PDA

View Full Version : PGA Whizzer

MWimmer8
07-08-2001, 11:36 PM
My friend (Alpenguy) heard a rumor about a new Intamin ride called the Whizzer going into the same spot the original was.

Matt M
07-11-2001, 08:13 PM
<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>On 2001-07-08 23:36, MWimmer8 wrote:
<BR>My friend (Alpenguy) heard a rumor about a new Intamin ride called the Whizzer going into the same spot the original was.
<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->
<BR>
<BR>Intamin could never beat the original Whizzer!

phillycheese
07-19-2001, 04:08 PM
The Whizzer (Willard's Whizzer originally), was an excellent coaster at P Great America, but it was removed about 12 years ago. It was one of the best coasters ever, a victim of higher, faster, inverted, looping. But it had high speed turns, great landscaping (trees and lakes) and was very compact. I am afraid that quality is no longer important compared to size.

SkeeJ
07-22-2001, 02:48 PM
what exactly was the wizzer?

Dragonrider
07-23-2001, 03:55 AM
Skee;

Look at the Jr coaster's tracks in my post. Whizzer's tracks were about like that.

It was an Anton Schwartzkopf designed toboggan style Intamin "racer" coaster. Riders sat one across on a bench, with someone sitting in-between their legs, like The Matterhorn or Log flumes. There were usually 3-4 cars per train, and 3 seats per car. It had no belts, lapbars or any restraints of any kind. It had no airtime because it used steep banked tracks to hold the riders in. It also had a unique motorized spiral lift system to mount the anticipation.

Worlds of Fun just sold their version (Zambezi Zinger) to a park in South America, 2-3 years ago when the hyper-coaster went in. Zambezi's trees grew closer to the tracks than MGA California's Whizzer.

SkeeJ
07-23-2001, 03:21 PM
It had NO restraints what so ever? Thats not very safe because people could stand up or try to get off....then again log flumes dont have restraints either

Zach
07-23-2001, 03:31 PM
The Whizzer at SFGAm has seat belts, so I would think the old one at PGA had it too.

Zach

Dragonrider
07-24-2001, 03:38 AM
I haven't been to the Ca GA since Marriott sold them, so I don't know about restraints lately.

But, when I did ride it (1980), it had nothing holding us in.

I've never been to the Il GA, so I can't say.

The last time I rode the Zambezi was about 1995, and it still had no restraints.

The Revolution at Magic Mountain was built with lapbars only. Six Flags added the rest of that crap to it.