PDA

View Full Version : Viper Survey flags at SFOG

dakevsta
07-14-2001, 10:41 PM
Im sure all of you around Atlanta have seen or heard about the survey flags around the viper...They make a distinct lift hill pattern and the shape of what looks like a large helix....I dunno if they are marking water pipes or electrical lines but they've been pooping up a lot lately and people think SFOG will get a new coaster, which means no more viper....whats your opinon/idea???

dakevsta
07-14-2001, 10:41 PM
<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>On 2001-07-14 22:41, dakevsta wrote:
<BR>Im sure all of you around Atlanta have seen or heard about the survey flags around the viper...They make a distinct lift hill pattern and the shape of what looks like a large helix....I dunno if they are marking water pipes or electrical lines but they've been pooping up a lot lately and people think SFOG will get a new coaster, which means no more viper....whats your opinon/idea???
<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->
<BR>sorry....not POOPING...popping

slipknot8527
07-14-2001, 11:06 PM
Ive seen them. Last year these 3 workers swore to me that they were getting a superman ride...so Im gonna go on that.

Siaye
07-15-2001, 10:35 PM
I'd be sad to see it go. After all it was my sister's FIRST looping coaster. Maybe they can just move it? But if a hyper is built, I think it would be another Goliath or Titan clone. I was just there three days ago and I saw the orange flags. And there are at least two large helixes with a long straight line for the lift hill.

GeorgiaSchorcherfreak
07-16-2001, 12:42 PM
I rode Viper 4 times in June and never once did I see any survey markers (Maybe I looked in the wrong place) anyway I think that Viper should be relocated to where Freefall is.

slipknot8527
07-16-2001, 12:44 PM
the flags are to the left on the hill when you exit down the path, and to the right up on the hill when launching down the track.Also, there is NO Superman merchandise in Swampwater Jacks. I checked the whole store!

invertedCoaster
07-16-2001, 04:37 PM
The Viper Has Been My Favorite For a While
<BR>I went to Six Flags Over Georgia In June And
<BR>The Viper Was Closed But I didn't see no flags or nothin I thought they just might have been workin on it Witch I've never seen
<BR>Them doing Before.I'm ready for Dejavu to open The last time I went It wasn't open yet.Acrophobia was is the best ride over there right now I think.I don't no Why they still Got the Free Fall.
<BR>

rocketman23
07-16-2001, 05:44 PM
I sure hope they don't tear it down. That was my favorite coaster there. I think those type of coasters are HIGHLY underrated.

LastArchAngel
07-17-2001, 01:47 AM
I have went to the park ever sunday since early June, and the flags started popping up around mid June. (Same flags started popping u beside the go carts in October..now look what we got) Also, there is Superman merchandise in Swampwater Falls as of Sunday. Also, if you go to the shop beside batman, alot of Viper/Swampwater Jack merchandise is on sale.
<BR>
<BR>Since Gio has quit making coasters, I think Intamin will design a hyper twister for SFoG, much like Expedition GeFroce in Europe, or the end of Superman Ride of Steel (NE).
<BR>
<BR>But with the new construction on Deja Vu (they have a crane back at the park), i think Deja Vu will be opening in March when the park opens again, which isn't that much of wait, even though it should have already been open. If SFoG doesn't feel it is safe (like the signs say outside of it) I wouldn't want to ride it anyway until it is.
<BR>
<BR>I just hope SFoG still goes to build the ride even if Deja Vu isn't opening until 2002. Also, Intamin will be back in the fall to fix Acrophobia and its rotating mechanism. Lets hope they also come back to build us a new ride.

SFoGNuT
07-17-2001, 11:56 PM
Intamin definetly will be building a new ride for SFoG. They'll Be building a V2:Vertical Velocity clone and a Giga Coaster for SFoG. We'll also receive a B&M flying coaster. Viper will be relocated to gotham city in the axis arena area. Anyway De'ja Vu will open by october.

sfog2003
07-18-2001, 12:24 AM
That would be really cool if all that happened at sfog! Where did you get this information from? I think it will help people to realize that sfog is one of the top five six flags parks in the chain.

Motionman
07-18-2001, 12:48 AM
I can tell you they aren't getting anything similar to Goliath or Titan, since Giovanola stopped manufacturing rides.

raver135
07-19-2001, 10:12 AM
Me lub da viper. Plz move it! ;-p

dakevsta
07-20-2001, 04:38 PM
How could we get a giga???? there is a restricted height limit because the is an airport like 4 or 5 miles from SFOG....I doubt the flying coaster, A V2 clone sounds very possible, and maybe a hyper and not a giga....

edh101985
07-21-2001, 05:20 PM
Where are the flags? I am going to SFOG tomorrow and i want to look for them.

Kraken
07-21-2001, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Motionman
I can tell you they aren't getting anything similar to Goliath or Titan, since Giovanola stopped manufacturing rides.

Bullwaste, Giovanala hasn't stop making rides. They already made a Tilt coaster this year!

SFoGNuT
07-21-2001, 10:53 PM
In Response to sfog2003, I was able to get the info i posted in this forum from a anonamous source, along with calculations that i've done, and along with what makes the most sense for the park. In response to dakevsta's post, SFoG could add a giga by digging 115 ft. into the ground.

DeKalb
07-22-2001, 01:26 PM
I keep forgetting to go see the flagz every time I go to SFOG. It would cost too much to dig into the ground, but it wouldn't hurt if there's a coaster similar to Millennium Force 30 mins. from where I live.

edh101985
07-22-2001, 06:20 PM
I found out that viper will be gone. I asked the ride-op and he said it will be gone, but didnt know what will go in its place.

dakevsta
07-22-2001, 06:33 PM
115 ft into the ground???? seriouly... besides, giga's can cost like 20 to 50 million bux....And didnt six flags just make their largest expansion since the parks opening???OF 16 MILLION!!!!even if SFOG had 20 million to spare for a giga, it would cost a whole lot more to dig 150 feet into the ground, where water pipes are, by the way

raver135
07-24-2001, 11:50 AM
Well if it is a titan clone it will have to go into the ground anyways right, so isnt it perfectly possible that it could be a titan clone? The tallest structure in the park is the great gasp, the rollercoaster would be taller than this?

Great Gasp is taller than acrophobia, which is around 225 ft I think.

dakevsta
07-25-2001, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by raver135
Well if it is a titan clone it will have to go into the ground anyways right, so isnt it perfectly possible that it could be a titan clone? The tallest structure in the park is the great gasp, the rollercoaster would be taller than this?

Great Gasp is taller than acrophobia, which is around 225 ft I think.
U r right about how tall gr8 gasp is......NE wayz, Im sick of we'll get a clone of.....clone clone clone!!!!Maybe a V2 clone?????maybe a S:ROS Clone??? A Titan clone???? Maybe they will clone humans while they're at it....Parks need to get somthing original as a "centerpiece" or somthing that makes them noticeable by other park enthusiasts...SFOG has Acrophobia, which is really cool, but SFOG's coasters never seem to catch on.Nitro and Raging Bull caught on well so id like to see a B&M hyper, as well as maybe a floorless that has nothing to do with superman or Medusa... Id really like to see a TA2K with new elements I.E. vertical loop or a twist as it goes up the vertical hill.....but even just a TA2K would be a dream come true for SFOG!

person who loves coasters
07-25-2001, 02:18 PM
ive seen them coming down the exit of viper...i looked at saw a few of them and it looks like a new ride in place of viper (SFoG has land all along the right side of the park behind the mine train and all the way to almost the cyclone!) I hope its a b&m or intamin hyper/giga...that'd be sweet!

sfogwatcher
07-31-2001, 10:28 PM
I went to SFOG today 07/31/01 and I just wanted to clear up some of the crap that I have read on this board:

First off, someone stated that Viper had two trains. This is sooooo wrong. They way in which a shuttle loop works, there is no way to have a second train or even a switch in the track to change trains. The Boost that propels the train runs in the center of the track from the station to the loop.

Swampwater jacks merchandise: just because SFOG sells Superman T-shirts, that doesn’t mean that we are getting a ROS. SFOG has a deal with D. C. Comics (superman), why wouldn’t they try to sell any kind of T-shirt that sells. Also notice Viper T-shirts all over the park as well as Sperman and Batman (Does this mean that we are getting another Batman????)

Now for the new stuff:

There was a bulldozer and a drilling rig on the hill to the left of Viper (Left if you are on the ride) between Viper and the back of the midway. Also, there were bulldozer tracks up the hill to the right of the ride.

Déjà vu: Notice today that the cable from both lift hills was not even in the pullies, it was hanging from the towers and tied up with rope. I do not think this ride will open in 2001. The park has a new sign in front of the ride stating “Coming Soon” and something about safety first.
:confused:

sfogwatcher
08-01-2001, 07:03 AM
Also, they are clearing trees behind Free Fall next to the Log Ride??????

edh101985
08-01-2001, 08:53 AM
That is where viper will probably go if they relocate it.

coasterguy1
08-01-2001, 11:01 AM
I dont get why SFOG has a height restriction. A plane will probably be alot higher than 300 ft. within 4 or 5 miles of takeoff. oh well, im not the civil engineer of atlanta.

Fafolguy
08-01-2001, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by coasterguy1
I dont get why SFOG has a height restriction. A plane will probably be alot higher than 300 ft. within 4 or 5 miles of takeoff. oh well, im not the civil engineer of atlanta.

Wow, the height restriction rumors persist. There is no height restriction. The park doesn't align with the runways of the small airport nearby. Yes, the small private planes that use that airport would be that low, but not anywhere near the park.

As for SFoG needing a signature ride, they have one. It's been there for about 25 years, little thing called the mind bender. It is a unique ride and is, IMO, the best Schwartzkopf looper out there. Besides, at this point, how would a Hyper or Floorless be unique?

cgodsey
08-02-2001, 05:28 PM
I agree with you.. Getting a hyper will NOT give them a signature ride other than being the only Hypercoaster in the South.

There is a small Regional airport about 2 miles from SFOG so I would bet that they do have some sort of height restriction. I don't know for sure, but if it is that close to an airport, I would guess so.

Mind Bender
08-02-2001, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by cgodsey
I agree with you.. Getting a hyper will NOT give them a signature ride other than being the only Hypercoaster in the South.

You don't think that's a big deal? Having the only hypercoaster in the Southeast. SFOG doesn't care about records, but that's one they would like to have. Someone needs to win the race.

Mind Bender

edh101985
08-02-2001, 08:30 PM
SFOG needs a coaster like that because that would attract all the people driving down to WDW. Mabe a big coaster would get them to stop at SFOG.