PDA

View Full Version : PKD's Hurler closed

JamMasterJ
04-17-2006, 10:11 PM
Does anybody have any ideas as to why PKD's Hurler has been closed all year? All the employees guarding the entrance said was "it's down for maintenance". Such as?....

RollerNut
04-17-2006, 10:13 PM
It is closed for retracking until May.

JamMasterJ
04-17-2006, 10:15 PM
Ah, thank you my dear sir, though this is most upsetting.

Zingoman
04-17-2006, 10:27 PM
New tracks are never upsetting unless you miss out for good on a one time trip. Then that sucks.

Wes
04-18-2006, 05:31 AM
*Repeat after me*

Hurler being retracked is a good thing! Hurler being retracked is a good thing! Hurler being retracked is a good thing! Hurler being retracked is a good thing!...

I rode it last October and it really needed retracking. The first turn after the drop was bruttle even in the front car.

It was running better than a few years ago, but right now PC's Hurler so owns PKD's.

PANTSFREE
04-18-2006, 09:02 AM
I still think PKD's version is superior, PC's always beat the crap out of me...

Glad to hear its getting retracked, last year it was ROUGH. PKD seriously has some issues IMO this season though. Seriously, FOF isn't going to open, Hurler is closed til May, and IJ doesn't open til May. What the heck PKD?

Canobie Coaster
04-18-2006, 11:02 AM
I've always heard that Hurler was a coaster with potential to be a great ride, but was too rough to be a great ride. Great thing that it's being retracked.

BryanWood
04-18-2006, 02:15 PM
*Repeat after me*

Hurler being retracked is a good thing! Hurler being retracked is a good thing! Hurler being retracked is a good thing! Hurler being retracked is a good thing!...

I rode it last October and it really needed retracking. The first turn after the drop was bruttle even in the front car.

It was running better than a few years ago, but right now PC's Hurler so owns PKD's.

I rode Carowinds' in 2003 right after they retracked portions of the ride and it was so much better than PKD's. Retracking for PKD's will be a big help.

Wes
04-18-2006, 02:19 PM
I've always heard that Hurler was a coaster with potential to be a great ride, but was too rough to be a great ride. Great thing that it's being retracked.

All I can say is that last August the PC one was running so fast over the first air time hill that the upstops were spinning like crazy !!!

It had mad airtime then and now. Even on a very cold opening day this year it still had air time.

About 2000-2002 it was very rough and slow (no air).

But now the front seat is getting air on every hill. I just wish it were about a minute longer. But for a little woody it's a good one.

JamMasterJ
04-18-2006, 07:24 PM
NO! Rough is good, Hurler is fine the way it is! But sure why not, retracking isn't always bad...even if I am stuck without it for another freakin' month! Grrr...

EDIT: PANTSFREE, you are too right. PKD is pulling a major SFA here. And they're not open for spring break! Grrr...again...

EDIT2: OK, sure, maybe, retracking'll help it out, but I love it the way it is anyway. And besides, it probably will be a bunch better with new track.

EDIT3: No more edits.

ShannonS
04-20-2006, 05:10 PM
From what I heard,it supposed to be retracked and it should open sometime in May or June.

Pcw
04-20-2006, 05:20 PM
Retracking isn't always good. Look what happened to Minebuster.

They'd better get it open by May though, they're already loosing out on a few coasters right now (FoF, Hurler, and technically IJTC).

I guess all of PKDs woodies are in for some retracking (Grizzly had it's turn last year).

bk2004
04-20-2006, 07:34 PM
I HATE PC's Hurler...last time I rode it two weeks ago it was SO rough...and it was towards the front. I'll try the front row next time I ride it again, but if that isn't any better I'm not going to even bother riding this ever again!!

Bratman
04-21-2006, 02:29 AM
Retracking isn't always good. Look what happened to Minebuster.

They'd better get it open by May though, they're already loosing out on a few coasters right now (FoF, Hurler, and technically IJTC).

I guess all of PKDs woodies are in for some retracking (Grizzly had it's turn last year).

That wasnt just retracked...it was reprofiled.............

JamMasterJ
04-22-2006, 01:16 PM
The other problem is if it's smoother, normal people might actually wanna ride it...NOOOOOOOOOOO! Stay away, thosee who hated it when it was rough! God forbid that the hurler might have a...a...a line. *Shudder at the thought*.

April_fool_79
04-22-2006, 01:52 PM
^ Or the occasional full train. :D

JamMasterJ
04-22-2006, 05:58 PM
Indeed, God forbid such happen! Shall I have to *gasp and shudder* leave the train from something other than my own free will?

cameroncrazie13
04-24-2006, 06:43 PM
Last time that I was at PKD, my friend and I were the only ones in the whole train! Although rough, it was a nice layout.

April_fool_79
04-24-2006, 07:42 PM
I managed to get a ride to myself on Gwazi one day. It was really creepy, riding in the front seat and not hearing any terrified screaming behind me.

Leo C
04-24-2006, 10:29 PM
I really wouldn't hold it against PKD for not having the Italian Job open yet. Then again it's an excuse for El Toro's construction @ SFGADV still being in progress. It's also a woodie though so I understand the extra length.