PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: TN will be Subscription Based

Kyle L
03-30-2009, 08:42 PM
I know the economy is bad, and I'm on my last strings as a staffer (Speedzone sucks anyway), I'm gonna spill the beans that the head honchos of this site want to make a few bucks off of it because of the economy.

I don't know what the details are, but since so many people use our DB and Forums, we're going to be charging membership subscription fees to use them. Not sure how much, I think maybe $5-10 dollars a month.

This isn't really confirmed, but I think its crap and I'm done with this site if I have to friggin pay for it.

Gimmie a break Steven, once you ask for payment you can expect my resignation and participation on this site to end. Get a grip.

hawk
03-30-2009, 09:39 PM
If it's ad-free, I'd do that. Yeah, I don't post, and besides, I'm finding my ad blockers not working as well anyway.

Carowinds 73-03
03-30-2009, 10:01 PM
I would not mind at all if this was a pay site. However i really would not pay more than $50 a year. I'd like the idea of yearly memberships for $50.

Marcus
03-30-2009, 10:25 PM
Look we all have to do our part to support TN. Some of us moderate the forums, some of us post news stories, some of us edit the database, and some of us will soon contribute through monetary payments. Thrillnetwork is a home to us all and we need to do the little things to keep it together. Kyle, I'm also pretty sure, as staffers, we will not have to pay and our contribution through our staffing efforts is good enough.

This is all rumor though and I think we'd all appreciate it if one of the administrators in the know could clear this up.

coasterman1234
03-30-2009, 10:42 PM
If you charge, the outcome is extremely simple. Sure, a few of the most dedicated users will stay, but you will alienate all new users and the vast majority of the others. This is a almost laughably horrible idea which is hopefully just a rumor as there are other, much better, ideas to increase traffic/revenue.

Marcus
03-30-2009, 10:59 PM
Ummm, can we not burn this idea until we have all the facts? Let me remind you Thrillnetwork has survived for the last 8 years and will continue to do so. To do this, however, will require that the site go in a new direction and to do that has certain costs. Have a little faith in upper management, they know what they're doing. I'd expect to see a Free Trial Version for new users, plus lots of new features with TNv4 (see Steven's Blog).

Edit: I sent a PM to an administrator to address this whenever he gets the time

Kyle L
03-31-2009, 12:00 AM
Kyle, I'm also pretty sure, as staffers, we will not have to pay and our contribution through our staffing efforts is good enough.

Since Speedzone is dead I think Steven is going to drop me, thus I have to pay, which is crap.

Plus I'm starting all this shenanigans and leaking their plan to make more money from this site so I'm toast anyway.

Brian F
03-31-2009, 02:14 AM
Let's all wait for the facts until we go off half-cocked

Racer
03-31-2009, 08:26 AM
Sounds like an April Fool's joke leaked out a little early.

Since Speedzone is dead I think Steven is going to drop me, thus I have to pay, which is crap.

The Speedzone's not dead. I still post to it.

Steven
03-31-2009, 09:29 AM
Kyle, you should really know better. Looks like you got your wish.

Since the basic cat is out of the bag though (yeah we are doing something, but Kyle is blowing it out of proportion). All I will say is look for the official announcement soon. In the meantime, I'm closing this thread so that discussion can take place when it's announced.