PDA

View Full Version : Shoot the Rapids won't open with park

Chip
05-11-2010, 03:16 PM
Cedar Point's Shoot the Rapids is delayed and will not open on the park's opening day.

The Intamin water ride's opening will be May 29, not May 15. The media day has been canceled. The park delayed the opening for additional testing and inspect... Click here to read more... (http://www.thrillnetwork.com/news/3727/shoot-the-rapids-wont-open-with-park.html)

Vince
05-11-2010, 04:22 PM
The Sandusky Register is reporting that the boats, which were contracted out, are too long to fit the ride, and cause excessive damage to the boats and the ride.

Source (http://sanduskyregister.com/articles/2010/05/11/front/doc4be82bf01b51e937174743.txt)

Leo C
05-11-2010, 05:06 PM
Memorial Day is a normal time for water rides to debut for the season.

Vince
05-11-2010, 09:19 PM
Shoot the Rapids, according to Tony Clark, the Interactive Marketing Manager for Cedar Point, will be able to operate the entire time the CP is open, all the way through the end of October. If you've ever been in Sandusky in late October, you know why this sounds rediculous, however StR was built so that the amount of water dumped on a guest can vary. In warm weather, everything in the ride, including the waterfalls, water bombs, and water cannons, will be in operation. However, in the colder months, CP has the ability to tone down these effects so you don't necessarily get drenched on the ride, however you may get a sprinkling.

Not trying to be a smart-alec teenager or anything. I'm just trying to get the facts in. Leo, I know rides typically open near Memorial day and close somewhere in September, however StR is not your typical water ride.

Leo C
05-11-2010, 11:49 PM
Cool. Movietown Water Effect at SFGADV was just bare bones compared to that and worked with those calendar parameters of Memorial Day to Labor Day. Staffing probably weighed into that as well. It would be cool to see altered to season effects on the modern ride.

Antoine
05-11-2010, 11:59 PM
Geez, I just can't catch a break on my coaster road trip this year. I'll miss Shoot the Rapids since Ill be at Cedar Point this weekend. I tell you what, if Maverick is closed too, I am going postal on someone.lol

Leo C
05-12-2010, 01:03 AM
At least your neck would be saved.

Dalee4lifefan
05-12-2010, 05:01 AM
Its opening weekend. Dont bet on all of the rides to be running right or at all. Millennium Force last year at opening weekend had something break on the lift hill.

Antoine
05-12-2010, 09:05 AM
^^Honestly, I find that inexcusable. For opening weekend I believe that every ride should be running. You only have the entire winter to work out all the kinks and everything. For a brand new ride I can understand though because things happen. There is testing, modifications, etc. But a ride that has been around for years, it should be primed and ready to go issue free weeks (even months) in advance. Now I know things do happen where something breaks at the last minute, that is excusable. But if a ride was closed early the season before and STILL won't open on time, there is an issue. Hence why I say we have seen the last of SOB at CP's sister park. It will become fire wood, mark my word.

MaGnUmKeLly
05-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Maybe you should go and apply for maint. for them then. Stuff happens , people just have to deal with it.

Cuddy
05-12-2010, 02:27 PM
I can hear the complaints now if it is windy like it was the last few weekends. "What do you mean Millennium, Raptor, Magnum and Sky Ride won't run today??"

Michael C
05-12-2010, 06:58 PM
I want to know who drooped the ball. the boats were built too big. Sounds more like teh troughs and lists were built wrong

at least they know the problem so it won't be huge delay.

Antoine
05-12-2010, 11:25 PM
Maybe you should go and apply for maint. for them then. Stuff happens , people just have to deal with it.

Wow, you CLEARLY did not read a single thing I said! So I will better explain and maybe you will understand. Cedar Point has had a good 5 months to pull every type of maintenance check on all their rides in preparation for the season opening. That gives them time to fix all the kinks with every ride. That makes it prime and ready to go opening day. HOWEVER, there are situations that are beyond their control such as maybe a cable snapping on TTD a week before the park opens. You can't prepare for that. With brand new rides there are too many unknowns and you can never expect them to open on time everytime. Nothing wrong with that at all. Some of the best rides out there opened late cause of last minute delays or problems. But if this isn't a brand new ride and they have had it for years, they have ample time to fix it. But the unforseen does occur. HOWEVER, if a ride is totally ready for opening day with no problems and a park still won't open it, THAT is what I find inexcusable. I get the part that some rides can't function in certain types of weather. Regardless, it should still be ready to go in case the weather changes. That is the point I was trying to make there.

Brian F
05-13-2010, 02:20 AM
You weren't very clear in your first post. But, why would a park keep a ride closed without a valid reason, since that's what you're suggesting?

Dalee4lifefan
05-13-2010, 04:15 AM
Wow, you CLEARLY did not read a single thing I said! So I will better explain and maybe you will understand. Cedar Point has had a good 5 months to pull every type of maintenance check on all their rides in preparation for the season opening. That gives them time to fix all the kinks with every ride. That makes it prime and ready to go opening day. HOWEVER, there are situations that are beyond their control such as maybe a cable snapping on TTD a week before the park opens. You can't prepare for that. With brand new rides there are too many unknowns and you can never expect them to open on time everytime. Nothing wrong with that at all. Some of the best rides out there opened late cause of last minute delays or problems. But if this isn't a brand new ride and they have had it for years, they have ample time to fix it. But the unforseen does occur. HOWEVER, if a ride is totally ready for opening day with no problems and a park still won't open it, THAT is what I find inexcusable. I get the part that some rides can't function in certain types of weather. Regardless, it should still be ready to go in case the weather changes. That is the point I was trying to make there.

You cant really test a ride during the winter up at Cedar Point. Its really cold and you get lake effect snow. Ohio and Georiga weather is different. I been in Sandusky during the winter. It's almost 25 to 50 degrees cooler in the winter. And you have to remember that the state has to inspect every ride and waterslide that Cedar Point has from top to bottom every year. If Cedar Point doesn't feel the need to open a ride when opening day comes, then they don't have to. If you feel that you can run the park better then by all means, do it. We live in a sue happy country that the people would sue a bird if they could. Cedar Point has to uphold safety standards that the state and the park puts in place to keep us safe. And if people can't understand that and feel the need to go to guest services and make a fool of themselfs, then that's fine with me. Would not be the first time i've seen it.

Leo C
05-13-2010, 07:21 AM
I missed Pilgrim Plunge when I went to Holiday World in June last year. There was some sort of operational restriction around noon. I said "Oh well."

rider-x
05-13-2010, 09:43 AM
ooohhhh!!! you guys are scary with your bold yelling type. Cool down the pace, were talking about a flume ride. A lot of people get very angry on this site when someone disagrees with them.

Cuddy
05-13-2010, 04:19 PM
^They do? Never seen that before ;) Obviously you remember the great Cp vs SFMM debates.

The way the weather has been lately in Ohio, with it being so cool, even if STR was ready to open, I wouldn't want to ride it this early on. Might be close to 70 outside now, but with the winds off the lake, you can take at least 5 degrees off the temp, if not more.

Antoine
05-13-2010, 05:09 PM
^^What debate? Everyone knows that SFMM rules!!! I'll wait for the bashing now.lol

MaGnUmKeLly
05-14-2010, 09:21 AM

Actually I do know, i used to work for the park for 7 years. I know what they have to do to get things ready for the park. Yeah i miss read what you said there. Still people need to realize when they go to a park, things happen.

Chip
05-28-2010, 01:05 PM
Looks like it won't be open Saturday either.