-2005, 11:04 PM
They're getting an intamin woodie launched with LIMS. Talked to manager for 5 minutes yesterday.

carrouseler
06-22-2005, 11:13 PM
I like New Year's a lot. Never really thought of that one.

coasetrphil
06-22-2005, 11:54 PM
I would think that New Year's is most likely. Everybody celebrates it, the only problem is there really isn't that much you can do with it.

Ta2KX
06-23-2005, 12:02 AM
I like the idea of New Years, but I don't recall if HW has the liquor license to accompany that theme. Memorial Day certainly seems fitting, it is the time of year that parks open and with how badly Bush is screwing up, we need to continually honor our troops. I must say, I like the sound of Drunk Sorority Girl the Ride. It better be a dueler, too. We'll call the left side That Girl at Phi Del, and the right will aptly be dubbed That One at Rick's House Wasted on Smirnoff. True story.

Nascarlvr987
06-23-2005, 12:49 AM
Well, since the quick facts part of the website says this:

Behavior:
Holiday World & Splashin' Safari are family parks. Foul language and unruly behavior will not be tolerated. No alcohol, weapons, knives or firearms allowed on premises. No running, spitting, or throwing of objects permitted. Each Guest must also comply with the Rider Responsibility code as mandated by the State of Indiana.

I'm guessing they don't have that liquor license.

89magnumxl200
06-23-2005, 01:23 AM
with New years they could have a drop ride, but that's about it.

Dan G
06-23-2005, 02:11 AM
Why not Birthday Land? "Birthday Land - Where everyday is your Birthday!" I can just see it now. :D

Goudurix13
06-23-2005, 07:48 AM
ok, i just kinda thought about this and its kinda outa the blew but New Years would fit kinda well, if you read the blog before that about the article is which it says "...are being dispersed in magnetizing spoonfuls." you can maybe take that as a hint of a magnetic launched coaster, and ya there is a lot of these, but holiday world would make it the best, and if you think about it New Years would work perfectly because when waiting to launch for a ride, you have a "countdown" i mean it kinda fits together. In my opinion, it seems like the answer would be one of the last four, St. Pattys would work cuz the land could be themed to ireland and the land is kinda in the forest area with a lot of green, also it fits cuz if you look at all the other holidays theyre spread out and there are currently no lands coving the spring time area, i mean there is winter with christmas, fall with halloween and summer with july 4th but yet no spring, so st pattys (easter too, but its too religious) would fit perfectly. Thanksgiving would work too cuz it could give sorta a Native American feel to the new area, and lastly Valetine's day would work, cuz seriously a tunnel of love attraction would fit completely with the park, so ya thats my thoughts hehe, cant wait til july 13th!

Bruns
06-23-2005, 03:33 PM
New Years! Another good one I hadn't thought of. Whoever said that a drop ride would fit is pretty clever. But then again, they already have the Liberty Launch. But, thats a blaster not a dropper, so maybe. A launched ride? Well, the first time they mentioned the expansion, the title of the blog was "WOODn't you like to know?". So it would seem something wooden is coming. Unless they do something way out of character and give us a third world-class woodie and a stellar launched ride. The launched ride had better be in good taste, though. As in, not an eye-sore. My bet is on New Years. In my opinion, I think they should also jazz up the sections they already have. Halloweens got enough attention, what about the others? I think 4th of July has a lot more potential. The Revolution? The Firecracker (Which they actually had at one point. but maybe they could make a better ride and call it The Firecracker Backfire)? The Cannon? I don't know. Theres not a whole lot of things you can do for Christmas, I guess. Nothing thrilling, at least.

coasterfreakk
06-23-2005, 05:02 PM
What about D-day and I also like the memorial day they could do some cool stuff with that..Also one I have not seen is Columbus Day they could do one of those swinging boats .

Wes
06-23-2005, 08:04 PM
Guys you keep talking about a drop tower and a New Years section.

One small problem with that. Holiday World already has a S&S launch drop tower (and a fun little one at that).

I can't see them building a gyro drop across the park.

RavenTTD
06-23-2005, 08:08 PM
Please keep in mind that this is the construction thread and not a rumors thread. I will have to check my info again, but I believe the only possible holidays are Thanksgiving, Easter, and Valentines Day. I think it will be Thanksgiving.

Nascarlvr987
06-23-2005, 11:16 PM
ok, i just kinda thought about this and its kinda outa the blew but New Years would fit kinda well, if you read the blog before that about the article is which it says "...are being dispersed in magnetizing spoonfuls." you can maybe take that as a hint of a magnetic launched coaster,

The Holiblog didn't actually say that they were releasing info in magnetizing spoonfulls, some business website who was commenting on and saying how great their blog was for publicity compared to other companies made that statement.

Bruns
06-24-2005, 12:31 AM
Guys you keep talking about a drop tower and a New Years section.

One small problem with that. Holiday World already has a S&S launch drop tower (and a fun little one at that).

I can't see them building a gyro drop across the park.

Yes, but like i said, that is a launch ride, not a drop ride. completely different. besides, the New Year's ball DROPS so it would be appropriate. I think it is entirely possible.

Goudurix13
06-24-2005, 04:01 AM
ya i know the article said that and holiday world didnt, but you never know they might have insider information, now that i think about it more, im thinking easter or st pattys just cuz like i said before the park doesnt have a spring themed land and both of those sections could provide some good rides, and who ever said about how christmas cant provide good rides, i think a ride themed to santa's runaway sleigh would prove differently ;)

Bruns
06-24-2005, 11:06 AM
^ Santa's Runaway Sleigh. Fun for adults, emotionally scarring for young children. "Mommy mommy! Is Santa drunk?" Christmas is just too tame. Without being ridiculous with rides like Rudolph's Rampage or Frosty's Circle Of Hell, that is.

Goudurix13
06-24-2005, 06:55 PM
hahaha, it doenst have to be completely wild, i mean a bobsled coaster to represtent a sleigh ride would work perfectly, although a drunken santa ride or all of his christmas friends rides themed to the devil would be quite hilarious "HAIL SATAN" :-P <---(dont get mad that i said that, its a quote from a very hilarious show ;) )

Griswold
06-24-2005, 09:41 PM
St. Patricks is technically still in winter. Spring doesn't come until 3 or 4 days later.

RaptorXLC
06-24-2005, 11:27 PM
^The theme will be the drunken car ride back from your favorite pub.

Dan G
06-24-2005, 11:53 PM
How bout this, stick with the New Years theme and then add a flying coaster called Hangover. It would fit perfectly! lol

Goudurix13
06-25-2005, 03:03 AM
hahaha, hangover is sadly a really good name for a ride, actually that wouldnt be bad, cuz adults will find it funny and kids will just think it has to deal with a flying coaster :-P and i didnt know that st pattys was in winter, o well, that leaves easter i guess haha, how bout a hydrolic launched coaster called "resurection" where you ride on jesus's back as he ascends or "launched" into heaven :-P

89magnumxl200
06-25-2005, 11:20 AM
^ rofl. That would be funny. The ironic thing is though, after you ride up towards heavan, you turn and go straight down towards hell. Is that a sign?

RaptorXLC
06-25-2005, 11:23 AM
It's been done http://rcdb.com/qs.htm?quicksearch=hangover

Goudurix13
06-25-2005, 05:55 PM
haha true, but two things though, one: the coaster is no longer called hangover and two: i doubt it has the same conitation as a new years themed ride called hangover and about launching into the heavens on "resurection", well what happens is once you get to the top of the tower, st peter reads everyones sins who is on the ride and you immediately get shot back down into heal, which oddly enough is holiday world :-P

hulkrider04
06-28-2005, 06:38 PM
From screamscape-
http://www.screamscape.com/assets/images/icon_STOP169.gif2006 - Major Expansion / New Themed Area - (6/28/05) Holiday World has announced that they will announce the 2006 expansion on July 13th at 11am.[/font]

Nascarlvr987
06-28-2005, 08:35 PM
^Yeah, and it's on Screamscape because it came straight from the Holiday World website on the Holiblog.

coasterdude28
06-29-2005, 07:51 PM
I can't wait for the announcement. I have never been to Holiday World but want to go badly. Hopefully this will just be more incentive.

imhotep
06-30-2005, 01:20 PM
haha true, but two things though, one: the coaster is no longer called hangover and two: i doubt it has the same conitation as a new years themed ride called hangover and about launching into the heavens on "resurection", well what happens is once you get to the top of the tower, st peter reads everyones sins who is on the ride and you immediately get shot back down into heal, which oddly enough is holiday world :-P

Haha thats funny, Ive thought of a ride with a similar theme, except its a B&M Dive machine (1st gen). You think you are going to go into the gates, but right before them you go screaming down into hell... then you rise out and back into the station because youve been given 'one more shot at correcting your sins'. I thought the perfect place to put it would be Holy Land in florida. I would definately set foot in that park if they got a dive machine.

forgive my odd sense of humor.

Gemini78
06-30-2005, 06:43 PM
Maybe they will try to do a wooden coaster with a loop? That would be interesting and would certainly grab HW even more attention. On a more realistic note though I can see a coaster somewhere along the lines of 4,000-5,000 feet long with a max height of around 125 and a maximum speed of somewhere around 45-50. From descriptions of Raven and Legend they sound like they are pretty short. If so I think it would be good to have a decent length coaster.

Nascarlvr987
07-02-2005, 12:24 AM

New update on the Holiblog showing actual construction pics. Now maybe I'm reading a little bit too far into it, but I think there may be some hints in the captions for the photos. Such as "looks like this year's crop is a new hybrid." I realize what it is actually referring to, but maybe this new attraction will have some new element we have never seen.

Also, "Guess they've heard it's cooler underground." I realize also what this refers to, and that they are probably digging footers in that pic, but maybe we are looking at a tunnel or maybe more than one tunnel, on this thing. What really got me wondering was the "keep digging" part. Hmm.

89magnumxl200
07-02-2005, 01:06 AM
Maybe it will be like Hades. The hybrid refers to the steel structure and wood track. The cooler underground part probably refers to a tunnel.

Johnny Upsidedown
07-07-2005, 05:18 PM
66 degree drop with a total of 24 seconds in tunnels with 3 trains for the 84 people 20 foot wide tunnel for tracks both ways with steel support for a woody. Just my guess. Anyway anybody going to be at the park for the announcement on July 13th they say anybody can attend the announcement.

Nascarlvr987
07-07-2005, 07:09 PM
^If there's anyone who doesn't know what he's talking about, he got these numbers here:

RavenTTD
07-07-2005, 08:53 PM
All the information about the new attractions will be posted to HW website along with a ride simulation on the 13th.

magnumxl2005
07-08-2005, 08:53 PM
The hints are hard to figure out!

Alan J
07-08-2005, 09:47 PM
I think that this will be a wooden coaster with a 66 degrees drop with a total of 84 people riding at one time, so 3 trains with 7 cars each, 60 mph, 24.2 seconds in the tunnel witch is 20 feet wide. I dont know if it is right but thats what i came up with.

Gemini78
07-08-2005, 10:46 PM
I wish I could get down to Holiday World for the announcement, but I highly doubt it. I would certainly drive 5 to 6 hours though for that.

dcs221
07-08-2005, 10:59 PM
While it would be cool to be at the announcement, personally if I had to drive 5 hours then I'd patiently wait until it was open to make that drive. I think it'll be more satisfying to go when you can ride it. Just my opinion.

Gemini78
07-08-2005, 11:02 PM
I'd go for more than just the announcement (I'd be doing an all day marathon on Legend), but that announcement is really the motivator behind me wanting to go to HW.

Nascarlvr987
07-08-2005, 11:29 PM
I'm going to be there just two days before the announcement, so I don't think I feel like making the drive again just two days later.

Alan J
07-09-2005, 05:49 PM
I cant make it there because im just a kid and my dad will not drive there just to hear the announcement. But i still want to go!

ragan
07-09-2005, 06:23 PM
While it would be cool to be at the announcement, personally if I had to drive 5 hours then I'd patiently wait until it was open to make that drive. I think it'll be more satisfying to go when you can ride it. Just my opinion.

i agree 100% on that with you. it be ALOT more satisfy if you could actually ride it, just not see some pictures before anyone else by a mesiely (sp) hour.

RavenTTD
07-10-2005, 08:49 PM
The announcement MIGHT be live on the internet. Watch the holiblog over the next few days. Paula should post the link if it will be carried live somewhere.

Alan J
07-10-2005, 10:01 PM
Yea your right i will just wait until the ride opens and i can ride it. But i hope i can hear the announcement over the internet or download it because i have dial up.

RavenTTD
07-12-2005, 09:50 PM
Go to the Holiblog. Paula posted a link for a live webcast tomorrow at 11 Central. You have to catch it live because they are not going to archive it. If you miss it, the details should be on HW's website a half hour later.

Gemini78
07-12-2005, 09:55 PM
I'm definately going to be watching this announcement. I'm excited to see how much of a coaster this will be. It might actually make me want to go to HW.

Nascarlvr987
07-12-2005, 10:34 PM
If you didn't notice, I believe Paula also just told you what the new Holiday will be. Easter was on the list of possible Holidays, as seen here (http://www.holidayworld.com/holiblog/2005_06_19_archive.html), and Paula, in her last post about the announcement, seen here (http://www.holidayworld.com/holiblog/holiblog.html), said, "And he'll take us on the ride of our lives. (And that's no eggs-ageration.)"

I can think of no reason why she would do this other than to give us our last, but most important HoliHint.

Real
07-13-2005, 01:20 AM
Either that or its totally to throw you off. With the way they dropped hints it wouldnt suprise me.

However, that seems like the perfect Holiday to throw in there.

Nascarlvr987
07-13-2005, 02:16 AM
Yeah, I mean, everyone was saying that Easter was too religious, but I mean they have a Nativity scene in the Christmas section, and the last time I was there, they were playing "O Come, O Come Emmanuel" in the front gift shop. Plus, if any owners of a park could seem religious, it would be the people who show much love by giving out unlimited free soft drinks, sunscreen, tube rental, parking, and, as I found out yesterday, ponchos.

coasterlove
07-13-2005, 03:25 AM
I'm excited about this coaster but deep down I was hoping it would be a steel coaster. In some ways, I think it's a mistake, at least from a business standpoint. I think this new woodie will draw in fans of course but I think some people will just think to themself that it isn't that big a deal since it's just another woodie. I think a good steel coaster would've been the way to go.

Look at some of the parks near them like SFKK and PKI. Neither park is overwhelming when it comes to steel coasters. I think a great steel coaster like a B&M invert for example would have really made them stand out to a lot of people in the general public. Some people don't really appreciate wood that much. Even myself, I like wood coasters but I love a great steel coaster.

I just feel that they already have two wood coasters that get a lot of attention and strong word of mouth, why not stretch that over to a steel coaster too now? I'd hope at some point soon, they'll get a great steel coaster. I do think this new wooden coaster will likely be something great though. We'll find out exactly what it is in just over eight hours from now.

Nascarlvr987
07-13-2005, 09:50 AM
I don't think that Holiday World really cares what will be the best "business move" for them. I mean yeah, they don't want to go out of business, but obviously they're not nearly as concerned about making money as most parks are. Their number one goal is to keep a family-friendly atmosphere, with FAMILY FRIENDLY rides, that almost everyone can ride. Wooden coasters fit that bill, as they are often less intense, and always inversion free. (except SOB)

In deciding what roller coasters to ride, the one thing that keeps many people off is going upside-down. I don't think you will ever see an inversion in Holiday World. It might be a smart business move to add a steel coaster, but, once again, HW is not all that concerned with the smartest business move.

Besides, the park already has steel. I rode it five times the last time I was there, because I was afraid to get off due to the screaming kindergarten mob wanting to go again when there wasn't a line.

Lastly, Pat Koch personally tries each ride at least once whenever they get a new one. I think that a coaster with inversions of any kind would keep her away, as she had trouble with Halloswings. She would probably be devastated if she couldn't try a new ride. So, I'll say, we may see inversions in the hopefully distant future when Pat Koch passes away, but until then, we'll have to live with top ten woodies. :rolleyes:

PANTSFREE
07-13-2005, 10:08 AM
Less then an hour til the announcement... :O

nicktheride
07-13-2005, 10:29 AM
Can anyone tell me how long time there is to the announcement? The reason i ask is because that i live in Denmark, and i dont know what time 11 AM in USA is here in denmark. And i'm definately going to watch the live announcement. So please tell me how long time there is to the announcement. Thanks

Gemini78
07-13-2005, 10:29 AM
Actually, there is still an hour and a half, the annoncemement is 11 CST (Central Standard Time), or noon on the east coast. I'll definately be watching this live.

nicktheride
07-13-2005, 10:35 AM
Actually, there is still an hour and a half, the annoncemement is 11 CST (Central Standard Time), or noon on the east coast. I'll definately be watching this live.

Ohh. Okay. Thanks Gemini78. So it's going to be 18:00 here in Denmark until the announcement begins. Can't wait...

I hope that it's a Intamin Woodie, because after that i have rode Balder, I must say that Balder is the nummer one wooden coaster in the world. Or it must be, because i havnt rode all wooden coasters in the world. Only Falken at Fårup Sommerland, Rutschebanen at Tivoli Gardens and the on at Bakken, Stampida and Tomahawk at PortAventura, so...

PKIDelirium
07-13-2005, 10:55 AM
http://www.news25.us/Global/story.asp?S=3586037

LIVE WEBSTREAM NOW!!!

nicktheride
07-13-2005, 11:02 AM
http://www.news25.us/Global/story.asp?S=3586037

LIVE WEBSTREAM NOW!!!

Hmm. No, it's not on yet... There's 54 mins to go now...

PANTSFREE
07-13-2005, 11:04 AM
11:04, no link is up?

coasterlove
07-13-2005, 11:10 AM
Nascarlvr987, don't get me wrong, I'm not upset that they're getting a woodie or think it's stupid. If they get 10 woodies, that's great because that's a lot of coasters tro ride. They might not seem to be as concerned with making money as other parks but it's still a high priority for anyone in life. I very much respect them for doing things their way. Examples would be a lot of the free things they have that other parks charge an arm and a leg for.

In saying they want to be a family park, keep in mind that includes a lot of teenagers and sometimes they wanna break away from their parents for an hour or two. So there's nothing wrong with having a coaster for them to ride besides great wooden coasters.

Their number one goal is to keep a family-friendly atmosphere, with FAMILY FRIENDLY rides, that almost everyone can ride. Wooden coasters fit that bill, as they are often less intense, and always inversion free. (except SOB)

In deciding what roller coasters to ride, the one thing that keeps many people off is going upside-down. I don't think you will ever see an inversion in Holiday World.

It depends on how you look at it. At my homepark SFGAm, we have Demon. It's an old Arrow looper that goes upside down four times. Two loops and two corkscrews on it. The height requirement is just 44in. If you ever go there and ride it, while waiting in line, you'll find yourself surrounded by small kids with their parents. And very few of those kids will be even the slightest bit nervous about it. Yet some of those same kids are afraid just looking at the two wooden coasters there.

Now looking at older people, take my girlfriend for example. She hates riding the wooden coaster Viper. Why? Because the extreme airtime. She hates the feeling like she's going to come out of her seat over and over again. Yet she likes Demon and also Batman a lot despite all their inversions. Even Iron Wolf didn't scare her once she rode it, she just said that basically it sucked. So she must know something about coasters ;)

By the way, she even doesn't mind Raging Bull that much anymore.

I get what you're saying about family coasters but depending on how tall this new woodie at Holiday World is, it's no more a family coaster than steel looper.

RavenTTD
07-13-2005, 11:26 AM
11:04, no link is up?
Try 11 central.

Gemini78
07-13-2005, 11:43 AM
Just 15 more minutes, I'm getting tense. I don't think it is an Intamin woodie, because I believe it will be using steel supports. I'm guessing this is a Gravity Group project.

Nascarlvr987
07-13-2005, 11:48 AM
^Which is why those workmen were going underground. ;)

robvia
07-13-2005, 11:58 AM
Obviously, the live broadcast page is getting slammed. Not coming up for me.
Oh well, someone post a play by play if you are getting the cast.
Edit: Came up briefly, but now cut out.

Mambakicks___
07-13-2005, 12:01 PM
really slow loading for me 2

Nascarlvr987
07-13-2005, 12:11 PM
Well, that's expected, I mean on the blog, Paula said she was getting e-mails from Britain and Germany asking about the time difference. I don't think a local news station's web site is set up to handle that.

nicktheride
07-13-2005, 12:14 PM
Also VERY slow loading for me... :-(

It's must likly over now, so did anyone see it?

Goudurix13
07-13-2005, 12:16 PM
Omg Check The Holiday World Website Its Awsome :-d Happy Cluck Cluck Day~!!!!

hulkrider04
07-13-2005, 12:19 PM
The world's top "air-time" wooden coaster

Air-time of 24.2 seconds

Track length: 6,442 feet (1.2 miles)

Maximum speed: 67.4 mph

Five underground tunnels

173 feet tall, with drops of 154, 107 and 100 feet

Three 28-passenger PTC trains

2 min., 45 sec. ride time

Eight underground traverses

Two 90-degree extreme banked turns

First drop's angle of descent a U.S. record: 66 degrees

Among the world's top three longest and fastest wooden coasters

http://www.holidayworld.com/new2006.html
http://www.holidayworld.com/images/spacer.gifhttp://www.holidayworld.com/images/spacer.gif

RaptorXLC
07-13-2005, 12:21 PM
Holy Crap! This ride looks amazing. It's like half Shivering Timbers, half terrain.

89magnumxl200
07-13-2005, 12:22 PM
I'm definately going to Holiday World next year. That new coaster sounds awesome

Gemini78
07-13-2005, 12:23 PM
I'll see anyone else who plans on riding this opening day on May 6, 2006 at Holiday World.

ragan
07-13-2005, 12:24 PM
ahhhh, TOTALLY AWESOME!!!

they just sold two tickets for me next year...

robvia
07-13-2005, 12:24 PM
Yes, very awesome, I'm impressed. I give it a WOW.

Weird name at first, but I guess we can just abbreviate it as V or TV and everyone will know what it is.

hulkrider04
07-13-2005, 12:32 PM
"Other new attractions planned for 2006 include Bahari River, an action river for Splashin' Safari. The Thanksgiving section in Holiday World will be stuffed full of family fun, including a turkey-chase-themed interactive "dark ride," another new ride, large restaurant, shop, games and more."

Shoot the turkey!!!!!!

coasterlove
07-13-2005, 12:56 PM
I got a few things to say, first of which is....Hades who???

Second is to Nascarlvr987-is this still considered a family coaster? ;)

Last, it isn't just Holiday World getting a big woodie. After seeing those pics, I got a pretty big woodie too.

Jerry S
07-13-2005, 01:04 PM
I'm a bit out of the loop, does anyone know what company this is? Gravity Group it seems?

ragan
07-13-2005, 01:07 PM
i dunno either. id guess GG cause they need to put their foot in the coaster world.

coasterlove
07-13-2005, 01:21 PM
If it wasn't already said, I would say for sure it's Gravity Group just because of all the similarities to Hades. Wood track and steel structure, underground tunnels, very steep drop, 90 degree banked turns. All of these things are extremely rare for wooden coasters. So for a woooden coaster to have all these traits just one year after Hades, who else could it be?

Wes
07-13-2005, 01:42 PM
Gravity Group is designing it. Just checked rcdb.com

This thing looks INSANE!!!

mr.freezedude
07-13-2005, 01:47 PM
176 feet tall icant wait!!!!!

bigboy_1234567
07-13-2005, 02:05 PM
this could easily become the best woodie in the world!

Gemini78
07-13-2005, 02:10 PM
I think it has already gotten my top spot just because of the airtime. I can't wait to experience the triple-down in the tunnel, that will be insane!

jimths08
07-13-2005, 02:11 PM
I'm thinking NL rec for this!

I think the vid on that site is from NL, the track looks the same as does the enviro. Trees dont' but they could be 3ds imports.

Wes
07-13-2005, 02:13 PM
The one and only concern I have is that it's going to be a steel structure and that tends to make woodys rougher.

sfft_2108
07-13-2005, 02:30 PM
WOW!! This looks pretty sweet. http://www.rcdb.com/id3231.htm

FLCC Josh
07-13-2005, 02:35 PM
The name is Lame....the coaster looks FREAKIN SWEEET though!

HPStormRunner22
07-13-2005, 02:40 PM
I might have to get my parents to change our vacation plans for next year. Who cares about Thunderhead and a Topple Tower? lol. This coaster looks awesome.

Chris L
07-13-2005, 03:06 PM
i dunno either. id guess GG cause they need to put their foot in the coaster world.

Yeah in the technical sense, but Gravity Group is just a reformed Custom Coasters In't. When Co-CEO Dinn-Larick split with her husband (both formed the company) Custom Coasters In't. was no more. Denise Dinn (daughter of Charles Dinn of Summers/Dinn Corp. - the guys that created Psyclone and Mean Streak) is now working under Stan Checketts' as the head of the wooden coaster department at S&S Power in Utah. But her entire ex-designing team stuck together and formed their own company - Gravity Group, LLC. And these are the guys responsible for the engineering of the popular monstrosities we all know and love today such as The Raven, Shivering Timbers, GhostRider, The Legend, Rampage, The Villain, among others. So basing their experience on that, I think The Voyage will turn out to be a mighty fine ride.

Jerry S
07-13-2005, 03:09 PM
^As is Hades.

But you could also Consider S&S wood to be like CCI as well, because Denise Dinn was the head of CCI, and is now the head of S&S wood, so GG and S&S Wood are really CCI. So that means the Wisconsin Dells has 5 CCIs.

jimths08
07-13-2005, 03:09 PM
^ Exaclty. This and Hades is their only coasters under the name they now have but really you could say this is a CCI. I consider them the same company.

Chris L
07-13-2005, 03:36 PM
I also want to mention that The Voyage's first drop of 66-degrees is as steep as Nitro's first drop. And it's wood for cryin' out loud. :eek: And did anybody else catch the part about the two track sections banked all the way to 90-degrees? Yikes.

Holiday World probably just cemented itself as a wood coaster haven with this announcement. The Legend, The Raven, and now this.

ragan
07-13-2005, 03:45 PM
yeah. they beat PKI or the dells with this ride. i wouldnt be shocked to a B&M coaster filled with sand be at the park beofre 2010.

TopThrillDouger
07-13-2005, 03:53 PM
This looks like an awesome coaster. A 90-degree banked turn is going to be wicked. However, what gets me is over 24 seconds of airtime! w00t!

The theme sounds quaint considering the name of the park. I just rode some woodies at Hersheypark about a week ago and now I want to go to Holiday World to ride their's. ;)

Douger

bigboy_1234567
07-13-2005, 05:16 PM
If you think about the "Voyage" the pilgrams had to make, all the rough seas and storms, the name sorta makes sense. The name is quite lame IMO, but the theme isn't too bad considering its going into a Thanksgiving themed section of the park. I have to ride this moster before I die.

Cephas
07-13-2005, 06:53 PM
Damn this coaster looks awesome!

Carowinds 73-03
07-13-2005, 07:12 PM
The coaster looks insane, I'm really looking foward to my trip next year. The name is ok but who really cares about a name.

The only thing i don't like about the coaster in the steel structure as Wes pointed out that could make the ride a total bust, We'll see next year.

ThunderDan
07-13-2005, 07:15 PM
I like the name! I thought somebody would apply that theme to a water coaster though.

The Midwest is definitely the wooden coaster capital of the world! Wisconsin Dells; SFGAM; Indiana Beach; SFKK*; SFSTl; Now The Voyage!

rjholla2003
07-13-2005, 07:21 PM
This coaster looks awesome. I gotta find a way to get out to Holliday World next season.

mcreek05
07-13-2005, 07:25 PM
if you want to watch the press release go to

www.14wfie.com

coasterlove
07-13-2005, 07:57 PM
The Midwest is definitely the wooden coaster capital of the world! Wisconsin Dells; SFGAM; Indiana Beach; SFKK*; SFSTl; Now The Voyage!

Wait, wait, wait, you put SFKK in there but left out PKI??? LOL.

I just found it funny for two reason. I don't know if I can see SFKK as being midwest but PKI isn't.

Also, I think that PKI is probably better when it comes to woodie. At SFKK, Thunder Run is pretty good and Twisted Twins was fun bot not great.

But that's just my opinion but I've never really heard anyone else rave about SFKK's woodies either.

Montu Man
07-13-2005, 08:09 PM
The ride itself is only costing 6.5 million, thats surprising. Even though the name and theme totally suck, the ride itself looks incredible.

HighJander
07-14-2005, 12:21 AM
Someone brought up S&S building wood coasters because of Custom Coasters breaking up. Has S&S installed any wood coasters since the acquistion of part of CCI?

Leo C
07-14-2005, 01:18 AM
S&S brought in Tsunami I believe.

This ride looks niiiiccceeee.

magnumxl2005
07-14-2005, 01:23 AM
Jeez 173 ft first drop is pretty big for this coaster, it even breaks the record for worlds steepest wooden drop at 66 degrees!

jimths08
07-14-2005, 01:24 AM
Only by 1 degree though...

Brian F
07-14-2005, 01:30 AM
The name is quite lame IMO

Dude, this coaster is in Indiana, the same state the gave us Cornball Express. (which BTW is ALSO an awesome coaster!)

Chris L
07-14-2005, 06:07 AM
Jeez 173 ft first drop is pretty big for this coaster, it even breaks the record for worlds steepest wooden drop at 66 degrees!

You mean 154' first drop (that's still pretty damn big for a wood coaster). The lift-hill itself isn't even 173'. It's the highest track point on the ride to the ground that's 173'. I'm not bashing, I'm just making a correction. :)

bigboy_1234567
07-14-2005, 10:23 AM

Only in North America. Balder, at Liseberg in Sweeden, has a first drop of 70 degrees.
Also, I do believe "The Voyage" is a lame name. It just doesn't fit with the hugeness and awesomeness of the ride. It will still be incredible, just doesn't fit IMO.

Someone brought up S&S building wood coasters because of Custom Coasters breaking up. Has S&S installed any wood coasters since the acquistion of part of CCI?

S&S has also built Falken at Fårup Sommerland in Denmark. BTW, how do they ride?

dcs221
07-14-2005, 12:37 PM
Avalanche and J2 (initially called Tsunami) are also S&S woodies. I haven't seen any videos of J2, but I've seen both onrides and offrides of Avalanche and I can tell you that it's the fastest paced ride I've ever seen, comperable to that of Millennium Force. Those tight curves and the abundant air on the bunny hops I'm sure provide one of the best wood coaster experiences in the world (though I haven't been on it so I can't tell you from experience.) I've read that J2 is one of the most intense woodies around. I think Timberhawk is S&S too, but supposedly that's more of a family type woodie.

coasterlove
07-14-2005, 01:26 PM
I have to say that I'm very surprised that it only cost $6.5 million. It just seems so large and also so much track to only cost that much. What's even more surprising that if a woodie that size can be built for so relatively cheap, more parks aren't doing so.

A lot of parks get steel after steel andd I don't have a problem with it, I love steel coasters. I'm just surprised because there are still a few bigger parks that don't really have a great standout wooden coaster (CP, SFMM, etc). Finally SFGAd looks like they'll be getting a grea wooden coaster. But also smaller parks too if a coaster this size costs only $6.5 million, I'm sure something pretty good could be built for $3-4 million.

And I certainly hope so too. I wouldn't mind seeing some more of these types of wooden coasters being built.

On Ride Central
07-14-2005, 03:10 PM
I think "The Voyage" is an excellent name, especially for a ride of this magnitude. Anyone have any idea how much this would have cost if it had been wooden supports?

Carowinds 73-03
07-14-2005, 03:13 PM
Not sure but it woulden't have been a whole lot more, Just wish HW didn't go the cheap way.

jimths08
07-14-2005, 03:18 PM
I'm sure it would actually be quite a bit more because on the straight hills, it looks as though there arne't any wide supports and with wood, it would be stairsteped out alot like this. (http://rcdb.com/ig616.htm?picture=7)

Alan J
07-14-2005, 03:25 PM
Well it looks like they beat Hades, so that means im going to try to get there sometime in 06 to ride this thing.

ragan
07-14-2005, 03:32 PM
actually him. its going to be more like shivering timbers instead of boss which is a twisted woodie, not an out and back like the voyage and shivering timbers are.

heres a pic of what i mean: http://rcdb.com/ig478.htm?picture=4

jimths08
07-14-2005, 03:35 PM
Yea but either way, if those were steel supports, the supports wouldn't be wide. Boss or Shivering Timbers.

Gemini78
07-14-2005, 03:40 PM
Most wooden coasters use a southern yellow pine for the supports, and it would end up costing about as much as SOB, which was the parks largest single investment as part of a $40 million expansion. So I would guess that SOB cost about double the cost of Voyage, if not more. So wood supports would probably have raised the cost at least to 7 million or more.

coasterfreak14
07-14-2005, 04:17 PM
That is AWESOME! I want to get my parents to take me there next year or at least sometime to ride it. Think of it, over 20 sec. of airtime! How awesome would that be?! I really want to ride it! BTW something funny, the videos were made w/ NL. I watched the Off-ride video and all the sounds were EXACTLY the same as NL. lol:p

WildMouse
07-14-2005, 04:36 PM
Hasn't the price of steel increased? Maybe they bought their allotment before the price went up.

Gemini78
07-14-2005, 04:39 PM
Steel is expensive, but I think wood is more per feet as oppossed to steel's price being decided by its weight or however they do that with that much wood and steel. I think that means the steel would end up being less in the long run in terms of supporting the coaster.

mcreek05
07-14-2005, 04:42 PM
Dude, this coaster is in Indiana, the same state the gave us Cornball Express.

OMG its also where holiday world is, and it has the Raven and the Legend OMG

bk2004
07-14-2005, 05:37 PM
I just now saw everything for the coaster and it looks awesome. I've always wanted to go to Holiday World to ride the Raven and then Legend but everyone says the park is so small and itsn't much more, but with this awesome roller coaster, it should bring me in. :-D

coasterfreakk
07-14-2005, 07:27 PM
I just read the blog and it said that this ride has created more buzz than any other ride has in the past 5 years.WOW! bk2004 Holiday World is not all that small and its alot of fun I like it better than sfog and sfkk they may have some great coasters but the feel of the park is so much better at HW.

bk2004
07-14-2005, 07:46 PM
Yeah it is a good park and I'm sure the atmosphere is great. Just on all the trip reports that I've heard, they say the park is...well I don't know so just nevermind. But nevertheless, The Voyage will be a great addition to the park.
---
Look at the price, $6.5 million! That's a great deal. GG Inc. sure does keep its word.

willski2002
07-14-2005, 09:25 PM
Wes, wooden roller coasters with steel supports are actually not rough. The reason that most hybrids are rough is because they were taken care of poorly/had bad trains. Think about it, if a park has to skimp on money and buy steel supports and bad trains to keep costs down, are they really going to keep up the coaster very well? Probably not, except in a few cases. Holiday World, Big Chief's, and Martin's Fantasy Island are parks that will take great care of their hybrids, and they won't get rough.

And to whomever wondered how much wooden supports would cost, it would be about 2.5 times the cost, but maybe more, as it would take mcuh more wood than steel to hold this behemoth up. Besides, no one even knows if GG uses anything but steel supports.

Sweet, sweet ride, with a bad name, but oh well. It's designed by the master himself, Larry Bill, using what appeared to be the professional version of NL (if it even exsists), and had 19 moments of airtime, judging from the video. I'll be at Holiday World next year, just not on opening day, so I can ride Voyage, Legend, and Raven 20+ times.

89magnumxl200
07-14-2005, 10:56 PM
And to whomever wondered how much wooden supports would cost, it would be about 2.5 times the cost, but maybe more, as it would take mcuh more wood than steel to hold this behemoth up. Besides, no one even knows if GG uses anything but steel supports.
GG uses wood, steel, and combos, but I doubt that any of their big coasters will use wood supports.

Ta2KX
07-14-2005, 11:31 PM
Well it looks like they beat Hades, so that means im going to try to get there sometime in 06 to ride this thing.

No, no, no, small child. Not beat; complement. Welcome to chapter 2

Stark Raven Mad 2006, could their be a sweeter set of words ?

PINK FLOYD FANA
07-15-2005, 02:35 AM
It is exactly or very close to everything I've wished for!! Only Will Koch is smart enough to grant my wish for a world's record airtime machine with the steepest drop and 5 tunnels. Looks like I won't need to win the Powerball at all since Will just brought my BIG woodie for me!!! :-) Now I just need to win the Hot Lotto so I can build a cabin on Christmas Lake (if there are any vacant lot) because I will want ot retire from my factory job in MN so that I can ride The Voyage DAILY!! :-)

Dan_Ozcoaster
07-15-2005, 03:56 AM
Here are my reasons for being of the opinion that they name, does not infact, suck.

Just like we can use music or art to represent something meaningful, coaster designers/park owners can do the same thing with a roller coaster. Who knows, maybe even each hill, airtime moment, bank, drop tunnel etc etc is time to represent a moment in time in America's past. He kind of alluded to this in his speech, but I have no way of telling how far they took this to a micro level.

Just putting it out there, for those that like to think in abract terms.

Bruns
07-15-2005, 12:04 PM
^ No man, The Voyage is themed to the pilgrim's journey to the New World (Thanksgiving section, afterall). That was before America even existed so the history of America in this ride would not really fit the theme. 4th of July, perhaps. I know you were just philosophizing (is that a word?) and I hate to burst your bubble, but I had to. I'm a jerk like that.

And this will definently be Gravity Group's best ride to date. Even though it will only be its second. Yes, Hades was good but far from great. I can tell from the tingling sensation I get when I read about Voyage that it will be great. I mean, it pretty much beats Hades in every category except for the length of the tunnel, and I think tunnels are worthless anyway. If I want darkness, I'll close my eyes. Its that simple.

Coasterholica
07-16-2005, 03:53 AM
Does the name really matter that much? No in my opinion. I think 'The Voyage' has a nice ring to it anyway, and fits in with the new Thanksgiving section for reasons that have already been mentioned. Those that cant stand it will probably get used to it over time.

As for the actual ride experience itself (which is what counts at the end of the day), its should be stunning if the mock up video is anything to go by. The layout is brilliant, and the fact that the track will be in close proxemity to nearby trees should highten its thrill factor. Those tunnels should be fun too, but are hardly the highlight of the ride in my opinion. I'mmore interested in the 24.2 seconds of airtime that the ride is supposed to have. I love my airtime, so this ride should be 1.2 miles of sheer bliss.

Roll on 2007 when I'll be going out to Holiday World amongst other places with the RCCGB, and will be able to try The Voyage out, along with The Raven and The Legend. The wait is going to be unbearable!

Gravity Group are definitely a coaster company to watch. It would be great if a UK park took the plunge and built a woodie made by them. But sadly I dont think that is going to happen anytime soon, especially as the last new 'full sized' woodie we got was Megafobia waaay back in 1998.

We need more wood in the UK!

Dan G
07-16-2005, 04:24 AM
It is exactly or very close to everything I've wished for!! Only Will Koch is smart enough to grant my wish for a world's record airtime machine with the steepest drop and 5 tunnels. Looks like I won't need to win the Powerball at all since Will just brought my BIG woodie for me!!! :-) Now I just need to win the Hot Lotto so I can build a cabin on Christmas Lake (if there are any vacant lot) because I will want ot retire from my factory job in MN so that I can ride The Voyage DAILY!! :-)

Uh, The Voyage didn't beat the record for steepest drop I hope you know. I could have sworn it said the coasters drop was 66 degrees. That doesn't beat Balder's drop of 70 degrees. Sorry, but no record there. It might be the steepest in the U.S., but thats really not a record.

On Ride Central
07-16-2005, 10:42 AM
Yes, they said steepest in the US. And it is. And I would certainly consider that a record... just not a world record.

coasterdude28
07-16-2005, 12:37 PM
I am very excited for this ride and I might not ever ride it. I love the tunnels and hills and turns and every part of it. This ride looks so incredible. I hope that we see many more coasters like this and Hades and the others. If the video is accurate, it interacts beautifully with the terrain and what not. Congrats HW.

Alan J
07-16-2005, 05:29 PM
Very well put coasterdude. I think this coaster will be great! I love Hades but i think i will have to switch to this one.

Leo C
07-16-2005, 08:14 PM
The name "The Voyage" sounds so laid back this coaster should be next to a Jimmy Buffet Restaurant.

I was impressed with the speed and length in the video. Quite a long, long journey.

coasterlove
07-16-2005, 10:15 PM
I just now saw everything for the coaster and it looks awesome. I've always wanted to go to Holiday World to ride the Raven and then Legend but everyone says the park is so small and itsn't much more, but with this awesome roller coaster, it should bring me in. :-D

Yep, you're like me, you were viewing it on a Sidekick at first and couldn't click the pics because of Javascript and couldn't view the video for obvious reasons. When I finally did see it in action, I was truly amazed by it. It just keeps going and going. They could've just as easily called it The Energizer Bunny. The ride was so long, it would almost be boring if it didn't keep doing some great stuff it seams during the ride.

89magnumxl200
07-16-2005, 10:43 PM
The Voyage is not that bad of a name IMO. It all depends on how you say it and what you think when you here it. In a way it sounds kind of condemning, vast, and trecherous. The more I hear it, the more it grows on me (cue The Darkness).

raser
07-17-2005, 07:09 PM
Look at it the name is not for the coaster it is what enthusiasts will be doing next year. They will be planning a voyage to Holiday World to ride the #1 and #3 wooden coaster and the Voyage, Lets make that the #1 #2 and #4 wooden coasters....:)

RaptorXLC
07-26-2005, 09:21 PM
I know I will be, and I have no doubt in my mind that it won't take long for Voyage to make it's way into the top 5. I've been wanting to get out to HW for a while now, and now that Voyage is coming, I can't miss out on HW again.

Just a quick pretty much unrelated question. What are parks are a short drive from HW? I know SFKK isn't too far. If anyone's done a trip out to HW and hit a few other parks, I'd appreciate it.

Alan J
07-26-2005, 09:31 PM
after our cedar point trip on our way back home we will go there to ride all of the coasters ther at least 5 times each.

coasetrphil
07-26-2005, 09:31 PM
HW is about an hour outside of Louisville, so your best plan would probably include HW, SFKK and PKI. If you wanted a bigger trip, you could do PKI, SFKK, HW, Indiana Beach, SFGAm, and then even up to Wisconsin Dells. That would be a pretty long trip though.

raser
07-26-2005, 10:01 PM
Depends on how far you want to drive. Indian Beach isn't too far and of course PKI and CP are a few hour drive also you have SFSTL and SFGam but those are farther away as well as geauga lake and kennywood. It is all relevant to how far you want to drive....

RavenTTD
07-27-2005, 08:58 AM
Don't forget Beech Bend (new GCI next year), Dollywood, and SF:StL.

jimths08
07-27-2005, 10:50 AM
SFStl? I only read this post in this thread for awhile so I'm not sure if this is just sarcasm, but the most SFStl will get next year is SFGAm's B:TR put in next to SFStl's B:TR to make a dueling coaster. Also, why would they get another woodie if they allready have 2 with the park having a total of 5 coasters?

Bencerisback
07-27-2005, 12:02 PM
They were talking about parks near HW, and SFSTL is 2-3 hours away from HW.

jimths08
07-27-2005, 12:11 PM
OOO, ok, yea, now it makes sense reading it differently...

coasterfreakk
08-02-2005, 04:43 PM
I was looking at the blog today and they showed a pic of the supports going up for the new coaster.

hulkrider04
08-03-2005, 08:06 AM
http://www.holidayworld.com/holiblog/uploaded_images/0801steel-760174.JPG
Here is the picture.

kcar713
08-10-2005, 10:48 AM
Read about the progress here: http://www.holidayworld.com/holiblog/2005_08_07_archive.html

coasterdude28
08-10-2005, 11:02 AM
Well, it seems like progress is going well. I would have loved to be the 16 year old kid next to Rick on the plane ride.

Johnny Upsidedown
08-20-2005, 10:05 PM
Paul has posted some new photos as supports and the beginnings of the wood track under ties. Photos can be seen at http://www.negative-g.com or here are the photos at http://www.negative-g.com/HolidayWorld/HW2006/Construction/8-20-2005/2005-Construction-8-20-2005-1.htm

magnumxl2005
08-24-2005, 11:03 PM
Hopefully the MCBR doesn't hurt the ride too much!?

RavenTTD
08-29-2005, 05:56 PM
There will not be any MCBR.

Knatte
08-29-2005, 06:52 PM
There's a MCBR after the turnaround but it's more like a few meters of straight track and perhaps withsome brakes to use in case of an emergency. So it shouldn't hurt the ride at all...

Carowinds 73-03
08-29-2005, 08:13 PM
Oh wow, i didn't even know there was one. I'll bet it hurts the ride and slows it down alot for it's return.

magnumxl2005
08-29-2005, 08:35 PM
Yeah In the POV it shows a long straight away I figured it would be there, I think you must have a MCBR to run 3 trains??!

Zingoman
08-29-2005, 11:46 PM
Well, the flat section runs on the ground. I bet they would only have a MCB to stop the ride for emergencies. I'm not sure that it would make it all the way back if stopped there. I could be wrong though. It does seem to have a lot of downhill following that part. As for the video being No Limits I would say definitly! The sound effects on the off ride video, and the way that the veiw follows the trains is just like the on ride fly bye veiw on NL. I think they may have used a more up to date version that perhaps we, the regular people, don't have access to yet, or they did a lot of their own 3D work. If you watch the on ride POV video at the very end, that is without a doubt a NL station building in the distance. Look for it when the train stops. This is a phenominally exciting project though!!!! What a ride! I think I will almost HAVE to go next summer. I can't wait until this ride is finished!!

raser
08-30-2005, 11:09 AM
^^ Has anyone else noticed what looks like a paper airplane comming towards you when you are going up the lift hill? I have noticed alot of technical errors in the video but that one is weird...

Zingoman
08-30-2005, 04:21 PM
I thought I saw something like that. LOL. That IS weird. It actually looks like a jet or something. Is there an airport or a military base anywhere near the park at all? If so it might just be a silly little detail they stuck in for fun.

BSBMX
08-30-2005, 10:51 PM
I think on HW's Holiblog, one of the GG guys said that was a piece of foilage or something that simply wasn't edited out in the final cut.

Also, that flat section could be a MCBR. I believe there is like a 100+ ft. difference in height elevation from the front of the ride to the back (meaning the MCBR *could* be 100-ish feet up higher than the station), thus a MCBR is entirely possible.

RavenTTD
09-01-2005, 01:27 PM
Paula already said there is no MCBR.

coastercory06
09-01-2005, 10:14 PM
All I can say is that ride looks absolutely amazing. If it is not a top five coaster, at the worst, I will be shocked.

I really hope next year I can road trip to Ohio, and I will definitely be stopping at HW.

SheiKra
09-04-2005, 12:22 PM
I really am considering taking a trip to holiday world to ride this thing

raser
09-05-2005, 06:28 PM
All I can say is that ride looks absolutely amazing. If it is not a top five coaster, at the worst, I will be shocked.

I really hope next year I can road trip to Ohio, and I will definitely be stopping at HW.Sorry to say but if you roadtrip to Ohio you won't get to ride this as it is in Indiana...

coastercory06
09-05-2005, 10:51 PM
I know...but I can always stop on the way. Not too hard coming from kc.

Martin
09-09-2005, 04:09 PM
This was from the 5th, but here's an update that no one has yet posted:
http://www.negative-g.com/HolidayWorld/HW2006/Construction/9-5-2005/2005-Construction-9-5-2005-1.htm

coasterdude28
09-11-2005, 12:22 AM
Looks great. This is going to be a great coaster.

Carowinds 73-03
09-11-2005, 12:28 AM
Seems to be moveing along nicely. Thanks for the update.

bk2004
09-11-2005, 01:41 AM
Oh wow track is already up. Cool! It looks weird to see random twists and turns laying here and there. Haha. Hope it all connects right! :D

RavenTTD
09-13-2005, 02:38 PM
You can see the colors of the trains in the new Holiblog entry and you can check out how high they are on the lift on the webcam. I love the trains. In fact, I love everything about this ride.

BSBMX
09-13-2005, 05:14 PM
I don't really know why they chose blue for the color of the trains. How does blue tie in with Thanksgiving?

SheiKra
09-13-2005, 05:32 PM
I think that the blue trains will contrast with the wood very nicely!

EVERYBODY LOOK AT THE NEW HOLIBLOG NOW!!!

A reader asked previously if there was going to be a new ride for 07, and Paula said 08'.

Now she has hinted a Giant Frisbee as you can see at the bottom of the update.

Zingoman
09-14-2005, 12:46 AM
The pilgrims sailed the "ocean blue". I mean it was the same one as Columbus right? Just a corny theory.

coasterdude28
09-14-2005, 03:18 PM
I liked the hint at the end of the blog. That would be a nice addition to the park.

Raven Maven
09-14-2005, 06:11 PM
HA!

I gave up HoliHints on July 12!

Paula

SheiKra
09-14-2005, 07:09 PM
OK Paula, whatever you say...;) :)

RavenTTD
09-14-2005, 08:28 PM
After that firework one I sure hope so!
LOL/JK Paula, welcome to the dark side.

Everyone check out the new blog about the turkey call ride.

Bruns
09-15-2005, 09:45 PM
I don't really know why they chose blue for the color of the trains. How does blue tie in with Thanksgiving?

Probably nothing, but what does it matter? It's just a color. What does green and purple have to do with raptors? It's just a purdy color.

Zingoman
09-16-2005, 01:14 AM
They said they did research though if you read through the blog. I wonder what they found that convinced them to make them blue. We may find out eventually. Not really what I am thinking about on this project though. I'm ready for it to open! Didn't someone say something about a Turkey Tilt-A-Whirl?

Raven Maven
09-16-2005, 04:47 PM
By research, I mean we asked different departments for their opinions. For example, a darker color doesn't show the dirt as much. And certain colors photograph better than others. That sort of thing...

And the "blue" represents the "deep blue sea" that the pilgrims crossed back in 1620.

Paula (I think we need a vertical-format webcam (http://holidayworld.com/web_cam.html)!)

Zingoman
09-20-2005, 12:37 AM
Aha. I got it right. Who cares if I can't do algebra? I can figure out color schemes baby!

RavenTTD
09-20-2005, 05:01 PM
I was interested to see what the supports for an above ground 90 degree banked turn would look like, and it looks like you can now see them in the webcam. I can't wait for the close up shots.

BSBMX
09-20-2005, 05:20 PM
The lateral forces on those 90* banked turns must be insane.

Raven Maven
09-20-2005, 06:45 PM
RavenTTD--

I can actually zoom in more with the new webcam, but then it won't focus. (So what good is it, anyway?!)

I'm hoping to take a lovely walk tomorrow to get some shots of the 90-degree turn -- up close and in focus -- for the HoliBlog. :sun:

Thanks, Paula

RavenTTD
09-20-2005, 07:04 PM
You rock Paula! I hope you don't get anymore jiggers for us. Sorry I will be missing the Oct. event, but I will be sure to be there plenty next year.

SheiKra
09-20-2005, 07:59 PM
Paula is the best! Can I make a photo request please if you can? I was wondering if you could maybe take a picture of the hill after # 3. I have a feeling that this one hill will be talked about for A LONG time. It all looks phenominal, and is a masterpiece.

RavenTTD
09-22-2005, 10:39 AM
http://www.holidayworld.com/holiblog/uploaded_images/921ninetydegree-776009.JPG
90* Banked turn. Thanks again.

tcornolo
09-22-2005, 12:17 PM
That looks sweet! This ride is bound to be in the top three wooden coasters.

coasterdude28
09-22-2005, 03:25 PM
Great picture. Thanks for getting it.

RavenTTD
09-26-2005, 10:47 AM
http://www.negative-g.com/HolidayWorld/HW2006/Construction/9-24-2005/2005-Construction-9-24-2005-1.htm
New construction pics.

FLCC Josh
09-26-2005, 11:34 AM
Very nice pictures....I miss my tours of SheiKra. Ya gotta love being able to get those shots that no one else has...like standing in the track at the bottom of the first drop ;)
Again, love the pics!

coasterdude28
09-26-2005, 03:13 PM
Great pictures. Some of those turns look incredible.

BSBMX
09-26-2005, 04:02 PM
I'm going there this Saturday, and I plan on spending a lot of time on the Raven and Legend. Hopefully I can get a few good pictures of the Voyage on the contruction tour.

coasterfreakk
10-11-2005, 05:00 PM
There are some new pics up on the blog today they are showing the 90degree banked turns.

Johnny Upsidedown
10-11-2005, 05:05 PM
Paul over at Negative G has a couple new photos of the lift hill structure. Go here http://www.negative-g.com/HolidayWorld/HW2006/Construction/10-8-2005/2005-Construction-10-8-2005.htm

Holiblog photos are wicked looking.

Zingoman
10-11-2005, 06:55 PM
No wonder the verticle construction quit climbing up taller. I thought the taller crane would be there already. It seemed to me as though things were starting to idle with the ride's construction considering the lack of updates, photos, and the webcam was not showing the ride getting taller. I knew it was still being built, but at a much slower pace than before it seemed. I guess they want to build up everything as tall as possible before the taller crane gets there. How many sections of the ride will require a taller crane than the one at present anyways? I would guess the lift, and second hill. I believe the terrain is high enough by the third hill that the present crane could top it off. Anybody know?

coasterdude28
10-11-2005, 07:00 PM
Looks amazing. This coaster is growing quickly.

Nascarlvr987
10-11-2005, 07:20 PM
Zingoman, I believe that they just need the taller crane for the first lift hill. The second lift hill only has a drop of 107 feet, and they can easily achieve that with the shorter crane. Plus, if they did need the bigger crane for the second hill, it would currently be as tall as the first, seeing as they need the bigger crane for the first lift, and it is highly built up, so if they needed it for the second hill, it would also be highly built up already, so as to save on time when the larger crane arrives.

Sir Willow
10-12-2005, 08:21 AM
Realize to that just because you don't see the work going on doesn't mean that it's "slowed down" They have how many tunnels to dig out and prepare? You're not going to see that work on the camera. Neither are you going to be seeing the prep and construction off in the distance in the midst of the trees and other areas of the park. The lift and first drop is only one very small part of the Voyage.

BSBMX
10-12-2005, 01:39 PM
Only the triple down tunnel was really being dug out last weekend (Oct. 1). Heck, most of the footers in the back still need to be poured.

coasterdude28
10-12-2005, 03:20 PM
Sir Willow has a good point. There is alot of this coaster behind trees and out there were the cam can't see it. I doubt construction has slowed overall, just on the first drop.

TheKlockster
10-13-2005, 01:23 AM
Paul has outstanding photos of the park and its rides - including Voyage. A friend of mine who works there also showed me some pictures. It is going to be one awesome ride.

Zingoman
10-13-2005, 01:32 AM
I know construction was progressing but where are the updates? I have been following the Holiblog everyday, and there has not been a whole lot of info lately. Things like the "blah" tunnel has been dug, or the rest of the trees have been removed, or work on "blah" drop has begun, etc... That is what I meant by it seems to have slowed down. I know there is a lot that you cannot see from the webcam. I am very anxious for this ride though, and the suspense has been killing me.

coasterfreakk
10-13-2005, 04:14 PM
Well the big crane came in today and they have some what of an update http://www.holidayworld.com/holiblog/holiblog.html

coasterdude28
10-13-2005, 04:20 PM
That's a good sign. Hopefully the topping off will be within the next few weeks.

Raven Maven
10-13-2005, 09:19 PM
Sir Willow is correct.

Work has not slowed down one bit ... why in the world would we do that?

Remember, the webcam can only show so much. There's lots of other stuff going on up yonder.

Sheesh! Paula

Raven Maven
10-14-2005, 06:10 PM
Took a dusty walk around the construction site today -- the photos are on the HoliBlog.

Please we've set the "topping" of The Voyage for Monday morning at 10 am CDT.

Happy weekend! Paula

RavenTTD
10-14-2005, 06:39 PM
Thanks for that update Paula. I was just on my way here to post about it. Those pics are incredible and the ride is looking great. I really like the fact that they are trying to add extra air in the ride as they go. This should be a fantastic ride. Every time you post new pics I get a new background on my computer. Some stretch well, and some I leave small, but either way it is all good.

Johnny Upsidedown
10-16-2005, 09:59 PM
Paul over at http://www.negative-g.com has posted up another round of construction photos of The Voyage. Its getting taller every day. And looks like some off season repairs on the Raven. Take a look here http://www.negative-g.com/HolidayWorld/HW2006/Construction/10-15-2005/2005-Construction-10-15-2005-1.htm

Zingoman
10-17-2005, 12:41 AM
New rails and everything! The park is really pulling out all the stops for next season! I wish wish wish I could go. I am stuck in Oklahoma, and there is no way that I will get to go anytime soon. Some day though, I am going to get there!

RavenTTD
10-17-2005, 01:41 PM
http://negative-g.com/downhill/
There are pics of the "toping".

coasterdude28
10-17-2005, 03:02 PM
Looks great. The first hill looks really big.

nicktheride
10-17-2005, 03:21 PM
Yeah. And Paula has also just posted hers pictures from the ''topping'' on the Holiblog, today.

Nice pictures of the first drop, is all i can say... :-D

Johnny Upsidedown
10-25-2005, 07:26 PM
Some awsome looking new photos showed up. Link came from www.screamscape.com
http://childsfamily.com/HW/index.html
Theres 2 pages of photos and some nice close ups of some twisty track.

coasterdude28
10-25-2005, 08:28 PM
Nice pictures. The track is so twisted.

RavenTTD
11-02-2005, 12:17 PM
http://www.negative-g.com/HolidayWorld/HW2006/Construction/10-30-2005/2005-Construction-10-30-2005-1.htm
New pics, and check the webcam to see how high the second hill is now.

bk2004
11-02-2005, 02:39 PM
Haven't looked at construction pictures in a couple of weeks. Great progress. This thing is moving fast.

The first drop looks sWeEt!

RavenTTD
11-03-2005, 11:31 AM
Construction pics on the The Gravity Group's site:
http://www.thegravitygroup.com/voyage.html

coasterdude28
11-03-2005, 03:48 PM
Nice update. This thing is really going to be packed into the trees. It should create some nice effects flying through the forest like that.

Zingoman
11-03-2005, 04:50 PM
Wow! Those woods are beautiful! The trees are so tall! That ride just runs out to nowhere! Way way cool. I can't wait until it is finished.

RavenTTD
11-04-2005, 11:51 AM
http://www.negative-g.com/downhill/?cat=4
A couple new pics showing the second hill getting high.

RavenTTD
11-07-2005, 12:06 PM
http://www.negative-g.com/HolidayWorld/HW2006/Construction/11-5-2005/2006-Construction-11-5-2005-1.htm
New pics again. The second hill looks close to topped off.

Raven Maven
11-08-2005, 11:54 AM
^ The topping of the second hill was yesterday ... I'm planning on posting a photo or two this afternoon on our HoliBlog (http://www.holidayworld.com/holiblog/holiblog.html).

Just added a few straight-on shots of the lifthill. Makes me dizzy just to look! :)

Paula

RavenTTD
11-08-2005, 02:32 PM
I just saw the new pics...AND the new wallpaper. Needless to say, I have new Voyage wallpaper yet again. Thanks much.

Dan G
11-08-2005, 03:31 PM
This coaster looks ridiculously tall in all these photos. I guess it just looks like a mammoth because theres no other coasters behind it that are taller than it. Anyways, the coaster is looking great, it should be a really good ride when it opens next season.

Zingoman
11-08-2005, 04:11 PM
I am in love! It is so awesome seeing the second hill rising up out of the woods. I have GOT to find a way to get there next season. I LOVE HOLIDAY WORLD!

Johnny Upsidedown
11-08-2005, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the update to the photos PAULA. The ride really does tower over the back part of the park. Looks impressive.
J.

RavenTTD
11-09-2005, 11:41 AM
So now it's time to pay attention to Hill #3. And the five tunnels. And a little something extra we've recently added to the design.

It's a great new element, but not something we can discuss just yet.

The best part of it, though, is that The Gravity Group (http://thegravitygroup.com/) and Will are still scrutinizing the design and making improvements here and there.

WOW! A new treat! And they keep trying to make this thing better. The people at HW and TGG fricken rock!

Zingoman
11-09-2005, 01:54 PM
Heck yes they do! Who else has ever built a ride like this and added to it as they went? That is Disney quility right there! Look out Walt! The Koch family is here!

SheiKra
11-09-2005, 03:51 PM
Seriously! This summer is going to be the best summer of my life! Wouldn't it be great to have ALL of your woodies on the top ten list???

Zingoman
11-10-2005, 05:35 PM
If you look at the webcam, they have gone to the botom of the lift, and the beams for that crazy looking headchopper are going across the base of the lift now. I can't wait to see photos to see how close that actually is. http://holidayworld.com/web_cam.html

RllrCoasterFan
11-11-2005, 02:39 PM
This is a massive(!) project. I think it is a great idea to add a new holiday themed area. I just started checking this out so give me a break on a late post for this. Have they said what the holiday theming is going to be, I been looking but couldn't find anything. This is awesome and going to be a huge year for Holiday World!

RavenTTD
11-11-2005, 04:40 PM
http://www.holidayworld.com/new2006.html

Raven Maven
11-12-2005, 02:02 PM
May I ask where you looked and couldn't find anything?

Thanks, Paula

coasterdude28
11-12-2005, 02:22 PM
I really like that page. I never took in the complete layout. AMAZING. I enjoyed the airtime chart as well.

Martin
11-19-2005, 01:15 PM
They updated the HoliBlog yesterday:
http://www.holidayworld.com/holiblog/holiblog.htm

redunzelizer
11-19-2005, 01:35 PM
They updated the HoliBlog yesterday:
http://www.holidayworld.com/holiblog/holiblog.htm
how about providing a *valid* link? :rolleyes:

Zingoman
11-19-2005, 01:46 PM
Sounds like they are going to have a lot more frequent updates on the Holiblog. I get anxious every day that there is nothing new up there. I can't wait until they start building the turnaround and first 90 degree banked turn. The second one looks great.

Martin
11-19-2005, 02:29 PM
how about providing a *valid* link? :rolleyes:
Relax, I didn't have to notify you of the update on the Blog. I deleted the "l" in html at the end of the link. My fault, sorry if that caused servere inconvience.

coasterdude28
11-19-2005, 03:50 PM
Nice pictures. The tunnels look great.

tcornolo
11-21-2005, 01:21 PM
So I heard that they are adding an extra element to te Voyage...did anyone hear about it, if so what is it?