PDA

View Full Version : Well if this doesn't suck...

cplover34
10-16-2006, 10:08 PM
Today was probably the first time really browsing these forums. Wow, what a mess you have here.

Besides the fact that you have 80 people viewing one topic at a time, which I can't stand, but you can't really do anything about either, you have countless repeat threads, pointless posts, and pointless topics. I've never seen so much "vs." topics in my life, which, quite frankly, those topics can turn out to be deadly (we at RCPro found out the hard way). Honestly, I am very dissappointed in the state of a site that's so highly looked upon; I expected much more.[/rant]

Ryan F
10-16-2006, 10:28 PM
Then why bother coming to the site and posting?

coasterdude28
10-16-2006, 10:42 PM
Funny, I seem to think just the opposite of this site. I feel that almost every other forum is a spam filled piece of junk. While there are some good forums out there, I have seen some bad ones. TN is definately one of the best on the web. Anyway, if you don't like the way that the site is run, then just don't visit. It's that simple.

Cuddy
10-16-2006, 10:45 PM
We are always open to new suggestions for the better workings of the site, but what can possibly be wrong with 80 people viewing a topic at one time?

As for your other concerns, we deal with them on a case by case basis. If you feel action needs to be taken on a particular thread, we have specific threads under the Help Us Out sub-forum in which you can post the thread, and someone will get to it as soon as they can.

Chris L
10-16-2006, 10:47 PM
Today was probably the first time really browsing these forums. Wow, what a mess you have here.

Besides the fact that you have 80 people viewing one topic at a time, which I can't stand, but you can't really do anything about either, you have countless repeat threads, pointless posts, and pointless topics. I've never seen so much "vs." topics in my life, which, quite frankly, those topics can turn out to be deadly (we at RCPro found out the hard way). Honestly, I am very dissappointed in the state of a state that's so highly looked upon; I expected much more.[/rant]

It really has nothing to do with the site directly --- it has to do with new members not knowing and adapting to forum etiquette. Repeat topics are prevelant on every enthusiast community site, not just TN. As long as content posted is within the outlines drawn by the terms of service, they are allowed, no matter how beaten the topic may be.

I love DW
10-16-2006, 10:57 PM
If you don't like it no one is making you stay. I think the site is just fine and that they are working very hard to keep a good site going. So if you don't like it don't post.

F.Y.I - Personally I think Thrill Network is one of the best if not the best run enthusiast sites I have ever visited.

Wes
10-16-2006, 11:00 PM
This sounds like someone that has nothing better to do than go on boards and stir up trouble and then never make an appearance again or get banned.

And also why in the world is it a crime for 80 people to view a thread?

Jimmy B
10-16-2006, 11:41 PM

Besides the fact that you have 80 people viewing one topic at a time, which I can't stand, but you can't really do anything about either, you have countless repeat threads, pointless posts, and pointless topics. I've never seen so much "vs." topics in my life, which, quite frankly, those topics can turn out to be deadly (we at RCPro found out the hard way). Honestly, I am very dissappointed in the state of a state that's so highly looked upon; I expected much more.[/rant]

As was just pointed out, you'll find that on a lot of other forums, probably far worse than it is here.

And seeing as how you are only 16 years of age, let me tell you how far message boards have come since I first participated in one back in 1998. Back then, you never even needed to had to register to post; virtually anyone with a computer and internet access could easily post on the boards at any time, so you can only imagine how much worse it really was back then. There were no moderators, edit/preview functions, topic locking/merging function, search functions, avatar/signature features, topic bump function (for when new posts were made), or any other special features that a lot of members take for granted today. There was even no way to ban user from the site like a lot of forums now have the capability to do so.

So if you are not happy about the state of the boards now, consider what we never had back then and be happy that everything has advanced to what you see today. And chances are always likely that most, if not all forums, are looking to upgrade their boards constantly. All I can tell you is that if you are really concerned with the state of our message boards, is to just hang in there and be very patient above all, and soon enough, it is only going to get better as time goes.

And finally, to those of you saying he should not post here if he doesn't like it, while technically you may have a point, I wouldn't make such comments just like that without looking more into the situation. He was giving his thoughts and opinions, which we welcome very much, so long as it is explainable and honest, as he did. We do listen to reasonable feedback and may even take them into consideration depending on how logical it is. So if your response is saying he should not post here, I would hold off on that comment; it may make the situation even worse, which is what we don't want to have happen.

steel
10-17-2006, 07:25 AM
You think it's bad here? At least we haven't gotten the robo-posters that put up ads to no end.

And I don't think I've ever seen 80 people browsing one forum at one time.

Also, every site has a few idiots who can't use the search button. Don't hold it against us.

If you hate it here, pack your things and leave.

Steven
10-17-2006, 07:28 AM
What's wrong with 80 people browsing a topic? You may not stand it, but it happens.

Honestly, you make no sense. But if you care to explain it, you can contact me by email (through my profile).

Wes
10-17-2006, 11:34 AM
Looks like my prediction might have been acurate. He hasn't posted since starting this thread.

cplover34
10-17-2006, 02:43 PM
Looks like my prediction might have been acurate. He hasn't posted since starting this thread.

Sorry I have school to tend to.

And if you really want me to leave... bye.

You guys shouldn't take every word I say so literally. I just feel that it is horribly unorganized here. But maybe I'm just used to it being overly organized, like over at RCPro.

Wes
10-17-2006, 02:51 PM
^ How is it unorganized?

You have chategories of threads you can read or post in.

You can click on the links at the top or bottom of the page to take you to different areas of the site.

cplover34
10-17-2006, 02:55 PM
-The numerous pointless threads.
-The subforums inside subforums.
-Forums extremely similar to others
-Etc.

Don't treat me like an idiot. I know what I'm talking about. Because I may not be able to explain what I mean, I know I still have a valid arguement.

Joseph
10-17-2006, 03:07 PM
This thread sounds like an advertisement for a certain other site!

Of course, all sites will have their fans and foes. And I don't think many people will 100% agree with how a site is run, so if this member doesn't like something regarding the site (there ARE a TON of forums, too many IMO, but I also don't recall seeing a subforum.. am I missing something?) I see no problem giving feedback.

Also, you really can't blame the "pointless threads" on the site itself... that just goes back to the members.

Wes
10-17-2006, 03:13 PM
This site is very strict on repeat threads, they will shut down or combine any where someone starts a duplicate thread, etc.

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but I really don't see why you are so upset when TN follows the format of almost every major board I've ever seen.

Steven
10-17-2006, 05:56 PM
Hate to say this, but if you're talking about RCPro (you gave that away in post #1 buddy, so I am assuming you're associated at the staff level with them. By the way, I can't even access right now... great uptime there)...

We aren't like RCPro, nor do we compete with them. You also can't compare the ways we run our forums. You can't even compare RCPro and TN at a site level, either, because TN has an entirely different mission. Yeah, we cover roller coasters, and the majority of those who participate on our site is coaster enthusiasts, but that does not mean we are just about coasters.

By the way, if you can't explain what you mean, you don't have a valid argument, and thus your claims are pointless.

Lastly, we've had our forum format for over five years now (since we started them May 3, 2001. Many other websites have tried to copy us, including in our forum layout. One copied forum layout outright (and failed), another tried copying our design (and failed).

So, if you are just going to take cheap shots, I suggest you stop. I personally have respect for RCPro and would even help out should they ask, but if you representative of the rest of the staff (as in they all feel the exact same way, which I doubt), then I can't have any part of it.

Kyle L
10-17-2006, 07:44 PM
Sorry I have school to tend to.

And if you really want me to leave... bye.

You guys shouldn't take every word I say so literally. I just feel that it is horribly unorganized here. But maybe I'm just used to it being overly organized, like over at RCPro.

Dude RCPro is all flash and nice graphics. Theres nothing wrong with that, and I enjoy their video collection, but you're comparing two un-alike sites. So I don't know what you're trying to achieve there...

If ya don't like it, you have all rights (At least in my idea) to complain, but no one is gonna buy it or agree with you if you can't back up what you're trying to say. Unorganized? Wait what? Everything here on TN is laid out easily, there are catagoried: Database, Forums, News, In-The-Loop, Speedzone etc.

So yeah um, thanks, come again.

steel
10-17-2006, 08:49 PM
You are failing to see the obvious, sir.
I dare you to name one website that has never had a spammer. No one is responsible for anyone elses actions.

Heck, I could waltz over to RCPro right know and spam up the entire forum system.

And how are we unorganized? Name five ways.
We have separate forums for everything and the site is simple to navigate.

If you're mad that spam isn't immediately deleted, you'd better wake up and realize that some people have lives outside of the Internet, and that includes moderators.

Chris L
10-17-2006, 09:07 PM
-The numerous pointless threads.
-The subforums inside subforums.
-Forums extremely similar to others
-Etc.

Don't treat me like an idiot. I know what I'm talking about. Because I may not be able to explain what I mean, I know I still have a valid arguement.

I beg to differ when you claim RCPro is more "organized" than TN. I used to be a regular user on in that community before it broke out with everything you're claiming is wrong with this community. Now I hardly ever visit that site. There is hardly any new content for members and browsers to explore, they have no live database, moderators are never on call, and YES, the repeat and idiotic topics, countless 15 year old or younger users with horrible grammar running up and down the walls of those forums.

And you're here complaining, why?

Cuddy
10-17-2006, 09:10 PM
I'd say this thread has run its course...and seems to be a (in my opinion) a slight advertisement for your site.

Steven
10-18-2006, 07:23 AM
I'll add..

If you have anything more to say bad about this site without backing it up properly (that means being able to explain it using specific examples and without coming up with shallow reasons or jabs), talk to me or a moderator directly, not on the forums. But, be ready to defend your claim in a civil manner (meaning don't cop out as cplover34 did).

Those of you who are 14 and 16 (especially you cplover34 and ghost007jas)... you need to take a forensics or debate class to understand the real meaning of opinion and being able to back it up properly. Neither of you seem to understand that. The rest of the members seem to get it, why don't you two?

If you're also posting this cuz your own site is down... I'm sorry your site is down. Just don't blindly criticize our site. If you really want to know how we can be, just ask some of those who actually were banned for a period of time, or know people who were banned for their post content. Look in our ban list for who's been banned. Perhaps we can get your usernames to join that list, so now we can really say "we've banned for less".

Lastly, when we close a thread, it means its closed. You seem to understand that already by your claims that the threads "on your home site" like this would be locked. That also means don't start a new one. That really makes you look like a hypcrite.