PDA

View Full Version : Pepsi Max or Magnum

Eden the Coaster King
05-07-2001, 03:47 PM
Which is better?

skatestreet
05-07-2001, 03:58 PM
Sorry dude, but I highly doubt a lot of people have been to both Blackpool Pleasure Beach and Cedar Point.
<BR>
<BR>I've never been to BPB, but I have ridden Magnum and it is way overrated.<BR><BR><font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: skatestreet on 2001-05-09 18:52 ]</font>

Medusa1861
05-08-2001, 06:47 AM
From pictures it looks like pepsi max is better then Magnum

Lukedog
05-08-2001, 09:42 AM
Judging from how many times Magnum was rated as the number 1 coaster, I'm gonna have to say Magnum. I have also heard that The Pepsi Max is quite boring after the first drop. I am not sure of this due to the fact I have not ridden it though.

MarkRenwick
05-08-2001, 09:57 AM
Although PMBO is a greaat coaster and i have been on it many times after the first drop it isn't that great and magnum looks way better. Put it this way Nemesis is way better and in my pinnion Oblivion and Shockwave are also better.

crash
06-02-2002, 05:48 PM
magnum all the way,

the PMBO's first drop banks hard to the right and that is about all that it does its hills have a very low grade (as in steepness) and it is at least 20ft off the ground except for the first drop.

Not nearly as exciting, not very much airtime, and only a few feet taller at 213'.

Chris L
06-02-2002, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Lukedog
Judging from how many times Magnum was rated as the number 1 coaster, I'm gonna have to say Magnum. I have also heard that The Pepsi Max is quite boring after the first drop. I am not sure of this due to the fact I have not ridden it though.

Well the reason why Magnum XL-200 is so highly rated is because of it's status in amusement park history. It ignited the boom of the mega-coaster era. And despite being overshadowed by MUCH better predecessors, it still manages to stay "up there". And let's not forget that it's also located at Cedar Point and is in the U.S. which basically guarantees its high ranking, while on the other hand, Pepsi Max Big One is just another "unseen".

But what from I can see, Pepsi Max doesn't even look all that much better than Magnum XL-200. Both have those horrible pyramid top shaped bunny hills and rugged transitions. I'd give the upper hand to Magnum between these two because of its lake front setting and incredible tunnels :D

Oh, and this should be in Polls.

slipknot8527
06-02-2002, 06:20 PM
I'd have to say that Magnum looks better...even though it didn't impress me and it is way overrated, it still looks to be more thrilling than PMBO.

Coastr Crazy 72
06-02-2002, 06:21 PM
No way is magnum overrated...magnum is on my top 5 list and the air time is just incredible...after about the 3 hop i hav to hold my self down put my arms under the lap bar because it hurts my legs so much after all that great air time...and the first drop is relaly good and it is a little bumpy which adds to it impov

slipknot8527
06-02-2002, 06:26 PM
Well, as much hype as there was around it, I rode it in the front row and I couldnt see anything thanks to the pollen covered winshield, and it was just....boring.

Chris L
06-02-2002, 06:26 PM
If you think Magnum XL-200 isn't overrated, then that's your thing. It also probably means you haven't ridden the other truckload of hyper-coasters that are much better than it. It is overrated because it is constantly in the top 5 for the past ten years or so and is probably on every TV program about roller coasters. The damn thing is even in my math textbook.

Yes, it has airtime, and yes it has a great setting. I'm not saying the ride is a complete dud, it has its exciting parts, but IT IS OVERRATED. Terrible restraints, jolty transitions, bunny hops shaped like this - (literally) /\ , and a weak ending. But I don't want to bash it without giving it credit where it is due. (As mentioned before) - nice lakefront setting, great first drop, and supreme tunnels.

Alex T
06-02-2002, 06:43 PM
Magnum by far. I haven't ridden PMBO but it doesn't look as good. Magnum has some great airtime and a nice turnaround. Kraxle, why do you keep talking about the shape of the hills? There's nothing really wrong w/ them and they provide great ejector air. BTW, I also think Magnum is overrated, but it is still a really good ride. Also, THIS IS A POLL. Anything relating to someone's opinion or a which is better thread belongs in polls.

RaptorXLC
06-02-2002, 06:49 PM
I havent been on PMBO, but i think Magnum is better. How close are they in design, because I always heard they were the same, but they don't look anythink alike.

Chris L
06-02-2002, 06:56 PM
Oh don't make me show it to you!

These isn't even the best photograph depicting it, but it still does the job /\

Compare that to (used as an example) Goliath, which like most other modern day hyper-coasters, has a gradual curve at the apex of the hill, unlike Magnum's mountain top triangle hills

http://www.virtualmidway.com/rideimages/magnumxl2006.jpg

http://www.realcoasters.com/images/1_9/7run3.jpg

Alex T
06-02-2002, 06:59 PM
I know they are like that, but my ? is, is what's your point? So they are pointy, who really cares? I mean they provide some of the greatest ejector air, w/ out being very rough (yes they are kind of rough though) All I want to know is why you keep pointing out the shape of them?

lukejpowell
06-02-2002, 07:02 PM
I've ridden both... my thoughts:

Magnum - Extremely overrated coaster, dissapointing for the hype but decent non-the-less.

PMBO - Outstanding 1st drop rivalled only by Oblivion / Tonnerre De Zeus, the rest however is rough and boring.

I'd have to say Magnum is much better considering 99% of PMBO is so boring. Air beats them both ;)

Chris L
06-02-2002, 07:03 PM
Atrace - Because with a gradual flowing hill, you get both the sensation of incredibly airtime and comfort. With triangle tops, you get a terrifying "OMG I'm going to be thrown out" feeling tied with a "OH THAT [deleted] HURT!"

Alex T
06-02-2002, 07:08 PM
Ok, I understand what you are saying. Yeah it does give you a jolt into and out of your seat which isn't the greatest experience lol. Anyways, thanks for clarifing that.

edh101985
06-02-2002, 07:26 PM
Did anyone notice the date of this thread? It is over 1 year old. Why did you bring back this topic when it really had no reason to be brought up again?

Chris L
06-02-2002, 07:31 PM
I don't think it matters if it's old or not. I didn't notice that until you brought it up. A newbie brought it back from the depths of the forum archives :D

But it just means a repeat topic won'tl be made on this (what are the chances of that anyway ;)), and it's good to know some people are using the search option...

Kyle Rehm
06-02-2002, 08:19 PM
This is a poll and is being moved there! :) :sun:

Coastr Crazy 72
06-02-2002, 08:35 PM
kraxlahridah..drop it..we figured out the shape of the coastr and we figured out u dont like it that much....and yes i havnt ridden many other hyper coastrs....but MF has that same shape on their bunny hop and u dont get much air time on it..well not as much as u would on magnum...magnum is relaly good and i dont think it is overrated..and the reasn it is always in top 5 because it has history and it is in a great park..and it is one fo the 2 best in the park and world(from what ive heard and imo)
(this post is meant for the thing between atrace and kraxla...ignore it for this new topic we r on)

Chris L
06-02-2002, 08:49 PM
Coastr Crazy 72, if you had looked harder, you would have seen that Atrace and I came to an agreement.

And no, Millennium Force's final hop isn't the same as those on Magnum's rabbit hop run.

HyperDude94
06-02-2002, 08:56 PM
alright...lets act our age children...anway..i dont think that magnum is overrated at all...i mean you have to look at when it was built, it was the tallest and the fastest. it has been downsized by other coasters many times over but it is still the ride it was 10+ years ago it is just dominated by other coasters

may the FORCE be with you
06-02-2002, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by HyperDude94
alright...lets act our age children...anway..i dont think that magnum is overrated at all...i mean you have to look at when it was built, it was the tallest and the fastest. it has been downsized by other coasters many times over but it is still the ride it was 10+ years ago it is just dominated by other coasters okay, I think this poll only has one reponse from a person who has ridden both.

Aaron
06-03-2002, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by may the FORCE be with you
okay, I think this poll only has one reponse from a person who has ridden both. Now there's two. Here's my opinion

Magnum XL-200: I think that Magnum is a little overrated, and at times, it can get pretty rough. However, it's got a nice setting, I like the tunnels, and it's airtime isn't bad either.

Pepsi Max Big One: The first drop on this ride is very good, but after that, it just becomes pretty rough and boring. Not necessarily a bad ride, it's just that a good coaster should keep the excitement going through the whole ride, which, unfortunatley, PMBO doesn't do that.

I think that Magnum is better, because it stays fun through the whole ride. On PMBO, the fun dies off pretty quickly.

SKULLY
06-03-2002, 01:32 AM
In my opinion, Magnum sucks.PMBO

APJSFR1
06-03-2002, 08:10 AM
The thing that I dislike about Pepsi Max Big One is that after the first couple of drops, it is all hills but they are hardly steep!

Plus I hear that Magnum is exciting all the way through, with air in all of the hills!

But, since I have never been on either of them I will just leave it at a tie! I am a little biased though because I live in the U.S.of A.

ride6
06-03-2002, 06:53 PM
I rode magnum and have done alot of research on pepci max.
While Magnum is overated it's not a bad ride where max sounds poor after the beginning. I think Magnum wins. It's my #4 soon to be distroyed by bigger and better things the summer but it has a good start, a good middle and a ok end. (Those Bunny hops hurt my thighs!)

Jokercoaster
06-03-2002, 07:54 PM
Well the only cool thing about the soft drink hyper is that it was fit into a small area, other than that, it can't compare cause it has no airtime and really no fun.

Coastr Crazy 72
06-03-2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by kraxleRIDAH
Coastr Crazy 72, if you had looked harder, you would have seen that Atrace and I came to an agreement.

And no, Millennium Force's final hop isn't the same as those on Magnum's rabbit hop run.

sry kraxla..i kno u came to an agreement....i forgot to look at the second page,..my mistake and apology....and i think u misunderstood what i said....i said look at that first hill on MF and then look at Magnums hills....although magnums hills rnt smooth and look all that atractive it still gives u much better air time then the ones like MF...both hills r completely different and im sry if thats what i said but thats what i emant

gravitron
06-03-2002, 09:16 PM
Pepsi big max just cuz i hated magnum

X-Cellent
06-04-2002, 08:11 PM
Magnum is probably better I like Magnum's layout better because it looks like there is a lot of air but Pepsi Max has the great twisting drop. But I have heard the Pepsi is rough as hell so I have to go with Magnum XL-200.

markm62
06-04-2002, 10:08 PM
I say Magnum is slightly overrated, and I don't really have a solid opinion of Pepsi Max because I have never rode it, even though it looks really cool.

R@ptor
06-05-2002, 11:34 AM
Magnum is much better. Pepsi Max is quite boring and has no airtime at all.

Skye
06-05-2002, 04:43 PM
it deserves more credit than it gets though. Isn't it 235ft anyway?

Chris L
06-05-2002, 08:18 PM
Skye, are you talking about Pepsi Max? Because that thing is only 213'.