PDA

View Full Version : Current active users

edh101985
06-23-2007, 12:43 PM
Is it possible to make it so you can see who is looking at the thread, while your actually viewing it? I know you have a giant list of the members viewing it, but if you created a thread and want to see who is looking at it, it gets annoying scrolling through all the pages to see who is reading it.

Graham
06-23-2007, 01:34 PM
I believe there actually is an option in vBulletin to allow for that. However we do not have it enabled in order to reduce server load.

Cuddy
06-23-2007, 03:28 PM
^^I've seen that on WestCoaster where the option is at the bottom of all the registered user(s) that are viewing that particular thread.

Steven
06-23-2007, 06:43 PM
My question is why do you need it? I run the site, and I sure as hell don't need it.

edh101985
06-23-2007, 08:22 PM
I guess its not that important, but sometimes I wonder who is actually reading the thread. And if nobody is actually reading or replying to it, I may delete it. I tried looking at the views, but for some reason, I looked at a thread, and then I went back and it never added me for the view, so I don't know if its always working.

Graham
06-23-2007, 08:28 PM
The view system is working. However, it doesn't work exactly like you think it might. In order to work more efficiently the view system doesn't update the number of times a thread has been viewed each time someone views it. Instead it updates the number of views a few times an hour and keeps track of how many views it has had between each update. That way it is much more efficient for the server.

Anyway, I understand that it would be interesting to see who is viewing what at any given time. However to do so would cause our servers to take a big performance hit. Which would slow down the rate at which we could serve up new pages. Thus making it take longer for you to receive every page.

edh101985
06-23-2007, 08:41 PM
Oh I see. I guess if it slows it down, its not a big deal then. I know on TPR they have that, and the site is still fast (except when they to a photo TR) but I don't know what they use compare to TN.

sfft_2108
06-26-2007, 06:08 PM
I think I started a thread about this a while back wanting to enable the same feature. It would be interested to just see who else is viewing the thread also. http://www.thrillnetwork.com/boards/showthread.php?t=37238&highlight=active+users

Nothing was really accomplished. The reply was on the older server, so I guess It still will slow it down. Oh well. I guess we can just try.

Steven
06-27-2007, 09:31 AM
We considered it when we got the new server, and actually had it on for a very brief time. However, it just slowed it down almost immediately. So, we took it back off.

As far as being able to tell about a thread... if you don't see any responses, then it's DOA... simple as that.

Carowinds 73-03
02-11-2008, 07:17 PM
Another question about something different. I noticed a + beside a few names on the active users list. Just wondering what that means.

Thanks.

Katie
02-11-2008, 07:56 PM
It means they are buddies of someone or of you. I believe. Check your profile to see if someone has added you to their buddy list.

Carowinds 73-03
02-11-2008, 07:59 PM
Yep.

Thats what it is. Thats a really neat feature. I'm suprised i never noticed before.

Thanks Katie.

Congrats on the wedding & Baby.

Wes
02-11-2008, 10:06 PM
OK, what are the asterisks?

Is that mobile users logged in? (like through a blackberry)

Katie
02-12-2008, 07:36 PM
To staff they are people logged in that want to be invisible to everyone else. I think.

Steven
02-12-2008, 08:09 PM
Yeah... you can't hide from admin!