PDA

View Full Version : Never been on roller coaster yet, need advice =)

Tasha
04-17-2006, 11:36 PM
hi, im going to be riding roller coasters in about two weeks time for the first time (birthday party!) and yes im really scared. is there any real advice on riding? im not really scared of heights, just scared of flying out of the seat! are there like seat belts on them or do they just have the thing over your head?

hehe sorry!:heart:

April_fool_79
04-17-2006, 11:55 PM
It depends on what coaster you ride. Most of the steel coasters have over the shoulder restraints (OTSR), and a good majority of those have an additional seatbelt that connects the OSTR to the seat between your legs. Wooden coasters usually have a lap bar and seat belt combination.

As long as you are properly seated, and your restraint is secure, and you don't try to stand up, you'll be fine. 99.9999999% of ride injuries are caused by the rider doing something STUPID, rather than the ride malfunctioning.

Just out of curiosity, what park are you going to and what coaster will be your first?

Oh yeah, one more thing ... DON'T FORGET TO BREATHE!! :) Passing out from lack of oxygen as you're going down the first hill is no fun at all.

And have fun!!

Cuddy
04-17-2006, 11:58 PM
Perfectly good question.

Most coasters have a lap-bar of some sort, or even an over the shoulder restraint. As a secondary form of restraint, many coasters do have seat belts. I used to have the same fear myself, you never really know unless you ride for yourself. And it never hurts to hold on tight. I used to always "white-knuckle" rides when I was younger.

Marc
04-18-2006, 12:11 AM
There is something along the lines of 1 in 500,000,000 chance of you dying on a ride. Yes there is a somewhat higher chance of injury such as getting hit by something. Most of the time, these injuries are caused by not following the rules such as trying to grab supports and such.

As someone who has quite a bit of experience with rides and ride safety, I assure you that no American ride is permitted to operate in an unsafe condition. Some rides are in better mechanical condition than other but none are unsafe.

A good idea it to ensure than your own restraints are secured. Now, most rides have a seatbelt in addition to a harness or lapbar. Just make sure they are positioned and locked. In most cases they are either locked or not without grey area between. The lapbars are designed to fail in a safe mode. The few deaths that have occured are mostely a result of the rider and employees neglagence to properly secure the restraints. It's easy to tell if your restraint is locked or not.

Canays were used in mines for many years to detect toxic gas. They are so sensitive that they died quickly and severed as an indicator to the employees to get out of the mine. Same thing with rides, if people keep flying out, discontinue use. :)

Usually most people I know that aren't big time thrill seekers ride a short but scary ride such as a drop tower. Then the other rides don't seem so bad.

It would be helpful if you would inform us on which park you are thinking about attending.

SFGadvKing
04-18-2006, 01:39 AM
all sitdown coasters use one of two differant types of restraints. the two types of restraints are the lapbar and the over the shoulder restraint. as a general rule (you will find some exceptions) rollercoasters that go upside down use the OTSR and rollercoasters that dont use the lapbar. to add to that, (as far as i know) no wooden rollercoaster has OTSR. under those two categories, there are a few differant types of each restraint.

coasters with lapbars are either individual lapbars or they is one that is shared for the two riders per row. the shared lapbars are only found on the smaller rollercoasters. you will also find some wooden coasters that have a lapbar as well as a seatbelt.
individual lapbars: http://rcdb.com/ig1845.htm?picture=25
two person lapbars: http://www.rcdb.com/ig320.htm?picture=4

the OTSR's are NORMALLY one of two kind. the differance between the major two kinds are that one has a seatbelt that buckles between the riders legs and the other doesnt. you will find OTSR that differ from those two but generally most of them look like this:
OTSR with seatbelt: http://www.rcdb.com/ig87.htm?picture=2
OTSR without seatbelt: http://www.rcdb.com/ig96.htm?picture=7

rjholla2003
04-18-2006, 01:51 AM
The only advice I have for you to add on top of that is do not close your eyes. It's scary enough just knowing what's going to happen. When your eyes are closed, all of the motion is heightened, so you are going to get even more frightened by the sudden motion. Just keep your eyes open and see that it's not as bad as you think it's going to be.

Wes
04-18-2006, 05:24 AM
I think everything has been covered for the most part.

I would also suggest starting out small. Don't go and ride the coaster with 5 inversions or 150 ft drop or anything.

Find a small coaster, maybe like a mine train coaster and start there. See if you like it and then progress to bigger coasters.

Your fears are normal, but coasters are actually very safe. Most have very sensative safety systems on them and will shut down if the sense anything out of the ordinary.

I've ridden 116 coasters and countless re-rides and never ever had a major problem. The one and only "injury" I ever had was because I didn't listen to the que speal. :rolleyes:

And speaking as one of the staff members...Welcome to TN! I hope you stick around! We have a lot more to discuss than just coasters.

pretzel-loop
04-18-2006, 08:23 AM
I second Wes's suggestion. I started with Wild One at Six Flags America, worked my way through Roar, Superman, JJ, Mind Eraser then Batwing. Start our small. Most amusement parks have a small junior coaster you can ride to help alleviate your fear of coasters.

If you can let us know what park your going to, I bet you'll get alot of suggestions as to which one will be your first.

vampiredabest
04-18-2006, 08:42 AM
It's no secret that some coasters are very dangerous but you just gotta live with it. If you feel any danger during the ride just take off your belt and get out.

Worm
04-18-2006, 08:59 AM
^You were sarcastic right?

PANTSFREE
04-18-2006, 09:00 AM
It's no secret that some coasters are very dangerous but you just gotta live with it. If you feel any danger during the ride just take off your belt and get out.
Uhhh.... what?

April_fool_79
04-18-2006, 11:19 AM
Tasha, don't listen to vampiredabest. He's apparently an idiot. Hey vampire, thanks for the wonderful help with this poor girl. Nice to know we still have kind, considerate people out there. ::evil glare::

Think about it this way, Tasha. Most coasters don't go faster than 70 mph. You do that on the interstate in your car. More people die in car wrecks than they do riding coasters. Does this mean you're going to stop riding in cars? No? I didn't think so. :D

You'll either love the first one you go on, or hate it and never want to get on another one. I've seen both happen. But you'll still have fun.

giggity424
04-18-2006, 11:31 AM
I say, don't start off with a mine train, but start off with a loop so you can at least get a taste of being upside down. I started with Sooper Dooper Looper at Hersheypark.

Bowserjoe
04-18-2006, 12:55 PM
If I know what park it is, then I can tell you the specific order to work your way up. My advice is start with the smallest steel coaster there is. Unless it's something insane like a compact Shwarzkopf looper. My friend has a girlfriend who lives in Europe, and when she was visitng, the first coaster he took her on was Superman Ride of Steel at SFNE. That not only has a 220' drop and goes almost 80 mph, but it one of the longest and most intense coasters on the planet. Now every ride she goes on she just closes her eyes the whole time. Not good. I also have a friend who use to go to my school whos' afraid of every ride in the world and won't ride anything because that was also his first coaster ever. So start out small, just not a woodie because they have a much more insecure and unsafe feeling about them. Either way, whatever you ride first, you'll probably know right away whether you love it or hate it. And remember, being scared ****less your first ride does NOT mean you are not a coaster lover deep inside. When I was around 9, or 10 years old I chickened out on almost everything. Now I am obsessed with coasters and will ride anything out there.

Worm
04-18-2006, 01:04 PM
^ same with me! I rode my first "loopy" coaster whe i was almost 13! (SLC)

SFGadvKing
04-18-2006, 01:58 PM
i say the first coaster she should go on is a B&M (not standup or hyper). one of me closest friends was scared ****less of coasters but went on s:ros at sfdl which made him scared even more. we then went to ioa and hulk changed him. i think the combination of their comfortable seats, smooth rides, bulky OTSR, and forceless layouts (maybe not b:tr) can really get someone liking coasters. now, if only we can get which park she is going to....

rjholla2003
04-18-2006, 02:03 PM
You can take the safe rout like they did, or do what I did when I was still scared: Go in "big". My first coaster ever was Comet @ Hershey Park. It's not big, but for a first ever it was pretty crazy. Then for my first steel coaster ever I did the Robin side of The Chiller @ Great Adventure. Not only was that my first steel coaster, but it was my first coaster with inversions, first launched coaster, and first shuttle coaster. I chickened out of Batman The Ride later that day, but worked up the nerve to do three laps on Medusa to close out the day.

Wes
04-18-2006, 02:23 PM
^ same with me! I rode my first "loopy" coaster whe i was almost 13! (SLC)

So that's what is wrong with you! Your first steel coaster was a SLC!!! ;) j/k

Silly South Africans, Vekomas are for kids.

Bowserjoe
04-18-2006, 02:31 PM
You can take the safe rout like they did, or do what I did when I was still scared: Go in "big". My first coaster ever was Comet @ Hershey Park. It's not big, but for a first ever it was pretty crazy. Then for my first steel coaster ever I did the Robin side of The Chiller @ Great Adventure. Not only was that my first steel coaster, but it was my first coaster with inversions, first launched coaster, and first shuttle coaster. I chickened out of Batman The Ride later that day, but worked up the nerve to do three laps on Medusa to close out the day.

I started out just as big. I rode Flyer Comet (RIP) at Whalom Park when I was only about 5 or 6. There was no height restriction. At that age, to me, that first drop of 70' at a 40 degree angle felt like Nitro's drop!

Jimmy B
04-18-2006, 02:41 PM
If you do what works for me, don't jump right in to riding roller coasters yet, but first get all the info you can about stats, feedback, reviews. They don't actually mean much, but you can get a nice general feel for what is out there. Do some research online, read what is avilable to you. Participate in message boards and communicate with other enthusiasts as much as you can. Then when you -- and only you -- feel you are ready to ride after you get the idea, start out small like a mine train or something with a low intensity to get you started. Then work your way gradually up to the bigger, more intense rides. This method will reduce your nervousness and help you have a better time. That is how I became an enthusiast, and it worked for me. I'm not necessariliy saying this is how you should do it, but I'm just pointing out my method.

Wes
04-18-2006, 03:07 PM
Oh that reminds me. Check out www.rcdb.com

It's a great source to search for coasters and you can also see what parks are close to you.

Tanks4me05
04-18-2006, 03:24 PM
Well, I have ridden 53 coasters so far, riding about 10 or 20 new coasters every year. (That trend has started in 2003 or 2004) The actual stats of dying on a coaster is actually 1 in 798,000,000. Not 1 in 500,000,000. (I'm not kidding) Roller coasters are very safe, unless as constantly aforementioned, you don't secure yourself properly. Anyways, all you need to worry about is just to secure youeself properly. Tasha, why don't you tell us what amusement park you are going to, so I or someone else may be able to give you more specific info on what to do.

VekomahangNbang
04-18-2006, 03:37 PM

I'll have to agree with you there vampire.

giggity424
04-18-2006, 05:38 PM
i say the first coaster she should go on is a B&M (not standup or hyper). one of me closest friends was scared ****less of coasters but went on s:ros at sfdl which made him scared even more. we then went to ioa and hulk changed him. i think the combination of their comfortable seats, smooth rides, bulky OTSR, and forceless layouts (maybe not b:tr) can really get someone liking coasters. now, if only we can get which park she is going to....

I'm gonna have to agree, the seats are nice and snug, great for beginners.

Jerry S
04-18-2006, 05:51 PM
Well, I guess I started coaster riding pretty young. It was at Busch Gardens Europe, on Big Bad Wolf. I didn't know what was going to happen, I just got strapped in and went, and I loved it.

siestakey
04-18-2006, 06:07 PM
Has Tasha been back on since the post?
What coaster is it?

Jerry S
04-18-2006, 06:17 PM
Yea, best to know what park you're going to. And also, all those things about chances of getting hurt on a roller coaster, people stop saying them. People aren't worried about those things, even if the chance is 1/200000000000000000000000 it doesn't matter. Peopel want advice, noit statistics. Statistics are what scare people out of flying on airplanes or swimming at the beach. It doesn't matter, you won't get hurt on a roller coaster. Just pick any roller coaster that looks appealing to you, and listen to some music while waiting in line, don't pay attention to the ride itself. You'll have fun, as long as you go on your own will.

giggity424
04-18-2006, 06:46 PM
Uh......I don't think she actually wanted an answer.......she didn't come back yet.

coastrfreak2000
04-18-2006, 07:48 PM
My friend's first coaster was a Vekoma SLC....BAD IDEA!Whatever you do...do NOT go on a Vekoma as your first coaster. My advice is to start with something decent sized and something that is smooth. The knocking around and roughness on some coasters can be a bit much for beginners.

Tasha
04-18-2006, 08:16 PM
thank you everyone for the advice, i now feel bit better =)

we are going to Paramounts Canada's Wonderland (which i've never actually never been to!) has anyone been there? i noticed some are you from the states

i got a few more silly questions if anybody doesnt mind:
are there weight requirements for roller coasters? cause im pretty skinny but tall(im gonna slip throught the restraints!)
do the otsr (restraints is what they are right) come down automatically? or do i pull them down? (and how tight are they!)
and is it better not to eat anything before going on any roller coaster? (im gonna be the first girl to throw up on a ride!)

hehe sorry again for being so scared :p

Ryan F
04-18-2006, 08:22 PM
Since you're going to PCW, I sugeest starting out with Wild Beast or Dragon Fire. Both are extremely easy rides and a good start to the rest of the day. Stay away from Top Gun unless you feel really brave (or ride it last in the day).

The restraints on all the coasters are pulled down by you and checked by the attendants. If you dont pull it down, they will for you.
There are no weight restrictions on the rides, so don't worry about that. You also dont have to worry about slipping through restraints, you'd have to be a stick to do that. The restraints on most coasters can also get pretty tight, so you'll feel safe. All the wooden coasters have seatbelts and lapbars.

Eating before rides all depends on you. Do you usually get motion sickness?

I also suggest you try a funnel cake with ice cream and strawberries...well worth the price.

(PS- I used to work there, so feel free to ask anything about the rides)

VekomahangNbang
04-18-2006, 08:41 PM
Umm...there is no weight requirment (but you can't be super fat), you pull down the restraints and then they press a button to lock them, and eating has never been a problem for me.

And don't ride an Arrow (unless it's a supended) or Vekoma first because then you'll never like coasters.

Ryan F
04-18-2006, 08:52 PM
Dragon Fire isn't bad at all, it's a great coaster for starters.
It all depends whether or not she wants to go upside down or not.

Tasha, if you're scared about going upside down, then go on a wooden coaster first (the parks 3 wooden coasters are all great starters). If you want to feel a little brave, go for Dragon Fire first.

April_fool_79
04-18-2006, 09:09 PM
You can make the restraint as tight as you want it. I suggest snug, but not so tight you cut off circulation to your lower extremities. Of course, if you're as skinny as I am (5'7" and 110 lbs, I can still wear girls size 16 and I'm 27 years old), you don't have to worry about getting it too tight, your hip bones will stick out and hit the restraint first. :) I'd stay away from the woodies or anything that just has a lap bar (and seat belt, of course), because most of the lap bars I've seen don't come ANYWHERE near my thighs. The seat belt holds me in fine, but for a newbie, it could be kinda scary not having the lap bar all the way down. They're more for you to on to than for actual restraint, anyway. With OTSRs, you don't have to worry about sipping out, unless you're about 6 inches wide, or you purposely stick your arms through the opening over your chest, and wiggle out.

Just to be on the safe side, I wouldn't eat right before going on the ride. I'd probably wait at least a half hour to an hour if you're not sure how your stomach will handle it. Better safe than sorry. And don't worry, even if you *DO* throw up, I *PROMISE* you won't be the first, nor the last, to do so. Just try to turn your head to the side, it's not a pleasant thing to have come flying back down on you. ;)

coastrfreak2000
04-18-2006, 09:20 PM
I think a good starter for a person who has never been on a rollercoaster would be The Fly, its simple, smooth, and has a nice drop.I think the woodies at Wonderland are a bit too rough to start off with.

Dont worry about throwing up, I've seen a lot of people do so there, you certainly wouldnt be the first one.Many would say Dragon Fire is a good starter, unfortunately for us, we have been on bigger coasters, and things like Dragon fire seem small, but for first timer may seem like a giant.

Tanks4me05
04-18-2006, 09:37 PM
There are no weight requirements that I know of in Canada, although unusual height or weight may make the restraints too tight fit, however, you should just ask the people working the ride for that. OTSR's (over the shoulder restraints) don't usually come down automatically, so you have to pull them down yourself. For how tight they should be, pull them down until you are comfortable, where you feel rather secure, (it may be to the point of the restraint coming in contact with your shoulders if it's an OTSR, or your lap if it's a lap bar) But don't pull it too far or you will be in extreme discomfort, possibly in pain. The practice of the restraints going in too far is generally called "stapling" on these forums. I suggest you don't eat anything before riding, just to be safe. But after you have ridden coasters for a while, and see how upset you stomach may be, THEN you may be able to try eating before hand.

Now, for advice on the roller coasters at Paramount Canada's Wonderland:

Taxi Jam is the smallest roller coaster at the park, at I'm guessing 10 to 20 feet tall. (It is a kiddie coaster) Try that first, if they allow people over a certain height alone, but if not, try to get a person in your family to ride with you that is under that maximum height requirement.

Scooby Doo's Gasping Ghoster Coaster is characterized as a family coaster, at only 41 feet tall, with a 39 foot drop, reaching speeds of 35 miles per hour. It is not very long, and it is wooden, and it doesn't go upside down.

Fly is also a family coaster but with a slightly higher intensity than Scooby Doo's Gasping Ghoster Coaster. It is 51 feet, 10 inches tall with a 49 foot, 10 inch drop. Although it goes just as fast as Scooby Doo's Gasping Ghoster coaster (35 miles per hour) it is called a Wild Mouse Coaster, because of it's very sharp turns during the ride, like a mouse turning on a dime. Since these turns are very tight, you will experience very high lateral forces, meaning you will be flung to the sides, almost feeling like you will fly of the track on those turns, but the idea has been used for decades, and it is very safe, like everything else. You should ride that next.

Silver Streak is 48 feet, 7 inches tall, and goes 26 miles per hour. Although it does not go upside down, (still a family coaster) the cars hang below the track and your feet dangle, there is no floor. But there is a floor in the station so you can actually get into the roller coaster car. This ride is made by Vekoma, so I suggest you hold on to the retraints, which lessens the pain somewhat. (Not all Vekomas are painful, but be on your toes just in case) The rides are painful because of how the restraints were constructed, not anything else I believe. You should go on this after Fly.

Thunder Run is 33 feet tall and goes 40 miles per hour. But since it is powered, (an electric rail keeps the car running throughout the entire track) the ride is not technically a roller coaster, but the General Public will most likely mistaken it for one. You should go on this after Silver Streak.

Italian Job: Stunt Track is the newest roller coaster at the park. It is 45 feet, 2 inches tall with a 31 foot, 2 inch drop. It goes to speeds of 40 miles per hour, but it is not like most other coasters in Canada because it doesn't use a lift to gain speed, it uses these magnets to propel the coaster car to it's top speed. (It boosts, kind of like a jet taking off an aircraft carrier, but much less intense) This should be your roller coaster after Thunder Run.

Wild Beast is 82 feet tall with a highest drop of 78 feet. This roller coaster is wooden, and does not go upside down, but it goes to speeds of 56 miles per hour. I heard somewhere that this ride may be painful, so hold on, but I'm not entirely sure. You should ride this next.

Mighty Canadian Minebuster is 90 feet tall with an 87 foot drop, although it goes 55.9 miles per hour. You will probably be experiencing airtime, when you are lifted off your seat, but your lap bar safely keeps you in. Airtime is generally praised by roller coaster lovers, but if you find the airtime too intense, hold on. But if you want as much airtime as possible, keep your hands up, but I heard this one may also be rough, so I suggest hold on for your first ride just in case.

Vortex is 91 feet tall, with an 85 foot drop and goes 55 miles per hour. Although this ride has the cars under the track, there is a floor. Although this does not go upside down, it does freely swing on the turns, and this one swings more than other coasters of it's type (these coasters are called Arrow Suspended Coasters) Since it swings more than others of it's type, it is considered one of the best of it's type, despite it's roughness. I believe it swings to nearly horizontal on some turns. You should ride this after Mighty Canadian Minebuster.

Dragon Fire is 78 feet tall with a 76 foot drop. Now this roller coaster goes upside down four times. This roller coaster was made by Arrow, so hold on, as most Arrow rides are quite painful because of the restraints. It goes to speeds of 50 miles per hour.

Bat is 116 feet, 6 inches tall, and you go to speeds of 47 miles per hour. You go upside down 3 times, but you go both forwards AND backwards, so technically you go upside down 6 times. But backwards doesn't feel much different than forwards. I have ridden one of the 44 other rides that are exactly like it, and it is not that bad. But it is made by Vekoma, and these usually hurt, so hold on to the restraints.

Top Gun is 109 feet, 3 inches tall and goes 49.7 miles per hour, and it goes upside down 5 times. But like Silver Streak, there is no floor. This is a Vekoma SLC, and they usually are quite painful, so you should hold on. (It may be very painful, so beware)

Tomb Raider: The Ride is only 50 feet tall, goes 25.7 miles per hour, and goes upside down only 2 times, but it is a Flying Coaster, where you traverse the track in a prone position, as if you were flying like Superman. However, these are known to be very rough, so hold on, and once you get inside the coaster car, you will know why these coasters are occasionaly nicknamed "George Forman Grill Rides". A way to characterise these rough Flying coasters (made by Zamperla)
is that they have a spiral lift. It is the only Flying Coaster to have a lift. You should ride this after Top Gun.

Sky Rider is 88 feet tall with an 84 foot drop, goes 51 miles per hour, and goes upside down only once, but it is Canada's only Stand Up Coaster, That is right, you stand up instead of sit down. But BEWARE: This roller coaster was designed by Togo, and most of their rides are EXTREMELY rough, so hold on tight.

General info:

For the rough coasters, Wild Beast, Mighty Canadian Minebuster, Dragon Fire, Bat, Top Gun and Sky Rider, sit as far front as possible. The only extra "thrill" for sitting in the front seat is just a better view. The farther front you sit on a coaster, the less rough it is, remember that. I suggest this order if you don't mind going back and forth throughout the park, but if you want to ride them as whatever ride you see first, you can do it that way, but might be intimidated if you ride something like Sky Rider first.

Click on the link below to get pictures of the roller coasters at Paramount Canada's Wonderland.

http://rcdb.com/qs.htm?quicksearch=Paramount+Canada%27s+Wonderland

coastrfreak2000
04-18-2006, 09:41 PM
^According to your park/ride count yo have never been to a Paramount Park, let alone Wonderland, I think alot of that advice is false.

Bowserjoe
04-18-2006, 09:50 PM
^Maybe you could specify what! One thing I disagree with is the wild mouse thing. I have many friends who (used to) love coasters, but as soon as they rode a wild mouse that was it, because they thought they were gonna go off the track. Oh and guys, I don't think she knows what you mean when you say "Don't go on Aroows or Vekomas" because she's never even been on coasters.

According to the rides, here is my order of suggestion:

Taxi Jam
Thunder Run
Silver Streak
Scooby's
Italian Job
Minebuster
Fly
Wild Beast
Vortex
Dragon Fire
Bat
Tomb Raider
Top Gun

Most of the coasters at that park are relatively tame looking, so you should be all set.

Pcw
04-18-2006, 09:58 PM
Yeah Tanks, how would you know all of that if you haven't been? Have you been reading too much comments on the coasters?

My best advice would be to pay attention when you ride any of the coasters. If you don't, you'll be more likely to bash something on the ride.

(If you want some advice specifically for PCWs attractions, I suggest you go here: http://www.thrillvelocity.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12. It's a forum based all on PCW. There's bound to be someone to answer your questions on the park!)

coastrfreak2000
04-18-2006, 10:02 PM
Well I certainly think the fact that Tanks4me05 put Thunder Run after the Fly on that list is a little odd. Thunder Run happens to be one of the most boring rides in the park. I also dont think it is even necesary to go on Taxi Jam, thats just ridiculous. Tanks4me05 also said that most of togo's rides are EXTREMELY rough, but Skyrider is not all that bad..

Ryan F
04-18-2006, 10:13 PM
I also say to disregard the post made my Tanks4me05.
His info is flawed and generally not true, I suggest listening to the people that have actually visited the park. Tanks just re-wrote what he found on rcdb.com and added personal biases.
Skyrider is not that rough (it worse being a guy on that coaster) and should be ridden before Top Gun.
Minebuster has been re-tracked and re-done so many times over the past years, it's not that great anymore and has barely any airtime. This ride also gives me headaches every time I ride.

You should also try out some of the flat rides. Shockwave, Psyclone, and Cliffhanger are all great rides.

SFGadvKing
04-19-2006, 12:38 AM
in all honesty, i think your first coaster should be either Italian Job or Vortex. many people's biggest fear is the slow incline going up the lift hill. if you ride Italian Job, you skip that part and go right into the ride because its a launch coaster. Vortex is a suspended coaster and from what i hear are quite smooth and because the cars can freely swing, offers more of a gliding and less out of control ride plus the OTSR make you feel safe. i would NOT ride Fly first, it may not be on the top of the thrill list, but it IS on the top of the scary list for many people. i also would not ride a wooden coaster first being that they LOOK less safe than steel rides which could make them LOOK more scary.

Worm
04-19-2006, 01:10 AM
Nobody has told her the awesome flatrides PCW has!

Ryan F
04-19-2006, 01:17 AM
Read two posts above yours.

coastrfreak2000
04-19-2006, 07:04 AM
Wow...what was I thinking to suggest The Fly as a first rollercoaster?

Tanks4me05
04-19-2006, 07:53 AM
I was only basing this info on what I heard, yes I have never been to a Paramount Park, but I'm hoping to soon. I apologize for giving any false info, I have learned from my mistake.

Bowserjoe
04-19-2006, 10:55 AM
Seeing that all of PCW's coasters are pretty easy to go on, it sohuldn't make that big of a difference which one she does first. The reason I put the fly near the end though is because mouse coasters scare a lot of people.

Andrew W
04-19-2006, 11:43 AM
All you need to do is remember that every coaster has a completly different personality. The tamest looking coasters can be pretty wild and the wildest looking coasters can sometimes be relatively tame. In all honestly, I'd suggest Italian Job. The scariest part is the anticipation for the launch, but once the train gets moving, it's all fun after that. No inversions, relatively mild speed, and great themeing all add up to a mild, but really fun ride. If you start with any of the junior coasters, you'll get a false impression of coasters in general. I honestly say go with Itallian Job... it's a right middle of the road coaster... not too wild, not too tame, but still very smooth and enjoyable. If you like that, try Vortex or Dragon Fire next. The Fly is a lot of fun, but you have to ride it knowing that it's completly safe and just DESIGNED to make it feel like the car is going to tip off the track. If you can enjoy those four rides, then sample around... ride what looks fun, that's what it's all about anyways... just having fun!

coasterdude28
04-19-2006, 03:08 PM
The only other thing that I can add is that you should not let one ride ruin it for you. If you happen to ride a coaster that you didn't like, don't think that you won't like all coasters. Every coaster is different. Riding a rough one first might give you a bad impression, but don't let that stop you. I am sure you will like coasters though. Good luck and have a good time.

April_fool_79
04-19-2006, 04:43 PM
And make sure you come back here and tell us what you rode and what you thought of it!! :)

Pcw
04-19-2006, 05:36 PM
Seeing that all of PCW's coasters are pretty easy to go on, it sohuldn't make that big of a difference which one she does first.

Hey, just because we don't have those record smashing coasters (but we do have coasters that will smash you...:rolleyes: ) doesn't mean that they're all tame.

But yeah, I think the suggestion for Italian Job is a very nice suggestion. Sorry if I didn't catch it but when are you going to the park? I'm not sure how the crowds will be this year.

DeKalb
04-19-2006, 10:39 PM
Start counting from the very beginning, and remember first time b/c I barely remember mine.

James R
04-19-2006, 10:54 PM
My only three tips are:
a) close your mouth if you see bugs.
b) hold on to the restraint if it makes you feel safe, if not then
c) don't hold on, and trust the restraint! You'll feel so much more free. :)

Enjoy your first ride!

Milkchan
04-19-2006, 11:33 PM
You might want to build your self up. I suggest the Carolinea Goldrush a simple coaster not scary, then Ricochet the thing about this ride will introduce you to alot of airtime, then go to the Hurler, Caroline Cyclone, then what ever you want to go on now. This list is what you will find on the other big coasters.

April_fool_79
04-20-2006, 12:23 AM
^ :confused: :confused: :confused:

Yet *ANOTHER* example of someone so eager to offer an answer that they don't read the entire thread and end up looking like a moron. ::sigh::

They're going to Canada's Wonderland, not Carowinds. Since none of those rides you mentioned even EXIST at CW, youre post is pointless.

Tasha
04-20-2006, 12:25 AM
omg thanks for the good advice!
my friends say were just gonna be going on any that has the shortest line first so i guess i'll take my chances =(
were gonna be there the whole day and dont wanna be the only one not going on the coasters (but im still scared!)
im gonna be holding on to the restraints with all my power.
may 6th is when were all going, i think a day before it opens to the public (dunno friends mom got the tickets)
i think it'll be crowded still
are the lines long?

i got more silly questions if anyone isnt annoyed of me yet =)
ewww do bugs really go in your mouth?
how do i work the restraints? (like making it tigher and what not)
is there anyway else i can prepare? (like in the show arthur! where d.w spisn around!)
whats the craziest ride there? everyones telling me something different (i might wanna avoid it til im good!)

April_fool_79:
i'll come back, unless i dont make it! :flip:

April_fool_79
04-20-2006, 12:44 AM
All you have to do is sit down, reach up, and pull down on the restraint. I usually squish my self back as far as possible in the seat, and try to get it to lock an extra notch, if I can. If you do end up with it too tight, grab an employee, they can unlock the restraints and you can re-do it so it's not so tight. They go in notches, like a belt, so you might get a OTSR that's a smidge too loose, but you just can't get it into that next notch, and that's fine. You won't have more than an inch or so to be able to move the restraint, and I promise you, it'll still be fine. :) And if you're on a woodie with a seat belt, you don't have to worry about that at all, cause it latches to whatever size you are, like the belt in your car.

You'll make it, don't worry. I've worked in theme parks for 9 years, and never seen a serious injury. The overwheming majority of the injuries I've seen have been caused by people getting in and out of the coaster (you know, the klutzes that trip and fall, or their friends start messing around and they fall or bang their head on a restraint), and the only one I've seen caused by the actual motion of the ride itself was a girl getting a long, dangly earring pulled out. So don't wear dangly earrings, lol.

I've never actually been to Canada's Wonderland, so I can't tell you anything specific about the rides there. I'll leave that to the many people on this board that have actually been there (and some of them even work there ;) )

Worm
04-20-2006, 12:50 AM
I think you should ride Sledgehammer last. That thing looks intense!:flip:

Ryan F
04-20-2006, 12:51 AM
Sledgehammer is really nothing special, last time i rode it was 2 seasons ago, so they could've changed programs.

CP Maverick
04-20-2006, 02:00 AM
Off topic: Anyone notice how and innocent girl can post and get a 4 page reply of a bunch of guys hoping she remembers their post... and a "n00b" guy posts and gets told to use the search feature? I think it's pretty funny.

splashy
04-20-2006, 02:56 AM
This will be the 7th season I've worked at wonderland. Although I'm a lifeguard in the waterpark, too bad it won't be open for another month. Anyways, for the restrainst, you don't even have to worry about putting them on, except for the seat belts, but those are checked also, the attendants will adjust them for you. If you have any questions just ask any of the employees at the ride. Dragon fire would be the best one that goes upside down to go on first and the lines for it aren't usually big. It is also close to the entrance and first aid center if you need something for your stomach after. Also go on the coasters in the kids area. they are fun and aren't intense. Taxi jam you'd only be able to go on if you have a kid with you but ghoster coaster and silver streak are good without a kid. my favorite coaster is wild beast and flat ride is psychlone.
Hope you have fun and maybe I'll see you there if I'm working.

vampiredabest
04-20-2006, 03:02 AM
^You were sarcastic right?

No I certainly wasn't. For instance wooden coasters are dangerous. There is no denying that. They get stuck plenty of times, lap bars are generally loose and if a lunatic were riding in one, they would have the option to jump out. However only a couple people were week fall off so you have a 99 % chance of surviving. Other then wooden coasters the others are pretty safe. However, flat rides are indeed for risk takers. I see hundreds of people injured from it every year. Also inverted coasters generally injure people's necks so you should keep an eye on that during the flips. Again, if you're scared because you dont feel safe just take off your restraint and try it another time.

Worm
04-20-2006, 09:29 AM
Remember Sledgehammer can be extremely scary who's never even een to a theme park yet!

April_fool_79
04-20-2006, 10:53 AM
OK vampire, it's time to put up or shut up. I want to see articles and facts to back up your claims about woodies and flat rides. And I *DON'T* want to see stuff about people being injured at traveling carnivals. We all know those things aren't inspected or operated properly, and don't have to report to any state safety agency. I ran a 1963 woodie that was completely controlled by manual brakes, we didn't have the benefit of a single computer on that ride, and we didn't have any injuries due to the ride itself. We had a few bloody noses from people who didn't sit up straight and bumped their faces on the seat in front of them, but that was about it.

And BTW Mav ... Not *ALL* of us replying have been guys. ;)

magnumxl2005
04-20-2006, 12:22 PM
No I certainly wasn't. For instance wooden coasters are dangerous. There is no denying that. They get stuck plenty of times, lap bars are generally loose and if a lunatic were riding in one, they would have the option to jump out. However only a couple people were week fall off so you have a 99 % chance of surviving. Other then wooden coasters the others are pretty safe. However, flat rides are indeed for risk takers. I see hundreds of people injured from it every year. Also inverted coasters generally injure people's necks so you should keep an eye on that during the flips. Again, if you're scared because you dont feel safe just take off your restraint and try it another time.

I certainly hope she doesn't have the chance to take off her restraint, once they are locked and the train leaves the station theres no turning back unless a ride op notices something wrong. Also actualy I haven't seen any wooden coaster accidents in a while, generaly most of the roller coaster accidents that happen these days are steel coasters due to rider error. I have seen many lunatics on woodies and have yet to see one even try to jump out. ;)

Erik Leppen
04-20-2006, 01:03 PM
I'm not so sure that steel coasters are a better thing to start with than woodies. I started with a bobsled coaster, than a woodie, than a looper. The bob coaster was about 35 mph, the woodie was also about 35 mph and 50 feet, the first looper was a Vekoma double-loop-corkscrew type of coaster.

Anyhow, don't start with a junior coaster. I rode a junior coaster a long time ago. I liked it but didn't dare to try the bigger coasters in the same park. If you really want to experience a roller coaster once, just do it and don't think :P

Worm
04-20-2006, 01:40 PM
^sounds kinda suicidal...

*off topic* hey erik, when are you bringing out another cool video?

vampiredabest
04-20-2006, 01:58 PM
OK vampire, it's time to put up or shut up. I want to see articles and facts to back up your claims about woodies and flat rides. And I *DON'T* want to see stuff about people being injured at traveling carnivals. We all know those things aren't inspected or operated properly, and don't have to report to any state safety agency. I ran a 1963 woodie that was completely controlled by manual brakes, we didn't have the benefit of a single computer on that ride, and we didn't have any injuries due to the ride itself. We had a few bloody noses from people who didn't sit up straight and bumped their faces on the seat in front of them, but that was about it.

Again I make some very good claims that I will now back up. Wooden coasters are indeed dangerous and many a accidents have been reported, even this year. I remember a lady fell from a 80-90 feet woodie this year but I forget the name. The report was saying people on the ride noticed her standing up before she fell. Also I'm positive there have been a lot more injuries/deaths that go unreported because the parks dont intend to ruin their reputation.

Tanks4me05
04-20-2006, 02:21 PM
^ Ummm, the only accidents on wooden coasters this year: 1. That happened to a teenage boy on Tirple Hurricane, which is only about 40 feet tall, and he was dared to stand up during the ride, somehow the forces of one of the turns flung him out of the seat, but that ws due to rider error, unfastening his seatbelt, enabling him to twist himself into such a position that the turn was able to throw him off. If he had not unfastened his seatbelt, he would have easily stayed in, as from what I heard, Triple Hurricane isn't that forceful. The only accident involving a woman falling of a 80 - 90 foot wooden coaster standing up before falling that I know of was on Raven at Holiday world during the Stark Raven Mad event in 2002, while her father sued the park 3 years later, in 2005. Unless somehow, TN hasn't reported this alleged wooden coaster accident you speak of. IMO, seeing as TN reported news for some very obscure and little known parks, I doubt it. It seems like you are blowing it out of proportion. Where did you hear about that wooden coaster accident anyway?

Erik Leppen
04-20-2006, 02:43 PM
Then still...I mean...two accidents...in one year...in all those woodies all over the world. That's hundreds of woodies, only two of them (might have) failed, and that was the riders fault. Can you, vampire, mention anything that has less accidents?

If you follow the rules and use common sense by staying seated while on ride and not try to unfasten anything, the probability of you falling out is less than the probability of your stove exploding today.

Emann
04-20-2006, 03:35 PM
Vampire, how can a death go unreported? I think first you should start out with a small coaster in the 100ft range that includes one or two inversions(loops). Getting the feeling of what its like going upsidedown can make or break your love for riding rollercoasters. Most of them do have some type of fail-safe seat belts. Restraint systems that have proved reliable usually dont have seat belts such as a B&M hyper. All I can tell you what to do while riding one is to keep your hands up for the best possible experience. Although you may be scared, you must remember that rollercoasters are built to scare us, safely.

April_fool_79
04-20-2006, 03:39 PM
Vampire, apparently I wasn't clear when I replied earlier. I said I wanted to see ARTICLES AND FACTS. Not "well, this happened, but I don't know where or when". Written proof that SOMEONE BESIDES YOU reported on.

http://www.rideaccidents.com has reports of injuries on rides all over the world. As you can see by reading through the reports, the OVERWHELMING MAJORITY are due to RIDER ERROR. Of course, there are also underlying medical problems that end up being the cause of some deaths (like the ones on Mission: Space at EPCOT).

The same website has a great article on ride safety, http://www.rideaccidents.com/safety.html. The last paragraph basically sums up the safety of rides:

Again, riding an amusement ride is one of the safest recreational activities. This is a fact. The number of people who are injured from drinking glasses is seventeen times that of the number of people injured on amusement rides. Some of the other more "dangerous" activities are: mowing a lawn, riding a skateboard, riding a bike, and playing billiards. All of these activities are statistically more dangerous than riding an amusement ride. Furthermore, because of the fact that rider misbehavior is the leading cause of accidents, the probability of an accident drops dramatically when a rider is safety-conscious. The more aware a rider is of safety, the less accidents there are, and the less accidents there are, the happier everyone is.

As far as unreported deaths / injuries, the major theme parks ALL REPORT INJURIES AND DEATHS. Of course, carnivals don't really care, which is why I stay away from them.

Again, vampire, either back your claims up with DOCUMENTED FACTS, or stop posting stuff that might end up scaring this poor girl.

willski2002
04-20-2006, 04:25 PM
Again I make some very good claims that I will now back up. Wooden coasters are indeed dangerous and many a accidents have been reported, even this year. I remember a lady fell from a 80-90 feet woodie this year but I forget the name. The report was saying people on the ride noticed her standing up before she fell. Also I'm positive there have been a lot more injuries/deaths that go unreported because the parks dont intend to ruin their reputation.

If those are "good claims and evidence", I'd advise you to stop posting. Ever.

First off, anything that moves quickly and has a wide range of forces is dangerous if you decide to impede its progress or decide to make the restraints useless. Inverted coaster are not going to hurt your neck in "the flips", as they are properly designed. Just don't do anything you're not supposed to do, and you won't have a problem (which is what everyone has said already). If you follow the rules, roller coasters are less dangerous than:

Crossing the street
Playing golf
Eating peanut butter
etc.

Omgz liek t3h coasterz are t3h unsafes!!111!!! You sound like a member of the GP.

Hector
04-20-2006, 04:27 PM

Wow, the amount of stupidy in this post is simply amazing!

Rides are safe for the most part if you follow the rules. Your restraints don't have to be super tight, but they should be actually restraining you into the ride. Other then that, have fun.

Steven
04-20-2006, 04:27 PM
That is not backing them up.... that's just spitting out even more garbage that doens't make sense. My advice, vampiredabeast, is to shut your trap before you dig yourself a deeper hole than the one you're already in.

Having worked on two wooden coasters and four steel coasters, I will say that they are about as equally safe as they come. Plus, most parks do have to keep record of what happened if there was an incident (with injuries, which is few and far between, or not, which is a lot more common). I have witnessed cases where there have been breakdowns with people on board (no injuries) and they have to record literally everyone who was on the ride, as well as where operators were when the ride broke down. Any injuries (aside from guest illness) I have witnessed were due to rider error (which I call rider stupidity). This talk of people falling down (the most famous one being the incident on Raven a couple of years ago) were almost always the fault of the rider him/her self, who defeated the restraint system to try to improve their ride. In the end, it'd get them hurt or killed. In reality, mechanical failures causing injury are very rare, because all parks do have to do a lot of preventative maintenance per the ride manufacturers.

Simply put... follow the rules, make sure you're properly restrained as directed, and you will have a very safe ride.

Lastly... and think about this... if there were so many accidents... how come there aren't that many lawsuits related to ride injuries? If there were as many as vampiredabeast claims, many parks wouldn't be operating.

coasterdude28
04-20-2006, 04:33 PM
Tasha, don't listen to anything vampiredabest says. Roller coasters are safe.

Tasha
04-20-2006, 11:10 PM
ya all the talk about death and injuries is scarying me again =(

thanks for all the advice guys (and of course April_fool_79!), im so excited now!
also do the people working at the ride check that everything is good before it starts? or is it like the movies where they just wait for people to get on and press the button then talk to their girlfriends while everyones screaming? (dumb question but just making sure =)

giggity424
04-21-2006, 12:56 AM
LOL, yes of course they check ,they go around to every single persons seat making sure it's all good.

vampiredabest
04-21-2006, 01:22 AM

thanks for all the advice guys (and of course April_fool_79!), im so excited now!
also do the people working at the ride check that everything is good before it starts? or is it like the movies where they just wait for people to get on and press the button then talk to their girlfriends while everyones screaming? (dumb question but just making sure =)

Usually, there are 2 ride attendants that check from each sides. I've seen cases and have even been involved in one where they forgot to check so the shoulder restraint was loose during the ride but thankfully I managed to survive.

It's no secret that it's as dangerous as anything that has speed (cars, airplanes) but at least this is fun. So I wish you the best of luck, hope you survive and have the best of fun!

Hector
04-21-2006, 03:54 AM
Just remember, Your more likely to crash in your car on the way to the park then to actually get hurt on a ride.

Erik Leppen
04-21-2006, 04:29 AM

Everything is checked and double checked.. On wooden coasters, everything (including the entire track) is checked and double checked every day.

Pcw
04-21-2006, 07:23 AM
I've seen cases and have even been involved in one where they forgot to check so the shoulder restraint was loose during the ride but thankfully I managed to survive.

You're really not helping. You're making it harder to put dirt back into the hole you keep digging.

Don't listen to this guy, he's just trying to scare you. Just follow directions and you'll be fine.

Worm
04-21-2006, 08:45 AM
Yu guys aren't really helping Tasha you know. You're scaring the crap out of her with all this accidents!

I think we need to get on a different topic than how safe a coaster is. all ou should do is follow the rules, and noone will get hurt.

giggity424
04-21-2006, 09:32 AM
Listen, bottom line.......it's almost impossable I've been going to amusement parks my whole life and never ever ever got NEAR to getting injured, (Thank G-d) and anything iv ever HEARD of happening was because of the rider misbehaving.

rjholla2003
04-21-2006, 11:09 AM
Tasha, ignore vampire. He's just being a fool and trying to scare you. Like everyone said before, as long as you follow directions, you'll be fine.

Here's a little information that should help calm you down. A lot of the safety mechanisms on roller coasters are redundant, or are fail-safe. For instance, the brakes that are on the ride use springs and compressed air to open and close them. The springs push them closed and the air keeps them open. That means that if a hose was to blow or the park was to lose power, the brakes would default to the "on" position and stop any train coming through them. As you might have seen, lift hills take the train up by a lift chain. The trains have chain dogs that attach them to the chain so that it can tow them up. The trains and track also have anti-rollback devices on them. Have you ever heard that "click-click-click" as a train is climbing up the lift? That's the anti-rollback at work. If the train loses the chain, the latches under the train catch onto the notches in the track and keeps the train still. The last one I'll elaborate on are the restraints. Restraints that use hydraulics are just like the brakes. The train must be powered to release the hydraulic pressure that's keeping the restraint closed. Some restraints are ratcheted. Those are the restraints that you hear "click" from place to place. I forgot what the fail-safe on those was, but there is one. In addition to the fail-safe, a lot of them are redundant. A lot of OTSRs have seat belts that lock it to the seat below you. Also, a lot of coasters that have lap restraints have a seat belt in addition to the restraint.

With the millions upon millions of rides that are given out year after year on roller coasters, the injury and death rate is less than 1%. You're statistically more likely to get injured playing billiards, playing golf, using a toothpick, or sitting in a lawn chair. When you look at the things that are more dangerous than roller coasters, it makes it almost feel silly to get scared of them. I know I'm not scared of lawn chairs! Just get on, relax yourself, keep your eyes open(!), and have a great time. It's such a rush that I hope you enjoy it.

giggity424
04-21-2006, 11:45 AM
Wow, if that speech didn't help her, nothing will.

Erik Leppen
04-21-2006, 12:49 PM
You're forgetting anything said in this topic right after the first drop anyway, just because of all the FUN you're having! :p :usa:

coasterdude28
04-21-2006, 02:56 PM
I would just like to continue to add to what we are all saying. The ride is ckecked, ckecked again, and rechecked before it leaves the station. The attendents will come to your seat and push down on the restraint until it is at a secure spot. They then pul up and push down again to make sure it is locked. The coasters also have extensive computers that will not let the ride run if there is a problem. The train will not move if the restraints are not locked. YOU ARE SAFE. Once you get past the fear, you will have a great time.

Also, the questions you are asking are not dumb. They are valid so don't feel stupid for asking them. This is also a great place to learn what you want to know.

Tanks4me05
04-21-2006, 03:35 PM
^ Well put. In fact, I had similar fears when I first rode Predator @ Six Flags Darien Lake for the first time back in 2002, but after the first drop ended, my fears went away, and my obsession of all things roller coaster related was given a 50 mph kick start.

Worm
04-21-2006, 04:08 PM
^liked your last line!

giggity424
04-21-2006, 05:23 PM
You know what? I think you're better off forgetting everything, just don't think about it jump on, and if you're meant to be a coaster lover you'll love it, if not then you won't. Also if you do like it, it would be much apreciated for you to return to the forums and discuss coasters w/ us. It's always great to see a coaster enthusiast born, and then watch them grow.

JamMasterJ
04-21-2006, 06:54 PM
Well said, giggity! Well said indeed!

siestakey
04-21-2006, 09:08 PM
I like the way Tasha has gotten all us TN members together talking abot a topic like this, thanks Tash. Have fun, and be sure to tell us what you think of the coasters. When are you going?
I bet after this you'll be back on here as a coaster enthusiast, =)

CP Maverick
04-21-2006, 10:09 PM
Well in that case ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Tash, if you have your seatbelt on and your harness is locked you'll be fine. :)

JamMasterJ
04-22-2006, 01:56 AM
I hope you'll love it and be back as an enthusiast, as siestakey says.

Worm
04-22-2006, 09:03 AM
Like everyone else says, just jump of the cliff...

jonfin826
04-26-2006, 08:10 PM
Sit in the middle, then back, then front.

Bowserjoe
04-26-2006, 09:44 PM
Sit in the middle, then back, then front.

I disagree. I think the front is a good seat to start in because you can see what's coming better and won't get easily suprised. It seems like the people who are afraid to sit in the front on rides, are the people who never have. If someone's first ever ride on a coaster is the front seat, they will love it though. Also, most rides are less intense in the front, g-force wise.

rjholla2003
04-26-2006, 11:08 PM
Less intense in the front? You're crazy. The front row and the back row (with certain exceptions, usually in multi-row cars with heavy axle vibrations in certain rows) are the most dynamic. The front enters elements faster and the back exits the elements faster. The middle of the train gives the average ride. With the front seat, not only do you have one set of the two extremes on the train, but you have the wind factor as well to heighten the intensity.

Bowserjoe
04-27-2006, 12:28 AM
I still think on a ride as tame as the ones at PCW, that the front is the best choice even for a n00b. It's not like she's going on intense coasters like Batman the Ride, or Kingda Ka!

Erik Leppen
04-27-2006, 02:44 AM
Front is best I think for beginners. Although I did not start in the front. I'm not even sure when I had my first front seat ride, but I wasn't particularly afraid of it. I think that at the time I just didn't realize it was so different.

Particularly on a Vekoma SLC the front seat is SO different...

vampiredabest
04-27-2006, 03:14 AM
Sorry but Batman the ride isnt intense !

Worm
04-27-2006, 04:12 AM
Remember shes a first timer and the coasters at PCW might look intense to her

vampiredabest
04-27-2006, 05:51 AM
Remember shes a first timer and the coasters at PCW might look intense to her

As long as she listens to the person who happens to be the most knowledgeable in the world of coasters (me, of course) she will be fine. Avoid the wooden coasters as there is no denying that they are dangerous and you will have a good time!

Pcw
04-27-2006, 07:22 AM
^If you were the most knowledgeable in the world about coasters, you should be the one to know that woodies are still coasters and that they are also safe.

I'd actually recommend one of the woodies near the front. The front is somewhat a smoother ride on PCWs woodies. As well, they have seatbelts that will get you even more comfortable. But of course there is still IJST...with lap bars and...doors? :p

Might I also recommend looking up the parks thrill levels. Maybe that can help you choose your first coaster/ride (most 'moderate' rides are 3 and 4).

steel
04-27-2006, 08:02 AM
...Avoid the wooden coasters as there is no denying that they are dangerous...
You idiot.
You are going to frighten her into never riding any woodie anywhere.
How exactly are they not safe?

Worm
04-27-2006, 09:13 AM
Just cuase their rough doesn't mean that they are not safe, vampiredabest.

They might feel unsafe and that is as ar as it goes.

rjholla2003
04-27-2006, 10:59 AM
Leave vampire the troll alone. Hopefully tasha knows that he's just trying to scare her and ignores his horrible tries. The more we attack him for being a jerk, the more he's going to feed into the thread.

Dalee4lifefan
04-27-2006, 11:27 AM
what you want to do is since you are a first time rider is start on the smallest coaster and go from there.my cousin did that wth me and it got me use to the height and the way the coasters work.so dont be scared of them.they are safe.what i do is double check the belts and bars to make sure they are ok.it makes it more at ease for the first time rider.

-American Viper
04-27-2006, 11:59 AM
I hadn't ridden many coaster before last year, so I remember being scared. Just pull the restraint down and scream as you go down the lift. I would start with a wooden coaster and work my way up. If the park has a coaster like a wild mouse, I would also start with that.

coastergenius100
04-27-2006, 02:51 PM
Actually, statistically, most accidents are a result of ride malfunction, and not rider error. However, accidents are freakishly and rediculously rare. You have a far better chance of winning the lottery than dying on a roller coaster. There are usually 4-5 deaths a year give or take, and a few more injuries, and millions and millions of geusts enter amusement parks. You are riding on a set track, with a set intention, you are restrained, you are safe.

On a different note, we would all love to be your position. The early thrills are always the best. I've been on so many coasters, so many themed rides, that I just don't get scared anymore. I enjoy them, but there's no fear involved anymore. I would love to be able to be scared, but it's just not going to happen anymore. Cherish the new excitement and fear, because it won't last for very long, if you ride as much as we do.

siestakey
04-27-2006, 03:01 PM
For a first coaster it kind of is. It was my first 'big' coaster. I loved it, but it was kind of intense. Not anymore to me, maybe to others though, after Ka, nothing is intense. lol

Cephas
04-27-2006, 04:11 PM
Roller coasters are designed to kill you. Stay out of the lines.

ShannonS
04-27-2006, 04:26 PM
Just start riding on the small coasters,first,then work your way to the big coasters. I did that with my niece one day at SFA a couple of years ago. We started on The Great Chase,and before I know it,we were riding The Wild One and Roar(but she hasn't got on Superman YET). And,also,take your time,don't rush!!!

steel
04-27-2006, 05:31 PM
^^You really are posessed by the devil aren't you? Nice one.

Jerry S
04-27-2006, 05:54 PM
Tasha, If I can give you advice, it would be to ride Vortex first. My first roller coaster was a very similar ride, Big Bad Wolf. I was probably 6 years old, and I had no idea what Iwas getting into. It was going up the lift, and I was a bit nervous at first, but one good thing about thoe types of rides is that you don't go too high, and you can't really see how high up you are anway if you are anywhere but the front. then, the ride doesn't really have much drops, just downward and upward curves. Not only is it not scary, but it is fun. I ended up loving the ride, and wanting to go again all day. I didn't even care about the other rides. I tihnk if you go on a small coaster, one that is classified for families, it won't help. You feel very low to the ground, and the main fear is height. To me there is no graduation from smaller rides, they're more like warm up. Do Vortex first, insist on it, and you will love it. it doesn't go upside down, and it has over the shoulder restraints.

rjholla2003
04-27-2006, 07:40 PM
For a first coaster it kind of is. It was my first 'big' coaster. I loved it, but it was kind of intense. Not anymore to me, maybe to others though, after Ka, nothing is intense. lol

I still find BTR very intense, especially on a hot day. It's a face-pulling, feet-tingling G Force extravaganza on a hot day in the front seat. Amazing coaster with a great, tight layout. I still love it.

April_fool_79
04-27-2006, 08:04 PM
Actually, statistically, most accidents are a result of ride malfunction, and not rider error.

No, they are not. Rider error is the major cause of ride injuries. We've been through this.

And vampire, if I ever meet you in person, remind me to slap you. I'd be more than happy to go head-to-head with you to see who's more knowledgeable about roller coasters. In fact, I'd be happy to put my 4 year old neice up against you to prove you're not the most knowledgeable person in the world in regards to roller coasters.

Jerry S
04-27-2006, 08:04 PM
^^Word

I don't like the feet tingling that I experience at the tops of Alpie's first 4 inversions, or after B:TR's second loop. It's a reason that Silver Bullet was fun as a relaxing ride sort of.

That's why forcefulness isn't necessary on rides for them to be fun. Just pick the ride that looks appealing to you, and ride it. I do very very strongly suggest Vortex though.

rjholla2003
04-27-2006, 09:11 PM
No, they are not. Rider error is the major cause of ride injuries. We've been through this.

And vampire, if I ever meet you in person, remind me to slap you. I'd be more than happy to go head-to-head with you to see who's more knowledgeable about roller coasters. In fact, I'd be happy to put my 4 year old neice up against you to prove you're not the most knowledgeable person in the world in regards to roller coasters.

Who knew it would take a newbie to bring out some people's true colors. I don't see how a real coaster enthusiast can try and scare someone off of roller coasters by saying stuff that everyone knows is false. Lines at amusement parks haven't bothered me that much to try and scare the world away from them.

Matt M
04-27-2006, 09:55 PM
Just do it.

CP Maverick
04-27-2006, 11:54 PM
Where's a Nike logo when you need it? :)

JordanMullins
04-27-2006, 11:58 PM
Never ridden a coaster, My advice: RIDE ONE!

Worm
04-28-2006, 02:16 AM
^^ What do you mean?

!!!400 POSTS!!!!

vampiredabest
04-28-2006, 02:52 AM

Babe, I really respect you for your great knowledge of coasters but I must you this is a side of you that the tn boards could do without. There is no need to make fun of a poster whom you do not agree with. People can have opinions, no? If everyone shared the same thoughts on every subject what would there be to talk about? Seriously babe, I'm sorry if you dont agree with my well thought out posts but at least make the effort to reply with one yourself instead of making fun of my knowledge of coasters and the fact that I'm a french canadian.

steel
04-28-2006, 09:43 AM
Did you just call April_fool_79 "babe?" That was the most disgusting thing I've seen in a while.

"Well thought out posts?" Please leave now.

I agree with April_fool_79. If ever I meet you, I must remember to wound you.

You should be banned from every amusement park on Earth (and several on Neptune).

coasterell
04-28-2006, 09:59 AM
Riding a roller coaster for the very first time, can be very frightening, and it can be intimidating. The best thing to do, is just go and ride the coaster. It's over so fast that you don't really have time to think about what's going on. Well maybe when you go up the lift...if you ride a coaster with a lift. But anyhow, riding roller coasters to me, is more of a treat, rather than a privlage.

April_fool_79
04-28-2006, 11:27 AM
^^ Well, Steel, considering I *AM* a female, I've heard worse. Although it would have been funnier if I was a guy and he'd called me "babe".

I'm not sure how I was making fun of you, vampire. I'm simply explaining to you why your ideas about the safety of woodies are incorrect. As for this ...

Seriously babe, I'm sorry if you dont agree with my well thought out posts but at least make the effort to reply with one yourself instead of making fun of my knowledge of coasters and the fact that I'm a french canadian.

Oddly enough, I don't see how your posts are well thought out. When I asked you for proof to back up your claims, you responded with nothing. *YOU* are the one who claimed that you are the most knowlegeable person in the world when it comes to coasters. I was simply pointing out that you are not. As for making fun of you for being French Canadian ... :confused: :confused: I wasn't even *AWARE* you are FC, much less make fun of you for it.

Worm
04-28-2006, 12:20 PM
I see flaming appoaching on the horizon...

coastergenius100
04-28-2006, 12:37 PM

I do appriciate being told I'm wrong by a poster who joined in December 2005, about 4 months ago, with about 200 posts to his name, but what do I know, I've only been around since the first day the site was open to the public.

Many people like to say that most roller coaster accidents occur because of rider neglegant, and not ride malfunction, if you watch an excess of roller coaster televion specials you will definately start to believe that. But if you personally go online and check the instances, you'll notice a trend that most modern accidents occur by ride malfunction. However, I do wish to reiterate that the odds of that occuring is so miniscule, it is not sufficient to stop anybody from riding.

rjholla2003
04-28-2006, 01:38 PM
You and vampire are both crazy. Rideaccidents.com is the only site I need to point out to you to prove that you are both wrong. Your "knowledge" sucks. Educate yourselves.

PANTSFREE
04-28-2006, 01:42 PM
Usually, there are 2 ride attendants that check from each sides. I've seen cases and have even been involved in one where they forgot to check so the shoulder restraint was loose during the ride but thankfully I managed to survive.

It's no secret that it's as dangerous as anything that has speed (cars, airplanes) but at least this is fun. So I wish you the best of luck, hope you survive and have the best of fun!
o dear god, STOP TALKING you retarded GP fool.

You've never been on it then.

coastergenius100
04-28-2006, 03:44 PM
You and vampire are both crazy. Rideaccidents.com is the only site I need to point out to you to prove that you are both wrong. Your "knowledge" sucks. Educate yourselves.

Ok rjholla2003, ironically your source, Rideaccidents.com only reinforces my claim. If you look at the majority, most of the accidents are ride malfunction, and not rider error.

Just look at all of the headlines from the last 17 incidents documented:

Woman falls ill, dies after ride on Disney's Mission: Space:
In this article, a woman died as a result of getting sick on the ride. Certainly not a fault of her.

Titanic' inflatable ride accident leaves girl in coma:
There wasn't any information given about this accident, so I can't say either way.

Jaro maintenance worker pleads guilty in Massachusetts Sizzler death:
Obviously, if you have any reading skills, the headline alone would imply that somebody other than the rider was at fault.

Roller coaster car derails, injuring carnival workers:
I don't see how the rider could stop a car from derailing....

Malfunction brings swing ride to abrupt stop; 8 injured"
"Eight people suffered minor injuries at Six Flags Over Texas theme park in Arlington, Texas, after the 'Texas Tornado' circular swing ride stopped suddenly after a --malfunction--."

Connecticut Supreme Court rules against worker killed in Boulder Dash accident:
Amazing coaster btw, but this was an accident of a worker, so I'm not going to talk about it.

Park worker killed in fall from roller coaster:
Again...worker

Jury awards $3.6 million to woman injured on Six Flags roller coaster:
In this case, a woman was stuck by a foreign object at 60 MPH, again not her fault.

Roller coaster stalls at carnival, stranding riders:
I don't see how a roller coaster stalling can be any fault of the rider.

Boy injured in fall from roller coaster:
This is actually a case where a boy was acting stupid and payed for his stupidity.

Riders stranded aboard Busch Gardens Skyride:
I don't like this case even being considered an accident, because all that happened was the gondola was stranded, but still it was a malfunction, and not rider error.

Man injured while boarding Disney World ride:
The man accidently slipped, obviously not a malfunction, but not exactly neglegence by the man.

No criminal charges in 'Hydro' death:
If you read the related story, it stated that the ride was not using the mandated California water ride restraints.

Girl, 9, killed in fall from Sizzler ride at Texas carnival
Nothing definitive is said in this article, it's up to interpretation.

Girl, 8, thrown from ride at Miami carnival; 8 others also injured
Again, nothing definitive was said.

Inflatable rental company cited in rock wall death:
A rock wall is not really a ride or roller coaster, so I'm not going to say anything about it.

Disney admits liability in Big Thunder Mountain Railroad death:
The title says it all.

I went through all that trouble to show to you my argument, and that I'm not some member of the GP who spews lies for the sake of saying something, what I say is planned out, and derived from years of roller coaster obsession. As a result, I've seen many injury reports through various sites, and have concluded that there isn't a whole hell of a lot you can do to prevent an accident if it's going to happen.

Many people think the way they do because parks create press releases, and use their PR to do whatever they can to liability off themselves.

Accidents are extremely unfortunate, but that does not change the fact that they are rare, and honestly, with the modern technology and restraint and safety regulations you have to try to get injured on a ride or roller coaster, it's not something that you have to be overly worried about.

Katie
04-28-2006, 05:23 PM
Guys, this is really turning into a flaming match. If you all can't keep it to PM's and stick to the subject at hand this will be closed.

As for Vampire. Calling a woman "babe" is absolutely disgusting. We have ladies on this board. I suggest you treat them as such.

I also don't see the need to copy and paste things from rideaccident.com. We get it really.

Pcw
04-28-2006, 06:24 PM
People can have opinions, no?

The things you've said in this thread are not really opinions. They're just false facts that are meant to scare everyone.

Tasha, I should apologize on behalf of everyone. We've gotten way too technical in the subject (at least most people have...).
So, have you decided what will be your first roller coaster? The summers around the corner!

I really hope you have an enjoyable first ride on a coaster! :)

vampiredabest
04-28-2006, 06:26 PM
Guys, this is really turning into a flaming match. If you all can't keep it to PM's and stick to the subject at hand this will be closed.

As for Vampire. Calling a woman "babe" is absolutely disgusting. We have ladies on this board. I suggest you treat them as such.

I also don't see the need to copy and paste things from rideaccident.com. We get it really.

Fine I apologize for being french canadian and not being good at speaking english. For that reason and that only you and april fool79 are much intelligent then me. Yup.

giggity424
04-28-2006, 07:10 PM
Okay, maybe this should be closed?...........I can't imagine a nice response to this.

April_fool_79
04-28-2006, 07:47 PM
No, we don't want to close it, we want Tasha to come back on here and tell us what she rode and how she did. If we haven't completely scared her away from the forums yet. :)

coasterdude28
04-28-2006, 09:48 PM
I do appriciate being told I'm wrong by a poster who joined in December 2005, about 4 months ago, with about 200 posts to his name, but what do I know, I've only been around since the first day the site was open to the public.

Using that logic, if Bolliger or Mabillard joined the site tomorrow, you would have more coaster knowledge then them? I have trouble figuring that one out.

In all seriousness, let's get back on topic. Tasha wanted advice for her first coaster ride. She did not want a people to fight over coaster accidents and whatnot. How soon untill your trip Tasha?

And, vampire, I find it very ignorant for you to go around and refer to women(april_fool) as "babe". Come on man.

steel
04-28-2006, 09:52 PM
with about 200 posts to his name

It is amazing that you have not yet realized that April_fool_79 is female.

Vampiredabest, no one has said anything about where you're from or what languages you speak. That is completely beside the point.

Bowserjoe
04-28-2006, 10:16 PM
Guys, please don't get this thread closed. I want to hear how she liked the coasters, so I want this to stay open. It's always exciting to see someone's reaction to first coaster ride! It's just that certain idiots need to stay the hell out of this thread. *cough* vampire *cough*

Fastdawg07
04-28-2006, 10:33 PM
Vampire, you're absolutely Insane! with a capital I. YOU are the one that mentioned that you are "french canadian" nobody else even KNEW you were. And frankly, I don't see how that MATTERS to begin with? And speaking english? So, what? I'm pretty sure that we could understand what you were saying.

As for the topic? You COMPLETELY went off of it. You are the one that suggested that she stay away from roller coasters because they are "dangerous". Hey, guess what? This is for people who enjoy coasters and other thrill rides that want to express their opinions. Obviously from the way you were talking, you don't like them that much.

And third, we'd all like to know what she's going to ride. I think I, along with everybody else that matters (jk), would be excited about what coaster she rode and what she thought of it. So, please for the sake of the thread, stop antagonizing her and leave.

Worm
04-29-2006, 02:13 AM
^exactly, we don't want this thread to be closed! Maybe she'll turn into a RCL! (roller coaster lover)

rjholla2003
04-29-2006, 02:27 AM
Ok rjholla2003, ironically your source, Rideaccidents.com only reinforces my claim. Oh really now? Let's take a look.

Just look at all of the headlines from the last 17 incidents documented:

Woman falls ill, dies after ride on Disney's Mission: Space:
In this article, a woman died as a result of getting sick on the ride. Certainly not a fault of her. As far as anyone knows, that was most likely rider error (due to ignorance). The ride didn't malfunction and she may have had a heart condition

Titanic' inflatable ride accident leaves girl in coma:
There wasn't any information given about this accident, so I can't say either way.
Why bother mentioning it then?

Jaro maintenance worker pleads guilty in Massachusetts Sizzler death:
Obviously, if you have any reading skills, the headline alone would imply that somebody other than the rider was at fault.
Actually, the headline suggest human error. The site is down ATM, so I can't look at the specifics. Don't question my reading skills when you have a problem with your reading comprehension.
*edit*
I have read the article and this is a little excerpt that I found interesting:

Investigators determined that the accident was a result of loose and undersized nuts and bolts that held the victim's seat together. Prosecutors said that McCullough failed to ensure that the ride was maintained properly. Sounds like human error to me.

Roller coaster car derails, injuring carnival workers:
I don't see how the rider could stop a car from derailing.... I'll give you that, even though it could be spun as human error due to improper maintenance. I'll revisit this one as well when the site is working.
I remember this one from the news now that I've read the article. It had something to do with loose bolts, which would be human error.

Malfunction brings swing ride to abrupt stop; 8 injured"
"Eight people suffered minor injuries at Six Flags Over Texas theme park in Arlington, Texas, after the 'Texas Tornado' circular swing ride stopped suddenly after a --malfunction--." I'll give you that one.
*edit*
Still giving that to you, even though it was an e-stop.

Connecticut Supreme Court rules against worker killed in Boulder Dash accident:
Amazing coaster btw, but this was an accident of a worker, so I'm not going to talk about it. (again, can't see article) I wouldn't exclude it. In accidents I know about (Scream @ SFMM, that ride in Lotte World, the death on Rolling Thunder @ Great Adventure) that involve workers, they all involve human error because they tend to get a feeling of knowing the ride so well that they can act stupid. With Scream, the woman should have never been in that area of the ride, and she was deaf. The ride-op didn't realize she was standing near the helix at the time, so when the train was going around, since the woman couldn't hear it, she was hit and killed by the train. In Lotte World, the worker was drunk, yet his friends let him ride anyway. And he had no restraints on. Rolling Thunder, the employee tried to ride standing up. All human error.
*edit*
This specific article didn't say anything about the accident that the trial was about, so one can not draw a conclusion about what exactly happened or who was at fault.

Park worker killed in fall from roller coaster:
Again...worker See above
*edit*
Ah, Lotte World. See above.

Jury awards $3.6 million to woman injured on Six Flags roller coaster:
In this case, a woman was stuck by a foreign object at 60 MPH, again not her fault. The ride did not malfunction, Mr. Genious. An object was thrown at the train by an onlooker. Try again.

Roller coaster stalls at carnival, stranding riders:
I don't see how a roller coaster stalling can be any fault of the rider. I wouldn't call an e-stop or stall an accident. And no one was injured.

Boy injured in fall from roller coaster:
This is actually a case where a boy was acting stupid and payed for his stupidity. Thanks for not being stupid on this one.

Riders stranded aboard Busch Gardens Skyride:
I don't like this case even being considered an accident, because all that happened was the gondola was stranded, but still it was a malfunction, and not rider error. Not an accident, no injuries, non-issue

Man injured while boarding Disney World ride:
The man accidently slipped, obviously not a malfunction, but not exactly neglegence by the man. And this matters because...

No criminal charges in 'Hydro' death:
If you read the related story, it stated that the ride was not using the mandated California water ride restraints. I did research on this very accident for a class. The State of California stated that the restraints were operating as specified by Intamin in their ride manual. The restraint did not malfunction, the woman was too large for it to moved into a locke position. Human error with the blame on the station attendants for not checking the restraint, and letting on someone who was way above the maximim girth for the ride.
*edit*
The Californian Intamin water ride is called "Perilous Plunge, not Hydro. This ride is in England. In this case, the girl was seen fiddling with the restraint, possibly because her jacket was caught in it. Last I heard, the true cause of this accident was never determined.

I would have pointed out that location/ride discrepancy earlier, but I had a long day and was near-sleep when I posted this novel.

Girl, 9, killed in fall from Sizzler ride at Texas carnival
Nothing definitive is said in this article, it's up to interpretation. Will revisit when I can see the article

*edit*
Yeah, not much in that article. It is hard to slip under or out of a restraint without trying. My professor has actually won cases for parks and carnivals with similar incidents because one most likely has to consiously, willingly, and purposely has to put themselves in a position to slip out of a restraint. Simply falling out because the restraint didn't work is a whole different story.

Girl, 8, thrown from ride at Miami carnival; 8 others also injured
Again, nothing definitive was said. Also revisiting

*edit*
Seems like a malfunction to me, but not enough was said. I'll give that to you if you want.;)

Inflatable rental company cited in rock wall death:
A rock wall is not really a ride or roller coaster, so I'm not going to say anything about it. Not the subject of this debate, but doesn't seem like the wall malfunctioned from that headline.
*edit*
More human error. Improperly trained employees working for a company that doesn't have a permit to operate an inflatable rock wall.

Disney admits liability in Big Thunder Mountain Railroad death:
The title says it all. It most definitely does

*edit*
Why stop there? There's plenty more on the front page for you to go through. Let's do 3 more to make it an even 20.

Boy Who Died on Mission: Space Had Heart Condition The suprise of the sudden popping of a balloon literally could have killed this child because of this specific condition. That's not ride malfunction

Rye Playland Cleared in Mill Ride Death I'll let the article speak here:

The report says that there were three witnesses who had been riding in the boat behind the victim's boat. They told investigators that they saw the boy standing in the water, and that he appeared to be wet from the waist down. The witnesses, all of them young girls, said that after they passed the boy, they heard a loud splash, but none of them reported what they had seen or heard to anyone when the got off the ride...This leads investigators to conclude that the victim had climbed out of his boat onto a ledge that runs along the edge of the water, and that he probably slipped and fell after trying to climb back into another boat.
The next two on the page have nothing to do with rides, so I'll jump down to...

Carnival Worker Struck By Roller Coaster, Killed Again, letting the article speak:

Witnesses said that the man had climbed onto a maintenance platform and may have been inspecting the ride when his jacket got jammed underneath a passing car. The car struck him, knocking him off the platform. He died immediately...A spokesman for the carnival said that the man was not authorized to be in the area where he was struck. Investigators say that the accident was caused solely by the worker's error in judgment.
Well, that was a fun debate.

Accidents are extremely unfortunate, but that does not change the fact that they are rare, and honestly, with the modern technology and restraint and safety regulations you have to try to get injured on a ride or roller coaster, it's not something that you have to be overly worried about.
That bolded part is what we are all trying to say. Ride accidents do happen, but it's not often and usually not mechanical failure.
*edit*
Let's tally up the results here:
Mechanical Failure: 3, with one of them as a "gift".
Human error:10 (not counting accidents which I bought up)
"other" (no cause found as of yet, non-accidents):7 (most of those not even accidents)

Those numbers could swing a bit more in my favor as there were accidents that I could say are human error, most likely are, but I didn't claim. Thanks for playing.

vampiredabest
04-29-2006, 03:21 AM
Vampire, you're absolutely Insane! with a capital I. YOU are the one that mentioned that you are "french canadian" nobody else even KNEW you were. And frankly, I don't see how that MATTERS to begin with? And speaking english? So, what? I'm pretty sure that we could understand what you were saying.

As for the topic? You COMPLETELY went off of it. You are the one that suggested that she stay away from roller coasters because they are "dangerous". Hey, guess what? This is for people who enjoy coasters and other thrill rides that want to express their opinions. Obviously from the way you were talking, you don't like them that much.

And third, we'd all like to know what she's going to ride. I think I, along with everybody else that matters (jk), would be excited about what coaster she rode and what she thought of it. So, please for the sake of the thread, stop antagonizing her and leave.

I never said she would stay away from r.c.-s because they are dangerous, I just suggested to avoid wooden coasters since she's a begginer. Riding a woodie will make her feel unsafe more then anything and as history has shown it is the most dangerous type of coaster.

If I didnt like roller coasters "that much" why would I be a poster on these wonderful boards?

Also sorry but isnt babe the way people refer to a girl? Sorry but I thought that was the way. Again I apologize for my bad english.

Tanks4me05
04-29-2006, 07:41 AM
^Ohhhhhhhhh.... you said for her to wait a little while BEFORE riding wooden coasters because it might intimidate her too much as a beginner? Wow... talk about one of the longest and most flame productive misunderstandings, if I'm understanding Vampiredabest right. Actually, riding a wooden coaster is not all that bad, I remember my first wooden coaster, Predator, and when I rode it, it was actually very fun because of it's illusion of being unsafe. However, these rides are in fact engineered just to LOOK unsafe, and to SEEM unsafe, so whenever you do ride a wooden coaster for the first time, just realize you don't have anything to worry about, like any other ride.

Cuddy
04-29-2006, 10:05 AM
I don't use "babe" to refer to girls I recently met, otherwise I'd have multiple handprints on my face.

I don't see why a wooden coaster can't be a first coaster. Thinking back on more than 20 years of coastering is tough, but I think I rode a wooden coaster as my first coaster.

ShannonS
04-29-2006, 10:06 AM
Tasha,just take your time and work your way up,and above all,have a good time riding . Let us know how you did..

steel
04-29-2006, 10:09 AM
I never said she would stay away from r.c.-s because they are dangerous

I hate to do this, but...

Wooden coasters are indeed dangerous and many a accidents have been reported

For instance wooden coasters are dangerous. There is no denying that.

It's no secret that it's as dangerous as anything that has speed (cars, airplanes (http://www.thrillnetwork.com/boards/showthread.php?t=38600&page=3#))

I really, truly hope that this is all just a misunderstanding through a language barrier.

Pcw
04-29-2006, 10:11 AM
^His english seems fine...The language isn't really an excuse.

I also have another tip.

Watch the ride operate and the people who are operating it. You'll get used to the sounds and you'll see how safe the ride is. Thats how I got into coasters. I used to be scared of them but I used to visit the park just to watch the rides. I finally went on and I was hooked. Hopefully it'll work out the same for you.

(Refering to the very first post) If you're really scared of flying out of your seat, I suggest stapling yourself to the point where it is still somewhat comfortable. That means pushing down your restraint untill it won't go down any further.

coasterell
04-29-2006, 11:23 AM
Riding a coaster for the first time, for anyone is always scary. Just take your time, and work your way up to the "bigger" coasters. Start with a small to medium sized coaster and go up from there. (No pun intended).

Bowserjoe
04-29-2006, 11:33 AM
I rode a woodie as my first coaster. It was the Flyer Comet at Whalom Park (RIP). And it looks like Vampiredabest is now changing his story. First he said wooden coasters are DANGEROUS. DO NOT RIDE THEM. Now he's trying to say to just "wait a little" to ride one because they are sometimes rough. Way different.

Ok, I have come to a conclusion that Italian Job is definitely the best coaster to start with. You can get the excitement of a good, speedy coaster without being terrified while clicking up a lift hill.

coasterell
04-29-2006, 11:49 AM
Flight of Fear would be a nice coaster to start on. But then again, some people don't like the idea of feeling like they've just been shot out of a gun.

Worm
04-29-2006, 12:24 PM
...someone please ban vampiredabest for some reason. i can't think of one...

coastrfreak2000
04-29-2006, 12:32 PM
PCW opens this Sunday, so she should be riding her first coaster pretty soon!

Bowserjoe
04-29-2006, 12:36 PM
I wonder if she'll be an enthusiast!

coastrfreak2000
04-29-2006, 12:44 PM
Lets hope!

rjholla2003
04-29-2006, 12:55 PM
Vampire, I don't believe the language bit at all. You've never had a problem with your english until you came under fire in this thread. All of a sudden it's "Oh, I'm French Canadian. I don't know English well. You're picking on me because I'm French Canadian." I honestly have a hard time believing that a language barrier is the reason for the reactions your posts have gotten. Just so you can't twist my words, that does not mean I'm saying you're not French Canadian, just that you know english better than you're letting on.

*edit*
I finished re-visiting my last post, adding in the observations since I can see the site, and fought to shorten it to 10000 charachters while not destroying the posts. Have fun reading that Coastergenious.

Worm
04-29-2006, 05:40 PM
I see vampiredabest making a lot of friends in the future...

Matt M
04-29-2006, 06:14 PM

Playing the senority card are we?

I have the same join time as you, and I'm telling you you're completely wrong and Rjholla and those people are right. Thank god you haven't posted much.

Worm
04-30-2006, 12:52 PM
^ ooo, thats gotta hurt!

Coaster Nana
04-30-2006, 02:28 PM
I read this board almost every day, but I don't post unless I have something intelligent that will add to the messages I'm reading, or playing some of the games. I don't post just to "up" my count as some people seem to do.

I've held off from posting in this thread, but now a couple of you have riled up the "Momma Bear". As some of you know, April Fool is my daughter. Some facts about her: She rode her first coaster two weeks before she was born (Space Mountain). She had an annual pass for Circus World when she was three. We lived in Daytona and went to Disney/Circus World/Sea World/Busch Tampa at least once a month. After we moved to north Florida we visited Orlando/Tampa four or five times a year strictly for the parks. She worked at Miracle Strip Amusement Park (RIP) on Panama City Beach for four years while in high school. She was the first girl ever trained to operate the Starliner (40 year old woodie, non computerized, manual brake lever, etc.) and the only person in the park allowed to operate it alone. After we moved to Orlando she worked for five years at Universal and IOA, in fact was on the opening crew at IOA. She spent a day with the B&M designers when they came to ride DD for the first time after it was built and took an intensive two day course on coasters and coaster design. She is more than knowledgeable about the safety features of most types of rides and was on the Safety Committee while at Universal.

As for me, I've been riding coasters for over 50 years. Luckily I had a dad who was also a coaster person. I've ridden many rides, both flats and coasters, some in parks that were memories before most of the people on this board were born. I made sure my children were exposed early to some of the best things in life--speed, air time, etc.--and am now doing the same with my granddaughters, ages 4 and almost 7.

Just because we didn't discover this board until last December, does that make us any less of a coaster enthusiast, or allow us to have intelligent opinions? Just wondering.

For Tasha: The first one is the hardest. An example: We were in line for Borg at Carowinds last week and we started talking to the group behind us. It was a mother, daughter and three of her friends. The mom and two of the kids had never been on a ride like Borg before and were really nervous. After the ride they were all laughing and said they couldn't wait to ride it again. From my experience with my own children and their friends (and even with adult "virgin riders"), that usually the way it is--scared to death and then love it! So go ride some coasters and find out why we drive long distances to find new ones to enjoy.

Worm
05-01-2006, 10:47 AM
She hasn't replied in a long time... You think she went?

Bowserjoe
05-01-2006, 11:18 AM
Yeah, she probably just forgot to come back here and post. Or else she hated the rides!

coasterell
05-02-2006, 10:48 AM
She could also be busy with other things, and hasn't found time to repost yet.

James
05-02-2006, 11:53 AM
Yeah.. Some people have a life outside of TN.

Sir Willow
05-02-2006, 01:42 PM
^ A life? Outside of coasters and posting on TN? Blasphemy! Sacriledge! You mean you actually think that some people think there's some sort of reality besides sitting in front of a computer dreaming about coasters and geekily counting every step they take in a park and how many times they've stood at the entrance of a ride? Horrors!

/sarcasm :D

Playing the senority card are we?

I have the same join time as you, and I'm telling you you're completely wrong and Rjholla and those people are right. Thank god you haven't posted much.

I'll chime in with the others here, and since seniority matters to mr. "genius", in case you didn't realize, not only was I here on day 1, I was a member of this community before it ever became a message board- part of the email list that predated it. That makes me far more your senior in that regard (can't believe I'm actually saying that. I feel so stupid bragging about that :rolleyes: )

Well over 90% of all accidents in amusement parks and on rides are due to rider error- something that the rider has done that they shouldn't. That isn't just documented, it's been proven in several studies. In park training you are taught that as part of your job, and methods to watch riders and try to prevent misbehavior. The ride isn't going to let you down, it's the people on it that will. Every incident that I can think of that I'm aware of at BGT while I worked there was due to guests causing problems, such as standing up on a ride they weren't supposed to. Mechanical breakdowns are rare- and ones that result in some sort of "accident" are exceedingly so. You've a better chance of being hit by lightning 9 times (even in Tampa!) then you do of being injured in a ride accident.

Back on the topic, should be fun to see if she does come back and tell us about her trip. I know with my own kids, as well as myself, the easiest thing to do is to start out small and work your way up. The kiddie coasters first (if they'll let you), then the family coasters. Save the loops for later on, since most people have a real fear of going upside down on a ride until they've actually done it. Save the biggest for the last. Pretty basic, but it works well- each one is a step up the ladder, and if you do it in small steps, after you finish each one you'll have more confidence for the bigger ones. And you won't get totally overwhelmed by to much at once.

Erik Leppen
05-02-2006, 02:01 PM
If I remember correctly, I thought Tasha said it was May 6. I'm to lazy to look it up :P but that would mean she hasn't gone yet. Although I am wondering why there is no reaction...

Jerry S
05-02-2006, 03:41 PM
It is unnecessary to talk about 90 % and 1 % and all that crap. the word accident makes people nervous, so it shouldn't be brought up at all, because they don't happen. Like I said, if it happens to you, buy a lottery ticket.

As for breakdowns, that's different. All a breakdown means, and it may happen while you're in line or on the ride, all it means is that something is getting fixed, and no one will get hurt. Please, take my previous advice about Vortex, here it is in pictures, I tihnk it looks fun.

http://www.rcdb.com/ig65.htm

Erik Leppen
05-03-2006, 03:14 AM
Not sure whether I would start with a suspended coaster...

vampiredabest
05-03-2006, 04:15 AM
Not sure whether I would start with a suspended coaster...

I agree.. suspended coasters can sometimes be a tad dangerous.

Martin
05-03-2006, 06:26 AM
^ Wtf? Whatever the idiot above me says Tasha, don't listen to it.

steel
05-03-2006, 08:03 AM
Again, vampire, you contradict yourself by calling a coaster dangerous.

Care to explain exactly how these coasters are dangerous?

Worm
05-03-2006, 08:05 AM
^^^either your doing it on purpose or your just real big IDIOT and nobody likes you!

anyhoo! Suspended coasters can be intense around short turns.

rjholla2003
05-03-2006, 11:01 AM
I agree.. suspended coasters can sometimes be a tad dangerous.

I'm calling you out. You want to keep making these claims, back them up. Put your money where your mouth is. At least Coastergenious tried and said something. He was proven wrong (and has been quiet ever since), but you just keep running your fingers. Post the proof, or stop lying to this girl.

Sir Willow
05-03-2006, 11:26 AM
He's trolling guys. Isn't that obvious yet? Ignore him since all he's doing is trying to get people mad- and it's obviously working.

rjholla2003
05-03-2006, 11:28 AM
Yeah, true. I guess sometimes we like to do things the hard way.

vampiredabest
05-04-2006, 12:29 AM
I'm calling you out. You want to keep making these claims, back them up. Put your money where your mouth is. At least Coastergenious tried and said something. He was proven wrong (and has been quiet ever since), but you just keep running your fingers. Post the proof, or stop lying to this girl.

My uncle works at La Ronde and he's the one who told me all this stuff. I think he would know more about this stuff then you. Thank!

Worm
05-04-2006, 12:38 AM
If its been broken or something why isn't there a article on it?

vampiredabest
05-04-2006, 01:35 AM
If its been broken or something why isn't there a article on it?

Parks tend to hide this stuff because common sense is it reflects their reputation. The more people hear about accidents, the more people will decide not to come to an amusement park.

Katie
05-04-2006, 07:36 AM
Accidents and break downs are completely different. If there was some sort of accident on a coaster, someone would have said it by now. Maybe not officially, but it isn't possible.

Your Uncle may work at a park, but claiming that a suspended coaster is dangerous is complete BS. There is absolutely no proof in your statements what so ever. If you can back it up, I would be more then happy to believe you, until then, you should honestly stop trolling.

steel
05-04-2006, 07:55 AM
^^What makes you say that a park worker would know more about parks and coasters than an avid enthusiast.

Basically, you just said that the Lemon Chill guy knows more about coasters and parks than, say, Lisa Scheinin.

Worm
05-04-2006, 02:08 PM
...can't someone ban him...

rjholla2003
05-04-2006, 02:36 PM
Vampire, your uncle isn't a statistic, nor is that proof. By that logic, if I say "Fox 40 whistles are deadly", that's true because I'm a USSF licenced soccer referee who uses a Fox 40 when I ref.

That's my last time feeding this troll.

CP Maverick
05-04-2006, 10:43 PM
Cars are dangerous. At least you know where the coaster is going around the next turn. :)

Matt M
05-04-2006, 11:52 PM
Parks tend to hide this stuff because common sense is it reflects their reputation. The more people hear about accidents, the more people will decide not to come to an amusement park.

Are you one of those tards that believe in the 9/11 conspiracies?

Bowserjoe
05-05-2006, 12:19 AM
Guys, I think we should just ignore this imbecile and stop jumping on every one of his posts. I'm sure that's what he hopes for because he loves the attanetion. If we just treat him as being invisible, maybe he'll give up.

vampiredabest
05-05-2006, 01:24 AM
Guys, I think we should just ignore this imbecile and stop jumping on every one of his posts. I'm sure that's what he hopes for because he loves the attanetion. If we just treat him as being invisible, maybe he'll give up.

Fine.. believe whatever you want. By the way my uncle isnt an ice cream seller or something, he's a ride engeneer.

Fastdawg07
05-05-2006, 02:02 AM
After this I'm ignoring him........

You're a loser! Get it through your head, you troll. Seriously, you claim to be a genius yet you still think that all coasters are dangerous. Hey, here's a news flash for you. Rollercoasters with OTSR's (suspended coasters) have VERY tight restraints...so unless the rider is insanely flexible, i doubt that...especially on suspended coasters...they could somehow get out of the restraint. How many accidents have there been on suspended coasters. You give me a stat to prove it to me, I might just let you go on that one, but come on!

vampiredabest
05-05-2006, 03:01 AM
After this I'm ignoring him........

You're a loser! Get it through your head, you troll. Seriously, you claim to be a genius yet you still think that all coasters are dangerous. Hey, here's a news flash for you. Rollercoasters with OTSR's (suspended coasters) have VERY tight restraints...so unless the rider is insanely flexible, i doubt that...especially on suspended coasters...they could somehow get out of the restraint. How many accidents have there been on suspended coasters. You give me a stat to prove it to me, I might just let you go on that one, but come on!

Ride Engeneer >>> Some posters on some internet message board

CoasterDJ
05-05-2006, 03:56 AM
Hey Tasha,

In more than 20 years of riding coasters of all shapes and sizes - the only incident to report happened two years ago on Nitro at Six Flags Great Adventure. What was it? I swallowed a gnat (or something) down the first hill in mid-scream....and I didn't even KNOW it until I was arriving back at the station. That along with everything that has been said on this particular thread should prove that rides are VERY safe, and that their is nothing to fear at all. So go to PCW, ride everything you are comfortable with, and try some stuff that may seem a bit intimidating (trying it is the only way to know if you really can enjoy something or not).

Now, as for Vampire....
I have glanced through all of his posts and most of the others in detail, and I will admit that I was thinking all about saying something about Vampire based on ONLY what he said. But, then I thought better of it, and while I certainly disagree with a lot of what Vampire seems to say, technically there is no doubt that from a ride engineer's perspective, certain rides may be more dangerous. After all, for an engineer (if I understand things correctly), this can include construction work, inspections, AND many other facets of a ride's life from initial design to the last ride and beyond. Besides, as an engineer, he is a human being and his own fears could parlay into his opinions about certain ride types. Hence the reason why cold hard facts are always preferable to opinions from people - the interpretations, but not the facts can be biased.

So Tasha...go ahead, follow the rules (designed for your safety) and live it up. It is a blast indeed. Safety is a top concern as every little incident becomes a blot on a safety record, not to mention lawsuits that bring at the very least, bad publicity for the parks. If you were going to a carnival or fair, I would say be more careful, but a full time permanent park, you have overall very little to worry about at all. I would be more concerned about getting to or from the park, than the roller coasters and rides. Enjoy.

Matt M
05-05-2006, 07:53 AM

Didn't work on you.

Draken2k
05-05-2006, 09:38 AM
All I can say is I hope you like them and diversify your experiences. Coasters would not be built if people didn't want them! :)

CP Maverick
05-05-2006, 02:01 PM
Ride Engeneer >>> Some posters on some internet message board
Must not be a very good engineer if his rides aren't safe.

Is it just me or do French Canadians have the most stuckup attitudes on the planet?

Bowserjoe
05-05-2006, 02:32 PM
Must not be a very good engineer if his rides aren't safe.

Is it just me or do French Canadians have the most stuckup attitudes on the planet?

Ooooh.....that was good!

Pcw
05-05-2006, 02:39 PM
By the way my uncle isnt an ice cream seller or something, he's a ride engeneer.

What is an engeneer? :rolleyes:

vampiredabest
05-05-2006, 03:21 PM
Makin fun of my english again.. typical!

Worm
05-05-2006, 04:12 PM
Youe know what? i don't care if i get banned. How about you just just the ****** up and go speak some stupid english! heck, i'm south AFRICAN. i can speak perfectly english. French is alot more english thatn my home language, Afrikaans. Afrikaans is like German. Almost exactly the same and its nowhere near english.

So stop making stupid remarks on coasters not being safe! I am stuck up with people wo can''t get the picture into their heads! PEOPLE DO NOT LIKE YOU! Thats the stone cold truth and a fact.

so shut up on you being not able to speak english! and as you can see, PCW was sarcastic. Obviously Freanch Canadian people must be blind or either REALLY stupid!

Matt M
05-05-2006, 04:18 PM
Makin fun of my english again.. typical!

If you're trying to piss people off for fun you're going about it th wrong way...

CP Maverick
05-05-2006, 06:42 PM
Maybe a mod should clean up this thread as it's been redirected away from Tasha's original question and turned into Thrill Network vs French Canada...

rjholla2003
05-05-2006, 08:38 PM
We probably scared Tasha away...

Bowserjoe
05-05-2006, 08:54 PM
Obviously Freanch Canadian people must be blind or either REALLY stupid!

OK, don't start getting racist now. There's nothing wrong with French Canadians. We didn't even KNOW he was french canadian, but he assumed that's why everyone was picking on him. That has nothing to with it, and I think it's BS that he can't speak English. Has nothing to do with being a total idiot and trying to scare someone away from coasters by giving false information.

Pcw
05-05-2006, 10:08 PM
I have nothing against french Canadians (though I dislike the language...) but this guys really making a bad name for them.

But even if I wasn't making fun of your english, what does your uncle have to do with it? Heck, if you're saying that rides are dangerous, your uncle's not doing a very good job!

If you're still blaming on your english, go find a french board for crying out loud!

coasterell
05-05-2006, 10:39 PM
Even people who've been speaking English for years, have problems with it. English is one of the hardest languages to learn and deal with. It doesn't matter what nationality you are, English is hard for everyone.

As for rides not being safe, I don't know exactly what your problem is, trying to SCARE people from riding rides, but I know exactly what rides go through, and I KNOW they are perfectly safe. Sure there is a once in a while freak accident, but for the most parts, all rides are safe.

Cuddy
05-05-2006, 10:40 PM
This has gone from a good advice thread to one where random and false information is passed, as well as flaming, flaming, flaming.

Everybody's guilty, so this is closed.