PDA

View Full Version : Gwazi Retracking?

VekomahangNbang
05-03-2006, 05:34 PM
When I went to BGT yesterday, Gwazi Lion was closed and upon further inspection it appeared as if the ride was being retracked. Some of the wood on the side of the track was gone in places, and there were all sorts of tools on the track. I don't have any pictures, but I did sent it to Screamscape and maybe they can hunt down some pictures of it.

willski2002
05-03-2006, 08:56 PM
Crap!

That makes both dueling/racing coasters in Florida closed when I'm there!

Was Gwazi Tiger closed, or just Lion? I haven't been on Tiger yet, and I only went on Lion once-that was 5 years ago.

VekomahangNbang
05-03-2006, 08:58 PM
Tiger is open still. Maybe they might be retracking that one too afterward. I'm not even sure Lion's being retracked, it just looks like it.

trainguy83
05-04-2006, 12:14 AM
PRAISE THE LORD!!!!...Gwazi need retracking like a crazy person...I rode it once and that was it for my, my back and neck hurt like crazy and it gave me more of a headache then shiekra and mission space combined. I would love to see B&M retrracking this baby and making it smooth like it should be.

bk2004
05-04-2006, 12:43 AM
When I rode the two, I had high anticipation...and after getting off was kinda disapointed. It wansn't that rough to me, just not very fun at all...not like they've been building them now at least.

whipster56
05-04-2006, 07:31 AM
PRAISE THE LORD!!!!...Gwazi need retracking like a crazy person...I rode it once and that was it for my, my back and neck hurt like crazy and it gave me more of a headache then shiekra and mission space combined. I would love to see B&M retrracking this baby and making it smooth like it should be.
B&M doesn't do wooden coasters. GCI built Gwazi. Maybe you're thinking about Kumba.

jimths08
05-04-2006, 07:35 AM
I was there a month ago, Lion was closed but I noticed no wood. Of course, I'm not familiar with the park that much to know normal operations.

Tiger in the back really wasn't that bad. There was still floater airtime and it gave a better ride than some CCIs like say, Boss.

Carowinds 73-03
05-04-2006, 07:49 AM
That would be awesome if both were retracked just intime for my visit next fall. I've never been to BGT before so i'm really looking foward to it.

Katie
05-04-2006, 07:56 AM
Well when you run both coasters year round since 1999, it's bound to need re-tracking. I was at BGT back in December and Tiger was running awesome! Lion on the other hand was washboarding like crazy!

These poor coasters need a lot of TLC when it comes to woodies you have to have patience and it needs a break at times. GCII's aren't rough, but when you have weather like FL and run it all year with no significant break like up North, you are bound to have it run a little crappy.

Sir Willow
05-04-2006, 08:15 AM
They constantly will work on retracking small portions of each side of Gwazi. It was interesting when I was working there trying to spot what parts of the ride had some new wood since they seemed to do another small portion of it every other week or so. The problem is that they need to close both sides of it and do a longer more extensive rehab if they're going to totally smooth it out again. Hard to do when the park is open every day of the year.

Willski, I'm sure that they'll have at least one side open for you. And if you're there on a Saturday (which I think you said you would be), then they'll likely have both sides open for you. They normally do the one-side-closed routine during the week and have them both open on the weekends, even when they're working on them.

VekomahangNbang
05-05-2006, 07:58 AM
^How long have they been doing this now?

Sir Willow
05-05-2006, 08:27 AM
^ They've been doing it for at least a couple of years now. Couldn't say before that as that's how long I've been in the area.

Joe16
05-05-2006, 03:33 PM
They VERY rarely actually 'duel' the 2 anyhow, so you're really not missing that effect by one being closed. I've been to BGT at least 10 times in the past 2 years and have seen them duel only once, and the effect is no where near what it is on Dueling Dragons.

VekomahangNbang
05-05-2006, 03:42 PM
The first time I went to BGT is January both were open. And that's in the low point of the season. I think if they are going to retack it they should close it January through however long it takes. That way they can get it all done.

cannonballer
05-06-2006, 12:46 AM
NO NOT JANURARY! that is when I am going! lol

Is the crowds decent then?

I hope they have both sides running when I am there. The last time I rode it was in march the first year it opened!

trainguy83
05-06-2006, 12:50 AM
B&M doesn't do wooden coasters. GCI built Gwazi. Maybe you're thinking about Kumba.

I know GCI built Gwazi they are based where my extended family is in Sunbury,PA. But what I was saying was I wish B&M would retrack Gwazi or redo it, and I know they don't do woodies but I wish they would try one because they would be amazing at it I'm sure.

Sir Willow
05-06-2006, 09:47 AM
If you've heard their comments about wood coasters though, then you wouldn't want them to do it. Walter was asked about it a few times here in Tampa, and he's convinced that wood coasters are supposed to be rough and thrash around. Additionally, since it's not their area of expertise, you'd be essentially asking someone who doesn't know what they're doing to do the work. Steel fabrication is much, much differnent then working wood. Better idea to ask one of the wood coaster builders like Gravity Group to do it.

Great example of why B&M shouldn't do wood: the trains on Psyclone at SFMM, which track horribly and are far to heavy. Not good wood coaster trains at all. Since then they've stayed away from wood, and that's a good thing.

JamMasterJ
05-06-2006, 10:58 AM
Yeah, we wouldn't want it to be anything like Psyclone. Those trains are really bad. I hope they bring in the Gravity Group to do it, we know that tey'd do a good job.

trainguy83
05-06-2006, 05:01 PM
Yeah wood and steel are two totally different fields but I think they could do it with the right people backing them, but you are right gravity group would do a great job. All I want is someone to make it nice again.

Komatz70
05-07-2006, 06:29 AM
I have still yet to figure out what is so bad about Gwazi...yes, its not a smooth as it once was, but I have rode Mean Streak, now that coaster gave me a headache...

Sir Willow
05-07-2006, 08:21 AM
Some just find it to shake and bump to much for them.

Personally, I really enjoy Gwazi, as does my son, and we'll usually take at least a couple of rides together twhen we're there. My wife and daughter can't stand it- the shaking is to much for them.

In honesty though, I don't ride in the back very often, and if I do I'll be done after a couple of rides. It can be a hard, almost brutal ride back there sometimes.

willski2002
05-07-2006, 09:04 PM
Gwazi isn't (or wasn't) bad when I last rode it (April 8, 2001, the day that began it all.......yeah). It was dueling back then, and the line was only halfway down the Lion side ramp, so we figured it would be a nice 15-20 minutes wait.

Wrong. The inefficient crew first waited for everyone to leave the station, then unlocked the restraints and allowed riders to board. First, seatbelts were fastened and then checked, which took nearly 2-3 minutes due to athe attendants being large and very slow. Then, the restraints were pulled down and the attendants slowly checked them. Once the train was ready, the head op had to wait for the other side to be ready, giving an average load time of 10 minutes. Even with two trains on both sides, a very short 250-300 person line took a full two hours, which meant that I didn't get more rides on Gwazi that day (including the Tiger side, which I still haven't ridden).

The ride was good and smooth, but (and this was the day I became an enthusiast, I was a big chicken before that day) I just put my head down and held on tight for the entire ride. Thus, my memory of Gwazi is a bit fuzzy since all I really saw was the floor for most of the ride.

trainguy83
05-07-2006, 10:44 PM
Ya Ill ride it again if they fix it but not till then. Heck I would rather right python then ride gwazi again.

JamMasterJ
05-07-2006, 10:44 PM
Re-tracking is a blessed thing, go ride PKD's Hurler to find out.

VekomahangNbang
05-07-2006, 10:58 PM
Did they retrack Hurler?

BGWfanatic
05-07-2006, 11:00 PM
^ Yes. They did.

Joseph
05-08-2006, 12:03 AM
I find Gwazi to be pretty rough, and sometimes borderline terrible, but still kind of fun. It has its good days and bad days, more bad than anything, but that's ok.

Why are people suggesting that the Gravity Group retrackes the ride. IMHO it's a GCII ride and they are still around, so let them do it. They track as well as anyone, but honestly I think its the PTCs on a GCII layout that hurt the ride more than anything. I mean, they DID develop the Millennium Flyers for a reason ;) Of course, MFs are very expensive trains, so would Busch really want to drop probably $3-4 million on new trains?

FLCC Josh
05-08-2006, 10:30 AM
Both sides were up and operational yesterday....AND, get this....they were dueling.

Sir Willow
05-08-2006, 11:31 AM
** gasps in astonishment ** no way, they were actually dueling them...

You know I'm going to be grilling you this weekend about that Josh. :)

CoasterGuy210
05-08-2006, 01:09 PM
I have season passes to BGA and i would say there had only been three times i have gone in the past two years that the trains were not dueling....maybe i just pick good days to go. And I don't think that Gwazi is that rough, my mom and I ride it at least 5 times everytime we go and it is always a blast. Hurricane at the pavilion is rougher but it is closing so if u want to see what a real rough coaster is go ride it. It is my fav....I guess I just like it rough...but I am also a smaller bodied person so it probably doens't afect me as much.

Komatz70
05-08-2006, 02:27 PM
In the last 3 years I have only seen them dueling about 3 times....and my wife works there...you picked a good day...

CoasterGuy210
05-08-2006, 04:58 PM
okay thanks for the heads up i hope you didn't jinx me now.

Sir Willow
05-09-2006, 08:51 AM
In 2 years I've caught exactly 1 ride where they dueled. And that was almost an accident as they just happened to dispatch both sides at the same time. Outside of that one ride I have yet to be there on a day where both sides weren't running individually without regard to what was happening on the other side.

As for them purposely dueling both sides, and especially throughout a day, I haven't seen it, and I don't believe that it's part of the normal procedures anymore. And that's with being out at the park at least once every 2-3 weeks, often more, and riding a bunch before and after my work shifts when I was working there.

FLCC Josh
05-09-2006, 01:07 PM
Wait George...it gets weirder...
The ride ops that were working panel were all like... "Lion side are you READY!!" and everyone would yell....then they'd ask "Tiger side..are you gonna take that from the Lion side!!??" It was great to see them having some fun with it. I would have never believed it, but I was there.

Coaster Nana
05-09-2006, 02:59 PM
The ride ops that were working panel were all like... "Lion side are you READY!!" and everyone would yell....then they'd ask "Tiger side..are you gonna take that from the Lion side!!??"

The first year or so that it was open they were doing that everytime we went, about once a month or so. If one side was slower loading than the other for any reason, they would wait and start them together. Fly-bys are so good! ;)

Sir Willow
05-09-2006, 03:38 PM
Wow. Hope they start doing that on a more regular basis. That would be awesome. Almost sounds like something from the twilight zone since I haven't even heard about them doing that.

hey, maybe we should try something like that on the DB Hurricane this weekend... Front of the train, are you going to take that from the back of the train? :D

CoasterGuy210
05-09-2006, 04:05 PM
LoL, man i missed that much enthusiasm...that would be sweet..really get the people going before the ride.