PDA

View Full Version : Great Adventure 2002 Stuff

AJRNWO316
07-27-2001, 08:19 PM
Iíve bitten my lip for too long on this topic and canít any longer (this topic being what Six Flags Great Adventure may be getting next year). Iíve scoured the internet, read all the rumors and I canít stand it anymore. Now I know itís perfectly normal to speculate, and say, ďOh, I heard they will be getting a (insert coaster here)Ē but thereís just some things that get to me.

First off, I canít stand when people say where they got their sources from especially when itís something ridiculous. For example:My brothers best friends uncles fathers half brothers half sisters dogs owners husband is a maintenance worker at the park and he is friends with someone high up in management
and this is what they told me... Just post your rumor and move on.

Thatís the thing I really canít stand and had to get that off my chest. Lets move on to business.

Ever since Nitro has opened, here is what has been rumored for the 2002 season: A standup, a new woodie, a v2, deja vu, acrophobia, a wild mouse, an inverted wild mouse, a new inverted, a giga coaster, a 4d, a tilt coaster, and a flying dutchman.

We can take a v2, deja vu, wild mouse, inverted wild mouse, and a tilt coaster off the list As you know, Great Adventure is a very busy park and a very busy park needs high capacity rides. Any type of wild mouse ride or tilt coaster isnít anywhere near high capacity. A wild mouse ride can hold 2 or 3 people per car and maybe have 10 cars on the track at once. The lines would be out the door for this thing. How many people out there want to go on a wild mouse after getting off Nitro? I know I donít. A tilt coaster i think can take 800 people per hour. Not up to Great Adventure standards. Plus the one they are building in Taiwan now is having all sorts of troubles. Why risk it. A v2 just barely made this list. I wouldnít mind riding one of these. Unfortunately, the lines just move too slow.

Next, we take deja vu, a new inverted, a giga coaster and a 4d off the list. Deja vu has had too many problems this year. I know I donít want to be in a car when that thing derails like it did before. Why get a new inverted when you have a perfectly good one? Batman is still a great ride and there is no reason to get a new inverted. How many parks out there have gotten a hyper one year and followed it up with a giga the very next year?
If memory serves me correct... none. Lastly... my favorite... a 4d. Now I would love to get one of these things for next year but I just donít see it happening. Arrow has a 2 year wait and I donít remember hearing that Six Flags corp put 2 orders in. Hey, I may be wrong, please tell me if I am.

Now we have a standup, a woodie, acrophobia and a flying dutchman left. Iíve heard a rumor that viper and rotting lumber are gone after this season and in itís place are a new woodie and a standup; this is what Iíd like to see most. Acrophobia would be nice but thereís Stuntmanís Freefall. Lastly, a flying dutchman. I heard it would be put near the lake and youíd fly over it very low to the water. That would be cool.

My money is on a B&M standup for next year (if they get a new coaster next year). From what Iíve heard, B&M only does multi-coaster deals. A park signs a 2 or 4 coaster deal with them. Two coasters must be built within 5 years. Four coasters must be built within a 10 year period. When was Great Adventureís first B&M built? Well if you donít feel like looking it up, it was Batman the Ride in 1993. Next was Medusa and that was in 1999. Then Nitro came along and that was in 2001 (for all you people hiding under a rock). That means a new B&M must be built in the next two years. What type of coasters does B&M design? Do they do wooden? Nope. Flying dutchman? No. How about standups? WELL PEOPLE, WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

So if Great Adventure gets a new coaster in the next two years, Iíd put my money on a standup. Thanks for dealing with me.

HighJander
07-27-2001, 09:01 PM
Ok the whole stand-up theory sounds interesting even though i think stand-ups are rubbish... not when u can sit on medusa and it does practically the same elements. I wouldnt count out the 4d quite yet. I have heard that Six Flags has 2 other 4d's on the list. Probably so they could have one on the West, East, and right in the middle. Since I think SFGAdv is the East's Flagship park in the six flags chain... i wouldnt count the 4d out. High capacity and a most anticipated ride.

Andy Hodgson
07-27-2001, 09:29 PM
this is a duplicate thread

Amy
07-27-2001, 11:58 PM
Why would they install a standup when all it would do is basically the same things as Medusa? There really isn't a point. They already have 3 B&Ms anyway. I think that they'd go for something a little different.

It seems that Great Adventure is usually installing fairly innovative rides. I think it would be a bad decision for them to install a standup. It doesn't seem very much like them anyway.

AJRNWO316
07-28-2001, 01:02 AM
I agree with both HighJander and Evil Princess about the standup's. And thank you HighJander for letting me know about the 2 other 4d's. I know I'd love to have a 4d in my homepark. I myself wouldn't mind getting a 4d, a new wooden a standup and a flying dutchman. The only one in this group that I've been on is a wooden. Everything else would be a new experience to me (a 4d would be a new experience to most people).

Medusa1861
07-28-2001, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Jester
this is a duplicate thread
Shut up you didn't read!! Sorry to tell you this but from what i have gotten SFGAdv is getting an impulse, 4D, and Flying. Six Flags doesn't give out info that they put in 2 orders for a 4d!! People just have wishful thinking on a woodie and i rally want a stand-up but it is not going to SFGAdv it's going to SFA probably

HighJander
07-29-2001, 04:35 PM
Id rather have the 4d than a stand-up

trock476
07-29-2001, 04:49 PM
Im no SFGAdv expert, but i can pretty much bet you dollars to dounts there will be no stand-up coaster. B&M has, apparently from what I've heard, been averting parks from stand-ups(a lot of stress on the legs, general confusion in the loading system), especially now since they have the floorless, inverted, and soon-to-be flying, all of which (with the exception of flying) are already tested and proven, and can do all the same moves as a stand-up. I can't say for sure what, if anything, they will get, but I can tell you it will not be a stand-up.

Honan Beetch
07-29-2001, 05:58 PM
I hope Six Flags Great Adventure gets a 4-D coaster. Actually, they don't have to get any coaster next year because Nitro is awesome enough. Nitro is the best coaster!

Antuan
07-30-2001, 03:07 PM
Dag Medusa 1861, be nice!!! Anyway, I see a 4-d also. And whats this garbage I keep hearing about it not being proven technology. The fact that its being built means its proven!

CoasterFan4Life
07-30-2001, 04:01 PM
i dont think being built means it's proven. For something to be considered proven, I would say it has to be running. With all new coasters, there are bugs that need to be worked out, and with the 4-d, which is totally different than anything we have seen so far, I would say MM is in for some serious tech. problems. And who knows, maybe X will turn out to be very dissapointing(although i doubt it). only time will tell, but I'll tell you one thing, I cant wait to ride one, looks awesome. but I think i'd rather a B&M flying, I've rode batwing, and if vekoma can make one really good, a B&M would prob. be the best coaster out there!!!

AJRNWO316
07-30-2001, 07:26 PM
CoasterFan4Life, I had no clue B&M was building flying dutchmans. I change my prediction to a B&M flying dutchman. Everyone is right in saying that a standup at Great Adventure would be too much like Medusa. And I'm no longer as mad as I was when I wrote this post. Things are falling together.

coasterfreak1080
07-30-2001, 08:57 PM
yup

CoasterFan4Life
07-31-2001, 11:38 PM
well I wouldnt exactly call it a flying dutchman, that is vekoma's name...but it will be B&M's version of a flying coaster, and is promising to have some kind of never before seen something???it will be built at alton towers for next season...anyone with any further info get back to me!

coastergenius100
08-01-2001, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Medusa1861

Shut up you didn't read!! Sorry to tell you this but from what i have gotten SFGAdv is getting an impulse, 4D, and Flying. Six Flags doesn't give out info that they put in 2 orders for a 4d!! People just have wishful thinking on a woodie and i rally want a stand-up but it is not going to SFGAdv it's going to SFA probably

I sure hope that SFA gets a stand-up next year, that would be an optimum choice for the park.

AJRNWO316
08-01-2001, 01:48 PM
Even if Great Adventure gets something new next year, I don't think it'll live up to Nitro. I love that coaster too much. It'll take a lot to separate me from it.

gvntofly1021
08-01-2001, 02:29 PM
coasterfan4life, go to www.sw5online.com
it has lots of stuff on B&M's "Prone" (flying) coaster being built at alton towers.
personally, just the style of seating is enough to make me want one of these more than a vekoma clone anyday.

DragonSamurai
08-01-2001, 05:41 PM
LOL medusa temper temper..... and you are right jester must have not read the post at all...goood post man makes sense, but i dont think a stand up is gona hapen, it was a trend that ended it seems....

HighJander
08-02-2001, 03:17 AM
Its definately not proven just because its being built... Look at Deja Vu... lol need i say more, anyway I see the 4d although I dont think since SFA has a flying that does not mean SFGadv cant have one... they both have totally different people coming to each back... who for NY,NJ, or PA is going to drive 3 hours or more to go to SFA? and I think the preliminary name for the B&M flying is the the Prone Coaster... atleast thats what ive heard people call it.

DrachenFire96
08-02-2001, 06:00 AM
I see them putting in a coaster of some kind, I don't see a flying dutchman because of SFA just a few hours away. I don't see another hyper, let alone a giga due to cost, and I doubt a stand up. I had a link to the Maryland planning department but its dead now because I guess its been either updated or removed from public viewing, but on it was a tentative schedule for SFA, thus far everything that was on it, came true, except for the stand up. So is a standup going to SFGadv? I doubt that too. I think either a 4-d will go to either SFGadv or SFOG so that the east coast will have one, thats assuming no major problems are reported with X. Me personnally, I think SFGadv needs a real wooden coaster, that park is screaming for new wood, and "Rotting Lumber" is not up to par to today's woodies. As for the speculation that Viper is coming down, well then a new coaster of some type replacing it would keep their coaster count at 11 and that would be ashame for the fact that PKD will have 12 this Spring with the new Mouser. That would make PKD the coaster capital of the east coast...and SFA can't compete with the limitations of the county only allowing one coaster to be built a year (special exception for Jinx and Two Face).

DrachenFire96
08-02-2001, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by HighJander
Its definately not proven just because its being built... Look at Deja Vu... lol need i say more, anyway I see the 4d although I dont think since SFA has a flying that does not mean SFGadv cant have one... they both have totally different people coming to each back... who for NY,NJ, or PA is going to drive 3 hours or more to go to SFA? and I think the preliminary name for the B&M flying is the the Prone Coaster... atleast thats what ive heard people call it.

DrachenFire96
08-02-2001, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by HighJander

I don't see why people for there wouldn't drive to SFA. I drive 7 hours to get to SFGadv and its no big deal to me...whats 3 hours??? SFA is 3 hours from me and I have been 6 times this year already.

AJRNWO316
08-02-2001, 03:41 PM
It would be dumb for great adventure not to build a flying coaster because a park 3 hours away has one. I know that I'm not driving three hours to ride a flying coaster. It'll take a lot more than that to persuade me.

GAcoasterguy
08-03-2001, 01:23 PM
I think the best bets for next year would be a woodie and an impulse. SFGAdv really needs another woodie, and an impulse would fit nicely on the site where Viper now stands (a long, thin strip of land). Originally, they were going to relocate one of the loops from Lightning Loops there, but the shipped them off to other parks. Stand-up is out of the question, because they already had one, and people hated it (Shockwave[now Batman the Escape at SFAW]). A 4D or flying dutchman maybe, but not likely until they finish working out the problems with the flying dutchmen at SFWOA and SFA, and until 4D is up and running without problems at SFMM. In the New York metropolitan area, people will sue and go to the news media with ANY LITTLE THING, which means that technology has to be WELL TESTED before it goes in at SFGAdv. Medusa was the exception (being first of it's kind), but there's really nothing that different about a floorless.

SFGadvKing
08-03-2001, 03:11 PM
if you say they are due for a B&M remember that B&M also has flying coasters. I have a feeling that they build nothing new for 2002, but i hope im wrong. why would they, they just built what some people say is the second best coaster right behind the force.

Erik Johnson
08-03-2001, 04:21 PM
Please post all Six Flags Great Adventure rumors here from now on. We've got too many threads about the same park.

http://www.coasterforum.com/boards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=800