PDA

View Full Version : Kings Dominion announces Intimidator 305

Chip
08-20-2009, 01:11 PM
Kings Dominion announced Intimidator 305, a nearly milelong gigacoaster, for 2010.

Intimidator 305 will be 305 feet tall, drop 300 feet at an 85-degree angle and reach speeds of 92 mph. It will be 5,100 feet long. The ride will cover 5 acres and f... Click here to read more... (http://www.thrillnetwork.com/news/3119/kings-dominion-announces-intimidator-305.html)

Jerry S
08-20-2009, 01:18 PM
Looks pretty cool. Too many turns and not enough airtime hills, but I guess that's all they can do in the space they have. It still looks very cool the way it is.

rckrazy06
08-20-2009, 01:24 PM
Looks good, but I strongly feel the OTSRs are going to ruin the ride for a lot of people. Those are some sick lift supports to.

Steven
08-20-2009, 02:02 PM
Needs a HANS device.

Chip
08-20-2009, 03:32 PM
I'm surprised it took so long for another park to build a giga. 10 years!

Racer
08-20-2009, 03:33 PM
^^Haha! Good idea. I've been waiting for one of those on a NASCAR themed coaster. Actually, I've just been waiting for a NASCAR themed coaster beside Speedway Draft at NASCAR Speedpark in Sevierville.

Jerry S
08-20-2009, 03:39 PM
Also, the name Intimidator has a similar sound and feel to Dominator. Don't know if that's on purpose, I know the rides are far from each other but still, the two newest coasters.

Either way, I like the layout the more I look at it. It's not a lengthy out and back coaster with a lot of hills but instead it's a short, twisted, fast ride. I'll have to get to Virginia next year for sure, I haven't ridden Griffon yet.

James
08-20-2009, 04:30 PM
Kings Dominion announced Intimidator 305, the tallest coaster on the East Coast, for 2010.

So are we just ignoring Kingda Ka now or something?

Johnny Upsidedown
08-20-2009, 04:41 PM
I dont get this coaster, personally not what I expected from Cedar Fair. Its like they said give us the big drop and some lame a$$ turns along the ground. I really had hoped that they were going to put an end to Superman being on top. Figured they would have gone with a giant drop followed by a 200 foot hill then along the ground for a turn around and back for a few hills with a large spegetii bowl like Superman. Instaed they make a big drop and then well, ground turn then a none air time hill becuase it will be just lik MF, slow with a little pop sometimes. Then a bunch of turns and a break.. Heck I would have been happy with this,, Goliath (Walibi World) (http://www.rcdb.com/1565.htm?p=3343) Goliath at Walibi World.

rckrazy06
08-20-2009, 04:43 PM
Yeah well seeing as Kingda Ka is never open anymore, I guess it doesn't really count.

James
08-20-2009, 05:09 PM
100% agree with Johnny.

coasterlove
08-20-2009, 05:29 PM
I looked at the layout and I think it looks interesting. Have they given the heights for each individual hill and turn? They don't look like big hills in comparison to the lift hill so I'd expect some airtime...or hope for some anyway.

Leo C
08-20-2009, 06:08 PM
It looks like a correction for Hypersonic XLC, the Hypersonic done the Intamin way. I wanted a Piraten clone for Carowinds at least and this is what I got but at Kings Dominion. I agree with Johnny I would very much have liked a Goliath clone from Europe. I'll take this and the fact that Bizarro, the ride formerly known as Superman: Ride of Steel, at SFNE should be well protected now. I don't think its reputation should be challenged much by this.

Restraints: PLEASE don't chop my neck like on Maverick. This level of intensity might finish my neck off. I like the first turn on S:ROS SFA but it's done with lap bar.

Carowinds 73-03
08-20-2009, 07:10 PM
Bad idea to theme it to him. My guess is it will crash at some point.

Redfoot12
08-20-2009, 07:18 PM
^Oooooo---burn!

89magnumxl200
08-20-2009, 07:57 PM
Maybe it's just me, but this looks like the love child of MF and Maverick. And what the hell's the point of the OTSR anyway? Why would you put OTSR on a non-inverting, primarily speed and airtime coaster?

Kyle L
08-20-2009, 08:02 PM
I like how we're finally getting another Giga...and everyone is complaining.

coasterlove
08-20-2009, 09:44 PM
You know how it is Kyle, people are never satisifed. As soon as they hear about a new ride, they want to rip on it and can't wait for whatever the next big coaster announcement is. And they'll wait with anticipation...so when the day comes, they can complain about that new coaster.

Repeat cycle.

James
08-20-2009, 09:56 PM
^ Yup thats totally how I am.

There's a difference in "ripping" on it.. and just wishing they had pushed the design more.

The Gent
08-20-2009, 10:49 PM
It is a shame they couldn't add another 180 feet and gone for a full mile. Oh, well, looks like fun.

raser
08-20-2009, 11:38 PM
I don't know what anyone is complaining about, this ride looks great and any park would be happy to have this as an addition to their lineup. Is it me or has the TN crowd turned on cedar fair?...

Leo C
08-20-2009, 11:40 PM
I think it'll be a Prowler of a giga. I'm still going to ride it.

coasterlove
08-20-2009, 11:51 PM
^ Yup thats totally how I am.

There's a difference in "ripping" on it.. and just wishing they had pushed the design more.

You're assuming I'm talking about you?

I'm saying that in general, people aren't satisfied. Trust me, I'd call you or anyone else out if someone said something I really disagreed with. My problem with people complaining is that Intamin looks to be building a great coaster for Cedar Fair/Kings Dominion. The ride isn't even close to be finished yet nor has anyone been on it yet. How about giving it a chance first?

Also, I do see a lot of critisism towards Cedar Fair as a whole. And while no park or chain can be considered "perfect", I think Cedar Fair has been giving us some great attractions over the last decade and not just at Cedar Point. Compare that to Six Flags where only a few parks have gotten anything worth mentioning.

Leo C
08-20-2009, 11:56 PM
I was totally right about my first drop into a first hill perpendicular under the lift like Piraten guess.

Chip
08-21-2009, 12:30 AM
So are we just ignoring Kingda Ka now or something?
Corrected. And, yes, I was ignoring Kingda Ka.

Leo C
08-21-2009, 01:34 AM
I'm glad it was corrected. Kingda Ka is the world's tallest rollercoaster indeed - 456.

Jerry S
08-21-2009, 03:27 AM
Yea, I actually like the layout on this coaster. It looks a lot like a mega-lite, almost like a giga-lite. Got the speed and the hills but not the length. And that's a pretty gnarly first drop.

Leo C
08-21-2009, 07:51 AM
I think the hill through the lift is underestimated. I'm looking forward to seeing that now.

Wes
08-21-2009, 07:54 AM
You know how it is Kyle, people are never satisifed. As soon as they hear about a new ride, they want to rip on it and can't wait for whatever the next big coaster announcement is. And they'll wait with anticipation...so when the day comes, they can complain about that new coaster.

Repeat cycle.

Yeah I remember a lot of people complaining about Diamondback looking boring when they announced it last year.

I guess I should prepare myself for Wednesday when everyone says Carowinds' coaster will suck.

Brian F
08-21-2009, 09:44 AM
^ Yeah, I'm sure there will be someone who has ridden 300+ coasters that are less than 30 feet tall that will complain without giving any specific problems. But think about it- does anyone take that kind of person seriously?

James
08-21-2009, 10:54 AM
^ lol, that sounds just like me, only I'll back up my reasons :D

You're assuming I'm talking about you?
Nope, I didn't say anything bad about the ride. I just pointed out Chips false statement.

I'm saying that in general, people aren't satisfied. Trust me, I'd call you or anyone else out if someone said something I really disagreed with. My problem with people complaining is that Intamin looks to be building a great coaster for Cedar Fair/Kings Dominion. The ride isn't even close to be finished yet nor has anyone been on it yet. How about giving it a chance first?
Again. I was just saying why some people might be upset. Intamin gave the park///CF just what they wanted.. But some people just wanted to see it pushed more. This ride IS similar to a few coasters that are already around. I think people just wanted to see them really push the design OR people like me (and I guess Mr.Upsidedown) wanted to see something top SFNE's SROS. If you go back in the older KD topic.. I even said flat out "I hope this is a Superman-Killer" thats not a negative thing to say at all

Jerry S
08-21-2009, 02:06 PM
^Yea, this kind of complaining sounds more like "TTD should have more elements after the big hill." Obviously that would be better, but everybody likes it the way it is.

freest8r
08-21-2009, 02:39 PM
It says "Four passenger open design trains with overhead lap bar with shoulder straps". Maybe they're just shoulder straps that buckle in or something? It sure would be a disappointment if they're traditional OTSRs.

Wes
08-21-2009, 04:33 PM
Overhead lap bar, is an OTSR.

They don't make up those graphics for no reason.

coasterlove
08-22-2009, 12:33 AM
Again. I was just saying why some people might be upset. Intamin gave the park///CF just what they wanted.. But some people just wanted to see it pushed more. This ride IS similar to a few coasters that are already around. I think people just wanted to see them really push the design OR people like me (and I guess Mr.Upsidedown) wanted to see something top SFNE's SROS. If you go back in the older KD topic.. I even said flat out "I hope this is a Superman-Killer" thats not a negative thing to say at all

All valid points but again, I wasn't directing my point at you. I guess I just look at it like a giga coaster is a rare thing and I'm excited to see another. This is only the seventh coaster to reach over 300 feet tall and just one of eight or nine that are faster than 90mph. A lot of people love height and speed and anything else is just icing. I look at the layout and it looks like it should be fun.

Sure, I wouldn't mind some more elements and I'd also would've prefered the track length been longer as well. Hell, I could go on and say I wish it was taller and surpassed Millennium Force for height and speed but in that regard, I guess I'll never truly be satisfied. Otherwise, I'm happy with what I've seen so far.

I know I'd be happy as a clam if something like this was going in to my homepark or at least a bit closer. I can't complain too much since Cedar Point is "only" 300 miles away from where I live but I'd love to have a giga within an hour of me instead of five to six hours away. I think a lot of people would feel the same.

bk2004
08-22-2009, 02:20 AM
I agree with Johnny...why in the world did they spend $25 million for this type of layout? They might as well have topped Kingda Ka and had the world's tallest instead of the tallest in the "Mid-Atlantic" with that $25 million. Or saved $10 million and build an Intamin Mega!

I'm not complaining, I'm just explaining. I'm happy to see another Giga out there and sorta close to me, just don't get it 100%.

coasterlove
08-22-2009, 10:19 AM
Building something taller than Kingda Ka would've been great and I'd love to see a new record breaker. The problem is, Kingda Ka cost $30 million if not $35 million, I can't remember. So Cedar Fair would've had to spend quite a bit more to top Kingda Ka.

And who knows what they have in mind for the future?

Brian F
08-22-2009, 11:02 AM
Well, I know this thought might seem a bit radical, and I don't want to get TOO off the wall, but perhaps we might hold off on deciding for sure whether or not the coaster sucks until someone actually rides it?

Numbers don't always tell the whole story- Look at Cornball Express

Jerry S
08-22-2009, 02:32 PM
I agree, I'm going to take this ride for what it is. Steep drop, airtime hills, twist and turns, all taken at high speeds. It sounds pretty damn fun if you ask me.

raser
08-23-2009, 10:34 AM
^ Brian I agree, I loved Cornball,... Does that make me a cornball ?

Leo C
08-23-2009, 10:27 PM
On the Scape they talked about the Intamin Tornado spinning coaster at Bakken, Denmark. Even though it is just a small scale spinner coaster it has OTSRs too! No one seems to be immune.

Chip
08-23-2009, 10:47 PM
Sounds like those type of restraints are going to be standard on all Intamins except maybe wooden coasters. It's a lot harder to fall out of those.

Leo C
08-23-2009, 10:51 PM
Does the heaviness of those restraints carry over from the hydraulic launchers? They are more difficult to get under than the B&M ones which is hardly at all.

freest8r
08-25-2009, 12:38 PM
Overhead lap bar, is an OTSR.

They don't make up those graphics for no reason.

Yeah. Bummer. I'm guessing it's the lateral forces that they're concerned with. Plus it fits in better with the Earnhardt theme right? Dang, just not good. Shoulder restraints are the number 1 factor for me in whether or not I really enjoy the coaster. Still really looking forward to this ride, in spite of that. I may have to get Max passes next year.