PDA

View Full Version : Son of Beast shut down amid investigation

Chip
06-22-2009, 06:01 PM
Son of Beast at Kings Island has been shut down pending an investigation.

The wooden roller coaster was closed after a woman on June 16 said she was hurt on the ride on May 31. It was reported as an alleged head injury.

Kings Island reported it... Click here to read more... (http://www.thrillnetwork.com/news/2835/son-of-beast-shut-down-amid-investigation.html)

Wes
06-22-2009, 09:18 PM
I should have reported an injury when the back seat vibrated so much that I had back pain for like 10 minutes. LOL

Seriously, I don't see how you could have a head injury when you don't have a head rest on the thing.

Rustbelt
06-22-2009, 09:42 PM
Why wait for 2 weeks to report the injury?

Chip
06-22-2009, 11:12 PM
Some people ignore symptoms, or maybe the symptoms didn't appear right away. They also could have started as a headache and gotten a lot worse in the two weeks. There's really no saying until (if) we get more information.

Cuddy
06-22-2009, 11:44 PM
Why wait for 2 weeks to report the injury?

Um...Money?? Cha-Ching!!!

Why else?

People are greedy and will look ANYWHERE to make a simple buck.

Brian F
06-23-2009, 02:39 AM
Oh, of course, they'd shut it down, when I'm going Saturday. Last time we went, it was down periodically through the day. Every time we were on the other side of the park, it was open- every time we were near it, it was closed.

I'm not expecting to like it, but I would like to ride it to see if it's really as bad as everyone says.

This sucks like an Electrolux!

coasterqueen
06-23-2009, 03:49 AM
^I hope you get to ride it at least once, Steven. You may like it, I don't know. I always say ride a coaster once. If you hate it then at least you have made an educated opinion. :)

I have always hated it from day one. If I had a dime for every lingering headache, backache, neckache, bruises to the ribs, and possible internal bleeding.........:( There have been times I have actually felt organs in my body rattle. That's how bad it is, at least for me. I rode it last year (which was my first in about 6 years) after a friend assured me it was "smoother." NOT! My head was pounding for hours. That's when I vowed NEVER to ride it again no matter what.
Those only other coaster that induced THAT much pain was Flight Of Fear when they still had the OTSR's. OUCH!

It has its fans and that's fine. The only real reason they keep it open is the GP seems to love it which makes no sense to me. Every "non-enthusiast" friend I have taken on the ride hated it. It always seems to have a line, though.

I can't believe the park is still sinking money into that POS. It needs to be come to the ground and be used for firewood! Sooner or later the park is going to realize it just isn't worth it anymore.

It would also make for a nice bonfire. I would help douce it with gasoline and be one of the first to light the match! ;)

Tina

Wes
06-23-2009, 08:24 AM
I couldn't understand why there was an hour wait for it in early May when I was up there.

I mean, at the other coasters maybe, but SOB?

Katie
06-23-2009, 09:36 AM
LOL thank god we got in line at the time we did Wes!

When I rode the back seat with Wes, it wasn't that bad. My back got a good crack from the ride, but nothing I couldn't handle and I have a herniated disc in my lower back. Just wish the backs of the seats sat a little higher on the back. Right where it sat did hurt.

To me, SoB is not a bad ride, the G-trains do help, however, it's a boring as hell layout. The first drop is incredible and it is a woodie and will shake you just like any other woodie, but this one goes 80+mph. Any idiot will know that it will shake and rattle a bit at that speed.

If they didn't bank some of the drops so much and instead had some different elements added with some airtime it would be a decent coaster.

Brian F
06-23-2009, 11:14 AM
If we're going to burn coasters, we start with Mean Streak. I've said for a while that we burn Mean Streak at night, with a bunch of ACErs standing around, holding hands and singing "Kum Bah Yah."

Steven
06-23-2009, 11:21 AM
Brian: I think you have the song quite wrong...

YouTube - bloodhound gang- fire water burn (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPkOZp5NWKo&feature=related)

coasterqueen
06-23-2009, 11:46 AM
I agree Steven! I would be the first to help torch Mean Streak as well. I will bring the marshmallows! :)

As far as SOB (and Mean Streak) people's bodies react in different ways to different coasters. What seems like hell to one person may seem pleasant to another. It all depends on a person's body, personal preferences, tolerance, etc.

I hear a lot more negative reviews on MS and SOB than positive, though.

-Tina

Jerry S
06-23-2009, 11:47 AM
Bloodhound Gang is awesome. Not like the Son of Beast. I haven't ridden it, but I see nothing good about it. No airtime, no quick direction changes. Just lies.

coasterqueen
06-23-2009, 11:54 AM
They could easily torch the thing and move Screechin' Eagle, Pippin, AND Big Dipper to KI, which are all much more enjoyable coasters.....three of the most insanely airtime-filled woodies I have been on. I don't know if the Eagle is too far gone to be saved but I know the Pippin and Big Dipper are still standing.

But that's just my dream. ;) That wouldn't be GP-correct.

-Tina

Wes
06-23-2009, 08:23 PM
This coaster has moved past famous to infamous (a long time ago I know).

But I thought it would be a decent ride, with good trains.

Seriously in the back row, the seat vibrated so bad on my seat that I had to pull myself up and hold myself off the back rest. It was like one of those foot vibrators, but times 10!

Leo C
06-24-2009, 12:53 AM
I wanted to be off the ride by the time I got through the first half of the helix. That wasn't a good thing to say since the track cracked there before and was derailed there right? Literally I could have been off the ride like that. The Son of Beast couldn't be like The Legend?

Rustbelt
06-24-2009, 08:16 AM
There was a History Channel show chronicled an abandoned amusement park. That show featured Americana (Lesourdville Lake) and Screechin' Eagle. How sad of a shape this coaster is in as of last year! They featured the owner Couch who seemed devastated about the situation, but he is one of the main reason for the coaster's demise. The coaster still looks good from the road whenever I drive by, but I do not think the Eagle can be saved now.

coasterlove
06-25-2009, 02:19 PM
Seriously, I don't see how you could have a head injury when you don't have a head rest on the thing.

If your head is shaken around, especially violently, a person could receive a head injury despite not actually hitting anything. I know both times I've been on it, my head hurt during the ride and nearly had a headache afterwards. I don't think the average person would suffer any ill effects that last longer than a few hours but I certainly think it's possible.

I'm not defending her case or saying I'm taking a side but I have no reason to doubt her. I've been on the ride twice and it's obviously faulty. If it wasn't, the ride wouldn't have needed to be "fixed" and altered in order to try and make it a better ride experience.

It's one coaster that truly needs to be demolished. I truly feel there is no saving this coaster. For the amount of money that has been spent and probably will be spent in the future on this, they could just get something better. Of course, for a buck you can get a double cheeseburger and I think most people who have had one as well as already been on SoB will choose the burger. I would.

Wes
06-25-2009, 07:35 PM
I agree, it's probably best to just let it burn but the public seems to love it for some strange reason.

As long as it still has riders, they probably won't remove it.