PDA

View Full Version : Knott's and Jack Fallas Stunning Announcement!

Rollerrowb
07-25-2001, 03:54 PM
This is an interview featuring Jim Disney of Wetcoaster.net and Jack Fallas of KNotts West Coast Operations. Look and read it carefully!

JD: Yeah, weíve all had our headaches with the complaints from the neighbors, itís good to hear that youíre taking that into account. Iíd heard somewhere that anything you install in that area cannot be any louder than Windjammer, is that true.

JF: Yes, and this ride will actually be more quiet than Windjammer. Weíre borrowing a few ideas that other parks have been using to keep noise down on these rides. Like filling certain areas of track with sand to kill the noise, and the newest innovation actually is something that Disney is using on their California Screaminí coaster, this ride will be mounted on the new rubber pads that ride uses. When I left Cedar Point, we had just started the Millennium Force projectÖ at that point we knew it was going to be a three-hundred footer and some of the original design elements are actually being borrowed here. Iím really excited and canít wait to announce this ride.

JD: Well, Jack, I canít wait to see it! Iíd like to thank you for your time on this interview, itís been a real pleasure. As always, itís great talking with you.

JF: Thank you, itís been my pleasure.

From my interpretation, it sounds like Knott's will be building the Giga everyone wants! Sweet. Lets get in line now!

Coalhouse
07-25-2001, 04:40 PM
I'm pretty suprised that they're putting the same S&S attraction that's going in at MM. Hopefully this will drive the price down on both of them.

As far as the interpretation of a Giga....Hmmm....well I dunno. It makes sense with another rumor that sounded pretty creditable where they talked with some High Up guy (possibly the same person as Disney interviewed) and he said they were working with Intiman and he was quoted as saying "this'll deffinatly put KBF on the coaster map" or something of that nature. I was quick to think hyper when I read his interview, but putting both those rumors together I'm thinking Giga as well. I dunno how they're going to fit it in, but...anything's possible. I'm looking forward to the announcment soon.

sfmm2004
07-25-2001, 04:43 PM
man that would rock!!!!! i hope it happens, although i have many doubts. it'd be so awesome though!

CoasterfanNE
07-25-2001, 04:44 PM
It would make sense that CF would skip giving KBF a hyper and go for a Giga. That would give them a first class ride that would bring the people in. Could mean some real competition for MM.

sfmm2004
07-25-2001, 04:45 PM
anybody know when the announcement will be made? what media will cover it? (radio, tv, internet, newspaper etc)

squeemu
07-25-2001, 04:46 PM
I personally see a Giga as unrealistic, but hey, anything can happen. I think when he said they are borrowing elements from MF, perhaps it will just be a hyper with a few overbanked turns. Either way, I am very excited. However, we must remember that as of now there are 2 gigas in the entire world, and I don't see why Knott's, a fairly small park, would be the next park to get one. It's not like these things are sprouting up all over the place. A hyper is much more realistic, considering space and cost concerns. However, as long as they build something big with no maximum height limit, I will be very excited.

sfmm2004
07-25-2001, 04:46 PM
could it be the tallest and fastest? possibly!

CoasterfanNE
07-25-2001, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by squeemu
I personally see a Giga as unrealistic, but hey, anything can happen. I think when he said they are borrowing elements from MF, perhaps it will just be a hyper with a few overbanked turns. Either way, I am very excited. However, we must remember that as of now there are 2 gigas in the entire world, and I don't see why Knott's, a fairly small park, would be the next park to get one. It's not like these things are sprouting up all over the place. A hyper is much more realistic, considering space and cost concerns. However, as long as they build something big with no maximum height limit, I will be very excited.

You have a good point, but if they do go for a Hyper, I'd bet they look to beat out Goliath.

Matt M
07-25-2001, 05:26 PM
Vekoma tilt coaster, maybe...

antfarm007
07-25-2001, 05:32 PM
Reading that I think they'll go giga, why else would they skip a hyper

antfarm007
07-25-2001, 05:34 PM
Knott's has a higher attendence per year than Cedar Point, but operates year round

birderboy
07-25-2001, 05:39 PM
Maybe all they're borrowing from MF is a cable lift. Or trains. It doesn't have to be the design. Giga's possible, I don't think so personally.

Steven
07-25-2001, 09:13 PM
Doesn't that mean that Intamin is building Knott's coaster too, since MF and California Screamin' were both built by Intamin, and that the ideas mentioned were used before in at least one of their coasters?

Also, remember there was mention that Intamin had a giga design that was cheaper than some of the others and would fit in the tighter spaces like Cedar Point. So, if space is a concern at Knott's and if they were to put anything in there, Intamin would be the people to do it.

The_Evil_Tediz
07-25-2001, 09:28 PM
KBF would be a logical place for a giga.

pyro
07-25-2001, 09:57 PM
I bet it will probably be higher than goliath.

Jim Payne
07-26-2001, 01:02 AM
I think it's safe to say it's from Intamin. As for a Giga, well.... Jack did say in an interview a while back something to the effect of out-doing SFMM. Also, did you notice the part about buying land across the street? SUre it's for storage of back - jammer, but then what do you do with a chunk of land? Perhaps a new parking lot using the old for expansion? We'll see, but it sounds cool! Aslo, what was the part about vehicles? The vehicles on Expedition G-Force are different than MF. Makes ya think. As far as land, take a look at the pathways between rides at the park, removed trees... Etc....

HisDougness
07-26-2001, 07:17 PM
It could be a giga, but not necessarily... there was a rumor floating around for a while about a hyper-inverted coaster. I'm more inclined to believe the giga rumor because it's pretty widely accepted that Intamin is building it, and they've already build one giga for CF. I cant wait to find out! (Although i cant wait even more to ride it)

Cycovisions3
07-27-2001, 01:18 AM
I would be totally excited if Knotts gets a Giga but they hardly have any room for one. If they put one in I'd like to see how it fits.

antfarm007
07-27-2001, 09:45 AM
Knotts is goin giga, so is Michigans Adventure (jk bout MA)

Tom Zeliff
07-27-2001, 04:54 PM
What's this, what's this? A poll? And it's not in the polls forum? Bad poll! No biscut! Moved!

-Tom

Andy Hodgson
07-27-2001, 05:54 PM
i think Knotts will go huge hyper but not quite giga
kinda like Goliath

cgodsey
07-27-2001, 05:58 PM
Why on earth would they build a coaster like Goliath? What kind of advertising would that be? Come to Knott's we have a new coaster just like at Magic Mountain... I don't think so, man...

I would expect the coaster to be an Intamin Giga because CF signed a multi-coaster deal with them and it would boost attendance bigtime and give them an edge over SFMM

HisDougness
07-28-2001, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by cgodsey
Why on earth would they build a coaster like Goliath? What kind of advertising would that be? Come to Knott's we have a new coaster just like at Magic Mountain... I don't think so, man...

I would expect the coaster to be an Intamin Giga because CF signed a multi-coaster deal with them and it would boost attendance bigtime and give them an edge over SFMM

I dont think he meant that it will be a Goliath clone, or even similar to Goliath. He just meant that it'll be like Goliath in the sense that it won't be 300 feet, but it will be a really tall hyper, over 250 feet.

Jim Payne
07-29-2001, 03:35 AM
Here's the goods on the new coaster...

LSM Launch. 200+ Vertical, barrel roll (ala Mr. Freeze), near vertical dive. Figure 8 overbanked turns ala MF. 1950's styled cars... Intamin Box track.

This is all the info I have so far.

Jim Payne
08-05-2001, 09:14 AM
The borrowed design elements are the vehicle trucks, box track and 122 degree angled turns.

markm62
08-05-2001, 02:14 PM
maybe, but i'm not sure.

Kronos
08-06-2001, 05:43 AM
I personally think they are going to build an intamin hyper with a steep cable lift like MF and some over banked turns. I seriously doubt the giga. Do they even have the room to cram a giga in their park?

CoolCoasterKid
08-06-2001, 10:47 AM
If it's a giga and it's higher/faster/better than MF, I'm going to be so pissed since I live in NJ, and you guys in California will get this huge coaster on top of X(hopefully running by the end of this year) and Deja Vu not being too far away. Though they could stick to a hyper and not go too high, perhaps a bit bigger than Goliath. But either way, I would expect this to be a very different design than Goliath, perhaps this one looking for lots of airtime, because if it just went for g-forces Goliath would probably be tough to beat. This sounds cool :)