PDA

View Full Version : Search?

sfft_2108
06-16-2006, 02:43 PM
Is it just me or does the "search" place not always work? I type something in there that I want to find and a blank page comes up. Some times It works some times It doesn't.

Katie
06-16-2006, 05:10 PM
I just tried it, and it worked fine. Try logging out of the site to clear out the cookies and then try again. If you get further issues, let Steven know ASAP so he can look at it.

Steven
06-16-2006, 07:47 PM
...or Graham.

Graham
06-17-2006, 08:07 PM
I've never had this happen. To be able to debug your problem I need some more information though. Also what "search place" are you talking about; is it the database search page, the forums search (in witch case there isnít too much we can do), the google search page, the news search page, or any other I forgot about?

Johnny Upsidedown
06-17-2006, 09:04 PM
I had the same problem earlier this week or last week.

It was strange if you put in a search topic sometimes it would work and other times not. I thought it might be becuase I was spelling something the software didnt recognize. I was searching for Que as in a que line for a ride still not sure on the spelling of that word..
I was using the basic search from the forums main page. The search part that searchs the forum boards not the google search at the very top. Just tried several different times worked okay. Maybe it had to do with the yahoo virsus or what ever that was earlier this week I thought i heard something about.

Graham
06-17-2006, 10:02 PM
Well, the forum search works by indexing certain words in posts. To save on disk space the forum software does not index common words. Apparently the word "que" is one of the 500+ words that are not indexed and thus are not searchable.

Katie
06-17-2006, 10:20 PM
Queue is a searchable word though. Just a random thought...

Steven
06-17-2006, 10:35 PM
Another thing too, is that if you include certain words that are too general, it may freeze up. Say you search for "roller coaster"... it's going to go nuts (in firefox it asked to download search.php).

It helps to keep your search as narrow as possible, and make use of the "advanced search" where you can narrow it down to forums.

sfft_2108
06-18-2006, 01:50 AM
I typed in "Favorite Roller Coaster Type" in the quick search on the top of the page and I was sent to this... http://thrillnetwork.com/boards/search.php
Nothing came up. Just a white blank page.

Then I went to the advanced search typed in the same thing. The same thing happen. Blank page.

Instead of "search entire post" I put "search titles only"

Finally it came to what I was looking for.

Steven
06-18-2006, 02:28 AM
The problem lies in the words "Roller" and "Coaster". They are just way too common. So, after discussing this with Graham, we decided to exclude those words from the vBulletin search. In fact, vBulletin recommends that this be done for common words such as those. While it sucks, it's a necessary move.

You may want to use the search at the very top instead when searching for anything using those words, since that's powered by Google.