PDA

View Full Version : Coaster PowerPoint

steel
04-19-2006, 09:22 PM
As much as I hate PowerPoint, I've been asked by my English teacher to prepare one on coasters to kick off the roller coaster unit.

It will start off with a POV of either TTD or KK.
Next will be some basic vocab, eg. G-forces, inverted, suspended, etc.

That's where you come in. What else should I include, considering that it needs to be 15 min. long?

DeKalb
04-19-2006, 09:36 PM
No gaudy animation!!! Keep it VERY simple!!
No letter-by-letter or word-by-word effects. Sometimes these are appropriate on titles but be very careful...
No "crawling".
Simple background.
Don't use clashing colours.
Don't make the letters blend in with the background. (this is prolly most common mistake)
Make sure the POV can be displayed correctly. Don't make it look pixel-ish (same for all pix). Video in PowerPoint can be tricky...
http://modblog.bmezine.com/entries/200603272058.html

Ryan F
04-19-2006, 09:37 PM
Break coasters down into two types: wooden and steel and go off into two sections
start with wooden coasters since it will be the smallest. Talk about tallest, longest, fastest, new ones, old ones, etc

Next break steel down into 2 types: looping and non-looping.
For non-looping talk about hypers, suspended, rocket, etc (even though they can have inversions). Give examples of each.
For looping talk about everything else...inverted, boomerangs, typical loopers, etc. Give examples of each.
Be sure to talk about longest, fastest, steepest, most inversions, etc

You can also have slides on about different types of inversions.

I'd also use a background of something along the lines of ariel view of a park

Pcw
04-19-2006, 09:37 PM
I'd say to get some catchy tunes to keep people interested for 15 minutes. When a coaster comes up, list a bunch of details around it (ie. type, elements, etc...). Just be creative, just don't get caught up being a coaster enthusiast and all (like saying manufacturers and boring facts the GP don't care about).

BTW, why is this for english?

VekomahangNbang
04-19-2006, 09:41 PM
A roller coaster unit? What kind of middle school do you go to?

I know they might do something like that at an Enginerring magnet or something, but what does it have to do with English, as Pcw said?

steel
04-19-2006, 09:48 PM
DeKalb - that's exactly why I hate PowerPoint. Too much stupid animation.
I'm mildly accomplished at inserting videos.
WildFyre - good ideas. I'll probably use that format.
Pcw - it isn't for English, I was just asked by my English teacher. We do the coaster unit in all the subjects.
VekomahangNbang - My school is divided into six teams - three 7th and three 8th - Alpha, Zephyr, and Dream for 7th and Navigators, Brainstormers, and Discovery for 8th. I'm on Navigators. We're the onyl team with a coaster unit. We have to build an actual coaster at home and we go to Adventureland in late May.

Martin
04-19-2006, 09:56 PM
It will start off with a POV of either TTD or KK.
If you happen to be looking for one, obviously many enthusiast sites have these, but just typing in Kindgda Ka or Top Thrill Dragster in Google Video should give you something worth while.

VekomahangNbang
04-19-2006, 10:17 PM
Alpha, Zephyr, and Dream for 7th and Navigators, Brainstormers, and Discovery for 8th. I'm on Navigators.

What corny names, especially Brainstormers. Most schools down here just use animals.

What do you do in this "coaster unit"

steel
04-20-2006, 05:41 PM
We have to build an actual coaster at home and we go to Adventureland in late May.
Viola.
Alpha and Zephyr are awesome names. All of them are better than the companion Junior High's: T, I, G, E, R, and S. :sick:

rlrcstrfreak
04-20-2006, 05:48 PM
make sure you have record breakers, that always sparks an interest in people.

Fastdawg07
04-20-2006, 05:57 PM
I don't know if this has been said already, but put a Top 5 in each category. Do research, not just your own opinion on what the best is. And with record-breakers, mention that CP has had 4 height records and countless others. The kids in your class will love that stuff.

VekomahangNbang
04-20-2006, 10:00 PM
Add Everest, people will think that looks cool.

steel
04-21-2006, 08:26 AM
Guys, remember that there is only so much space in each category. All I can do is a few facts and some record breakers.

And they won't think Everest is as cool as, say, Patriot, because it will be years before most of them even see Everest.

Fastdawg07, I'll try to do something like that at the end.

In other news, I got the video to work.

JamMasterJ
04-22-2006, 12:23 PM
You are so freakin' lucky that you have a coaster unit. I'm near-banned from connecting coasters, Wayne's World, or Alice Cooper from my school stuff. Of course, that was the reason for the Ohio project, to do coasters, and my teach said only a few. Bah!

siestakey
04-22-2006, 04:54 PM
YEah I know right, that would be so awesome, I would pass that class so easily...
*edit* where are you from? You should put something with coasters in your area. Or like, put pictures of construction of Kingda Ka, which you can get off of rcdb, and then put the POV of it. Show a woodie, then a steel hyper, then a looper, then a launcher and boomerang.
Here's what I would do:

Title
Kingda Ka construction 3-5 slides
Kingda Ka finished pics + POV
Wooden coaster random coaster pics, El Toro, Hades, Texas Giant, Voyage, 3-5 slides
Expedition Everest
Wooden Looper - Son of Beast 1 or 2 slides
Steel coasters, hypers, Nitro, Apollo's Chariot, Goliath
Steel loopers, GASM, Medusa (GAdv, SFMM)
Inverts, (the obvious one) BTR, Patriot, Alpengeist
Launched, boomerang, Deja Vu, Chillers, Joker's Jinx
K'nex, Colossus...just kidding lol
Then sum it all up.

DisGardeVersal
04-22-2006, 05:40 PM
If you have the time and the patience, try to get facts from all different perspectives of people. i.e., "TTD and KK are the greatest coasters on the planet" and the other perspective "TTD and KK are a total waste of money and nowhere near worth the effort." Just try to justify it, and not make the power point biased to your own opinions.

JamMasterJ
04-22-2006, 05:48 PM
Title
Kingda Ka construction 3-5 slides
Kingda Ka finished pics + POV
Wooden coaster random coaster pics, El Toro, Hades, Texas Giant, Voyage, 3-5 slides
Expedition Everest
Wooden Looper - Son of Beast 1 or 2 slides
Steel coasters, hypers, Nitro, Apollo's Chariot, Goliath
Steel loopers, GASM, Medusa (GAdv, SFMM)
Inverts, (the obvious one) BTR, Patriot, Alpengeist
Launched, boomerang, Deja Vu, Chillers, Joker's Jinx
K'nex, Colossus...just kidding lol
Then sum it all up.

Notice how siestakey including something from SFGAdv in just about every one of those:)jk lol. At least you're loyal to your home park, and therefore an honorable man.

steel
04-23-2006, 08:57 PM
Guys, remember, this can only be fifteen minutes.
This is my basic outline:
1.) Title Page
2.) Kingda Ka POV
3.) Basic Vocabulary (G-Forces, Traditional Coaster, Inverted/Suspended Coaster)
4.) Woodies - general info, Beast and SoB
5.) Nonlooping steel - general info, Steel Dragon 2000
6.) Steel looping - general info, Revolution and/or Colossus, maybe Dragon
7.) Boomerangs - general info, WoF Boomerang, Invertigo, Deja Vu
8.) Suspended - general info, Big Bad Wolf
9.) Inverted - general info, Alpie, Patriot, maybe B:TR
10.) LIM/LSM launched - general info, S:TE, V:TBC or FoF
11.) Rocket coaster - general info, TTD, KK, maybe Xcelerator or Storm Runner
12.) Website reccomendations (RCDB, RCDB, and RCDB)
13.) Overview

Pcw
04-23-2006, 09:10 PM
For #4, putting Beast and SoB isn't the best choice. Maybe put Beast and some hybrid coaster (I think that's what it's called, the woodies with metal supports). Have a better variety of rides.

BGWfanatic
04-23-2006, 09:24 PM
I think u should have at least a couple slides on the history of coasters. Maybe one on the early beginings, like the "Russian Mountains" aka giant manmade ice slides that people sliddown on sleds, and how they wanted that same thrill in the warmer months so they added wheels to the sleds and went down on wood ramps. the predecessor to the modern day roller coaster. And then a slide on the first golden age coasters. (turn of the century up until the great depression). Talk about Coney Island and some other classic parks.
That should add some variety to the presentation instead of this is this type of ride, and this is this type.
Oh, and this may sound elementary but talk about how the work, you know, gravity and such. lol

Fastdawg07
04-23-2006, 09:38 PM
For non-looping steel coasters, why have a SBNO when you could have Millennium Force which broke 10 records? I think that makes more sense than having a coaster that doesn't run anymore and I think its a name that a lot of people have heard.

JamMasterJ
04-23-2006, 09:45 PM
Yea Fastdawg is right, why would you put Steel Dragon in there when it's SBNO. Use Millie.

steel
04-24-2006, 08:40 AM
It isn't officially closed yet. For now, it's still taller than MF. Worry not, though, I'll have info on both of them.

In regards to the Beast/SoB comments...
Beast is in because it's long.
SoB is in because it's tall, fast, and has an inversion.
I'll add Avalanche and/or Hades.

Worm
04-27-2006, 09:20 AM
Its not worth it if we help you and you won't post it when your finished...;) ( this was just a way of saying you should post it when you are finished)

joedonuts1011
04-27-2006, 10:31 AM
I agree with BGWFanatic...you should include some history of roller coasters. This can be accomplished in one slide.

You have a pretty good progression. Make sure that your presentation is not wordy. The presentation is supposed to supplement what you are speaking about. And, you are NOT supposed to read the presentation word for word.

I am a HS computer teacher, and I do teach Power Point. I fail my students if they simply create a presentation and go up and read it word for word.

Another thing. Having music is OK. It shows you are proficient at importing multimedia into your presentation. However, don't let it play under you as you speak. Sometimes, it can drown you out and divert the attention of your audience. It would be different if you were going to play a short clip that was relevant. Or, for example, if you had appropriate music for each coaster, like the station music for MF. But, having a song play as you go through your presentation is a no-no.

Make sure your videos are short and to the point, too.

You should make references to the different types of speed and height records that have been broken throughout the years. This should take you to CP quite a bit. These are major accomplishments that should be noted.

As a summary, I would end with the future of this industry. Have we reached our limit? What technologies are being explored?

Hope this helps, and I know I would like to see your final presentation, even if it doesn't actually include your commentary.

steel
04-27-2006, 05:34 PM
^Great advice. Thanks a lot.

Once upon a time I loved PowerPoint. Then I took Communications/Media. Great class. Too much Microsoft.

steel
05-02-2006, 07:39 PM
Alright, guys, I'm totally redoing the whole thing. Ceck back later.

Martin
05-02-2006, 07:49 PM
I shall check back later. When is your PowerPoint presentation due?

steel
05-02-2006, 09:06 PM
Thursday. :o
Don't worry. I'm a master at PowerPoint.

This is the new format.
1.) Title
2.) POV Kingda Ka
3.) Coaster history
4.) Woodies
5.) Steel traditional
6.) Steel inverted/suspended
7.) Hypers - Stratas
8.) Other (flyers, 4th dimension, etc. The new stuff)
9.) Other basic stuff (info on forces)
10.) Ten reasons why people love coasters (HELP!!!!)
11.) Current record holders
12.) Reccomendations

UPDATE: The coaster unit has unnoficially started. I'll start a thread for discussion on that. I like to keep my fellow enthusiasts posted on this kind of thing.

coasterell
05-02-2006, 09:20 PM
I did a coaster powerpoint, for my senior thesis. It included a video of the Batman Coaster. It was pretty awesome!

BGWfanatic
05-02-2006, 09:30 PM
10.) Ten reasons why people love coasters (HELP!!!!)

1. An escape from the real world and all of its pressures!

steel
05-03-2006, 04:25 PM
For that slide...
First I'll say something like "People love coasters for more reasons than can be mentioned. There is no one thing that makes people love coasters."

EDIT: I'm DONE! I can't attatch it (too big). How can I show y'all?

RRollergod
05-04-2006, 06:56 PM
Host it on Rapidshare. sorry i do not have a link

sfft_2108
05-04-2006, 07:23 PM
Make a version with out the povs, if there is any, cause, we don't need to see that. Plus it will take forever to download of people like me. :)

Martin
05-04-2006, 08:22 PM
Here is the link for RapidShare. You can host it there:
http://www.ezshare.de/

steel
05-05-2006, 07:46 AM
Sorry to keep you all waiting, but apperently, I just finished the rough draft. I need to add a little more info on the records. I'll give you the version without the bio.

This is the link to the video I'm using. I don't think I posted it before.
http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23876&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I'll take that out for you guys.