PDA

View Full Version : TN's stance on POVs, and the Privacy Policy

Coastercameron
05-09-2006, 05:14 PM
Steven has stated that this site will assist parks in banning individuals who post evidence of POV videos and such. The way it was worded makes me think that this is an admission that TN knowingly ignores and does not follow its own Privacy Policy on the site. For this site to assist parks in banning these individuals, they would have to get information unavalible to public users of this site, but accessable to site admin. This is very troubling and disturbing if this is true, and could likely be illegal of TN. Please help me resolve this.

Bowserjoe
05-09-2006, 05:53 PM
All they need is someone's IP address, and the cops can find out who they are.

Cameraman
05-09-2006, 05:56 PM
Did you even read the post?

AlexC
05-09-2006, 05:58 PM
An IP is still private information...

Bowserjoe
05-09-2006, 06:00 PM
Did you even read the post?
No I didn't read it. Of course I read it! Just because some people are stupid doesn't mean I am.

TexasTornadoRules
05-09-2006, 06:01 PM
I beg to differ.

AlexC
05-09-2006, 06:01 PM
So you read the post.
You replied to the post.
You ignored the post.

of course, I'm stupid so I wouldn't understand :D

Coastercameron
05-09-2006, 06:07 PM

Thanks for pointing that out. The police would need a search warrent to legally get my IP from ThrillNetwork, so why should TN be selling it's soul and OFFERING up info like this to parks for a good relationship.

AlexC
05-09-2006, 06:09 PM
Its us whos stupid. Didn't you read his post?

Steven
05-09-2006, 06:10 PM
http://www.thrillnetwork.com/tos.php

This includes the updated policy, and is only shared when the park requests it. We do not volunteer it.

The agreement was made to deal with this stuff in 2003. However, we have not had this problem until now when one of your fellow members posted a video that the park wanted removed and the member banned.

Coastercameron
05-09-2006, 06:13 PM
Thanks! That is great Steven! That would be the policy I'm talking about, complete with paragraph stating TN will never share personally identifiable information without written consent. Now, can someone come out and adress my concern?

Coastercameron
05-09-2006, 06:19 PM
I do see the updated portion of the Privacy Policy that is nullified by a paragraph above it. Even so, ThrillNetwork or it's staff does not have the power to deem anyone guilty of breaking ANY law, or most park rules. Being a bystander, you cannot prove of anyone on this forum taking any action in the outside world. Even if someone claims they did something, TN cannot prove that they actually did it. No statements on this forum are under oath. Furthermore, I find it shamefull and despicable that this site would so easily share private and personal information. It takes 1.) a court order 2.) an assumption of wrongdoing on a TN employee's part to release private information. There is clearly a HUGE gap here.

Steven
05-09-2006, 06:29 PM
Only if the member has clearly broken a rule or law can we share it. The member clearly broke rider safety laws in the state, plus the member also violated park rules. While we did not report this to the park, they contacted us, and per the agreement we had made in 2003 to do this (after the death on Raven), we complied.

It is much like a park can throw you out for suspected wrongdoing... the law does not have to necessarily be involved.

Also, for the record, we only shared the member name and the person's full name, as available by public whois of his domain from his website, and TN content wasn't used.

Coastercameron
05-09-2006, 06:30 PM
I also want to mention that the TOS was deceptively changed in the last couple of hours, but marked as 4-8-2006. That is classy. http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:NzAOqjszP1cJ:www.thrillnetwork.com/tos.php+thrillnetwork+privacy+policy&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1

Google's cache from Friday, nearly a month after the TOS was supposedly updated shows no sign of this.

This also means that the TOS was not updated to include your new, poorly written Park Rule rule when you released Jimmy's info to Holiday World.

I never expected a site like this to sink so low.

Coastercameron
05-09-2006, 06:32 PM
Well Steven, prove that the video in that post was the one who took that video. Could he not have stolen the footage from an unknown source and bluffed it as his own.

I have no problem with TN as a site banning this individual, but sharing information that was agreed to be kept private is ridiculous.

Steven
05-09-2006, 06:35 PM
Because the TOS was finally pushed to the live website today. So, by your definition, we were still in full compliance of the Privacy Policy (as per my above post in terms of what information was shared). No IP or email address within our records was shared.

You want to know what info I shared with her (this is publicly available I might add)... I'll post it here if you like...

<removed at contact's request... but note that if you don't want it posted anywhere... don't make your whois info on your domain public>

Coastercameron
05-09-2006, 06:36 PM
Be my guest. I'm only going on what you SAID you would do for the parks.

Sir Willow
05-09-2006, 06:38 PM
When you signed onto the site, you agreed to abide by the TOS. As such, when you post, you enter into a binding contract saying that you agree with the terms- which includes those provisions.

Since you agreed, you are thereby giving TN permission to share that information with a park when they request it on suspicion that you have violated the park rules and/or law. So no, it doesn't take a court order. You agreed to it.

When you post up a video of onride footage, and especially when you claim that footage is your own, if it's done without park permission (and in most cases that's pretty obvious), then you're in violation of the rules and as such- per your agreeing to the TOS when you signed on, if the park requests your information it will be provided to the park.

Or put another way- the relationships with the parks, and abiding by their rules in every way possible is much more important to this site than a couple of people who take it upon themselves to flagrantly violate known rules and policies. If you don't like it, to bad. Don't want to have a problem with it, then don't be stupid and take your camera on a ride. Or be even stupider and post up your on-ride footage and/or pictures somewhere, and especially not here.

edit- as for the "new" provision suddenly appearing on the TOS, keep in mind that this has been openly discussed on the forums for quite some time. It is well known and has been talked about in relation to several rides and parks. There is no secret. Jimmy knew in advance that he was violating the rules, and even said so. Yet he did it anyways. So why the shock. Seems rather obvious to me. Act stupid you read the consequences of your actions.

And please, the footage was obviously his and not pirated from someone else. Give it a rest.

Sir Willow
05-09-2006, 06:48 PM
Don't let the door hit you on the way out...

Gee, sad that some don't get common sense, or how to abide by rules. Or that when you don't, you're biting your own butt. Dur

TexasTornadoRules
If we were to suddenly start banning anyone and everyone who posted POVs, I'd imagine half of this site would need to be banned. Off the top of my head, I can think of at least 3 staff members who have posted POVs somewhere at some point. All 3 of those staff members are still posting POVs when they get the chance.

If TN starts a "witch hunt," it may lead to better relationships with parks, but it may also lead ot TN's demise. There is a certain coaster site that seems to have a great relationship with a certain park in Ohio, but the majority of people that have heard of said site hate it because of it's nazi owner.

Coastercameron
George, when I joined this site on opening day, I IN NO WAY agreed to have my personal information accessable to anyone who works for a park.

As for the "new" provision in the TOS, I don't scour the boards to look for the latest revisions to the TOS. I am much more advanced then that, I simply READ THE TOS. It is unbelievable that TN started enforcing provisions of the TOS that wern't part of the published TOS at the time.

Furthermore:

The WHOIS look ups I did declined to include the street adress and phone number of the registrant.

Due to the new policy inacted TODAY (you can continue with the line about "it is effective when we say, we will put it online when we feel like it")

THIS WILL OFFICIALLY BE MY LAST POST AT THRILL NETWORK.

Due to your new approch of granting medium management at amusement parks around the world the same access to personal information as a federal agent with a search warrent signed by a judge, I feel that I can no longer risk having personal information, including my IP adress, stored on this site.

It is too much of a risk, in this time of identity thieft to have my personal information avalible to any park manager with an axe to grind.

This is truely selling out in the most basic definition of the phrase.

Shame on you, Thrill Network.

Sir Willow
05-09-2006, 06:57 PM
Nice redo of your last post there. :)

It is too much of a risk, in this time of identity thieft to have my personal information avalible to any park manager with an axe to grind.
Simple solution- don't take a camera on a ride illegally, and don't be an idiot and post your pics or video on a forum that explicity bans it, and you won't have that problem. Simple enough?

Funny, I also did a whois myself, and I turned up the same information as Steven. Which site did you do it with? That may make a difference.

This "new" provision is not something that just cropped up, contrary to your assertions. It's been around for a couple of years now, and has not been secret, and was not suddenly thrust upon you. Shame on you for not paying attention to the other times that it's been talked about or that links were removed. If James himself knew it was coming, as was obvious, then there isn't any excuse.

And especially in light of Holiday World being very open and loud about the no cameras policy.

Oh, TXTornado- please, tell me which staff members have done so (in a PM or IM) and links. I'd certainly like to know which ones were done illegaly and without permission, because apparently I missed that (it does happen). I wouldn't mind being able to follow up on that.

Steven
05-09-2006, 06:59 PM
It's not by any means a witch hunt... we're not going to go actively policing for this stuff. However, if you intend to break park rules or state laws on this site, from now on, don't post on this site.

Cameron apparently feels he must.

Lastly, dnsstuff.com is an excellent tool, and is where I got my info.

TexasTornadoRules
05-09-2006, 07:31 PM
Oh, TXTornado- please, tell me which staff members have done so (in a PM or IM) and links. I'd certainly like to know which ones were done illegaly and without permission, because apparently I missed that (it does happen). I wouldn't mind being able to follow up on that.

I'd actually like to keep that information to myself because I don't want to get anyone in trouble. I'm sure you know of 2 of them, though.

VekomahangNbang
05-09-2006, 08:32 PM
So why was he banned?

Steven
05-09-2006, 08:33 PM
See our ban list, VekomahangNbang.

That's your answer, and that's all you'll get.

VekomahangNbang
05-09-2006, 08:40 PM
I mean Cameron, not that other guy.

And you didn''t give Cameron a reason for his banning. He didn't violate the ToS.

Steven
05-09-2006, 10:24 PM
We don't have to give a reason (see post #1 in the ban list)... we're not obligated to.

Anyway, the thread has run it's course.