PDA

View Full Version : orlando help

gspot
07-27-2001, 12:34 AM
besides the main theme parks in orlando, what minor attractions are worth doing? How are those dinner theaters like medeival times, and the mystery dinner thing. Just wondering if there are some other things worth doing in orlando.

ecdubfan
07-27-2001, 01:39 AM
Many people overlook this...its a must do.

I've done Capones and Mideavel Times. They were ok, but nothing to really brag about. Otherwise, there is a whole bunch of just about anything to do. Whatever floats your boat, so to say.

robvia
07-27-2001, 08:23 AM
Take I-4 to I-192 and go east. You'll find OldTown in Kissimmee where they have the 300 foot sky coaster. Unless there is another I don't know about, this one is the world record holder, so that's why you wanna conquer it. You go up so high, it seems like you're looking out the window of an airplane. Go here for more info.

http://www.skyfun.com/

The best dinner show to see is called Arabian Nights, also located on I-192 about 1 mile east of I-4. Tricky to find, it's on the north side of the road down a side street.

http://www.arabian-nights.com/

In this one, you get a great dinner. You walk into the arena and sit down to a nice salad. Then it's either a slice of meat with vegetables. kids chicken fingers, or vegetable lasagna, served with bread rolls, and all the bear, wine or soda you want. You are waited on the entire time, leave a nice tip at the end. After dinner they serve you cake for desert. You sit looking over an arena, it's huge. A prince and princess are about to be married, but she's stolen away. Then they do entertainment shows like a charriot race, horse jumping in a ring, and a comedy routine. At the end the princess is found, but dies when she falls off a horse. The black arabian comes back and magically brings her back to life. The effects and sound system are incredible.
If you go, you wanna make reservations, and get there 1.5 hours before the show starts so you get middle seats. They have a bar where you can have a few drinks before you go into the arena.
This is definately a must see, even if you've been to the other horse shows. I believe show times are at 06:00pm and 08:30pm, and they sell out, so make a reservation, that just holds your seat, you don't have to pay to make a reservation.

antfarm007
07-27-2001, 10:14 AM
many of these other places and dinner shows are just tourist traps, you can go to China Theme Park by Outback Steakhouse, over where like all of the hotels are, such as Sheraton, Clarion, and it goes on forever

oh wait, the China Theme Park is another one of those tourist traps with no rides

wahooskipper
07-27-2001, 07:09 PM
I was under the impression that Splendid China was closed. Hmm. For other attractions, the two water parks...Water Mania and Wet 'n Wild are pretty cool. Water Mania has the surfing ride that is pretty cool.

Does anyone know if the "parachute" attraction is still open over near Universal. It was sort of a parachute simulator which was a good "rush".

Catherine
07-27-2001, 07:12 PM
The Cirque de Soleil show La Nouba is awesome!!!! Don't miss it!

I have also seen the Murder Mystery Dinner (Clues?) and it was very good as well.

Honan Beetch
07-27-2001, 08:01 PM
The minor attractions are great, but I think you should go to the theme parks more. I think Florida is a beautiful state, not only because of the theme parks and roller coasters.

OTownLokelYokel
07-28-2001, 11:35 AM
Be sure to stay at a resort with a nice pool, and take advantage of that. Disney has good availability these days - and outstanding pools at Yacht/Beach Club (walk to Epcot; boat to Studios) - or in the moderate category - Port Orleans Riverside. And Typhoon Lagoon (water park) has something for just about everyone - great themeing as well.

If you're doing Disney parks, arrive early, then take a 'pool break' around 3 pm when the parks fill. Come back for the last three hours or so lines go down as people await the evening spectaculars.

If you're in Orlando for four days or more, a day away at the Gulf coast beaches (much to be preferred over the Atlantic side) is great.

Not a water rat? On the Gulf side within 2 hours you can visit Sarasota - beautiful area, great shopping, nice restaurants. Or head down route 27 to Highlands Hammock State Park - wonderful trails and many birds to be watched. Another park - close on the north side of Orlando is Blue Springs. A nice trail there as well but if you enjoy park walks, don't miss Highlands Hammock - where you'll see the 'real Florida'.

I hope these hints helped and that you'll enjoy your vac!

Swimming King
07-28-2001, 03:25 PM
One of my favorite attractions was the Krispy Kreme donut shop :D Other than that, there's a bunch of stuff in Kissime, and downtown Orlando.

Natelox
07-28-2001, 04:35 PM
GATERLAND!!! just kiddin, its not that good.

S:ROSFNE
07-29-2001, 11:53 AM
Definetly the Kissimee Sky Coaster. That thing is great. But there are hundreds of other small attractions lined up next to the highway in Orlando and Kissimee.

wahooskipper
07-29-2001, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Swimming King
One of my favorite attractions was the Krispy Kreme donut shop :D Other than that, there's a bunch of stuff in Kissime, and downtown Orlando.

Oh man...you are right!! Best food stop in Orlando!