PDA

View Full Version : Dollywood, Carowinds, & Six Flags Over Georgia Trip 7/4-5,7/9

SheikraTTD
06-30-2007, 03:01 PM
My dad and I are going to Dollywood, Carowinds, and Six Flags Over Georgia next week. I don't have any specific questions but tips on ride rows, hotels, places to eat inside the parks, and when to ride coasters will help greatly.

Actually I do have a question. Screamscape is saying Acrophobia is closed at SFOG because of the SFKK incident. Does anybody know when it will open or if it is open now?

SheikraTTD
07-01-2007, 03:06 PM
Does anybody know any good hotels very near Dollywood? Because were getting in around 9-10 Tuesday and don't want to search for a hotel. And my dad loves hotels with pay movies so if this hotel has that, he'll be fine.

coasterman1234
07-01-2007, 03:11 PM
We stayed at a Comfort Inn (http://www.choicehotels.com/ires/en-US/html/HotelInfo?hotel=TN100&sid=4rAEM.gqOZ0gFSL.2&sarea=19735&sname=Sevierville&sstate=TN&scountry=US&sradius=40.22&slat=35.86805725097656&slon=-83.56194305419922&schain=A&exp=&scity=Sevierville&sort=&nroom=1&nadult1=1&nchild1=0&nadult2=1&nchild2=0&nadult3=1&nchild3=0&nadult4=1&nchild4=0&nadult5=1&nchild5=0) that was decent. Try and get as close to the park as you can, traffic is terrible. It took us 45 minutes to go from our hotel to Dollywood (only 7 miles apart).

SheikraTTD
07-01-2007, 03:27 PM
Are there lots of hotels on the Pigeon Forge "strip" like that one?

Are there any closer than that?

coasterman1234
07-01-2007, 04:07 PM
^Yes, there are tons of hotels on that strip, some are big chains, and others are locally owned.

SheikraTTD
07-01-2007, 04:28 PM
Thats what I thought. I've been there when I was younger and remember lots of Go-Kart places and Hotels.

Wes
07-01-2007, 06:16 PM
If you want to go cheap, then Pigeon Forge is the place. There are SO many hotels/motels.

My favorite place to stay is the Sevierville Fairfield Inn (http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/tyspf-fairfield-inn-and-suites-pigeon-forge/), although this time of year it's probably pricey.

Also, I know you've got only a limited time, but Ghost Town is only 1.5 hours from Dollywood on the way to Carowinds.

You could probably do the whole park in 2-3 hours max and still have time to drive to Carowinds the same day (but not do Carowinds the same day). Just a thought. Admission is something like $25 I think.

I think the coaster is up and running now, but I'm not 100% on that.

Also on Carowinds:

I would not recommend the hotels at the park, although I've never stayed at any of them...none of them look that great. The Comfort Inn is probably the best of the bunch, but I've never stayed in any of them since I only live 25 minutes from the park.

The hotels up on I-485 at Hwy 51 look much nicer, but of course it's a little more driving. But that's my only tips for hotels.

There's also a brand new Holiday Inn Express at I-77 and Arrowood Rd which is about 5 minutes towards Charlotte.

CoasterKid_2006
07-01-2007, 06:52 PM
I'd stay at the Music Road Hotel! It's awesome! Be sure to get a family suit!

I'm going to DW the 4th as well! Hope to see you there!

Looty
07-01-2007, 06:54 PM
You shouldn't have a hard time finding a hotel around DW. The biggest thing I would warn you about is the traffic volume. Traffic is TERRIBLE when the park opens and closes. We sat in traffic for 30 minutes trying to get out of DW last week. Also, get there early to get a good parking spot. DW has the absolute WORST parking arrangements I have ever seen. If you get there kinda late, you have to park a long ways away. Yes they have trams running, but everyone and there mother is fighting for a spot on the tram and its just a really big hassle. Other than that, DW is awesome! see the magix show, it was really good! also, if you are interested, get the QBot they offer, it's extremely cheap and well worth it.

CoasterKid_2006
07-01-2007, 08:16 PM
Yes, get a Qbot!!! You'll be thankful for it! If the park is crouded, head up to the Tennessee Tornado first, everyone trys to stay around the front and ride rides as they come to them, that's why we go to TT first. Don't go to MM and up there first, ok, well, that's a bit of a stupid comment, me myself (I hate lines btw) would be willing to wait in the line for MM, but Thunderhead can wait...I've ridden it before. The new simulated ride, Yogis wild ride, isn't that great, but you have to keep in mind that it's meant for kids. I just didn't think it had a very good story line.... :). But other than that, be sure not to miss the Slide Winder! it's AWESOME! I love it!

Leo C
07-03-2007, 11:47 AM
This is exactly what I wanted to do this year but only could afford to do Dollywood and Ghost Town. Going to Korea, then a roadtrip to BGE and Ohio burned up my chances this year. I'm Maxx Pass and SF season pass equipped so I was burning when looking at the Weather Channel and in the atlas in Pigeon Forge to see just how close Birmingham, Atlanta, and Charlotte were to Dollywood. By the end of this season I will still have had 4 Cedar Fair and probably at least 2 SF park visits.

TNBoy1041
07-03-2007, 10:31 PM
DEFINATELY go up Craftsmen's Valley at Dollywood FIRST THING! Get there about 30 minutes before opening if you can and wait at the rope at the bottom of the hill for the park to open. I did this yesterday and could have stayed on Tennessee Tornado for an hour if I had wanted to...NO ONE was up there! In fact, me and my guest rode TT by ourselves...no one else was on the ride. I thought the park was close to empty until I went over to Timber Canyon and there everyone was!

Leo C
07-04-2007, 09:30 PM
Correct. Tennessee Tornado was pretty dead last week early in the morning. Such a surprise of a great ride too. :) Mystery Mine is a guaranteed at least 45 minute wait. I was able to get on Thunderhead 4 times in a row with 20 minute waits.

TNBoy1041
07-05-2007, 01:41 AM
Correct. Tennessee Tornado was pretty dead last week early in the morning. Such a surprise of a great ride too. :) Mystery Mine is a guaranteed at least 45 minute wait. I was able to get on Thunderhead 4 times in a row with 20 minute waits.

The lines were so long on Thunderhead and MM on Monday, I didn't even bother to ride them. The only rides I did ride were in Craftsmen's Valley as a matter of fact...All of them were walk-ons except later in the day and then even Daredevil Falls had a line that stretched over to the EXIT of the ride! It NEVER has a line, just to give an idea of how crowded the park was that day.

SheikraTTD
07-05-2007, 11:02 AM
We left a day early for Dollywood because my dad wasn't busy at work so I went to Dollywood on the 3rd instead of the 4th. Thunderhead is amazing. I got to ride it 3 times. Once in the back. and twice in the front. The front is the best in my opinion because it is so much crazier.
But here is my trip report: We stopped in London, Ky Monday night so we drove the 90 minutes to Dollywood Tuesday morning. We got there around 9:30 and went straight to Q2Q. Why is this so cheap(16$ for 2people) and why doesn't everyone buy it?
I was just messing around with the thing and booked Tennesee Tornado so we hiked up through the Craftsman Valley area for TT.
Tennessee Tornado: This ride is really fun. Really short but fun. I loved the tunnel into the inversion. This ride is surprisingly smooth for an Arrow. We only rode once because I couldn't wait for Thunderhead any longer. 7.5/10
Blazing Fury: This is a cute little ride. Really strange. I really don't know what to think of it. 5/10
The Thunderhead: WOW. This ride is so crazy/amazing. There is so much air in the front. The back is still a top ten coaster but the front is a little better. All of the transitions are perfectly executed. And the ride-ops are really doing a great job there. Q2Q really helped out. The line was 45 minutes long and we only waited 15 for our time everytime. Mystery Mine is just huge from the bottom of Timber Canyon. 10/10
Mystery Mine: Very fun ride in the front. Not the best ever but unique in it's own way. Great theming with the fire and all. Not very good in the 2nd row because you can't see AT ALL, great in the front though. The last inversion really hangs you there for awhile. Good investment by Dollywood. Theres nothing like this. 8.5/10
Overall: Dollywood has the nicest employees I've ever seen. We would get in the train and they go down the rows asking to take your hats, glasses, etc. The little things are what matters. Service: 9.5/10

Dollywood is a great park that really isn't missing much but a good tall steelie. But I guess they don't want anything over the tree line. There is construction back by the train route. I can't imagine what I would have done before Thunderhead and Mystery Mine at Dollywood. 75% of the guests at Dollywood are in Timber Canyon.

Six Flags Over Georgia report coming later. We skipped Carowinds because it was really out of the way on the way to Florida from Dollywood. And Top Gun is like their only really good coaster.

We're gonna hit Beech Bend and maybe Lake Winnepesauka or Alabama Adventure on the way back.