PDA

View Full Version : Ops what can you do to your ride

LIM
09-10-2008, 12:20 PM
im intressted to find out what sort of things you can do to your rides like are u aloud to remove and add trains to the system. bypass seats,start stop the lifts ect does your ride have a long winded start up prosidure?

i work on 4 Rides at alton towers.

spinball whizzer i can reset some errors that are on a list. including and estop. start / power the ride up start the lift up. Remove and add cars to the system. evac the ride

Oblivion i can start the system up and power up. change between 1/2 stations. remove and add shuttles. start drop brake and the lift up. evac the ride restart after a ride stop

the other 2 rides there is not much to them as they are flat rides so power up and down and change programs + reset estop

Carowinds 73-03
09-10-2008, 12:55 PM
Carowinds i know we could only start/stop the lift & turn the power off/on. Thats about it besides the small things like unlocking seats & e-stop.

It would be nice if ops got to do a little more to cut down on delays like trasfering trains and clearing small errors.

Raptor
09-10-2008, 06:13 PM
It depends on the park and their procedures. At Walt Disney World, ride hosts are trained, and allowed to do pretty much everything on their rides without engineering present, outside of actual maitenance.

Decisions such as adding or dropping vehicles are made by managers, but the ride hosts are allowed to do the actual adding and subtracting of vehicles.

Many parks are different, though, and things as simple as adding or dropping a train must be performed by an engineering employee.

Jimmy B
09-10-2008, 10:58 PM
When I was a ride op years ago at Frontier City, we were told that we had the right to delay or suspend operations at any time for any justifiable reason like unusual sound or mechanical oddities; it was all up to us to use our judgment.

However for weather issues, operation suspension was administered by management -- we either got a phone call from operations base or a supervisor/manager would come to our ride personally and tell us to suspend operations. If lightning was sighted from anywhere in the park, all rides over 50 feet high and water rides were closed and evacuated.

The controls of a ride are surprisingly simple. There are only a few controls we really needed to worry about:

-- Ride launch/dispatch. In the park I was at, each major ride had two different control panels, each with one of those buttons -- one for the (un)loader and the other for dispatch. In order for the cars/trains to be launched or dispatched, both operators needed to simultaneously push their respective buttons to send them on their way. This is where hand signals (most frequently the thumbs up) is crucial.

-- Push-button spiels that sounded a pre-recorded safety speech through the speakers. Only the dispatcher had that control.

-- Restraints lock/unlock. Again only the dispatcher had control over that.

-- Rider counter. The loader had this control and would repeatedly press a counter button according to how many riders he had loaded onboard.

Another thing I got to control was the queue line. We were also responsible for rerouting the line along additional queues when lines were overflowed. And both operators were responsible for checking all restraints (lap bar and belts) before sending the car or train.

When an E-Stop was activated, it was the operators responsibility to go to the stalled train using sidesteps along the track to be with the riders stuck onboard until further notice by management or a mechanic.

----------------------------

Straying just a tad away from the topic: Basically mechanics had a lot of the powers management had (and this might be the case for a lot of parks) in deciding to halt operations of a particular ride due to technical problems and instructing ride operator to follow certain directions, and I have seen quite a few cases where a mechanic has overruled a decision or direction given by management. I have also seen mechanics exercise their power to take an operator off a ride or ban them from the ride due to his or her lack of safety awareness or negligence, but only management had the power to revoke his or her certification after further review.

So for any of you current ride operators that aren't aware already, ride mechanics can act just like management, even though they're not technically your "boss," and you need to listen to them and follow their instructions; failure to comply with their directions can cost you your certification and potentially your job.

Carowinds 73-03
09-11-2008, 03:04 AM
Same here. I had to e-stop Afterburn years ago when i saw someone walking under the loop.

Steven
09-13-2008, 05:06 PM
LIM: Please read the forum etiquette (this is in regards to the spelling and grammar, plus the double posting)...

ThrillNetwork Boards - FAQ: ThrillNetwork FAQ (http://www.thrillnetwork.com/boards/faq.php?faq=tn_faq#faq_tn_faq_etiquitte)