PDA

View Full Version : SFOG expects to open Saturday despite floods

Chip
09-22-2009, 12:49 PM
Six Flags Over Georgia employees are hoping to have the park open Saturday as floodwaters recede.

Northern Georgia and metro Atlanta have been inundated with record-breaking rain the past few days, flooding and closing roads. At least seven people... Click here to read more... (http://www.thrillnetwork.com/news/3224/sfog-expects-open-floods.html)

Racer
09-22-2009, 01:32 PM
I'm not so sure they will reopen just yet. The heavy rains were too much to be able to clear out that quickly, and there might be more on the way. SFOG always floods with heavy rain. I just wish that I was around to get a picture of Mindbender under water, which happened the last time we got rain like this.

Wes
09-22-2009, 01:33 PM
As many times as this has happened, (this is the third time I can recall myself), you'd think they would have figured out a way to prevent this.

Katie
09-22-2009, 01:44 PM
Is that GASM under water? That doesn't look very good? How long has the water been that high? A few days?

It's going to take a lot more to clean that mess up then just a few days. Plus getting all the rides back up to code? Should be fun...

I heard that Ninja gets flooded a lot, is that true?

wookiewes
09-22-2009, 01:53 PM
Scream Machine,Ninja, Mindbender, Batman,Wheelie, Lickskillet Sky Buckets station,Thomas Town, Entrance to Thunder River and the parking lot from what I have seen on tv are all under water.

Chip
09-22-2009, 02:49 PM
I have updated the story with aerial photos that show the park and other areas in Georgia.

Racer
09-22-2009, 03:20 PM
Is that GASM under water? That doesn't look very good? How long has the water been that high? A few days?

It's going to take a lot more to clean that mess up then just a few days. Plus getting all the rides back up to code? Should be fun...

I heard that Ninja gets flooded a lot, is that true?

This rain has been going on for more than 8 days. Mindbender floods a lot. I'm not sure about Ninja. I know Deja Vu did when it was in the park.

Scream Machine,Ninja, Mindbender, Batman,Wheelie, Lickskillet Sky Buckets station,Thomas Town, Entrance to Thunder River and the parking lot from what I have seen on tv are all under water.

More than that. I'll bet that parts of Cyclone, Scorcher, Dahlonega Mine Train, and more. Actually, the whole park's under water, with the exception of Carousel Hill. I guess this seals the Drive-In Theater's fate.

The bad part is that Douglas County got the worst of it. It's a good thing I'm not home right now, but my family got caught up in it and my bedroom got some water in it.

This reminds me of seeing SFNO under water.

SFoGGuy
09-22-2009, 04:15 PM
I wish they would let me pay extra and ride all the rides while they are under water today. That would be cool.

Carowinds 73-03
09-22-2009, 06:58 PM
LOL. I love seeing the park flooded. I could see them opening by saturday because they don't really care how the parks look or how safe the rides are so i would not be the least bit suprised if it were open Sat.

Leo C
09-22-2009, 07:32 PM
That looks really bad. It took me awhile to figure that was not Cyclone but GASM! It's like Willy Wonka's factory had a break up river. I can imagine a lengthy cleanup. Hersheypark had to go through this before too by Comet and SooperDooperLooper in recent years.

Wes
09-22-2009, 07:37 PM
I wish they would let me pay extra and ride all the rides while they are under water today. That would be cool.

As most of them are under water, you want to be drowned?

Racer
09-22-2009, 07:41 PM
^^^I don't see it happening. Even if they did, half of their rides would be closed. Batman, Mindbender, Wheelie, GASM, Ninja, Thomas Town, and several more have all been under water for at least 8 days. Most of the rides that are under water have moving parts completely submerged. Clearing the water out will take about 2-3 days, then inspecting will take another day or two, then replacing damaged parts will take another day, then testing, and before you know it, it's next Tuesday.

There is a lot more water there than you guys think there is. Mindbender has at least 20 feet of water over it, Wheelie is completely submerged to the point where you can barely see it, and not to mention that the entire parking lot and I-20 are completely under about 10 feet of water.

They are going to have a major problem with GASM. With all of that wood being submerged, it is soaking up a ton of water, which will then cause the wood to swell up, cause the bolts to squeeze it and crack the wood. The entire station is under water, everything will need replacing; the trains, control panels, brakes, etc.

Scioneer
09-22-2009, 08:37 PM
From the looks of it in the photos GASM might be a total loss. Woodies don't handle floods as well as steel coasters.

Racer
09-22-2009, 10:20 PM
I don't think GASM had much time left anyways.

cplover34
09-22-2009, 10:26 PM
As many times as this has happened, (this is the third time I can recall myself), you'd think they would have figured out a way to prevent this.

You can't prevent rain falling from the sky.

Dalee4lifefan
09-23-2009, 06:39 AM
SFOG might end up being another SFNO. The dang ceo could of used the money from the insurance to fix up SFNO. He just left it closed. To put it truefully, the Six Flags ceo needs to go. Heck, get rid of all the Six Flags suits. Lol.

Wes
09-23-2009, 09:18 AM
You can't prevent rain falling from the sky.

No, but it's obvious that SFOG is in a flood plane and you'd think they would have built some sort of retaining wall or something to keep the river from flooding into the place.

A pic I ran across...
http://www.thrillnetwork.com/boards/attachment.php?attachmentid=16800&stc=1&d=1253832840

tntornadox
09-23-2009, 06:33 PM
No, but it's obvious that SFOG is in a flood plane and you'd think they would have built some sort of retaining wall or something to keep the river from flooding into the place.

Precisely- the Cumberland River overflowed into Opryland just a few years after it opened in Nashville in the 1970s... and it only happened once- they built a huge concrete and earthen berm that separated the river from the theme park. Never happened again- as many have said... this has happened many times at SFoG, you'd think they'd get the point by now, wouldn't you?

Racer
09-23-2009, 09:17 PM
Wes, I can't see the picture you posted...

Leo C
09-23-2009, 10:19 PM
At SFOG's Thomas Town only a play structure and two plastic photo props? have to be hosed off. I can imagine the damage to the train and the shop though. That might be the slight good in having such a small Thomas Town there.

wookiewes
09-24-2009, 11:31 AM
A park employee on another web site said that the go carts where moved to higher ground and other flood preparations where done. He also said the train for Thomas was fine. I may go on Saturday if they open and I can get to the park.

Dalee4lifefan
09-24-2009, 04:42 PM
A park employee isnt allowed to say anything about his or her park on any roller coaster fan sites. This is due to the fact that what he or she say's may not be true. I seen the pics of the park, and most of the rides are or were under water. The park will have to go though a very big clean up to get the park open. And most of the rides and coasters may need to be replaced or torn down for good. The state inspectors will have to inspect all of the rides for any problems.

wookiewes
09-24-2009, 05:27 PM
A park employee isnt allowed to say anything about his or her park on any roller coaster fan sites. This is due to the fact that what he or she say's may not be true. I seen the pics of the park, and most of the rides are or were under water. The park will have to go though a very big clean up to get the park open. And most of the rides and coasters may need to be replaced or torn down for good. The state inspectors will have to inspect all of the rides for any problems.

I am well aware of park employee's not being an official spokesman for the park. But general conversation about a flood and how the park handle is not as top secret as him leaking info of a coming attraction. The park has been flooded in the past and the same coaster's and rides have been flooded before so I believe they will be safe.

Wes
09-24-2009, 05:56 PM
Wes, I can't see the picture you posted...

I think I got the right one posted now.

I've downloaded a couple for my own personal records, and I think that's the one that wasn't on the link someone mentioned.

Racer
09-24-2009, 07:20 PM
^I can see it now! I guess Six Flags doesn't realize just how deep GASM was under water. I'll give you a hint- it's at least 15 feet. There's no way they can get that much water out by Saturday.

Leo C
09-24-2009, 11:14 PM
That whole lower section should be closed and I bet the State should be there to inspect GASM.

Scioneer
09-24-2009, 11:16 PM
I just hope the GASM proves to be a very resilient old coaster. Last thing we need to lose is another Allen Coaster.

Wes
09-25-2009, 11:35 AM
From SFOG's Facebook feed:
Six Flags Over Georgia will be near 100% operational this weekend! We look forward to seeing all of our guests and celebrating Military Appreciation Days!

Cuddy
09-25-2009, 01:01 PM
Does this make GASM a water coaster?

Wes
09-25-2009, 04:30 PM
GASM will be the 1% i guess that won't be open. ;)

Leo C
09-25-2009, 06:35 PM
An Aquaman splash down coaster is coming to SFOG?

wookiewes
09-25-2009, 06:56 PM
Here is a news article with a video of the park cleaning up.
Six Flags to Open Four Days After Flooding - 11Alive.com | WXIA | Atlanta, GA (http://www.11alive.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=135580&catid=3)

Michael C
09-26-2009, 12:27 AM
^I can see it now! I guess Six Flags doesn't realize just how deep GASM was under water. I'll give you a hint- it's at least 15 feet. There's no way they can get that much water out by Saturday.

In the past they simply shut down this section of the park and opened the rest.

I'm not surprised they moved the rides to higher ground. For the most part it will just be clean up and some restoration. Nothing terrible. The water is muddy not toxic so you won't have the problems seen at SFNO.

fjdollars2010
09-26-2009, 01:37 AM
^^^I don't see it happening. Even if they did, half of their rides would be closed. Batman, Mindbender, Wheelie, GASM, Ninja, Thomas Town, and several more have all been under water for at least 8 days. Most of the rides that are under water have moving parts completely submerged. Clearing the water out will take about 2-3 days, then inspecting will take another day or two, then replacing damaged parts will take another day, then testing, and before you know it, it's next Tuesday.

There is a lot more water there than you guys think there is. Mindbender has at least 20 feet of water over it, Wheelie is completely submerged to the point where you can barely see it, and not to mention that the entire parking lot and I-20 are completely under about 10 feet of water.

They are going to have a major problem with GASM. With all of that wood being submerged, it is soaking up a ton of water, which will then cause the wood to swell up, cause the bolts to squeeze it and crack the wood. The entire station is under water, everything will need replacing; the trains, control panels, brakes, etc.

For you to have worked at SFOG you sure don't know alot about the rides. All of our coasters are built to withstand flooding far worse than what we experienced this past week. As a matter of fact I was at work yesterday and witnessed a small army of mechanics and electricians working on Ninja, Scream Machine and Wheelie. Ninja and Scream Machine in particular were given alot of attention. On a positive note around 7pm that night I heard one of the coasters warning horn sound. I couldn't tell if it was ninja or scream machine but they have definately made progress. Of course they didnt cycle any trains but the ride control systems were aparantely working.

This rain has been going on for more than 8 days. Mindbender floods a lot. I'm not sure about Ninja. I know Deja Vu did when it was in the park.

More than that. I'll bet that parts of Cyclone, Scorcher, Dahlonega Mine Train, and more. Actually, the whole park's under water, with the exception of Carousel Hill. I guess this seals the Drive-In Theater's fate.

The bad part is that Douglas County got the worst of it. It's a good thing I'm not home right now, but my family got caught up in it and my bedroom got some water in it.

This reminds me of seeing SFNO under water.

Actually the front half of the park was not really affected. Cyclone, Scorcher and Mine Train are just fine. As a matter of fact they were testing Acrophobia yesterday.

LOL. I love seeing the park flooded. I could see them opening by saturday because they don't really care how the parks look or how safe the rides are so i would not be the least bit suprised if it were open Sat.

As much training as I have had to go through at Six Flags I can't believe what I have read here. I can't begin to tell you how many classes and tests I have had to take before I could even step foot on a ride dock as an attendant not an operator but an attendant. Every ride is different and every ride has its own test not to mention the general tests that everyone has to take. We are very well trained and would never operate any ride that was unsafe. We perform safety checks at least twice a day as operators where we ride the rides listening for unusual noises, vibrations, smells, anything out of the ordinary. This is in addition to the testing the rides go through from the mechanics and electricians everyday before they are even given to us. If you on a ride espicially my ride trust that you are safe.

Katie
09-26-2009, 10:35 AM
Ok, maybe it's just your park, but it's evident from SFKK that they weren't trained properly when it comes to E-Stop and catastrophic accidents. So, maybe Six Flags has a good program at one park and crappy at another? Shouldn't there be chain wide policies about training and paying attention to rides?

Oh, I guess not, instead of hitting E-Stop when a cable came loose they pick up the phone and call someone. And for that mistake a girl lost her feet. (She got one re-attached thank god).

So, please don't act all high and mighty to regular posters on here. You are the newbie, don't go spouting off saying someone is wrong because what they post.

tntornadox
09-26-2009, 05:21 PM
^ We all know every Six Flags is different in many ways. I know you were trying to prove your point, but SFKK's incident has nothing to do with anything here- comparing SFKK to SFoG is like apples to oranges. Anyone at any park could be caught off-guard and not hit an E-Stop when neccessary... it happens at every chain- the station attendant could have killed the power to the monorail at WDW a few months ago and saved a life, but they weren't paying attention...

It's refreshing to me to see someone take pride and use professionalism in their work as a ride attendant.

Katie
09-26-2009, 05:25 PM
Oh I completely agree when it comes to someone enjoying their work. But, as a company Six Flags is a scattered as any other company on the map. Not every park is consistent with policies, passes, parking, food, you name it.

At the same time, when someone jumps in on this site telling someone they don't know what they are talking about should really take a step back before posting the way he did. No one is perfect and not one park has it all.

I, myself, just want to see respect between members. New and old. That's how this site works and it will continue to work.

Does anyone know if the park opened today or is it still closed? If the park opened, what rides and things were still closed?

Racer
09-26-2009, 07:06 PM
I would say that the park opened, but not for long since it stsrted to rain again. I don't know for sure though.

Leo C
09-26-2009, 08:11 PM
Racer was a very hospitable host when I came to visit SFOG so I would cut your co-worker a break. He did a very good job showing me a first timer the ins and outs of SFOG, even pointed out where Deja Vu's pieces lie from the view up on Acrophobia. He represents the park well.

Racer
09-26-2009, 09:43 PM
Thanks Leo. :)

Dalee4lifefan
09-27-2009, 04:36 PM
To put it truefully, Six Flags as a whole isnt doing good. They are the only park chain to file chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. And the fact that the New York Stock Exchange delisted Six Flags tells the story. I would have to say that Six Flags is the only major park chain to have so many accidents that are the parks fault. People think that they are so great, but ceo Mark Shapiro just doesnt care about giving money to parks for maintance. Hence why most rides arent being fixed so often. I did do research on the chapter 11 and the NYSE delist of Six Flags.

Leo C
09-27-2009, 08:48 PM
I wouldn't say that Shapiro does not care but the whole situation involved carefully management. How much of the entertainment sector do they hold? We kind of have to hold our breath for this chain. They're like a Bank of America, GM, or Wells Fargo in our country for rollercoasters. It sure did sound crappy to me that they were delisted. I read that and knew what was going on for quite a few years. Of course I felt very lucky to rake up almost all the parks in recent years. I want to see as many retain the name as possible especially the Pre-Premier core. I only have SFStL and SFGAM left to visit.

fjdollars2010
09-27-2009, 11:17 PM
SFOG was open this weekend including GASM and the Ninja. The only section of the park that was closed this week was Lickskillet. The rides that were down were Skybuckets, Thomas Town, Thunder River, Splash, and Wheelie. Mindbender opened today as well which is saying alot considering the location of its computers. Conserning my comments towards racer I do tend to come off strong I appologise, no harm was inteded.

Ok, maybe it's just your park, but it's evident from SFKK that they weren't trained properly when it comes to E-Stop and catastrophic accidents. So, maybe Six Flags has a good program at one park and crappy at another? Shouldn't there be chain wide policies about training and paying attention to rides?

Oh, I guess not, instead of hitting E-Stop when a cable came loose they pick up the phone and call someone. And for that mistake a girl lost her feet. (She got one re-attached thank god).

So, please don't act all high and mighty to regular posters on here. You are the newbie, don't go spouting off saying someone is wrong because what they post.

I'm not sure what the incident at SFKK has to do with anything I said however let me point out that there are situations that occur that they do not train you how to handle and you have to wing it. When they trained me on Acrophobia they were very clear on when to use e-stop (guest unbuckles seatbelt, cable breaks or slacks, guests run onto pad) just to name a few. I can say that when sh** happens it's very easy to panic and all that training goes out the window. I know it's happened to me before and I've seen or heard about it happening to others. Things happen it's a fact of life. I know on Acro theres a safety system called "Syronnization" it monitors the tension on the cables if one was to break or even if the wind blows to hard and causes one cable to take more of the load than the other three the ride will stop itself. I don't know why SFKK's drop tower didnt have that feature

Steven
09-28-2009, 07:04 AM
I'm not sure what the incident at SFKK has to do with anything I said however let me point out that there are situations that occur that they do not train you how to handle and you have to wing it. When they trained me on Acrophobia they were very clear on when to use e-stop (guest unbuckles seatbelt, cable breaks or slacks, guests run onto pad) just to name a few. I can say that when sh** happens it's very easy to panic and all that training goes out the window. I know it's happened to me before and I've seen or heard about it happening to others. Things happen it's a fact of life. I know on Acro theres a safety system called "Syronnization" it monitors the tension on the cables if one was to break or even if the wind blows to hard and causes one cable to take more of the load than the other three the ride will stop itself. I don't know why SFKK's drop tower didnt have that feature

Let me just welcome you to TN, fjdollars2010. However, we don't allow double posting. I've merged your two posts into one to demonstrate how it's done. You should also pay attention to an earlier post you made, which has also been merged by another moderator.

Perhaps the fact that investigators of that incident at SFKK cited improper cables and improper maintenance should shed a clue why it "didn't have that feature," or it could have indeed not had that feature altogether.

I've worked on several rides at two parks, and each time, there is a specific time we are told we can use an e-stop, and how the e-stop behaves. Over and above that, we also had other specific procedures laid out in cases of emergency. Before we could even touch the controls in most cases, we had to take a visual board exam, and pass with only getting one or two wrong. However, at Michigan's Adventure, where I did my first bit of work, we didn't have the visuals, nor did we have a real operations manual like I got at Cedar Point (this was because the park was still being transitioned into the Cedar Fair way of operations). That, I believe, all came in subsequent seasons. Still, we got a lot of the aforementioned information and training.

However, in my observations and reports from others, there have been lots of inconsistency in operations between Six Flags parks. Some seem to run decent, but then some are lax, especially in terms of supervision and training. That is why you hear of some cases of operators too busy on their cells txting or not paying attention to things. Plus, you've had cases where their actions have indirectly led to the deaths of people (such as the Superman: ROS incident at SFNE), when a man should not have been allowed to ride due to his girth and inability to properly secure himself was allowed to do so with minimal checking of his restraints and such... he was thrown off toward the end of the ride and was killed.

Leo C
09-28-2009, 07:08 AM
It could depend by state regulation/labor departments too. Here in NJ I've heard the operators say "Visual scan" during loading cycles all season but not in other parks in other states.

I'm really encouraged to hear GASM was back at SFOG.

Scioneer
09-28-2009, 06:52 PM
Same here about the Screamer. Its the main reason I'd like to one day visit the park.

Wes
09-28-2009, 08:00 PM
Good to hear the park was open and so much was open in the park.