PDA

View Full Version : Gaylord Opryland

coasterfreakk
07-24-2006, 07:19 PM
I found an article in the local nashville paper today about gaylord hotels wanting land for a big project in nashville .The company shutdown opyland in 97 and I belive they may want to rebuild the park as they have got their trademake for the theme park active as of last year . Here is the article tell me what you make of it..
http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060724/NEWS05/607240344

Dukeis#1
07-24-2006, 07:29 PM
I really don't want to see Gaylord Entertainment build another park...they had their chance and failed with Opryland.

Besides, a new Opryland just wouldn't be the same.

bk2004
07-24-2006, 07:49 PM
...they had their chance and failed with Opryland.

Thats how I feel, they had their chance and didn't want it...and now they do??

Michael C
07-24-2006, 09:33 PM
While they had there chance true it didn't fail. the park was very good and fairly successful. Though they gave up on the Business. Who would of though that Closing a theme park and Building a mall would hurt Tourism.

i agree I don't want to see this happen to a point. I woudl liek to see Opryland back. allot of the park is still there The Chute ride and rapids rides are there and many of the paths and some building. You can see it from the Hotel which is amazing.

But I think the town could use a park back. So for them I hope he dose it.

cannonballer
07-25-2006, 02:10 AM
Anythings possible guys, why always so negetive?

Its obvious Gaylord now knows they nade a nistake and its hurting their hotel business, it only make sense to revive teh old way if it worked! they are saying year round though and a year round park in tennessee? I dont know what that could be. It gets too cold for outside attractions in teh winter!

Michael C
07-25-2006, 01:52 PM
Doesn't Dollywood stay open The majority of the year. I'm fairly sure they are open through Christmas and then close for like 2 months I think.

Wes
07-25-2006, 01:56 PM
^ You are correct. They open in April and go till Dec 31.

I think Gaylord is an idiot for what he did to Opryland Park. it wasn't the best park, but it was very nice I thought.

Now that his stupid mall is not doing well that he put on that land he wants to build another park. Thanks a lot!

I'd rather see Dollywood come in and build a park.

Michael C
07-25-2006, 02:14 PM
Dolly wood is Run by Herscheld(Silver dollar City) family Ent. and they doa fantastic Job. So I agree I trust them more.

I have heard a number of good things about the park. It wasn't a Busch Gardens or Disney level but it was a good park. Well done themed areas and a reasonably good ride selection. on pare with the original SFi parks.

BGWfanatic
07-25-2006, 02:26 PM
Its obvious Gaylord now knows they nade a nistake and its hurting their hotel business, it only make sense to revive teh old way if it worked! they are saying year round though and a year round park in tennessee? I dont know what that could be. It gets too cold for outside attractions in teh winter!
perhaps an indoor waterpark could be in the works? if Im not mistaken I dont think Nashville has one, and I think that would work perfectly for that area.

Michael C
07-25-2006, 03:02 PM
perhaps an indoor waterpark could be in the works? if Im not mistaken I dont think Nashville has one, and I think that would work perfectly for that area.

While an indoor water park might prove profitable it will do little to nothing for Tourism. It might get the locals but who would honestly travel for it.

coasterfreakk
07-25-2006, 06:09 PM
I have checked out the area they aready own and it is a very large area .It is bigger than the old theme park area .the land they wanted to buy from the church would have been for over flow parking or buses cause its not that big .
They want something year round I think a theme park would almost work year round except the months of jan and feb they are the coldest.

Dukeis#1
07-25-2006, 06:15 PM
Nashville's News Channel 5 had a story on Gaylord's plans. Below is the video. (Apparently you have to watch a 15-second commercial before the actual story)

http://video.newschannel5.com/Global/Video...p;clipid=884249

Michael C
07-25-2006, 06:49 PM
That Video wouldn't load for me but here is the text from the news story that I located on that news site.

Gaylord recently tried to buy a 16-acre site near Two Rivers Baptist Church. The church said no, but the attempt had some thinking Gaylord might be attempting to put another theme park in the area.

"I'm sure anything, like I said, that fits into their category of entertainment and hotels, they'll look at it. But I don't think they'll jump at just anything that comes along,” Metro Councilman J.B. Loring said.

Gaylord closed the Opryland theme park in 1997 to make way for the Opry Mills mall.

Gaylord and Two Rivers Baptist both refused to talk Monday about the land deal.

Gaylord Entertainment owns more than 100 acres near the intersection of McGavock Pike and Briley Parkway near the Opryland Resort and Convention Center.

Leo C
07-25-2006, 07:11 PM
It would be nice to correct a wrong I think. It's sad to see the original park go.

cannonballer
07-27-2006, 04:04 AM
perhaps an indoor waterpark could be in the works? if Im not mistaken I dont think Nashville has one, and I think that would work perfectly for that area. Eh, Nashville already has a waterpark! Though its not indoors its a unique one. Unique because though it has slides and such it doesnt focus so much on them as otehr things you would never expect from a water park (see link) http://www.nashvilleshores.com/

If an indoor waterpark is ALL they have in mind I am sad to say it won twork. They need somthing bigger and better than JUST that!

Michael C
07-27-2006, 10:29 AM
I have to agree. Your in the south and you have a Farly long year for outdoor water attractions and unless the weather is terrible or it's winter and indoor water park is not needed. A park people just don't care they will go. But unless it has some amazing attractions he's not going o get many tourists and in turn not allot of extra Guests in that hotel

rich12_16
08-01-2006, 07:25 PM
I hope to see this park open up again.

It was sad to see i go,

I dont remember much of it, but we usually went while visiting relatves durring the 4th of july.

Michael C
08-01-2006, 11:08 PM
Do you have any pics you could share?

coasterfreakk
08-02-2006, 04:24 PM
I think they may be waiting to see what six flags is going to do. If they sell or close some more parks which we all know they are talking about it gaylord ent. could show up to buy some rides.Kind of weird how things work opyland closed and sf bought all the rides now sf is closing park and opryland could buy back some of the old rides. Thats just my take on what could happen.

Wes
08-02-2006, 04:34 PM
^^ This guy's got a ton of pics.

http://www.pbase.com/deadelvis/oprylandusa

I've got some here as well...

http://community.webshots.com/album/552774527LhXtdq - 1982
http://community.webshots.com/album/433745135TRlDWE - 1989

Michael C
08-02-2006, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the links. i had seen a fan site at one time. the park looked like a nice park. i wouldn't put it in Disney level but in the upper end of theme parks.

I love DW
08-02-2006, 10:20 PM
I don't know wether I would want Opryland to do another theme park or not. Yes I would love a new theme park in Nashville and by now I think Opryland should know what they did wrong. But one reason I don't want a theme park what if it fails again. If it's going to fail who wants it and since they have failed to keep the other one open who knows what will happen with another. On the mall thing I think the mall was a good bussiness move for them because that probably makes them more money than the theme park did and it is less up keep.

cannonballer
08-02-2006, 10:40 PM
Actually teh Mall was a bad decision. The park was a whole lot more succesfull and they lost tons of revenue. The park was making good money at teh time of the closure so teh park actually didnt fail, it was just taken down for new development. Wish should have never happened

tntornadox
08-02-2006, 11:05 PM
Folks, let's put it this way- Gaylord closed Opryland because it was out of room for expansion...if they added anything, something had to be taken out...(i.e. Tin Lizzies for Hangman (Now Kong at SFMW)..

The park was getting older, and the buildings needed some renovations, and they just simply decided that it would be more profitable to put in a venture that would (they thought) make them more money, on a year-round basis...

Fast forward a few years, and Gaylord sold its shares of Opry Mills back to the Mills Corp., apparently, it didn't make much money either..Grand Ole Opry attendence dropped, as did reservations for the General Jackson Showboat. But the worst hurt was the Opryland Hotel.. Occupancy rates fell from the upper 80 percentile to the lower 40's! That is very bad for a hotel with over 2,000 rooms! Especially considering how much upkeep the gardens costs, and having all of those employees on hand...something had to be done...If anyone can remember the hotel from just 2-4 YEARS AGO, it was still more a family resort...the problem was...there was nothing to do for the family! Since then, Gaylord Hotels has shifted its focus to the upscale, largescale convention niche, which seems to be working well for them..

The truth is, Gaylord made a mistake, it knows and will reveal that fact to anyone today...I think a new Opryland is entirely possible...and I am sure they are considering it...

trainguy83
08-03-2006, 12:15 AM
I still have sitting up on my collectors shelf a Hangman Sovin. Mug thingy that has a teal lid and the hangman logo on it that I got my 7th grade year on a church summer choir tour I think that was 1995 or 96. Man the memorys...we actually sang at the park that summer.

I love DW
08-03-2006, 12:22 AM
The good thing is if Opryland built a new park they would definetly have to stay on there toes because Dollywood would be steady computition for them. So that right there would be interesting.

tntornadox
08-03-2006, 12:39 AM
I was thinking- what if HFEC/Dolly went into this new park in sort of a partnership with Gaylord? It could bring the Opry name to Dollywood, and the quality of HFEC to Opryland!

(Dolly has expressed interest in a Nashville park previously)

I love DW
08-03-2006, 12:58 AM
Honestly it wouldn't be a bad idea for Opry to join with HFEC/Dolly for the new park. But the Opry name would not benefit Dollywood at all. Because the name Dolly is more known around the world than Opry actually.

tntornadox
08-03-2006, 01:28 AM
I'm thinking more of "Opry at Dollywood" type festival or shows, have Opry stars at the park, etc...

I love DW
08-03-2006, 01:35 AM
Ok I understand now. I thought you meant to change the park name at first. But yes that would be a really good idea. Because like you have said Dolly has expressed interest in a Nashville park. And since she lives in Nashville she could stop by often and that way it would get even more press.

What does everyone else think of this idea?

Michael C
08-03-2006, 09:47 PM
The partnership deal isn't all that bad an idea. At least the chance of the park closing again would be zero to nun because if he chickened out again HFEC and Dolly would just buy him out.

My father went to a couple Conventions at that Hotel around 5 years ago or so. From that I've heard it's a pretty amazing hotel.

tntornadox
08-03-2006, 10:39 PM
I would say it is one of, if not the best hotel in Tennessee, and perhaps the Southeastern U.S..

And I don't think a partnership or a new park in Nashville would hurt Dollywood in anyway, even if they parks are similar...(Showparks)...reason? They draw different customers. People go to Dollywood if they are going to the Smokies or Pigeon Forge, and people would go to Opryland if they were in Nashville, or at a conference in the Hotel...I don't see much hurt happening either way

I love DW
08-04-2006, 12:28 AM
But all the people that will have equal driving distances will more than likely make a choice between the two and may not go to both. It would hurt one of the parks at least a little. I would say if Opryland does reopen they will have to do really good in what they add to the park because there is a lot of people that pass through Nashville to get to Dollywood and may not stop. I pass through Nashville when I go to Dollywood and more than likely I will not ever visit the park. If I do visit it will be once and that's it. I visit Dollywood 20 - 25 times a year though. I don't know but one good things for both parks if they are that close it will be good because it's competion and that will keep both of them on there toes. Wich means additions every year and that is better for all of us.

Michael C
08-04-2006, 04:19 PM
It wouldn't hurt that much. If the park reopened Dolly Might loose a little business the first couple year. people checking out the new kid on the block sort of thing. Dolly wood like pointed out in it's thread is in its own tourist area and pulls from those tourists just like this park would pull from it's local tourism.

Now if they are partnered They can offer two park passes and Things of that nature that would entice people to visit both parks. Something like this might help get Dollywood to that 5 million visitor mark there apparently shooting for.

I love DW
08-23-2006, 11:26 PM
^Actually yes that would help and would be a great idea. Really the only thing they have like that now is if you buy a Gold Season Pass you get into Silver Dollar City for free. But they are so far apart it doesn't really help to sell them that much.

Kbangbang
08-25-2006, 04:44 PM
I personally would love to see a theme park in Nashville...especially since I spend weeks at a time there and the mall just insn't that interesting other than the bass pro shop.

There is a miniature park kinda like santa's land and such on the outerbanks of nashville that I have been to before. Don't remember the name and don't know if it's still there or not.

but I would love to see something open up in that area.

I love DW
09-03-2006, 03:11 AM
I would like to see Opryland come back just to see what it would be like. What would they do this time to make it different? What would a new location be like were you couldn't walk from the hotel? Since the mall is there it ruins any close location that you could walk to. I guess though if this rumor is true we will find out.

Michael C
09-04-2006, 06:02 PM
Well Hopefully if the park is reopened and re-imagined the mall will be cut back a bit so a better park can be built. but keep in mind magic kingdom is only 55 acres.

Dukeis#1
09-04-2006, 06:44 PM
^The rumored site for "Opryland II" is actually across the Briley Parkway from the hotel and mall.

I don't think a new park would be built on the exact site of the old one. The mall's parking lot would have to be reworked since it takes up most of Opryland's former area.

I love DW
09-07-2006, 07:03 PM
Plus I don't see them getting rid of that mall to try there hand at another theme park.

Michael C
09-07-2006, 07:56 PM
i didn't expect them to either. we need a time machine to stop him from making the dumb move in the first place.

coasterfreakk
09-08-2006, 04:24 PM
They don't own the mall anymore so they can't do anything to it.After looking at some of the indoor water parks in the country I think that will be what they will do. With little or no room for add on to the hotel I think they will do something like castaway bay or wolf lodge resort with a water park.I hope i'm wrong but I guess will all just have to wait and see when it happens .

I love DW
09-08-2006, 07:46 PM
^I would like to see an indoor waterpark, attached to a outdoor theme park. That way you can visit the theme park and water park in the spring, summer and fall then you can still enjoy the water park in the winter.

Tanks4me05
09-08-2006, 09:18 PM
Why just have an indoor waterpark? Put the whole thing indoors! Sure it may be expensive making such a huge building, but I'm talking something more in the style of Galaxy Land.

I love DW
09-08-2006, 09:23 PM
^I don't know what Galaxy Land is but a whole theme park indoors. That would be a HUGE building i'm not even sure if it's possible to build that big of a building. But if they could that would be awesome.

dcs221
09-08-2006, 10:02 PM
Galaxyland is an indoor theme park, thus it is possible to build that big of a building. Galaxyland includes a ~120 foot schwarzkoph, which has been recognized as one of the best schwarzkophs out there. I don't care *that* much for schwarz, but that thing looks hot. They also had a waterpark, or atleast some water slides, and some other rides. I remember seeing a picture or video of some tall freefall slides too which is awesome, but I think someone said they took them out. Not sure at all, don't quote me on that.

I love DW
09-08-2006, 10:16 PM
How many acres is this Galaxyland park?

coastrfreak2000
09-08-2006, 10:23 PM
Isn't Galaxy Land in West Edmonton Mall?

Tanks4me05
09-08-2006, 10:42 PM
^Yes, it is in the Edmonton mall. I don't know how many acres Galaxyland is, but it holds about 29 rides, incliding 3 coasters, the waterpark has about 18 slides, and the waterpark is about 5 acres. However, in Galaxyland, I am more enthused about Galaxyland's Moser Hoppla (I thought the closest one was in Wiener Prater, W00T!) than Mind Bender, which is 145 feet tall, not 120. Galaxyland's Space Shot is 120 feet tall, however.

I love DW
09-08-2006, 10:50 PM
^Wow this place sounds cool. Maybe this will be what Opryland does. But some where I heard that they own land about the size of the old Opry Land park. And that would be a big building. But I'm not sure if that's are rumor or a fact about the land. Anyone else know how much land they own?

Steven
09-08-2006, 11:43 PM
Eh, Nashville already has a waterpark! Though its not indoors its a unique one. Unique because though it has slides and such it doesnt focus so much on them as otehr things you would never expect from a water park (see link) http://www.nashvilleshores.com/

If an indoor waterpark is ALL they have in mind I am sad to say it won twork. They need somthing bigger and better than JUST that!
I wouldn't trust Gaylord with another park... while the media has hyped up the idea, Gaylord seems to be too much into the entertainment. After all, they closed Opryland Amusement Park because "they weren't making enough". If anyone were to build another park in Nashville, it should be someone else who can build a park (like the people that run SDC or Dollywood) that fits into the area.

Side note, I work pretty closely with Nashville Shores (they are one of my bigger clients, as I do IT work for them). They are actually an excellent operation, and wouldn't be surprised at all if they expand to include regular amusement rides in the future (which they haven't ruled out).

bk2004
09-09-2006, 12:27 AM
They aren't going to randomly build a HUGE indoor amusement park. Ones that are already indoors are smaller and its basically a death sentance because you can't really add anything more to keep the guests coming back. Just smaller flats or whatever you can fit in it. They are also expensive to maintain...but yeah...it'll be just like the old days, CLOSING DOWN.

I think for now an indoor water park would be a nice fit, especially with the huge successfull hotel already there. Maybe in the future we could see a Opryland II.

I love DW
09-09-2006, 12:43 AM
I still would like to see the combination of the outdoor theme park and an indoor water park. I would love to be able to go ride water rides in the winter. Although I really wish Herschend would build an indoor one in Nashville instead of Opryland because then I would get in free with my gold pass. lol.

Michael C
09-09-2006, 01:33 PM
it actually wodu make more sense. to Build an indoor park in the remaining land of the old park. maybe you could even recycle some of the old buildings. but I'm sure there in pretty poor Sharp.

I love DW
09-09-2006, 03:02 PM
Where is the land from the old park at? I know where the raft ride used to be because it's concrete is still there but is that they only land they left because if it is would it be big enough?

bk2004
09-09-2006, 03:11 PM
/\ They tore down Opryland for a mall, so the mall is where the park was.

I love DW
09-09-2006, 03:14 PM
^Your right they tore it down but not all of it was torn down. Because about two years ago I was walking along the path between the hotel and the mall and I saw the concrete where the boats for the raft ride used to be. So some of it they left but not enough for a indoor park of any kind.

Michael C
09-09-2006, 05:02 PM
That is the only section of the property left. actually looking at a sky shot you can see the that mall was build on very little of the property but that most of the property because parking lot.

Skyshot of property (http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=42.367594~-87.934012&style=h&lvl=18)

I love DW
09-09-2006, 09:08 PM
^Ok when I clicked on the sky shot is showed me a Six Flags not the Opry Mills mall. For Skyshot the Mills mall click here. (http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=42.367594%7E-87.934012&style=h&lvl=18)

Michael C
09-09-2006, 10:35 PM
^Ok when I clicked on the sky shot is showed me a Six Flags not the Opry Mills mall. For Skyshot the Mills mall click here. (http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=42.367594%7E-87.934012&style=h&lvl=18)

Supprisingly your post is doing the same thing.lets try one more time
http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=42.367594%7E-87.934012&style=h&lvl=18
link
(http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=42.367594%7E-87.934012&style=h&lvl=18)

apparently the link has a mind of it's own. so here is the address just copy it into the address area. 2802 Opryland Drive Nashville, Tennessee 37214

I love DW
09-10-2006, 02:40 AM
apparently the link has a mind of it's own. so here is the address just copy it into the address area. 2802 Opryland Drive Nashville, Tennessee 37214

You can say that again. I clicked on my own earlier and it was right. I just clicked on it now and I ended up in a place I have never heard of. Weird.

Michael C
09-10-2006, 04:06 PM
ya I clicked on it like 3 times and went to 2 different SFI parks and another park I have been to in the past but can't remember the name. Well the address will get you there. not hard to find from there.

coasterfreakk
09-10-2006, 09:59 PM
The land they are looking at doing something with is between
briley pky. and pennigton bend rd. across from the hotel .The lot is around 105 acers I think.There is also a big lot of land off of music valley dr. I think they have had some intrest in.That land is about twice the size of the land they currently own.

I love DW
09-10-2006, 10:28 PM
Don't they own the 105 acres across from the hotel?

But 105 that's not much room for a theme park.

Tanks4me05
09-10-2006, 10:39 PM
True, but isn't Hersheypark just under 100 acres? That place has only a few less rides than CP, so you can fit a lot into a park of that size.

I love DW
09-10-2006, 11:09 PM
^I don't know how big Hershey park is but when you are talking about Hershypark is it under a 100 acres with or without the parking lot because if that dosen't include the parking lot that right there would eat up probaly 5 if not more of Opryland's acres. And then you wouldn't have much room to expand past that though. So I just wonder if they own more than that. Because being in Nashville they will need alot of parking.

Michael C
09-11-2006, 05:24 PM
100 acres is allot is used right. Magic Kingdom is something like 55 acres. Epcot is a tad bit over 100. they would just need to be smart with the space. maybe build an indoor kiddie area and food court order a coaster. Normally that land would be empty.

cannonballer
09-11-2006, 10:48 PM
^ if park builders thought in tetris mode anything could fit. lol

I love DW
09-22-2006, 06:07 PM
Is this land that were taking about across from the mall because I don't see any where across from the mall that looks like it's close to 100 acres. Could this possibly be somewhere else in Nasvhille? Like some where just outside the city so the land is a little cheaper, that is if they don't already own some land.

cannonballer
10-13-2006, 02:16 AM
Maybe its on up briley, there are areas around Briley Parkway that are massive undeveloped land.

Steven
10-13-2006, 05:52 PM
... at least until either TDOT or someone else decide they are bored with the construction on Briley and start working on that land lol. Though, I must admit, sometimes driving Briley is like riding a coaster because of all that construction between Opry Mills and I-40.

Seriously, once the construction is done, that area could support an amusement park, easily. However, Gaylord shouldn't have anything to do with it... after all, they dumped it cuz "it wasn't making enough".

I love DW
10-13-2006, 06:02 PM
The construction on Briley is crazy.

How many lanes is it supposed to end up to be? It looks like about 5 each way. And in that case with the big road downtown and briley at 10 lanes I think they could support two or three parks. I do hope though that someone will build a park in Nashville I don't care who just as long as it's good.

Steven
10-14-2006, 11:52 AM
I don't think construction will ever be done on Briley. But, I think they're really trying to convert it to be an 8-10 lane bypass of downtown, much as I-440 was supposed to be designed to do... only it's about as bad as the other highways. If you ask me, it'll make traffic easier to deal with during the rush hours.

Though, I am keeping my eye out on Nashville Shores. They do have some interesting long term plans.

I love DW
10-14-2006, 11:59 AM
^Last time that we came back from Dollywood we went Briley and I got to see there new waterslide. It looked fun.

Maybe Opryland should build a water park. But they should build an indoor one so that way when Nashville Shores closes for the cold weather they would still be open.

Michael C
10-14-2006, 07:56 PM
^ if park builders thought in tetris mode anything could fit. lol

yes to a point. Disney did it and dose MK feel crowded? With a good design you can fit allot into a smaller space.

I love DW
10-15-2006, 01:18 AM
^Yes but don't forget when Disney states how big the park is that may not include the "behind the scens area's." So yes the park may fit in the land that were talking about but don't forget about personel buildings, training facilities, storage, cash offices, dumpsters, and more they each individually don't take up much room but that right there could add up to alot of land that Disney doesn't count as the park when it tells people how many acres it is. And then you also have to think about the parking lot that alone is alot of land that normally isn't considered in park stats.

PINK FLOYD FANA
10-15-2006, 03:35 AM
I wouldn't trust Gaylord with another park... while the media has hyped up the idea, Gaylord seems to be too much into the entertainment. After all, they closed Opryland Amusement Park because "they weren't making enough". If anyone were to build another park in Nashville, it should be someone else who can build a park (like the people that run SDC or Dollywood) that fits into the area.

Side note, I work pretty closely with Nashville Shores (they are one of my bigger clients, as I do IT work for them). They are actually an excellent operation, and wouldn't be surprised at all if they expand to include regular amusement rides in the future (which they haven't ruled out).

I thought the US Army Corps of Engineers killed the idea of a new theme park on Nashville Shore's property. I've tried to get some information on the web and emailing the park asking if they still plan on building a real them park there and still got no answer from them. Are they still trying to get permission to build a park? Anything like Voyage (my #1 coaster ever!!!!) planned for that park if approved?

I love DW
10-23-2006, 05:24 PM
Ok I don't think that anyone has posted about this are not. If they have I'm sorry but I was looking around Screamscape.com and found this:

Tennessee - (9/20/06) A Screamscape source tells us that Gaylord Entertainment is apparently planning to make some kind of announcement regarding the 105 acres of property they own just before the end of the year. More on this as we find out.

I know it's old but has anyone heard anything else about this? Could it be at the end of the year we will here plans for the newest Gaylord entertainment park?

coasterfreakk
10-24-2006, 04:45 PM
I wouldn't get your hopes up if I where you they may make an announcement but I don't think it'll be a new theme park. It will be some kind of entertainment venue such as a place to have concerts or other events like conventions.They have said something about wanting more convention space.

I love DW
10-24-2006, 04:53 PM
Well we can at least hope it's a theme park though. Won't do any good but we can still hope.

cannonballer
10-31-2006, 11:22 PM
Um ok you dag gum deniers! We will just wait and see. and once agtain when your wrong youll never say you denied it as in posts in teh past!

LET just say there WILL be a park in nashville by 2009! Gaylord or not! ;)

Wes
02-12-2008, 08:39 AM
It seems that they forgot to take down the road signs for Opryland. ;)

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080212/COLUMNIST0128/802120349/1008/OPINION01

Carowinds 73-03
02-12-2008, 11:56 AM
LOL. Thats funny. I wonder if people still head that way thinking it's still open after seeing the signs.

I think thats something they should consider takeing down but only if it's a problem. If it's not i say leave them up. It's kinda cute.

It would be like seeing signs for Cedar Point and getting there and no park.

Leo C
02-12-2008, 12:19 PM
They should stay. It's a nice protest. :D What will happen to the Geauga Lake signs on Route 80? I guess they will put another decal over the road sign now saying Geauga Lake's Wildwater Kingdom. :sadface:

blvdog
12-09-2008, 01:47 PM
I don't know wether I would want Opryland to do another theme park or not. Yes I would love a new theme park in Nashville and by now I think Opryland should know what they did wrong. But one reason I don't want a theme park what if it fails again. If it's going to fail who wants it and since they have failed to keep the other one open who knows what will happen with another. On the mall thing I think the mall was a good bussiness move for them because that probably makes them more money than the theme park did and it is less up keep.

Ok, FYI, I work at the so called new mall and let me tell you it wasn't a good buisness move at all. The reason Gaylord is thinking of making a new amusement park is because they have lost more money on the mall than anything they have done. Each year the mall has less and less people (tourist). I work for a store in the mall and we have dropped in sells every year since it was built. Gaylord even said on the news here in Nashville that it was the biggest mistake they have ever made. Please don't asume things your not sure of.

blvdog
12-09-2008, 01:52 PM
Ok I don't think that anyone has posted about this are not. If they have I'm sorry but I was looking around Screamscape.com and found this:

I know it's old but has anyone heard anything else about this? Could it be at the end of the year we will here plans for the newest Gaylord entertainment park?

Hey, I live on the same road that Gaylord purchased the property for a new park. 2 years ago we had a city wide vote for the property and Gaylord won. From what they have said to us in the Mall where I work they will start building in 2009 and finish sometime several years later. Thats all we have heard about it so far. I'll keep ya guys infoed if I hear anymore.

neil_n_ky
12-09-2008, 02:17 PM
It would be cool to have a park in Nashville. I hope it wouldn't hurt Dollywood though. I hope they make it a theme park/water park combo like Holiday World and Splashin Safari. I suppose a park in Nashville could get some of Dollywood's and Holiday World's attendees. Then again, it may not, folks like me would just buy a season pass and go to all of them!

tntornadox
12-09-2008, 02:59 PM
Gaylord realized their mistake not long after Opry Mills opened- not just a year later they sold their stake back to the Mills Corporation who went down not longer after and were recently purchased by the gargantuan Simon Malls who continues to lease the Opry name and logo from Gaylord Entertainment for an undetermined amount of money.

It was a decent entertainment mall when it opened, but alot of stores have left in recent years, including some of the larger entertainment spaces- which dosen't bode well for the mall in the long-term.

And as for a new park hurting Dollywood- it is of my opinion that Opryland kept Dollywood in-line when it was open. Both were entertainment parks that competed fiercly with one another- but they kept each other honest. IMO, Dollywood's shows of the 90s were nothing short of fantastic- better than some of the entertainment they offer today.

Not to mention, with the rise of Pigeon Forge- they would both serve different niche markets in the end. Tourists aren't flocking to Nashville like they once did- most likely due to the closure of Opryland, IMO.

In closing, before anyone mentions the economy here- Gaylord Entertainment is still surging ahead in development projects. They have signed a letter of intent to build a new mega-resort in Mesa, AZ named the Gaylord Mesa, they have begun work on expanding Gaylord Opryland's convention center (which will make it the largest convention center outside of Las Vegas), and plans are on the table to expand the Gaylord Texan in the near future as well.

neil_n_ky
12-09-2008, 03:40 PM
Man, how does a nineteen year old have such information! LOL. I'm impressed. Anyway, I am glad to get the info. When I was at Dollywood this year I got into a conversation with a gentleman about Opryland. I had stated that I bet "they" ( I wasn't sure who owned it) wished they hadn't shut it down. He stated that the Opry Mills mall was a great success and was making more money than Opryland ever did. I didn't argue but it sure didn't seem right to me. I say bring on Opryland 2 or just call the new park Opryland again.

It is also a good point that such a park may keep Dollywood honest. I do understand the economy and all but I still have to work on not being disappointed about no additions (as far as rides I mean) for 2009 when parks from small to large (Holiday World , Carowinds, King's Island) are still having major additions with the pitiful econeomy. I know I will appreciate the new shows and parking improvements, but dang it i want a new coaster at Dollywood and a Tornado slide at Splash Country. Sorry I was venting, I sound like the nineteen year old! Anyway, I think I agree a new park in Nashville could make Dollywood even better.

Brian F
12-10-2008, 02:37 AM
don't judge tntornadox by his age- you'll look bad if you do. 19 can be intelligent and well-read just as easily as geezers like you and I

neil_n_ky
12-10-2008, 09:45 AM
don't judge tntornadox by his age- you'll look bad if you do. 19 can be intelligent and well-read just as easily as geezers like you and I

Just to clarify, I just meant I was very impressed! No judgement intended. The younger crowd really amazes me these days! I look forward to any other info you have tntornadox! If there is a new Opryland. I hope they have a looping coaster similar to the tennessee tornado. It rocks.

Michael C
12-10-2008, 01:41 PM
The link to the sign doesn't work any more. They likely left it up since like mentioned it is the Opryland convention center. the Hotel is also called the Opryland Hotel.

I agree that Competition could only bee a good thing. While Dollywood has made some great additions its simple what they could add. Some competition might make then step it up a notch.

Also Tourism has changed People seem to be looking for places that are more interactive which is what I think has hurt Nashville. A park would help change that.